The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2019, 02:58 AM

sometimes, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but eventually I have an Ah ha moment

Norm, I completely misunderstood you cart going in the ditch story. I thought you forgot to apply the parking brake and were parked on a hill or something. I had this mental picture of you [big strong guy] wrestling a riding cart out of the ditch

Clear as mud now

Mike, Satsumas are kinda hard to find. You might have better luck down where your mom lives. Give them a try, It's kinda a cross between a tangerine and an orange I can't find good ones in the store only find them when sum kind soul that grows them gives me a few

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:18 AM
Running On Empty

James - Love the Golf Cart Fails - good stuff. It would have made sense for me to have said my golf push cart in that story of going in the WWD. I'm rolling in stitches right now thinking how you were imagining it was a riding cart. Funny $HIT!

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 15th, 2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

James - You ever get that sandwich from Primamti brothers?
Old November 15th, 2019, 06:29 AM

Mike, Did you get your vent to draft for your heat? Seems you had some trouble with it last year also?
-- I sucked up a stone in my snowblower yesterday and it bent the 2nd stage wheel. It took me forever to get it apart cuz I didn't have a manual and I couldn't find any you tube videos for it (surprised...) Anyway as usual took apart way too much but got to the wheel. Was going to order a new one for about $100. but decided to see if I could straighten it first. It came out pretty good so I put it back together. I figured it would vibrate some but it seems as good as new!! Love it. I guess it was worth freezing my patut working on it.
--Speaking of freezing it is COLD here. I am in the process of getting a used furnace installed in my new shop. I bought it off a friend who does HVAC for a living. He got it out of a mall or something that replaced and upgraded their HVAC. He takes these good ones that are good for garages and shops etc. The propane supplier is supposed to fill the tank Monday and we will be able to fire it up next week. That will be nice.
--Well it's Michigan deer firearm season starting today. My wife went down to her brother's place to go hunting with all the rest of the family. I met my soon to be wife in 1982 and she and her whole family deer hunts- A big deal! So I tried it in 1983 and can't do it. I've never went since. Deer hunting seems to be a love/hate thing around here. I think it is good. I just can't do it. I realize that nice clean package of hamburger is not how it came. I am not a "How could you shoot Bambi?" deer hunter hater. I just cant shoot one and gut it- too much of a wimp/softy. But I love to eat some venison!! OK enough Have a good one all...
Old November 15th, 2019, 06:35 AM

Greg, I used ta be a hunt'in and fish'in fool but I gave it up. The only thing I hunt anymore is for my lost golf *****
Old November 15th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Running On Empty

Based on folding size alone - I'm loving my addition to the golf family. Tons more room in the trunk than the Sun Mountain.
Supposed to rain the remainder of today & all this weekend. Hopefully, Monday I can take it for a spin.

Old November 15th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Surprise surprise. We finished up around 1030 this morning and the group commenced to cleaning. Some of the guys went home early, probably the ones who were actually doing something, and the rest of us around noon. So I went to the Awful house. Haven't been there on a Friday in ages.

Rain. The generic news page that pops up when I turn the computer on has said it would be sunny all week, including today and the weekend. It's obviously wrong today, hope it isn't wrong for tomorrow. Inside stuff today, as what I wanted to do would involve me playing in the mud. No thanks.

Norm there'd be tons more room in that trunk without the giant spare tire. But alas, where else you gonna put it? You could probably use that cart when grocery shopping, hang the bags off the edges instead of carrying them in.

Well, the afternoon is my oyster. Or some such thing. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Good idea. Maybe I install a luggage carrier on the deck of the trunk and secure the spare tire to it? I honestly think that would be pretty cool. The grocery cart is a novel idea, as well.
Greg - Nice job on the snowblower. Having that heater in the shop will create incentive to spend time out there for sure. I learned to hunt at a young age & I have hunted throughout my life as an adult. I have hunted less & less in the past 10 years but I still enjoy hunting (for food). I love venison. Historically my family has always made jerky with a 75:25 mix venison-pork. Yum yum....yum yum.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:27 PM

Years ago, A member of CO had a drop top A body with a chrome luggage rack on the trunk. He was debating ripping it off an repainting the trunk lid. I really liked the look, he may have taken a poll [I don;t remember]
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - You ever get that sandwich from Primamti brothers?
Nope, I'd love a sardine and cheese about now
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Running On Empty

This may be the thread you're referring to.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...cs-69-a-10979/
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:47 PM

Yep, Thanks Norm, Ya get to meet Red Goat aka Blue Vista in that thread. [Allan] was the funniest CO member ever. He lived near Our dear [departed friend] Sandy and he kept all of us in stitches . Pat [Citcap] was another dear [departed] friend Thanks for the memories
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Running On Empty

I read the entire thread before I posted it (here). They appear nice chaps....
Old November 15th, 2019, 01:14 PM

I read the entire thread before I posted it (here). They appear nice chaps....

The best
Old November 15th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Running On Empty

Think I'll do a little 'window shopping' over the next couple of hours, days, weeks.

Old November 15th, 2019, 01:49 PM

Norm, I like it better on an A body than the C 3 or 4 whatever
Old November 15th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

I wish the rear rail was also located along both sides. That isn't a show-stopper none-the-less. I will need to do some quality measurements and determine how well this one and others I find will fit. I'll need to determine if the trunk will support the rear tire when in the upright position or if I'll need to carry a broom-stick handle to hold open the trunk deck lid!
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

I really do like the OEM luggage rack, if it is in fact an OEM luggage rack. If it weren't so miserable outdoors, I might find the ambition to do measuring, but this weather is only good for ducks & geese.

Old November 15th, 2019, 02:38 PM

option # 3
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

lmfao
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I thought the convertible had a spot in the man cave garage? Why do you have to be outside?

Another thing you could do is mount it up front like a VW.

Greg I didn't get the stove worked out yet. I do remember having trouble with it last year, don't know why I thought it would work this year, but indeed it doesn't.

Jamesbo I looked that guy up with the luggage rack and he hasn't been on since 2011. Another one who just vanished.

Well after the laundry is done I'm hitting the sack. For all the fun I said I could have when it wasn't a school night, I go to bed pretty early, because I'm used to be tired, and mainly because I'm bored. I don't want to do any chores at night, and I don't have a TV that I can easily watch.

So have a good night everyone.
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - the CS is parked in the man-cave. I don't want to go outside - it's only suitable for ducks & geese at the moment. Besides, I saw my massage therapist today @ 1:30 PM and I need an excuse to recuperate. That's my story and I'm.....

You think maybe up front on the front grille & bumper? Now that's a though. A couple dozen bungee cords should hold it on.
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:48 PM

Leave the spare in the trunk, that's a lot of weight to put on the trunk lid, and I'm not sure if the tension rods can be adjusted enough to compensate for it. That much weight on a rack might cause deflection or indentation of the trunk lid if you hit a good sized bump. I like the Oldsmobile trunk mat, but I never got one for my '71 CS when I had it, because they tend to trap moisture under them, leading to rust. I would keep an eye on it, just to play it safe. Had a rack on my '76 Vette, didn't mind the looks, but I never used it. They rack wasn't a factory option as it wasn't listed on the option sheet for our "A" bodies. May have been a dealer aftermarket installation, and I'm sure that J.C. Whitney had them.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 15th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old November 16th, 2019, 03:24 AM

Norm, I jes had a flash of sanity

Why not leave the spare in the trunk and strap the golf cart to the luggage rack

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 16th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I'm tending to lean in your direction regarding the weight of the wheel+tire on the luggage rack & possible deformation of the trunk lid, etc. They were from my understanding dealer installed options through 1976 the became factory installed options in 1977. I read your comments regarding moisture under the rubber mat on another CO thread about a month ago. J.C.Whitney sparks so many memories of my H.S. years working on my car and our friend's cars. We'd take the Milwaukee Road (no longer in service) train from Elgin, IL > downtown Chicago early in the morning (fare = $3.00 RT) and spend the entire day in downtown Chicago having fun. The majority of our time was spending the better half of the latter part of the day in J.C.Whitney reviewing and purchasing items on our shopping lists so we weren't carry our stuff around all day and only had to walk to the train station or take the bus depending on how much and what we bought. We were like kids in a candy shop inside the J.C.W. building.

James - I thought of that as an option, as well.

I do like the overall idea of the luggage rack from a cosmetic perspective. I'm going to need to rethink my idea - maybe a pipe dream is all it is. Of course, once I get to purchasing all the items to rebuild my suspension the reality of cost may very well raise its little head.
Old November 16th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Saw a friend of mine and got his phone number. He said, you've been without a phone? I've been without heat! Hm, these days I don't know which is worse.

Well it's Saturday, I should work on the old Chev. Of course my mind is racing with 20 other things I should be doing. Got ahold of that guy with the dually again, sure would love to go have a look at it. Same problem as last week, no one to go with me. Ah well.

Nice out. Sun's out and blue sky. A bit cold, though. Well it beats rain.

Norm you need a tunnel going from the house to the shop. No rain will touch you.

Okay off I go. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old November 16th, 2019, 07:42 AM

Anyone wanta make sum BIG money and go to a wedding fer me?

Pretty inconsiderate to have a wedding on a beautiful Saturday If ya ax me
Old November 16th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Running On Empty

Open bar or cash bar?
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:03 AM
Running On Empty

I believe I found the resolution to my no headlights issue on my 2003 F-250 - a faulty MFS (Multi Function Switch) - sometimes referred to as the dimmer switch and/or turn signal switch. At any rate, I removed the steering column covers, key/lock cylinder, tilt handle, shift lever and the MFS handle. Performed several continuity/resistance tests (no power to the low beam fuses) on the wire looms, and noticed the MFS has two spades/pins which resemble fried green tomatoes (Spades 8 & 9) from overheating. Ordered up a new MFS yesterday should be here next Wednesday. I replaced this MFS @ ~100K miles and it's now ~175K miles. In researching the Part # I noticed Ford no longer supplies the original Part # and it appears my Part # has been superseded by an updated Part # which is also used on newer model Fords. So, I'm hoping the newer Part # is of better quality than the previous parts they were using - not holding my breath. I'm going to check the wiring loom connectors this morning for integrity to make sure something in and/or about the connectors aren't faulting. I slept in late - felt good - I see a trip to Dunk'n Donuts in the near future.
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:19 AM

Open bar or cash bar?

I have no idear,

One would think that kind of Important information would be on the invitation
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
One would think that kind of Important information would be on the invitation
I agree. What is wrong w/ people these days?
Old November 16th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Pretty inconsiderate to have a wedding on a beautiful Saturday If ya ax me
During college football season to boot. Have they no shame?
Old November 16th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

This wedding should have been scheduled during the summer months. People just aren't thinking right these days.
Old November 16th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Always marry an orphan

NO FAMILY
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Boat house

nice barrel back!!!
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

People at the Awful house are always commenting on how nice Tiger is, how pretty he is, etc. Today he was precious. Wasn't there a cartoon called Precious Pup?

Beautiful out. And not too cold. Think I might cut some more scrap wood for firewood. Then if I ever get the stove going again I'll be all set.

Was going up to see that truck by myself today, then the guy tells me he has strep. No thanks. This is getting to be a saga. He could drive it down here then I'd give him a ride home.

Walmart this afternoon and then get ready for the week. We're having a dinner on Tuesday. Some vendor brings in a spread every year at Thanksgiving, evidently we buy an enormous amount of stuff from them. There's a couple others that do the same thing, Michelin being one of them.

Okay gotta make today count. Hope everyone is doing well. Jamesbo how was the wedding?
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Always room for one more

Old November 17th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Running On Empty

This weather system has sat off the NC coast far, far too long - unbelievable. It's moving up to the NE at a snail's pace. The weather has been miserable for the past 72 hours. I had chairs tipped over on the front porch from the 45mph - 50 mph wind gusts this morning when I awoke. And, it's been raining during this entire system. One flag pole has broken off the exterior of the man-cave and ripped my USGA flag to shreds. The last hurricane (Dorian) ripped my USAF flag to shreds before I brought the flag pole inside.
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:18 AM

Norm, See if ya can hit your lob wedge 200 yards [with a good tail wind]
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

James, That's pretty darn funny.