The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2021, 12:43 PM
Jeff

1) Pink Floyd
2) Alice in Chains (yeah, nobody else has them on their list!)

I don't really have a #3, just those two bands holding down the top spots. Funny seeing ticket stubs for Pink Floyd at the Silverdome in '94. That was the best show I've ever seen, can't remember if July 15th was the first or second night. I was at the first night with my oldest sister, and then the next night, my other older sister went, and that was the first show that Floyd had played Dark Side in its entirety since the original tour in support of it. I also got to see Roger Waters perform The Wall at Joe Louis Arena around the 2011 time frame. I splurged and bought the VIP package, sat in the 9th row on the floor. I've been lucky to have seen Fleetwood Mac, The Who, and KISS at The Palace of Auburn Hills in 96 and 97.

Biggest concert regret: not catching AIC while Layne Staley was still alive.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Carbon copy of yesterday, sunny and cold, done with work around 1030. Went to lunch and when I got back found out they weren't breaking down any more wheels. Heck if I would have known that I wouldn't have come back. Eh, home by 1 today so that wasn't too bad.

Norm I was at the Dead's Soldier Field concert, I don't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday. The special guest was Traffic. Boy did I see some strange things, and I wasn't even partaking. Got a very colorful Tshirt that I've never worn.

Solly I grew up listening to WLS. Fell asleep many nights with John Landecker on the radio. Listened to Animal Stories with Uncle Lar and Little Tommy and the Clunk Letter of the Day. Later on I listened to other stations and listened to WLS and its FM counterpart [I don't remember the call sign it was 94.7FM]. Then listened to Don Wade and Roma at the beginning of talk radio.

Wasn't the Silver Dome the place they tried to blow up and it wouldn't fall down? Kind of like Comisky Park. This place is crumbling and falling down. Hey why is our wrecking ball bouncing off the walls?

Well this afternoon is pretty well shot. That's okay. It's too cold to do anything outside. Didn't have any plans anyway. Might have an early dinner and watch a movie before bed. Two more times and it's the weekend. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Wheelskins Leather Steering Covered Installed >>> 2420
Sweet! Looks sharp!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by solly
Gaynel Hodge who kind of semi-retired in AZ, he was co- writer of the song Earth Angel and one of the co founders of the Platters, on several occasions, parties etc.. I had the opportunity to sit down and have a conversation with him WOW a music encyclopedia !!
Solly - Really neat to be able to meet and actually have a personal discussion with a real celebrity!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:36 PM

Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
1) Pink Floyd
2) Alice in Chains (yeah, nobody else has them on their list!)
Jeff - Thanks for participating in the music survey! Obviously several Pink Floyd fans, as well there should be!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:44 PM

James - They DO NOT want me to be on the receiving end of those marketing phone calls. I can be a VERY nasty person.

Ya don't want someone in India checking in on you every day
Old February 3rd, 2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Extended car warranties, life insurance, benevolent police organizations, and AARP. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Hey Guys
Nice day here in StL, 48 and bright sunshine. Great afternoon for starting up the 442 and bikes to drive any built up moisture out. Really getting the itch to ride, but those days are still a good 2-months away. We had a virtual StL Indian Riders Group meeting last night for everyone to provide input for planned group rides this coming summer. I pitched a plan for a 4-day ride to the Smokies, staying 3-nights in the Gatlinburg area. The ride would include riding the famous "Tail of the Dragon" and the Blue Ridge Parkway over to Ashville, NC on separate days while staying in Gatlinburg. We'll see if it gets selected. Members will be voting anonymously, and many of them are kind of wimpy about long, multi-day rides.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the music survey. Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hey Guys
Nice day here in StL, 48 and bright sunshine.
Funny thing, yesterday was the same here, but with the numbers reversed - yes it was 84 degrees. Had to run the AC on the drive home.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 03:56 PM

Chris - Sounds like a nice ride. I've routinely ridden across The Smokies, within The Smokies, Tail Of The Dragon, numerous other pig-tail switchbacks and essentially the entire Blue Ridge Parkway maybe 25-30 times. Don't forget to plan a ride to Maggie Valley to see Dale's Wheels Through Time museum.
Norm - I was not familiar with the "Wheels Through Time" museum so I checked it out. It is definitely a must see, especially on a motorcycle outing. Unfortunately it says it is temporarily closed, it doesn't say if it's a seasonal thing or due to the "Rona". Hopefully it will be open by the time we go, if we do. If the club elects to go, I can't imagine them planning a 4-day ride until at least July or August in hope of a stretch of warm, dry weather. Like I said, I am not optimistic they will vote for a 4-day trip because many of them do not like multi-day rides or that kind of mileage. If the club doesn't choose it, I may have to hit up a couple of my other riding buddies and see if they're up for it. Outside of the club, only one of my riding buddies is regularly up for longer, multi-day rides, and he is still working, so his availability can be an issue. He's planning to retire in the near term though, and we've already definitely decided we're going to go on a multi-week ride through the west/southwest.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 04:24 PM

This was either the first (for me) or one of the first where I bought the ticket on-line, then you printed it out on your own printer.
Setlist
Impressive set list, that must have been a real winner. Here is a link to the Stones concert and set list that I went to at the Silverdome in 81. Opening acts were Iggy Pop and Santana.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ican_Tour_1981
Old February 3rd, 2021, 04:43 PM

Yep, pretty different. Loved the one I went to, but I would have loved that one too. They have so much good material, no way they can play them all. I'm such a big fan, I just felt lucky to get to see them once.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 04:54 PM

At the age of 4, they'd need to be singing about Jumpin Jack and the Beanstalk instead of Jumpin Jack Flash for me to know what the hell was going on!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 04:57 PM

Norm - OK, I have to ask, what is or was, LISTSERVE?
Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:09 PM
Jeff

Got this art (*2) from the VIP package from The Wall performance at JLA.

Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:10 PM

Thanks, didn't know any of that, always good to learn something new!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:21 PM

I actually knew the initial internet was developed by the predecessor organization of DARPA, but nothing about the nuts and bolts, and what the original systems could or couldn't do. I'll have to check it out.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:46 PM

ARPA became DARPA
That's what I was trying to say when I said "predecessor organization of DARPA". I guess my words were not exclusive to a simple name change, but that is what I meant.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 11:23 PM

The Grateful Dead...cool. I prefer the old fashion ticket stubs. When I order online, I use the option to have them sent to me via UPS. Mike, way back in the mid '70's when I worked at Chris Craft, my SX had an AM radio and an eight track. The local am station sucked, but I could get WLS across Lake Michigan from Chicago. I listened to John Landecker. Was the other station Super CFL? I could get them in as well. Solider Field used to be a race track back in the day. Jeff, the first time that I saw The Who was at the Palace, the next two times it was at the Van Andel in G.R. I also saw Kiss in G.R. When I saw Pink Floyd in Chicago, I was totally impressed by the show. An anatomically correct 20' inflatable pig came zooming overhead. The best. I took the WLAV FM concert caravan to that one. The bus got back into G.R. at 6 a.m. the next morning. Love the wall art. I now know not to pick up any bottles on the beach.
Old February 4th, 2021, 04:25 AM

When I was in High School, We would park on a high hill and could get WLS at night WAY down ere
Old February 4th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Dan, The pig was at the Silverdome too, "when pigs fly"...
--Wife and I used to go to a lot of concerts. They have gotten so expensive! After the first one at the Silver Dome and later at the palace, we knew it would take at least a hour to get out of the parking lot afterwards. We had a conversion van and made sure to take it so we could party in the van on the long exit. Usually a local FM station would play the music of however we had just seen. It was a great time! Last time we went to a big concert it was at the Palace of Auburn Hills for George Strait. He is my wifes favorite artist so I splurged and got gouged thru the net for really good seats, seems like they were $200.00 or so each, but I guess it was worth it in the end.
Old February 4th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here we are again, 10am and we're out of wheels. But, we -might- get a truck in later. Eh, I'm paid until 230 no biggie.

Norm not a lot of people knew(or know now) that Larry Lujack was on WCFL for awhile in the afternoon. I used to listen to WMAQ when it was country. It could be heard in Japan, though I never heard it there.

I think it's supposed to get into the 50s this afternoon. Might have to do something outside when I get home from work.

Here's a question for all you computer-literate types. Is there any way I can save a website on my computer, so I can see it just as it is even when it is taken down? There's a listing for a house I want to save, just as it is, which I'm sure is going to go away soon. If there isn't, I'll have to go to the trouble of saving each individual picture and that seems like a lot of hassle.

Okay I think I'll go to lunch early. Lunch is at 11. Have a good day everyone.

Old February 4th, 2021, 07:31 AM

Radio story. My Dad's family was from far southeastern Tennessee near Dayton before moving to Michigan a couple of years after WWII. My Great Grandmother on my Dad's Mom's side was a huge baseball fan, specifically the StL Cardinals. I was told she hardly ever missed a game, listening on KMOX AM broadcasting all the way from StL to southeastern Tennessee. Ironic that of all the places I could have ended up after college, I end up going to StL and have now been here 38-years.

Cool and wet here today, high of 44 and scattered rain forecast for all day. We are going to pick up another "project" for my wife at 4:00 this afternoon. It is a small vanity table. Right now she is working on a bar height dinette set, with about a 4' round table and 4 chairs. She's trying her first attempt at upholstery work, recovering the chair seats. She just finished the recovering process and I have to say they look really nice. Pics to come soon.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 4th, 2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old February 4th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Radio story,

A good friend of mine dad owed WAOK radio in Atlanta [the black dot on your dial. ] We had free tickets to every concert there was. My friend was a twin. They called his dad "Big Daddy' because of the size of the twins at birth

My mother's help was son impressed with my friend [because of his father] she would make him special lunches

I later learned he was one of the1st people to interview Dr, King, A man before his time

http://www.grhof.com/08%20LEGACY%20ZENAS%20SEARS.htm
Old February 4th, 2021, 08:02 AM

Radio story,

A good friend of mine dad owed WAOK radio in Atlanta [the black dot on your dial. ] We had free tickets to every concert there was. My friend was a twin. They called his dad "Big Daddy' because of the size of the twins at birth

My mother's help was son impressed with my friend [because of his father] she would make him special lunches

I later learned he was one of the1st people to interview Dr, King, A man before his time

http://www.grhof.com/08%20LEGACY%20ZENAS%20SEARS.htm
James - I read the entire article about "Big Daddy", it was very interesting. Pretty damn good gig having access to free tickets for almost any concert!
Old February 4th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Saw his show several times

Old February 4th, 2021, 03:43 PM

James - He was a great one, and quite the showman, I'm sure those were great concerts. He must have had his reasons, but I was always surprised he spurned Barry Gordy and the Motown label.
Old February 5th, 2021, 05:37 AM

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:14 AM

Good morning guys,

James - Have great one and be safe!!

Cold here at 26, but at least it's sunny. Weatherman is calling for 1-3" of snow tomorrow evening. After high 40's the last two days, and now snow forecast for tomorrow, so goes a Missouri winter, crazy! Oh, they're also forecasting a couple days of single digit lows for the middle of next week. Ugh!

Yesterday I said I would post a couple pics of my wife's progress on her latest project, a bar height round dinette table and 4 chairs. I tried last night, had a couple paragraphs written, tried to upload the photos and our internet hung up. Lost everything I had written, and said the hell with it. The chairs seats were in bad need of being recovered. I thought, does she even know how to do that? Oh me of little faith, here's some pics of the finished seats. The rest of the chair will be done in a grayish chalk paint, along with the table pedestal and legs, and the table top will be a dark natural stain, and sealed with polycrylic. I was not familiar with "chalk paint", but apparently it is all the rage now for refinishing antique and vintage furniture. It's supposed to give great one coat coverage, but the crap ain't cheap.

Have a great day guys. Go Chiefs!!!!!!!

Reupholstered seats

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 5th, 2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:56 AM

6-8 inches last night and more coming now. Quite a job, 1st clear porch on road side of house, then snowblower on paved part of drive, then clear barn area and drive from road to barn using plow truck, then back over to house and finish rest of driveway at house with truck, then shovel snow off deck on lake side of house. Whew... Glad I can do it. Good thing is lots of snow for snowmobiling!
Old February 5th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Good thing is lots of snow for snowmobiling!
Just like when you were a kid, you've got to do your chores before you can go out and play! Enjoy!
Old February 5th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got out of work around noon today. I don't have anything good to say about work today so I won't say anything.

Nice out and around 50. I should do something outside but I thought it would be raining so didn't plan anything. Bet I could find something. I need to go over to the shop.

Chris the chair parts look nice. Your wife has quite the talent.

Well have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 5th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris the chair parts look nice. Your wife has quite the talent.
Mike - Thanks, she is very talented. I have to admit, they turned out much nicer than I envisioned for it being the 1st time she's ever done reupholstery work. She's pretty much of a perfectionist when it comes to things like that. If it's not right the first time, you can damn well be sure it will be by the time she's done.
Old February 5th, 2021, 01:23 PM

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is having a great day.

I made the mistake of looking ahead at next week's forecast. I had mentioned a couple days ago that we are supposed to have some real cold weather move in next week. The forecast has gotten worse. Next Tues.- Sun. the forecasted lows are 8, 6, -1, 0, 5, and 8, with highs in the mid-teens! That is too damn cold for this neck of the woods. Does anyone have Kenneth's number, maybe I can go and stay in his garage?
Old February 5th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hey Chris you are the resident dog toe nail expert. I need some advice. I've let Tiger's nails grow to near talons. When I first got him his nails were really, really short. I'd love for them to be that short again.

How much can I take off at a time without them bleeding? What is it exactly that bleeds in a toe nail? Can I do a little at a time until they are short without bleeding?

I paid the vet 15 bucks to trim his nails once and they didn't even do most of them, what a shoddy job. Not doing that again. I may have to do only one a day because he will fight it. My other boy would chew his nails so I never had to clip them.

Went to the Awful house for dinner. It was just one server and the chef so they put up a sign that said to go orders only. I said, I'm the only one here and you don't answer the phone, why can't I eat here. He said, you can I don't care. Heh, how special am I.

Old February 5th, 2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hey Chris you are the resident dog toe nail expert. I need some advice. I've let Tiger's nails grow to near talons. When I first got him his nails were really, really short. I'd love for them to be that short again.

How much can I take off at a time without them bleeding? What is it exactly that bleeds in a toe nail? Can I do a little at a time until they are short without bleeding?.
Mike - There is a central core, sometimes called the bloodline, of the nail that contains the nerve and blood. If Tiger has white nails you should be able to see that center core within the nail and how far out it extends along the length of the nail if you are in decent light. You can clip the nail safely until you get close to that line. You really need a set of dog nail clippers that allow you to clip the nail quickly and cleanly perpendicular to the length of the nails. They are not expensive and I'm sure Walmart has them in the pet section. If Tiger has any black nails like our dogs do, those are more difficult to do because you can't see the bloodline. With the black nails, you hope the dog has at least one white nail for you to be able to judge how far that bloodline extends down the length of the nail, and then you play it safe rather than sorry. Have some styptic powder on hand just in case you make an error, it's pretty hard to get the blood stopped quickly. I hold the dogs and my wife does the trimming. One doesn't fight at all, the other one is like a fricking Tasmanian Devil, he'd never get his done if my wife didn't have me to hold him. Good luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Also, I haven't looked, but there's got to be several good "how to" videos on You Tube.
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:25 PM

I have always found the evolution & domestication of animals to be a very interesting scientific topic of discussion - including the canine (Canis lupus familiaris).
Norm - I have always thought evolution is an extremely interesting natural process! It always amazes me how much the average size of the human male has changed in just the last 100-years. It will not surprise me if you know this, but do you know what my Dad's hometown of Dayton, Tennessee is famous for?
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:51 PM

Chris - No, but I did just look it up - The Scopes Trial.
Norm - Yep, I went to the County Courthouse there once on a "back to our roots" family vacation in the summer of 74. This will be very hard to believe, and I was totally freaked out, but we went and visited some relatives up in the hills that still had a water hand pump in the kitchen sink and an outhouse. I never dreamed there were folks still living day to day in those kind of conditions. That trip gave me a whole new appreciation for the life my parents had made for us!
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I made the mistake of looking ahead at next week's forecast. I had mentioned a couple days ago that we are supposed to have some real cold weather move in next week. The forecast has gotten worse. Next Tues.- Sun. the forecasted lows are 8, 6, -1, 0, 5, and 8, with highs in the mid-teens! That is too damn cold for this neck of the woods. Does anyone have Kenneth's number, maybe I can go and stay in his garage?
Bring shorts, t-shirts, and sunscreen.
I fear that winter is over already, and summer is gonna be a serious drag (didn't type what I really thought) this year.