The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Clear skies tonight after a front passed though yesterday. Jupiter and Saturn are getting closer every night.
Kenneth- Cool pics. I haven't tried to look for them yet, but I'm going to tomorrow. I have a pretty decent quality Nikon spotting scope I use for hunting I'm going to dig out and use.
Old December 18th, 2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Making the Bourbon *****

https://youtu.be/b_3W1bIzfY0
Norm - I'll skip the *****, just send me the bourbon. A bottle of Wild Turkey 101 would work nicely!
Old December 18th, 2020, 07:13 PM

Chris - Sorry, made these w/ "1792 Small Batch"
Norm - Wasn't familiar with that brand, i had to look it up. I ain't too particular, you can send some of that my way. This discussion does bring up one of the great mysteries of the universe though. Why do some people think that Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskies?Bourbon is the only whiskey, Scotch is what come out the other end later.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 18th, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 18th, 2020, 07:18 PM

Holy Snot Rockets these things are strong.

Lookin Good!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2020, 07:24 PM

LoL Bout fell off the couch. Is that for real? Where in the hell did you find that?
Old December 18th, 2020, 11:49 PM

Making the Bourbon *****
Norm, ya cheated. I mix mine up by hand. Maybe you're just smarter.
Old December 19th, 2020, 05:50 AM

You bring out the best in me, Mileva...

Norm - Albert does look pretty frisky in that pic, but I'm not sure it's Mileva? Might just be a relativity groupie he's pulled out of the crowd.
Old December 19th, 2020, 05:54 AM

Well finished quarantine yesterday. Went over and worked on neighbors lawn tractor/snowblower. Boy the way they put together lawn equipment, boats, RV's etc is terrible. It would never be acceptable in the automotive field. His mower is a larger one with a 50' deck or so. It also has a snowblower attachment that goes on the front. The blower runs off a belt, the lift is by armstrong, The only thing that uses electricity is the shoot ( to send snow right or left) One 2 wire sheathed cable- OK that is fine , but where do they mount it to the frame of the blower with a bracket??? Right in line with the exhaust from the tractor engine!!! Its been melted and spliced many times! He bought it used. We fixed it again and rerouted it away from the exhaust. Geez... Anyway it was good to chum around with the neighbor and fix something. The wiring in my pontoon boat is also terrible and I bought it new- uses a bunch of cheap butt connectors. Well have a good one guys!!!
Old December 19th, 2020, 06:10 AM

Good morning guys,

Greg - Glad to hear the quarantine is over and you're out and about doing your thing.

Norm - That table you're going to help move sounds heavy. Be careful and remember you're not 60 anymore!

Warm here this morning at 45, but yet it's not supposed to get above 50. Supposed to get cloudy this afternoon, but no chance of rain. Only must do on the schedule today is making sure my truck is going to start so I'm not surprised with a dead battery tomorrow when I go to help my daughter. When it sits for 3-weeks or more in this cold weather it turns over a little slow. I can tell the battery gets run down a little over that period of time, which reminds me, I should check how old that battery is, time gets away from me these days. Other than that, college football is on the schedule for today, with most of the major conferences having their championship games today.
Have a great one guys!
Old December 19th, 2020, 08:31 AM

Norm, I'm absolutely shocked ya didn't use Pappy van Winkle

Old December 19th, 2020, 08:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out but cold. It's supposed to get up into the 50s today but it's gonna need to hurry.

No real plans for the day. I might brave Walmart a little later. I've run out of pretty much everything, which was my plan, but it was a couple days too early. I didn't have anything for my supper last night so I went to Sonic. Yuck. Everything they have is deep fried and they use really old grease. And my hot fudge milk shake had a smidge of hot fudge on the top and the rest was vanilla. I wish they could hire people who gave a damn. Well, that's it for them.

The lender person actually did call me last night. She didn't have the news I was seeking. No matter, the place that I wanted went under contract. No way I would have been able to do anything about it in that short of time. However, that does not let my agent off the hook for not wanting to show it to me. I think she's gonna be related to Sonic soon.

I find myself in need of an enclosed car trailer. I know I always say that, but I actually do need one now. I have a lot of trouble looking for trailers. Trailers are big scam items and when there's one for a low price, I think it's a scam and don't call. But then I don't want to call on the expensive ones, either, because they are too much. What's a guy to do.

So I guess I should do something. Maybe put on my big boy coat and go outside and do something. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 19th, 2020, 09:27 AM

Norm, that's a bit more than I make, which is around 80-90. I use rum for mine, probably because that's the way that my mom made them. Strange thing though, when she gave me a copy of the recipe 30 years ago, it called for bourbon.
Old December 19th, 2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I'll skip the *****, just send me the bourbon. A bottle of Wild Turkey 101 would work nicely!
If you like Turkey, you gotta try this. A friend of mine from Kentucky introduced me to it many years ago. Interestingly, his family is Irish and had a distillery for ages, but lost it during Reconstruction. He showed me the light in regards to bourbon.

Old December 19th, 2020, 01:06 PM

If you like Turkey, you gotta try this. A friend of mine from Kentucky introduced me to it many years ago. Interestingly, his family is Irish and had a distillery for ages, but lost it during Reconstruction. He showed me the light in regards to bourbon.
Kenneth - Thanks for the tip! I've seen it at the liquor store, but didn't want to spend the money not knowing if I would like it or not. I'm going to have to buy a bottle and then save it for a special occasion.
Old December 19th, 2020, 03:46 PM

Good Evening Guys,

Norm - Glad the table move went well!

Well, I went out to start my truck this afternoon, and after 3-weeks of not being started and all the cold, it barely turned and then was dead. Pulled out my charger that has a 50 Amp starter function, hooked her up and the truck started right up. I let it run for about 20 minutes and let her get good and warm and build the battery back up.

I no sooner got in from messing with the truck that I got a call from my daughter that I was going to help start moving on Monday. They were supposed to have a final walk through of the home today with their realtor, but the seller's realtor had called and said the seller had not installed a "Radon Mitigation System" yet, per the terms in the contract. They were supposed to close on Monday, so that's not going to happen now. The seller said they are going to try to get someone to install the system this coming week in hopes of closing the following Monday. My daughter and her husband told their realtor they are still interested in the house, but since the seller is already in breach of the contract, they are not willing to amend and sign a revised contract until the system is in, and the seller agrees to reduce the original purchase price by some yet to be negotiated amount to compensate them for vacation time they have already scheduled and were going to use to move into the new place. If the deal goes through they will have to schedule additional vacation time for a walk through, closing, and the move. Right now everything is up in the air and a complete mess! My daughter is 6-months pregnant with our 6th grandchild, so the hormones are already high, she was in tears and a wreck when she called. Luckily, my son-in-law is a very level headed guy and I have complete faith in his ability to guide them through this debacle. UGH!!!

So, I hope everyone had a better day than I had! My Dad never failed to remind me, "There ain't nothing about life that's easy, if it was, you'd never appreciate the good times."
Old December 19th, 2020, 03:46 PM

Just some info before you buy. Kentucky Spirit is very oaky, which I do not remember if regular Wild Turkey is or not (been many, many years since I had any and was before I learned to really appreciate bourbon). So if you are not into that oak forward taste, you may not enjoy it. I just figured if you like WT, then this is their top-shelf offering.

In a discussion of bourbon I would be absolutely remiss if I didn't mention Blanton's.

This stuff is liquid candy.

Unfortunately, it was "discovered" several years ago and is now in such demand that it's hard to find in stock anywhere. Even my friend couldn't find it back home in Kentucky, where bourbon flows like water from the tap.

Last edited by Fun71; December 19th, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old December 19th, 2020, 04:00 PM

Just some info before you buy. Kentucky Spirit is very oaky, which I do not remember if regular Wild Turkey is or not (been many, many years since I had any and was before I learned to really appreciate bourbon). So if you are not into that oak forward taste, you may not enjoy it. I just figured if you like WT, then this is their top-shelf offering.

In a discussion of bourbon I would be absolutely remiss if I didn't mention Blanton's.

This stuff is liquid candy.

Unfortunately, it was "discovered" several years ago and is now in such demand that it's hard to find in stock anywhere. Even my friend couldn't find it back home in Kentucky, where bourbon flows like water from the tap.
Kenneth - Trust me when I say I am no bourbon conusouir. I don’t know "oaky" from Muskogee!. Just the bottle Blanton's comes in is probably worth more than most the bourbon I drink.
Old December 19th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Blanton's is near the top, Just below Pappy Van Winkle
Old December 19th, 2020, 05:00 PM

My Mom's parents were big Jim Beam drinkers. When my Grandma would watch us when we were kids, my brother and I would always try to act like we had a sore throat and cough hoping to get some of Grandma's homemade cough syrup made of lemon juice, honey, and Jim Beam. Essentially my 1st wonderful experience with a Whiskey Sour.
Old December 19th, 2020, 05:53 PM

Tonight's planetary views. Jupiter and Saturn are visibly closer than before; they both easily fit into the view through my 24mm objective lens.

Old December 19th, 2020, 06:06 PM

Kenneth - Ditto Norm. You can definely tell they're getting closer!
Old December 19th, 2020, 06:20 PM

Here's an interesting comparison of the movement of Jupiter's moons from last night to tonight.

Old December 19th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Here's an interesting comparison of the movement of Jupiter's moons from last night to tonight.
Kenneth - That's neat. I hadn't even zoomed in enough before to notice the moons. Thanks for pointing them out!
Old December 19th, 2020, 08:36 PM

Norm, I do not know. It's hard to tell as we have an edge view of the orbits instead of a top-down view, so sometimes a moon may look close to Jupiter, but it's really way in front of or way behind Jupiter, and just looks close to the center of its orbit from our perspective. Sometimes I see only three moons because one is either in front of or behind Jupiter and blocked from view, then the next day or so it's visible again. It may become apparent over the next several days which moon is what as I plan to capture images each night at least until 21 DEC, and compare the images as the days progress.

Last edited by Fun71; December 19th, 2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old December 20th, 2020, 05:03 AM

--Hi guys, it's been too cloudy to see that here last couple nights. Boy would I love to go out with the lake group to the nearby pub and have some of their all you can eat fish and some beers!! Oh at least we are done quarantining and can go out some. But still all restaurants and bars are closed due to you know what except for to go orders. It's amazing how much you miss comradery and interaction with others until you can't. Enough of that....
-- Got a snowmobile running yesterday and tried it out on our land. Actually snow was too wet and slushy. Trails were mostly impassable because of wet snow holding down small trees. Also some larger dead trees broke off and fell over trail. I will go out there with quad after snow melts and do some cutting. It was fun anyway though I got completely soaked. I just wore my work coveralls and every time I went under some branches all that wet snow fell on me and went down back of my neck,etc. Wakes you right up!!
-- Tried out furnace in barn first time this year- it works good. Going to start working on 56 F100 again this year but I really don't have the ambition to start on it. Olds is tucked away in it's winter resting place... Have a good one!!
Old December 20th, 2020, 06:53 AM

Jamesbo - I've never heard of Pappy van Winkle, but I'll look it up. I believe I've seen in the local ABC store..
I doubt it, It's REALLY RARE STUFF But if you do see sum, get a bottle for your favorite mod
Old December 20th, 2020, 07:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and not too cold. We had a bit of rain last night, and rain is supposed to be here this afternoon. But for now I'll take the sunny skies..

Slept in this morning until after 8. What a luxury. Awful house was busy but by the time I left it was about cleared out. No plans for today, either, it's kind of nice just doing whatever and not worrying about stuff. So unlike me.

Kenneth I go outside at night when it's clear and try to see all this, and can't see any of it. Maybe it's too many city lights drowning out the stars. Those are amazing pictures, actually seeing the rings around Saturn. Now that's cool stuff right there.

Well have a great day everyone. As we'd say on the CB, I'm 10-8 10-10.

Old December 20th, 2020, 07:47 AM

Good morning guys,
Like Mike, I slept in this morning until 0800. Very foggy when I first got up and still pretty foggy now at 0915. It's cool at 34, but the fog is supposed to clear off and be sunny and get up to 50 this afternoon.

My bikes and the 442 are due for their regular tri-weekly winter start-up. I'm still debating whether to go ahead and do that today or wait until tomorrow when it's supposed to get up to almost 60.

Most of the college teams that I wanted to win in their conference championship games yesterday did and now i'm waiting to find out what 4 teams will be voted into the playoffs. That may have been announced yesterday but I haven't looked yet. I will watch the KC Chiefs play today if they're on..

Hope everybody has a great day!
Old December 20th, 2020, 12:53 PM

I believe your images are the Galilean moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede & Callisto.
Yes, those are the four that are easily visible. I just can't tell which one is which from the two static images that are one day apart, but you would expect Io to be moving the fastest, so that would make it the one that jumped from one side of Jupiter to the other a day later. In my images it doesn't look to be the closest to Jupiter (smallest orbit) but since it moved the most, it must be the fastest.
Old December 20th, 2020, 04:22 PM

Good evening guys,
Pretty day here after the fog lifted, got up to 52. I decided to put off pulling out the vehicles until tomorrow. Watching the Chiefs play the Saints right now, it's a good game.

My wife made a great meal, homemade Potato Soup with ham, and homemade yeast rolls, yummy. Her Christmas present came today, I was able to intercept it and hide it before she saw we got a package. She has a radial arm saw, table saw, band saw, hand held circular saw, and reciprocating saw in her wood shop. What she didn't have yet was a miter saw. I got her a high option TACKLIFE double bevel cut miter saw for her present. I should be in her good graces for all of next year with that one.

Hope everyone had a good day and has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 26th, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old December 20th, 2020, 06:01 PM
Always room for one more

So Chris, I guess you don't subscribe to the theory of not buying your wife a present with a cord, hehe. She's got quite the shop going on there. I wish I had a radial arm saw. Maybe next year you can get her a planer.

Just kind of puttered around here today. I did go to Walmart and then had to rest when I got home. That place is awful. Went over to the shop for a little bit and messed around there. I would have guessed that since it's been raining and it's cold that the critters would all be hibernating. Nope. Was sitting at the table a little while ago and what did I see crawling on me but an itty bitty tick. That guy went for a ride down the drain.

Norm I'm heading to my Mom's Wednesday morning. I had hoped to get a few things done around there but it seems my sister has planned every minute of everyone's day through the weekend. She works so hard to have fun and it just saps the energy right out of me. Last time I spent Christmas with my family was four years ago. I was recently dogless and I flew down on Christmas Day for dinner.

Well I gotta look up a couple things and then I think it's off to bed. Sleeping in on a Monday, now that's a luxury. Maybe I'll text a couple of my buddies at work when I get up and see how they're doing. Eh, maybe not. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 20th, 2020, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1302605]So Chris, I guess you don't subscribe to the theory of not buying your wife a present with a cord, hehe. She's got quite the shop going on there. I wish I had a radial arm saw. Maybe next year you can get her a planer.
/QUOTE]

Mike - As long as I stick with the power tools for her shop, I can get by with the present having a cord. She actually has mentioned she'd like a planer, and has also mentioned a lathe. I'm good with ideas for future presents right now unless she buys them herself. Hope you enjoy your time off!
Old December 20th, 2020, 06:29 PM

Tonight's views. Wow, the planets are getting much closer. Tomorrow night should be awesome!

Unfortunately, tonight's images of Jupiter's moons don't clear up which one is which.

Last edited by Fun71; December 20th, 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 21st, 2020, 05:01 AM

Have a great day guys.
Old December 21st, 2020, 05:05 AM

Kenneth, those are amazing pics. Wife and I actually saw the 2 planets last night just after sundown . Really cool!
Old December 21st, 2020, 07:05 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

G Morning All!
Old December 21st, 2020, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Tried being a good samaritan at the Awful house this morning. This woman asked if I could give her car a jump so I backed the truck up and hooked up cables, nada. She was certain the battery was bad and she was going to get another one. Let it set, click. Let it set, and it cranked over for several seconds then the battery was dead. I said, your problem isn't the battery. Yes it is. Another guy walked up and said, it's probably the fuel pump. She said no it's the battery it's done this before. I didn't want to ask the obvious. The battery was now at least part of the problem. I said, we've gone beyond being able to help you here in the parking lot. She was still sitting there when I left an hour or so later.

Overcast and cold. Don't know if we're getting rain today or not. I'm gonna stay in today and start getting ready for my trip.

Ah, Monday. I'm home and everyone else is at work. Gotta love it. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 21st, 2020, 08:28 AM

Mike, That reminds me of the time sum bimbo jumped out of her car at the Merchandise Mart and locked the keys in while it was running. I ax her If I could help and she screamed at Me. "It's a Volvo, you'll never open it"

I said, "See ya"

I guess Volos don't understand slim Jims
Old December 21st, 2020, 08:55 AM

Hmm. My wife once locked her Volvo with the keys in her purse, which was sitting on the seat. I was able to open the door with a coat hanger.

That's a skill I learned while working at the local grocery store in high school - you would be amazed at how many people locked the keys in their car. And to see the shock on their faces when a teenage kid opened their car in under 30 seconds with a coat hanger.
Old December 21st, 2020, 09:48 AM

Love those skills learn in High school. Empty gas tanks hoses at 6 closed gas stations to get and extra gallon. use a nail to tight battery cables when ya don't have a wrench. Pop a door lock with coat hanger or shoe lace