The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, it's tricky, but I'm told there is a way to do those headlights on the Malibu. I had an 08 Allure that had similar issues, and it was only barely possible to move the headlight cluster out enough to contort one's hands up enough to just be able to change the bulb. Don't take off that bumper unless you really feel there's no other choice, you'll never get it lined up right if you do and half of those sh-tty little clips will probably break.

History lesson for today (if anyone cares)
Ike was an interesting guy, a bit of a stick in the mud, and as President, a great caretaker. He's known to have preferred his golf game to running the ship of state, and was ever more disconnected as his last term wore on. He didn't much care for "Tricky Dick" Nixon, but increasingly let him do more and more of the day to day Presidential stuff. That's one of the reasons Dick was so put off when he lost to JFK in 1960; he felt that Joe Kennedy had bought the election and that the "Ivy League Elite" froze him out of the running. After 1960, he was determined not to lose again, so he cheated and destroyed the Democrats in 1968, and again in 1972. The problem was he actually didn't have to in '72, he was way ahead in popularity and public opinion. He was the guy who was ending the Vietnam War, and the American economy was prosperous. But, Dick couldn't resist himself, authorized the Watergate break in, and the rest is history. Had it not been for Watergate and the resulting scandal, Dick Nixon would have actually gone down in history as one of America's better Presidents.
I did an article in the ENS "Planchet" on rating the American presidents shortly after the current one was elected. I think it's still accessible online in the edmontoncoinclub.com website.
Mike, funny you mention the Ike Dollar. They generally weren't silver, only the proofs from San Francisco ever were. If it's from Denver or Philly, it's a cupronickel sandwich. The last real American circulating silver dollars were the 1935 Peace Dollars that everyone hated as well. The more common Morgan Dollar (made from 1878 to 1921) was used extensively by the Las Vegas gaming industry in the 70s. They were hated too, and the US Mint had so many of them that in 1881 an avalanche of them in one of the vaults at the Frisco branch killed a mint official. It's kind of funny that Americans hated silver dollars and dollar coins of any kind, and would do anything to avoid accepting one. The modern Sacajawea dollars are also loathed and generally useless; I find more of them up here in Canada than in the US. So the US Mint tried something that worked for them in the past, putting dead presidents on them, and they were still reviled.

I guess I flew on a 737 Max earlier this year; - it's shocking to consider I almost died...
I'm not too enamoured of the current fleet of 737s, they are an aging design that's been pushed to it's absolute limit and with the new engines jutting further past the leading edge, probably have some unique weight and balance issues and flight characteristics that have to be controlled by computer. Boeing built the original on the cheap, they never expected it to be as successful as it was, being that it was introduced late in the game after the DC-9, BAC 1-11 and Sud Aviation Caravelle had already saturated the market. The double redundancies that the 707 and the 727 had weren't transferred over largely because of costs. The big one was the rudder which was fitted with only one servo and not two. That was responsible for 2 major crashes, and I don't ever recall reading that they actually redesigned or replaced the design, they just modified the existing ones. All that aside though, it is still one of the most successful designs out there, in production and flying since 1969. My favorite still is the old dinosaur, the 707. Those things were as tough as nails and as smooth as a plank. Barring that, give me an old Constellation, the prettiest design ever flown. And yes, I am partial to the old DC-3; I flew one only once back when I was a lot shorter and younger. As an adult I was extremely depressed to find that there's no way I could fly one now without modifying the cockpit. I hate my height...

Anyway, enough blather...have a great night!
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:55 PM

Allan, Marc is right about changing the headlights, don't remove the bumper if you don't have to. My former Saturn had the same method for headlamp replacement. I would do a online search on how to do it without removing the bumper. The Saturn could be done by removing the front wheels one side at a time, and then removing a couple of clips from the fender wells in order to reach up to the bulb from behind. I actually did try this once when it was 17° outside. After about ten minutes my fingers were tingling and I was cursing the cold, I said the hell with it and let the Buick dealership do it for fifty bucks. When I bought my Hyundai, I asked the service tech about that, and he showed me that no bumper removal was necessary to replace the bulbs on it. Just a couple of screws. Marc, no problem with the history lesson. I also have a couple of "Ike" dollars. Big s.o.b's.
Old June 26th, 2019, 02:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hit the ground running, as they say, and signed off a bunch of wheels. Now we're in a lull that will probably last until after 6, so I thought I'd weigh in. Hope everyone has a good start to your day.

Allan from what I can see, we don't fly YEG-LAX, and the flight your son was on was a code share on WestJet. It also looks like he would connect in Calgary. My guess is the problem was with WestJet and Delta didn't have any other options for him. That is puzzling, though, because on July 3 we do fly, operated by SkyWest, to Minneapolis and then LA. Don't know why we wouldn't offer him that flight. If you can find his original flight numbers I might be able to do some more sleuthing, not that it matters now. I am curious, though.

Marc that's pretty interesting about Eisenhower. I wonder if at the time people thought he was more interested in golf, or if that kind of stuff is hindsight. I, for one, would not like toting around a pocket full of Eisenhower dollars. They are about 2lb apiece. I kid of course. But more than a couple and you'd be walking with a list.

Cars these days are designed for the ease of manufacture, not maintenance. Or, whatever the component designer sees on his computer screen, the rest of the car be damned. My friends had a Cadillac DTS that you had to take the bumper facia off to change the parking light bulb. That's just dumb.

I feel pretty good so far. Went to bed around 7 and woke up at 12, then woke up with the alarm at 215. This will be the second day of inspection for me, along with tomorrow, then I'll be back to my desk job Friday. Although I do the desk thing two hours in the morning for overtime.

Well have a good day everyone. Time for the morning meeting and then get down to business.
Old June 26th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Allan, I may not remember this correctly but I recall that one of the biggest complaints on the new Malibu was from older people having trouble getting in and out of it. I heard some story of a couple trading one back in because of that.
Yesterday was a great day, went with the neighbors to Battle Creek, Mi. to look at a 2006 Mazda Miata. Very nice car and they bought it. Today looks great also- love it!
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Marc, I love the history lessons, Please keep them coming

IMHO IKE was worn out of politics. After holding together the BIG EGOS of the Allies [ Sometime at the cost of lives a la Operation Market Garden]] If memory serves me correctly, He'd also had a few heart attacks [chain smoker] so maybe it was time to play more golf and let the politician Do what they do best [line their pockets] I firmly believe the speech [posted above] was a warning from someone who knew WTF was going on

Cut paste,

Weed eat/cut grass /sell cemetery plots -repeat

Try to sneek off to play golf

Allan, Since de Super model went to the beach for a few days, I'm continuing my "bachelor diet" Sardine and onion sandwich for lunch

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

I must still be dreaming cuz it's not raining this morning. Bahahaha, late morning and afternoon T-storms in the forecast. Sheesh, maybe there's something to this climate change thing that scientists are getting wrong. Like - it's getting wetter instead of hotter. I looked out at the back lawn and it's now getting mushrooms from all the moisture and probably bird poop or something. Oh well, this is spoda be the wet month up here, and I guess we were spoiled during the past 3-4 years with getting darn near 0 rain in May / June at all. Kinda puts a damper on planning outside activities though.

Interesting comments on the Malibu headlights. I have googled headlight replacement on that car several times and the videos that come up all show removal of the front bumper cover to access the headlight pods. Apparently there are some models like the Cruze that have earned the reputation for having those little plastic tabs break on the bumper cover, but the Malibu seems to be exempt from that. I'd rather attempt this job in the summer when the plastic is more flexible than in a few months when it will be frozen, since the car sits outside.

Greg - You could very well be right about the Malibu complaint. It does have a relatively sloped roof line and I find it's a PITA to get in/out of. I found that even with the 2018 model I looked at recently, although the 18/19 models are somewhat less of a problem. Then again the 18/19's are so computer driven it's like being in Darth Vader's Ty Fighter cockpit: The feeling is you're just there for the ride while the computers take over everything else. I do like the interior of our Malibu, it has nice color choices and it's very quiet and nice riding. My only complaint is the headrest isn't adjustable and is awkward for my neck.

Marc - Being somewhat numismatically challenged I had to look up that Sacagawea dollar. I guess it's similar to our Loonie in concept? There's been rumors for years now that Canada is also looking at a $5 coin to accompany our loonie and toonie but IDK if that's even reasonable now that we've gone to mylar notes that are supposedly much harder to counterfeit and mutilate.

Mike - The original itinerary shows the flight being Delta 7174 but operated by West-jet booked and confirmed back on April 18 Dep YEG 0830 July 3 --- Arr LAX 11:00. Hmmm. No change to the return flight. Delta 7175 again operated by West-jet. Dep LAX 11:45 am --- Arr YEG 3:57 pm. Both of those flights were listed as direct with no stop at YYC. Delta's first call was to offer an alternative flight that was YEG-YVR-LAX but the problem is it arrived LAX at 8:45 pm and he needed to be there in the early afternoon to pick up the keys for the AirBnb they had rented for the week. The only other option Delta could find was the YEG-YYZ-LAX that left YEG around midnight and arrived LAX at 12:45 or so after a 4 hour layover in YYZ. That's a really long day of traveling and in all honesty makes no sense to me at all. I'm really curious why the original flight was canceled since it was already confirmed back in April. Not like anyone can do anything about it at this stage in the game though.

Dan - Up here the going rate in the shops is about $120/hr and I'm sure the book rate is at least an hour just to change the headlights. So I'll make the effort to do it myself. The Saturn and Malibu might have the same problem, but no way in heck I'm taking off the wheels to do this job. The car is already so low to the ground it's not funny. When it goes out of the driveway (we have about a 2% grade) the bottom of the bumper cover hits the curb by the asphalt most of the time. GM sure has some wonky designs. Oh, I did ask about the headlight change on the newer models and the sales guy showed me they can be changed without removing the bumper cover, but some other parts under the hood have to be removed first. I think their designers are totally FUBAR.
Old June 26th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Wit cher bachelor diet I expects ya won't be attractin any new blood of the wimmen variety. Ya might become more attractive to de cats tho.... I had a co worker who used to eat either Herring or sardines in a sammich he'd make at the lunchroom table ever day. He ate alone mostly even thugh there was plenty of people in the room. Evn ifn he came and sat wit people, they would move... The BIL loves plain onjun sammiches. He's in his late 50's now and yup, still single. Wonder why? Ahahaha, cuz he's lazy and wimmen doesnt' find a 250lb slob attractve even ifn he does own a crib dat prolly doesnt have a werkin shower. I guess ders won in every family somewhere.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Always room for one more

Allan I looked up that flight number, and it flies July 2 and all days before, in fact it flew today. It does not fly July 3 but does July 4-5, takes Saturday off, and then is a daily flight except some Saturdays. Looks like 7175 does the same thing. This is rather odd. If your son can fudge a day here or there he'll still be able to take 7174. I wonder if it became a holiday cancellation.

Finished inspecting wheels a little after 1. I'm wasting time before I go to my regular area. The lead is off today and that fat a$$hole was left in charge. My ears start to bleed whenever he starts talking. But I didn't leave with the inspectors because I want my 2 hours of overtime.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
I got back from the morning walk a short while ago. I went 3.75 miles and averaged 17minutes 7 seconds per mile. Too warm for Lucy with the sun out.
Well the sun is shinning and no clouds in the sky so I believe I am going and get the big trailer and get my dirt and river rock. I have finished the flower beds and all the planting. I think if will get the dirt spread and be ready for the sod next week. Then I can start rebuilding the patio and deck. That is the big project. I will probably work on that in the evening after the sun passes over and it is shaded.
Jim, I imagine you are using Vidalia onions. Maybe they are better with sardines but I think I would have to pass. Definitely not chick magnet food.
Allan, good luck on the lights. It is crazy. It is just another thing to out us DIY's out of business.
Have a good day everybody.
Glenn
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - I wish it was something he could fudge but it's a done deal now. He's heading down to LA with friend for an Anime thon. That's really weird how they arrange those flights. It apparently was flying when they booked it back in April. No rhyme or reason for it I think. Not sure about the holiday flight cancellation but it's really close to July 1 (Canada Day) and July 4 (Independence Day). I wonder how that will affect their plans while in LA?

Glenn - Chick magnet foods?? Hahahaha...at our age?? Congrats on your perseverance on your walks. How big a patio and deck are you rebuilding anyway?
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

43/39
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
43/39

Good job Norm

Allan, I guess ya don't want any of my liverworts, bacon and onion sandwich

Glenn, If I wanted a "chick magnet" I get a Golden retriever puppy. I jes enjoy sum food my wife Hates
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Running On Empty

I was told today I am not shifting my weight properly - I'm still reverse pivoting. I know this. I hate it. Tomorrow I'm spending several hours on the range. Argh!
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Norm, I saw a lady in a store wearing a "Guess" t-shirt

So I said , " Implants"

She slapped the $hit out of me

My long awaited point..............................Some times ya can;t win fer loosing
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Sprizingly enough I'm one who likes Liverwurst. Ok, I'll go with bacon on it too but hold de onjuns. You ever speriment wit de difrent kinds of flavored wurst?
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Running On Empty

I like shooting Mourning Doves, ripping their guts out, skinning them while pulling their heads off, wrapping a slice of bacon around them, baking them in the oven @ 375* x 45' and eating a half dozen.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Allan, No, I don't believe I've ever seen anything but Liver flavored liver worst

Norm, We used to have a good dove shoot up here before all the subdivisions came in. Tar Baby [ my departed lab] hated retrieving them cause the feathers stuck to his mouth. if he picked up a wounded on he'd always give it a little crunch to stop the feathers from flying. Personally I prefer quail and duck over doves
Old June 26th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Oh no, not again...

Jamesbo, there are different flavors of spreadable Wurst. But they're all awful as far as I'm concerned, and there is a different variety of Liverwurst that already has the garlic and onions laced into it. I'm gagging just thinking about it. My mother loves the crap, and she used to feed it to me when I was a kid, - and at 4 years old I told I hated it and would get sick if she fed it to me again; - she did and I did, and she had a hell of a mess to clean up.

Ike was totally bored with the Establishment and politics by the time he ended his run. He had been the president of Columbia University after he left the Army in 1948, and he was the 1st Supreme Commander of NATO from 1950-52. So when the Republicans finally got a hold of him in 1952, he was already pretty tired of the whole mess and sort of just went with it. He had always said that the Army and politics should be separate, and as long as he was part of the Army, he would not entertain anything political. He had a weird relationship with Columbia; on the one hand they exploited the prestige of having an ex-Supreme Commander on their board, but they also resented him for being essentially an absentee president. He was constantly "advising" or consulting with both the army and the government, and when he took up with NATO in 1950 he more or less abandoned them and yet when he offered his resignation, they refused. The Democrats had been courting him since the end of the war, and he finally brushed them off completely in 1951 when he declared Republican. He quit smoking (cold turkey) in 1949.He was reputed to have told his secretary, "It was easy, all you have to do is stop feeling sorry for yourself". He started having heart issues in 1955, and yes, they forced him to "take it easy". He also had a stroke in '57. His way of taking it easy was to hit the golf course. His last years of Presidency were more or less from a golf course, he didn't go to the office much after 1956. But he didn't stop being involved, and even after his terms were over, he still stayed wired into government and public service until a major heart attack forced him to really slow down in 1965.

One thing Ike was, was very calming and a father figure during an age when the wrong word could have set the world on fire. He knew exactly what to say and when. That isn't to say he didn't just roll over, he made some threats and took stances, it's just that his reputation for being a fair and balanced leader put a lot of weight into what he said, people would listen, and so would the Russians who were terrified of him. They understood he meant what he said, and if he had said "we bomb at 9 tonight" they would have been running for cover. In domestic politics, his biggest enemy and problem was McCarthy, Ike knew he was a fraud and understood that he was a serious threat to liberty. Ike also didn't really have much use for Hoover either, and it was only after the FBI was implicated in feeding McCarthy bogus information that he was able to quietly suggest to Hoover to back off or possibly lose his job. J. Edgar, despite having a penchant for wigs, fancy cocktail dresses, pumps and a certain type of lipstick, knew where his bread was buttered and who had dossiers, so he cut McCarthy lose, stopped feeding him, and let the system run it's course and over McCarthy.
As I said, when you start reading the back story on some of these people, you get very scared. Your current dicta...ah, "president", scares the bejeebers out of me because he's, ...yeah, I'll stop there.
Let's just say "give me Ike any day, I like Ike".

Who else would you like to know about?

As for the Malibu; - a buddy of mine told me it is just possible to undo the cluster and slide it just far enough to get the light cover twisted off. Once that's off, then you can twist the bulb out with fingertips. The problem is, you have to use surgical gloves when doing this job, or you will touch the bulb, it's inevitable. Allan, you're right to wait until summer, the plastic will not give enough in winter. I know from the stupid Allure (Lacrosse), I was replacing low beam bulbs every March 3 and 6th (it was like clockwork, I kid you not) until GM recalled that POS for a bad headlight relay. I'm inclined to believe my buddy in this case because the Malibu is on the same platform as the Allure (Lacrosse) was. I've done it enough times in the Buick, so the Chevy should be a cakewalk because there's less plastic in the way. It's still an incredibly stupid design though, and yes, it was purely for revenue generation. You can see the main focus of each manufacturer nowadays by the fact that the service department is bigger than the lot or the showroom is. Whatever happened to "standing behind one's product".

Anyway; - that's it for me today...
Old June 26th, 2019, 06:10 PM

My son has a 2018 Silverado. He cracked his taillight-(don't know how). Soon the taillight quit and a warning on the dash said "right taillight malfunction". So how many of us had cracked taillight lenses and didn't worry about it? It needed the whole LED tail lamp assembly! No replacing a 99 cent 1157 bulb! He checked the dealer and a new taillamp was $940.00!! Checked Rockauto. $700.00! Finally got one for $550 at some Chinese place. Such progress!!
Old June 26th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by greg rogers
my son has a 2018 silverado. He cracked his taillight-(don't know how). Soon the taillight quit and a warning on the dash said "right taillight malfunction". So how many of us had cracked taillight lenses and didn't worry about it? It needed the whole led tail lamp assembly! No replacing a 99 cent 1157 bulb! He checked the dealer and a new taillamp was $940.00!! Checked rockauto. $700.00! Finally got one for $550 at some chinese place. Such progress!!
wtf!!!
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:04 AM

Marc, What's your take on the Kennedy assassination? [JFK]
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:24 AM

Well, went and picked up the 300 lb propane tank I told you guys about earlier. I called the seller back with my tail between my legs and didn't really apologize, but more like explained.... I'll back up.. I offered him $200 for the tank he wanted $300 for and he exploded. So I said have a good day and left- I didn't get mad or say anything I would regret, that was a week or so ago. Since then I checked a couple 500 gallon tanks- one was $450. and 100 miles away, and the other one sold at a auction about 30 miles away for $1250. This 300lb one was only about 5 miles away. So yesterday I called him back and said I'm guess I started off on the wrong foot,etc- He sort of seemed like he felt bad about the way it all went down also. Anyway I told him I'd give him the $300. for it. He agreed. So a buddy and I went over and got it last evening. It was 7' long and about 2' in diameter. I had a 10x6 trailer. We took my 2 cherry picker engine hoists and left one on the trailer, put the other on the ground behind the tank,lifted it up and slid the trailer underneath it- wasn't that easy but went OK. So it is here at the barn now, I just need to figure out exactly where to set it and unload it. First time I ever went back and changed my mind about buying something, Actually that's wrong, I have changed my mind before about a car deal once and regretted it. That was why I decided back then to not change a decision... I hope this deal doesn't bite me in the *** later!! Have a good on guys!!
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I've set a couple tanks in my day. Some much easier than others on metal stands constructed of HD angle iron. When I bought my current house (before converting the old home heating oil system) the 300 gallon home heating tank was sitting on a unique (but well-made) stand constructed of CBU (Concrete Block Unit; e.g. cinder block). Each CBU (16 in wide and 8 in long) was simply cross-hatched stacked to form an exterior 'tier' and at the top tier they simply used smaller sized CBU to form a 'cradle' in the middle of the tier in which the tank was set. Rather ingenuous I thought and very sturdy. Just a thought, as it's very easy to make and darn right economical. No futzing w/ mortar - just toss up an exterior wall of CBU and form a cradle of smaller CBU in the middle to hold the tank.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 27th, 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Running On Empty

So the two ends would have looked like this with the tank supported in the middle between the end walls. Rather clever I thought.

Old June 27th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Another day looms in paradise... Hopefully not like yesterday. Seems like everytime I decided to do something outside it started to sprinkle so I'd come inside. Finally around 4 pm I figured it was nice enough and dry enough to get the lawns trimmed since today is trash day. I got the front done, and about 3/4 of the back when it started raining. I thought about stopping but then soldiered on because the lawn would look stupid half cut. Then I came in. And just in time too. The heavens opened up and we got the flood that would have floated Noah's boat! I haven't seen rain and small hail like that in years. The street out front literally disappeared under water and downspouts from houses looked like fire hoses with all the water they were spewing. That lasted for a good 30 minutes and I'm sure everything that was outside got drowned. I guess I won't have to water for quite a few days.

This morning is cool and ghostly - the bodies of all the dead worms everywhere.

Gonna head out this mawnin for brekkie with the boyz but honestly I don't really feel hungry so maybe just coffee.

Greg - I think the tank will be a better choice for you than having to break your back cutting and splitting firewood. Do you have a heater yet or is that still on the list of things to get? I'm not surprised by your son's Silverado tail light. Same thing with Ford; the tail light is worth more than the truck. IDK if the new Fords cost more because of the aluminum bodies but I saw a show where they tried to damage the new Ford panels and they resisted damage very well. But they cost a lot to repair because they're aluminum. A definite Catch 22 situation with body repair. No rusting, higher strength (argued), but higher labor cost.

Jim - Dat has been argued so many times from so many angles; doesn't change the outcome. De movie Full Metal Jacket uses de assassination as a training point ifn you seen it. I'll wait and see what Marc says....
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Running On Empty

Most likely the biggest thing which annoys me are individuals who work in the service industry with apathetic attitudes. Individuals who w/ a snotty, ill-tempered attitude who display and conduct themselves w/ the "I could give a SH&T" behavior; and, are unwilling to actually provide any form of service. I just ran into this at my local automotive parts store Carquest Kittrell Auto Parts Store #8646, Beaufort, NC. I believe they're now owned by Advance Auto Parts. It has nothing to do with the brand or the store name, it has everything to do w/ the person. I came very close to having words w/ this guy this morning.
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Allan, I know, I've read several books on the subject, I'd jes like to see his "Take" I find his historical perspective fascinating. Much more interesting than the fried bologna sandwich I'm fix'in to chow down on .

Norm, Be sure ta take your 1 iron jes in case he needs and attitude adjustment
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Running On Empty

You have potato chips on the fried bologna sandwich?
Old June 27th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You have potato chips on the fried bologna sandwich?

Did Rose Kennedy own a black dress?
Old June 27th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting mawnin shootin de breeze. I think we solved most of the problems we bermembered from de old days, but then again we do that with remarkable consistency every Thursday. I don't miss going to work, and neither to the guys, so why do we reminisce about when we used to work and the antics we got away with back then? Hey, I enjoy the company and the conversations so it's all a good time.

I pulled out the inventory of parts I've accumulated over the years for my Cutlass. I decided about 5 years ago to organize them and store them in numbered boxes for easy reference when I needed them later. Shnikeys! I have 16 boxes and 14 pages of 8.5"x11" pages filled with the information. Lots of NOS, some NORS, but mostly OEM stuff. Some of the OEM I plan to restore and then sell. I can't believe how much stuff I've amassed over the years.

I shouldn't have had brekkie, but I did. Ever have that uncomfortable feeling after ya ate stuff when you weren't really hungry?

Jim - I bermember when bologna sammiches were a staple when I was growing up. After a while we got so bored of it (including putting ketchup on it to mask the taste) that even SPAM was a welcome change. Gak!! I remember when SPAM was around 15¢ a can and came with those twist openers that never really worked well. Now bologna is priced like GM replacement parts, and SPAM is for those who can't afford real food. BTW, I usta stack tater chips in my sammiches and crunch em down between the bread as a kid. All kinds too - salt n vinegar, sour cream n onjun, barbecue. The secret was to use fresh bread that would keep the crumbs from leaking out. Dat was before the days of dill pickle or ketchup and all dressed or fancy chips like they have now. Bermember when Kraft usta have good dips at decent prices? Now I make my own cuz they taste better and cost a whole lot less.
Old June 27th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

Golf range - 1.5 hours. Takeaway - stand still.
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Norm, I've spent the afternoon with my left side up against a door jamb with a piece of tape on the floor trying to rid myself of the sways and straighten my take away
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds more like you're trying to keep the door jamb plumb or the header from fallin down while taping the floor so it won't lift...
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day spinning wheels. We finished up early and my grand finale was escorting the nitrogen guy to fill up the big tank. Airplane tires have nitrogen in them instead of air because nitrogen won't freeze, and it's more stable. Up until now I really thought we built the new tires with shop air, and then they were serviced with nitrogen out on the line. Nope, there's a big tank outside that gets filled with nitrogen and it's pumped into the shop. My Mom's car(the one I have now) when it was new, the dealer put nitrogen in the tires a) to soak an extra fifty bucks out of us, and b) said the tires would last longer. They put blue valve caps on, which apparently is the universal sign for nitrogen-filled tires. Those got stolen straight away.

Jamesbo next time I'm up that way would you make me a fried bologna sandwich? I've always heard how wonderful they are and one day I went to Publix and got some deli bologna. The woman asked if it was for sandwiches. Yup. So she cut it extra thick. Took it home and fried it up just like I was told, and found the whole thing totally lackluster. Perhaps I didn't fry it long enough. Perhaps I didn't cut the edges enough. Perhaps it was an odd concept to this Yankee.

Norm I'm totally with you on today's non-service. I used to work at an auto parts store, and was polite to the customers, said thanks for coming in, the whole thing. I used to work at car dealerships and would bring the customers' cars to the front when they'd come pick them up. I was always polite. These days if you get anything like that at all the person is indifferent at best. Ask Jamesbo what his favorite response to "thank you" is. I crack up every time I'm out and hear it now.

I had an aunt that lived in an 1870s house and the oil tank for the furnace was buried in the yard on the side of the house. You could just see the top sticking up through the grass. You know what else, my Grandmother had a coal furnace in her house once upon a time, and there was a "coal room" in the basement, with a door to the outside. The truck would back up in the yard(I presume) and they'd shovel the coal through the door and into the room next to the furnace. Years later she had that furnace converted to gas. Huge thing it was, and you could see under a little door and the burner was enormous and it looked like some fire breathing dragon. I always thought it was going to explode so I'd never go downstairs in the winter when it was running.

Okay gotta get ready for the torture treatment. Overcast right now but nice out. See ya.
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

I was able to correctly and effectively use this parable once when some A$$HAT who was full of $HIT wouldn't shut up and continued to run his mouth off when everyone listening to him knew he was full of $HIT and wished he'd shut up. He'd get so exacerbated he'd fly off the handle at everyone acting like he knew it all. I managed to noodle my way into his outspoken labyrinth of vacillating garbage and I asked him if he'd heard the story of the fly and the bologna, of course everyone else was key to hear the story as well. He had not heard the story.

So....this guy gets up each day and cooks himself a delicious fried bologna sandwich - always mindful to clean everything up afterwards. One day, he forgets to clean up since he was engaged in other activities. The frying pan filled with bologna drippings began to cool on the stove, and some flies would land, slurp up some of the bologna drippings & fly off - never staying long. Many flies landed then took flight throughout the morning - each fly knowing when they'd had enough. Except - for one fly.

This particular fly never knew when enough was enough. He gorged, and slurped, and gorged and slurped until he was so full of drippings he could barely walk. This fly ran to the end of the frying skillet and leaped into the air to fly away - only to have fallen smack down from the stove onto the floor head first.

I asked the A$$HAT if he knew the parable to this story. He did not. I explained. Don't fly off the handle when you're full of bologna.
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Norm, Mike's referring to " No Problem" I'd like to slap the $hit out of every kid I hear saying that

Mike, I think you are referring to a gravity gas furnace. My dad's house had one and there are so few parts they don't ever break.. When I was a pup, , in the winter, we'd put our undies over the register at night and when we got up they were toastie warm. The whole thing was either cast iron or steel and was made by Pacific

My Grandmother's house [in Ansley Park[ had a coal shoot and a coal bin [room] but they later converted to gas steam heat

Are y'all gonna make me tell the story [parable] of the mouse with the Mercedes and the Rhinoceros?
Old June 27th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that's a good story. Jamesbo just stop saying thank you.
Old June 27th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - As I've mentioned (I think[?]), I was born in Chicago - it's where Mom and Dad met after WWII - neither Mom nor Dad were from Chicago. Mom was one of 14 children in her family of dairy and swine farmers from Wisconsin. Your stories bring back some memories.

Signs in the windows of apartments displaying the number 1, or 2 or 5 or 10, or 20 - referring to the number of pounds of ice the ice man would haul upstairs for the refrigerator - if you wanted to call them refrigerators - I think they were effectively referred to as ice chests back then - looked like a refrigerator but they stored huge blocks of ice with large drip pans. You should (if you have a hankering) read the history of 'ice' production in North America - where ice came from and the railroads which shipped ice throughout the country. I'm convinced I'm a PU&&Y compared to what our grandparents endured.

Not sure you're old enough to remember the days of milk deliveries. Households had a aluminum container outside their front door with a hinged lid on top. Daily or every other day the milkman would deliver milk. I recall as a child how fascinated I was to learn that's how Mom & Dad got the milk.
Old June 27th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Running On Empty

Jim & Mike - I know via eye-witness accounts many homes which were converted from coal>heating oil>wood and all stages in between - those were the days.

Here's one. Mom, raised on the farm in Wisconsin, her and her sister (Lucy) would daily take bricks and heat them on the stove, and wrap them in the bottoms of the blankets on the beds for their brothers to keep their brothers feet warm while they were falling to sleep each night in the ice cold winter months. Yeah, I'm a PU$$Y.
Old June 27th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I turned 52 last week. I sure do remember the milkman deliveries. Our box was galvanized and was on the back porch. Mom would put a note in the box with what she wanted and the milkman would show up early early and put everything in the box. I just figured that's how life was, I didn't realize it was a service and the milkman probably got paid the same way, Mom leaving the money in the box. At some point she stopped the service and the milk box went away. Don't really remember that event.

I grew up in a Chicago Suburb, Park Forest. I'm originally from the Quad Cities. I think every house in Moline had a coal furnace to start out with. The area where my Grandmother lived, the houses were built between 1900 and 1930s. My aunt lived across town in an older section.