The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Norm, No big loss, jes another artificial reef
Old September 10th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The day started out poorly. Forgot my lunch sitting on the counter. I don't know how I did that, mind just somewhere else I guess. So no cold water, no snacks, oh and no overtime as I didn't get to sleep until well after 10. My wall guy is slow as molasses. And the rest of the typical. But I went to an excellent place for lunch and things started looking up.

I agree not a big loss on those cars. Great idea, though. Build them here and ship them out.

Yet another hot afternoon. Don't have anything planned. The parts for the Corvair are in, but I don't have anyone to go with me over there. And the trailer doesn't have any lights. Such a conundrum.

Summit was a bust last night. Wasn't 50 cars. Eh, still good to get out.

Okay gonna find something to do. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:16 PM

I have a Hyundai because I got sick of the domestic crap. It is a wonder how a ship that new, could capsize so easily. Either the load shifted, or they sprung a leak.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:12 AM
Running On Empty

That's an enormous (656') brand new vessel & the software should have been able to detect issues long before they occurred "if" the crew was monitoring the readouts and the software was working properly. I suspect either one or both or several of the cargo doors (this is a new style "Ro Ro" ship where vehicles are on-loaded/off-loaded by being driven onto the ship [as opposed to vehicle cargo containers]) were not sealed & allowed for water intrusion. If water was entering the ship unknowingly, you'd think the ballast software would have detected a listing condition of the laden burdened vessel. Very bizarre. If they found out too late, or the water intrusion was occurring faster than the ship's water ballast could manage to stabilize the vessel, this might be why it sank so fast?
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Running On Empty

34/38
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Wow, Nice round Norm
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks James.
7 birdies = 4 front/3 back and I had a triple bogie on #17.
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM

I can relate more to the triple than the 7 birdies

Wait, If ya hadn't flubbed the dubb on 17 ya woulda shot 69 that's tour golf. Ya ever considered Q school
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Ya ever considered Q school
LMAO
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Seemed like a long day. I have to keep telling myself not to let the asshats get to me. They all seemed more rowdy than usual. How cool they are to try to make someone twice their age look stupid. The only ones looking stupid...

Took the Corvair over to the trim shop after work. He said it would probably be next week before it's done, that's fine with me. I saw the new top it looks exactly like an original. I tell you what I need to do something about that black interior. I got in it to move it this afternoon, I'm glad I was wearing pants because every surface in there was sizzling. I could barely sit down as it was.

I'm tired tonight. It seems like it should be Friday already. No mention of working Saturday yet. Right about now I could take it or leave it.

Well have a good evening everyone. I'm gonna go relax.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Running On Empty

Mike -

(1) Print this image (preferably in color - it shows up best)
(2) Type (or write) the name of your favorite asshat on the line (below the statement: Awarded To:)
(3) Drop it on the floor (anywhere), or in the work restroom, lunch room, near the coffee machine area, etc. - somewhere where no one would suspect you - just leave it laying around - someone will surely find it & the fun will soon commence (I'm certain)
(4) Don't stop with just one. Perform steps 1 through 3 (above) each week until you have exhausted all the names of known asshats at your work site.

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Still hot and dry

They hay should be ready to fluff, rake into wind rows and bale today

Me, I need ta go practice so Norm won't have ta give me 20 strokes

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:02 AM

Hi guys, Mike, I'd like to see a pic of that Corvair, I always liked 'em, especially a 'vert. Oh yeah, black vinyl is hot for sure... Well, not much new here, Been a month since I broke collar bone- getting much better, sposta be 6 weeks to heal, only 2 weeks more...
Boy, it seems like only 4 of us on this thread now, I hope the others come back, I'm hoping they will be back in the cooler weather...
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Running On Empty

Hot & humid (87%) here. Still in hurricane recovery mode. Uninstalled last of the shutters this morning. Have them baking in the sun to dry out all day flipping each over 10-12 times throughout the day. Will head onto the roof this afternoon after it drys off then reattach about 15 shingle tabs which were blown off. Roofing cement holds those suckers much better than the glue strips they attach with anyways. Like piecing a puzzle back together aligning which tab goes where though - no biggie.
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Greg, did you get any of the bad weather that hit G.R.? I will be heading to the Purestock event on Saturday over in Stanton. Weather looks to be good for racin'. Mid 70's & low humidity.
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM

https://www.11alive.com/article/tech...QIE9ML-SdmZZZw

Here ya go Norm
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM

No, no really bad weather here, Dan. Just lots of rain last couple days. I can't go to Stanton this weekend, would have liked to. Post up some pics if you can.
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Better day at work. Things went smoothly and there was little drama. Norm I love that award, I'm gonna print off a few.

Beautiful and hot here. Chiro day today. I've been riding around in the car with all the windows down. Kind of makes it feel like a convertible. Kind of.

Still no word of working Saturday. It might be nice to have a whole day off, one without any work at all. I consider Sunday a work day because even though I can sleep in and I'm not at work, I have to go to bed early so I can get up for work Monday.

Okay here's a question that I think can get answered here. Of course it will be long and drawn out. What if I poured a slab of concrete to build a building on, and then on top of the slab ran electrical and plumbing and all that, then covered it up with more concrete, would that cause me problems down the road?

Well off I go. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks for the link, James. I'll be curious to know what the final determination of cause will be.
Greg, make certain you don't overdo it before the end of the next two weeks.
Mike, I'm looking forward to your daily asshattery review.
Dan, I'd love to have just one day of '70s & low humidity - that sounds delightful.
I think I'll head over to The NOAA NHC Hurricane Center to see "..where is the next one coming from..."

Old September 12th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
What if I poured a slab of concrete to build a building on, and then on top of the slab ran electrical and plumbing and all that, then covered it up with more concrete, would that cause me problems down the road?
You'd be far better off not to do it that way; but, it is possible. You'd be far better off setting your electrical conduit & plumbing pipework into the foundation slab. Much of this does depends on the (1) type of soil, (2) depth of the concrete slab(s), (3) materials used for the slab (aggregate, sand, limestone mix, etc.).

You'll certainly get moisture between the two slabs of concrete over time & this will lead to erosion between the two surfaces where the moisture intrudes. My 30'W x 40'L concrete slab is a mono slab 4" deep concrete w/ 10" deep perimeter w/ 8" aggregate underneath - $6500 poured by a contracting crew. That includes the rebar, the four expansion cuts, setting the building girder post(s) bolts in the wet concrete & a 4'L x 30'W drive-on ramp at the building entrance.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 12th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:08 PM

Mike, I agree with Norm but I would jes lay large PVC [or conduit[ in the slab and run everything into the large pipes. I'd also leave a few extra strings in the pipes in case later you wanted to pull something else
water vibrates when it's turned on and off and that's not good when the pipes are fixed in concrete

You're gonna need rebar and welded wire tied together and expansion joints [depending on the size. ]

yes I do have a wire tier tool you are welcome to and no I won't help you pour concrete [But I'll watch]

At the lake I have a side corner of the garage with a wooden floor where all the "Stuff" is run. I can unscrew a few pieces of plywood and get to everything
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Figure out 'what' your final plan is.
(1) Are you putting in a shower? A toilet? A utility sink?
(2) Determine where your current sewage and water lines are located.
(3) Are you going to bury your electrical to the new building or are you feeding the electrical to the new building via overhead wires?

You know in both cases (above) you can, in fact, run both electrical & plumbing w/o burying any of it in the concrete slab. If you want to throw up the building and need a concrete slab to do so (say, before winter arrives or something), just get the slab poured and when it comes time to install electrical & plumbing just run both into the building w/o any electrical conduit or plumbing pipe buried in the concrete slab - people and businesses do this all of the time. The conduit and piping will be exposed, but you can run these anywhere. Unless you're going for some ultra clean modern installation you can always run this stuff on top of the concrete slab. Just something to consider. And, I'd leave them exposed as opposed to pouring more concrete on top of them to hide them - that would be a total waste honestly.
Old September 12th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

I'm thinking of a big metal farm building, like 80x100, give or take. I know I'll want to do some walling off of some areas but I don't know just where yet, and I'll most likely have the slab poured and then put the building up later. I could do a corner like Jamesbo's and then have everything run through the walls. Electricity will probably come off a pole, the water meter will be at the street so it will be underground, and sewer I have no idea. I could run a big pipe down the hill and let it just empty out into the woods. Hey no neighbors to complain...

I can almost envision me wanting two different levels on the slab inside the building, and that's what got me thinking about pouring the extra concrete. Put everything in when I know where it's going and then pour over it, thus giving me the extra height. It would be about 6".

All just thinking right now, but I want to get everything all (over-) thought out so when the time comes I know where to start.
Old September 12th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Running On Empty

Shameless Season 9 Netflix released today.
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Got 2 familes coming tomorrow so can't head norte until the afternon

Soooooooooo, I'm gonna go smack whitey before the rain comes next week

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 13th, 2019, 09:19 AM

43 back nine too hot to stay out in it. Decide to have a Colorado Kool aide
Old September 13th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That's an enormous (656') brand new vessel & the software should have been able to detect issues long before they occurred "if" the crew was monitoring the readouts and the software was working properly. I suspect either one or both or several of the cargo doors (this is a new style "Ro Ro" ship where vehicles are on-loaded/off-loaded by being driven onto the ship [as opposed to vehicle cargo containers]) were not sealed & allowed for water intrusion. If water was entering the ship unknowingly, you'd think the ballast software would have detected a listing condition of the laden burdened vessel. Very bizarre. If they found out too late, or the water intrusion was occurring faster than the ship's water ballast could manage to stabilize the vessel, this might be why it sank so fast?
Literally LMAO, Ro-Ro a new type of vessel? Were not living in a stone-age..
Old September 13th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Inline
Literally LMAO, Ro-Ro a new type of vessel? Were not living in a stone-age..
I know - such a crazy term! Thankfully it's not Row-Row.

What are Ro-Ro Ships?

Old September 13th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

42/42

Sometimes I feel like a ping-pong ball - up & down & up & down & up & down. The hallmark of a true "AMATEUR".
Old September 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got out a whopping one hour early today. And that's because the lead lowered the number of wheels we needed. The head clown of course was taking credit for us leaving early, because our lead wasn't there and he was the surrogate. When he starts talking I either turn my back to him or I just leave. Norm I tried to print some asshat awards but every time someone would walk behind me. I'll get to it, I can't wait for how much fun this will be.

Yet another beautiful and hot day. I think since we're not working tomorrow, and I get to stay up late, I'm gonna wash the car after 4. Then I think Tiger and I will take in the Awful house. Got all evening to figure out what to do tomorrow.

This is for Jamesbo and his Kool Aid

Old September 13th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Norm, So ya won't feel so bad, even Tiger can [occasionally] hit a worm burner

Old September 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

James, that was great. I feel human! Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Oh no, not again...

That looked like my round on Wednesday. Idiot that I am I wore an old pair of golf shoes, they fit 10 years ago when I bought them, and by the 6th hole my game fell apart because my feet were killing me. I still can't walk, and the shoes ended up where they should have years ago; - in a landfill.
Old September 14th, 2019, 05:34 AM

Well those 2 famines coming dis mawn'in suddenly turned into 3 when i take care of them, I'm gonna beat feet norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends

Marx, What size do you wear? I've got plenty of extras
Old September 14th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

This is the first Saturday I've had to myself in I don't know how long. Nice out, too. A little overcast, coolish, might do some yard work. Didn't get the car washed yesterday. Just as I was getting the stuff together, it started spitting rain. Not heavy, but big drops. So that was that. But we did go to the Awful house. In fact I just got back from there now.

Got a couple chores to do in the house then I'm headed outside. I'm going to enjoy this day, regardless of what I do. Or don't. Have a good one all.
Old September 15th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Always room for one more

And good morning again.

Beautiful out and not quite so hot. Do I dare think summer has broken? I know we're still going to get high temps but this is surely a treat.

Went to view the house next door to my shop. The lady that lived there died in the spring and the family has finally gotten it ready to sell. It's a lot of money and I'd say my chances are 50/50 for qualifying for it. But nothing ventured... It's a beautiful house and right next door to property I already own. How convenient.

No plans for the day, except later on it's the weekly trip to Walmart and then to bed early for work in the morning.

Last night Tiger wasn't feeling well and wanted to go outside every two hours like clockwork. He seemed better this morning. I decided to forego the Awful house before my appointment so I could sleep in a little. So I went there afterwards.

Okay gotta do figure out what to do. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 15th, 2019, 12:05 PM

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/09/13...history-video/

I don't need to travel fer to play bad golf
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

42/43

Yesterday & today I played the Blue Tees. Normally I play the white tees. I began playing the white tees 23 months ago. Tee boxes @ my course are:

Red
Gold
White
Blue
Green
Black
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Marc - I feel your pain. I bought (on-line) a new pair of Skechers Men's GO GOLF Pro V.4 Honors Golf Shoes for $79.00. There was not only a sale, but I received an additional 10% ($20) off and free shipping - bringing the total to $85.39.

REGULAR PRICE: $139.99

I started wearing them and noticed the ***** of my feet were hurting but I thought they needed more breaking in. After two weeks (7-8 rounds of golf) they were getting worse, but I tried a couple more times then the hurricane (Dorian) made landfall. I played in them again and my right foot was absolutely killing me at the ***** of my foot - same on the left foot but not quite as bad. I bought some new sport insoles and put them in on Friday (last) - they seemed to help. Yesterday my feet were miserable again. Today, I had to remove the shoe from my right foot the pain was unbearable. I took them back to Dick's today & they gave me a complete refund plus a 20% off coupon good on any purchase over $50 (any time). Not only were these the worst golf shoes I've ever owned, I believe they were the worst shoes I have even purchases in my entire life.

I bought a new pair of Nike. I don't know what was up with the shoes. The sales clerk listed them as manufacture's defect.

James - Glad I didn't take your advice and buy two of them.
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:57 PM

I usually buy Rockports for my shoe choice, but a few years ago I replaced a worn casual pair, with a pair of Skechers of the same style. Not even close. last pair of Skcechers that I will own. Pics of a few of the cars at Purestock, plus a paperweight from my buddy. Even though I'm not a Mopar guy, it's still cool. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DrZNP6MAk4MWUw5Q6