The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm going to suspect the vinyl is modestly thick - at least it's thick enough you've been tugging & pulling on it and it hasn't ripped or the snaps haven't given way. There are several options you can try - basically in any order you feel the most comfortable.
(1) Boil enough water to fill a container with the boiling water & a deflector. A five gallon bucket works great. Place then entire deflector in the very hot water. The vinyl will become quite pliable and much easier to install.
(2) Use a heat gun, obviously from a slight distance, and warm the vinyl.
(3) Place the deflectors into the oven around 150°F - they're not going to burn up - you just want to uniformly warm them up.
(4) Place them in direct sunlight for an extended period of time if it's still warm enough where you are.

My preference is the hot water immersion. It uniformly heats the entire deflector and makes the entire deflector pliable. The water will not hurt the vinyl and readily evaporates.
Norm - Thank you, all good suggestions. I'm going to try the hot water immersion the next time I give it a go. The vinyl is very thick, and it was unseasonably cool here today so the vinyl was hard to stretch. I don't think it got above 65. I'll let you know how it goes when I try again.. Going to need to try again soon because it's just going to keep getting cooler..

Well my buddy I was going to ride with on Wednesday canceled on me today.. Apparently his wife has been experiencing Covid symptoms and her doctor wants her to get tested but can't get her in until Wednesday.. If she has it,, good chance he does too. Don't want any part of that!

Hope everyone has a nice evening!
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Oh sad day... Put away the Olds for another winter nap. Lotsa moth *****, remove battery and put in basement. It's really a bummer, but a normal fall ritual...
Greg - Always a sad day when you have to put away the toys. I'm fortunate in St. Louis that that time does not come for me until the end of November. I'm also fortunate that we have several nicer days in Dec. thru Mar. when it's sunny and no snow in the driveway, so I leave the battery in mine on a trickle charger, that way I can start it up on a nice day and pull it out into the driveway to let it warm up and blow any moisture out.
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Oh sad day... Put away the Olds for another winter nap. Lotsa moth *****, remove battery and put in basement. It's really a bummer, but a normal fall ritual...
Is it fall? I hadn't noticed. So I just looked at the back porch thermometer and sure enough, it's only 98º, so I guess it is fall.
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:09 PM

I talk to many people who live in the town of Havelock directly up the road from me ~20 miles. It is the home of MCAS Cherry Point. Over the past 20 years I have resided here, I have not met one single person either native or otherwise who knows the meaning of a Havelock.

Game has returned to normal = 80
Norm - Factoid of the day. Havelock is one of eight cities in the world named after Sir Henry Havelock, a British officer in India, who distinguished himself in 1857 during what was known as the Indian Mutiny. (Wikipedia) Now when you run into someone from Havelock you can tell them who their city is named after.
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:36 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Actually, the term "Havelock" is what I was making reference to, as opposed to the person, per se. The actual covering was (supposedly) named after Sir Henry Havelock. Unfortunately, the residents of Havelock, NC doubtfully give a rat's A$$ about the history of their city, it's origins or otherwise. They're primarily a bunch of rednecks, who should be wearing a havelock.
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:50 PM

Chris - Actually, the term "Havelock" is what I was making reference to, as opposed to the person, per se. The actual covering was (supposedly) named after Sir Henry Havelock. Unfortunately, the residents of Havelock, NC doubtfully give a rat's A$$ about the history of their city, it's origins or otherwise. They're primarily a bunch of rednecks, who should be wearing a havelock.
Norm - I thought you were saying most residents didn't know where the name of their city originated from. I actually was not familiar with the term havelock and had to look it up.
Old September 28th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Running On Empty

I talk to many people who live in the town of Havelock directly up the road from me ~20 miles. It is the home of MCAS Cherry Point. Over the past 20 years I have resided here, I have not met one single person either native or otherwise who knows the meaning of a Havelock.
Chris - I could probably have phrased my statement differently - it was subtle. "...who knows the meaning of a Havelock."

I probably should have said who knows what a havelock is.
Old September 29th, 2020, 01:30 AM

Most interesting. This thread can be a real learning experience. I had no idea [until I googled it] what a Havelock was . So the Japanese had them during WW II. I'm fairly certain it was Arthur Treacher on the old Merv Griffin show that explained to me [and his audience] what a antimacassar was, Now Norm further educates this cracker with another new word.

I may toss it around when the opportunity arises.
My all time favorite words are Eleemosynary and allelomimetic

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:36 AM
Running On Empty

James - I had to look up antimacassar - never heard of it. Then, I had to look up macassar oil which I never heard of - A Lil' Dab'll Do Ya? Then I had to look up Eleemosynary - that's a messed up word. I get an A+ for figuring out what allelomimetic meant since I have a background in genetics and took some ethology courses. The macassar antimacassar relationship is oddly interesting.
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:46 AM

Norm, I'm trying to remember the word Jung had for mob/riot mentality. But it kinda reminds me of allelomemtic Let's keep doing this cause everyone else is and the leaders keep leading cause everyone else is following

end of pseudo political rant
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:48 AM

Ken, I have been watching your posts about the hot weather there in Phoenix. WOW!! Well I guess we all have weather issues we don't like. I always thought I would like to be in Arizona cuz of the hot/dry weather but not that HOT!!! I complain about the we cool weather here and or course the long winters. But at least no huge wildfires or hurricanes! Wife and I went thru Phoenix on our big cross country trip in 2017. That was in April/May and was nice then and a beautiful place!
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:08 AM
Running On Empty

James - I have no idea regarding Jung. I know both Jung and Freud has much larger brains than me!
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:11 AM

I'll bet cha a dime to a doughnut, they could play a decent round of golf
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:51 AM

Good morning guys,
Wow, this thread has truly evolved into "Mr. Murphy's Neighborhood" (Jame's video) with all the million dollar words. I've spent all morning looking them all up just so I wouldn't be the biggest dumb#!% in the group, or maybe looking them all up makes me the biggest dumb#!% in the group? I do feel smarter though! Have a great day.
Old September 29th, 2020, 06:08 AM
Running On Empty

Old September 29th, 2020, 06:17 AM

And then, there's the world's longest song title:
"I'm a cranky old Yank, in a clanky old tank, on the streets of Yokohama, with my Honolulu momma, doing those beat-o, beat-o, flat on my seat-o, Hirohito blues" (Hoagy Carmichael, 1942)
Old September 29th, 2020, 07:06 AM

Speaking of Hoagy Carmichael , True story

I was in the gallery at the state capitol when the legislature changed the 'Official " state song to "Georgia' Ray Charles came to play it and they got ole Hoagy on a speaker call. He [jokingly ] said, I love it that ya'll changed the song to my song Georgia" I love the royalties

Yep, in the infinite wisdom of the state legislature, no one had thought of the fact that they had to pay royalties to ole Hoagy every time the put his song and 100,000 kids note books
Old September 29th, 2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Speaking of Hoagy Carmichael , True story

I was in the gallery at the state capitol when the legislature changed the 'Official " state song to "Georgia' Ray Charles came to play it and they got ole Hoagy on a speaker call. He [jokingly ] said, I love it that ya'll changed the song to my song Georgia" I love the royalties

Yep, in the infinite wisdom of the state legislature, no one had thought of the fact that they had to pay royalties to ole Hoagy every time the put his song and 100,00 kids note books
James - That is a great story, love it!
Old September 29th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I have a couple favorite words of my own. Bromochlorodifluoromethane and gastrocnemius. Norm why did you need a degree in genetics to figure out the giving of alms?

Was a good day at work. The other guy didn't sign a wheel that he let through, and when it was found out, he tried to pass it off on me. I happen to look at my wheels and the one that didn't get signed off was not a number I had seen. So he cooked up some scheme where we'd take turns signing everything off. I wasn't having it. I don't sign for his slipshod work.

Rained today, not sure when it started. It's nice out now, although cool. I gotta do something about that stupid Mercedes. The passenger floor fills up with water when it rains, and I don't think it's the top leaking. The computer boxes for the fuel injection are at the front of the floor, and if they get flooded then it's bye-bye running car. I need to go out with the garden hose and see where the leak is.

Hump Day tomorrow. If I were at my desk this week I think the week would be over by now. This throwing big rim halves around is like the health club from hell.

Think I'll hit the sack early. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 29th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The giving of alms? I'm assuming that's a particular form of allelomimetic behavior? To address your question though, I don't need a degree in genetics to figure out the term allelomimetic, it just so happens with a degree in genetics and courses in ethology (animal behavior) I could easily put a definition to allelomimetic. Alleles in genetics (allele, singular) is a gene. Somatic cells in animals are diploid (there are two alleles for every gene) - one allele is inherited from the male and the other allele is inherited from the female. An allele is an alternative gene - one contained on each of the two chromosomes of every somatic cell in an animal's body (except gametes e.g. X & Y chromosomes). Mimetic is derived from mimic. Add the two together and it was easy to figure out allelomimetic behavior was copy-cat behavior.
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Always room for one more

Ah, I'm sorry Norm, I got my big words confused. I didn't realize you were referring to allelomimetic, I thought you were talking about eleemosynary. All these words look like a monkey banging on a typewriter to me.

So I was telling a friend of mine at work about the Saturn and he said he had a similar experience with a Chevy Cobalt. He said the cable ran to the top of the trans and maybe I could see it from under the hood. Said it took him only a few minutes to fix it. So I looked under the hood and what do you know, there is the cable and the shifter right there in front of God and Country. I believe I can get the repair kit from the parts store. Way better than having it towed off somewhere. I oughta buy that guy lunch.

​​​​​​​

Old September 29th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Ah, I'm sorry Norm, I got my big words confused. I didn't realize you were referring to allelomimetic, I thought you were talking about eleemosynary.​​​​​​​
Mike - You do know you shouldn't snort [Bromochlorodifluoromethane] that stuff right?
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Ya probably not a good idea.

Old September 29th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I hope you get the Saturn figured out, although I looked and I can't see anywhere where you described the problem. Some type of shift kit might fix it?
Old September 29th, 2020, 04:58 PM

So I was telling a friend of mine at work about the Saturn and he said he had a similar experience with a Chevy Cobalt. He said the cable ran to the top of the trans and maybe I could see it from under the hood. Said it took him only a few minutes to fix it. So I looked under the hood and what do you know, there is the cable and the shifter right there in front of God and Country. I believe I can get the repair kit from the parts store. Way better than having it towed off somewhere. I oughta buy that guy lunch.
Mike - Glad it looks like you might have an easier and certainly cheaper fix for the Saturn. Also good on you for not letting the other guy run a scam to pass off his shoddy work!

Got my truck back from the shop today after having all the repairs needed to pass state inspections. Already have been able to renew the plates for 2-years online,, and they'll mail me the renewal stickers..

Tweaked my back today and right now I'm getting up and down off the couch like a 90-year old.. It's a chronic issue, I don't have to be lifting something heavy for it to happen, just move wrong. Degenerative disks in my lower back make it easy to pinch a nerve back there. Luckily I can tell this is a mild one, should be feeling better in a day or two. Like many say, it ain't the age, it's the mileage, and I've got about 300K miles on this body. Hope eveyone has a great evening!
Old September 29th, 2020, 10:33 PM

Degenerative disks in my lower back
In the same boat, and it sucks..
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:34 AM

Some days it's a cry'in shame we can't be political

Oh well,

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:41 AM
Running On Empty

Rules are rules, James....

Old September 30th, 2020, 03:52 AM

Maybe this thread should be re-titled "What part is this"
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:02 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Maybe this thread should be re-titled "What part is this"
I've seen several recent threads recently asking someone to identify this part, what is this part, where does this part go, does anyone have one of these?
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:39 AM

Well Norm it is 'Hump day" so why not post a few.........................................
Old September 30th, 2020, 05:02 AM

Oh Wow. Good Morning. Those pics brought up a old not so familiar feeling. Maybe I'm not as old as I think! Hmmmm....
Old September 30th, 2020, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
In the same boat, and it sucks..
Misery loves company.

However, Norm's and Jame's pictoral therapy session sure has done wonders for my back this morning!
Old September 30th, 2020, 05:21 AM

They say, "There are only 2 things that always tell the truth, Kids and yoga pants "
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

This afternoon after work I had the thought, I haven't tinkered on the blue Valiant in awhile. So I went over to the shop and just as I was going to pull the cover off it, here comes a Preying Mantis ambling across the roof with a bumble bee in his pinchers. I shooed him towards the back and took the front of the cover off, messed around in the interior a little, and when I went to put the cover back on, that guy was munching on that bumble to beat the band. Pretty cool watching him actually. Maybe not for the bee.

Isn't, "Misery Loves Company" a state motto?

Norm the shift cable came off of the shifter levers on top of the transmission. A bushing set sits inside a clevis and the levers snap into the bushings. The problem was the bushings fail and the levers come unattached and the transmission won't shift into any other gear than what it was in when it broke. In my instance, it was reverse. It was a recall about 6 years ago, that my Mother had taken care of. Oddly enough, the car was 6 years old. So that tells me after I fix it this weekend I have another 6 years until it breaks again. Maybe I'll get two kits and just keep the other one handy.

Work was okay. The washer was broke for over two hours right after lunch, so we didn't get all our wheels spun. The front got their number which is good, but we'll be doing double duty in the morning. That's okay. My workwith was back from vacation, but had other things to do so that other guy was supposed to still help me. Nope, he said he wouldn't since Fred was back. I said, Fred isn't helping because he's doing something for the foreman. Too bad. So I worked by myself for the first three and a half hours(which is what the other guy refuses to do) and my workwith Fred happened to walk past and said, Johnny's not helping? You're by yourself? I'll come help in a minute. The lead is getting an earful tomorrow and when he doesn't do anything about it I'm going to the foreman. This **** is stupid.

Okay! It's beautiful out and I might go out in the back yard for a little while. Have a good evening everyone.

Old September 30th, 2020, 04:33 PM

Work was okay. The washer was broke for over two hours right after lunch, so we didn't get all our wheels spun. The front got their number which is good, but we'll be doing double duty in the morning. That's okay. My workwith was back from vacation, but had other things to do so that other guy was supposed to still help me. Nope, he said he wouldn't since Fred was back. I said, Fred isn't helping because he's doing something for the foreman. Too bad. So I worked by myself for the first three and a half hours(which is what the other guy refuses to do) and my workwith Fred happened to walk past and said, Johnny's not helping? You're by yourself? I'll come help in a minute. The lead is getting an earful tomorrow and when he doesn't do anything about it I'm going to the foreman. This **** is stupid.

Okay! It's beautiful out and I might go out in the back yard for a little while. Have a good evening everyone.
Mike - Sorry your work situation is such a downer much of the time. Hope you can find something more to your liking in the future.

Pretty slow around here today. Uncle Joe he was moving kinda slow at the Junction with his achy back! Went with momma to Wally World to get about 5 items and came home with 30. I was as bad as my wife, picking out several sweet snacks that included a six pack of bakery jelly donuts, a raspberry/blackberry/blueberry pie, 3 giant Hershey chocolate bars with almonds, and two tubs of caramel dip for the apples we're going to pick on Saturday. Going to have to dial up the workout regimen with all those goodies in the house!

Looking forward to going to a cruise-in on Friday evening. On Saturday morning we're meeting my youngest daughter's family at a large orchard in Belleville, Illinois to pick apples and chase the little ones around in the corn maze. Should be a good time, we're in a really nice stretch of early fall weather.

I hope everyone had a good day and has a relaxing evening.
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:44 PM

A couple years ago I noticed a lil green mantis on my Jalapeno plant in the garden. I was happy to see him guarding the plant from those bugs who wanted to deprive me of my hot peppers. He and I got along well all season, then I didn't see him the next year.
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
A couple years ago I noticed a lil green mantis on my Jalapeno plant in the garden. I was happy to see him guarding the plant from those bugs who wanted to deprive me of my hot peppers. He and I got along well all season, then I didn't see him the next year.
The males make a great meal for the females after they've had their way with the males. Good for nothing wenches.
Old September 30th, 2020, 06:24 PM

Hi guys,
Thought I was done posting for the day, but want to share a picture with you that has a nice story behind it. There have been multiple 1st responder deaths in the St. Louis area recently and our local "Backstoppers" organization is running a funding drive to support the affected families. You can purchase decorative blue lights for your home to show your support for 1st responders and help the families who've lost loved ones. This was a no brainer for me because my oldest daughter's husband is a firefighter/paramedic. We ordered 4 bulbs and they came today. Thought it made the house look pretty cool!

Old September 30th, 2020, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...decorative blue lights...
Nice