The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2021, 08:03 AM

Good morning guys,

Much warmer this morning at 37 at 0700, 18 degrees warmer than the same time yesterday. Looking at gray skies and light showers throughout the day. Moisture is so light it's not even showing up on radar.

Looking forward to the grandkids b-day party at 1300, and then the NFL Conference Championship Games this afternoon and evening. My Chiefs are still in it, and their star Patrick Mahomes has been cleared to play after clearing the concussion protocol he had to go through after being knocked out of the game last week. If you like football, he's a special talent!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 24th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Always room for one more

Well guess what. A Metropolitan is gone from the fold! You should mark this day down, I haven't sold anything in years. I kind of hate that he's going to hack it all up, but I guess it's better than it rusting into the ground.

Beautiful out and not too chilly. I got the rest of the day to do something. Walmart has to fit in there somewhere but I want to spend some time outside. Maybe Tiger and I will just play around in the back yard.

Old January 24th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Mkike, Whatcha gonna get to fill the space?

Anyone like Enchiladas?

Old January 24th, 2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - I love enchiladas.

Norm, If I'd knowed that I would made more. I make chicken ones all the time
Old January 24th, 2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Well guess what. A Metropolitan is gone from the fold! You should mark this day down, I haven't sold anything in years. I kind of hate that he's going to hack it all up, but I guess it's better than it rusting into the ground.

Beautiful out and not too chilly. I got the rest of the day to do something. Walmart has to fit in there somewhere but I want to spend some time outside. Maybe Tiger and I will just play around in the back yard.
Mike - Good for you! Congratulations!
Old January 24th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Always room for one more

Norm shouldn't that be an historical?

Jamesbo I'm going to get grass seed to take its place. The guy just texted asking about one of the other ones. I said make me an offer on both of the remaining ones.

Thanks Chris.

Break time a little early. Then it's off to Walmart. I know I'll be sorry waiting this late but at least I know what to expect.

Old January 24th, 2021, 11:12 AM

Hear ye, hear ye, on January 24th, 2021, Mike, aka Slantflat sold a car! Note: He did not buy a car, but actually sold one from his historical collection! Cheers all around!
Old January 24th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Always room for one more

The Earth will continue to turn today. Even if that guy wanted two cars he could only fit one on his trailer. But I'm hoping he does want the other one and comes back to get it.

Thanks Dan. It does feel monumental. The guy texted me a picture of his 6 year old washing it. Heck if I'd have known it looked that good I would have wanted more.

Norm I find it to be an horrific event when people don't use an historic reference in speaking. Although when I'm out of town I do stay at a hotel. Just because it's more common doesn't make it correct.

One of the guys I see at breakfast called and wanted to go to lunch. This was after I just had lunch. I said sure. After debating what each of us didn't like we ended up at the Awful house. So I think I'm set now for the evening. Might have some cookies later.

Old January 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM

Norm, Looks good. Do you "Set" your Tortilla in a skillet with sauce before you roll them up?

That's the way I was taught
Old January 24th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that looks absolutely delectable, despite the green onions. I was going to break from the norm of Seinfeld clips and play the Fat Bastard saying, you look like a baby, get in my belly! But the rest of the clip was unsavory to say the least, so I'll just say your last picture reminded me of it.

Old January 24th, 2021, 04:07 PM

Do you make your own sauce> It's easy
Old January 24th, 2021, 04:14 PM

James - I generally set the tortillas, but I was running short on sauce; therefore, this time I did not set them. But, you're absolutely correct - they are much more savory and ever so more delicious when the tortillas are set in the sauce prior to rolling them up. I had enough sauce to cover the chicken and cheese contained w/in each tortilla, but that really isn't enough. They should definitely be set (soaked, IMO).
Norm - Those chicken enchiladas sure look tasty!!! Last night we had what we call Mega-Taters. They're two baked potatoes, split in half, covered in a blend of cheddar and monterrey jack cheeses, drowned in homemade chili, with several large dollops of sour cream. Like you, I love my sour cream!!!

Old January 24th, 2021, 04:45 PM

We had a cloudy, rainy day today and the wife and I decided it was a gumbo kinda day, so I made shrimp and crab gumbo. No pictures but I can assure you it was delectable.
Old January 24th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Hey guys, back again

A good time was had by all at the grandsons' birthday party this afternoon. Way too much good food there, I'm still stuffed. We have an Italian Restaurant chain in our area called Pasta House. There was Italian salad, pasta con broccoli, and toasted ravioli from there. There were also a variety of mini sub sandwiches from Jimmy Johns. For dessert there was ice cream cake from Diary Queen and iced cupcakes! I had some of everything, some more than once!

Gabe was one of the bday boys, he's 8 now

Ollie is the other bday boy, he's 2. He's got a little sister coming in the middle of March

Keegan was the odd guy out today, but not forgotten. He always seems to steal the show, he's a pistol
Old January 24th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Chris - Nice kids/family. You done good.
Thanks Chief, much appreciated!
Old January 24th, 2021, 11:18 PM

KInda cold and rainy here today but work continued on the vanity, could not find a appropriate size vanity mirror so had to make my own, I completed the frame and got it stained, I was a little nervous about cutting down the Mirror I found since I haven't cut glass in about 30 years but it went well no problems no cuts !! no blood !! (pictures when vanity complete)
All that talk of chicken enchiladas also made me hungry !! I made my usual from scratch Sunday biscuits and have several left, I also have 3/4
of a Costco chicken left over so I'll cut up the chicken mike a nice roux add a little onion, celery, carrots some chicken stock and the appropriate seasonings and pour it over those Sothern style buttermilk biscuits !! gotta do something with those left-overs, waste not want not. that will be for dinner tomorrow, The wife shaved some roast beef fried it up with red pepper and onion and served it up on garlic bread for excellent steak sandwiches for dinner tonight
washed it down with a ice cold Genuine Draft life was good !! have a great evening and even better morning gents !
Old January 25th, 2021, 04:34 AM

Well I'm not much of a cook. Wife does great though. I love Mexican food but hate sour cream with it. Odd though I really love sour cream if made into chip dip... Well neighbor came through with the carb kit and fuel filter for his snowmobile... Ugh... So we went over to barn and heated up shop. I wanted the carb kit for instructions to set float, last time I just cleaned out carb with old jets,etc. Well kit didn't come with any instructions ! So put it back together without moving float adjustment. Also we took off seat and removed gas tank and drained out gas. Tank looked OK but in tank filter was dirty probably clogged, good thing he got one. put all back together and seemed to run great for awhile... Then wouldn't run and found only way it would run is with choke 1/2 way out. Prolly float set too low- too lean.... Well he rode it around on the lake and he is happy-so,so am I , I guess. I have to quit volunteering to look at stuff for people! These people are pretty well off and they can pay someone who knows how to fix 30 year old snowmobiles... I keep forgetting "No good deed goes unpunished"!
Old January 25th, 2021, 05:25 AM

Mike, Ya ever thought about getting a guard fer your shop?

Old January 25th, 2021, 07:33 AM

Good morning guys,
Slept in this morning, unlike me, I didn't get up until almost 0800. I think it was the combination of the gray skies and steady rain. It's a cold nasty rain at 37 degrees at 0900 and it's supposed to rain steady through 1200 or 1300. We're supposed to go this afternoon to pick up my wife's next project, an old tea cart. I thought we had an agreement that she wasn't going to get another project until she sold the 1st one, which by the way is not completely finished yet??? However, I failed to get that agreement in writing! So, I will take her to get the tea cart this time, and then look for a supplement to take that will help me grow a spine.

What about those K.C. Chiefs, Super Bowl bound again!!! I'm excited, they looked great yesterday.

Old January 25th, 2021, 12:19 PM

awesome birthday. cool pics.
Old January 25th, 2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
awesome birthday. cool pics.
CW - Thanks, much appreciated..

Greg - You're a good neighbor, I hope they appreciate you, even if it is a little too much! I agree with you that folks who have a ton of resources, yet still try to get or have something done for free, are aggravating to say the least.
Old January 25th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Kind of a fun day at work. There were slow times where there were no wheels so we cut up with one another, horsed around a little, like we were kids. I think we finally left about 215. I'm at my desk this week.

Chris I just noticed Ollie had a tractor balloon. I want a tractor balloon! You know what's funny, my Granddad was a foreman for Farmall at Moline Works in Moline, IL. His best friend had the same job in East Moline. But since International Harvester doesn't exist like it used to, I buy John Deere tractors. I don't think Grandpa would mind, after all we are from Moline and so is John Deere.

Jamesbo that's a handsome guy sitting there. You sneaking around taking my picture?

Greg don't ever stop. I know I've told you guys about my neighbor. He would call early and often. He had money and could have paid anyone to do stuff for him, but he wanted me to do it. We'd sit for hours in his garage talking. His wife made me tons of food. I knew his family and participated in family gatherings. I was one of them. He died a couple years ago and I was devastated. I was talking to his sister last week and I told her how much I missed him. She said he told her that out of all his friends(everyone was his "best friend") that I was the best friend a guy could have. He knew he could depend on me no matter what. I felt like a million bucks. You just don't ever know when you're propping someone up or helping to hold them down.

The sun actually came out this afternoon and it was about 66*. I heard we might have thunderstorms tonight but I'm thinking maybe not. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they bypassed us.

Okay gonna clean up in the kitchen a little, then relax and probably hit the sack a little early. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old January 25th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Chris I just noticed Ollie had a tractor balloon. I want a tractor balloon! You know what's funny, my Granddad was a foreman for Farmall at Moline Works in Moline, IL. His best friend had the same job in East Moline. But since International Harvester doesn't exist like it used to, I buy John Deere tractors. I don't think Grandpa would mind, after all we are from Moline and so is John Deere.
Mike - True story, Ollie actually got his name from the Oliver Farm Machinery Company. My daughter's Grandpa on her Mom's side was a farmer and he still had a big Oliver tractor when my kids were little. My girls always loved riding with Grandpa on the Oliver tractor, and that is how my daughter thought of the name Oliver.
Old January 25th, 2021, 09:14 PM

Chris, good looking family. Norm, I'm kinda busy, have to make a trip to Lansing! I wish. Novi is about 2 hours from me, too far to drive to buy tickets.I'm amped about about your alternator quip. I think that I need to plan a Good Morning Thread food tour, you guys have some tasty looking treats. I plan on making white chili this afternoon. I love to scoop it up with tortilla chips.
Old January 26th, 2021, 02:47 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere

Norm, I haveta ax. How many chicken breast did you use for 10 enchiladas? 3? 4?

If ya wanta cook up something REALLY good try this It's in my top 10 recipes

https://greatsouthernrestaurants.com...grits-a-ya-ya/

Chris, handsome clan ya got there

Headed to the dentist

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 26th, 2021, 05:06 AM

You guys sure cook up some good stuff! Norm, What is going on in Kroger stores around Novi? Actually Novi is over by Detroit area, Dan And I are quite a way from Novi. Chris, nice family! Mike you are right about the comradery aspect of getting together with the boys.. The frustration comes with not really knowing what I am doing on someone else's stuff. I know more about snowmobiles than my neighbor but not a snowmobile mechanic. I made the mistake of volunteering last year to "check out" this machine that had sat for 15 years. The battery was a glub literally it had frozen, so 1st thing he does is send wife for a $100.00 battery. Now he has $$ invested and I feel I should help with it, so that started it all. If I had said what the other smart guys said, (I don't know anything about snowmobiles.....), then I wouldn't feel bad about failing, it really was my own dumbass fault.....
Old January 26th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Jeff

James - I made nine enchiladas using two large chicken breasts.
Greg - The $1B Mega Millions Lottery Jackpot Winner (Marcia Owens) bought the ticket @ Kroger's in Novi.

EDIT: Well, I guess it wasn't Marcia who won. I thought incorrectly they updated the article w/ the winner, but I believe the winner still remains unidentified. I would hide & remain hidden for a very long time. I'd probably leave the planet if possible.
Michigan is not one of the states where you can keep your identity hidden on lottery jackpots, unfortunately. If I had been the winner, I would have hired a lawyer to pursue that case, or at least invest some of those winnings in a consultation towards a legal challenge to remain anonymous.
Old January 26th, 2021, 06:34 AM

Dan, James, and Greg, thanks for the nice compliments on my family, they are much appreciated!
Old January 26th, 2021, 03:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Turned out to be a pretty nice day. Almost 70, sunny, we had rain overnight but it stopped this morning and surprisingly not a huge mess.

Not as much fun at work today. I did go down to the nurse for a hearing test. Big excitement for sure. I don't foresee anything earth-shattering the rest of the week.

Greg you are a good egg.

Okay so it's not just me. I read an article where this girl in Pennsylvania is freakish about Saturns. She has 17 of them. They line her driveway like a display. Maybe I should send her a picture of the High Saturn. She'd probably love the story. I myself have always had this idea to have an Antebellum mansion like Ashley Wilkes' house Twelve Oaks in Gone With The Wind, and then have VWs line the driveway. I'd call it Twelve Volks. Clever, I know.

Time to relax. Tiger has been a pain in the neck this afternoon. Wants to go out then come in. This every 10 minutes. When it gets dark he'll settle down.Love the staying lighter in the evenings. Only 2 1/2 hours to go.

Okay Hump Day awaits. Have a good evening everyone.

Old January 26th, 2021, 05:50 PM

Good evening guys,

Mike - My dogs have been driving me crazy today too, I feel your pain, in and out, in and out!

Cold, dreary, and damp today with periods of rain all day. Supposed to get down into the mid-20's tonight and stay below 32 tomorrow with periods of snow. Ugh!

Wife finished the 1st project today, finally finishing the desk, the filing cabinet was already done. When the drawer of the desk is pulled out, there's a latch for the front of the drawer to drop down in case you want to put a computer keyboard in there. She put them on 4 different "For Sale" sites today, hopefully they'll sell quickly. I had mentioned yesterday we had went and picked up her 2nd project, a 1960's Era tea cart, we found the same exact model online from a manufacturer identification stamp on the bottom of the one she bought. Who knows if any are being sold, but folks were asking $300 to $500 for nice ones of the same type. Well tonight we went and picked up her 3rd project, a table and 4 chairs. That's 3 projects now and none sold, yes I'm keeping track, and no I never found that supplement to help me grow a spine!

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Finished desk
Old January 27th, 2021, 02:56 AM

Got another 4" yesterday. Up early this morn to plow it. Yesterday went with a friend up to ******* and rode some snowmobile trails up there. It was beautiful. He has a trailer and we went about a hour north in his rig. Great time. I bought a 3x snowmobile suit at a garage sale for $40.00 last summer( great find maybe $3-500.00 new- leather, nice). Nice and warm but very outdated, looks like 1980's and maybe a little fem, ( g word- don't want to get in trouble). But anyway my buddy started calling me " purple Elvis". We went in to Subway and he called me that and the counter girl busted out laughing, especially after he starting singing " hunka, hunka burnin love..." Good times!
Old January 27th, 2021, 03:13 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere

Chris, I wouldn't worry about it " happy wife= happy life

The Super model's motto is "If the shoe fits, buy it" and I couldn't care less

Headed to the Grocery store first light to avoid the crowd

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Got another 4" yesterday. Up early this morn to plow it. Yesterday went with a friend up to ******* and rode some snowmobile trails up there. It was beautiful. He has a trailer and we went about a hour north in his rig. Great time. I bought a 3x snowmobile suit at a garage sale for $40.00 last summer( great find maybe $3-500.00 new- leather, nice). Nice and warm but very outdated, looks like 1980's and maybe a little fem, ( g word- don't want to get in trouble). But anyway my buddy started calling me " purple Elvis". We went in to Subway and he called me that and the counter girl busted out laughing, especially after he starting singing " hunka, hunka burnin love..." Good times!
Greg - The Subway story is hilarious. I'd be wearing the suit too, it sounds really warm and I'd much rather be warm than fashionable. I hate being cold, and you need to have really good gear if you're going to be out in those conditions all day and enjoy it. Sounds like a great time!
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Chris, I wouldn't worry about it " happy wife= happy life

The Super model's motto is "If the shoe fits, buy it" and I couldn't care less
James - So much truth in that old saying! I'll tell you though, furniture takes up a whole hell of a lot more space than shoes. We have a full basement under our home (about 1,900 sq ft). First she commandeered 1/4 of the area for her workshop, then filled another 1/4 with wood for her projects, and now the extra furniture. It's getting really hard for me to get to my stuff down there that I need without moving a bunch of crap around. I didn't even try to move some stuff down there that I usually put down there for winter storage like the mower, hose reel, and kettle grill. As we were on our way to get her 3rd project last night I casually mentioned I'd help her move and reorganize some stuff down there to give us some more room. She told me she intended to do that soon. Guess we'll see???
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
James - So much truth in that old saying! I'll tell you though, furniture takes up a whole hell of a lot more space than shoes.
Wanta make a little wager on that?
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Nope, sounds like you're dealing with the "Imelda Marcos" of Georgia. You have my sympathy and I'll stop my bitching!
Old January 27th, 2021, 06:04 AM

Good morning guys,

The weather man got it right, 29 and light snow right now at 0800. There's a winter weather advisory for accumulations of up to 3 inches. I need to go pick up a new pair of glasses at the optometrist that are in, but I guess I'll see how bad the roads are getting after rush hour and decide then whether it's worth getting out. It's not worth busting up a vehicle or myself just to get them today, and our snows rarely stay on the ground or roads more than a day or two. No other plans for today.

Old January 27th, 2021, 09:25 AM

This Ol boy ain't going anywhere today!!!

Old January 27th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Don't take the bet! Chris from that pic, just another winter day in the mid west.
Old January 27th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Don't take the bet! Chris from that pic, just another winter day in the mid west.
Dan - You're right, I vividly remember Michigan winters, and despite missing family up there I sure don't ever want to move back to that climate. Because we don't have snow on the roads very often here for any length of time, people never learn to drive on it. Everyone goes way too fast and it's like a bumper car ride on the highways. Glad I'm retired now so I don’t have to make that drive into the city anymore in this kind of weather.