The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2023, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, we aren't a small business, global in fact. We have tightwad owners. We have a piece of equipment that we bought a year ago for our dept. $250k for it, haven't seen it yet as they don't want to pay the installation costs. Remember, shareholders first.
Hope you get well and feel better soon. I thought it was a law to provide so many medical paid hours off for these types of matters, hang in there.

Keith
Old December 19th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Thanks, Keith.
Old December 19th, 2023, 07:01 AM

Wow, guess I was really tired or the warm bed felt good cause I slept in until 0830, and I never sleep that late. Only 21° at 0900, but suppossed to warm to 40° with bright sunshine. No big plans for today other than staying warm.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 19th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It is beautiful out. Just walked past the roll up door and it's been locked open. Of course it's cold as a mother. That's okay, the sun being out helps immensely.

Been a good day at work. We had a high number, then the number got lowered and all of a sudden we were finished. People have been cleaning up so we can have a clean place for a meal tomorrow.

Think I'll get my ears lowered after work. And that's about how exciting I am today.

Hope everyone is well.

Old December 19th, 2023, 01:17 PM
Running On Empty

two more days!!!
Old December 19th, 2023, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
two more days!!!
OK, I'm stumped, unless it's your b-day?
Old December 19th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
OK, I'm stumped, unless it's your b-day?
More daylight, Chris....I want more, give me more.
Old December 19th, 2023, 01:34 PM

More daylight, Chris....I want more, give me more.
Agree 100% 👍
Old December 19th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Always room for one more

It's funny, the daylight stays longer between 30 seconds to two minutes a day only but after a couple weeks it really is noticeable. Visual progress for sure.

Reading all the back pages of the thread is like reading my diary. I posted what was going on in my life, and at work, and I actually remember a lot of it. It sounds like my dogs were a giant pain in the ***, but they really weren't, it just sounds like it. My work, on the other hand, sounded horrible and it was.

I must be in a car frenzy. I thought I had talked myself out of that car in California, but it's actually getting easier and easier to figure it out. I know I need to go to Daytona to get my friend's car that she doesn't want anymore, and now I've found a convertible that I'd really like to have as a daily driver. It's in Asheville. Hey Norm, you want to go look at it for me, it's only 3 hours from you He's closer to you than he is to me, by about a half hour.

Friday for me tomorrow. It remains to be seen for how long. I put in for the four days next week, but the lead didn't answer my email by the time we left. We're also having lunch, but no one seems to know what it's going to be. It's probably gonna be pizza.

Okay almost time for MASH. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 19th, 2023, 03:30 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hey Norm, you want to go look at it for me, it's only 3 hours from you He's closer to you than he is to me, by about a half hour.
Mike - I might consider helping you out if it weren't for the fact Asheville is 6 hours 30 minutes from my house - not 3 hours.
Old December 20th, 2023, 02:42 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hump Day/Friday for me. The lead thinks he's funny waiting to approve my time off till the last minute. That's okay, I'll give him grief all day until he does it.

Norm you better tell Mapquest that your farther from Asheville. I put in your town and it said 3 hours and some minutes. Besides, I wouldn't really ask you to drive 3 hours to see this car. Plus I don't have any golf *****.

Lots of people came in for overtime and it looks like a lot of wheels have been signed off. That will help get us out a few minutes early this afternoon. We left right at 2 yesterday, I was amazed.

Okay gotta get set up for the day. Hope everyone is well.

Old December 20th, 2023, 03:51 AM
Running On Empty

Norm you better tell Mapquest that your farther from Asheville. I put in your town and it said 3 hours and some minutes. Besides, I wouldn't really ask you to drive 3 hours to see this car. Plus I don't have any golf *****.
Mike - Hate to disappoint, both Mapquest & Google show the same amount of time - 6 hrs 20 minutes. Besides, I know for a fact how long it takes me to both ride my motorcycle and drive my truck to Asheville, NC. The Biltmore is a pleasant visit while in Asheville - a small country chateau nestled in the Smoky Mtns.

Old December 20th, 2023, 04:29 AM
Running On Empty

I have a room/home humidifier which began making noises last year before I put it in storage for the summer months. Imagine this - it's still making the same noises.
The noise (like a clicking) yields a cadence with the fan in each fan position; so, I'll be attempting removal of the fan this morning.
Old December 20th, 2023, 05:31 AM

NORM sorry storage didn't fix it
Old December 20th, 2023, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I hear ya. Got the covers removed, removed the fan (blades) which are attached to the electric motor. I can't hear any clicking from either the fan or the motor (w/ no current applied). There is one micro-switch would might be suspect. I'm not certain exactly how it functions at this point in time. I'll look up the motor by part number and see if it's replaceable & at what cost. Then, based upon cost/availability, I'll check continuity on the micro-switch & make a decision if I move forward attempting a repair or call it TU.
Old December 20th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Running On Empty

Two part numbers on motor (embossed on the transformer) - neither one or the other listed anywhere & no cross-references anywhere. No manufacture name anywhere on the motor. Switch continuity good. Hmmmm....now, I'm annoyed. I can't sleep &/or listen to this clicking when it's operative. It cycles ON/OFF based on humidity level I select. Frick'n buggers. It's a labyrinth of wires to route, make connections back to circuit board, then reassemble. Hmmmm....exactly how much enjoyment can I obtain from repairing this thing? Perhaps, I'll get out several calculators & perform a complete cost/benefit analysis...good for maybe another 3-4 hours of my time.

Maybe Mike will buy me a new one for Christmas if I head to Asheville? I found several basic types of motors in the $55-$65 price range - none are compatible w/ this unit. The humidifier retails for $220 & it's a good one. Date stamp on the transformer = 2017.03.15. I think that roughly coincides w/ the time period of my purchase (fall 2017). I got five years of use from it - each year for ~3mos. - 4mos. Say 4mos/yr X 5yrs = 20 months = $10/month. $10/30days = $0.33/day. Cost/Benefit analysis complete.
Old December 20th, 2023, 09:13 AM

NORM BY THE HOUR You d be better off flipping burgers at McDonalds
Old December 20th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm going to drive over to fill out an application. New humidifier has been ordered.
Old December 20th, 2023, 01:03 PM

New humidifier has been ordered.
FWIW, probably a wise choice.
Old December 20th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
FWIW, probably a wise choice.
It was the only logical choice. Ordered today & received notice it's already shipped.
Old December 20th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Pretty day here for Winter, sunny and low 50's. Don't know what's up with me, slept in again this morning, not quite as late as yesterday, but still didn't get up until 0800. Very unusual for me.

Haven't done squat today other than my lifting workout (M-W-F), and tending to the dogs needs as my wife has embarked on more home improvements. She has already changed the colors in the master bath again (cabinets and walls) and has started on painting the hallway to the bedrooms, and will eventually paint the greatroom, entry foyer, dining room and kitchen the same off-white she repainted the master bath. All these rooms were originally a very pale yellow. More power to her, and she insists she wants to do it herself, although I keep offering to help. I'll post some pics when some areas are completely done.

Just curious, if any of you feel like sharing, what you guys set your thermostats at during the winter, day/overnight if they differ? We set ours at 70° during the day and turn it down to 67° overnight.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Old December 20th, 2023, 01:35 PM

It was the only logical choice. Ordered today & received notice it's already shipped.
Good deal, you won't be without for long! 👍
Old December 20th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

I set my thermostat to 70°F day & night. Bear in mind though, while my home has an excellent HVAC (11 years) system w/ relatively all new duct work (11 years), my home is 89 years of age. I have no insulation in the exterior walls, I have insulation on the attic floor & the attic (roof) ceiling, all of my walls are lath and plaster & my HVAC duct work traverses via the enclosed crawlspace. My crawlspace is not open, it is closed, but it is not a controlled environment crawlspace.
Old December 20th, 2023, 02:12 PM

I set my thermostat to 70°F day & night.
Thanks Norm. While we set the furnace thermostat to 70° during the day, we shut the doors to all 3 of the bedrooms and run the gas fireplace all day which keeps the greatroom toasty, and the peripheral kitchen and dining rooms comfortable because the entire area is pretty open. Also, running the gas fireplace keeps it warm enough to keep the main furnace from kicking on at all unless it gets down into the low 30's. I've found this strategy for keeping the main living area at 70° or above saves energy consumption versus running the main furnace. Of course the bedroom is cold when we go to bed, but that's just more comfortable sleeping.
Old December 20th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Running On Empty

As fall more closely begins to settle into a more steady winter, I'll actually turn my thermostat down to 67°F @ night & 69°F daytime for the next several months thru March.
Old December 20th, 2023, 03:33 PM

As fall more closely begins to settle into a more steady winter, I'll actually turn my thermostat down to 67°F @ night & 69°F daytime for the next several months thru March.
Pretty damn close to our routine!
Old December 20th, 2023, 03:59 PM

When Maggie lays between my legs on the reclining couch she loves to tuck her muzzle into the cuff of my pants leg. She's just too damned cute when she does it!

Old December 20th, 2023, 04:29 PM

No one will hear it in the Man cave as long as the hopper fills up with Wa Wa.

Those older ones are a big Kwh sync RunRunRun shity power factor adds ups on the ole Kwh bill from the Power Company.

Wise choice weed hopper
Old December 20th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
No one will hear it in the Man cave as long as the hopper fills up with Wa Wa.
Keith - Suggesting I sleep in the man-cave?
Old December 20th, 2023, 05:49 PM
Always room for one more

I keep my thermostat at 68 day and night. I used to keep it at 70 but that got to be too warm. I could turn it down at night since my bed is heated to 100. I want the dog to be comfortable as well so I leave it.

Work went fine today. The overtime guys got tons of wheels done and we finished before lunch. Today was our meal and I have to say it was rather interesting for a department meal. Chicken wings and fish. I'm not a big one for chicken wings so I had a couple pieces of fish. It was some sort of breaded white fish, and of course french fries. It wasn't terrific but okay. We sat around until 2 and went home. That's it for me for the week, I'm off Thursday and Friday and we're all off Monday.

Norm after scrutinizing the very small print on your picture I found the problem. I put in the wrong town. I may head out that way the next weekend.

So I was looking at the wrong calendar when I thought there was only one person off. I asked the lead if he saw my email, he said yes he deleted it. Hm? He said there were too many people off already. So I said, I'm disappointed that you didn't think enough of me to even let me know. I wouldn't have put in for the time if I thought there were that many people off. He didn't know just what to say. I made a face and went back to my desk.

Tomorrow Mom and I are headed to lunch with some rather awesome people. Saturday I'm going to Daytona. Tuesday I go back to work.

The first ever Green Acres is on tonight. First time I'll have seen it. Maybe they'll show Oliver's 1965 Lincoln.

Old December 20th, 2023, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

Norm after scrutinizing the very small print on your picture I found the problem. I put in the wrong town. I may head out that way the next weekend.
Clueless what you're talking about. The font size is not very small print, but eh...if you think it is, so be it.
Old December 20th, 2023, 07:20 PM

I keep my thermostat at 68 day and night. I used to keep it at 70 but that got to be too warm. I could turn it down at night since my bed is heated to 100. I want the dog to be comfortable as well so I leave it.
. . .
So I said, I'm disappointed that you didn't think enough of me to even let me know. I wouldn't have put in for the time if I thought there were that many people off. He didn't know just what to say. I made a face and went back to my desk.
Mike - Thanks for answering my question about where you keep your thermostat set at. If it were only up to me I'd keep mine at 68 too, but then my wife would be complaining every 5-minutes that she's cold. 70 is as low as I can set mine without too much static.

That Lead is an absolute jerk for just deleting your email and not even responding to your request, even if you had looked at the wrong calendar. Someone that pulls that kind of $hit doesn't deserve to be in any level of leadership, period. Just my two cents!
Old December 21st, 2023, 02:42 AM

Heading NORTE to have some lunch with some awesome people.
Old December 21st, 2023, 02:45 AM

Talking

Keith - Suggesting I sleep in the man-cave?
I miss read, thought you were talking about a portable de-humidifier. That one could have been used in the shop, the new quiet one in the home.
Old December 21st, 2023, 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - What's on the lunch menu?
Keith - New humidifier arrives tomorrow. The old one is going in the man-cave for sure - stored for parts in the new humidifier's shipping box.
Old December 21st, 2023, 03:48 AM

Fried chickens Greens cornbread sweet tatershttps://www.dillardhouse.com/restaurant/

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 21st, 2023 at 03:51 AM.
Old December 21st, 2023, 03:59 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Fried chickens Greens cornbread sweet taters
Oh yeah...
Old December 21st, 2023, 04:11 AM

I set my heat at 68 from 8 am to 10 pm and 65 from 10-8. Wifey complains sometimes and I turn up to 70. Chris, usually gas fire places are not even close to the effiency of newer 90+ furnaces. So you may actually use more gas heating your main living area. We have a gas FP but never gets used unless people are over for ambiance, whatever. Anyway, the way our house is set up, the bedroom we sleep in is warmer, so during night when set at 65 it is cool in kitchen, etc but maybe even a little warm in bedroom with covers, etc. I think that some people turn heat down too far and may actually use more gas heating things back up in the day, Heating the furniture, etc. We used to have discussions about that when I worked for the gas utility- never did get a definitive answer- probably depends on many individual factors.
Old December 21st, 2023, 05:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I think that some people turn heat down too far and may actually use more gas heating things back up in the day, Heating the furniture, etc. We used to have discussions about that when I worked for the gas utility- never did get a definitive answer- probably depends on many individual factors.
Greg - Agree. Without getting technical regarding heat capacity &/or heat transfer coefficients, heating a home can be likened to a refrigerator &/or freezer. The more items you have in the refrigerator/freezer, the greater its efficiency. Look at two homes of the exact same space (volume - not square feet), the more furniture, carpeting, drapery, etc. the greater the retention of heat. Air is the absolute worst transfer of heat and the least capable of retaining heat. Water has the highest heat capacity of any molecule on the planet - it will hold heat longer than any other molecule. It takes longer to heat water, but once heated, it retains heat longer. Exactly same as the difference in heating iron vs. aluminum. Takes more energy to heat iron but iron retains its heat far, far longer than aluminum. Always some tradeoffs.
Old December 21st, 2023, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I set my heat at 68 from 8 am to 10 pm and 65 from 10-8. Wifey complains sometimes and I turn up to 70. Chris, usually gas fire places are not even close to the effiency of newer 90+ furnaces. So you may actually use more gas heating your main living area.
Greg - Thanks for answering my question of where you set your thermostat in the winter. I was sure someone in the group would question the efficiency of using the gas fireplace to heat just the main living area versus heating the whole house with the main furnace. I questioned it myself, and before we started using this strategy all the time, I conducted two tests, one in January and one in February several years ago. In each test, our gas consumption using the gas fireplace to heat just the main living area consumed less than prior years, I know this because I had the records from previous years. Maybe my tests were flawed because it just so happened that the months I did the tests were warmer than prior years, I really don't know for sure. Maybe I'll try the test/s again this January and February and get new data?