The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2020, 06:14 AM

--Norm that fitting is just the same as on my 06 F250. The tube that threads into the axle is steel and the brake fitting"T" is brass. Dissimilar metals??? Yep. Add a lot of salt and water and what ya got? The tube erodes! Long story and no pics, the steel brake line off the top of the brake hose rusted out on mine, (up by the gas tank).. The hose was also ruined from all the salt this old girl has spread over the years. So I replaced the steel line and the hose. I had to cut the "legs" off the hose with a die grinder at the axle as the tube was siezed and eroded so the 1/2" hex was too small for a wrench. Luckily I could remove both the steel brake lines that went to each rear wheel. After I cut enough of the fitting to be able to turn the entire lower part of the hose with the tube, with some vise grips. I could take it over to the bench and cut what was left of the brass off the steel tube. What a hassle! Anyway my truck had never been raised. You mentioned about getting water in the rear after pulling a boat out, I would think if everything was sealed it wouldn't get in unless you went as deep as the top of the vent.
--I know you lived in this area so you probably have seen it but a lot of our Olds friends from Texas or Arizona, etc won't believe how rusty vehicles can be here. There was a guy who had a junkyard in the Upper Peninsula. In the early 80's he had a 59 Cadillac that he got in that was usual Michigan. A fella wanted to buy it from him and have it shipped to California. The UP guy knew the Calif guy wouldn't believe how rusty it was so he told him. " Imagine the rustiest 30 year old car body you've ever seen that has been out in a flood plain. Now multiply that amount of rust by 10 times and you will be able to imagine how rusty a 30 year Michigan car is!!! Ok Enough hunt and pecking- WHEW....
Old December 13th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Good morning guys,
Gray and cool this morning. Currently 37 degrees at 0830 and not supposed to get over 40. Some scattered rain is supposed to move in later this afternoon. No big plans for today. Probably just check to see if the Chiefs are playing on TV today and at least watch that game if it is on. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 13th, 2020, 07:14 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rather pleasant day out. A little sun here and there, a little overcast, not too chilly. We got quite a bit of rain last night and it also warmed up. No plans for today except Walmart.

What I tell people about growing up near Chicago is that our cars rusted up to the windows. When I first moved to Atlanta and drove around in my 27 year old native Illinois car, people just stared and would comment on the rust. Quarters gone, the usual holes in the bottoms of the doors and the rocker panels. Oddly enough the floors always stayed nice. Don't think they are now I haven't looked at them in awhile.

Dan I did just that. What did the hackers gain from you? Just contacts so they could do the same thing to others? Do they get money somehow? Do they know you and not like you? Seems a pretty silly game to just cause trouble for the sake of it, and not get anything out of it.

So I'll be at my desk this week and on vacation all next week. That will use up all my 2020 holidays and I get new holidays January 1. I still have quite a bit of vacation to use by March 3, so I might plan a trip or two. I haven't gotten away in a long time. Florida doesn't count.

Okay here I go to Walmart. Wish me luck. See you's all later.

Old December 13th, 2020, 09:09 AM

In the spirit of Christmas, and our Oldsmobiles, Ralphie and The Old Man's 1937 Oldsmobile Six touring sedan.

Old December 13th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Nice. Tan cloth upholstery for the Parkers, I believe.
Norm - I honestly don't remember the interior upholstery color. Hard to believe after watching it 30 times. I'll have to watch closer during the flat tire scene this year. I did buy my oldest grandson a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas last year, he was six. My girls still have their Crossman BB guns I bought for them and taught them to shoot with when they were around 10.
Old December 13th, 2020, 10:32 AM

Norm - Yep, great memory, it was tan cloth. Great link and article, that one's a keeper for me! Thanks!!!
Old December 13th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Mike, nothing that I am aware of. Late Friday I was on FB, and saw a PM from my brother's wife, the same one that you got, and clicked on it. After not seeing anything, I hit it again, thinking that something wasn't working. It was working, on hacking me. I then backed out and saw a message from my sis in law that she was hacked. I then went to my account settings and changed my password, but it was too late as I got a message from FB in my email that I was hacked, and that they locked me out. Went back to FB and changed my pswd again, and added another security step.
Old December 14th, 2020, 04:24 AM

--Dan, Did you get this slush crap???
--Oh yeah they were calling for 8-10 inches Friday night and we got it! Woke up Sat Morn to about 7 " of slush, nasty heavy stuff. Well aside from having to quarantine what else do I have to do? But then about 9AM..... boom, boom, out go the lights,,,, Oh ****... Ok so after attempting to move this slush on top of mud I finally realized power wasn't coming back on. Hooked up generator and got power for 2 hrs to heat house back up. I have a old generator that only has a 1 gal tank. So now here it is Monday morning and still no power. So for last 48 hours wife and I play Monopoly, etc by candles then run generator on and off. We have been starting gen about 8 PM watch a dvd for about 2 hrs and set thermostst to 72. By time gen runs out of gas house up to 72 and dvd over. Then go to bed, wake up about 6 and see if power back on- nope... Restart generator, and so forth.... This year so far has really sucked, ah could be alot worse... Like is good.
Old December 14th, 2020, 04:47 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock, No smacking whitey today
Old December 14th, 2020, 05:32 AM

Greg - That sucks! Hope you get your power back soon!

No snow here, just cold for here at 25 at 0730, supposed to get up to 40. The tourist town of Branson in far SW Missouri actually got about 3" of slushy snow yesterday, unusual for them. No big plans. Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 14th, 2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old December 14th, 2020, 09:51 AM

Greg, no we didn't. We got maybe 1-1/2" here on Saturday. A lot of people sliding off the roads. I only went out for gas and groceries, then proceeded to watch football. Went to work yesterday, but the roads were clear by then.
Old December 14th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Norm - From what I can see on my side, your pics did not upload??? No pics on my side.

Bread sounds great, gotta love that butter!
Old December 14th, 2020, 09:53 AM

WTF, now the pics are there, what's going on???
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Frankenstein 442 owner

First snow of the year

Couple of inches today, then 16 more on Wednesday!

Old December 14th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Norm, I don't wanta spoil your fun, but have you thought about doing a water test with a hose?

What is between the straight vertical flashing and the corrugated metal?
Old December 14th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sunny out but windy and cold. I thought I'd go out and do something, now I don't want to. I can man up with the cold if I have to, but the wind is a deal breaker.

Norm, just a question. Oh wait. Did you build the new garage? If you did, did you consider building it separate from the old garage and attach it with a breezeway? The bread looks scrumptious. Too bad it has bananas in it.

Work was slow. No one was in a hurry, and on top of that both robots broke and we had an impromptu hour break. The lead wasn't there, so nobody cared. Lots of people off trying to use up their paid holidays and vacation before the end of the year, so I don't see things getting better any time soon.

So Monday was a success. Gonna relax this evening and go to bed early. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old December 14th, 2020, 02:38 PM

You're killing me man!!!
Old December 14th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I remember that video from before. You know what makes me smile, because I'm simple? You have the big car parked inside the small door and the short car parked inside the big door.

My question actually was, did you consider building a free-standing building and then connect via breezeway to the old garage, or did you specifically want the new building to attach directly to the old garage? Apparently since you built it you wanted it specifically to attach to the old garage.

Tiger has chewed all the felt off a tennis ball and chewed the rubber in half. Since I got three ***** for a dollar fifty I'd say he's gotten his money's worth out of this one. It's going to disappear the next time he goes outside. I read once some GSD "expert" said not to let them play with a tennis ball, as they could end up swallowing it. Really?

Okay working on getting a fire in the stove.

Old December 14th, 2020, 03:03 PM

Power back on @ 1500 today. Yea!!! Norm your man cave looks awesome!!
Old December 14th, 2020, 03:04 PM

Norm - I was admiring the wall art in your man cave. Do you have the "Old Indians" sign on the right in my attached picture at the top of your wall, it was hard for me to tell?

Old December 14th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Power back on @ 1500 today. Yea!!! Norm your man cave looks awesome!!
Greg - Happy for you buddy, it's especially tough when it's cold and you need to stay warm and keep pipes from freezing!
Old December 14th, 2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Tiger has chewed all the felt off a tennis ball and chewed the rubber in half. Since I got three ***** for a dollar fifty I'd say he's gotten his money's worth out of this one. It's going to disappear the next time he goes outside. I read once some GSD "expert" said not to let them play with a tennis ball, as they could end up swallowing it. Really?
All of my dogs have enjoyed pulling the fuzz off tennis *****. I learned that real tennis ***** hold up a lot better than the "dog toy" tennis ***** you get at pet stores and such. Buy the real deal as they are cheaper and last longer. And yes, once the ball cracks, the rubber pieces can be swallowed and cause bowel obstructions. I throw them away once they crack so the dogs don't have an opportunity to subject me to an astronomical vet bill.
Old December 14th, 2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Mike - We love for our bulldogs to have toys, but have to be careful with what we give them. As you might expect from their reputation and look, they have incredible jaw strength similar to a pitbull. They can shred a tennis ball and be ripping pieces of the rubber off in 10-minutes max.. About the only toys that hold up for any length of time are the NylaBones made for "Intense Chewers", and they even eat those up. Thankfully they're designed to come apart in tiny nylon pieces that pass easily through their digestive system.
Old December 14th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Are you from 'Sconnie Norm? Or do you just appreciate quality beers? Maybe we should make a bootleg run of Spotted Cow to the East coast! Eastbound and down!
Old December 14th, 2020, 04:42 PM

I think i see your problem. Your water ways on shingles are not staggered on several courses
Old December 14th, 2020, 04:58 PM

Norm, all I see are beers you could read the Sunday paper through. I like beers I can chew on a bit.
Old December 14th, 2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Norm, all I see are beers you could read the Sunday paper through. I like beers I can chew on a bit.
Kenneth - They make a seasonal coffee stout, that's the one I'd be bootlegging
Old December 14th, 2020, 05:34 PM

Ray - Hot diggity dog biscuits. I believe you're correct! The older garage shingles were raised & underlayed with new shingles when the metal building was built and attached and it looks like my contractor (who is NOT a roofer) did in fact just as you stated: He did not stagger his courses. If fact, as I now look at the area(s) where he replaced/installed the newer shingles some of the water ways are actually aligned on several courses! Why didn't I see that. Brilliant observation!!!! Thanks.
45 years in construction makes ya notice a lot .
If only I knew more about these unique cars called Oldsmobiles
Old December 14th, 2020, 06:06 PM

I guess homebrewing for decades has made me a beer snob, and I like big, bold, malty beers. My absolute favorite is Russian Imperial Stout, but I'll happily take a German dopplebock, Irish stout, Scotch ale, or the like. If you've ever savored an Arrogant Bastard Ale, then you know what I like.

Those fellas aren't bashful at all.

Last edited by Fun71; December 14th, 2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old December 15th, 2020, 02:09 AM

I am so glad you chimed in because that is the issue. A friend of mine, professional contract roofer from FL, and me installed new shingles (house & garage) 17 yrs ago. You'll notice the other shingles are obviously installed correctly. The house/garage was built 1930, had two layers of shingles we ripped off, I did most of the repairs to the underlayment hardwood, scissor joyced any needed rafters, etc. The house roof has four valleys, as well. At any rate, your acute eye has resolved my issue - the reason behind the water intrusion. Thankfully I stay on top of repairs because over time this could have proven much worse. The rafters in the area of the water intrusion look fine. There may be a little rot towards the one rafter nearest the eve - but not much. I'll scissor-joyce that rafter for reinforcement. Thankfully, I also have on hand several squares of the same shingles I purchased 17 years ago for these exact same reasons - I reside in a hurricane laden area. Really it's just about ripping it up, repairing it & rebuilding it properly. If you could see a roof profile image, the roofing has sunk gradually from the area of least damage to the area of worse damage. Alright, this actually makes me feel so much better understanding & knowing the cause of this issue. I'll suggest to my contractor (who has become a good friend of mine over the years) it's one of his "features". Hey stuff, happens, you move along, you fix stuff and get on with life. Thanks again!

those shingles look like a GAF Slateline shingle with smaller than normal size profile. Most 3 tab shingles are 12" tabs where yours are apx 8" wide so very important to get that stagger right.
I would also spray all wood in that area with bug and ant spray liberally before re shingle.
I just hope step flashing is installed right. Google proper step flashing installation
Old December 15th, 2020, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
those shingles look like a GAF Slateline shingle with smaller than normal size profile. Most 3 tab shingles are 12" tabs where yours are apx 8" wide so very important to get that stagger right.
I would also spray all wood in that area with bug and ant spray liberally before re shingle.
I just hope step flashing is installed right. Google proper step flashing installation

I don't like the looks of the flashing either, If it were me, I'd put on a metal roof [set it and forget it]
Old December 15th, 2020, 03:18 AM

Good morning guys,
Damn dogs both got me up at 0400 to go out on what I'm pretty sure is the coldest morning of the winter so far. It's 23 right now at 0430 and supposed to drop another 2 degrees before sunrise. Sunny today, but only supposed to get up to around 38.

Norm, glad to see you got the cause of the roof leak figured out with Ray's keen eye. Hope it isn't too much of a chore to get it fixed right. One of the great things about this site is there are guys with all kinds of backgrounds and expertise willing to give valuable advice.

No big plans today, other than being the primary dog "sitter". The neighbors that we got the salvaged hardwood flooring from are in their late 70's, and the wife fell about 3-years ago and tore up her shoulder requiring multiple surgeries and she still can't do much. Since then, my wife has been cleaning house for them once a week. With these neighbors ripping out most of their existing flooring, plus remodeling a couple of bathrooms at the same time, there has been the usual associated destruction and construction related mess. My wife has been over there the last 2-days for 3 or 4 hours, and will be again today, helping them keep up with the mess. Hence my role as primary dog "sitter" when she's gone.

It was nice to see the Covid 19 vaccination campaign get underway yesterday! Who knows when most of us will be able to get it, but hopefully by late summer or fall next year things will start getting back to where our lives look more normal. With two daughters who are nurses, and a son-in-law who is a firefighter/paramedic, I'm hoping they'll be near the front of the line to get theirs. I think the scariest thing about this virus is it's unpredictability of who may be adversely affected. Yes, most of the time it's the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, but there are also plenty of cases of young, otherwise healthy, individuals who do not fair well.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 15th, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old December 15th, 2020, 06:15 AM

Nice looking place ya got there, Norm. Yep water is a huge thing to recon with. We sure get a lot of rain here but no huge gale force winds like you're talkin... Beautiful morning! Power is back on and I am determined to get out of the funk I've been under for 2 weeks or so. We still have to quarantine but I think I might go over to barn and start my winter projects I've planned for the old truck. Have a good one guys!!!
Old December 15th, 2020, 10:02 AM

From my perspective it's like watching a horse race at Churchill Downs. Each horse represents a vaccine produced via one of several design elements. The Russian Gam-COVID-Vac (trade-named Sputnik V) vaccine is a good vaccine. It was released last week & I believe they already have ~120,000 inoculations. Sputnik V is an Adnenovirus vaccine. Any of the Adenovirus vaccines I consider to be the best vaccines. The Moderna Vaccine is a mRNA recombinant vaccine, while the Johnson & Johnson & AstraZeneka vaccines are Adenovirus vaccines. I believe globally we began with about 40 vaccines which moved through Phase 1, 20 or so moved onto Phase 2 and Phase 3, and maybe four have now "formally" moved into limited use, emergency use production with I believe only two having received Phase 3 government and WHO approval. So, how this plays out is interesting to me. Moderna (recombinant RNA vaccine) versus AstraZeneca/J&J & Gam-COVID-Vac (Adenovirus vaccines). We're all jockeys riding a horse to the finish line; perhaps, a bar tender analogy works - I'd like a shot of Moderna followed by a J&J spritzer, please.
Norm - Was there a reason why you failed to mention the Pfizer mRNA vaccine that is the one being distributed now? With the published data for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines showing 95% efficacy after the two shot regimen, it's hard to imagine having anything any better? Of course we'll have to see if that efficacy rate holds true in a much wider nationwide distribution.
Old December 15th, 2020, 11:44 AM

Ray - Have you managed to remove those broken bolts on your car or have you elected to head South for the winter? There's nothing more frustrating than not just one, but a series of water pump cover broken bolts. I feel your pain!
i got a mig welder and got 2 our easily.then the urge to go south struck me,so in spring i'll tackle remaining 2 or 3 broken bolts... probably drill out and re tap . Damn that one on the bottom.
Old December 15th, 2020, 12:03 PM

QGEN (Qiagen) stock will most likely triple in less than a month? They own Ellume.
The USA government has already purchased 100 million doses of Moderna. Which one you going to take? Think you'll have choice?
I'll have a shot of Moderna with a J&J backer, please.
Nope, I don't think I have a chance in hell of picking which one I'll get. I'll just be glad to get it when it's my turn.

Hey, I think you might have a problem with the FDA . . . LoL . . . U.S. bureaucracy, incompetence, and B.S., have you forgotten, I've been there, done that!

Old December 15th, 2020, 12:15 PM

I've had a UV light up my bunger and a IV in my arm since March. Both are getting itchy.
I almost fell out of my F'ing chair and spewed my soda all over the floor when I read that! Funniest damn thing I've read in a long time!
Old December 15th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

My nards are always freezing in this stupid house because it's so drafty. Good insulation, good heating unit, lots of drafts. I had good windows years ago but a couple of them busted their seal so they are no longer pressurized.

Good day at work. I helped out in inspection a couple hours while one of the guys had to go to a meeting. Then had to play catchup doubletime till the end of the day to help make our mark. We did pretty good overall.

Greg look forward to hearing about the truck again.

Norm I don't think we've seen the place in a big picture like that. Very nice. Love the old bungalo house. Are both your fireplaces functional?

Don't have much to do this evening, I might just go to bed. Tomorrow is of course the Day o'Humping. I keep thinking this is supposed to be a short week, but it isn't. I'm off all next week and I think that's creeping into my thoughts.

Have a good night everyone.

Old December 15th, 2020, 04:44 PM

That old school "repair" is a hoot, Norm!
Old December 15th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Good evening guys,
Pretty slow day around here today. I mentioned this morning that my main duty today was going to be "dog sitting" while my wife was down the street helping our neighbors. Well the dogs wore me out, so much so that I had to send my wife a text stating, "Hurry home, the dogs are acting out and driving me nuts!" I sent a pic, because as we all know a pic is worth a thousand words.

Don't know why, but she didn't rush getting home!
Have a great evening!