The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Running On Empty

We have this town in NC called Mt. Airy which is the birthplace of Andy Griffith. The town was never known as Mayberry, and the television shows which featured "Mayberry" as the name of the town in the shows were not attempting to name the town of Mt. Airy by the name Mayberry. You can read that portion of the history of Mayberry here.

At any rate, I've been to the town a couple of times - it's a nice very quaint little tourist town which has built its reputation on the fact Andy Griffith was born there and the residents harpooning the name Mayberry for there town, although the town was never meant to be known as Mayberry. The do have some of the period correct patrol cars which cruise the town which is kind of cool to see. Honestly, outside of that - there isn't much to see in Mayberry (I mean Mt. Airy).

Old August 7th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Why do I have the urge to crawl under one of those cop cars and chain the axle to a lamp post
Old August 7th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Why do I have the urge to crawl under one of those cop cars and chain the axle to a lamp post
That was indeed a classic move....

Old August 7th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got out a little early from work. What a Freakin' long week. Done with that place for 11 days.

Haven't seen that movie in years. It always seemed to me the people did so much stuff that the evening was about three days long.

Was gonna go to the Awful house but got doing some stuff when I got home and it's too late. The night people are in now and I don't want to see them. Besides I'm beat. We'll do breakfast.

Dream that is a beautiful car. And it's a celebrity. Can't beat that. What's your build date?

CW hope Sheriff Roscoe does well on the dirt track.

Norm there was a place, I think in Tennessee, where they had done up Andy's house and you could stay there, like a bed and breakfast. Every room was just like that room in Andy's house. Pretty cool.

Okay gonna fix a little something to eat, and get a few things done for tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old August 7th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Reply to Slantflat from Dream

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Got out a little early from work. What a Freakin' long week. Done with that place for 11 days.

Haven't seen that movie in years. It always seemed to me the people did so much stuff that the evening was about three days long.

Was gonna go to the Awful house but got doing some stuff when I got home and it's too late. The night people are in now and I don't want to see them. Besides I'm beat. We'll do breakfast.

Dream that is a beautiful car. And it's a celebrity. Can't beat that. What's your build date?

CW hope Sheriff Roscoe does well on the dirt track.

Norm there was a place, I think in Tennessee, where they had done up Andy's house and you could stay there, like a bed and breakfast. Every room was just like that room in Andy's house. Pretty cool.

Okay gonna fix a little something to eat, and get a few things done for tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Thanks for the compliment on my 442. Car was built at the Framington, Massachusetts's plant 4th week of June. It was the 11,993rd car off the production line. Included a pic of the cowl tag. I have absolutely no idea how a car built in Massachusetts ended up in Detroit when they were making them right there. Go figure???

I also thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing the Missouri personal plates I was able to get for the car. Generally I wouldn't consider paying extra for personal plates, but the combination of the design and being able to get the call letters I wanted was just too cool to pass up! Hope you enjoy your break from work! Hope everyone else has a nice weekend!

Old August 7th, 2020, 07:25 PM
Running On Empty

I like that plate. Cool.
Old August 7th, 2020, 08:15 PM

Reply to Vintage Chief

Thanks for the compliment on the plate! Just curious on why you chose "Vintage Chief" as your call name? Do you own a vintage Indian motorcycle or their their modern "Vintage Chief" model? Just wondering, because I've been riding bikes my whole life and plan to continue until I can't hold one up anymore. I belong to the St. Louis Indian Motorcycle Riders Group. Great bunch of guys to hang with!
Old August 7th, 2020, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

Old August 7th, 2020, 09:07 PM

Reply to Vintage Chief

That is an absolutely gorgeous bike, maybe the prettiest bike I've ever seen. Attached pics of my 2016 Indian Chieftain and 2010 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe.

Old August 7th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Running On Empty

Both nice bikes. I've ridden several of the Polaris Chieftains and Chiefs over the years - exceptional handling, shifting and extremely smooth rides.
Old August 7th, 2020, 09:38 PM

Thank you! Momma likes to ride the Indian when she goes with me, so I converted the Yamaha into the solo configuration. I love my Chieftain, but for me the Yamaha is actually more fun to ride. The Mustang seat with the driver backrest is more comfortable for all day rides. The Yamaha is 1854cc, the ECU has been flashed to remove all factory limiters, custom airbox, PCV fuel control, and V&H Pro-pipe. Ivan Rovinsky out of Congers, New York did the ECU flash and tune. Dyno'ed at 131 ft/lbs and 105 hp. It will really scoot for bagger.
Old August 8th, 2020, 02:58 AM

Headed norte,
Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old August 8th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The planets are aligned. The Awful house was back to "normal" and I ate inside and got a dog burger for Tiger.

Dream your car was built the week after I was born. I've been searching for a car that was built the day I was born, but so far haven't had a lot of luck. Seen several cars with 06C on the tag but no documentation as to which day. I think now I'd be happy with any car built 06C. I actually look at any car, especially the Fords and Chryslers. They have the actual date on their tags. The Fords you can send in for a Marti Report and it gives you the day it was scheduled and the actual day it was built. Plus how many were built exactly the way your's was, and a breakdown of the options. Those are nice looking bikes by the way.

Norm is this the first time you've put up a [big] picture of your bike? That's a lot of fringe. Very pretty. I used to have a Harley, I may have said that before. A 99 Fatboy. Rode beautifully, was very heavy, over 600 pounds, and it was black of course. When I quit riding with friends I only rode to work, on the expressway, and that was no fun at all.

Got a few things to do then I'm headed to Alabama to help a friend of mine put in his transmission. Won't be a bad job, I've helped him with it before. He's got bad eyes and they aren't getting any better so he said he wants me to take his turbo Corvair out and give it a little run. It's not neck-snapping, but at about 200hp it's fairly quick.

Okay have a good weekend everyone, see you's all next week.

Old August 8th, 2020, 09:05 AM

In my full uniform, with Flash on the hood.
Old August 8th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Absolutely love that pic!!! Go get ‘em CW.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 8th, 2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old August 8th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Reply to Slantflat from Dream

Thanks for the compliment on the bikes, much appreciated. Cool you're on the lookout for a car made the day you were born. I wish GM/Oldsmobile had documented and kept more comprehensive production records. I tried to research how many cars were made exactly like mine and the closest I could get is that 8,928 442 Holiday Coupes with the TH400 were built in 1967. If I were to look for cars made when I was born I'd have to be looking at 1959 models and they don't interest me nearly as much as the mid-60's to early 70's muscle cars. I was looking for a 1967 442 for a nostalgic reason though. My dad bought a new 1967 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe when I was 8. My brother and I had begged him to get the 442 option, but I'm pretty sure my mom was the reason we ended up without it. I always thought it was the coolest car we ever had when I was growing up and I've wanted another one ever since. It took me 40-years to get it, but I damn well made sure it had the 442 package on it this time! Good luck with the tranny in Alabama. Everyone have a wonderful weekend.
Old August 8th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Running On Empty

CW - Know any Averkamp’s or Milner’s? I believe I have cousins in every county in WI. Mom’s family hails from Dickeyville area (14 siblings; 57 1st cousins on Mom’s side). Many of my male cousins raced stock car in WI.
Old August 8th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Well, it appears that I am gonna be hiding indoors for the foreseeable future. We're gona break the record of the most days of 110+ temperatures (record = 32). Today is day number 33 and there's more to come.

The wife dragged me out of bed at some ungodly hour so she could get a hike in before the sun came up. Ugh, I don't do mornings well, and even less when it's not even daytime yet. But when the overnight low temp is in the 80s you either get out early or stay inside. So we got out (way too) early and made it back home just as the sun came up

Four Peaks mountain range off in the distance, backlit by the as-yet unrisen sun.

Last edited by Fun71; August 8th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old August 8th, 2020, 10:44 AM

Hey CW, cool pic. Kenneth, waaayy too warm for me. Nice sunrise pic. Norm & CW, I have a few in the cheese state as well. Great grandparents migrated from Germany to Phillips in 1890. My grand dad and dad were both born there, then they wandered off to Montana and Alaska. One of my dad's brothers lived in Milwaukee for many years, and worked for AMC. He later moved to Oostburg, just south of Sheboygan. We used to go there for a week in the summer in the late 60's early 70's. My cousin, last that I knew, was a deputy for the Sheboygan Sheriffs dept. Haven't seen him since the early 80's.
Old August 8th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Running On Empty

We're gona break the record of the most days of 110+ temperatures (record = 32). Today is day number 33 and there's more to come.
There’s a reason they call it a desert. No thanks.
I’d take a desert in the Andes Mountains though.
Old August 8th, 2020, 11:59 AM

Fun71 - Beautiful picture of the mountains, brutal temperatures! I have relatives south of Tuscon around Green Valley that I've visited several times. I don't think they usually get quite as warm as Phoenix though because of the elevation, but still very hot. I think the desert's beautiful in it's own way, and I love the idea of all the sunshine, but I think I'd miss regular trees and grass. My wife and I both love mountain hiking, but we'll choose to do that in Colorado or Wyoming in the cooler temps.

Pic of my wife eating lunch at Lawn Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO.
Old August 8th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

I’m getting a hankering for cheese curds.
Old August 8th, 2020, 12:42 PM

Green Valley is a nice area. Actually, just about anything out of the over developed over crowded Phoenix metro cesspool is beautiful.
Old August 8th, 2020, 09:00 PM

The guy who is taking it off my hands races at WIR in Kaukauna, WI. I'm related to the Gracyalny's who have raced there for decades.
Old August 9th, 2020, 08:41 PM

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. It will be a busy day for us tomorrow. Friday evening, one of our English Bulldogs tore one of her nails completely off outdoors. After we let her in, by the time we realized she was limping, the kitchen and living room floors looked like a crime scene. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow to have her checked out, but because of the "Rona" we can't go in with her. We are going to have to drop her off and then go home and wait for them to call us when they're done with her. I'm guessing there's not much they can do except give us some antibiotics to keep it from getting infected and some pain medicine, although I have read they do have "liquid bandage" for pets now. Anyway, it will be quite a bit of running, waiting, and worrying that I'm not looking forward to . . . and then there's the vet bill. Hope everyone has a good week.
Old August 9th, 2020, 11:57 PM

Man, I feel sorry for your dog. Hope she manages the pain until you get her to the vet.
Old August 10th, 2020, 04:00 AM

Dream, I hope your buddy gets healed up quickly. She is a cutie!!
--Man, I can't believe the long period of good weather we've been having here. Great! I just bought 2 new entrance doors for the garage. The old doors were fine but the jambs and thresholds were all rotted out. Really no good way to repair them. I noticed on my brother in law's pole barn the jambs on his entrance doors are getting bad already at only 5-7 years. My doors are about 20 years old. So I found some with composite jambs and brickmould - It seems like the wooden ones are so cheap- made out of pieces that are joined(glued) together. They are molded it color so you don't have to paint ( still have to paint door itself). Looks like you guys (Mike, Norm, James) made it thru the storm relatively OK??
Old August 10th, 2020, 04:16 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - came through the hurricane unscathed. Downgraded to a tropical storm as it approached landfall. Strong winds very minor storm surge. I love it when they fall to pieces (Patsy Cline).
Old August 10th, 2020, 04:57 AM

1969W3155 and Greg - Thanks for the well wishes on our dog, being an English Bulldog, we named her Maggie Mae. She has an older brother named Monty who we named after the famous English WWII General. I'll provide an update after we get the report from the vet.

Maggie Mae

Monty
Old August 10th, 2020, 04:58 AM

Poor puppy!

I can't believe how much I got done this weekend. I totally smashed my to do list. The guy didn't come for the Impala yet, he said next weekend for sure.
Old August 10th, 2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
1969W3155 and Greg - Thanks for the well wishes on our dog, being an English Bulldog, we named her Maggie Mae. She has an older brother named Monty who we named after the famous English WWII General. I'll provide an update after we get the report from the vet.

Maggie Mae

Monty
What? Not after the other famous English icon, Python?
(sorry....couldn't resist.)
Old August 10th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Bunser, With all due respect Monty was a "Fields Marshal" and a $hit for brains commander. It don't take me long to examine a hot horse shoe but I would never send all my tanks up one road [Operation Market Garden] "A bridge too far:

I had the same thing happen to a Springier Spatial riding in a expanded metal dog perch on the front fender of a jeep while quail hunting in Thomasville, I sure it was painful and bled like a stuck pig, but it turned out fine

I may have named him "overbite"

Handsome fella In these parts Bull Dogs [a la University of Ga] are treated like kings

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/2017/6/16/uga.aspx

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old August 10th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Bunser - I needed a good laugh and you gave it to me with the Monty Python joke. Thanks!

Jamesbo - Glad to hear your dog that did the same thing ended up ok, and I'm sure ours will too. I love college football and the GA bulldog is a great mascot! We always love seeing him on tv. However, I think a "Wolverine" would rip him a new one . . . LoL!!!!

Our pup has been at the vet this morning since 0800 and we still haven't got an update. Appreciate the positive thoughts from all you guys!
Old August 10th, 2020, 10:24 PM

We had a little rain in our area tonight.
Facebook Post
Old August 10th, 2020, 10:28 PM

Well, the video didn't upload, and I can't edit my post.
Old August 11th, 2020, 01:57 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I can view the video. Surf's up!
Old August 11th, 2020, 02:36 AM

Speaking of water and Bulldogs

I had a friend that had a Bulldog [oddly enough named Monty] He chasing something around the pool and fell in and sunk like a concrete block, Had to dive in and pull him out. The only dog I've ever seen that couldn't swim. I guess his body weight/leg ratio was out of whack

The only thing Red like's better than water is Mud

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 11th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Ever since I got my Motorcycle running my boys are constantly asking to go for rides. That gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Have a great day guys.
Old August 11th, 2020, 06:57 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Morning Olds nuts!
Old August 11th, 2020, 07:04 AM

Sorry I didn't respond yesterday with the results of what happened to our bulldog Maggie Mae. Picked her up finally from the vet at 5:30 pm CST. She ended up having to have the entire cuticle and nail bed surgically removed. Had a $500 vet bill, my wife would say I'm exaggerating, well ok the it was really $492.50! That was just the beginning of our evening. Right as we got home the storm hit. Power went out at about 6:30 pm CST, and is still out as I'm typing this at 0900. Saw an estimate that +69,000 are , or at least were last night, without power. Finally got an estimate ours may be back on around 11:30. I hope so, because Bulldogs are notorious for not tolerating heat at all. It was cool overnight and we got the house down to 72 with all the windows open. Now we're hoping it does get above 80 before the electric comes back on. Also starting to worry about losing meat and other things in our freezers. Ugh!!!