The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here. I thought it would be raining but that's for later. Went to the shop to move stuff around, and of course I was in the car and not the truck, so I didn't get much done. I'll bring the truck over tomorrow.

Jamesbo the cheese coins look good, and easy enough even I could make them. Not sure about the cayenne pepper, though.

So I'm off for 5 days. No real reason, just need to use up some vacation. Monday we're all off. Not for Milk Day like I said before, duh, it's President's Day. When I was a lad we got two days off from school in February. Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. Now they've combined it and beat us out of a day. Although. after I was out of school the kids started getting Casimir Pulaski Day off. I had to look that guy up.

Okay get to stay up late tonight and sleep in tomorrow. Don't have anything special to do tonight, just hang out with Tiger. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 10th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

They must have really had to stretch to get this one in.

Casimir Pulaski Day - Wikipedia

I don't see anything that says he's connected with Illinois at all, other than areas with large Polish populations celebrate him because he's from Poland. Big Polish community in Chicago.

Pulaski Road runs from downtown Chicago to Matteson and stops at US30. Driven on it plenty of times, though not knowing who it was named for. Or, not as a Midwesterner, not knowing for whom it was named.

Zamboni.

Old February 10th, 2021, 04:17 PM

I really do learn alot on this thread. I had no idear WTF he was
Old February 10th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Always room for one more

Pulaski and another dude were the father of the cavalry. Wouldn't that be the fathers?

I grew up roughly at 211th and Pulaski.

Old February 10th, 2021, 09:20 PM

We had a Pulaski Lodge here for decades before it finally closed a few years ago due to declining membership. It was on Pulaski St. Chris, it looks like you will be having worse weather then we will, up in these parts. The Great Lakes buffer us from a lot of foul weather, frequently keeping us a few degrees warmer than the surrounding states. Though sometimes they enhance it (lake effect snow). That's for the folks who can't spell Zamboni.
Old February 11th, 2021, 03:02 AM

Good morning guys,

I have relatives in Grand Rapids, MI. Grand Rapids has a sizeable Polish population and several Pulaski Halls. From when I was younger I remembered there being a "Pulaski Days" (3-days) festival there every year in the late summer/early fall. I just looked it up and apparently it is still held, but was canceled for the first time in 47-years last year due to Covid. Apparently there are already plans for a 2021 event.

Cold at 16 right now at 0500, but supposed to get up to 25 this afternoon, a veritable heat wave. Still looking at single digit temps or lower for this weekend. The damn dogs got me up at 0400 to go out, luckily I went to bed relatively early last night, so now I'm up for the day. No big plans for today, other than just trying to stay warm.

Everyone stay safe and have a great day!
Old February 11th, 2021, 04:41 AM

-9 at 0730... Rode with brother in law up to Frankfort yesterday. This is the BIL we almost lost last Christmas after failed heart valve repair. He is doing great now! Anyway we took a clothes dryer up to his place up there. He can lift and does just fine. It was a beautiful ride up and back. Stopped at a small restaurant and had a excellent southern omelet for lunch. What a treat to be able to go in a restaurant and sit down. We had to wear masks until we were seated. Funny how you don't know how much you enjoy small things until you can't do them!
Old February 11th, 2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
-9 at 0730... Funny how you don't know how much you enjoy small things until you can't do them!
Greg - Amen to that brother! Glad your BIL is fully recovered and is doing well. I look forward to reading your weather posts, they temper my mindset and keep me from bitching about our weather all day. That's too damn cold!!!
Old February 11th, 2021, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You most likely do not know how to spell Zamboni
Norm, You keep messing with me and I'm gonna get out my voodoo doll and give you a BAD case of the shanks, You'll be standing over your wedge to get on a par 5 in 2 and wind up in the trees
Old February 11th, 2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, You keep messing with me and I'm gonna get out my voodoo doll and give you a BAD case of the shanks, You'll be standing over your wedge to get on a par 5 in 2 and wind up in the trees
James - What the hell are you talking about? A short knocker like Norm will need at least a 3 wood to get on a Par 5 in 2, and anyone can shank one of those! Save your voodoo doll for one of those gimme 2-ft. putts he needs to break 75!
Old February 11th, 2021, 06:16 AM

Chris, It's a short par 5 and he's playing up
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Foggy and dank this morning. But it's a great day #1 because I'm still breathing and #2 I'm not at work. Just got back from the Awful house. A rare treat during the week.

Greg that is damn cold. I remember those days. Don't want to revisit them. You know when I was a kid I wanted to go to school in Midland, MI. Of course that would be moving from Illinois so the weather would be about the same. Kinda glad I didn't do that, but I wonder what I'd be doing now if I would have.

Jamesbo here's some more for you to learn. Did you know chickens close their eyes from the bottom up?

Hopefully the bad weather will burn off and I can go to the shop and mess around. Some time today I need to go to Lowes or HD and get a water heater. Luckily it hasn't blown up yet and I still have hot water, but I don't want to push my luck. It's starting to have trouble and it's only 16 years old.

Okay have a great day everyone. See you's all later.

Old February 11th, 2021, 07:47 AM

OK Norm,

I stand corrected. You approaching 18 for the club championship and shank a wedge into the marsh [ all because you weren't nice to Jamesbo and he hexed you]]
Old February 11th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Well I've done precious little today. It rained all morning and then I started feeling not terrific. Not ill, per se, more like the chef at Awful house used more plastic oil than normal. I puttered around the house a little and hung out with Tiger. It never did get nice out.

Norm birds aren't the only ones who have the cloaca. Crocodiles do, too. I learned that from Steve Irwin. Hm, birds and crocodiles are both descendants of dinosaurs, so I guess they'd be put together the same.

No luck finding a diesel vehicle. They are either too new, or a Mercedes. I'm not a fan of Ford trucks but I keep leaning towards something with a 7.3 and a straight shift. I hear that's a bullet-proof combination. I don't know much about them, so I'll have to read up.

Might hit the sack early tonight. Not much going on and it's cold in the house. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 12th, 2021, 03:34 AM

Headed norte

Why in the wild wild world of sports would anyone except Paxton Quigley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_in_the_Atticwant/ need 3 vaginas I'm happy with just one

Norm , Just to clarify I don't have one, I have one available to me

Enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old February 12th, 2021, 04:46 AM

--Norm, My original 7041250 carb was ruined by a hack carb shop in California. They helicoiled the fuel filter inlet fitting crooked! Yeah a long story I won't get into now. But anyway I searched for so long for a correct # replacement that I still have the # memorized! Finally got a nice rebuilt one on ebay, works fine. I thought the 251 was for 455.Ooopps just reread you already knew that....
--Wow a heat wave this morning! 11degrees above at 0700! Wifey gets a covid test today so she can get a dreaded colonoscopy next week. Pretty sure she had it before I did but not sure, well she is being tested today to make sure she doesn't have it now.
--A friend of ours let us borrow some dvds, he had a huge collection! So I just grab one and we watch it... It's amazing how many **** movies were made! Some are absolutely terrible. Problem is once we start a movie my wife must watch it all, If I were alone I would pull it out and start another one if it was lousy. Why is it so many people want to be depressed and cry from movies and books? I guess that's why soaps are so popular... Ok enough philosophing ahh can't spell either....
Old February 12th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Good morning guys,

2nd verse, same as the 1st! More cold, 14 right now at 0800. High of around 20. Bottom still projected to drop out Sun. - Tues. mornings with lows of 1, 0, and -2 respectively. Right now the weatherman is also forecasting 3 to 6" of snow overnight Sunday through Monday. If that happens, with the frigid temps where salt treatments will be ineffective, it will be a complete CF here. Doesn’t really effect me, I can just hole up and stay home, but I'll worry like hell about my kids trying to get to/from work. With both of my girls nurses, both having great work ethics, and hating to leave their colleagues and patients in the lurch, I know they will attempt to get to the hospital no matter how bad it is.

Norm and Greg - Interesting discussions about the carbs. My 67 currently has the aftermarket Edlebrock Performer 2151 aluminum intake with a newer Holley Street Demon 800 cfm carb on it. Right now the way the car is set-up and tuned, I couldn't ask for it to run any better. I know alot of the purists on this forum are in love with the original Q-jets, but my thinking is that with me not being much of a mechanic, if I ever need the carb fixed or re-tuned, I'd probably have better luck finding a qualified mechanic and parts to work on the newer Holley than on a Q-jet. Does that make sense, or should you still be able to easily find parts and guys that can work on the Q-jets? When I bought the car, I did get the original exhaust manifolds, original intake, and two Q-jets, one of which is supposed to be the original, that came with the sale. I'm curious now and I'm going to go to the basement in a little while and see if I can get any numbers off the intake and Q-jets, who knows maybe I have something unique and don't even know it!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 12th, 2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:17 AM

Norm - Thanks for your input on the carbs and intakes. I'll get some numbers and probably take a couple of pics and will post them later today. One of the Q-jets is still attached to the intake and one is loose.
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat

No luck finding a diesel vehicle. They are either too new, or a Mercedes. I'm not a fan of Ford trucks but I keep leaning towards something with a 7.3 and a straight shift. I hear that's a bullet-proof combination. I don't know much about them, so I'll have to read up.
As you will find in your research, avoid the Navistar diesel. There's a reason why Ford took their diesel production in-house.
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gloomy out. Enough rain to be annoying. Well, any rain annoys me. Gonna be an inside day.

Second day at the Awful house we didn't see this one guy. He's the one I'm hoping will help me with my water heater. So the one guy calls him and it turns out the other guy was moving heavy stuff and hurt himself and he can hardly get out of bed. That will be me when I'm 70 I'm sure. Not knowing my limits.

Today is Tiger's birthday. He's 5. I suspect he's a bit older than that, they told me when I got him he had just turned 1, but I count today as his birthday because this is the day I got him. It's been 4 years. We're going to go out later and have some ice cream.

Okay! Gonna find something to do. I've already read up on Queen for a Day and kangaroo's, the rest of the day will be less exciting. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old February 12th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Always room for one more

Jeff after I hit send your post popped up. I spent a short stint working on trucks at the local farmer's market, and we had Internationals with the DT466. I could never get the hang of them past changing oil. By the time I left the fleet was being changed over to Freightliners, and all the maintenance was farmed out to a Freightliner place down the road. I'm not looking for anything big enough for an International, just something to drive to work.

Norm my water heater's emergency valve pops off now and then. I noticed the ground under the heater was wet, and found that the pipe coming off the valve is wet inside. Also a nice divot in the dirt below. No need to try to replace that valve, the heater is 16 years old, I think I've gotten my use out of it. It still heats fine.

My friend that hurt himself just called and wants me to come get his tile saw off the shelf in his shop. So that will be fun. Might as well run a couple errands while I'm out. Hm. Might be more of an exciting day than I thought.

Old February 12th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jeff after I hit send your post popped up. I spent a short stint working on trucks at the local farmer's market, and we had Internationals with the DT466. I could never get the hang of them past changing oil. By the time I left the fleet was being changed over to Freightliners, and all the maintenance was farmed out to a Freightliner place down the road. I'm not looking for anything big enough for an International, just something to drive to work.
The Navistar 6.0 diesel that was supplied to Ford was notoriously bad, but they also had problems with the 7.3. Ford actually sued Navistar, claiming that they incurred over $1b (yes, b for billion) in warranty costs.

I have not heard or read anything negative about Ford's in-house diesel, and both GM (Duramax) and Ram (Cummins) diesels are solid as well.
Old February 12th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Always room for one more

Norm that was a good video. You could substitute me in there since the water heater is right under the living space. Hopefully that won't happen. I'm going to hold off getting the new water heater until my friend can help me. Probably next week.

Rain has stopped but everything is a muddy mess. Thought I'd do something at the shop, but driving in the truck just tore up the grass. So it's back home and inside stuff.

Jeff I'd love to take a Cummins diesel out of a Dodge truck and put it in an old Belvedere or something. I saw an Olds 88, around a 66 model, that had a Duramax put it in, there's a company that does that. Looked cool. Was rather pricey.

Old February 12th, 2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,
When I bought the car, I did get the original exhaust manifolds, original intake, and two Q-jets, one of which is supposed to be the original, that came with the sale. I'm curious now and I'm going to go to the basement in a little while and see if I can get any numbers off the intake and Q-jets, who knows maybe I have something unique and don't even know it!
Good evening guys,,

Well, I got hijacked late morning/early afternoon to go get more furniture. That's all I'm going to elaborate on that subject. As a result, I didn't get to the basement to check out the spare Q-jets and intake given to me when I bought the car until just a little while ago. The first thing I noticed was there were several stamped markings, with different numbers on different parts. I took pictures of the two most notable stamps and I'm hoping one of them is the identifying carb stamp. I did notice the stamps on both carbs were the same. I'm hoping one of you guys can tell me which stamp is the carb identification stamp if I have it. Beyond that, if I have shown the carb stamp, if you have a resource that identifies when the carb was manufactured that would be great. Any help will be appreciated.

Carb 1 - Still attached to what is supposed to be original intake.

Carb 1 - Stamp below the "RP" is 7033744. I'm guessing this is the identifying stamp.

Carb 1 - Stamp on the green circle is 7027156.

Carb 2

Carb 2 - Stamp below the "RP" is 7033744, same as Carb 1.

Carb 2 - Stamp on the green circle is 7027156, the same as on Carb 1.

Wifey made one of my favorites for dinner tonight, her gourmet egg, ham, bacon, and cheese on homemade bread Texas Toast. Yum!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old February 12th, 2021, 04:54 PM

Chris

Oh wait, yes, I forgot this is a 1967 isn't it. So, that would be correct. I'll have to look it up. I forgot what year you had. My bad.
Whew, I was about to reply, Well Sh@t! Yep, it's a 1967, I'll hold on while you check your sources, no rush, and thanks!
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:23 PM

I believe it has a manual choke, only based on the procedure the guy told me to go through to get it started. When I go to start it for the first time after sitting, I need to pump the pedal 8 times, turn the key, and see if it fires up and keeps running. If not, pump 4 more times and turn key. It has never taken me more than 2 cycles to start, even after sitting for 3 or 4-weeks in cold weather. After it has been started once on any given day, there is no need to pump the pedal again to start, just turn the key and it fires right up.
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:27 PM

It's really hard to decipher the other one - 7033744. I'll probably have to look at a couple sources. I'm not 100% certain what that number represents. Even using Cliff's decoding I can't quite figure it out, but I'm getting tired.
https://cliffshighperformance.com/ar...ber-chart-1938
Thanks Norm! Kick back and relax, I appreciate your sleuthing!
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Always room for one more

Norm what movie are you watching? I'll bet it's not The Young in Heart.

As far as carbs go, I've rebuilt the 2-Jet Rochester on my Olds about a billion times. I've also rebuilt several 1 barrel Rochesters for Corvairs, one time doing four carbs for the same car. Given the choice I'd take a Quad any day, as long as no one has fussed with the settings. That's pretty rare these days. The factory set them and they were good, then people who knew better than the factory reset them and they were bad. I have an Edelbrock version of the Quad on my white Suburban. It did pretty well when I was driving it. I don't have any idea how temperamental the ThermoQuad is on Chryslers.

Chris good for you getting extra parts with the car. I love spare parts. Come on, tell us about the furniture. It's your wife's next project, isn't it.

Okay gonna settle in for the evening. I've been off two days already and now time to start the weekend. I love it.

Old February 12th, 2021, 06:27 PM

The best I can come up w/ right now is the 7033744 is a CA emissions or high altitude carb which came off of a Buick. I might take a wild *** guess and suggest that carb was manufactured the 3rd month of 1967.
Norm - Again, thanks for your efforts. Alot of unknowns in this equation. The guy I bought the car from said that one of the carbs is original, the other was an extra picked up to canabilize for spare parts. I did not ask at the time, but I was assuming the original was the one on the original intake. But it makes sense the two are identical if he intended to use one for spare parts.

I don't know much about the history of the car other than it was built at the Framington plant and somehow ended up in Michigan. I do not know who the original sales dealer was. I decoded the cowl tag before buying the car and it was built the 4th week of June. It does have the TH400 auto tranny in it. It possibly being a California emissions carb seems suspect to me, only because it seems unlikely a guy in Michigan would find another exact California emissions carb to use for spare parts. Doesn't seem likely does it???
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:04 PM

Chris - Anything is possible - anything at all.

‘Malcolm & Marie’ is excellent.
Norm - Yep, anything is possible! Never planning on using either of them, but it is interesting trying to learn more about my car.

I'll have to look up 'Malcolm & Marie' to find out about the general plot. My wife and I watched a good movie last night titled 'The Dig'. It's a true story about a famous English archeological find and dig that occurred just as WWII was starting. I will say no more in case it's something you might be interested in. In undergrad I double majored in geology and anthropology. My favorite anthropology professor's name was Elizabeth Brumfiel, who at one time was the President of the American Anthropological Society, she was amazing. Her area of expertise was Aztec Culture and she had done alot of excavation at Teotihuacan. Not sure if I remembered how to spell that right?
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Carb 1 - Stamp on the green circle is 7027156.

Carb 2 - Stamp on the green circle is 7027156, the same as on Carb 1.
That is the carb number you are looking for.

Some of those other numbers are casting numbers for the sub-assembly pieces, such as the air horn, float bowl, throttle plate, etc.

Here's a site with info and parts for the 7027156 carburetor:

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumb...Number=7027156

Last edited by Fun71; February 12th, 2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 11:16 PM

Kenneth is right on the carb numbers. The 7027156 on the round pad is the identifier. It indicates usage for 1967 manual & auto trans cars. A7 is January 1967, F7 is June 1967. The two letter code identifies the assembly plant, which I do not have the info for.
Old February 13th, 2021, 04:58 AM

About 12 above this am a regular heat wave! Son and family came over last night for wifes birthday, we had a cake and played cards, good times!
Old February 13th, 2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That is the carb number you are looking for.

Some of those other numbers are casting numbers for the sub-assembly pieces, such as the air horn, float bowl, throttle plate, etc.

Here's a site with info and parts for the 7027156 carburetor:

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumb...Number=7027156
Kenneth - Thanks for the rsvp and site link, I'll check it out! I don't plan on using the carbs, but enjoy learning more about my car. I don't imagine the carbs would be worth much to anyone, but the intake might be (if not cracked) to someone who's trying to restore a period correct car. Although I didn't post the pics, I do have the exhaust manifolds too. Thanks again.
Old February 13th, 2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Kenneth is right on the carb numbers. The 7027156 on the round pad is the identifier. It indicates usage for 1967 manual & auto trans cars. A7 is January 1967, F7 is June 1967. The two letter code identifies the assembly plant, which I do not have the info for.
Dan - Thanks for the additional info on the carb dates, per code on the green circles. Just guessing the January carb is the original since the car was built in June. I'm guessing it would have been hard logistically to get a June built carb into a car that rolled off the line in June?
Old February 13th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Correct.

702 = 65-69 Federal Standard Stamping Number (All standard [federal] states except CA or high altitude)
7 = Last numerical digit of year of application (1967)
1 = Standard Smog rating (relative to CA emissions standards)
5 = Oldsmobile (Vehicle Manufacture Application Number); typical, but not always true
6 = Transmission Type (Even = Automatic); but, this is not always true

A7 (MY Production; M = Month, Y = Year)
A = January
7 = 1967

Follow-up to Dan's statement (assembly plant) regarding the plant code.
"The plant code is the most misunderstood of all. This code is NOT; repeat NOT the code for the plant producing the carburetor. The plant code is the code that was used by employees at each plant INSTEAD of the 7-digit part number. This plant code is similar in nature to the 2-character engine code, which is stamped on the front of the engine. These codes were used to minimize errors. The broadcast or build sheet that would accompany the engine down the assembly line would contain these various plant codes for a number of different accessories, including the carburetor. Each individual number carburetor will have a corresponding and unique (for that year) plant code. The plant code would be stamped on the tag of tagged original carburetors (see part number paragraph). On ORIGINAL carburetors with the stamped number on the bowl, the plant code will be stamped on the same pad as the part number. Most (not all) service dated replacement carburetors were not stamped with the plant code. One notable exception is 7037262 that seem to have plant codes even on much later dated carbs."

I can't see the plant code on your tag - I'll have to blow it up.

SOURCE: https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Ro...etmarkings.htm
Norm - Thanks for the additional info and link, much appreciated!
Old February 13th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Good morning guys,

Whew, I'm thanked out from thanking all you guys who provided great historical and technical info on those two carbs. I feel lucky that you guys are so knowledgeable about these cars and what resources have specific additional info, and that you're willing to take the time to share the information. Although I could always come back to this link, I have also saved the links to the carb site in my Oldsmobile folder for future quick reference.

Greg, got you beat this morning, it's 5 degrees at 0800, with windchill of -20, and light snow. They upped the snow forecast for tomorrow night into Monday morning to 4 to 8 inches. They are still forecasting lows of 0 and below tomorrow through Tuesday. It's going to be a frigid, fricking mess around here! Ugh!!!

Hope you all have a great day, and stay safe and warm if you're in the frigid zone!
Old February 13th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain and cold today. Good day to hop in the car and drive to Birmingham.

Good time at the Awful house. Some of the booths in the back of the building are not as spacious as the others, and my contention is the building was built too short. So they had to squeeze the back booths closer together to get them all in. I don't like sitting there but sometimes we have assigned seating and today it was there.

Well, gas went up again and so Jamesbo doesn't have to throw me out of here I'll just leave it at that. I may have messed up by not buying that VW pickup last week. It had sat for awhile but ran and it was way cheeper than any of the other VW pickups I've seen. There's a GMC pickup on the north side of the city that I like, but it's just an older version of the truck I already have. I really don't want two big trucks, but the purpose of this exercise is the diesel part. Maybe I'll call them on it this weekend.

So I'm meeting a guy from work at work and we're going to the World Of Wheels in Birmingham this afternoon. I haven't been to a car show in ages. WoW is always a good show.

Okay gonna split. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old February 13th, 2021, 08:51 AM

Chris, is your intake #390390? if so, it is correct for '66-67 442's including the '67 W30. Carbs for 442's bring a decent price, $3-400 for regular carbs like you have, over on FB forums, with "W" carbs hitting $4500 for an asking price.
Old February 13th, 2021, 09:16 AM

Here in Phoenix it's overcast with a chance of rain in the low country and snow up the hill. So watch out, this storm front is headed east and will likely make things interesting for y'all in a day or two.