The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Speaking of snow. This was a $250.00 towing bill on Saturday. Got'r stuck while out for wildlife pics.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 8th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old February 8th, 2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Speaking of snow. This was a $250.00 towing bill on Saturday. Got'r stuck while out for wildlife pics.

Ouch & Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! My wife said it looks like a scene from the movie "Fargo" and I have to agree. I do not miss those conditions!
Old February 8th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Jeff

Going back a couple of days, here's a tip for trimming dog's nails that have black claws: get a small grinder, like a Dremel. I have one specifically for pets, brand is Pedi-Paws.

Amazon Amazon

I have a black pug, and he needs his nails trimmed once a week. The Pedi-Paws has him all trimmed up in less than 5 minutes, and you don't have to worry about using those horrible clippers that crush the nail. I have hit the quick with the clippers and needed to use a styptic pencil, but the grinder has never caused any bleeding. Eventually, with proper weekly maintenance, the quick will recede to where you can keep your dog's nails properly trimmed without having to take much off each time.
Old February 8th, 2021, 11:57 AM

That grinder is an interesting idea. Does it make much noise when it's running?
Old February 8th, 2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Going back a couple of days, here's a tip for trimming dog's nails that have black claws: get a small grinder, like a Dremel. I have one specifically for pets, brand is Pedi-Paws.
https://www.amazon.com/Pedi-Paws-Nai.../dp/B001FMHZSC
Jeff - Good tip! My wife actually uses both clippers and her actual Dremel. She'll make an initial safe cut with the clippers, and then clean up the cut and take off a little more with the Dremel.
Old February 8th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That grinder is an interesting idea. Does it make much noise when it's running?
Kenneth - My wife's Dremel does not make alot of noise, pretty quiet actually. Our dogs actually tolerate the Dremel better than the clippers.
Old February 8th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Jeff

It's not very loud at all, plus it's battery operated. The yellow cap actually has a hole in it for you to put the dog's nail thru, but I take it off because it doesn't work for small dogs to try to use with the cap on. It's much easier to maneuver around with it off. I've been using it for a few years now, seems like a quality product. The vet's office we go to uses a Dremel, and I probably would have gone that route (just as an excuse to buy one), but my mother-in-law gave this to me.
Old February 8th, 2021, 02:24 PM

Good evening guys,
My dentist appointment went well, in and out in about 35-minute and no issues with my teeth. The weatherman was wrong in regard to no snow accumulation. It's been snowing a very fine snow all afternoon. Our driveways covered and ground partially covered, but our street is just wet because they salted the hell out of it.

I mentioned a couple days ago that we're suppossed to get some lows around zero later this week. I just checked the forecast again and now they're calling for a low of -9, yes it says minus 9, on Sunday morning. I'm hoping that is a typo, that's just crazy cold for here if it happens. I don't ever remember it getting that cold in my 37-years here in StL.

Hope everyone has a great evening.
Old February 8th, 2021, 04:25 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It was nice this afternoon after work. So nice I went over to the shop and cut some firewood. I think that's it for the niceness, though. I sharpened the chain saw and it ran pretty good. Felt good to act like a man.

Work was okay, I signed a whopping 10 wheels. Most of the wheels that came by me I had signed last week, so I can't return them to service. Later on when today's wheels started coming I could sign. It should be okay tomorrow.

Thanks Jeff I've got a dremel with the barrel sander. I'm not sure I could get Tiger to stay still to use it, though. As soon as it came on he'd go crazy. Anyone want to come over and hold him while I trim his nails? He's only 94 pounds.

Dan that's not a 4 wheel drive? Time for a Silverado.

Jamesbo do you let the butter melt and mix it in or do you just start eating and get a big bite of butter all at once? Is there another singer that lives up on your lake other than Alan Jackson?

Think I'll just get ready for bed. Good start to the week. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 8th, 2021, 09:49 PM

Mike, all wheel drive with a locking rear diff. She bottomed out. See the tree line in the background? that's where the tow truck came in....in reverse. That's about a half mile. No room for him to turn around. where you see the vegetation on either side, that is rocks, and then water on both sides, frozen retention ponds.
Old February 9th, 2021, 01:28 AM

Mike, I mix it up so the butter melts

I think Allan Jackson moved off the lake.

The only "famous" people left [besides me] are Fran Tarkenton [who I've never seen], Nick Saban [who I saw once walking across his yard like it were the side lines and Vince Dooley [who I've never seen.]

Since the labor pool is so small all the restaurant's are down right horrible . I always cook at home anyway so I don't mingle with the rich and famous waiting an hour to eat crappy food

I spose because of violence in the city and the virus, alot of people have moved up there full time Which only exacerbates the problem, Houses usually stay on the market for about a day before some nut case jumps on it like white on rice "They say" If you wanted to build, you might get started a year from now. The last lot In my development, I sold to a doctor from Atlanta, He's still trying to get a roof on his 600 k Mcboathouse

The only reason I'm there is because it was a boys camp I went to back in the late 50's Alot of fond memories before the crazies moved in My house is one of the oldest 1926 [added on to] on the biggest lot 7 acres with the [soon to be finished ]smallest boat house

I like it a Whole lot better when there was nothing but fish shacks , no jet skies and a BIG motor was a 25 h.p [mostly only canoes]

Roll Tide

It's so crowded nobody goes there any more - Yogi Berra
Old February 9th, 2021, 04:49 AM

Dan, that musta been a bitch getting stuck... I noticed the snow around here is really "hard". It has gotten so cold and the snow is crusty all the way down it seems. The other day wife and I took the 10 lmpala down a "seasonal" road (unplowed) which we shouldn't have. It is just a FWD but it has new tires. It did fine but we came upon a Ford medium size SUV (the boxy square looking one) who was stuck. He had let another by and moved over into only about 6" . It was all wheel drive and one front wheel and one rear wheel was spinning. It was absolutely worthless . The snow had piled up in front and rear of the tires. They were the fat big wheel tires that all the newer vehicles have and they were probably smooth There was a family in the car. His wife got in and drove, hubby and I pushed,3 small ones in back seat. She had no idea how to rock the car. It wouldn't get over the snow piles it had created. Him and I couldn't budge it by pushing. Finally 2 young bucks on snowmobiles came by and the 4 of us could push it out. I have noticed that my F250 4x4 gets a little scary if you get off the side a little, Its really hard unforgiving snow..
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:29 AM

Good morning guys, I think?

Dan and Greg - Sounds pretty brutal up there right now! I don’t miss it, although the snowmobiling would be fun. When my brother first started in the DNR he was the local game warden for Barry and the northern parts of Calhoun and Kalamazoo counties. I don't know if you still can, but back then (late 80's) private citizens could ride with the officers if you signed a waiver. When I would go home to visit at Christmas time I would ride with him at least a couple of nights while I was home. Cruising around at night on those snowy, icy backroads, often with our lights off, looking for poachers spotlighting deer was crazy, but fun.

James - You forgot about one of your lake celebrities, didn't you once mention that Marcus Allen lives next door or close to you? It's amazing how a few folks with almost unlimited cash can turn someplace nice into a zoo. Now Yogi Berra, there was a Gem!

Cold here this morning at 16, I'd say we got about an inch or two of snow.. The weird thing is it will be around for several days which is very unusual for us. It's not supposed to get above freezing for us for the next 8-days, that's pretty unheard of!

I hope you all have a great day and you guys up there above the Arctic Circle stay safe on those slick roads.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:39 AM

Chris, Marcus Allen lives near my farm [cemetery.] not in the mountains. My wife has met him, I haven't [of course she had no clue who he was] She meets a good many celebrities' where she works
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Marcus Allen lives near my farm [cemetery.] not in the mountains. My wife has met him, I haven't [of course she had no clue who he was] She meets a good many celebrities' where she works
James - Thanks for the correction.
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:46 AM

Greg, I was moving along @ 5-10mph, and had even stopped to try and get a pic about 200' before this. I continued on until I saw a snowdrift, and decided to give it some gas to go through it. No such luck. You can see snow on the front bumper/fascia where the depth of the drift was. I left an impression in the snow drift of my front end. I do have A/T tires on it, it just wasn't enough. I was impressed by the tow truck driver, it was about 15° at the time, and he pulled out the winch, then the chain & hook, crawled under the rear of my car without wearing gloves.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=Jamesbo;1317579]Chris, Marcus Allen lives near my farm [cemetery.] not in the mountains. My wife has met him, I haven't [of course she had no clue who he was] She meets a good many celebritieE]

James - I don't know why, but the 1st time I accessed your post, the picture was not there. Wow, Robert Duvall, what a great actor, both in leading and character roles. I am assuming that is your wife, she is a beautiful lady.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Greg, I was moving along @ 5-10mph, and had even stopped to try and get a pic about 200' before this. I continued on until I saw a snowdrift, and decided to give it some gas to go through it. No such luck.
Dan - Owning a 2016 Santa Fe, and looking at the large flat pan that covers the entire undercarriage on the front end, it's easy to envision how the entire car would slide right up onto the drift like a toboggan. Our's is AWD also, but I've never had it in over about 4" of snow. I do know there have been a few times when I wouldn't have got up the huge hill at the front of our subdivision if I hadn't had the AWD. Nice to have when you really need it, but like Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations!"
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:57 AM

"A man's gotta know his vehicles limitations!" There, I fixed Harry's statement. Chris, I called a buddy of mine whilst stuck, t ask what towing companies were out that way. He is a retired Deputy, and knows all of the County roads, and of course he knew where I was. I called to get a towing reccomendation, but I also knew if things went south, he would call the right people to save my a$$! When he was a Deputy, i rode with him a couple of times. The first time was boring, just a couple of car deer accidents and speeders. The second time, we responded to two accidents, went looking for a suspected gun runner, and a report of a "man with a long gun". Big turnout for that one, but it ended peacefully as the intoxicated suspect knew my buddies brother, also a Deputy.
Old February 9th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Dan - My brother and I never were involved with anything exciting really when I was riding with him, mainly poachers and kids on the backroads drinking/partying. Luckily, none were stupid enough to run. The scariest thing I think he ever told me about when he was in the DNR was when he had to respond to explosions in a State game area. There was one of those Michigan Militia guys testing pipe bombs and my brother had to draw his weapon to get the guy to surrender. Before my brother was in the DNR, he was a Michigan State Trooper for 5-years. He was at the Stevensville post over by St. Joe. He had several hairy calls mainly in and around Benton Harbor. He actually had to discharge his gun once when a robbery suspect fired on him and another officer when the suspect was leaving a bank robbery. There were several other hairy situations but I won't bore you any further.
Old February 9th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Dan - My brother and I never were involved with anything exciting really when I was riding with him, mainly poachers and kids on the backroads drinking/partying. Luckily, none were stupid enough to run. The scariest thing I think he ever told me about when he was in the DNR was when he had to respond to explosions in a State game area. There was one of those Michigan Militia guys testing pipe bombs and my brother had to draw his weapon to get the guy to surrender. Before my brother was in the DNR, he was a Michigan State Trooper for 5-years. He was at the Stevensville post over by St. Joe. He had several hairy calls mainly in and around Benton Harbor. He actually had to discharge his gun once when a robbery suspect fired on him and another officer when the suspect was leaving a bank robbery. There were several other hairy situations but I won't bore you any further.
We do have our share of stupid and/or crazy here in Michigan. Most of us are good people, though, even me.... I HATE people, but I'll hold the door open, let you go first, etc. My wife always looks over at me during those Progressive commercials, where the guy is coaching people to "not turn into your dad." I am guilty of doing almost all of those behaviors when out in public.

"We don't know him, you don't need to talk to him... he didn't ask for your advice."
Old February 9th, 2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
We do have our share of stupid and/or crazy here in Michigan. Most of us are good people, though, even me.... I HATE people, but I'll hold the door open, let you go first, etc. My wife always looks over at me during those Progressive commercials, where the guy is coaching people to "not turn into your dad." I am guilty of doing almost all of those behaviors when out in public.

"We don't know him, you don't need to talk to him... he didn't ask for your advice."
Jeff - What place doesn't have their share of stupid and/or crazy these days! Hope you didn't think I was dissing Michigan in any way. I grew up there, proud of it, and still love the State.
Old February 9th, 2021, 11:22 AM

Y'all should really see Atlanta with a 1/2 blizzard Bumper car city
Old February 9th, 2021, 11:42 AM

Y'all should really see Atlanta with a 1/2 blizzard Bumper car city
James - I was just down there for a couple of days in the summer of 2019. I went to the Streetside Classics there to check out a 66 Plymouth Belvedere that had a 440 in it with a Six Pack carb. Beautiful car on the outside and interior, but the drive train was leaking from every seal. In any case, the traffic was nuts, I can't imagine what it would be like with slick roads and a ton of crazies not used to driving in it!
Old February 9th, 2021, 12:37 PM

If you ever feel worthless, just remember it's someone's job to install blinker switches in BMWs
Old February 9th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jeff - What place doesn't have their share of stupid and/or crazy these days! Hope you didn't think I was dissing Michigan in any way. I grew up there, proud of it, and still love the State.
None taken. I've heard plenty of jokes lately from Michiganders where we seem to be gunning for the crazy title currently held by Florida people. (and that's a joke, too, for anyone offended by it)
Old February 9th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Think I'll hit the sack a little early tonight. Wasn't a bad day at work, and was nice this afternoon. I didn't do anything. Hung out and played with Tiger. We're both tired tonight.

There's some convoluted deal at work about saving our vacation. Since lots of people were on leave last year no one used vacation, so any we have left when it renews we can "roll over" and use up to 2024. Except we can't use the rolled over vacation until all our yearly vacation is gone. Sounds dumb, more like it's deferred. I had 13 days to use before March 4, but others are off so I can only use 4 days. I'll have to roll over the other 9 days, which means I need to keep track of it for three more years. Ug. Well, tomorrow is my Friday now and I'm off Thursday and Friday. Which is fine because I like not being there.

Watched some Speed Racer and now it's time to hit the sack. Hump Day is upon us. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 9th, 2021, 10:22 PM

Norm, that's a shame about the covered bridge. There was one about 60 miles from me, in Lowell, Mi. that was an arson. Just too bad with that history lost.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:49 AM

9 below this morning! A friend gave me a broken(mount) mirror for the old Yamaha sled we have. I was able to cobble it up but it was SO cold in the shop and touching anything metal was terrible. Its really too cold. Wife and I took a ride up to Houghton Lake yesterday using the back roads. We saw what we think was a bobcat, pretty cool, definitely bigger than a house cat and a bobbed tail.
Old February 10th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Norm, that's a shame about the covered bridge. There was one about 60 miles from me, in Lowell, Mi. that was an arson. Just too bad with that history lost.
Norm and Dan - Tragic to hear about the loss of those beautiful old covered bridges, regardless of the cause. We have a very pretty one only about 20-minutes from us, which is also close to the church where we got married. Between the end of our wedding service and the start of the reception dinner, we decided we'd drive out there and have some of our wedding photos shot there. A couple from our church owns a beautiful show quality 40's Ford and they agreed to be our Limo drivers for the day. Since my wife and I both love classic cars, it was the perfect Limo to get to/from the bridge and reception. The bridge is closed to traffic these days, but is maintained by a historic society, and there is a small parking lot and a small picnic area there for visitors. Sometimes we'll get on the motorcycle and ride over there just to hang out for awhile when we're feeling nostalgic about our wedding.

Sandy Creek Covered Bridge

40's Ford Wedding Limo

Old February 10th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
9 below this morning! A friend gave me a broken(mount) mirror for the old Yamaha sled we have. I was able to cobble it up but it was SO cold in the shop and touching anything metal was terrible. Its really too cold. Wife and I took a ride up to Houghton Lake yesterday using the back roads. We saw what we think was a bobcat, pretty cool, definitely bigger than a house cat and a bobbed tail.
Greg - That's brutal, dangerous cold! It's 16 here this morning. The bottom is supposed to drop out for us on Saturday and Sunday with projected lows of -5 and -9, I hope the weatherman is wrong. Nice sighting on the bobcat! All the years I've spent in the woods hunting and hiking I've only seen one, they're very reclusive from what I've read.
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:17 AM

Greg, I don't see how you survive

Terrible about the covered bridge. There are still a few around here but not many

Chris, Ya look like your in a Clint Eastwood movie

Anyone like cheese coins

Old February 10th, 2021, 07:43 AM

Greg, I don't see how you survive

Chris, Ya look like your in a Clint Eastwood movie

Anyone like cheese coins
James - With the old Ford, I was thinking more like Warren Beatty in "Bonnie & Clyde"!

What in the hell are cheese coins, never heard of them???
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Chris, Kinda like a cheese straw cookie with a little kick [heat] cheese, flour, Cayenne pepper butter
Old February 10th, 2021, 08:04 AM

James - Well, I must have grown up under a rock because I've never heard of a cheese straw cookie either, but I like spicy, and anything with cheese, butter, and flour in it has to be pretty good. I'm pretty sure I'd like them, they look tasty.
Old February 10th, 2021, 09:01 AM

https://bakeatmidnite.com/cheese-coins/

Here ya go Chris
Old February 10th, 2021, 09:50 AM

Thanks James! I'll have to see if the wifey will try to make some soon. I bet those would go good with chili. I'd try to make them myself but I'm not much of a baker. I'm a decent cook, but I usually just leave the baking to her.
Old February 10th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Chris, Kinda like a cheese straw cookie with a little kick [heat] cheese, flour, Cheyenne pepper butter
I didn't know they grew hot peppers up there in Wyoming.
Old February 10th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Another spelling ****
Old February 10th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Just plain cold for this neck of the woods. It's 18 right now at 1600. My wife had a dentist appointment at 1200 today, and the roads were snow covered and slick, with freezing rain on our way there. I drove because it scares the hell out of her to drive in those conditions. Luckily the freezing rain stopped after we got there. We were able to drive secondary roads and go slow. They have now revised our projected lows for Saturday and Sunday up to 0 and -1, from -5 and -9, I guess a warm front is moving in.

I hope everyone had a good day and is doing well. I am really, really tired of winter and this severe (for us) cold spell is not helping my psyche any!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 10th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.