The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2020, 02:28 PM

Mike, I had a gander down the street when I was cutting the grass, and most of the house's have the same thing, a sidewalk the ends well before the street. There are no sidewalks on either side of the street so, I'm inclined to think that when there were originally building this sub-divsion decades ago, sidewalks were in the plan, but for some reason it never panned out. Norm, I have seen the same thing concerning old buildings, weird. I went and put silk flowers on my mom's grave site today, I would have preferred the real thing, but it is supposed to freeze tonight, and possibly again tomorrow night, with a possibility of a snow mix tomorrow. The florist that I use, did up a vibrant arrangement, so I'm pleased with that.
Old May 9th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - This has become a miserable spring - argh.
Old May 10th, 2020, 04:54 AM

--Norm, ya know what is really weird about some old buildings in old towns here in Michigan is in the basements there are blocked/mortared up windows and doors that are now below grade. Looking at old pictures it used to be there was stairways going up and down to those doors in the basement and up to the doors you mention.(my guess) Sometimes look at old movies and you'll see them.
-- Cold and snowy here today.
-- Make sure and show your Wife and Mom( for those of you who still have her here with you) some love today!! Happy Mothers Day.
Old May 10th, 2020, 06:00 AM

Greg, That estimate sounds nuts

In the hills, I have several out buildings [guest house etc They are much smaller than your house and don't have any valleys just single ridge roofs. 3 amigos [Hey great movie title] putt on the roofs in 2 days for less than 6k

I was told the new house next door [a monster with 44 rooms]valleys and ridges galore new roof was on about 60k

Headed home in a while

Happy mother's day

'" Be careful, I don't have time to take you to the hospital" [mother]
Old May 10th, 2020, 09:25 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Mothers Day everyone.

Beautiful out, I am really digging this no rain thing. It could warm up a little if anyone asked me.

Been to Walmart already. Busy place but surprisingly didn't have to wait too long in the check out line.

Want to go to Lowes this afternoon and get some lumber. I already know it's going to be busy, because no one can go out for brunch. Got a host of things to get that should keep me in projects for awhile. Like I need any help with that.

I think the roof on my house was around 7K. I paid a deductible of 1K and it was done in one day. Now add to that the cost of boarding my dogs, since they would have gone bonkers with all the pounding and shouting all day.

Okay gonna do it. Work tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old May 10th, 2020, 10:19 AM

So much for the snow, sunny out today, though a bit cool, in the 40's. As a kid, I always thought that those elevators? that came up through the sidewalk downtown were pretty cool. Always saw them used the most during the sidewalk sales that they had in the summer.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - And there are numerous homes/businesses throughout the mid-west with the old coal shoots which have since been boarded up - some of them above grade, but most below grade. I've seen some interesting/clever closures people have fabricated for those.
Mike - You are a brave man, indeed. Walmart during COVID-19 in the middle of the day? You have large kahonies, buddy.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Yeah, there are hundreds of those sidewalk elevators in downtown Chicago - nearly every business has one - they're pretty cool. The delivery trucks always use them to off-load on the sidewalk and the product was delivered below street-level to the basement of the buildings.
Old May 10th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Always room for one more

Norm didn't you know, the virus isn't viable at Walmart. Only in church and at voting places.

The stickers on the floor at Walmart that show which way to go are coming up. I think that's funny. The person standing outside the door who is supposed to be counting the number of people going in and out is usually sleeping, and never has a notepad or a computer or anything of the sort. And when do people stand within six feet of anyone else in the grocery store anyway? Don't get me started.

Break time.

Old May 10th, 2020, 08:57 PM
Running On Empty

This is what happens when folks come together. It's a Geezer Pleaser. Some of you know The Band (Robbie Robertson) & The Beatles (Ringo Starr). IMO, an outstanding effort by these folks.

Old May 10th, 2020, 09:36 PM

Seen that video before, pretty cool.
Old May 11th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got out past 10 today, we finished around 9. The lead says he wants us to hang around a little more so the powers that be don't think we need to be put somewhere else. Fine by me.

Beautiful out. I'm gonna take more scrap tires over to the shop. I want to get one of those chineseum (because I haven't seen a USA made one) manual tire dismounters and take all the tires off so I can clean up the rims. Not sure what to do with the tires after that. After I unload the tires I'm going to the junk yard.

Norm is that a virtual concert? Everyone is in a different place. I need to go back and find the Liz Brewer video.

Okay off I go. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old May 12th, 2020, 04:07 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Yes, a virtual music session. Part of the Playing For Change - Peace Through Music series.
Old May 12th, 2020, 05:20 AM

More setting 4x4 post today for the new horse fence. don't wanta waste any good Bermuda grass

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 12th, 2020, 12:50 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Most excellent outside. So I decided to work in the basement. Actually I'm gonna go out and move some things around out front. I wasn't finding what I wanted in the basement.

Finished up at 8 this morning and left at 10. That's a little annoying but being at work exactly half the amount I'm supposed to isn't too bad.

Moving truck just showed up next door. I guess that will be it for her. I hope she calls before she leaves.

Here's something really annoying. The gate on my pickup won't come down anymore. Only one side unlatches. I hope I can get the bedliner piece off and the tail gate panel to access the rods. I suppose one of the plastic clips has broken. Eh, men built it, I should be able to fix it.

Okay have a good afternoon.

Old May 13th, 2020, 03:23 AM

Got about 1/2 the post set yesterday in quick crete

Should finish setting the remainder today, then start with the 16 ' [staggered on 8' centers ] 5/4 board.

I'm gonna buy a case of 8 spiral nails and "hopefully" use the rest on decking my dock addition in the mountains

Gotta hill up my taters in the garden too

Facebook Post

Old May 13th, 2020, 09:01 AM

Good morning gents!

I'm waiting for a wheel cylinder for the Toronado, and have been taking care of minor chores around the house. I've been sleeping late, but I don't want to make that a habit.
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out, a little overcast here and there. Might do some yardwork this afternoon. Might go over to the shop. Might sit around and do nothing.

Went next door last night when the movers left. She's staying until the end of the week. The house is pretty much empty, and it was heart-breaking. I don't think she wants to leave, but she doesn't want to live in that house by herself. Her sisters convinced her to move to Florida and I'm sure she'll enjoy it once she gets settled.

Left work at 1030 this morning. We finished up at 8. Now, again, I'm not complaining because we get off work 4 hours early, but the thing was we finish up and get out, to get away from people and get back home. But in typical Delta fashion, that went out the window and it's the whim of whoever is in charge. At least we aren't sitting around 6 hours.

Jamesbo I'm gonna set posts into buckets and then attach T1-11 siding to them, for a sort of moveable wall. Hm. I wonder if I could make enough to put around my entire property.

CW even on my days off I can't sleep in. My assistant wants to get up as soon as the sun comes up. You'd think he was a rooster.

Okay gotta go do something. Happy Humpday to everyone.

Old May 13th, 2020, 07:12 PM

Took the Olds out for a cruise with our car club showing appreciation for nursing home week. We cruised thru a dozen nursing care facilities and the staff and residents came out to watch. Our 4 yr old daughter was waving at everyone good times . Heres half the group prior to leaving
Old May 13th, 2020, 07:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jeffs71
Took the Olds out for a cruise with our car club showing appreciation for nursing home week. We cruised thru a dozen nursing care facilities and the staff and residents came out to watch. Our 4 yr old daughter was waving at everyone good times . Heres half the group prior to leaving
^^^THAT is AWESOME!!! Good on all of you.
Old May 13th, 2020, 08:56 PM

Not much going on here. Ordered a new cell phone to replace the one that went through the wash for the second time...almost two years ago. Nothing fancy, a Samsung Galaxy A20. I was going to get the improved version, the A21, but it's introduction to the market went from April, to May, and now the 3rd quarter of this year. I ain't waiting that long.
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:29 AM

Got the 4 x 4 post in. While the set up, I'm heading norte

Old May 14th, 2020, 04:01 AM

Jeff, good on you and your group. Sounds like a good time.
Dan, I dropped my Samsong phone in a bowl of chicken soup. Got it right out and wiped it off and seemed OK. Sometime later that night it messed up. In morning it wouldn't start and just lit up and vibrated. Took it apart, removed battery and card and let it sit on heat register in house. Then it was OK again! Lucked out.. That Samsong phone is really tough. It falls a lot. I really didn't want to go get another one.
James, whatcha buildin? (sorry I guess I missed it)...
All good here guys, got plow truck bracket from salvage yard installed, put new rear window in 56 truck. Olds is getting dusty....
Old May 14th, 2020, 07:09 AM

Good morning guys.

My wheel cylinder arrived and I'm running out of excuses to procrastinate. There is a drive in theater in Chetek, WI, and I want to bring the family there in the Toronado.

Hope everyone has a great day, and happy Oldsmobiling.
Old May 14th, 2020, 09:24 AM

Picked up a Sealed Power ashtray this morning form a local guy. I will post a pic once I figure out where in the Wild World of Sports that the pics that I downloaded went to. Somewhere in my computer, never to be seen again.
Old May 14th, 2020, 09:47 AM

Old May 14th, 2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Yes, a virtual music session. Part of the Playing For Change - Peace Through Music series.

What is neat is that this style of coming together for the cause started B4 the covid Schputzle and continues to move forward for more world "harmony " Keep the Faith my Olds friends
Old May 14th, 2020, 05:26 PM
MOTORHEAD

IF
it was allowed
a spot for my cigar
my pipe
and a cigarillo too

Smokem If You Gottem
Old May 15th, 2020, 05:17 AM

Greg, ive got a few thousand feet of 4 board fence but I need to add a few hundred more to give the horse pasture a break in the fall. I've got a few acres behind the paddock that I can put the horses on while I reseed their pasture
Old May 15th, 2020, 01:39 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Absolutely gorgeous day out. Couldn't be nicer. No rain in sight, it isn't humid, temps aren't stifling.

Well my neighbor is gone. I went over there this morning and said goodbye, and she is off to Florida. It's all very sad. Now tomorrow I'll wake up and be nervous about who moves in.

So I had the new trailer out for a nice ride yesterday. Empty. I thought, it will be different having brakes. When I first started out, the trailer brakes engaged after the truck brakes. They slowly came on quicker and quicker, and by the time I got home they were pulling the truck as soon as I tapped the pedal and the wheels were locking up and smoking. There's no adjustment on the brake controller. I believe it came with the truck when new, so I'll have to look in the owner's manual to see if it says anything. Then I remembered why I wasn't in a hurry to get a trailer with brakes.

Tiger and I are going to mail some bills and then go to Arby's for our supper. Then tonight, who knows, it's nice and stays light well after 8.

So have a good evening everyone.

Old May 15th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I don't know what truck you are referring to when pulling the trailer. I imagine you've had/seen several type brake controllers. I have had several. There are so many types & so many different configurations. I've never had one come new as stock equipment on a truck. At any rate, my current brake controller is really sweet - it has a full range of adjustments I can dial in until I find the one best suited for the weight of the vehicle I'm pulling (which is the most important consideration). I don't set it by some weight number (pounds, etc.) but I set it so the trailer braking is either super firm, firm, etc. Basically get rolling about 20mph - 30 mph apply the brakes and check to see if the grab is too firm or too weak and then just dial it in. Who knows, with so many advanced configurations these days, there may even be the off chance there is a sequence in which it's done by applying the brakes, if they lock up - you put it in neutral, tap the brakes, then try again, then put in neutral, etc. Kind of like when you "program" something like 4-wheel drive, turning off seat belts, turning off buzzers and stuff like that. It took me forever figuring out how to get my F-250 to go into low 4-wheel drive until I read the procedure - I have to be in neutral with my foot on the brakes for it to engage into low 4-wheel drive. Maybe there's a sequence you need to follow to set the trailer brakes firmness? Look for the model number on the brake controller and look up the directions - it may be that simple. Good luck.
Old May 15th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I have a Chevy Silverado 2500HD. The brake controller has a GM style harness that plugs into it's own place in the fuse block. I did flip the brake slider thing a couple times, I wonder if that turned the braking up. I'll have to figure it all out. If it is a GM unit, then in typical GM fashion I'll have to turn the key on and off 5 times, stomp on the gas pedal three times, get out of the truck and turn around three times, and recite "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost, all within 5 seconds.

Got my lumber finally for a new bed frame, but by the time I got home the shade had covered where I wanted to work, so I'll cut it and stain it tomorrow. Mailed my bills, and got Arby's. Tiger seems to think he has to jump through the window and retrieve the food himself. The workers don't really like that.

Old May 15th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Makes Sense To Me!

Old May 16th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Good Morning!

I had a productive day yesterday. I got Mom's SS camaro and boat out of storage and ready for the season. The camaro battery was stone dead, of course, so I hooked up a charger. Also filled her water softener tank and did other odd jobs for her.

Today I hope to get to the new wheel cylinder in my Toronado. There is a drive in theater in Chetek, WI that has been calling my name. Of course the only way to do a drive in properly is with an Oldsmobile.

Have a great day.
Old May 16th, 2020, 08:55 AM

My "Das Boat" is also in a running like a scalded dog I saw an old Century I got the wants for. Need it like another hole in my head
Old May 16th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice and hot today, and sunny. Great day. It should cool off tonight.

Went to look at a Corvair today. Didn't come home with it. It ran okay, but it had a few bumps and dings on the body, the top was slow, had rust in the floor, and when we were out driving it I could smell oil from the exhaust. Plus the guy had tons of parts, which I normally like, but I didn't want any of those parts. So I passed.

There was a tree over at the shop that had fallen across the driveway and I cut it up and pulled it over to the side. That was in February. Well, when I went to get the trailer today I saw my neighbor(the guy that beat me out of that house) and he said his wife thought the stump made the yard look bad. It isn't even in his yard. He was going to get a chain saw to cut up the stump. He still hadn't done it when I got back so I got the tractor and dug it out. Called him and said if he wanted to cut off a few large roots that I couldn't get up I'd come back later and fill in the hole and smooth it out. He sounded rather relieved that he didn't have to cut it up. He doesn't strike me as the outdoorsy type.

Rain Monday, maybe some tomorrow. I got my bed frame wood cut and started staining. I purposely got a dark stain but it doesn't look too dark. Maybe a couple more coats and it will be okay. Do I sand between coats?

Well see ya's.

Old May 16th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Whether you sand between coats depends your idea of the type finish you're trying to achieve. Application of stain will always raise the grain. The amount of stain you apply depends on how well the type of wood you're staining absorbs the type of stain you're using. At the end of the day, once you get to your desired stain color, sand until you're as smooth as you can get it: 60>100>150>200>300>400 grit. Vacuum between each grit and run a tack cloth after each vacuum before you go onto the next grit. Once you arrive at the smoothness of finish, apply your lacquer, gloss, semi-gloss, tung oil or whatever. Be sure to completely allow to dry. Sand @ 400 grit, vacuum then tack cloth then another round of sanding @ 400 grit, vacuum then tack cloth, continue until you get to your desire finished. Good Luck! I would say by the far most important factor is to sand, vacuum and tack cloth @ 400 grit each and every time after you begin applying your finishing coats.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 16th, 2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot and sunny today. Got the second coat of stain on two of my boards this morning, not sure if I want to do three. Not only did the stain bring out the grain, it also brought out all the strap marks from the banding of the pallet. Eh, this isn't real furniture.

Went to the shop and finished out the tree stump removal. The neighbor hadn't cut up the roots yet, so I brought my saw and got the roots out, then got the tractor and dug up some good dirt and filled and evened everything out. Then put down some grass seed. It actually looks nice.

So in my quest for a convertible, and not finding one, I thought about a Geo Metro. Besides being a girl's car, and micro small, I could get one pretty cheep and hey it's a convertible. Any ideas on what I could do to make it more manly? I already thought about a big block, I don't think I could get one in.

Work tomorrow. I keep thinking I've got something coming up I need to get ready for, but nope, it's like Groundhog Day. Same thing every day. Eh, that ain't so bad. I have been getting caught up on some chores. Not sure if it's going to rain this week, got plenty to do inside or out.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old May 17th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Got the second coat of stain on two of my boards this morning, not sure if I want to do three. Not only did the stain bring out the grain, it also brought out all the strap marks from the banding of the pallet. Eh, this isn't real furniture.
Do I sand between coats?
Pretty much why you sand between coats.
Old May 17th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Always room for one more

Actually what I should have done was run these board through a planer. Except I don't have a planer, so that's why I'm seeing strapping marks and stamped writing. The stamps are almost obscured because the stain is pretty dark. You know what, I think I will do another coat. Then the semi-gloss poly and that will be that. Thanks Norm.