The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Good morning guys,
Cold at 31 right now, and not supposed to get above 35, with partial sunshine. At least there's no precip in the forecast.

Another low key day planned, getting my daily workout in, caring for the dogs, and watching the NFL playoffs. My wife will be working on her refinishing project in the basement, she is moving right along! She has gotten the desk and filing cabinet stripped and is starting to paint and stain.

Some good news. I finally got some replacement parts for my Yamaha that had been on backorder for 2-months due to Covid production delays. They are simple clips, that snap onto the frame, and they have a hole to accept a locking pin that is inserted through the inside of the hard saddlebag to secure the saddlebag to the frame. When I had my tires replaced late last fall the shop tech stripped out one of the clips, of course they didn't bother to tell me. I'm going to take a ride to the dealership in the spring and let the Service Manager know what happened, maybe they'll refund the cost of the part. Regardless, the Service Manager needs to know it occurred. The clips are only $4 each so I bought a couple extras in case another one fails in the future.

Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing day!
Old January 17th, 2021, 11:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Drove down to Woodbury this morning. The place was a bust. Nice piece of property, awful house. Awful area. Gonna keep looking. The property yesterday was a bust as well.

Norm I've watched that show since the beginning, and have seen all the episodes multiple times. It really is true that no matter what the situation, there's a Seinfeld episode to coincide

Stopped at the Awful house on my way back into town and sat for a couple hours jawing with several friends. Tiger stayed home today so he was fine, sleeping on the couch as usual.

Beautiful here, but again chilly. Gotta find something intelligent to do. I get to stay up late tonight since I'm off tomorrow. That's a rare Sunday. Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 17th, 2021, 01:20 PM

Hi guys, both funerals are over. Seemed nice to see and visit with old family. The one on Friday was for my cousin who had Alzheimer's. It was sold school type with open casket and trip to the cemetery for burial. I was happy to see t here was no mention of the suppose-ed just discovered cousin. The second one on Saturday was a memorial service for my wife's cousin, she was cremated. It was funny the difference between the 2 as far as masks- no one wore
r masks at t
he first one- everyone wore masks at the second....
Oops I am trying to figure out new laptop...
Old January 17th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I threw down another forty 40 lb bags of top soil in two areas of my lawn (1600 lbs). It's not that big of a deal, 40 lb bags are light & I can get 6-7 in a wheelbarrow load.
Norm - Man, that is a big deal! That's a big workout, a whole lot of hauling, lifting, and dumping, I'm impressed! Last fall I bought a heavy duty, two wheel wheelbarrow, what a wonderful improvement for handling heavy loads!
Old January 17th, 2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, both funerals are over. Seemed nice to see and visit with old family. The one on Friday was for my cousin who had Alzheimer's. It was sold school type with open casket and trip to the cemetery for burial. I was happy to see t here was no mention of the suppose-ed just discovered cousin. The second one on Saturday was a memorial service for my wife's cousin, she was cremated. It was funny the difference between the 2 as far as masks- no one wore
r masks at t
he first one- everyone wore masks at the second....
Oops I am trying to figure out new laptop...
Greg - Glad to hear both funerals were cordial and drama free. I hate to say it, but often the only time I see any extended family anymore is at funerals, but it's still nice to see folks you haven't seen in awhile despite the sad reason. A curse of being 500-miles away.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 17th, 2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old January 17th, 2021, 03:36 PM

Hey guys,
Hope everyone had a great day. Simple dinner tonight, frozen pizza, but the best frozen pizza ever, "Chicago's Home Run Inn" pizza with Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, and Bacon. YUM!

Old January 17th, 2021, 09:10 PM

Ye ole boat house got more soffits up but the barge that set the post didn't set the post on the floating dock correctly. [Couldn't tell until the lake went down] Now it's sitting crooked and pulling against the stationary dock. We attempted to shore it up Time will tell
Old January 18th, 2021, 04:09 AM

Hi guys, James, I hope you can get the boat house straightened out. I can't really see problem from pics... Chris, I am eating cold pizza right now for breakfast. We ordered out last night. I always get a large one so we have it left over. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I like cold pizza with coffee! Try it it's good!

Old January 18th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Norm, The stationary dock post were driven 6 feet into the lake bed. The problemo, is the floating dock post aren't driven in at all, They actually float up with the dock and are 'Supposed to sit down flat when the lake is lowered..You may recall when we added a slip, we moved the floating dock over 15 or so feet.. The plan de jour is to brace up the legs so the won't fold under next winter when the lake is lowered. The temporary "fix" is simply to keep it from pulling on the band of the stationary dock

The pic may not show it up we don't need a winch. We need to push the dock away from shore not pull it. It's racking towards the shore as the shore side legs are somewhat folded under
Given the weight of the floating dock, if we tried to pull the legs out, we might pull the whole thing down.

Anyone want a sausage biscuit fresh from the oven

Quick Reply
Source
Old January 18th, 2021, 06:10 AM

Hi guys, James, I hope you can get the boat house straightened out. I can't really see problem from pics... Chris, I am eating cold pizza right now for breakfast. We ordered out last night. I always get a large one so we have it left over. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I like cold pizza with coffee! Try it it's good!
Greg - I love cold pizza almost as much as warm. Had it many, many times. You're right on, it's awfully good!
Old January 18th, 2021, 06:19 AM

James - The boathouse looks great, I hope they get your dock straightened out,
Old January 18th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Hi guys, James, I hope you can get the boat house straightened out. I can't really see problem from pics... !
Look at the way the shore side of the floating dock is sloping downward. It's putting pressure on the ramp hinges
Old January 18th, 2021, 06:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out, more beautiful since it's Monday and I'm not at work. Still cold out, don't know if it will warm up at all.

Had a good visit with some people at the Awful house this morning. Now I need to go back out to Walmart. I waited a day, so maybe it won't be busy. Lots of places open so shouldn't be as many people.

Jamesbo does that problem go away when the water comes back up?

Greg about the only thing better than cold pizza is hot pizza! I keep saying I'm going to get a pizza but then never do. Maybe tonight. Then I'll have some to take to work tomorrow. I'll be the envy of the shop.

Okay gotta get things going. Have a great Milk Day everyone.

Old January 18th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Mike, Yes but next year it may rip off a band
Old January 18th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Oil change and a carwash

I hated to do it but I bit the bullet !!
I have just returned from a camping trip that required dragging the Jeep Grand Cherokee and camper down 6 miles of mining roads, also drug a lot of camping gear in and out so she was a mess and she was due for a oil change. I usually do it my self but remembered my Son -in -Law had my ramps, I usually buy the Mopar oil filter from the dealer but had not had the chance to get over there so off I went in search of the best deal for wash and lube, well forget it all the good deals apply to conventional oil with 5 quart capacity ,MY Jeep is full synthetic with 6 qts
$97.00 later I was done, I had to step back and remind myself that because of the synthetic oil and the lower miles I put on the vehicle since retirement I don't have to do this very often now (that eased the pain a little) also I'm no fan of paint killing auto washes but I'm not a regular so I gave in. I will say that considering the state the Jeep was in they did a very, very good job inside and out I was impressed. I guess I should consider myself lucky it was not a diesel !! that $97 would have bought a lot of groceries but I think this is the last vehicle (daily driver)
I will ever own so got to keep her going.

Old January 18th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Good evening guys,

Solly, hope the camping was a good time. There's always something invigorating about getting off the grid and away from crazy town for awhile. I spent several late September's camping at around 10K-feet in different parts of Colorado blackpowder elk hunting. Many of the places were so remote there were no cell signals and we had to "chain up" the rigs to get in/out. Good times!

Rough day around here. My wife woke up and her tooth issue was much worse and her jaw was swollen. She called her dentist again to ask for an emergency appointment, but the dentist was out of the office on a family emergency of her own. The office staff told my wife she should go to an Urgent Care and be seen so the abscess did not turn into a systemic issue. While we were trying to figure out an "In Network" Urgent Care close to us, the dentist's staff person had spoke with the dentist and called us back to tell us the dentist was calling in a strong antibiotic for her and would be able to see her early Wednesday morning. Saved us a trip to the Urgent Care, but it's been an agonizing day for my wife. I hope the antibiotics start helping by tomorrow,, today's been a long day. It kills me to see her in constant pain.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:01 AM

Chris,sorry to hear of your wife's tooth problem. Tooth and gum aches are the worst! I think I'm gonna go over to barn and work on truck today. It's been 2 weeks since I worked on it.
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Chris,sorry to hear of your wife's tooth problem. Tooth and gum aches are the worst! I think I'm gonna go over to barn and work on truck today. It's been 2 weeks since I worked on it.
Greg - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. I am hoping the antibiotics start kicking in and she can get some relief today. We got the antibiotics early enough yesterday that she got 3 doses in before going to bed.

Good luck with the truck resto. Snap a couple pics for us if you think of it while you're there. Have a great day!
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:28 AM

Good morning guys,
Cold at 31 degrees this morning, supposed to be sunny and get up to around 42. Temps are supposed to keep climbing through Thursday when we're supposed to get low 50's.

Like I told Greg above, I'm just praying for some relief for my wife today. Two of our grandsons are having birthdays this week, one was 2 on the 17th, and our oldest will be 8 on the 22nd. I can't believe the older one is going to be 8, it doesn't seem possible. We are having a party for them this coming Sunday at my oldest daughter's new home. Should be fun if my wife can get feeling better.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:54 AM

Chris, I wish your wife a speedy recovery. I used to keep Zpak on hand for such occasions. I need some dental work done but My dentist's office told me he had a "mild heart attack"

Good thing I wear a mask when I'm out
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I wish your wife a speedy recovery. I used to keep Zpak on hand for such occasions. I need some dental work done but My dentist's office told me he had a "mild heart attack"

Good thing I wear a mask when I'm out
Thanks James!
Old January 19th, 2021, 06:42 AM

I cracked a tooth on Saturday, so I guess I really do feel your pain!

I'm bringing in the heads today off the 425 I'm rebuilding. I have at least two bent valves.

I gave away my last set of frame pads for olds V8 motor mounts. I don't need them now, but eventually I will need another pair. Anyone have a set they could spare?
Old January 19th, 2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
I cracked a tooth on Saturday, so I guess I really do feel your pain!
CW - Nothing worse than tooth pain, hope you can get to the dentist and get some relief soon!
Old January 19th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The American Red Cross results of my blood donation included a SARS-CoV-2 Ab test. The results are NEGATIVE. I filled out a form on our local county website for a SARV-CoV-2 vaccine inoculation since I am eligible. I have no clue where they are in regards to dispersing vaccines; although, the 65+ group is a priority.
Tee-time @ 11:14 am. The distal end of my right thumb has two open crevices (more like gorges) the size of the Grand Canyon & they're painful. My fingers have never liked the cold weather. Continually rubbing them w/ any form of emollient (e.g. Vaseline) works but I wouldn't be able to actually "do" anything with my hands all day. Such are my dilemmas!
Norm - During the winter I can have flare ups of eczema associated with my skin getting very dry. I have had good luck with "Curel Itch Defense" lotion. After a couple of minutes it doesn't seem to feel greasy like other lotions or creams. For me it keeps the dry, cracked skin and eczema in check. Wife and I pre-registered with the County Health Department for our vaccines. We are not in a high priority group, but will give us another avenue for getting the vaccine sooner if our Health Care Provider does not contact us first.
Old January 19th, 2021, 10:00 AM

Chris, I hope that your wife's tooth pain subsides with the medication, no fun at all. Norm, you could also try Gold Bond cracked skin relief. My finger tip get splits in them from handling the ceramic cores at work, they pull all of the moisture from them, works pretty well. Another solution is Liquid Skin, as it will cover the cracks until they heal.
Old January 19th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I hope that your wife's tooth pain subsides with the medication, no fun at all.
Dan - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife!
Old January 19th, 2021, 11:20 AM

Yeah hope for a speedy recovery for your wife. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and avoid the doctor when I can (probably a bad thing)
but two things that will drive me to seek medical help are tooth pain and ear pain !! hope all turns out well.
Old January 19th, 2021, 11:26 AM

I'm building a 425 either for my T bucket or something unknown. I have a 425 from a 66 Toro with B heads. I'm considering this cam.

Comp cams 42-308-4

Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 270/270, Lift .501/.501, Oldsmobile, 260-455
Old January 19th, 2021, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by solly
Yeah hope for a speedy recovery for your wife. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and avoid the doctor when I can (probably a bad thing)
but two things that will drive me to seek medical help are tooth pain and ear pain !! hope all turns out well.
Thanks Solly, the well wishes from all you guys makes the situation easier to get through, at least for me.
Old January 19th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Good afternoon guys,

My wife is doing a little better today. The abscess in the gum around the bad tooth burst a couple of hours ago which gave her immediate relief from the throbbing, brainsplitting pain. I'm sure the antibiotics are also starting to kick in. She said the pain has went down from a 12 to a 4, so I think we're going to make it until she sees the dentist tomorrow at 11:00.

Really appreciate everyone's well wishes, you're a great group of guys! Hope you all have a great day!
Old January 19th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not sure what happened at work today. I was in inspection and we spun I think about 150 wheels. We were supposed to do 120. I'm told the guy who runs the back likes to throw a few extra in, why I couldn't tell you. Overachiever I guess. Maybe we'll do that many less tomorrow. We left just before 2.

Was nice all day but now is cloudy. Warmish, around 60.

So help me out here. Everyone knows I don't sell things. My 08 Saturn Aura, which belonged to my Mom and now I'm driving it, is starting to have little niggling problems. This is a nice car that I enjoy driving(for a 6 it really moves) but I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death over it. My Mom assures me she doesn't want it back, but I'm having a hard time with selling it. It isn't worth much, I can't imagine who would buy it, and Carmax is a ripoff. Plus I'd just have to buy something else that wouldn't be new and have problems of its own. Ideas? Get something else anyway and park this in the back? Take it to Carmax and take my lumps? Fix whatever is wrong and keep on trucking? Ug this is so taxing.

Chris I had an abscess in my throat once that was unbearable. Perhaps this is TMI. It was the same thing that George Washington died from. I'm glad your wife is feeling better. That is pain I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Okay gonna do something outside since it's nice. Not sure what, maybe just stand around. I hope this isn't the best Indian Summer has to offer. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 19th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Mike - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. I can definitely tell she is feeling a little better.

As for the Saturn, you said you enjoy driving it, and said yourself there are no guarantees that a different used vehicle won't have it's own issues. If it were me, I'd drive it a while longer, and see how it goes. If you just park it you're losing money two ways, you're out money for the new vehicle, and the Saturn is losing value just sitting. Just my experience, but seldom do you come out on the positive side of the ledger monetarily when selling an older vehicle and buying a new used one, unless you're definitely unloading a lemon. To me, the Saturn doesn't sound like a lemon, it's just getting to the age when you'd expect some things to wear out. You asked for opinions, that's mine in good faith.
Old January 19th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Always room for one more

Well thanks fella's. Good advice from opposite ends of the spectrum.

Chris you are of course right. You have no way of knowing how twisted and demented my car buying habits are. Jamesbo probably knows. I will overthink this thing for days and weeks. Honestly I'd sell it and not look back, but it's my Mom's car, and even though she has a new car(that I'm paying for) I'd just feel funny selling it, even though it is titled, registered, insured in my name. Probably what I should do it buy another car anyway, just in case...

Norm, I read once in the Quad City Times about some people who had a Mercury Capri(Fox Mustang one) and they reported it stolen to collect on the insurance. They dug a big hole in their back yard and pushed the car in and filled in all the dirt. Trouble was, they didn't dig the hole deep enough so they jumped up and down on the roof of the car to bash it in. When the police came to make a report, they saw the big dirt mound and went out and found that the "stolen" car was indeed buried in the back yard. The people went to jail, the police dug up the car, and the insurance company was left with a mess. I of course would not attempt a similar act, but you reminded me of this.
Old January 19th, 2021, 04:20 PM

Mike, every car I have decided I didn't need any longer I sold. (unless it was so bad I took it to salvage). Do you have to sell used cars to Carmax in Atlanta?
Old January 20th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat

So help me out here. Everyone knows I don't sell things. My 08 Saturn Aura, which belonged to my Mom and now I'm driving it, is starting to have little niggling problems. This is a nice car that I enjoy driving(for a 6 it really moves) but I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death over it. My Mom assures me she doesn't want it back, but I'm having a hard time with selling it. It isn't worth much, I can't imagine who would buy it, and Carmax is a ripoff. Plus I'd just have to buy something else that wouldn't be new and have problems of its own. Ideas? Get something else anyway and park this in the back? Take it to Carmax and take my lumps? Fix whatever is wrong and keep on trucking? Ug this is so taxing.
I have some experience here with the Aura on the value side. I had an '08 Aura XE with the 3.5L on a lease. I wish I had purchased it at the end of the lease, but circumstances arose where I just turned it in. I don't remember having any problems with that car in the entire 48k miles. It was easily my favorite car that I had ever owned as a new/daily driver, until I bought my Lacrosse mid '19. I briefly searched for a nice used one this past summer with the 3.5 (the XR uses the 3.6), and really couldn't find anything under $4k with reasonable miles on it. I was specifically looking for something with less than 130k miles, which I know is a stretch given the age. COVID did drive up prices on everything used over the summer, though, so it may have been a one-year spike in used car values. The used jet ski market was INSANE last summer, too.

If your car is in nice shape body-wise, miles aren't too high, interior still nice... you might want to seriously consider fixing it and continuing to drive it. If you decide to get rid of it, I think your selling price will be better than what you think. Those cars are solid, dependable vehicles.

Curious, what are the little things that are starting to have problems?
Old January 20th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Old January 20th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Made it home around 1 today. The breakdown number was 105 but I have a feeling we did more. Perhaps the guy running the show is getting us ready for a good Friday. It's beautiful out today and in the 50s.

Weezer my car is literally the old woman's car. It is also an XE 3.5 and it's about to turn 69K miles. Still in very good shape. The biggest problem I have with it is the engine has this shuddering to it, that is easily overcome, I think it's some sensor but from what I've read it could be as easy as needing a set of spark plugs. That's on the list. It needs tires, which are some super sport tires that will cost me 800 bucks if I can't find a suitable alternative. The key fob doesn't work, but I believe that has something to do with replacing the battery, because the tire pressure thing doesn't work, either and both did fine before I took out the battery. The driver's door lock doesn't lock very often and I have to remember to push the button after I push the lock button on the door. It's a nice looking car, silver with a silver interior. At only 160K built over three model years, there aren't many around. It was an excellent car for my Mom and the only reason I have it now is because she had trouble getting in and out of it.

Greg, do I have to sell a used car to Carmax in Atlanta? No, I can sell it anywhere I want. I'm guessing that wasn't what you meant. I have sold to Carmax in the past, and also bought from Carmax. Both times I came away thinking it wasn't the best experience. Wouldn't go there again.

Well I'll find something to do. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old January 20th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I think I know that guy.

What is your angle calling your alternator a generator, three times? Once when I was a kid I bought a new(rebuilt) alternator for my Corvair, and didn't get around to putting it on for like 6 or 8 months. When I did it sounded horrible, whoever rebuilt it used bad bearings. It was an auto electric place and I went back and they remembered me, and swapped me another one. They tested the second one.

Some day I'll have a nice place to work like you do.

Old January 20th, 2021, 12:56 PM

Silly me, I thought it is/was an alternator also
Old January 20th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Always room for one more

And all this time I thought it's because the generator made DC power and the alternator made AC power.

Now let's get into why the spring is actually the shock absorber and the shock absorber isn't.