The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

We really slept in today. 830. Didn't get to the Awful house until 930. Sheesh, the place was busy. I'd have thrown a few of them out but it ain't my place.

So I've been reading with interest Pat's thread on the tires he bought that were several years old. Wouldn't you know it, when I got home with my new tires, actually the next day, I looked and the code on them was, is, 4115. They are 4 years old. I'm going back this week and telling them they need to get me some new ones. I guarantee they will give me some line that they aren't a popular size, they've been in the warehouse and not in the sun, yada yada. Not my problem. Or they say oh we're sorry, we didn't realize, we already have a new set coming that's been verified. I vote for the second one.

Pretty out, but chilly. The rain has gone, in fact it cleared up yesterday afternoon and it turned out to be very nice. I'm gonna do some painting today and get ready for a short week of work, and my trip to Florida.

I have noticed something new on the site, which I like, and that is the date the thread was started now appears next to the title. Several of my other forums I look at do this and it helps to know what timeline you're dealing with before you start reading. Sort of a perspective I guess. How many cars for sale ads have we seen someone reply to that are years old?

Okay gonna get going on things. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old November 24th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Running On Empty

I was following the other thread in tires. also. I’ll be honest, if you can’t step up to the plate at the time you placed an order for tires and explicitly state AT THAT TIME OF PURCHASE that will ONLY accept tires with a date stamp within the past 6 months (or whatever) shame on you! You buy 6 months old food then take it back for fresh food? WTF
Old November 24th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Norm, with all due respect, if I am buying a new set of tires, I expect a new set, and I shouldn't have to specify that they need to be a certain age before I will accept them. I am paying for new tires, and that's what I should get. If you go to the dealership and order a 2020 vehicle, they shouldn't hand you the keys to a 2016, and expect you to think nothing of it. I can see tire stores selling a set of tires to someone without any regard to the age, because they need to sell what they have in inventory. The guy punching in the order on the computer probably has no clue. From a business point of view, they may think that it is ok, but selling four year old tires as new, is criminal in my opinion, and they will be held liable should a tire fail and damage or injury occur.
Old November 24th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Running On Empty

If you are ALREADY smart enough to KNOW you will only accept tires within a SPECIFIC date of manufacturing time frame - AND, you failed to communicate this information at the time of purchase I would still argue shame on you. I would argue the great majority of purchasers do not know a battery has a manufacturing date stamp, that tires have a date stamp, etc. And what is defined as ‘new’ to one purchaser is not ‘new’ to another purchaser. In that other tire thread I’m referencing the purchaser was offered the tires at a significant discount, as well. I remain steadfastly in my opinion however that if you know you will only accept an item (tires) w/in a specified manufacturing time frame-shame and if you didn’t convey that information shame on you. We are who we are as the result of knowledge we gain. If a person isn’t going to convey his/her knowledge regarding the purchase of these items, I believe the purchaser needs to accept responsibility, as well. I do understand your point(s), there are dates of manufacturing and if you already ‘know’ this and fail to accommodate this information during purchase and then are ‘dolt’ enough to wait and find out when they arrive - well, I’m not overly empathetic.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 24th, 2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old November 24th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Running On Empty

I re-read my statements regarding this topic. I won't want it to sound (which it may) like I'm making a personal attack on this person - I am not. My statements have no regard to the gentleman's personality or demeanor. I realize I sometimes can appear attacking in my text, but that is not the case, I don't mean any harm to this person and I'd be the first to step up and apologize. It's a fair argument, I believe. I just don't understand if you know you won't accept something of supposed lesser 'quality' (regarding a date stamp) and you already know this, why in the dickens would you not convey this information at time of purchase? It's baffling to me because I would not purchase tires, or batteries (etc.) without making it clear what I will not accept.
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Yep, I think this thing about tire dates is a new problem that the tire industry has to figure out. They should not be allowed to put this undecided issue on the consumer. I never looked at tire dates before when I bought tires because it was not a issue back then. I even sold tires at Montgomery Wards in the 80's and we didn't even know what the manufacture date was. I think they changed the rubber compound maybe in the last 10 years or so? I use old tires off my cars on my utility trailer and that is where I discovered that newer tires weather check and dry rot a lot quicker than the old tires. I believe that trailer tires must be made with a different compound because they don't crack and rot as fast. My friend has a older collector car and he bought some different wheels for it, since the tires were still like new looking and only had 3-4000 miles on them, he took his car in with the new wheels to have his existing tires put on the new wheels. YEP, You guessed it. The tire shop said they wouldn't touch the tires except to remove them because they were over 10 years old! So what happens to the guy who buys "new" tires that have been in the warehouse for 4 years? He doesn't put many miles on and 6 years later he has a problem, or maybe he just wants them rebalanced and rotated but the shop won't touch them because they are 10 years old!!
-- Well I agree with you Norm, I guess now I will make sure when I buy tires-especially for a low usage vehicle like our Olds's, I will tell the shop that I want to look at the tires before they are mounted, and I won't accept them unless they are less than say 6 months old.
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Well my Sea-bee friend made me a professional drawing of the proposed dock extension. Show is pretty, I scanned it and e-mailed it to Ga Power We'll see what happens next

Tomorrow is Monday so I'm gonna limp on on the course and see if I can play

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 24th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Always room for one more

Norm email and computer stuff is one dimensional. I have the same problem. Oft times I come across sounding like a dick when that is not my intent. But I will say I wasn't merely referencing that post because I bought new tires, I was saying the tires I just bought are 4 years old. I agree with you I should have spoke up since I have knowledge, but they are the professionals, and a retail consumer has a reasonable expectation to be buying new items when paying full price. I would have looked at them when I picked it up but it was dark, they were closing, and nothing would have been done at that point, so I took a chance. I actually didn't expect them to be that out of range.

Another thing is the tire industry is constantly telling us to check the dates of the tires and how dangerous tires are, I think they now say 6 years. They started off at 10. Soon it will be we need new tires every time we leave the house. They should listen to their own hype and show the consumer the date code and what it says before the work commences. When I was a kid I thought nothing of taking off on the interstate with 20+ year old tires. Never had a problem. Sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you. Sometimes.

A dolt. That's cute. Eh, I've been called worse:-)

Finished painting in the bedroom. So happy. Though I still need to touch up the ceiling where I slobbed onto it. Now I can put up new switchplates and also get new baseboard and trim. It will look nice when it's done, and when that will be I still can't guess. But it's progress.

Now I need to brush the green paint off Tiger. He thought he was helping. He got banished from the room. Silly puppy.

Old November 24th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Mike- Honestly, I wasn't referring to you or anyone when I stated dolt. I was just using it in a generic sense - as in when I've done stuff myself and had that dolt moment or if anyone displays a dolt moment - as in, WTF was I thinking. So as not to move too far away from the argument about my statement(s) though, my only and my singular point is this: If someone knows they aren't going to accept an item that is "outdated", not manufactured w/in a specified time period - I cannot for the life of me understand why they would not convey this information when they made the purchase. Well, I know everyone agrees I've beaten that to a pulp, put it through the blender, drank it, and now it's time for me to shut up.

I think I'll take a shower and splash some diesel fuel behind my ear lobes as James will do prior to his golf game tomorrow.
Old November 24th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Painting is an absolute labor of love - I have done tons of painting - I hate it. It's one of those jobs which I dread but which I tackle w/ the most ridiculous of detail - it's pathetic, it's obsessive, it's convulsive - but the end result demonstrates such accomplishment. I just wish it weren't such a PITA.
Old November 24th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

The ignition lock tumbler on the 2003 F-250 started acting up about 3-4 months ago. While performing the R&R on the steering column combination switch (headlights high/low beam, signals, flashers, flash-to-pass, wipers) the lock tumbler has now completely taken a $HIT. You remove these things by turning the ignition switch to the RUN position & inserting a small drift into a little key-way (boss) & pushing upwards. NOTE: The ignition switch must be in the RUN position. Well, it will only go into the RUN position if the lock tumbler allows the key to turn the ignition switch into the RUN position. That is the problem. It has been hit & miss w/ the lock tumbler. I cannot believe how unbelievably lucky I am right now because if you cannot get the ignition switch into the RUN position, you cannot remove the ignition lock tumbler. Well, I had the ignition lock tumbler removed for the combination switch R&R. While the lock tumbler was out, I decided to investigate further to see what might be the issue. I could not determine the issue and the lock tumbler would not turn the ignition switch any longer - none, nada, zilch, no go, stopped, nothing. Can you imagine if that ignition lock tumbler was still in the steering column? I would never have been able to remove the ignition switch lock tumbler. So, I now have a new ignition lock tumbler or order w/ Amazon. The torture never stops...the torture never stops.
Old November 24th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Always room for one more

Norm we're good. In fact this has done me a favor. I can guarantee you that forever more when I buy tires, I will have this information before the car even goes into the shop.

As for painting, I hate it but I'm good at it. So that's why I have to keep doing it. If I purposely mess up so I won't get asked again, I get, you can do better than that, and I have to do it over. I too go into too much obsession. I go over the walls three or more times with the compound to make sure I get every last imperfection. I sand, tape, remove, whatever. But when it's done, I can't stop looking at it.

If your lock was still in the column when it malfunctioned, they'd probably get it out with a slide hammer, which would incur copious amounts of added expense. Cars are designed for the ease of manufacture, not the ease of maintenance.

Talked with my best friend this afternoon, I haven't talked to him for months. He's in Denver. Need to call my Mom now before I go to bed. She's not in Denver. If she was I'd never see her because I can't get a plane ride out there for nothin'.

Old November 24th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Funny about the tire thread, after I posted it and went to work, I was hoping that my post wasn't taken the wrong way, just because as Mike said, "one dimensional".
Old November 24th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

It's all good, Dan.
Old November 25th, 2019, 02:28 AM

I'm on the DL so not gonna smack whitey today

I'd rather bust rocks than paint. The 1896 farm house [with white 4 board fencing] is a maintenance nightmare. It;s kinda like painting seat in a stadium. when you finish it's time to restart.

The mountain lake house was designed not to have anything to paint

In an effort to bring back Allan, I thought I'd post an oldie but a goodie

Old November 25th, 2019, 09:28 AM

A classic. Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" was on the BBC last night. I caught the last 15 minutes of it. When I was dating a young gal back in high school, I was allowed to stay late on Saturday night until Monty Python's Flying Circus was done on PBS. I'm not a fan of painting myself, probably due to the scraping of the old paint first.
Old November 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Sold 5 lots today, Not a bad way to start the week
Old November 25th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Running On Empty

42/39
Old November 25th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The day seemed to go quickly today. Went to the Dr. afterwards to renew my blood pressure medicine, then had to come home because they took so long I didn't have time to go anywhere else.

Jamesbo was that 5 lots to the same family? That doesn't sound like very good luck. At least since this is Tuesday, it will be 5 less times you'll have to do the turn around as soon as you get up norte.

Read a nice article in the latest Collectible Automobile about the Forney Museum out in Denver. I'm sure Clint has been there. I was there several years ago. They have quite an odd selection of vehicles, as well as train stuff. Big Boy 4005 is there, quite an impressive machine.

And now bed. Have a good evening everyone.

Old November 25th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

I just finished reading about the Big Boy accident. Interesting.
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:12 PM

I had to google that one Mike. A good article about an unfortunate accident. 4005 is my clock/badge number at work. Someone buy a lottery ticket.
Old November 26th, 2019, 02:43 AM

Mike,

Mom, 2 sisters and a friend [with hubby]

Anyone else get a PM from Natasha? She has a wide on and looking fer company.That;s a 1st on CO fer me. Now If I could just figure out what the Chinese robo calls were selling
Old November 26th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I didn't get any PM's from hot russian girls... sigh....
Old November 26th, 2019, 04:39 AM

Greg, You may be the only one who didn't

CO "Report post [PM] is lite up like a Christmas tree this mawn'in
Old November 26th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Running On Empty

I have nothing. I use uBlock - I never get anything.

Did you give them my contact information, James? Sounds like a good time.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 26th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old November 26th, 2019, 07:32 AM

Well, I got a proposal in my PM from a "Mallory". I reported it to the mods.
Old November 26th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have nothing. I use eBlock - I never get anything.

No, I told her I would be happy to take your turn, you were busy on the golf course
Old November 26th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have nothing. I use eBlock - I never get anything.

No, I told her I would be happy to take your turn, you were busy on the golf course
Old November 26th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day today. It's Tuesday. Yesterday must have gone faster than I thought, because I thought yesterday was Tuesday. Eh, tomorrow is Friday...

I'm sorry Jamesbo, I saw the spam when I got to work and for whatever reason(selfish?) I didn't think others got that message, so I reported it. Looks like I didn't need to. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the lovely Jennifer57, because I was not receptive to her alluring and subjecting ways. I'm sure she's real broke up about it.

Beautiful out. Gonna go to the chiro and drop them like a hot potato. Actually I'm putting them on hold and starting to do something with my bad hip. It ain't getting better and it needs to. Then I'm going over to the tire place.

Well, sayonara.

Old November 26th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Mike, If everyone on CO had taken her up on her offer, she'd be phuqued flat as a frittter
Old November 26th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Always room for one more

Well I gotta tell you about my quick and painless afternoon. First I went to the chiro, thinking the dr would try to talk me into keeping going. Nope. The dr was busy and the receptionist agreed with me. Call us when you want to. I thought that was too easy. Went to the tire place, asked for the manager, who happened to be the one who sold me the tires. Manager was busy, what do you need? I said the new tires I bought last week are 4 years old. Hm, lets go look. Oh, Sorry about that. We should have caught it. I'll order a new set and get them on for you next week. I was driving home and thought, gee, now I should buy a lottery ticket.

We're having a breakfast tomorrow at work. The schedule is start at 5, eat at 9, clean up and go home. Looks like I'll be able to catch an earlier flight than I thought to Daytona.

Jamesbo, I'm quite certain that Jennifer and all her spamming friends aren't actually girls, but some high school boy in his mom's basement in Serbia.

Now to clean up a little and call it a day. Tiger ain't gonna be happy tomorrow. But he'd be unruly on the plane and get me in trouble. Have a good night everyone.

Old November 26th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Go buy a lottery ticket. When you win, take Jennifer, Natasha & the girls on a trip around the world.
Old November 26th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Anyone get a PM from Princess?

Old November 26th, 2019, 05:59 PM

WOO Hooo got heat!!! Spent most the day working on old truck. Feels good.

Sooo nice....
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Running On Empty

Awesome, Greg. Getting a little snow there I believe.
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:43 AM
Running On Empty

Tee time @ 8:30am. New ignition lock tumbler w/ x2 keys for the F-250 arrives today - hopefully I ordered the correct one.
Old November 27th, 2019, 03:39 AM

Drizzling but a might warmer

In order to get a free lung CT scan Kaiser Permante made me go to a class yesterday to learn about the whole thing, Mildly interesting, I like scheduling health stuff during the holidays. Less traffic while everyone shops [I avoid anywhere close to a mall.]

My dressing is made [ I put cooked chopped chicken thigh meat in my cornbread dressing] and the turkey is thawing out. Got my green beans and mushroom soup and funkly caned onions for the green bean casserole. Got sweet tater and gonna make sum sausage swirls for appetizers.

Old November 27th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Running On Empty

James - Those sound delicious! Way to go.
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Looks good James, Yeah we are going "over the river and thru the woods" to sisters house for Thanksgiving. Right next door to Moms old place, of course wish ma was still here. Have a good Thanksgiving all!
Old November 27th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

We started at 5 and our number was 75. Finished before 8. Had our breakfast and I was home by 1030. I think I'm done eating food others bring in. Went for a bite of bacon today and saw hair wrapped all around it. Took some benign looking casserole that was so spicey I couldn't eat it. Last time I tried a known-good guy's chili, and it had a taste I couldn't place. And I'm not convinced some people don't put something in their food, like dirt or worse, just so they have the satisfaction of making people eat dirt. No, I think I'll sit out the crew dinners from now on.

It's warm here but rainy. Hope it's nice in Daytona. I almost feel like not going. I need to go. I got enough time I should drive. The airport isn't going to be fun one bit. Well, sometimes I wish that I could be around different people. I really should be careful wishing.

So I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving and enjoys whatever you are doing. See you's all this weekend.