The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2021, 11:00 AM

Well it's sunny today after those two frontal system passed through. Supposed to get a couple more storm systems this weekend, though. More rain for us and a lot more snow up the hill. Watch out you folks to the east, it will be headed your way.
Old January 27th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Coldish today and overcast. We get a bit of rain now and again, not supposed to be much better coming up. Yuck. Left work a little early today and I have no desire to do anything this afternoon.

Chris your wife is setting a precedent. She wasn't supposed to have stuff stacked up but does anyway. So now when you want multiple things you can have them as well. Besides who really cares how many projects anyone has. If something makes you happy, do it. By the way, the desk and table look nice. Always love copper accents.

Come on Greg, we need to see Purple Elvis.

One more for me. I took Friday off and I'm going to my Mom's. She hasn't been feeling the best lately and my sister has been doing an awful lot for her. That's not a good role for my sister, so I'm going to give her a break for a couple days. Plus it will be nice to get out of town.

Well okay I guess I should find something to do. Guaranteed it won't be involved. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 27th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Coldish today and overcast. We get a bit of rain now and again, not supposed to be much better coming up. Yuck. Left work a little early today and I have no desire to do anything this afternoon.

Chris your wife is setting a precedent. She wasn't supposed to have stuff stacked up but does anyway. So now when you want multiple things you can have them as well. Besides who really cares how many projects anyone has. If something makes you happy, do it. By the way, the desk and table look nice. Always love copper accents.

Old January 27th, 2021, 02:25 PM

Hi everyone.

Mike - Thanks for the compliment on my wife's projects, much appreciated. I honestly don't care about her having multiple projects. I just need to at least be able to get to things I need to get to in the basement. Like I said, I'm done bitching about it.

I agree with you, I think we'd all love to see a picture of Purple Elvis, common Greg we all want to see "The King"!

Old January 27th, 2021, 03:21 PM

Good evening guys,
We did end up getting about 3 inches of snow today. Discretion was definitely the better part of valor when I decided not to go out and get my new glasses this morning. My next door neighbor left for work before the 1st plow came through and the street was snow covered and slick. We have a very steep, long, curving hill at the very front of the subdivision. He has (or had) a very nice, newer, Toyota Tundra 4x4. He lost control on the hill, and slid sideways with his rear quarter hitting a brick mailbox which spun him around and then his rear end went over a regular style mailbox. He has substantial damage to both his rear quarter and rear of the truck and totaled the 2 mailboxes. Ugly!!!

My wife is asking $200 for the solid wood desk and filing cabinet that I posted the pictures of. She asked me if I would ask you guys for your opinions of whether she is asking too much for them, or whether you think $200 is about right. I will definitely not be offended if no one wants to offer an opinion, but I told her I would ask. Anyone???

Hope everyone had a great day.
Old January 27th, 2021, 08:49 PM

Chris, considering the time, work, and quality of the desk, I would say that she is being reasonable. Speaking of snow, we have had a mild winter in these parts. We are almost 38" below average in snowfall this year. Not that I'm complaining.
Old January 27th, 2021, 10:51 PM

Chris,

My 2 cents is given the virus and the snow [and the fact people want to eyeball stuff in person,] I would think it would be hard to sell anything at this point in time. I'd look at her projects as an IRA
Old January 28th, 2021, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, considering the time, work, and quality of the desk, I would say that she is being reasonable. Speaking of snow, we have had a mild winter in these parts. We are almost 38" below average in snowfall this year. Not that I'm complaining.
Dan - Thanks alot for your opinion on the furniture, it is much appreciated and I'll pass it on. Your winter sure has been crazy mild hasn't it. Battle Creek always seemed to be on the far eastern edge of the lake effect snow, so we didn't normally get as much as where you are, but still too much. We've had a mild winter here too, both in terms of cold and snow, I'm not complaining either. I've been down here in St. Louis almost 40-years now, and I know for sure the first 10-years I was here the winters were much worse than the last 10.
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris,

My 2 cents is given the virus and the snow [and the fact people want to eyeball stuff in person,] I would think it would be hard to sell anything at this point in time. I'd look at her projects as an IRA
James - Thank you very much for your opinion on the furniture, it is much appreciated and I'll pass it on. Very good points you raised about folks not wanting to get out with the virus and the weather, and wanting to see it in person before making a final decision. She may have a much better chance of getting the kind of money she'd like to get out of it in the late spring or summer. I know I'm biased, but I really believe the price she's asking is more than reasonable. It really does look like it's brand new, and I believe it would have at least a $500 - $600 price tag on it in a nice furniture store. You can't find the quality of the materials in the two pieces in something that comes from places like Weekends Only, IKEA, or other lower end box stores.
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:19 AM

Dan, surprised you are 38" below average. Here in Harrison it seems we are getting quite a lot this winter. If you look on a topographic map of Michigan you will see a ridge that goes east and west across the state. It goes just north of Clare and seems to channel lake effect snow from Lake Michigan . It's called James Hill at Clare and you go up it on US 127. We are north of that ridge. So we can get snow and Clare south and Houghton Lake North don't get it. Usually ******* has a bunch of snow all winter but the other day when we went up there was a lot less than we had. I hope everything is going as well as can be expected for you and your family.
--Guys, I'll try to get a picture of purple Elvis...going for another ride today.
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:05 AM

Good morning guys,
Well, the well digger's **** isn't just cold this morning, it's frozen solid at 16 degrees. Going to have full sunshine today, but not suppossed to get above 35, warming to mid-40's tomorrow.

No big plans today. The highlight will certainly be if the trail cam catches a glimpse of "Purple Elvis". I had always heard the theory that Elvis was not really dead, but alive and well, living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Recently, the rumor is he has moved north to Harrison, Michigan because of too many sitings around Kalamazoo. I am hoping we can get validation of this latest rumor!

Have a great day guys!
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I am appalled. There are tiny white specks falling from the sky. I can actually see them. If just one speck sticks to the surface, they will close all schools, barricade the highways and close all businesses.

A perfect day for those awful colored golf *****
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:50 AM

I am appalled. There are tiny white specks falling from the sky. I can actually see them. If just one speck sticks to the surface, they will close all schools, barricade the highways and close all businesses.
Wow, what was your morning low? Do you have a tee time planned for today?
Old January 28th, 2021, 06:34 AM

The morning low was cold - I just now found my *******. I had my first "tea" time @ 4:00 am. There will be no "tee" time today for me.
Norm - Doesn't look much better for ya tomorrow morning, you're looking at a morning low of 33 tomorrow. Might want to start thinking of moving further south . . . LoL!
Old January 28th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Now sighted in Harrison!

Thank you, thank you very much.
Old January 28th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Norm - Thanks for sharing! Good links, good info, and good for future reference. My youngest daughter who is in charge of vaccination protocol and distribution at her hospital has received both doses. My older daughter would have had both doses by now too had she elected to receive it, but declined being 7-months pregnant.
Old January 28th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Old January 28th, 2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Now sighted in Harrison!

Thank you, thank you very much.
OMG, I should have known Elvis would have a cool ride to match his outfit. The King Lives On in Harrison, Michigan!!!
Old January 28th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Kenneth - x2 what Norm said, although you deserve a long stretch after that brutal summer.
Old January 28th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah the week is done. Not a bad day, we finished up at lunch and then sat until after 2. When we first entered the croup, work was so worried about us being around each other that they split us into two shifts, and when we finished our work we went home. That has sort of fallen by the wayside. It must have affected the bottom line somehow.

Greg that's a great outfit! Don't walk into Burger King with it on or they will think you should be flipping burgers. The sled looks pretty good, too. But in pure Elvis fashion, it should be all gold.

Chris to tell you the truth I have no idea what furniture goes for. But the copper trim should add about 12 bucks to the price whatever you decide.

Kenneth those temps probably seem cool to you, but it would be a heat wave over here. We've had a bit of wind the past few days, doesn't help things.

We're going to see my Mom this weekend. So I'm taking the dogmobile to get gas so I don't have to stop when we leave. Gonna get up way early so I'm not driving all day. The plan is to be all ready and then just load up and go in the morning. We'll see how close I get.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 28th, 2021, 01:30 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...01%26PC%3dHCTS
Old January 28th, 2021, 06:07 PM

I wonder what is the range of an EV snowmobile?

I would hate to be in BFE and have the batteries go dead - that could be fatal. Very different than an EV automobile going dead on a paved city street where there’s cel service and you can call AAA for a tow.
Old January 28th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Kenneth those temps probably seem cool to you
Be assured that we have broken out our warmest winter gear (that would be long pants and lined windbreakers) in order to survive the dramatic dip in temperatures.
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:29 AM

I think electric snowmobiles would be cool. Only problem I can think of(except of course range) would be the extended storage a snowmobile usually goes thru in the summer. I personally think that electric cars are probably here to stay. But on a car you would be using it most every day and the batteries would stay exercised or whatever it's called. The only thing I really don't like about riding is the noise. My 98 Polaris is quite noisy- exhaust and drivetrain, we have a 95 Yamaha and it is really loud too. I'm sure newer ones are better. Not to start a argument here as I know we all love our gas V8's, but all my friends and most comments I see on line say that electric cars will never work. I'll bet in the late 1800's if the majority of fledgling auto manufacturers would have followed the electric course instead of the internal combustion course we would have had electric stations all over the country instead of gas stations. 120 years of research and development goes a long way. Compare Curved dash Olds to a modern gas vehicle.. Ok enough of that , don't even know why I went off on that, I'm not a electric proponent, actually I think it really doesn't matter what I think...
Old January 29th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Greg, I care what cha think

Remember it was only 41 years from the Wright brothers 1st flight to the air Armada of WW II

My long awaited point is

Anything is possible
Old January 29th, 2021, 07:03 AM

Good morning guys,
Cold at 26 right now at 0845, but sunny. Supposed to get up to around 40 this afternoon. Looking at mid-40's over the weekend, but high chance of rain both days.

Wife woke me up frantic at around midnight saying she needed help with our male dog Monty. Apparently he had broken a nail this time, last time it was Maggie. She needed me to hold him so she could get the nail in some styptic powder. We got the bleeding stopped, then after awhile, cleaned it, and put on some antibacterial liquid nail for dogs. His injury does not look nearly as severe as when Maggie completely ripped hers out of the nail bed. You can still see some natural nail sticking out. Guess we'll see how it looks this morning and monitor it. We are really hoping he doesn't need to have it surgically removed like Maggie did, that was a nightmare. We keep their nails trimmed pretty short ourselves and can't figure out how in the hell these dogs are tearing their nails up???

Wife has someone coming to look at the desk and filing cabinet tomorrow, they didn't mention a counter offer when they asked if they could come look at it. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 29th, 2021, 08:30 AM

I hope everything is going as well as can be expected for you and your family.
Thanks, Greg. If you should wander off of the groomed trails up there, you should be easy to spot with the snowsuit. It looks just fine though.
Old January 29th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I think electric snowmobiles would be cool. Only problem I can think of(except of course range) would be the extended storage a snowmobile usually goes thru in the summer. I personally think that electric cars are probably here to stay. But on a car you would be using it most every day and the batteries would stay exercised or whatever it's called. The only thing I really don't like about riding is the noise. My 98 Polaris is quite noisy- exhaust and drivetrain, we have a 95 Yamaha and it is really loud too. I'm sure newer ones are better. Not to start a argument here as I know we all love our gas V8's, but all my friends and most comments I see on line say that electric cars will never work. I'll bet in the late 1800's if the majority of fledgling auto manufacturers would have followed the electric course instead of the internal combustion course we would have had electric stations all over the country instead of gas stations. 120 years of research and development goes a long way. Compare Curved dash Olds to a modern gas vehicle.. Ok enough of that , don't even know why I went off on that, I'm not a electric proponent, actually I think it really doesn't matter what I think...
First, that snowsuit isn't *that* bad. The colors seem to indicate either an 80's design, or it was color-matched to a line of sleds. I think it matches up with the colors on your Indy Trail sled rather well.

I quoted your post above specifically because I wanted to make a comment about the battery storage. I'd like to see these mfr's have their battery packs interchangeable between vehicles. Say, the sled for winter, and a side by side / quad / motorcycle for spring thru fall. I'd have to imagine that they are already thinking in this direction.

I have personally avoided electrifying my weed wacker / blower / other tools until now. I got a Milwaukee shop vac for Christmas, and it came without a battery or charger. I am going to invest in a leaf blower that comes with an 8.0 mH battery and charger as a bundle, and probably a second battery, to interchange between the two tools. And, when my gas weed wacker gives up the ghost, I'll add the battery weed wacker to the group.

Noise is a big thing for me, too. Anything to lessen the impact to my hearing, the better.
Old January 29th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Jeff

Nice rant, Norm! I am often disappointed to read all the complaining on this forum about technological advances, so it's nice to read a post like yours once in a while. I likely bought my last new ICE-powered vehicle in 2019, unless I win the lottery. I expect / hope the next brand-new purchase will be an electric vehicle that meets my needs for towing and range, even though I don't tow often. GM's stance on moving towards an all-electric fleet by 2035 sounds overly ambitious, but I suppose we shall see. I will be curious to see if some version of the Volt's drivetrain comes back in larger vehicles for extended range, except without the physical connection to the drivetrain that the Volt's 1.5L engine had. Just a true on-board generator to charge the batteries.
Old January 29th, 2021, 10:12 AM

Norm, Somewhere around here I have a cookbook about how to cook on you nasty fossil fuel l engine. I've tried it a few times in order to maximize my use of fossil fuels

Just MHO but someone had better give some L-O-N-G thought to our electric grid before we go total electric

FWIW even windmills need oil

Old January 29th, 2021, 11:21 AM

Norm, I don't disagree with you BUT I get tired of the good ole US of A carrying the burden [ mostly alone] If we went 100 % electric and stopped using any fossil fuels. The other countries would continue

W/O getting too political, We carried NATO for decades, lost 50,000 men in SE Asia for nothing and now our energy Tsar is burning more fuel in his private jet and I will use in my lifetime

I not opposed to doing my part, I just and sick and tired of carry the world

I'm not a tree hugger but I do view myself as a Conservationist [ you know what business I'm in so I have put my money where my mouth is]

I think I better STFU
Old January 29th, 2021, 11:37 AM

Good idear
Old January 29th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Jeff

Europe is much more energy conscious than we are here in the US, and VW tripled their electric vehicle sales last year, to 231k. GM didn't have big electric sales because their lone offering is the Bolt -- too small for the market. As soon as they roll out larger models, I expect sales to increase. I think people that want an electric vehicle might not be interested in a Tesla due to the lack of the traditional dealer network, mistrust of the long-term viability of Tesla, or because they are simply "homers," instead waiting for their preferred OEM to offer something that fits their needs.

Old January 29th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Was it Wilma or the Brontosaurus ribs

Old January 29th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day for traveling. Nice here and a little warmer than up home. I sure missed a lot here while I wasn't here.

And I can't begin to match the ebullience of today's conversation so I'll STFU now, too.

Norm, as soon as I get enough string between my tin cans I'll call you.

Old January 29th, 2021, 01:26 PM

Since we're [kinda sorta] on the subject

I have owned several shopping center sites [ some have been built on some no yet]

Anyway, several years ago [like 15] I was trying to rezone a piece of property and the neighborhood ***** brought the Sierra Clun to give a 'talk' about the dangers of development. I'm sure you know the drill, Pictures of dead beavers floating in creeks, babies on respirators. All cause by nasty builders. Anyway after his "presentation" I axed the Sierra club moron. What is the affect of agriculture on the environment? Because I knew I had a pasture full of cows and every time it rained the cow poop washed own into the creek and then into the streams and then the rivers [water system]

His answer was

" It's not that's it not a problem, It just such a big problem we can't address it"

My point? Saving this Orb ain't so simple
Old January 29th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Norm, My point is [was] IF agriculture is a problem

Why are you fighting a rezoning to a controlled development with retention ponds etc

IF the world remained 'uncontrol agricultural, with run off silage pits etc.

IMHO it's far worse on the environment

It's not about "hate' it's my view of ridiculous Irony. Jet set energy tsar/ development hating tree hugger IGNORING reality
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Norm, you realize a lot of people heat their house in the winter by burning fossil fuels. It is the most efficient method by far.

Also be aware that under 40% of a barrel oil is used to produce gasoline, which means 60% will still be used after ICEs in passenger vehicles are replaced by electric motors.

Last edited by Fun71; January 29th, 2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 30th, 2021, 03:22 AM

Headed norte after a funeral

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old January 30th, 2021, 04:49 AM

Outside thermometer says 1 above this morn. brrr.... I like this thread and the people on it. I have tried facebook and hate it, I dropped back out. Anyway I like being able to just talk about general stuff not necesarily tied to Oldsmobiles. I also like the Hamb but on that site if you post anything other than pertaining to 65 and older american cars it will be deleted or locked. Well it's Saturday time sure flies. Last year at this time I had already accomplished a lot on my truck. This year I aint done much at all. Oh, It will wait for me... When there is snow I sure like riding. Have a good weekend!