The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2019, 04:47 AM

Norm, you're moving right along, careful or your winter project will be done before January starts.
-- Dan, I have noticed they flash a Star Trek emblem every so often during ads on CBS now. I googled about it and it is all about a new Star Trek series.
--Been working on the 56 effie in the shop. Love the heat.
Old December 8th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Running On Empty

Good Morning Greg - I guess I should pay better attention to my pace of work. It does feel good things are moving along. According to my laundry list I have plenty of additional items to occupy my time on the car this winter.

One additional item I need to address (besides several others) is I have found fuel seeping/leaking around the fuel pump - at least it looks like fuel up to this point. It doesn't drip but the area around the fuel pump is wet and seeping down. I need to examine it a little more closely but I suspect it's probably the fuel pump gasket; and, the rubber hoses from the fuel tank all need replacing as I can visualize cracks, dry rot, etc. along various areas of each rubber line & it smells of fuel. Gas mileage has been slowly going down, also.

The winters here on the coast of North Carolina are certainly nothing compared to The Great White North, but I was thinking about my man-cave concrete floor as I was slithering about like a snake under the car for hours on end. I should have put in a radiant water heat tubing system in the floor before I poured the concrete. There is no permafrost layer here along the coast so there would be no freeze/thaw cycles and the concrete pad would hold up awfully well over many years I would think. I bet there's even the possibility I could have found a way to cool the building w/ tubing in the concrete during the summers. I had a Vogelzang Railroad Caboose 75000 BTU 1500 sq. ft. Pot Belly Stove for ~5 years which I could burn either wood or coal but it was more work to maintain and getting far too dirty than I cared for so I removed it the beginning of last winter. I have a Craftsman 60,000 BTU Portable Forced Air Propane Heater which isn't great but gets the job done. I might install a large ceiling mounted propane heater before next winter.
Old December 8th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Slept in(645) and back from the Awful house already. Not very busy at all for a Sunday morning. I guess church ran over.

Someday, I'll have a nice shop to work in as well. Not holding my breath, though. Too many other things to get done before that one. At least I can work on the driveway now instead of in the mud.

Greg that's what a Ford is called these days, an Effie? Sounds funny. My favorite truck from that era is the 46 Chevy. I love that big chrome waterfall looking grill.

Well it's going to be work in the bedroom day. Need to touch up a little paint, get the new switch plates on, and see about the new trim. It might be too cold to stain, hope not. Also need to fit Walmart in to the mix and some housework.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 8th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Had to return early to meet with another family, Cold today, spsose to be a little nicer tomorrow. We'll see

Norm, I think ya need to rub your knuckles with a wood rasp ta slow ya down a little

Mike, Jes out of curiosity. Have you ever seen a scorpion on an air place before

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 8th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Running On Empty

James - That wood rasp sounds like a good time - that'll slow me down.

Temperature wise it's decent outdoors.

Mike - Just slow down a bit there. Do you really need to deal w/ Wal-Mart on a Sunday afternoon w/ all the zombies?

Time for me to slither about like a snake on my back w/ the torque wrench. What I won't do for a good time.
Old December 8th, 2019, 10:39 AM

Mike, There's a secret to shopping at Walmart. Ya need to find one that's not close to Marta. [ Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority] There' s one near me that you could shoot off a cannon and not hit anyone
Old December 8th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Running On Empty

Of course MARTA stands for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority....what was I thinking!
Old December 8th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo are you sure that's what it means? I'm quite a ways from MARTA, but not from Clayton County. It wasn't too bad there this morning. And I didn't need to get too much since I'm going to be gone the last few days of the week.

I've seen a lot of critters on the airplane but never a scorpion. One time a 767 had a bunch of mice on it. They couldn't get rid of them. One genius said take it up to the North Pole and let it sit with the doors open. Somehow they determined that when it gets cold mice hibernate, as well as chew on -everything- to make nests. So they took it on a test hop and depressurized at altitude. How long does it take a mouse to suffocate?

Norm you don't need the wood rasp. Just look around and see all the other things that need attention, the car won't be off stands for months!

Moving right along in the bedroom. Got the touch up done, got the door **** plate on, got the blanking plates on. After break it will be switch plates and starting to move what's left in there, out of there.

Old December 8th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Running On Empty

I’m thinking a wood rasp followed by a soaking in gasoline.
Old December 8th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Yeah Mike. some call the 53-56 F100 a effie. I have heard it and seen it in print but that was the 1st time I actually used it and I think I won't again. It is pretty corny/odd..
-- There is something about working in the garage on stuff that is very satisfying. Usually it is the smallest-unseen things that give the most satisfaction. Like drilling and retapping a broken bolt out of a block or other part that has to be saved. No one even knows that it took you 4 hours to fix it but you know you succeeded! I know you fellow car guys understand.
Old December 8th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Oh heck yes, Greg. Those things we thought were impossible when we were young until someone showed us how to use a thread tap, easy-outs, bushing extractors/presses & install helicoils. Damn near believe anything is possible after having tackled those items numerous times.

A very small case in point. I just finished buttoning up the rear end - everything new and torqued to specs. I had to drop the exhaust to get to the rear UCA bolts. Previously my exhaust trumpets were not completely centered protruding out the rear bumper from the last time I installed rear bumper rubber inserts, but with the help of a hydraulic jack placed in the correct position on each exhaust you can tweak and tighten the exhaust hangers for a perfect fit. Even Allan R would be impressed! Yes, it’s those small things which bring satisfaction.
Old December 8th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Running On Empty

It’s 1700 hours and some would call it Happy Hour. I hardly drink anymore. I think I had a couple shots of Rumpleminz a month ago and sipped those for about an hour. At any rate time to call it quits and get ready for the front coil spring removals. I think I’ll take five minutes to maneuver the compressor on one of the springs just to convince myself this will be a cake walk. LMAO
Old December 8th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Running On Empty

I said I'd spend five minutes to maneuver the compressor on one of the springs. I spent 1.5 hours determining just how to engage the bottom plate of the coil spring compressor - one & one-half hours - just to determine how the tool worked. That was frustrating & nothing short of a 100% complete PITA. I realize not all springs are the same. Not all springs employ the same gauge wire, the same number of coils, the distance (space) between coils varies, etc. I struggled going straight in w/ the bottom plate then turning it, right-side up, upside down, front, back, sideways, twisting, pulling & hammering. Just when I thought I'd completely lose my mind, I tried to negotiate going in w/ a complete sideways motion from side to side and I'll be damned if it didn't (nearly) slide right in and line itself up. That was a disaster. I think there will remain a little struggle getting the hooks and the extended bolt to align while sliding in the bottom plate (may have to unscrew the hooks from the bolt, keep the hooks above the bottom plate, slide in the bottom plate then screw the bolt into the hooks), but that will be a breeze compared to the past 1.5 hours of madness.

I'm pretty well convinced I could perform the task of removing the front coil springs w/ nothing more than a floor jack under the LCA. I did a R&R on front coil springs on my '72 4-4-2 many years ago (1977). I used a coil compressor and I'm pretty certain it was of the same type. However, with that said, I seem to recall the 4-4-2 coil springs were wider than these on the '71 CS convertible and more distance (space) between each coil. At any rate, I'm going to struggle awhile longer and make every attempt to use the compressor because I 'think' it provides some degree of safety; although, I'm not entirely convinced since once the coil is compressed it's like squeezing your butt cheeks together running for the outhouse until you get it unloaded.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 8th, 2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: image of compresor
Old December 8th, 2019, 05:53 PM

We used to change coil springs on the front of GMs at Montgomery Ward Auto Center without a compressor, probably just like you did in the 70's. In fact I never used a compressor- BUT!! Safety is paramount. Make sure you feel safe. Back then -as all 20 somethings felt- I was invincible. Now at 63 I am much more careful, though last summer I broke the 1st bone in my life- collar bone on a quad. I know that was painful and I also know I can be broken!
Old December 9th, 2019, 01:55 AM

Norm, I'm with Greg, Be careful, It's hard to play golf with a coil spring stuck in your head.

Greg, Is it odd how we go from being invincible to cautious with Old age

Winds howling, Another long john golf day. I'm gonna try and hit a 300 yd tee shot like Tiger [with a good tail wind of course]

Old December 9th, 2019, 03:47 AM
Running On Empty

James - The Swede put on a nice showing @ The Hero. Windy but tolerable w/ a forecast high of 70*F today. Winds from the S & SW @ 12 mph gusting to 16 mph. Stay out of the water, James.
Old December 9th, 2019, 04:04 AM

Rats, starting to drizzle
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:48 AM

Drizzle let up but the temps never rose much 45/42

No 300 yard drives but 220 3 Wood

Norm, I've got a better spring compressor if ya wanta borrow it
Old December 9th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

James - We tied 45/42
Meh day of golf although the weather was outstanding.
Thanks for the spring compressor offer. Let me see how it goes w/ this one. I only need to compress ~3"
I think I'm going to play 18 again tomorrow morning while the weather is nice. Seriously, what is wrong w/ me - golf over compressing a coil spring?
Old December 9th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Norm, It's called a :Flash of Sanity:
Old December 10th, 2019, 02:52 AM

Where's Mike?

Looks like it's gonna be a warm wet one. Heading to Walmart to get a few things. Speaking of which I once went to a 24 hour Walmart with a jumped dead battery to get a new one. Nope, the auto section anin't opened 24/7. Thought I would run outa gas before they raised the doors

Old December 10th, 2019, 03:25 AM
Running On Empty

A warm one here today ~70*F - 75*F no rain until this evening. You're going to get the edge of this passing Nor'Easter today, James & Mike - we should see it here late tonight. I had serious tennis (golf) elbow yesterday from laying on the ground for several days cranking nuts & bolts to 80 lb-ft. The yackers (women) play @ 9:00am this morning. Need to move out ahead of them.
Old December 10th, 2019, 03:48 AM

Norm, A friend of mine once said, I heard someone scream 'F**)(_)" on the golf course yesterday, It's the second worst thing I've ever heard" What's the 1st" I axed, "A woman's voice"
Old December 10th, 2019, 04:03 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
What's the 1st" I axed, "A woman's voice"
Love it.
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:19 AM

Rained all day long yesterday, I think about the whole lower peninsula. Cooled down last night and supposed to get snow- none here yet.
--One thing leads to another on the old truck-as it always does!! That's ok it's supposed to be a all winter project. The truck is a 56 and so am I. Makes me feel old when I see the wear and carnage this old truck has. They didn't build the truck to go this many years and it was probably just a work truck when relatively new. I decided to look into the door hinge slop and replace the hinge pins. I found out 2 of the pins were broken in two inside the door part of the hinge. You can see the hammer marks on the hinges where someone "gently massaged" the hinges with a sledge hammer!. Anyway lots of heat and persuasion got the pins out. They are 5/16" and the oversize pins are 11/32"- I ordered some. They don't use bushings like the GM cars do.
Old December 10th, 2019, 09:58 AM

Greg, we got a spit of snow last night, of course it hit when I was driving home from work. The temp went from the 40's to freezing, making it a bit slick on the highway. I kept my speed at about 55-60 mph until I hit some blinding snow, which made it impossible to see the road. Slowed to 40mph for about a mile, then visibility returned. It cleared up by the time that I hit Muskegon.
Old December 10th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

Front LH coil spring removed.
Old December 10th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

Front LH bomb (coil spring) disarmed.

The front coil spring I removed had 11 coils & measures 16.5” in height. The new coil springs I am installing have 9 coils & measure 15.5” in height. The old coil I removed required a compression down to 14.25” to remove and the spring appears in great condition I believe.

I need to look up some numbers.

i ordered these new springs for a ‘71 CS at factory ride height. I suspect they are correct. However, if my memory is correct, I believe the factory springs were perhaps taller for the CS convertible as opposed to the coupes. Or, someone may have already installed newer front springs with a 1” increase in height.

In any case since I’m rebuilding the front suspension with new ball joints and cleaning up the UCAs/LCAs it’s provided me the opportunity to examine the integrity of the springs and their sizes.

OK, onto the RH side.
Old December 10th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah done with work. Dr. appt tomorrow, Thursday is my day to do whatever I want, Friday I go to Mom's. And none of this will be done at work.

Work? Yesterday I was wacked. My bum hip was killing me all day, I could hardly walk. When I got home I didn't move. Just went to bed. Today I got smart and took some pain killers and boy howdy what a world of difference. The last two days I was doing the inspection thing, running wheel halves on the eddy current machine.

So I took a look at the stove and started to take it apart, with the intention of fixing the smoke problem. Smoke wouldn't vent out and when I opened the door it all came into the room. So first off I noticed a bracket was not installed correctly, from when I had it apart last year for cleaning. All I did was reinstall the bracket and then fired it up. Worked like a charm. Oh for a simple fix for everything. Apparently the bracket was not keeping the top bricks in the correct position, ie blocking the chimney so the smoke had nowhere to go. Hm.

Thanks for missing me Jamesbo. I didn't realize I hadn't posted yesterday. I'll do better. Except when I'm not home.

I think some meatloaf is awaiting me. I can stay up late tonight, and on a weeknight! No Awful house for me until after my appt. Tiger won't like that.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old December 10th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

RH side coil spring removed. That’s right bitches.
Old December 10th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Running On Empty

Evidently it’s cold in Wauwatosa, WI

Old December 10th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Running On Empty

I believe I have this fingered out.

These UMI Performance coils are supposedly nothing short of utterly awesome. I did some research on coil spring materials before purchase and I’m satisfied with the materials and manufacturing.

I just re-read the insert which accompanied the springs.

”UMI coils have shorter free height than factory coils. The important measurement, the loaded height, is correct on our springs.”

Therefore, I’m satisfied w/ the free height (15.5”) of these springs.

Both front LCAs are removed.

IMO, having reviewed the upper and lower ball joints on a car lift w/ a shop mechanic who believed the ball joints were fine, I believe there is far, far too much free movement in each ball joint. They may not move in an up and down motion, but they certainly are very Loosey Goosey. After I remove the ball joints I’ll determine which type to purchase. I know the uppers have been replaced as the result of visualizing the nuts and bolts fastening hardware.

I think I’ll start soaking and cleaning some fastening hardware tonight.
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:50 PM

I agree Norm, I would replace the ball joints since they are 90% out at this point. I rebuilt the front end in the Cutlass in about 95 and replaced the coil springs. I just got what the parts store said was for the car. All seems ok and still is. Then when I did the Vista Cruiser I went thru all the Moog charts and ordered the heaviest springs I could get. Wasn't happy with them- front end sat too high. Make sure and let us know how you like those springs.
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Running On Empty

I'm glad you chimed in on the ball joints, Greg. I have always thought the ball joints should be exceedingly stiff and barely capable of any movement w/ your hands - I mean, you shouldn't really be able to move them w/ your hands should you? These literally spin easily in the sockets - if you're following what I'm saying & I think you are. My front end has been extremely loose since I purchased the vehicle last summer. The gear box and the rag joint both are fine, IMO. The Pitman Arm is fine - quite stiff. The idler arm I believe has too much movement in it and I'm replacing it. As I've said previously, the UCA bushings are just plain shot - the passenger side rubber bushings on both sides of the UCAs are dry-rotted & have migrated out of the bushing sleeves. In a nutshell, I'm replacing all of the UCA & LCA busings, all of the ball joints, the idler arm, sway bar spindles and sway bar bushings. The tie rods look like they're in fine shape. I think I have this covered but if you have additional suggestions they're appreciated.
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:33 PM

I'm staying away from Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
Old December 11th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Norm, You don't fiddle phart around when ya start something, do ya?

Mike, CO is kinda like your Waffle House, You are greatly missed if ya don't check in

I had a dear friend from Great Bear Lake [ or was it White Bear lake] Anywho, He came to Georgia during WW II [Fort Bening] and never returned to the frozen north

Again JMHO but with the invention of A/C and so many people experiencing the sunny south during the war, The south began it's amazing growth [that hasn't stopped yet]

Old December 11th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'm just trying to occupy my time with fun activities.

I made a run to the grocery store & Ace Hardware. Grabbed several new GRADE VIII bolts for the control arms, some new shock bolt/screw fasteners & some 100% LYE. Seems grocery stores don't sell Red Devil Lye any longer (at least around here for the past 8-9 years). I'm under the impression it most likely has to do w/ safety - I don't know. At any rate, you can purchase NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) on-line in various quantities but the Ace Hardware store near me sells some 1 lb. quantities so I bought five. Basically NaOH is the active ingredient in Easy Off oven cleaner, Drano, etc. (but in lesser concentration - not 100% NaOH). And, of course, folks have used it for years making regular soap (when mixed with animal fat - basically lard). My point is, NaOH will dissolve carbon in a heart beat and it's what I use to clean all automotive parts which have serious build-up of oil/grease etc.

The weather is fit for a duck or a goose - light drizzle & chilly ***** boogers. I think I'll mix up a batch of NaOH and clean-up the LCAs to get them ready for a wire brush cleaning, priming & painting; or, I'll start removal of the UCAs - decisions, decisions - so many fun alternatives. I have a doctor annual checkup today @ 3:30pm w/ my FNP. She's pretty hot so I'm looking forward to it. I always think of asking her to check me for a hernia or to check my colon but for some reason I wimp out at the last minute.
Old December 11th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast here but not raining. A little chilly but doable. I feel like I'm wasting a day off.

I'm going for my physical in a little while. My doctor is not hot, but he is a little fem. Eh, I just gotta keep count of the fingers.

My friend's dog died last night, and he is beside himself. I have empathy for him, it's not fun at all losing your dog, but I have to say that poor fella suffered far longer than he needed to.

Jamesbo I'm not going back to the frozen north, either. I may continue down to Florida at some point. I'd love to go out west. I like that look, the rugged desert.

Okay gonna get ready to go. I haven't eaten anything since 6 last night, but I'm not telling the dr that I'm going to Awful house as soon as I leave there. Might get my hair cut this afternoon. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 11th, 2019, 07:51 AM

Something flung a craving on me for a Reuben Sandwich for lunch

Nothing like a hot lunch on a dank day [Dank= southern for cold and wet]
[img]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/classicoldsmobile.com-vbulletin/2000x862/ruben_d6ab927a74f12271cbf5d6502cee4cda8e4cdf10.png
Old December 11th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

Love Reubens. Dark rye & pump of course.

rocketscientis WITF???