The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2021, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I know you meant invasive...I am the spelling ****...if I said nothing Jamesbo would be disappointed. Can you spell Zamboni?
Yes I did, and yes you are. I believe if you were Catholic they'd paint a Swastika on your forehead instead of a cross for Ash Wednesday. No, I can't spell Zamboni, but I can spell Swastika! LoL
Old February 19th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Norm - Related to James post about what's going on with the way postings are being accessed/displayed, for awhile now I've noticed that when I first access this thread there is some data not displayed from the latest post. I only discover there is data missing when I access the same post at a later time (usually a short time later) and notice there is additional info there that did not display before. I think something funky is going on???
Old February 19th, 2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Gotcha, The Who is hotest took forever to load and NEVER went do to the latest post. I had to scroll thu all those women over and over jes to see the newest one
And that's his story, and he's sticking to it!
Old February 19th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man am I glad this week is over. It was a short week but a tough one. This morning my bad hip was acting up and was so bad I was almost in tears. But I don't complain about it because there's a guy I work next to who has two bad knees and walks like Frankenstein. The monster not the doctor. He pops pain pills like they are candy. I nearly wept one day when I saw him going up the stairs. So I don't say anything at work about pain because I know it's nothing like what he lives with. Anyway I'll be at my cushy desk job next week, for as long as I'm there anyway.

Chris you may be on to something. Evasive surgery. Would that be like non-surgery? Wasn't the mesh recalled some years ago? That's some warranty work I wouldn't look forward to.

Jamesbo I think there's an easier explanation than all that Norm-speak. If you access this forum from the "show all new posts" page it will take you to the top of whatever page you selected, or page 1 if you click on the title. If you go through the Clubhouse page you can click on "show last post" and it takes you to the latest post that's been made. Maybe that's what you're doing. Norm, in light of all this 'rona business, shouldn't the "handshake" be changed to the fist bump? By the way I think the fist bump is dumb. A gentleman shakes hands, that's all there is to it.

There's a car in the museum I'm a member of called the KRIT. The symbol on the radiator is the swastika. I think in 1909 it meant something about flowers or religion. It's one of the first cars you see when you enter the museum. Not a lot of years ago someone walked in and was offended that that car was there and wanted it removed. The museum basically told them to pound sand. It's actually a beautiful car and I've polished every inch of it. One time I took the very intricate headlamps apart to polish all the little brass pieces inside and the curator about had a stroke when he saw that. But alas I got them all back together and they looked stunning. Not sure I would have been invited back if I would have broken any of the beveled glass.

So my friend's husband(in Daytona) asked me if I was staying over tomorrow night. I hadn't considered it but if they want me to I will. So that will be nice. I don't get to see these people near enough. And it's way better than driving 6 plus hours each way for lunch.

Okay gonna take the dog to jail. I sure miss him when he isn't here. See you's later everyone.

Old February 19th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Chris - Basically for the same reasons I suggested to James. Additionally, don't forget sometimes you need to evaluate if there's been an "edit" to the post since sometimes folks make lots of edits and information which was there is no longer there or information which was not there previously contains far more information than originally existed. As an example, if you evaluate a moderator's posts. When a moderator makes changes to their own posts, the post is not updated with a "last edited by"; therefore, a moderator can continually make changes to their own post and it will never demonstrate their post was ever edited.
Norm - Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris you may be on to something. Evasive surgery. Would that be like non-surgery? Wasn't the mesh recalled some years ago? That's some warranty work I wouldn't look forward to.
Mike - I agree, "evasive" is the best type of surgery! You very well be right, but I never heard about a mesh recall??? Would be just my luck it's been found to cause major complications or cancer! In any case, it's been in there 25-years now and I don't see it coming out.
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah - I remember that mesh recall. It was involved in one particular brand if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't turn on a TV station w/o seeing a lawyer advertisement claiming you could be entitled to significant award damages....

https://www.drugwatch.com/hernia-mesh/recalls/
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:17 PM

Yeah - I remember that mesh recall. It was involved in one particular brand if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't turn on a TV station w/o seeing a lawyer advertisement claiming you could be entitled to significant award damages....

https://www.drugwatch.com/hernia-mesh/recalls/
Norm - Very interesting. Mine was definitely well prior to 2005. I think they must have made my patch out of surgical stainless steel, LoL, since it still seems to be doing it's job nicely.
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I think they must have made my patch out of surgical stainless steel...
You make it through the metal detectors w/o sending off the alarms?
Old February 19th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Jeff

I'm currently 3 1/2 months removed from my 3rd lower inguinal hernia (with mesh) repair. Two direct repairs (SUCK), one laparoscopic (quick 2 week recovery). Better than having my guts fall out, get strangulated, and get sepsis, right?

Norm: side note, I've been wanting to call that "turkey" out for his posts and signature line for months. Good on ya, mate.
Old February 19th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
I'm currently 3 1/2 months removed from my 3rd lower inguinal hernia (with mesh) repair. Two direct repairs (SUCK), one laparoscopic (quick 2 week recovery). Better than having my guts fall out, get strangulated, and get sepsis, right?
Norm: side note, I've been wanting to call that "turkey" out for his posts and signature line for months. Good on ya, mate.
Jeff - Wow, how unfortunate on your hernia repairs. Yeah, sepsis would suck large donkey!
Yeah, his signature line is complete B.S. and someone should have said something long ago. It is unwarranted.
Old February 19th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Jeff

Genetic weakness in the connective tissue. Right side was repaired first, but was the worst recovery. There is a bundle of nerves that runs right past the area, down the front of the leg. The internal swelling or scar tissue was touching those nerves for a couple of weeks, and was pretty agonizing. Painkillers wouldn't touch it, nerve block injections would only provide about 30 minutes of relief. The other side was a partial repair 10 years ago, and the rest of it decided to blow out a couple of years later. I put this surgery off probably at least 6 years or more, knowing that they would likely have to do a direct repair again. Thankfully, recovery nowhere near as bad as surgery #1. Should be set forever, now.

There is another guy on that thread that is the person most likely to get a thread closed for his politics, too (I wonder if he was voted that in high school?). I just don't understand how and why people can let politics occupy their thoughts so much.

I better let the topic go before I get this thread in trouble.
Old February 19th, 2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Jeff - Wow, you've sure been through the wringer with the hernia repairs. Hope you never have to go through another one!
Old February 19th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Always room for one more

Well I'm sad now, Tiger is in jail. The house is so quiet. Much more so than when Tiger is here and not making noise.

Chris maybe your patch is made out of aircraft aluminum. Bucked rivets with the proper edge distance. Jeff good luck with all that. If it's genetic does that mean others in your family have gone through this?

Was a fairly nice day. The sun was out but I don't think it got over 50. Gonna be cold tonight, in the 20s. But then warm up. I like the cold weather about as much as I like rain.

Guess I'll hit the sack. Going to leave very early tomorrow, the drive to Daytona is 6+ hours and lunch is at 1230. Hope everyone has a good weekend. See you's when I get back.

Old February 19th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Have a nice trip.
Old February 20th, 2021, 02:40 AM

Safe travels Mike

Norm, I noticed you posted some about the virus. What is your take on "Herd Immunity"?

Inquiring minds

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old February 20th, 2021, 06:25 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - I'm sure you're well on your way already, but have fun and be safe!

I slept in this morning until 0730. The sun's shining brightly, and a relative heatwave at 14. Not sure of the projected high, but we're supposed to get above freezing today for the 1st time in well over a week.

The buyer of my wife's table, table leaf, and chairs set is coming this afternoon to pick it up.. She finished the latest piece she's been working on, a chest-of-drawers, and posted it for sale last night for $100. She got it for free. As she got into the refinishing process she noticed the wood in the drawer fronts had some unique colors in them, so she l left them natural colored. I will just say the overall appearance of the piece is unique, and will probably need just the right buyer to come along that has some other gray furniture to go along with it.

I wish I could get my taxes done but I'm still waiting on a 1099-DIV from our brokerage firm, they're always the last one's to get us the final piece of the puzzle to file. Since I've retired I've been trying to tweak the amounts of federal and state withholdings to maximize our net take home, while getting to a net balance of zero owed or refunded at tax time. I'm hoping I've got to that point this year.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 20th, 2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I noticed you posted some about the virus. What is your take on "Herd Immunity"?
Anyone can lookup Herd Immunity and find good information on Wikipedia and other reliable sources. As always, you have to be suspect of information you read via the Internet regarding anything you read including that which is contained in Wikipedia, but the information contained in Wikipedia is correct regarding Herd (Population) Immunity.

Mass inoculation with the current SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibody directed towards the current SARS-CoV-2 will definitely assist in a rapid infiltration of herd immunity to the population - there's no scientific doubt about that. Herd (Population) immunity will rapidly evolve and will save many, many (perhaps tens of thousands) lives. I guess from my perspective and the perspective of the scientific community is to what effect will the current vaccine curtail the general overall reduction of severe illness and death regarding variants of SARS-CoV-2? The current SARS-CoV-2 appears quite virulent - will other variants of SARS-CoV-2 demonstrate the same virulence? The jury is still out with regards to other variants. If we can develop population immunity towards the current SARS-CoV-2 the population will benefit enormously. Will we need to develop vaccines directed towards other SARS-CoV-2 variants? That's where the jury is still out. There exists thousands of viruses (perhaps hundreds of thousands) which attack the human body. There exists millions of viruses which attack all forms of life. These events only become significant when they manifest themselves by causing illness/disease - so, obviously those are the ones of importance. Organisms fight off these attacks on a minute-by-minute basis with absolutely no regard towards illness/disease - it's the normal function of the immune system - and, there is no compelling reason to catalogue bacteria & viruses which do not cause illness/disease.

So, in a nutshell. We will develop population immunity towards the current SARS-CoV-2 at a very rapid pace with a widespread inoculation of the current SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,

Mike - I'm sure you're well on your way already, but have fun and be safe!

I slept in this morning until 0730. The sun's shining brightly, and a relative heatwave at 14. Not sure of the projected high, but we're supposed to get above freezing today for the 1st time in well over a week.

The buyer of my wife's table, table leaf, and chairs set is coming this afternoon to pick it up.. She finished the latest piece she's been working on, a chest-of-drawers, and posted it for sale last night for $100. She got it for free. As she got into the refinishing process she noticed the wood in the drawer fronts had some unique colors in them, so she l left them natural colored. I will just say the overall appearance of the piece is unique, and will probably need just the right buyer to come along that has some other gray furniture to go along with it.

I wish I could get my taxes done but I'm still waiting on a 1099-DIV from our brokerage firm, they're always the last one's to get us the final piece of the puzzle to file. Since I've retired I've been trying to tweak the amounts of federal and state withholdings to maximize our net take home, while getting to a net balance of zero owed or refunded at tax time. I'm hoping I've got to that point this year.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Chris, I remember one year when we sent in our return and afterwards we got another form. They are all supposed to be sent by end of February but this one was late. Had to send in a revision or something, a royal PIA. Since then I don't file until middle of March.
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I remember one year when we sent in our return and afterwards we got another form. They are all supposed to be sent by end of February but this one was late. Had to send in a revision or something, a royal PIA. Since then I don't file until middle of March.
Yes, it takes those brokerages awhile to get their accounting in order and get everything sent out. I finally got smarter and started calling my broker to find out exactly how many documents I had coming, what they were, and when I should expect them. Taxes are a PIA anyway, it would be even worse to have to file a correction.
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:58 AM
Running On Empty

I completed my tax forms 02/01/21. They were submitted 02/11/21. Federal was accepted 02/12/21, state was accepted 02/15/21. I have been using TurboTax for I suspect 30 years - I think it was the first year Intuit created TurboTax.

Chris - I'm like you, right before retirement, I was very careful to examine where my investments resided - all of which I have invested with Fidelity under a 401K. So, I was careful to monitor & track my investment "buckets". I have no pension (well, I have one tiny pension which can buy food for about one week) - but I only have a 401K. I'm down to a net zero "income" and a net zero tax balance. Having the right buckets and knowing how/when to mover/transfer and withdraw funds from those buckets has been paramount for me.
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Greg ,
My children some times say to me when restoring/refurbishing pieces "dad you know you could just paint that and save some time"
the grain and coloring of those drawers is exactly why I tell them no !! It's all about the grain !! tell the wife nice job !!!
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Chris - I'm like you, right before retirement, I was very careful to examine where my investments resided - all of which I have invested with Fidelity under a 401K. So, I was careful to monitor & track my investment "buckets". I have no pension (well, I have one tiny pension which can buy food for about one week) - but I only have a 401K. I'm down to a net zero "income" and a net zero tax balance. Having the right buckets and knowing how/when to mover/transfer and withdraw funds from those buckets has been paramount for me.
Norm - I am fortunate that I have a nice Govt. pension and took advantage of the Govt. Thrift Savings Plan while I was working. Putting as much as the Govt. would allow me to into that savings plan did not leave me with much additional disposable income to invest elsewhere until I got my girls out of college. My Mom had increasing dementia during the last few years of her life, so as her financial Power of Attorney I found myself regulary working with her broker, who's with Raymond James, to manage and eventually settle her estate. I was so impressed with the lady who was her broker, I asked her to help me start investing in the private sector, even though she is 500-miles away in Michigan, and I never see her in person. You're absolutely right that it's critical to know all the ins and outs of when, and from what types of accounts you should draw from. Not being a financial wizard myself, this lady I use as my broker and financial advisor has been a godsend, and as a financial fiduciary I know she is looking out for my best interests.
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by solly
Greg ,
My children some times say to me when restoring/refurbishing pieces "dad you know you could just paint that and save some time"
the grain and coloring of those drawers is exactly why I tell them no !! It's all about the grain !! tell the wife nice job !!!
Solly - Exactly. Although I never cared for the look of antique-finished furniture when I was younger, antiquing furniture was one of my Mom's most fulfilling hobbies - she'd hit garage sales every week bringing home furniture & filling up the garage. She actually did a fantastic job of antiquing. It really wasn't until I was older I began to appreciate the look of antiquing.
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by solly
Greg ,
Solly - This is Chris, don't know how your comment about my wife's furniture got associated with Greg, but I'll pass on your nice compliment. She regularly says just what you did, "It's all about the grain!" I don't know if you saw them or not, but if you go back just a few days I posted 4 or 5 pics of the table and 4 chairs she recently finished and just sold. They were her best effort to date and are extremely pretty. They sold in less than 24-hours!
Old February 20th, 2021, 09:36 AM
Running On Empty

Savings and pensions bring back very early childhood memories. Dad worked for Illinois Bell Telephone Company, essentially AT&T/Bell Laboratories/Lucent Industries (Ma Bell) in terms of stocks/savings portfolios. We were not a white-collar family, very blue-collar straight middle-class income. Dad's 1st home was purchased from the WWI GI bill. Mom paid all of the bills, wrote all of the checks, and itemized every dollar every month. Dad came home one day with a large table-top adding machine (you'd call it) they were selling as a used piece of equipment; Mom was delighted to have this large gnarly machine to add up the bills, etc. Every month (as a kid) I'd watch Mom & Dad sit at the kitchen table discussing/talking/arguing about the "bills", etc. It was then I began asking questions about what is a savings bond, what is a pension, etc. Fond memories.
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Norm - Not too many of those "fond memories" for me, more of those finance discussions were on the argument side for me. I loved my Mom to death, but she had a propensity for living beyond her means, mainly furniture and other home furnishings. My Dad couldn't give a ****, and used to get so aggravated when they couldn't make ends meet at the end of the month because my Mom had bought more crap than they could really afford. I guess the one really good thing that came from that turmoil was I knew I was never going to purchase a damn thing I couldn't afford to pay for.
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - My Mom operated at the other extreme - her butt cheeks squeaked when she walked. Dad, the bread winner in the family, had the absolute patience of a saint. OMG, if he wanted a new set of tires, a rototiller, a garden hose, etc. this all needed to pass through Mom first - which, honestly, was the best thing for the family and Dad, in particular. Dad had a propensity for impromptu flavorful spending - Mom kept him in check, which while at times irked his annoyance, he overwhelmingly understood what it took to maintain a great marriage and piece of mind w/in the family. I believe I never saw Mom & Dad get into a fight (I don't mean physically - that NEVER would have happened), but I mean a true screaming & yelling match - it never happened in our family. The worse-case scenario was ALWAYS the silent treatment from Mom. All of us know exactly what it means to get the silent treatment - I think my Mom invented it! Dad would succumb and say to us boys - let's go out to the garage, where Dad would begin popping a couple beers while asking us boys - What's the matter w/ your mother? Why can't she, why does she, etc. I'll tell you, while she was strict they were one of the most loving/caring parent combinations. Many of my friends would run to our house when their own families were berating the dickens out of each other. Mom even doled out Dad's weekly poker game and bowling night allowances. If he ever requested more money which might reduce their ability to purchase an AT&T stock share or a monthly savings bond it became the fuel which started a fire. He learned never to ask!
Old February 20th, 2021, 11:21 AM

Norm - There was no doubt my folks loved one another, and sure loved their kids. Things got better later in life, due to both more income and my mother curbing her appetite for "things" to some degree. I was lucky to have the parents and childhood I had. You never have to look very far to find those who had, or have, it much worse. I thank my lucky stars every day!
Old February 20th, 2021, 02:49 PM

Met with the electrician about adding lights and outlets to ye ole boat house

In keeping to try to make my "new" boat House look older, I had a few of theses laying around from an old demo. We're gonna use them on the interior lights

Old February 20th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

James - I love that style overhanging light fixture. While I can't recall seeing many (if any) inside homes, there were plenty in nearly every barn & saloon I've ever been inside. Good choice.
Old February 20th, 2021, 03:49 PM

James - I love those old style fixtures, great re-purposing idea!
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:07 PM

Good evening guys, well sort of?

It was a nice day until I got done with my workout this afternoon. When I got done my wife came up to me and said I've got some bad news.. She led me out to the garage and pointed out a spot in the ceiling from a leaking roof. Luckily the two spots were not over the 442 or my motorcycles and there did not look like there was an imminent possibility of the drywall collapsing.. it was not leaking through the drywall into the interior of the garage. I threw some warmer clothes on and got up on the roof, and there is valley between the single bay portion of the garage and the main roof that is primarily hidden from the sun for most of the day. That valley had collected a bunch of snow and the first thing I did was shovel that off.. Then I noticed an ice dam had developed at one portion of the valley crease that was holding up water from draining off. I then got a hammer and broke the ice dam up, it was pretty extensive. Seems like it might have done the trick because we can't hear it dripping any longer onto the ceiling of the garage. Hoping that will at least eliminate any further damage until I can get someone out to look at it. Just glad the weather is warming up, but we're supposed to get some rain tomorrow. Just praying the rain doesn't make things worse at this point. Ugh, the joys of home ownership. Being up on roofs is not my idea of fun!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

Ice dams - those little frozen creepers. They can lift one or a series of shingles quite easily. They’re tough to fix in the dead of winter without retaining knowledge and a visualization of exactly where it/they occurred. Most often they’re repaired in the spring and often only need to (re)apply roofing cement/asphalt to the shingle tabs which lifted as the result of the water freezing and expanding when the ice formed to lift the tabs &/or shingles. What most folks will do in the dead of winter is keep an eye out where it formed, take a garden hose liberally spray that area when snow accumulates in that area so the water will run off instead of freezing when snow melts and freezes. IOW, remove the snow with a garden hose.
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Running On Empty

The ice dams form UNDER the snow as it melts then refreezes. You never seen them until they’ve formed.
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:36 PM

Norm - I can believe it would be hard to fix until Spring. Like I said, were supposed to get rain tomorrow and we'll see how it fairs. If there is no more leaking I will probably try to get by until Spring. If the leaking starts again I'll probably have to have someone try to at least shore the immediate area up until Spring. The roof is the 15-year old original and is probably due for a full replacement.
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

It won’t leak if it rains is my bet. Just like as I said if you remove snowfall from that area with a hose the water will cascade downwards. The water will normally cascade down the roof. When an ice dam forms, the melting snow occurs as water on the bottom layer of snow. If this bottom layer of water freezes in a particular area with ice &/or snow ahead of that water (e.g. downslope of the water which is starting to freeze), that water which is trapped then freezes, lifts the shingle(s) and causes the water above to back (move) up the roof line under the shingle. So, wash that area down with a garden hose during the winter if snow accumulates and you expect another freeze. Just get rid of the snow in that area during the winter - water is the fastest way to do that.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 20th, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old February 20th, 2021, 05:38 PM

Norm - Thanks for the tip on using the water to keep the trough area clear. I wanted to ask you another roofing question before I do something stupid. If it doesn't leak tomorrow, when it's sunny and 45 Monday, would it be worth my while as a precaution to seal the very bottom crease between the two roof pitches with an inch wide thin layer of clear silicone caulk, or would I just be throwing money away and potentially make things worse?
Old February 20th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I really can’t offer an opinion w/o witnessing the area. IMO, best case is to keep that area free from snow and you shouldn’t have any issues. A layer of silicone might exacerbate the issue it may not. People with serious issues in the dead of winter sometimes resort to either ice pellets to melt the snow or sometimes roof blankets (they make several types which you can plug in). I doubt you’ll have any issues at all if it rains and the snow melts. Just keep the snow from melting and refreezing in that area. The best way to do that is to remove the snow entirely so it doesn’t melt and refreeze in that area.
Old February 20th, 2021, 06:22 PM

Norm - Thanks for your opinion. I'm going to let it be for now and see how it does. We've got mid-40's coming Monday, and supposedly 58 on Tuesday, then mid to high-40's the rest of next week. Hopefully that will be the end of any heavy snow this year.

You know I said I was waiting on one tax doc to do my taxes, well it came today. Guess I'll be starting in on those tomorrow. Thanks again.