The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2019, 04:59 AM
Running On Empty

Smack it - smack it good!
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good first day of the week. Remember Mr. annoying? For weeks he's been carrying on about his 16 year old Jack Russell who's blind and crippled and should just die already. He wanted to take him to the vet but the wife and daughter couldn't bear it. I said, that is selfish they should think of the dog and his zero quality of life. Well the wife called him this morning and told him the dog died and the guy didn't even have the phone set down before he was sobbing big alligator tears and carrying on. He just picked up his lunch box and left. The lead just looked at him. He said, well, maybe he'll be in tomorrow. I think he'll be out the rest of the week.

Beautiful and hot again. Not quite as hot. I'm going to take in Summit tonight, hope it cools off a little so more people will come out. I also need to get a couple tools, though I doubt I get them there. I need a steering wheel puller and the lock plate compressor tool.

Great day for a convertible. The guy said leave the top up for 10 days so the sun will help it finish conforming to the frame. Then he said I could put it down but to put it back up before the sun went down. So I wonder if I put the top down and then have trouble later on, if he'll want to fix it because I didn't wait the ten days. Ug.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. I'm gonna do a little rattle canning before I go to Summit.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What chainsaw did you purchase?
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
Running On Empty

40/41
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Always room for one more

Interesting evening at Summit. It was cooler so more people came out. Two Oldsmobiles, a 68 442 convertible red and black, and a 67 442 convertible that was triple yellow. It was a 4 speed and had power windows, and about 17" repros of SS1's. Looked nice. That was a lot of yellow. Talked with a guy I hadn't seen in a while, he's going to sell me some 57 Chevy parts for cheep. I didn't stay too long.

Norm I ended up with a Craftsman 46cc, 20" bar chain saw. I wanted the 20" bar, and all the big name saws were well over 300. I wasn't paying that, but I saw this Craftsman at Lowes for 199 and figured that was a good compromise. The compromise being that it's cheep. Considering my Poulan Farm Hand lasted over 20 years, and I've never heard anyone say anything good about a Poulan, I should get at least a couple years out of this saw. We'll see.

Okay time for bed. I didn't do overtime today because I didn't set my alarm and woke up after 230. I'll go in tomorrow because the overtime thing is going to start withering away. Might as well ride it as long as I can. Got a visitation to go to tomorrow evening. Gotta get the sleep in. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike I just looked up that chainsaw. It's received good reviews, has some nice features, good price and comes w/ a carrying case. I think you scored a good deal.

I trimmed out one large 65' Southern Scrub Oak, took down a Chaucer Magnolia which was nearly beaten to death (hanging on by a thread) by Florence last year, managed to get nearly 3/4 of the 50' Ash tree taken down and the Haulotte 55' boom lift went South on me on Sunday. I ended up spending the remainder of the day hauling out the limbs, branches, cut-up logs, raking, stacking, etc. Called the rental company 1st thing yesterday morning (7:00am) & they were at my house by 7:15am to tow the lift back to their shop. I had a massage therapy appointment @ 9:00am, played golf @ 11:00am and stopped by the rental company on my way home. Turns out the hydraulic pump went out. They have about 7 or 8 of these boom lifts and since this last hurricane (Dorian) they've kept them rented out on a steady basis. Anyways, these people are excellent to work with. They should be able to have me a lift this Thursday to finish my job. So, today it's more hauling out (limbs, branches, etc.) activities getting the landscape back to some normalcy. Biennial ophthalmologist appointment today @ 3:00pm.

Man, this '71 CS needs the suspension replaced big time. Runs fantastic w/ the work I've put into it, but the suspension is 'shot'. That's my winter project - complete suspension R&R. It sure is nice riding in a classic convertible in this weather though - pretty sweet.
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:01 AM

Norm, I need sum more strokes
Old September 24th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Norm, you're a energetic guy. Stopped out to the cemetery today to put flowers on the grave site as it was my mom's birthday. The WWII marker that I put out there on Memorial day is gone, either stolen (not uncommon there) or run over by the greens crew. On my way back, I came upon a '65 or '66 98 convertible, triple black with what looked like cragers. It was hard to tell with the wheels spinning around. Not a perfect car, but not too shabby looking either. There are now two of them in my area. The other one is nicer, and has a white interior.
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Running On Empty

Parking to get my double-dip mint chocolate chip ice cream cone atThe General Store yesterday I parked next to a fair>good 1971 White Ford Torino. I can’t recall the last time I saw a Torino (named after the Italian Motor City of Turin).
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Running On Empty

Match play (net) Member Championship this weekend.
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, you're a energetic guy.

Wears out my sorry a$$ jes reading all he's doing
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Wears out my sorry a$$ jes reading all he's doing
Me too!
Old September 24th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Running On Empty

Our teeny weeny town hired out a debris removal contractor (Altondra?) (again) to remove the bulk of debris (fallen limbs, trees, branches, etc.). They have those enormous trucks with the attached grappling lift/boom jaws. I got about 85% of my stuff out to the road before they came by about one hour ago. I’ll cut the remaining stuff into smaller pieces for the Town to pick up. Some of my neighbors and others are true Neanderthals. They don’t pick up any of their $hit and most
ends up blowing around my place and others who eventually pick it up. Some people are a waste of assembled molecules.
Old September 24th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Finished early, ate pizza, got out early. It's beautiful and hot. The pizza must have had trip-toe-fan (no idea how to spell that) in it because I can hardly keep my eyes open. Might sit down and let myself doze a little before I head out to that visitation.

So Norm the contracted trash company was just making one round of the neighborhood, and after that you're on your own? Hope they gave good notice. Though like you said some of the people won't do anything anyways.

Well okay gonna split. Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Running On Empty

Mike I have no idea what the Powers That Be @ Town Hall have arranged for the debris removal contractor - one pass, two passes, or what? Our Town normally picks up yard debris at my place every Tuesday. I finished cutting up my remaining stuff into smaller pieces and it's all out @ curbside now.
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Is this section closed today? It's beautiful here, must be everywhere.

Non-descript day at work. Overtime the last two mornings and tomorrow. No word on Saturday.

Had a question for you guys but now it's escaped me. It will come back.

Gonna hit the sack. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

40/42

Picked-up another 55' articulating boom lift today. Have it positioned and ready to finish up that 50' Ash tree tomorrow. Weather here - OUTSTANDING.
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:52 AM

Something Hic upped on my puter yesterday

CO had the nerve to make me sign in
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Something Hic upped on my puter yesterday

CO had the nerve to make me sign in
The Horror....The Horror (Marlon Brando - Apocalypse Now)
Old September 26th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Finished up a little early, went to the chiropractor. It's very nice out.

So I took the Corvair to run a couple errands yesterday and filled it up with gas. This morning at 330 when I went to work saw a huge puddle of gas under the car. All I could do is throw some oil dry under the car and hope it didn't blow up in the hot sun today. After work I ran it up on ramps and it didn't seem to be leaking. Back on the ground for two hours and no leak. Perplexing. I did see that the rubber boot that connects the fill tube to the tank is dry, so that will be a fun job taking half the car apart to replace that.

Norm I used to use those big lifts at work, getting up on the tops of the planes. Ours were JLG's. Big industrial things. I was scared to death of them. I'd get all the way up to the top of the vertical stab and the wind would come up and that thing would start swaying. I'd come back down. Sometimes the height wouldn't bother me, other times I felt like screaming. Tight spaces are the same way, and I never know how it will affect me until I'm there. We had one JLG that you'd let go of the stick and it would still move another foot. Dangerous. No thanks.
In the office today I had the Alexa play reggae. When I was leaving the reception woman said, it must be reggae hour. I almost laughed. She still has no idea it's me telling the thing to change stations. She thinks it's doing it at random. I'm running out of music types so I think I'll have it start making random noises.

Okay bed time. Hope everyone is planning for a good weekend.
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Ash tree is completely felled & all the big limbs/branches hauled out to the road. I busted up my left forearm - 1/2" deep cut ~4" long cross-ways - bled out like a gutted pig. Did not hit an artery or nerve. A huge piece of trunk I was cutting into fell awkwardly finishing the cut. The sharp edge of the piece coupled with its weight dug right into my forearm. After ten minutes of washing it up with w/ water then alcohol (ouch) I slapped on a liberal coat of 3-way antibacterial ointment, laid out a large gnarly piece of cotton gauze and wrapped it w/ some gorilla tape. It bled the rest of the day, changed the dressing once, still bleeding, washed it out again, more antibacterial ointment & I don't think it's going to be too bad. I have four LARGE pieces of trunk to cut up & the remaining stump is about three feet tall. The trunk is about 4' diameter - my chainsaw bar is only 24" so there still remains some hefty cutting. Hopefully I'll get it knocked out after golf tomorrow but I may hold off for the weekend. Tee-time @ 8:36am & massage therapist @ 3:00pm.

Mike - WTH are you doing at the top of the vertical stabilizer? The wheels & tires are on the ground attached to the landing gear. I've been on plenty of aircraft (looking out the window as a passenger) watching them de-ice the aircraft before take-off freezing their butts off. That doesn't look like a fun job in the freezing cold.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 26th, 2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old September 27th, 2019, 03:05 AM

Computer on the fritz
Old September 27th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Running On Empty

James - What's it doing or not doing? Issue?
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Mike, I filled up my old F100 once and it overflowed out the fill tube. It was early spring and the gas in the ground was cool and it expanded once it got in the 80 degree tank. I also had that happen on a 80 98, it was a converted Diesel with a gas engine but still used the diesel tank,etc. I had back in the day. So maybe you just overfilled it?
Norm, sorry to hear you got hurt, that sucks... I think there's not much more hazardous than cutting trees that have semi fallen.
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Norm, my key board went TU
Old September 27th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Tedious day at work. I went in early and signed off one wheel. Four hours later, I signed off another wheel. Seems the wall guy wasn't about to give me any wheels, so I said fine, I'm getting paid anyway. No one was in a hurry to do work, breaks were stretched out, we finished a reduced number at 130. Good for during the week, pitiful for a Friday. Well, I'm done with the place for the weekend.

Norm sounds like you needed stitches in your arm. I've had challenges cutting down trees as well, and yes have drawn blood. Hope it doesn't keep you down. I'd cut my legs off if I had a 24" bar. I bet you can't use anything smaller, though. If I use anything less than 20 it feels like a toy.

Greg I did indeed overfill the tank. It wasn't on purpose, the thing clicked off and it backed up. What little came out went out the overflow tube. That whole area was dry when I looked. The problem is 54 year old rubber parts that have finally decided to fail.

Jamesbo get one of those ergonomic keyboards where your hands are almost at 90* to each other. Supposed to feel great and work really well. Uh huh.

Okay gonna do some exciting stuff. Not sure what, but hey I can stay up late and sleep in twice! See you guys later.
Old September 27th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Running On Empty

The wound required no stitches - gauze, antibacterial & gorilla tape. Didn't effect my golf game today.

42/39

Club championship (match play net) this weekend. My tee time tomorrow 11:12am.
Old September 28th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I almost felt retired this morning, didn't get up until almost 8. Just got back from the Awful house. Big car show today in Senoia. They block off the whole downtown. Hundreds of cars, it's a good time.

Norm I used to do line work before I was in the shop. We'd often have to get up on top of the tail and take that cap off, or lube the rudder hinges, or whatever. I think it's about 50 to the top of the rudder and that's damn high when it's raining, or the wind is blowing, or someone else is in the bucket with you and they are jerky with their operation of it. Don't miss doing that.

Gonna change oil in the Aura this morning then hit the car show. It's beautiful out. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 28th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Just a warning on retirement. Since I retired, I get up almost daily between 5:00AM & 5:30AM.
Old September 28th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Always room for one more

As I expected, the car show was a very good time. I got there about 230, stayed a couple hours, saw everything a couple times. Boy was it hot. A couple of Oldsmobiles; a 65 Ninety Eight convertible, a 67 4 door that was dug out of the junkyard and put back to running, and my favorite a 70 Pace Car with every conceivable option on it. The green fake 70 W30 wasn't there this year.

And before I left for the show I did get the oil changed in the Aura. Pretty straight forward, oil plug in the back of the pan, oil filter up front and unobstructed. Whenever my Mom would have the oil changed, the tire shop where she took it would use any old oil they had. I used Mobil 1. We'll see if it makes any difference. The car only has 55000 miles. We'll see.

Got a pretty good lightning show as it was getting dark, and then a few minutes of steady rain. It's stopped already. We haven't had rain for weeks.

Norm I usually get woke up around 5 or 530, but after we go out then I go back to sleep for a little while. I suspect retirement wouldn't be any different. Got awhile before I can find that out.

Okay gonna clean up in the kitchen a little bit then hit the sack. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Always room for one more

Well, okay then...
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Running On Empty

Fine....
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Always room for one more

Norm how's the arm?
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Actually pretty decent Mike - thanks for asking. Keeping it tightly wrapped, moist with plenty of antibacterial is the key ingredient changing the dressing several times/day. Healing quite nicely. Just beginning to start itching like crazy though.

It is stupid hot and humid for the end of September, IMO.
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Always room for one more

That's great, Norm. Your golf game might suffer if you had to cut it off.

Now this is more than coincidental. At the grocery store today, for the first time in months I picked up a box of Cap'n Crunch. Didn't buy it because it has BHT in it. So what do I see as soon as I turn on CO? An ad for Cap'n Crunch. I didn't look it up on the internet, I didn't take a picture of it with my phone, but here it is. When the cereal box can read your mind and then transmit the information to the advertisers, Big Brother is certainly in his finest hour.

It is hot here but not stupidly so. I hope it lasts until spring.

Gotta go to bed soon. Boy I could get used to having two days off in a row. See ya's.
Old September 30th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Well, I got the frozen key board up and running jes in time ta tell ya what ya already knew

It's Monday and time ta go smack whitey

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:43 AM

Jamesbo, if you have a wireless mouse, you may need to replace the batteries.
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jamesbo, if you have a wireless mouse, you may need to replace the batteries.

My key board locked up, the mouse was fine

44/46
Old September 30th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad day at work. Went in one hour early because I just wasn't feeling it. Beautiful out, and a record temperature today.

Summit tonight. Gonna make an evening of it. Need to mail some bills on the way, stop by Harbor Freight, then go to the cruise in and meet a guy who's selling me 57 Chevy parts for cheep. I'll probably have to stay late so I can follow him home. Eh, he's on the way home for me anyway, it won't be bad. Nice fellow. His car is beautiful.

Yes I still pay most of my bills by check and send them through the mail. I'll probably always do that. What cracks me up is some of these places that beg and plead with you to pay online, then hit you with a "convenience fee." I guess that's why they're begging, to get more of your money.

Okay gonna split and do a few things then hit the road. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 30th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

40/41