The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2020, 10:40 AM
Running On Empty

I get called Greg, Gordon or Gerald a lot for some reason. At one point Mary Kay products was sending me (Norma) free cosmetic makeup samples for several months. I found their rouge (blush) too greasy but their lipsticks were awesome - I loved the purple.
The Ford KR is a nice vehicle - agree, they ride like a Cadillac. My F250 Super-Crew Lariat rides like a Cadillac on the freeways - not so much in-town. I have a 4" lift pkg & monster wheels/tires. I often have to point out to folks which grab rail to pull themselves up into the cab. I installed aftermarket flared wheel wells to accommodate the oversized wheels/tires.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 11:56 AM

Went to the pain doc today, for more injections. I go back in a couple of weeks, then again in July for the nerve block (rhizotomy) finally, which is supposed to be good for 6 months to two years. Getting a first time prescription from this Dr., Naltrexone, and I placed an order online for Broad Spectrum CBD oil (no THC), which according to her, ahem "works well in men my age". Ya think I was old or sumthing, jeesh.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice and hot today. Some sort of record at 89* . Sun comes out then goes under a little, really a nice day out.

Went back to the DMV today. I had my mask, that I had taken a sharpie and wrote, This mask is for all the kool aid drinkers . Don't care if anyone looked at it or not, it was my own little personal protest. Probably no one would know what it meant anyway. But I did get the trailer registered

Out of work around 1030 this morning. Tomorrow is the last day of the work week.

Norm I kind of got tired of the Highway Creep sign. When did we see that picture, months ago? Besides I wanted to replace it with my wanted ad.

Greg since you get called Craig all the time are you going to put an ad on Gregslist?

Hooked up to the trailer and took it out to adjust the brakes. That's a damn heavy trailer so I need the brakes, even when it's empty, but it sure doesn't stop smoothly. Just something to get used to I guess. Couldn't get the tilt to work so I went down to the trailer place and it worked fine for the guy. He said the motor was running too slow, and he thought the battery was weak. It charges off the truck but it takes 300 miles to get a full charge. Or I can plug it into a wall outlet and the onboard charger will charge it pretty quickly.

Okay. Happy Thursday everyone, time for supper.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 04:59 PM

Had a long day, but very satisfying. Helped out a struggling coworker who has helped me plenty of times. Ran out of water around three. looking forward to date night with my wife. That means Taco Bell and a DVD at home.

I need more Windshield time in the Toronado.

Have a great day guys.

CW
Old June 3rd, 2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
Had a long day, but very satisfying. Helped out a struggling coworker who has helped me plenty of times. Ran out of water around three. looking forward to date night with my wife. That means Taco Bell and a DVD at home.

I need more Windshield time in the Toronado.

Have a great day guys.

CW
Hey Curve good on you for keeping an eye on your brother co-worker. World needs more like you... we are all in this schtick together ....as Red Green would say "Keep your stick on the ice" And " If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Respect here.
Keith
Old June 4th, 2020, 03:59 AM

I am SO happy!! I think I mentioned earlier, this big ole house we are living in needs a roof,-bad... There was a few rally bad spots and in one spot a bunch of shingles had slid down. I was having a hard time even getting a roofer to come look at the job. I got a estimate from a fancy stamped aluminum metal roofing company for $68,500!! They were the only ones to come for a while. Then I had another roofer come and looked it over but so far hasn't gotten back with me. Then I called all the roofers I could find- from recommendations, swapper paper ads, etc. One day while working in the barn, I heard a ad for another roofer on the radio, I called him right then. He came over that day. He went up on the roof and we could see that the worst spot now the shingles had blown away and you could see plywood!! He said for me to contact my insurance company. While up there he did a temporary patch type repair where the shingles were gone. I was reluctant to call ins. co. as it figured the problem was just worn out shingles and maybe improper installation, but I called the them anyway. The roofer got a estimate for the whole roof job (best shingles, removing all old etc) It was about $17,000. So I sent the pictures he took and the estimate to the adjuster, expecting nothing but hoping for maybe a little help. I got back a email from the adjuster saying they sent a $10,000 check to me and would send another $6,000 upon completion of the job! They bought it all except for the $1000. deductible!! UFB!! Well I guess I have paid insurance premiums on my house and all my cars, etc for over 30 years so they probably aren't paying me back for all I've paid. But I am so happy!! I called back roofer and am going to have him do job. He says it will be July or August. WOO HOO!!
Old June 4th, 2020, 04:01 AM

first time I've had a insurance claim on my house Insurance..
Old June 4th, 2020, 04:56 AM

Outstanding Greg! WooHoo indeed!

Going to be another hot one, stay cool and stay hydrated.

CW
Old June 4th, 2020, 07:09 AM

Sorry to desert ya Mike, But I had to check out the new dock addition

These guys were blowing and going Started Monday after lunch finished before lunch on Wednesday

Old June 4th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Running On Empty

Greg- I was going to suggest from an earlier post you created the notion to repair and re-shingle with asphalt shingles (would have obviously been the least expensive route), but you were asking about a complete metal roof so you've reduced your cost significantly and I'm certain the new roofer is not installing a full metal roof for that price.
Old June 4th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Well, Greg, that certainly reduces your out of pocket expenses. Jamesbo...good looking deck.
Old June 4th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Supposed to rain this afternoon, I don't see how there isn't a cloud in the sky. I need to be outside doing something instead of napping on the couch.

Greg that is good news. Next stop the attic, with a big section of shingles missing like that I'd be surprised if you didn't have a leak.

Jamesbo that looks like a nice start to your boathouse/guesthouse/lake mansion. I like the barge next to it.

Dan how are those injections doing?

Norm your cosmetic bit reminds me of when I was a little kid. I'd get into my Grandmother's makeup and put on the lipstick. I'd have it smeared all over my face, like a clown. Speaking of clowns, a friend of mine at work would tell us all the time how he was afraid of clowns. One time we went to this three day class about the logbook and the instructor was this big fat man, and he told us his hobby was being a clown. He'd put on all the makeup and clown clothes and go to see children in the hospital, that sort of stuff. He of course was not dressed up in class. But my friend just gave him the evil stare the whole time. Holy cow it was funny. You could really imagine that the guy would look like a clown.

Okay I gotta go do something. Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Old June 4th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - We know where we both grew up. You story is funny, unfortunately it brings to mind one of the most heinous despicable human beings to have ever walked this planet. The "Killer Clown"
Old June 4th, 2020, 06:20 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I read up on that guy not too long ago. I was in the 6th grade when that all started to come out. Chilling. I never think of that guy, though, when clowns come up.

Finished my mowing this afternoon, then went in for a shower. It rained just a little, then the blue sky was back before it started getting dark. Glad I'm done with that job for a little while.

A friend of mine wants me to meet him at the Awful house early in the morning, so he can introduce me to a couple of his friends. They own the local MAACO shop. MAACO has not had a stellar reputation as far as I've heard, but I've seen some of the work this place does, it's top notch. Great. If I were to get an in with a body shop I'd be perpetually broke, but all my wrecks would look nice.

Well I'm tired, I'm beat, and I don't get to sleep in tomorrow, so I might as well hit the sack. Have a good night everyone.

Old June 4th, 2020, 10:19 PM

Mike, not too good this time around. My back is killing me.
Old June 5th, 2020, 02:32 AM

Mike,

I don't know the name of the rig, but it could not only set post [some of them were sunk 7'] but it had claws on the end of the boom. He could pick up a pencil. They removed the floating dock and built a longer [and heavier] ramp/walkway. They built in on saw horses out of 2X10's, joist and 5/4 decking so it was HEAVY. It;s held on with big bolts so it can float up and down as the lake level changes

Then the picked it up with the boom and set it exactly where the bolts could be re installed

Old June 5th, 2020, 04:28 AM

James, that's quite a project you got there!! Looks nice.
Old June 5th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo that's quite a machine. Are the posts tapered at the end or does the machine have that much force to get them down that far?

Got up early to meet my friend at the Awful house, then took the dogmobile to have the AC looked at. My friend gave me a ride home and said he'd come pick me up when the car was ready.

Now that the mowing is done I think I'll do some yard work. Hm, I got an hour I could wash the car first. Or keep sitting here looking at the internet.

Well have a good day everyone, Friday for sure.

Old June 5th, 2020, 06:30 AM

Mike, They aren't tapered I want to say it something like a 70 pound weight hammering [really more like pushing] them in. I think you need one in your lake to make short work of you wall
Old June 6th, 2020, 04:47 AM

Old June 6th, 2020, 07:59 AM

Good morning folks!
Its going to be a great day here today.

My old man used to tell me: "Son, never chase after busses or women. You'll always get left behind and theres another one coming around the corner."

CW
Old June 6th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice and not too warm. Think I'll work on the Corvair, and see if I can get the fuel leak(s) stopped.

Jamesbo was there ever a definitive answer as to why today is D Day? I've heard a couple theories but never anything firm.

Sage advice, CW. Are you Curve Wrecker because you like to autocross? Or because the Toronado has tremendous oversteer and you take out the guardrail a lot?

The buyout packages are out, but they aren't terrific. I'd like to take a package but I don't have a plan B. I could buy an RV and tour the country and do odd jobs. Or be like a TV drama and get tangled up in people's lives and get them out of a jam.

Okay lunch then Corvair. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old June 7th, 2020, 05:42 AM

Beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Olds friends
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man I tried my best to sleep in today. Got up around 5 for the dog, was wide awake and couldn't get back to sleep. Finally dozed and got up around 8. Been to Lowes and Walmart and now I need to do a little bit of work before time to wind down for work.

Hot out and sunny. Got plywood to cut to go on the new bed frame and then the top part of the frame goes on the plywood. I should have everything back together this week.

So this is the week of the new(to me) Imperial. I talked to a guy a week ago, nephew of my dearly departed neighbor, who owns a towing company and also hauls stuff long distance. My neighbor had his Camaro brought down when he moved here. He said text me all your info. Didn't hear back. Texted him yesterday, hey what have you come up with? Nothing. I don't know how far in advance you have to hire someone, so if this guy doesn't work I'll be driving up there myself to retrieve the car. Not looking forward to 30 hours on the road. If he does get back with me I'm going to fly up there and assist in loading. Besides, I want to meet the guy selling it. I've talked to him on the phone and he sounds like Ben Shapiro, only doesn't talk as fast.

The Corvair yesterday was a bust. The fuel pump was leaking so I went to get an electric fuel pump to replace the stock one. They were over 40 bucks and I wasn't paying that. Went to start the car so I could move it, nada. Would kick on starting fluid but other that that, nothing. Pumped the hell out of it. No gas getting to the carbs. The fuel pump has completely gone tango uniform. I'm gonna have to talk myself into a $40 fuel pump because I asked a friend of mine and he said that's what they all go for these days. Sheesh.

Okay gonna go cut plywood. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old June 7th, 2020, 02:35 PM

To answer your question Mike, in college I was a history major. Somehow I managed to miss History 102 and ended up taking it Senior year. I nailed a perfect score on the midterm exam, and a cute freshman coed went off on me, and called me a curvewrecker. I thought it was hilarious and told my friends about it. After that they started calling me curvewrecker. Its not the worst nickname in the world I guess.

Bobby Unser complained of slight understeer in his Pikes Peak Toronado but I've never had any problems cornering, my only Toronado problems involve stopping. At any rate unfortunately my nickname has nothing to do with cars. Thanks for asking, and thanks for listening.
Old June 7th, 2020, 03:19 PM

To answer your question Mike, in college I was a history major. Somehow I managed to miss History 102 and ended up taking it Senior year. I nailed a perfect score on the midterm exam, and a cute freshman coed went off on me, and called me a curvewrecker. I thought it was hilarious and told my friends about it. After that they started calling me curvewrecker. Its not the worst nickname in the world I guess.

Bobby Unser complained of slight understeer in his Pikes Peak Toronado but I've never had any problems cornering, my only Toronado problems involve stopping. At any rate unfortunately my nickname has nothing to do with cars. Thanks for asking, and thanks for listening.
I get it, When I was at Emory, I avoided any class with pre med students,They were the 'curve wreckers" consequently I never took biology,, I took rocks [geology i,II, III, IV] I know what basalt should taste like but don't have a clue where my liver is
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Excellent day at work. The fat moron is on vacation all week. I signed all 40 wheels and we got out before 11. Cloudy and chance of rain so I don't know yet what I want to do this afternoon.

CW that's a good story. I never understood why it was a good idea for teachers to use the bell-shaped curve to grade on. Though the ones who did poorly liked it.

Nothing else exciting for a Monday. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old June 9th, 2020, 01:37 AM

It looked like rain but never showed up yesterday.Got in 18, 41 /41

Came home and plowed the garden and planted okra

They say today's gonna be a wash out. We';ll see

Mike, Did ya see the news about the OK cafe. It''s owned by the same people that own the joint where the Super model works One would think after being closed for a few months, Ya wouldn't want to P.O people as soon as ya reopen One would think

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 9th, 2020, 04:55 AM

Its going to be a fine day here today. Looking forward to nice weather this week, even if its a little wet.

Go be awesome today guys.
Old June 9th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out now, but when I left the house a little while ago it was raining. Drove out of it before I got out of town.

Jamesbo I didn't think the sign was trying to pi$$ anyone off, but the more I think about it, I think it was telling those people marching to get a life. Although, the sign could have said "Have a nice day" and someone would have found fault with it.

Carbon copy day today as yesterday. Got out right at 11 because the others don't think they need to start working until after 7. Start time is 6. Then they screwed around all morning and at the end threw a bunch of wheels on my desk and I scrambled to get done by 11. Yup, 1057. I'd still rather not have the other guy there.

And now from the I Should Really Know Better department, I went to look at a 1977 Mercedes 450SL. It was cheep, and was pretty rough. The guy said it ran good, which it didn't. Didn't tell me about the cracked windshield until I got there, and then said he had another one he'd sell me if I bought the car. I passed. Years ago I had an 81 diesel wagon. It was a cool car but a big piece of junk. Sitting in the driver's seat of this car felt exactly the same, except the hood was a little longer. Don't know if they call that the bonnet in Germany.

Clouding up again. Guess I'm staying inside the rest of the afternoon. And there's the thunder. Yup. Time to take it easy. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old June 9th, 2020, 01:32 PM

Like a cow on a flat rock this afternoon
Old June 9th, 2020, 05:45 PM
MOTORHEAD

peel porcupinre
out of MY tree that he was munch king
30 30 rifle
Old June 9th, 2020, 08:43 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
You guys crack me up! Thanks for the tater soup recipe again, Jamesbo!

Let The Good Times Roll
Old June 9th, 2020, 10:33 PM

Hit a record high of 97° today, broke the old record set in 1968. We rarely get that hot even in July or August. Rained like Jamesbo's cow.
Old June 10th, 2020, 05:00 AM

It turns out I boogered up two jobs at work. I'm going to go in, tell the boss exactly what happened, and see what I can do to fix things. The sooner you own up to your mistakes, the sooner you can repair the damage. I don't have to like it, I just have to do it.

Hope everyone has a fine day, mine will be ok.

CW
Old June 10th, 2020, 09:19 AM

The cow has been washed out of the pasture. Gusts of wind @ 70mph, a real gully washer.
Old June 10th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

The sooner you own up to your mistakes, the sooner you can repair the damage.

Old June 10th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Running On Empty

I was in the McDonald's drive-through this morning and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn because I was taking too long to place my order.
"Take the high road," I thought to myself. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own.
The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you", probably embarrassed I had repaid her rudeness with kindness.
When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too.
She can now go back to the end of the line & start all over.
Old June 10th, 2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I was in the McDonald's drive-through this morning and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn because I was taking too long to place my order.
"Take the high road," I thought to myself. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own.
The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you", probably embarrassed I had repaid her rudeness with kindness.
When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too.
She can now go back to the end of the line & start all over.
And the moral is?
Old June 10th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bunser
And the moral is?
Don't honk the horn at old people.