The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 05:01 AM

Have a great day guys.
Old December 9th, 2020, 06:18 AM

Norm, bundle up

I may wait fer the spring thaw

Norm, I didn't know if you had seen this Hannah Davies double shot from behind a tree

https://golf.com/news/dj-koepka-doub...nge-new-rules/
Old December 9th, 2020, 01:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad day today, the rookies are slowly improving and we were out again by 1. Tomorrow the lead is coming in on his vacation to bring us Chick Fila sandwiches. This is in place of a meal provided by the company. We can sit next to each other and work but we can't sit next to each other and eat.

A little chilly here but actually not bad. The sun has been out all day. The one tire on the car looked a little low so I checked them all and they were all 4 pounds low. So I fired up the air compressor and now they are correct. Might not pull to the right now. I keep saying I'm going to buy new tires, because the ones on there now suck, but they still have decent tread. I'll think about it again in the spring.

Went to bed early last night, gonna do that again tonight. Two more to go then it's Mike Time.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 9th, 2020, 02:10 PM

Good evening guys,
It was 10 degrees warmer here this morning than yesterday, and was up to 70 when I went out for Chinese take-out at 3:30. Unbelievably nice for December, but I could take a whole winter of it. Took the dogs for two walks and played with them a bunch in the backyard..
Hope everyone had a great day!
Old December 10th, 2020, 02:55 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm - That's pretty darn good shootin under those kind of conditions. I never liked to play when I had to be all bound up in multiple layers.

Damn dogs got me up at 0430 to go outside. They're back in bed, obviously I'm still up. Chilly right now at 33, but suppossed to be really nice again today, sunny and high 60's this afternoon. Might see if the wife would like to take the dogs to a park just for a change of scenery. Rain and cooler in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 10th, 2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:35 AM

Headed Notre [after funeral]

Norm, Good luck with the HVAC
Old December 10th, 2020, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Boy am I down for the count. I felt a bit of a tickle in my throat yesterday, and by the time I went to bed it was a cough and sore throat. Woke up this morning and decided I best stay home. This isn't the croup but coughing all day would sure to freak some people out. I slept all day.

Used to be when my neighbors were next door she would fix what I called Magic Soup. It was chicken soup that she'd put in a metal pot with a top that had latches like a Toyota's air cleaner. As soon as I'd eat the soup I'd feel better.

I texted the lead this afternoon and he said I could come back tomorrow and get paid for 32 hours. My question to him was if I didn't go back would I get paid for 30. I'll probably stay home tomorrow. No need to go in if I feel bad.

It's been so long since I've had to take care of myself I don't know what to do. I found some old Nyquil that's been helping, and ibuprofen. I'd prefer acetaminophen but that's sort of taboo these days. Every time I cough it gives me a migraine.

Well I hope everyone has a good evening. I'm going to grab a small bite and head back to bed.

Old December 10th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Called my HVAC company whom I know quite well and have a friendship with the owners. I play golf @ 0836 tomorrow morning - I spoke w/ my friend. At any rate, they'll be over in the morning between 0800 & 0830 or thereabouts to review the issue and perform the annual winter protective maintenance program (PMP) stuff. My tee-time is 0836. The house is unlocked, they fix stuff and leave. One of the perks of small-town USA. Enjoy your time UPNORTHE.

Oh yeah. Banged out another 41/42 today.
Norm - Your golf game is not only consistent, it's consistently good! Good deal you have an HVAC crew you can trust to do that, ain't gonna happen around here. Our neighbor down the street we got the hardwood flooring from is a semi-retired union electrician though. He's always good about helping me with any complex electrical stuff I have going on. I've never felt comfortable doing my own electric. I'm learning alot from him though. Hope you don't get any big surprises with your HVAC.
Old December 10th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Boy am I down for the count. I felt a bit of a tickle in my throat yesterday, and by the time I went to bed it was a cough and sore throat. Woke up this morning and decided I best stay home. This isn't the croup but coughing all day would sure to freak some people out. I slept all day.

Used to be when my neighbors were next door she would fix what I called Magic Soup. It was chicken soup that she'd put in a metal pot with a top that had latches like a Toyota's air cleaner. As soon as I'd eat the soup I'd feel better.

I texted the lead this afternoon and he said I could come back tomorrow and get paid for 32 hours. My question to him was if I didn't go back would I get paid for 30. I'll probably stay home tomorrow. No need to go in if I feel bad.

It's been so long since I've had to take care of myself I don't know what to do. I found some old Nyquil that's been helping, and ibuprofen. I'd prefer acetaminophen but that's sort of taboo these days. Every time I cough it gives me a migraine.

Well I hope everyone has a good evening. I'm going to grab a small bite and head back to bed.
Mike - Hope you feel better soon. If you get feeling worse you'd better get to a doctor or testing site and get tested for Covid. What you're describing are classic Covid symptoms, but could also just be a bad cold. You don't want to be the dude that goes back to work and gives it to 5 other guys. Just my two cents.
Old December 10th, 2020, 04:27 PM

I'm chomping down on a nice shrimp salad masterpiece I have created and I'm going to bake a couple loaves of Cinnamon, Banana, Pecan Sweet Potato bread after I've consumed this hallmark salad.
Norm- Your dinner and dessert both sound good. The bread sounds particularly good! Never tried that combo before, but I've hardly ever met a dessert type bread I didn't like. Our dinner was pretty boring, spaghetti, although it was good. My wife made Italian tossed salad and homemade crescent rolls to go with the spaghetti. There's that bread again!
Old December 10th, 2020, 04:28 PM

Maybe a rodent looking for a warm place to sleep got caught up in the blower motor?
Old December 10th, 2020, 04:48 PM

Norm - The bread sounds yummy, hope it turns out well. I love my wife's banana and zucchini breads.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:18 PM

Hi Guys, it was 3 days ago Dec 7 when I posted last and I said I was pretty darn good. Well I crashed that night, I awoke about 2 AM shivering and I was all wet with sweat. That whole next couple days felt like crap, much like you are describing Mike. I was scheduled to have a routine physical/ prescription refill appointment with my Doctor on Wednesday but Tuesday I called them and cancelled it. The gal there told me they would want a Covid test before I could come back in so I decided to get one. Bear in mind I have never had a temp over this 10 days, but I knew something unusual was going on as I hardly ever get a cold and when I do it is always gone in 3 days or less. Well this is a nationwide forum and I don't want to disclose the results of the test. I was surprised. I never had a temperature. Mike you may want to get tested.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:46 PM

Greg - I'm not a doctor, but my mom and both my daughters have their BSN's, and my ex-wife is an Adult Nurse Practioner. I'd bet my next paycheck that the night you had the chills and woke up wet with sweat that you had a fever that evening. Those symptoms are part of the bodies mechanism for breaking a fever.
Old December 10th, 2020, 07:20 PM

Norm - Totally understand your point related to the degree of temperature to the severity of infection.

Bread looks great! My wife always gives me a hard time about me using so much real butter on my bread. I'll admit, I'm a butterholic!

These were leftover homemade dinner roles from Thanksgiving dinner.
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:01 AM

CW - Did you install a dual reservoir MC?
I have a parts list, but I can't get to my car until Spring. Boo.

Have a great day fellas.
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the explanation Norm. I can understand that. Well I'm to continue quarantining until Sunday- not very hard to do now a days- what else is there to do but stay huddled up in the house. Wife and I are fortunate that this situation happened to us after retirement. Feel so bad for the young couples (Or single mothers) who maybe are a waitress or cook and have lost their job cuz there employer has had to close. So Sad!! Well on to happier topics! How is your Olds's doing fellas???
Old December 11th, 2020, 06:06 AM

OK you techies!! Wife and I are looking to get 2 laptops- hopefully identical so we can learn to use them together, She spends hours on her Iphone's little screen playing games and facebook, etc. I go on this site and others. She thinks she wants something with a Mac system, I don't know, mine is a PC but it is outdated and I think full of a bunch of crap. Sometimes the only way I can get it to start is remove the battery and let it completely reboot. We use our phones as a Hot spot and don't have any cable or satellite connection. Any advice??
Old December 11th, 2020, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Thanks for the explanation Norm. I can understand that. Well I'm to continue quarantining until Sunday- not very hard to do now a days- what else is there to do but stay huddled up in the house. Wife and I are fortunate that this situation happened to us after retirement. Feel so bad for the young couples (Or single mothers) who maybe are a waitress or cook and have lost their job cuz there employer has had to close. So Sad!! Well on to happier topics! How is your Olds's doing fellas???
Greg - I hear ya, we feel lucky we're retired under the current conditions. With both my daughters nurses, and one son-in-law a firefighter/paramedic, I worry about them everyday. I also worry about my oldest grandson who is school age now and how his education is being impacted. We feel horrible for those who are suffering much worse than anything we've faced.

My Olds is doing well and in semi-storage with a full tank of treated gas and on a battery tender. I start her up about every 3-weeks, weather permitting, and pull her out into the driveway and bring her up to operating temperature to drive any internal accumulated moisture out. All my parts and fluids for a spring tune-up are here now. Besides an oil and filter change, I'm going to install a fuel filter just prior to the fuel pump, and replace the air cleaner, before I start driving her in the spring. The air filter may be fine already, but with it being a paper element filter, and not knowing how long it's been since it was changed, it was bugging me. When I'm getting her ready to go, I'm also going to swap in the nice set of SSI's with BFG T/A's I have, in place of the polished aluminum torque thrusts that are currently on there. I'll drive it for a season with those and see how I like them.

Hope you guys continue to feel better with each passing day!
Old December 11th, 2020, 06:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Feel way better this morning. Amazing what sleeping a whole day will do for you. I woke up around 330 and made the decision not to go to work. Woke up again when the sun came up and fixed Tiger's breakfast. I'm going to try to have a normal day today, I'm tired of being sick. You know I haven't had a cold in years.

Norm I didn't have any of that stuff. Temp normal, no chills, no loss of anything. The sore throat went away within hours and now about the only remaining symptom is a stuffy nose. I attribute all this to riding around with a shaggy dog in a dirty pickup that had been closed up for weeks.

Greg I hope you recover quickly! I tell ya being sick sure can be inconvenient. Good luck with the laptop. I've been using a laptop for a few years now. It seems to be okay but I know one of these days it will start acting funky.

Okay! Gotta find something to do. Don't need to go anywhere, might do some housework. Suddenly I have this urge to bake. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 11th, 2020, 06:34 AM

OK you techies!! Wife and I are looking to get 2 laptops- hopefully identical so we can learn to use them together, She spends hours on her Iphone's little screen playing games and facebook, etc. I go on this site and others. She thinks she wants something with a Mac system, I don't know, mine is a PC but it is outdated and I think full of a bunch of crap. Sometimes the only way I can get it to start is remove the battery and let it completely reboot. We use our phones as a Hot spot and don't have any cable or satellite connection. Any advice??
Greg - I am not much of a computer whiz, but curious about where you think you will get internet connectivity from for a laptop if you don't have cable or satellite? To the best of my knowledge, laptops do not possess the capability to access and utilize mobile/Hotspot data from telephone providers? When I retired, I purchased a larger 17" screen HP android laptop with Windows operating system from Walmart that has a huge amount of storage and is plenty fast. I basically use my laptop to conduct business on and for storage. It was about $500 a couple years ago, but we have internet connectivity via Spectrum cable/WiFi.
Old December 11th, 2020, 07:14 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I use my phone sometimes as a hotspot for my laptop. Norm told me how to do it. Works great. Not always the fastest. I usually use an Ellipsis hot spot I got through the phone company for the very reason I wouldn't have to have cable or satellite.

Old December 11th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I use my phone sometimes as a hotspot for my laptop. Norm told me how to do it. Works great. Not always the fastest. I usually use an Ellipsis hot spot I got through the phone company for the very reason I wouldn't have to have cable or satellite.
Mike - Thanks, that's good to know, I can say I learned something new today!
Old December 11th, 2020, 07:51 AM

Yeah Chris, the phones are a Hot spot. Worked really good when we had 2 places, always had a connection as long as there was phone coverage. You could even stop out in the woods somewhere and use the lap top if your phone would connect. But I guess now that we have one place maybe we should sign up for cable or something. Now a days you can find info like locations of a business or something on you phone easily enough.
Old December 11th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Yeah Chris, the phones are a Hot spot. Worked really good when we had 2 places, always had a connection as long as there was phone coverage. You could even stop out in the woods somewhere and use the lap top if your phone would connect. But I guess now that we have one place maybe we should sign up for cable or something. Now a days you can find info like locations of a business or something on you phone easily enough.
Greg - This is all fascinating, just starting to read up on it now. We have Verizon cell service now and they have the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack Hotspot device that allows connection to up to 8 Veriizon brand devices with unlimited data for $65/month. Still trying to determine if the terms "Verizon brand devices" means you can only connect to devices with Verizon SIMs cards in them? Like I said, I'm no techie. We pay $70/month for Spectrum internet.
Old December 11th, 2020, 12:37 PM
Always room for one more

Good Gawd am I bored! Look at the internet, seen it all go to bed, not tired get up, look at the internet blah blah. My big excitement so far is laundry.

You know what, I've decided I'm not sick anymore. I'm done with it. I'll get dressed, run a couple of errands, and go get a pizza. Staying in my jammies just perpetuates things. I stick my head out the door when I let Tiger out, it's nice out. A bit chilly but the sun is out.

How someone can sit and look at the internet 24 hours a day is beyond me.

Old December 11th, 2020, 01:31 PM

Norm - Glad your HVAC unit pretty much checked out ok!

Talk of rum and bourbon *****, and then the pic of your bread with the butter, you're killing me man!!! Dinner's still awhile away and I'm starving. Homemade beef stew and homemade biscuits tonight.

The internals in the rear-end of your truck looked pretty clean from the pictures. Any discernible wear or corrosion you could see? Just remembering what you had said about all the salt water baths.
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:14 PM

Chris - I have not, and I will not be performing a deep-dive into the rear-end differential any further than what I am currently on the hook to finish - changing the differential 75W-140W oil. From my current view of the differential I'll examine a touch more thoroughly for wear and/or corrosion, chips, and possibly seal(s) integrity. I am not going to put the rear-end on jack stands to rotate the axle and review all sides of the gears & seals. I have no operational issues with the rear-end which would dictate I need a more thorough deep-dive. I can see several spots of corrosion - I know there was no intrusion from the differential seal. I changed the brakes and removed the brakes, wheels and drums a couple years ago while performing a brake job and I could not ascertain any intrusion. There is one device (not sure WTF it is), it looks like the LH driver's side brake line attachment point on the rear axle itself, if that makes any sense, it doesn't to me, which is leaking, but the leak appears to be emanating from that device and fluid (of some kind) is slowly covering that side of the rear axle. I'm not sure what's up with that "device". It's 'possible' it isn't a brake line attachment point, but I have no clue WTF it is at this point. It's on my agenda to investigate further over the weekend. I sprayed it down w/ some Blaster so I can clean it and better visualize WTF that thing is. Whatever it is, I'm investigating it further. I'll take a picture of it and post it when I have some time. I need to find out what it is - more to follow on that 'thing'.
Norm - Does the line on the driver's side rear axle look like the attached pic? If so, it is a combined rear diff/axle vent and brake manifold. See this link:

Old December 11th, 2020, 05:17 PM

Chris - I have not, and I will not be performing a deep-dive into the rear-end differential any further than what I am currently on the hook to finish - changing the differential 75W-140W oil. From my current view of the differential I'll examine a touch more thoroughly for wear and/or corrosion, chips, and possibly seal(s) integrity. I am not going to put the rear-end on jack stands to rotate the axle and review all sides of the gears & seals. I have no operational issues with the rear-end which would dictate I need a more thorough deep-dive. I can see several spots of corrosion - I know there was no intrusion from the differential seal. I changed the brakes and removed the brakes, wheels and drums a couple years ago while performing a brake job and I could not ascertain any intrusion. There is one device (not sure WTF it is), it looks like the LH driver's side brake line attachment point on the rear axle itself, if that makes any sense, it doesn't to me, which is leaking, but the leak appears to be emanating from that device and fluid (of some kind) is slowly covering that side of the rear axle. I'm not sure what's up with that "device". It's 'possible' it isn't a brake line attachment point, but I have no clue WTF it is at this point. It's on my agenda to investigate further over the weekend. I sprayed it down w/ some Blaster so I can clean it and better visualize WTF that thing is. Whatever it is, I'm investigating it further. I'll take a picture of it and post it when I have some time. I need to find out what it is - more to follow on that 'thing'.
Norm - Does the line on the driver's side rear axle look like the attached pic? If so, it is a combined rear diff/axle vent and brake manifold line. See this link:
https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...rizes.1162338/

Old December 11th, 2020, 06:21 PM

YES! YES! YES! You are the man. Thanks for researching it Chris. You're awesome. I took some pictures to share and I'll have a discussion regarding it later on down the line.
You're more than welcome!
Old December 11th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Chris - Thanks again for researching and finding that link. That's going to save me tons of time! I'm going to post the pictures I took of that line showing where it's broken off, where the line should be attached & a picture of the full line. I looked at this line many times over the past 17 years and convinced myself the line itself was not providing any significant mechanical function to the truck - which appears to be correct. I have no idea what a brake manifold line is to be honest, but I'll quickly read up on its function. The axle vent I can understand w/ no issues. I'm not certain exactly which of the two is responsible for the oil residue emanating from that vent orifice, but further research on my part will hopefully assist me in understanding how a brake manifold line operates. One thing is for certain - I can now rest knowing what it is and I can replace that line with a new line and clean things up. Thanks again!
Norm - Again, you're welcome. Love your truck, and that aftermarket Indian ornament is to die for! I'd love to find one of those.
Old December 12th, 2020, 06:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful here. Gonna go over to the shop and poke around a little. A friend of mine called and said he knew a guy selling an 8x16 enclosed trailer and thought I'd be interested. I'm wanting an enclosed trailer but 16' is a bit short. I'm wanting something to keep the Amphi in while I take it all apart, the car is 14' but would like space to keep all the parts together.

Norm the Chief looks good up there on the hood of the truck. Why is it called a War Bonnet?

Speaking of hotspots, since I can get internet through the phone and it doesn't cost me anything extra, is there any reason to pay $20 a month for the hotspot? Is there ever a time where the hotspot would work or do better than the phone?

Taking the day off from Awful house. Might go tomorrow. Best get ready and get going. Have a great day everyone. How you feeling Greg?

Old December 12th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

You're right Norm, I was using the wrong word. Right now I have a Jetpack that runs my wifi and it's on a contract that I have to keep for two years. The reason I have this jetpack is because my other jetpack stopped working, and the guy at the Verizon store finagled his way into selling me an additional jetpack instead of fixing my first one. Lots of double talk, back tracking, and I was totally confused so I ended up with three products from Verizon, the phone, and two jetpacks. As you can see, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.

The first jetpack contract ran out in November and I called to have it cancelled. I'm not sure when the second jetpack is up but it will be awhile. Most of the time Verizon is a $hitty company to do business with, but they have the best service that I can see and luckily I only have to contact them once in a blue moon.

So to correct my question, is there ever a time when the jetpack will work better than the phone? And once the jetpack contract is up, is it prudent to cancel it as well and only have the hotspot on the phone? On the surface I'd say yes, but being that dim crayon I don't know if I'd ever need it for traveling, or whatever.

Old December 12th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Norm - Having lived in Chicago, have you heard of "Home Run" brand frozen pizza that's made there? We originally found it at Sam's Club, then they stopped carrying it. Now we've found Walmart in our area has it. It is my favorite frozen pizza.
Old December 12th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Chris - Nope, never heard of them. My favorite at home oven pizza(s) is Bernatello Bellatoria Ultra Thin Crust Ultimate Supreme Pizza.
Norm - Probably won't make any difference on whether you've heard of the pizza before, but I left a word out of their name. It is "Home Run Inn" pizza that originated from a tavern opened on the Southside in 1923. They developed their pizza recipe in 1947, and there is still a working location in existence.
https://www.homeruninnpizza.com/
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:09 PM

Done

Lookin good!!!
Old December 12th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Chris - Thanks.

If for no other reason having a 4" lift on my truck has certainly made it FAR much easier addressing maintenance items. I can scoot around everywhere on my floor creeper. Sooooo....much easier.
Yes, that is a nice bonus! I have researched and thought about purchasing one of those Quick Jack hydraulic lift systems, but doubt I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Maybe from a safety perspective it would be worth it???
Old December 12th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Always room for one more

Nice work Norm. It will run better with everything cleaned up and spiffy.

Chris I've been thinking about a low-rise lift that I could use on the driveway, or at the shop if I'd clear a space. However, a no-go criteria for the new house I'm looking for is that it have a shop or garage of some sort I can install a nice four post lift in.

I heard in the car this afternoon that Charley Pride has died. Never was a huge fan but always listened to his songs when they came on the radio. Tremendous talent. Prayers for the family.

Well I think I'll brave the back of the TV and see if I can get the VCR hooked up, and watch some old movie I have on tape. Once upon at time I had both the DVD player and the VCR hooked together, so I could watch either and not have to switch. But then things came apart and when they went back together, well, I don't know what happened. Apparently not much.

So have a good evening everyone. It was beautiful a little while ago when I was out with Tiger but now I'm thinking I hear rain. Hm.

Old December 12th, 2020, 09:33 PM

Mike, concerning FB, I was hacked. If you tried to open that video, you should change the password on Facebook.
Old December 12th, 2020, 09:43 PM

If for no other reason having a 4" lift on my truck has certainly made it FAR much easier addressing maintenance items. I can scoot around everywhere on my floor creeper. Sooooo....much easier.
I hear that. I have so much clearance under my Jeep I can easily get under it for oil changes and other things. Compare that to the Cutlass that needs the floor jack to raise it for oil changes, or the sports wagon that has to be put up on ramps to get the 4” tall oil drain pan under it. What a difference in accessibility.