The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2019, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

37/42
Old September 1st, 2019, 05:20 AM

Mike, So Sorry, I'm slap out of Jack Hammers. I'll keep an eye out for ya

Back for a funeral this afternoon
Old September 1st, 2019, 10:35 AM
Running On Empty

Generator started, ran, filled w/ fuel. Thirty gallons (6 x 5 gals each) fresh fuel obtained from service station. F250 diesel fueled. Secured several cases of bottled water. Lots of folks securing gas, water & groceries.
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Haven't done squat since I've been here. Mom didn't want me to paint doors yesterday because it looked like rain. Of course it didn't rain. Today I went to Lowes and got lumber for the shed base. That's what I'm going to do this afternoon.

Bottled water is gone off the shelfs even way over here. Oddly enough no one wants to buy gallons of water. Just the bottles. Looks like the Bahamas are going to become the new Puerto Rico.

Norm be careful. Don't know where you are in regards to ground zero, but I don't think you're in for the glee club.

Okay gonna get something done, I didn't drive the black truck here for nothing. Though it got surprisingly good gas mileage on the trip down. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 1st, 2019, 01:18 PM

Norm jes in case ya forgot
Old September 1st, 2019, 02:10 PM
Running On Empty

Good stuff right there James.
Old September 1st, 2019, 07:00 PM

A classic indeed.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 07:23 AM

Mow grass day, The novelty is beginning to wear off

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:21 AM
Running On Empty

39/42

Last trip to grocery store before Dorian.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:26 AM

Norm Keep you head down [ not golfing], during the storm
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:32 AM
Running On Empty

James- I'd actually like to stick my head in the sand. It appears the latest map prediction has it wavering off-shore (Eastward) slightly - by perhaps 20-30 miles Eastward from it's previous track. That places it currently off-shore ~30-40 miles - that isn't much, but we'll take whatever we can get.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:38 AM

It's kinda like being stalked by a turtle
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good first day back at work. Good ride home yesterday. Didn't get near what I wanted to get done at my Mom's but that somehow doesn't surprise me.

Beautiful here. Hot. Gonna be this way all week. Was kinda hoping it would rain this weekend so I could not worry about outside stuff, hey, when do I ever want rain? Turns out we're working this weekend anyway.

Got a couple things I need to do. I best get to it, as bed time is less than three hours away. Sheesh. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:19 PM
Running On Empty

I should have some extra rain to spare I can share w/ you Mike. Current forecast calling for 10"-15" Thursday.
Old September 4th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Still mowing and mowing

I'm ignoring my Honey do list
Will report back

Old September 4th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow day at work. My wall guy decided he didn't want to work with me, so he arbitrarily went to work someplace else. He has in the past declared "he damn shore don't like me" so I just sat and read Wikipedia for two hours. I swear if some of these people showed any kind of professionalism I think I'd do a back flip.

More hot and sunny. Norm I'll let you know about the rain. Gonna go out and mow. Or Jamesbo if you want to come down and mow for me, since you have all this experience.

Working Saturday but not Sunday. I'm surprised because the summer schedule is over. Hey I'll take it. Got some big plans looming.

Okay out I go. Tiger will be out helping me until I get too annoyed at him barking at the mower and biting the wheels.
Old September 5th, 2019, 03:24 AM

Sum of you may remember, My bride is the baby of 9. With kids [nieces , nephews cousin etc] the klan is + 40. When they get in a e mail argument [which sum how I'm on the list] It's like a bunch of gut shot grizzles at each other

I think I may block the whole crowd jes to avoid the drama

May go smack whitey

Old September 5th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Okay day at work. We finished up a little early, I had my good guy back, things went smooth. Hopefully tomorrow will be smooth and we get out at a good time.

Well the storm is about to Norm's house. Hope he's safe.

Mowed yesterday and like a dumbass put known-bad fuel into my lawnmower and it took quite awhile for it to burn out. The rest of that batch is going into the Deuce.

Chiro day today. On the way home I need to stop by the rent-all place and see about reserving a Gravely-type machine for the weekend. Really want to mow over at the shop.

Okay waiting for a guy to call about a truck that needs a transmission. I'm not going to tell him my plan is to take the truck all apart.
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Mike, I've got a bushhog behind a Massey Ferguson that fits perfectly on my old trailer you got but ya need to take the lift off

34 on 5 holes until I lost my phone and panicked
Old September 5th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Mike- Thanks. All boarded up. 12 hours to install all my shutters. Outer bands are just now getting here. Will be 110 mph sideways rain nonstop for 12 hours. I’m going to sleep.

James- Where’s My Phone app. 34 in 5 holes? You find every OOB and water hazard?

The eye of Dorian should be above my house ~2:00 AM tonight.

Enjoy the bright sunshine, warm air, ocean and white sandy beaches they said.

That’s what the brochure said!

Old September 5th, 2019, 09:34 PM

Norm, I should have offered to take care of the Cutlass for awhile. You would've gotten it back eventually. Maybe Seriously, I hope that you are spared any of the severe stuff.
Old September 6th, 2019, 01:57 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks. The eye made landfall & as predicted it is now directly overhead. The Southside of the eye wall will be coming about in a couple hours then the final maximum winds in about 5-6 hours. Power has gone out 7-8 times, right now we’re good. Large lake has developed in the back of the property.
Old September 6th, 2019, 03:36 AM

Nprm glad you are Ok

Ya may miss a rew days on the links

Sorry I missspoke 4+4+3+6+4= 21

Headed norte

Old September 6th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I've decided I work with dumb people. The lead that all the clowns hate has been off, and they've been quite vocal about how much better we do when he's not there. They think that will get management to thinking and boot that guy out. Today would have been the opportune time to put the crown that plan, since it's Friday, and finish up extra early and get out early. Nope. We didn't leave until 130. Boy they really showed the manager!

Glad you're okay Norm, that couldn't have been fun. Maybe the lake will stick around and you will have your own private waterfront.

Don't know what to do today. Got all the mowing done, nothing pressing at the shop, it's nice and hot out I should go out and do something.

Okay see ya.
Old September 6th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Running On Empty

Despite numerous short-lived power outages throughout the night, power to my place is on - a huge plus. Not sure how we managed to dodge the bullet as ~200K around us are w/o power. Uprooted one old 50’ towering Ash tree which is about to topple over into my neighbors building. I hope it can manage several more days/weeks before I can get to it. Lost about 20 roofing shingle tabs, debris everywhere but the house is standing and no one injured. SOS, tons of recovery work working my A$$ off. Argh.
Old September 7th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good morning at work. We left around 10 so I had time for the Awful house and then went and picked up my bushhog. It isn't as big as I thought it would be but it's better than a hand-held sickle. Might be fun mowing all that mess, hope the rabbits see it coming and take a hike.

Norm good luck with the clean up. If you have things you can't tackle yourself give me a shout and I'll take a couple days off work and run up there. I'm afraid if a hurricane came to my yard it wouldn't look any different when it left.

Fedex just dropped a package at my door, and of course was gone by the time I got there. I wasn't expecting anything, and sure enough, it's the right numbers but wrong street. It's from Rock Auto, I wonder if I should keep it and let the real owner bitch at them. Nah, I'll drop it at the right place on the way to the shop. I routinely get mail for the next street over, I just take it up to them. One time the guy said wow thanks, these are our cruise tickets. I said if I'd have known that I'd have kept them! He laughed, he probably thought I was serious.

Okay good afternoon to you all. It's sunny but coolish here, should be a good day for industrial mowing.
Old September 7th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What an awesome offer - very kind of you, indeed. The debris has all been removed, including helping my aged 80s/90s years of age neighbors. I have 7 of 26 shutters removed and baking in the sun to dry out. I have to flip them several times/day to stop from warping. I have beams of sunlight appearing in my house again!
Old September 8th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out and not quite as hot as I would think. The mowing went well, sort of, and it is now done. I'm glad I rented that machine but think I might take a day off work and only have it for one day next time.

Yesterday I started mowing and then got the chain saw out and was cutting down stuff and then mowing. That went too slow, so I just started mowing wherever I could, got a lot done actually. Today I sharpened the chain on the saw and got a couple things cut down and the muffler blew off the front of the motor! I retrieved the muffler and it was rusted and bent up. The brackets holding it to the motor were rusted, so that was it for the day. Couldn't really do any more mowing so I put the mower back in the dogmobile and cleaned up. That saw is well over 20 years old, and is really worn out. So I'm gonna get a new one and this one might become art.

The place looks better but I didn't do one thing that I was intending. I wanted to move cars around but all the mowing I did was behind stuff that didn't get cut down so I can't move any of the cars. When I get a new saw I'll cut more stuff down and not worry about the mowing.

Boy was I sore last night. That mower is a beast. Slept in this morning, went to Walmart, then went to the shop. Don't feel quite as beat up as yesterday. It will be early to bed for sure for work in the morning.

Well I hope the week starts out well for everyone. Have a good evening.
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So I'm gonna get a new one and this one might become art.
Mike - You going to start carving bears, eagles, opossums, beavers, lions, tigers and stuff from trees - that type of art?
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Running On Empty

I am so hungry I could eat the North end of a Southbound mule. Eating at a new local Mexican restaurant. Their homemade picante sauce for corn chips is absolutely delicious. Shrimp Mezcal-Chipotle tacos w/ fresh black beans and rice. Great stuff.
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:29 AM

Tis Monday so [while Norm plays pick up sticks] I'm gonna go smack whitey

Old September 9th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Running On Empty

Hoping to get 18 in @ 11:00am.

Hit 'em well, James.
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:26 PM

45/44

Couldn't putt worth a hoot

Not a breeze in the air and hot as a 2 dollar pistol
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Running On Empty

Absolutely worthless ball striking today.

45/40

95*F, 92% humidity. I always walk 18. Today I walked the front and rode the back. Oppressive heat.
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good first day back. Although, we had a "Town Hall" meeting this morning. They are boring and inane and the only thing I can figure is it makes the mucky mucks feel better about "connecting with the people." Big waste of time, the hour and a half could have been conveyed in an email.

Norm I'm not making art the saw itself will become art. That means it will sit around collecting dust until I can pawn it off on someone else.

Summit cruise in tonight. It's still pretty hot so there probably won't be a big turnout. But it's a show nonetheless so I'll go, and maybe stop at the [cheeper] auto parts store and get a steering wheel puller. I need to get the wheel off the station wagon so I can undo the ignition cylinder and get it out of park. The key is so worn it no longer works.

Got that mower returned. Glad to get it out of the car. I was just glad it didn't explode sitting at the airport all day with a full tank of gas.

Okay see ya's.
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:03 AM

Since they're having a seniors tournament at the golf course this week and since it's dry as a popcorn phart, I'm gonna cut hay today

Old September 10th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Running On Empty

You own a rake & bailer?
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You own a rake & bailer?

Nope, I call a guy to come do it for me

The part of the cemetery that's no pinned [and mowed] we just cut hay to make it look nicer
Old September 10th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Woke up to thunder and rain, an inch and a half. Well, we went from a high of 69° yesterday, to the mid 80's for the next week and a half, along with high dew points. Fall is approaching though.
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Running On Empty

I'm curious if these were all (4000+) new vehicles, all used vehicles or a mixture of both? All crew members have been rescued. I have a feeling someone's A$$ is in deep DOO-DOO. This ship was built in 2017. The incident began to unfold Sunday evening just outside Savannah, GA @ The Port of Brunswick. New Hyundai vehicles I suspect, perhaps?

Golden Ray cargo ship: US Coastguard saves trapped crew members

EDIT UPDATE: I found some additional news sources who stated they were in fact new (4000+) Hyundai vehicles.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 10th, 2019 at 10:50 AM.