The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. This is the first day in I don't know how long I had to share the workspace with Mr. Annoying. Eh, he's gone next week and me the following week. We are consistently not reaching our daily goals and the manager is not a happy boy. Not sure what his plan is but when the shop's ineptness affects him directly, it won't be pleasant for us.

Dan I love that movie. Luckily the car is blue...

Chiro day. I skipped Tuesday so I could go get that car. Tell you the truth, I'm really tired of going there. I have a feeling we went from Round 1 to Round 2 without them saying anything, which is something I didn't want to do. I'm going to ask today.

Hot out with rain in the forecast. Probably not for around here, there isn't a cloud in the sky. Not a lot of time before I have to leave, so I won't do anything. Gee what a concept.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old July 11th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is hot as hell here. I did my morning walk at 7:30. I cooled off and showered and went and got a haircut. I went in the Olds and then went by Golden Rule Automotive and had them give me a quote on replacing the bushings in my rear springs. It was $300 so I called my wife and told her where the bushings were and to bring them and come get me. Money well spent. I had mentioned a couple times I was going to do it myself. Yesterday I turned the car around and jacked it up pretty high and put it on stands. I got on the Bone creeper and got the nut off the front on the right side (this is the single one since the shackles are on the back). I had a floor jack under the rear end and was able to move the bolt a little bit. I had enough thread sticking out where I could get the nut back on and tighten it down. No way I was doing that job. Although I had a fan going it was still hot and I am too old and too heavy and don't have to fool with it. So I put the nut back on and put the car back down and turned it around and put it back in the garage. Now the only known thing I have left I need to do is drop the gas tank and reseal the sending unit. Of course after that there will be something else. It is in the perpetual maintenance stage.
Where is Allan.
Glenn
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:21 AM

Got a shower during the nite, never heard a thing

Family coming dis mawn'in to hopefully make sum pre need plans

Norm, I looked up your home town, You're not fer from my favorite place to eat Topsail

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Running On Empty

Well, this isn’t my hometown, but I understand your statement. Yeah, Topsail isn’t far from me. Nice & quiet in this area.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

40/43
Old July 12th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think we need a thorough cleaning of the house at work. It's Friday, our number is 125, and we -still- didn't finish until after 1. The fat man wasn't there, the lead wasn't there, and we could ordinarily do 125 before lunch with our eyes closed. I don't get it. The excuse is, people are getting burned out. Fine, it's your job that you are paid for, if you no longer like it, bid out.

I skipped Awful house for lunch and came straight home, though I waited until 530 to post. Know why? Because I never gave Tiger a bath and that was what I wanted to do this afternoon, but didn't want to post until it was done. Well, Tiger is drying nicely looking out the kitchen window. He's very clean, very fluffy. And probably gonna have the runs later because he was drinking the soapy bathwater. I turned the AC off and left the back door open so he wouldn't be too cold while he was still wet.

Beautiful out, and hot, and sunny. Still about 90. I of course took a bath with Tiger so I'm gonna take a shower and then we're going somewhere for a treat. Probably Awful house, but he was a good boy with his bath so he needs something special.

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon.
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

It takes a great deal for me to get completely irritated & annoyed w/ someone - I have a rather decent threshold of patience. I went to my local Food Lion grocery store (which isn't my favorite grocery store) and parked in normal parking space (like any normal human being would do) & there is a white pick-up truck parked ~30'-35' from the front entrance to the store - parked directly in the absolutely clearly marked EXIT, with a LARGE arrow indicating the EXIT (for flow of traffic). I did my grocery shopping, and upon my return there is a man with a woman beginning to load groceries in the pickup truck - neither she nor he was disabled and in their late 40's. I asked him if that looked like a parking spot to him, and he replied in a Gib manner "Yes sir it does". I told him he must be blind. To which he replied "What do you care" and to which I replied "GO F*CK YOURSELF" and continued walking to my own truck, never turning my back or skipping a beat. I am becoming extremely intolerant of this 'It's all about me, me, me' world I live in. I hope he runs off the road and blows out all four tires.

Thanks for listening - have a wonderful evening.
Old July 12th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Always room for one more

Well the Awful house it was for our treat. It was a nice time, too. Saw a guy I like talking to, the staff was good, wasn't busy, a win all the way around. Tiger got his dog burger and was happy.

My Grandmother was a big Irish Rovers fan. She would play their records when I would visit. My favorite Irish Rovers song is Good Night Irene. Anyway, don't know what made me think of this but while lurking on YouTube I thought of the Biplane song. So I tried a couple things and lo and behold it pops up. I can tell you I haven't heard this song in well over 40 years.

Norm, they're everywhere. Doesn't seem that anyone has common courtesy anymore. And that's a shame.

Think I'll clean up a little around here then hit the sack. We get to sleep in again, yay.

Old July 12th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I haven't even thought of this group in a gazillion years and barely recall them at all. However, I can only recall one song which they used to perform "What Do We Do With The Drunken Sailor" - which I like. I like that one line in the song which says "..what do we do with the drunken sailor....put him in bed with the captain's daughter". LOL Now, that'll earn you a good whacking.

Old July 12th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

My Mom used to sing that song "Good Night Irene". When I read your post, I thought of a different song though (as you got me thinking). At first I was thinking of the song "Come On Eileen" - which still ranks right up there with one of my favorite songs. It's certainly not a mainstream rock song, but I love it just the same. I always enjoyed this song "Come On Eileen" by the Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 12th, 2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:49 PM

Norm, I know what you mean by the parking idiots. They occupy the "No Parking/Fire Lane" at the front of the store every week. Lazy asses that can't park in the lot and walk like the rest of us. Didn't the Irish Rovers also do the "Unicorn" song?
Old July 13th, 2019, 04:21 AM

The grocery store is a great place to watch what kind of people people are. Do they let you in front of them in line when therm buggy is loaded and you only have a bag of dog food? Are they polite to the cashiers etc? and most importantly [IMHO] Do they take their buggy back t the cart coral ? or leave it rolling around in the parking lot to bang up other;s cars

Headed Norte

Have a great weekend P;ds friends
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and not hot. Gonna take in the junkyard this morning, haven't been there in awhile. I can see the place from the expressway when I'm coming home from work, and I can see they have a few new rows. Gotta go see what's good.

Dan the Unicorn song is another one I haven't heard in 40+ years. Norm that must have been a lively group in that video. By the end of the song everyone was doing every part.

Jamesbo I think in any public setting people can't help but be themselves. They don't even think about it. Who holds the door for anyone anymore? Who says thank you(and you're welcome)? I think I'll be like the Australians and instead of saying thanks I'll say cheers. That should raise an eyebrow.

Something lurked in the yard about 5 this morning, and Tiger heard it and came unglued. He went out and searched but the critter was long gone. Heck if I heard that I wouldn't stick around, either. We went back to bed and got up around 7. Sun was out again, loved it.

Okay gotta get moving. Hope the weekend goes well for everyone.
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:40 PM

Headed to a car show today, and forgot my hat. My head looks like a beet. Thin hair/receding hairline is no defense against the sun. Got home, and doused my head in cool water, then drank a bottle of Gatorade, followed by water.
Old July 13th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Three weeks ago my dermatologist froze the tops of both of my ears w/ liquid N2 - precancerous basil cell carcinoma best practice guidelines. Tops of my ears were getting far, far too much sun. Yesterday I purchased a wide-brim golf hat. I won't be wearing regular baseball/golf caps any longer.
Old July 13th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hm, once I got to the junkyard the sun went under and it wasn't too bad out. Nothing to write home about. I hardly ever wear a hat. Don't like to.

When the "hurricane" Barry first started up as a tropical storm a few days ago, gas jumped up more than 20c a gallon. Almost immediately the storm went from tropical storm to hurricane to lots of rain. But do you think gas will go down as easily? Nope, it will be months before we get back to where it was. And there will be holidays in there where it will go up, then winter, then Thursday, then, then, then...

Went over to the shop and got the Valiant off the trailer. Boy that guy started right up. I actually think the miss is it's low on gas. I took it down the street and turned around. It's a tad slow, but I think it's gunked up from sitting. Some fresh gas and new spark plugs ought to do wonders.

Well I'm beat. Did a lot of little stuff today, good day. Might even put in a movie to watch tonight. Rain off and on this afternoon, but I'm in for the evening, won't affect me much.
Old July 14th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Always room for one more

And good morning everyone.

Beautiful out, just starting to get hot. Had a nice conversation with a guy at the Awful house, but the phone said it was 78* so I came home. Don't want anyone sticking their nose into my business again about Tiger. By the way he was fine.

Man I tell you what, I love, love that 77 Pace Car that guy is selling. I've wanted one of them for a long time. But that car would not fare well at my house. It sure is pretty. If I had a place inside to keep it I'd go for it. But it's still no Imperial.

Got a bunch of little things to get done today. Also need to finish mowing the back yard. I mowed the half that the tubs sat on when I gave Tiger a bath, now I need to even it up. Also need to get things ready for company for next weekend. A friend of mine is coming to stay for a few days and we're going to work on cars. Heck I think he should stay a month.

Okay gotta get at it. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old July 14th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Oh no, not again...

Not much new here, just rain, rain and more rain. Although we had a couple of days where the sun came out and I managed to put the top down on the Electra, first time this year.
Next week I'm going to take the Wildcat out, the reason I don't drive it much is that it still has an original engine; - it's never been pulled apart, ever. It has 134,000 miles on it, the compression is still right up there and even across the board. On a vacuum gauge the needle is steady and 19. Oil pressure is still good (a weak point on Buicks considering the sump is in the back and the pump is at the front of the motor in an aluminum housing) What scares me is the timing gear; - it still has the original neoprene set in it from 1967. The car could use a carb overhaul too; - the Q-jet that's on it is an early one, and I think it has issues with the well plugs. Lay into the 4 barrels there's a smell of raw gas and the manifold is wet. (Another Buick fault, they burn down easily) But, it still purrs happily, pulls like an ox, and is a blast to drive. I should do an overhaul or a rebuild to it, but, on the other hand, it sounds good, it performs like new, will still lay rubber into 2nd gear and it doesn't smoke. Now that it has a modern high flow rad in it, the cooling is much better and that engine seems to be a lot happier. At any rate, it's my show car, it has the redone body and interior, so if something were to happen to it I'd be heartbroken.

Built a nice pocket watch today, a very early, low serial number Rockford model 1 from 1876. It is 15 jewel high grade movement, and is made with a precision that the Swiss still haven't been able to duplicate. It was a joy to work with.

Last week I did a more modern high-end wristwatch, a 1970 Enicar Sherpa D automatic. It was the most complex watch I've done to date, and it's by far the hardest to find parts for. I'm waiting for a stem and crown, in the meantime I'm keeping it running by shaking it and winding it that way. It was my dad's watch, and it seems he never took it off for about 10 years and never had it serviced. It had done hard duty in the tropics in the 70s. It was the filthiest watch I've ever opened up. They should never be exposed to salt water and tropical moisture without routine servicing. The water-tight gasket had disintegrated, the mainspring had rusted, and the canon pinion was loose. He complained that he went to a Seiko because this thing didn't keep time anymore. I now know what happened. After I fixed all the issues, I'm happy to report that it is holding time and as accurate as it was new. And cleaned up, it looks almost new. I wasn't able to save the bracelet though, a lot of the pins were distorted, rusted, and scuffed to the point of not holding. I'll put it on a leather strap and be done with it.

Anyway, that's about it for me...
Old July 15th, 2019, 02:56 AM

Tis Monday so guess what?

Old July 15th, 2019, 03:04 AM
Running On Empty

James - Hit them good. You have a lesson this Thursday.
Old July 15th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Hit them good. You have a lesson this Thursday.

And I need it

played like a goat on the front side sorta pulled it together on the back 9 [43] went to the dentist [front side was worst than the root canal]
Old July 15th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

42/40
Old July 15th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Marc - I can relate to your Buick addiction. My father was a Buick addict. His first Buick I recall was a 1959 LeSabre, followed up w/ a 1961 Invicta Estate Wagon (there were now x3 of us boys for our parents to haul around), followed up next with a 1964 Wildcat convertible (it was that gorgeous Cranberry/Burgundy(?) exterior/interior dash carpeting) with a white convertible top and white seats, which was followed up next w/ a 1969 Electra 225, and finally a 1973 Electra 225.
Old July 15th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Oh no, not again...

Thanks Norm, I've been into Buicks all my life, I won't go into the reasons but part of it is I was brought up with them, - and yes, I've had a few Oldsmobiles too, it's just that there aren't many interesting Olds' around here anymore. Lots of Cutlasses, yes, but I've always had a soft spot for big luxury cars (might be because I'm 6'8" and on the wrong side of 270 lbs and don't fit in A-body cars too well). After owning quite a few Buicks, they just seem to find me now, I don't even have to hunt. However, I am looking for a nice 61-62 Starfire coupe, and I'll look at a 59-64 loaded up 98 coupe if there's one nice enough. It's just that there are none left up here anymore.
So with the 2 Buicks I have, I have the last of the Nailheads, (66 Electra 225, with a 401) and the first year of the "modern" big block Buick V-8 in the Wildcat. Each had their advantages and faults. the 401 was hindered by tiny valves and was at the limit of it's design. They pushed it to 425 cu in, but that eventually had heating and ring issues and didn't last as long. The 430 has much bigger valves, is a lot lighter, and develops a lot more power. It's problems are oiling and overheating. The 67s were really bad for cracking heads, which is one reason why there aren't many around anymore. The Wildcat convertible is a low production car; only 2200 were made, so it's quite "rare". (Doesn't mean "desirable" though). The Electra is my daily summer driver, I've rebuilt the entire drive-line and for all intents and purposes it's a "new" 1966 Buick.
I'd be willing to part with one of them for a nice Starfire...
Old July 15th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from Summit. Three Oldsmobiles, a 67 Supreme 4 door, a 67 442, and a 62 F85 Cutlass. Not much else. Must be everyone is on vacation. I met a friend of mine up there and then we went to grab a bite, otherwise I'd be in ZZz land by now. Seriously thinking I won't make overtime in the morning.

Work was hectic. When it was busy it was really busy, and when things broke it was at a stand still. The shop didn't make its number but I finished with a respectable 28 wheels signed off.

Beautiful night out, would love to have a huge convertible to ride around in. All of the big cars around here have been turned into hoopties. Lots of effort in some of them, not my thing.

Okay, that's the cliffnotes. See you all on Tuesday.
Old July 16th, 2019, 06:20 AM

My honey do list awaits

Like I don't have enough to do looking after the cemetery

Old July 16th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Steady day at work. We hit our mark a little after 2, amazing. So we can still do it, that will **** off that fat a$$hole when he gets back. He's milking the lead for bereavement leave. We're allowed three days, he's been gone over a week. Eh, I'm glad he isn't there.

Jamesbo, how many times do you back up in your truck when working on the honey-do list?

As I suspected, I didn't make overtime this morning. But I plan on it tomorrow. I did feel better during the day by not getting up, basically in the middle of the night, for work.

Onward Hump Day.
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:01 AM

Mike, As I'm sure you know most things take longer than expected. To make matter worse, there's a bridge out for repair so to get anywhere for supplies/parts etc. I gotta go via bum phuque Egypt to get anywhere

But I'll "Endeavor to persevere "

Sum'n flung a craving on me to make an Oreo Cheese cake, Will report back later

Old July 17th, 2019, 05:32 AM

Went up to Indian River with another couple to go from Burt lake to Lake Huron and back on the river. We took my truck and trailer and his brand new Bennington pontoon boat. We left about 7 am and got to Indian River about 9. Put in at the town of Indian River and headed northeast up the river. Had to cross Mullet Lake which is huge and it started to rain. But we had the Bimini top up and used a plastic tablecloth to keep the rain off us. He kept the boat at the same speed as the west wind and we stayed mostly dry. Got across the lake and followed the river up to Cheyboygan . There was a lock there which we went thru. By then the rain had quit and we went out a little into Lake Huron. It was a little rough so we didn't go out much-a 20' pontoon isn't made for the big waters! Turned around and went back a way and ate a lunch out of the cooler on the river. Got back to Indian River about 5. Got boat back on trailer and went to our Motel and then dinner, some euchre card games and to bed. Next morning put back in the river and went the other way to Burt lake, which is also huge. Weather was beautiful. Went some around Burt lake and got back to Indian River about 1. Came back and it was hot and the A/C quit on my beater truck- Ugh. Well it was a great time!! Have a good one guys!
Old July 17th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - The last time I passed through Indian River I was hauling my Indian motorcycle (a couple years ago). The alternator went out on my truck on I-75 @ Indian River. I spent ~3hrs. walking around town & grabbing big chocolate sundae at the Dairy Mart.

Old July 17th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Finished up before 1, left about an hour later. Got a bunch of extra wheels built up for a jump start in the morning.

That looks like a nice little town. Greg that's a lot of time on the boat, glad you had a good time. Norm how did you get around? Did you walk or get the bike out and ride around town?

Jamesbo how's the list coming along?

I heard some thunder a little while ago, and when I was out with Tiger felt about a half dozen rain drops. Now it's clearing up. But it's a lot cooler out.

Gonna hit the sack here in a minute. Two more then the weekend. Hope everyone is well.
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm how did you get around? Did you walk or get the bike out and ride around town?
Mike - I walked. I was already displaying some type of issue on I-75 then exited I-75 where there wasn't much of anything other than a convenient store (~5-10 miles South of Indian River, MI). I couldn't readily determine the issue. Getting back onto Northbound I-75 the alternator failed while on the ON-RAMP. I walked back to the convenient store, made the appropriate phone calls, walked back to the truck/trailer, unhooked the trailer, tow truck arrived & I left the trailer w/ bike on the side of the road of the ON-RAMP. The service garage in Indian River, MI, performed the R&R on my alternator in ~3hrs. There are ~930 homes w/ a population of ~2,000 - it is an unincorporated town. The downtown area (which makes up the majority of the images I posted) consists of ~30 buildings. The people are way awesome and I may have spoken to every business owner in town.
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Running On Empty

The prior day/evening I visited my parcel of land in Grayling, MI - ~50 miles South of Indian River, MI & I spent the evening in a quaint roadside motel (Fay's Motel).

Old July 17th, 2019, 09:26 PM

Norm, nice pics of the town. You left you bike and trailer at the on ramp? I would have been concerned that someone would hook it up, and drive away with it. I have the worst dandruff in the world due to the fact that my sunburned tater is shedding a bit. No pics of the full moon tonight. Three skunks in the back yard, is three too many.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 17th, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I carry a couple different styles of trailer hitch locks which slide into & lock within the trailer hitch ball receiver in addition to a locking pin for the lock-down. Not that it would limit someones ability to remove the trailer hitch locks, but I also had three of those 12" tall orange emergency roadside reflectors spaced about 30' apart from each other along the ramp roadside.
Old July 18th, 2019, 08:53 AM

Norm, I think I got it FINALLY

Old July 18th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Running On Empty

James - Good deal. I was just thinking of heading out to the range to get some practice in. I'm not all over the place at the moment, but still struggling w/ maintaining consistent tempo, and getting more lag. We have our Member-Member club tournament the weekend of July 27/28.
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I'd count today at work as a win. I went in early, signed off 18 tires before 6, and signed off a total of 46 tires over the course of the day. That tops my previous personal best by 9. On top of that we had printer problems and I had to hike down to the other end of the shop to get the paperwork. We reached the number about 2. I had two wall guys so that really helped.

Norm I was going to ask the same question about leaving the bike. But you were there I guess you felt it was okay. I think I'd like to live in a place like that, but usually everyone knows everyone's business. I wouldn't like that.

Started raining on my way home. Looks like it will be settling in for awhile. Hope it doesn't rain all weekend. A friend of mine is staying for a few days and we're going to work on cars. Of course the ones we are going to work on are outside.

Chiro day today. Last time there was this big fat man there and every time the dr. did an adjustment, he yelled out like he was being murdered. I though, geez dude did you leave your ***** at home? Be a man. I do think this chick is unnecessarily aggressive.

Okay gonna relax a little.
Old July 18th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Heat is absolutely oppressive - high humidity (80%) & high temperatures (95*+) w/ a heat index of 105* today. I managed to hit some range ***** for ~1hr. - I couldn't handle it any longer. On my way home I picked up in the grocery store what they displayed as a Personal Watermelon (Seedless) - it's shaped like a soccer ball. It's in my freezer enjoying a big chill-down before I devour it.

Mike - Have you ever considered a therapeutic massage? I'd take a therapeutic massage over a chiropractic adjustment for long term benefit/relief. Although, a therapeutic masseuse is not covered under normal medical insurance as a chiropractor would be - which is a shame, but massage therapy performed by a licensed therapeutic masseuse is fantastic.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Always room for one more

I first went to the chiropractor for my hip. They took Xrays and said ya your hip is bad alright, and we can't do anything about it. OH MAMA but look at this, here's a bunch of other problems how the hell can you even stand up? The good doctor is also big on nutrition, and I had hoped they could help me lose some weight. Well 80 bucks worth of "supplements" later, not one single word. And, I didn't have any trouble, save for the hip and a little sciatic pain, but now I can hardly stand up straight, can't bend, can't hardly get dressed for goodness' sake. "It has to get worse in order to get better." My ***. Boy they saw me coming.

A massage sounds nice but it isn't something I would do. I can't really say why, just isn't. I want some help with my hip, but it looks like the only thing that will help that is a replacement. Not sure I'm ready for that. I'm pretty sure the aforementioned losing weight would help tremendously, but so far that isn't easy to get started.

So a little while ago Tiger was out in the yard and he started barking. He doesn't normally bark and he isn't allowed to. We have enough barking dogs in the neighborhood. Well he wouldn't come when I called him so I went out in the yard and what do I see but Mr. No Shoulders. Probably about 6ft long, black with white markings. He was about half coiled but just looking at Tiger, not really being aggressive. He was probably just annoyed. I got Tiger to come in, and later he was gone. He was just sitting under a shrub, staying out of the rain.

And speaking of rain, it's gone and the sun is out. Weird. Well it can stay that way.

I'm headed to bed. Friday awaits. Have a good evening everyone.