The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2023, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Always save room for dessert...

Man, you're killing me! I did not do as well over Christmas weekend at controlling my weight as I did over Thanksgiving. My wife baked Christmas cookies for 3 days before Christmas to give to each family member. She made chocolate chips, peanut butter with the Hershey's chocolate kisses on top,, gooey butter cookies, oatmeal craisin, and traditional frosted sugar cookies. In total she baked 18 dozen cookies, and I probably sampled a dozen! So I'm trying to cut back till I'm back on track!
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

One of my neighbors made a ton of BIG homemade chocolate pecan turtles. She brought me a dozen fresh turtles on Sunday ~10:00AM as she was heading to the store for more baking chocolate. Three in the afternoon she texts me asking if I want more. Five minutes later she's at my place with another dozen - she made twelve dozen.
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
A very good series. Hard to stop watching once you start. There are two follow up series, The Pacific, and Masters of The Air. Masters of The Air, will be on Apple+ which sucks for me. Actor Dexter Fletcher, from Band of Brothers, is now a director, and was a producer and director on Bohemian Rhapsody, and directed Rocketman.
Dan - Thanks. Next on the agenda for me this evening.
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:18 PM

Old December 26th, 2023, 06:21 PM

One of my neighbors made a ton of BIG homemade chocolate pecan turtles.
Sweet neighbor! I love turtles, you hit the mother lode!
Old December 26th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I'm going to have nightmares...
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow start to work, not like yesterday. I hope it picks up because I like leaving at 2.

Question for the learned. Once a battery starts chirping in a smoke detector, does that mean it is used up or just reached a point the smoke detector thinks is enough? I hate to throw away the battery from the detector if it still has a useful life. To that end, I got a couple 9 volts from Mom's that probably are smoke detector takeouts. If I put them in they will probably chirp right away. I'd hate for that to happen when I was at work because it makes Tiger go berserk.

Gonna clean out the garage this afternoon in anticipation of the convertible coming over. In typical Mike fashion, it's been sitting out on the driveway with a cover over it for years I think. If I can get it into the garage I can start working on it, and it needs to get off the driveway at Mom's. My neighbor the hot rodder said he'd help me with it, ie he'll bring his trailer and move it for me.

Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old December 27th, 2023, 05:59 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - In my experience, nearly always it's been a weak (used up) battery. Maybe once or twice I had to buy a new smoke detector - there's a date on the back or inside.
Old December 27th, 2023, 06:07 AM

Chic fil a chicken biscuits
Old December 27th, 2023, 06:18 AM

Yes when they chirp needs new battery. Like Norm said there is a date on them. Used to be 7 years was the age should be replaced. My house has 4 of them- all tied together. When we moved in they were way outdated. I was surprised how cheap a set of 4 costs at Home Depot. Prolly need to be replaced again....
Old December 27th, 2023, 07:18 AM

Mike - In my experience, nearly always it's been a weak (used up) battery. Maybe once or twice I had to buy a new smoke detector - there's a date on the back or inside.
x2, think about it for a second, is it worth potentially driving Tiger crazy if it only works for a short time and starts chirping while you're gone, or wakes you up in the middle of the night? Just sayin???
Old December 27th, 2023, 08:14 AM

Good morning guys,

Cool (40°) and rain, supposed to rain on and off all day. Just plain fugly outside. No big plans and nothing exciting going on. Hope you guys have a great day!
Old December 27th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Mike, as you know the battery is low, but is it used up and useless? You asked does it have the ability to power something else. That depends upon the something else.
A flashlight would operate dimly until the battery was completely drained.
Dunno what else would operate on a lower voltage. Your old transistor AM radio maybe?
Old December 27th, 2023, 08:55 AM
Always room for one more

You're right guys, since I don't have anything else that uses a 9v they all get tossed in the trash. Seems I can go to the tool room and get a new one for nuthin' so that's what I'm gonna do.

Again, I ask the question. A German Shepherd can crush anything in his mouth or tackle anything with a flying leap, so why does a little chirp send him into fits?

I signed 27 wheels before lunch, and we are on track to finish early. I'll take it. Although 24 minutes after lunch ended and I still have yet to get my next wheel.

I think a walk down to the roll up door is in order. Supposed to be nice out.

Old December 27th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Again, I ask the question. A German Shepherd can crush anything in his mouth or tackle anything with a flying leap, so why does a little chirp send him into fits?
I don't the exact answer to your question, but I must be part canine because that sound drives me bonkers, as well.
Old December 27th, 2023, 11:05 AM

Greetings all hope your holidays were great:
We got some painting done on our 55 Chevy truck.

Only had one minor disaster when I stepped on the airline and sent the paint gun to the ground but I finally get to see what my interior accent color looks like with the main body color.

So one quart of paint did the interior walls and ceiling of the cab and the inside of the doors with mostly three coats. Needing to do both sides of the massive hood and the front of th bed and back of cab and inside and outside of the bed I think I’m going to order two additional gallons of the 35 studebaker blue.

Last edited by mattking; December 27th, 2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old December 27th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattking
Greetings all hope your holidays were great:
We got some painting done on our 55 Chevy truck.

I think I’m going to order two additional gallons of the 35 studebaker blue.
Matt - I love that blue, it looks like a deep aqua in the pic, and the beige goes great with it! 👍
Old December 27th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Matt - I love that blue, it looks like a deep aqua in the pic, and the beige goes great with it! 👍
^^x2^^
Love that combination and the deepness of each color - really nice.
Old December 27th, 2023, 01:30 PM

It's been snowing big ol flakes for awhile now, but it's just starting to stick on the raised surfaces, the ground is way too warm.
Old December 27th, 2023, 01:57 PM

It took a long time to locate that color. My in-laws were at the Studebaker museum and took a picture of a 35 President, mostly because they thought my wife would like the color. I was able to track the owner of the car down, but he did not know the color. We searched old color chip pages from 1929 to 1939 online but there were so many that could have been it. We are on the studebaker forums and everyone was so helpful, but color is subjective. Anyhow we narrowed it down to one color we thought it was. I Went to English Color, and they are so cool and helpful, but the computer and the books did not go back that far. As I was walking out a guy came running from the back and said he found it in a different computer they don't use anymore. When we sprayed the inside of the cab we knew we nailed it. Anyhow. it had become a thing to track it down. Overtime my wife and I look at it, we both say it is our favorite color of all time. The beige is off the shelf Wimbledon white from summit racing....
Old December 27th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

Band Of Brothers: EP 4
Old December 27th, 2023, 02:34 PM

LT Sobeli a very interesting villain/hero
Old December 27th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Chris are those the houses behind you that you sent us pictures of when they first started? Looks muddy.

Mom made real lasagna for our supper. Oh yummy. She likes the store lasagna because it's so easy, but nothing beats Mom's homemade lasagna.

Old December 27th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

Controversial
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Chris are those the houses behind you that you sent us pictures of when they first started? Looks muddy.

Mom made real lasagna for our supper. Oh yummy. She likes the store lasagna because it's so easy, but nothing beats Mom's homemade lasagna.
Mike - Yep, those are 2 of the 3. The 3rd one (1st one built) is to the left of the grey one in the picture, and it has recently sold and will be occupied soon. The tan one in the picture has also been sold and the owners had hoped to move in by Christmas, but they don't look very close to being done. You're correct it is very, very muddy. They will sod the fronts of both, but probably only seed the sides and backs, so they'll probably be muddy for a long time. They seeded and strawed the 1st one that was done many months ago and I don't see any grass growing over there.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 27th, 2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Controversial
Tough but his training saved lives HIs biggest problem was map reading. Possibly dyslexia
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Tough but his training saved lives HIs biggest problem was map reading. Possibly dyslexia
I don't know. It's been said he lacked spatial awareness & good decision making. Evidently it's true he initiated court martial proceedings for a soldier who failed to carry out orders for latrine inspections? Court marital proceedings for failure to inspect latrines? I would not have gotten along w/ him based on his style of training. IMO, there are other means to garner the respect & discipline of men under your command - but, to each their own, I guess. When the majority of your subordinates outright hate you & they sign letters to resign their ranks, I'm sorry - you have an issue w/ leadership/command. I had a tech/drill sergeant in basic training who wasn't much dissimilar to Sobel. I'm loving the portrayal of the events which unfolded in Band Of Brothers. Really, really well produced & directed.
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:37 PM

Thumbs up

It took a long time to locate that color. My in-laws were at the Studebaker museum and took a picture of a 35 President, mostly because they thought my wife would like the color. I was able to track the owner of the car down, but he did not know the color. We searched old color chip pages from 1929 to 1939 online but there were so many that could have been it. We are on the studebaker forums and everyone was so helpful, but color is subjective. Anyhow we narrowed it down to one color we thought it was. I Went to English Color, and they are so cool and helpful, but the computer and the books did not go back that far. As I was walking out a guy came running from the back and said he found it in a different computer they don't use anymore. When we sprayed the inside of the cab we knew we nailed it. Anyhow. it had become a thing to track it down. Overtime my wife and I look at it, we both say it is our favorite color of all time. The beige is off the shelf Wimbledon white from summit racing....
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing the progress. Happy you have it just so and well in hand.

I like the stories of folks here that bring the vision of what they have in mind to fruission. Reminds me too of Greg Rogers with his 50's Ford paint project and how wonderful it came together.

Keep up with the posts of progress as your life has the the time to do so.
Again thanks for sharing.
Old December 27th, 2023, 04:56 PM

I don't the exact answer to your question, but I must be part canine because that sound drives me bonkers, as well.
Mike I do not have a direct answer either.

With my experience I can say, with the German Shepherds I have been with and trained will be the fact that they are a "working dog".
I believe that means, ...
Hey Papa something is different I am letting you know.
My response with them is always positive no matter what, Thanks for letting me know.

How things can progress from that varies.

Depends on the alert, how much I appreciate the alert, and how long I want the alert. After that shut it down with a gentle thank you . Thats enough, If it continues then correct with Shut the f$%^k uP That enough! ( Shepherds will puush the issue) You are thankful for the alert but that job is done. Redirect to a new job... Go find it...! Toss a ball or chewey they want to go find...

Old December 27th, 2023, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by otto72

Keith - Beautiful dog! Truly man's and woman's best friend!
Old December 27th, 2023, 05:51 PM

Tough breed. Genetics run true. Can not be changed, only groomed.

You being an owner of strong temperament genetic breed dogs knows.

Cant live without....Pass the Beer Nuts
Old December 27th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Tough breed. Genetics run true. Can not be changed, only groomed.

You being an owner of strong temperament genetic breed dogs knows.

Cant live without....Pass the Beer Nuts
Truer words were never spoken!
Old December 27th, 2023, 09:00 PM

I had a friend in school with a beautiful girlfriend who made excellent lasagna. He didn’t like cheese, I dunno maybe lactose intolerant? Whatever, who doesn’t like lasagna? She traded me a lasagna dinner for working on her washing machine. I wanted to steal her from him. I mean, anyone who doesn’t like lasagna doesn’t deserve a beautiful lasagna making goddess, right?

Old December 28th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Always room for one more

Such a sweet puppy! Looks like a sable. When the smoke detector chirps he doesn't really give me a signal that something is different, he's actually frightened. One of life's mysteries I guess.

Kenneth no court in the land would convict you. It must not have been an issue for her otherwise she would have left him anyway.

Day three out of four. I want to go look at that car in North Carolina but am having trouble finding the time. At 3 hours each way it will be an all day affair. Not having this week off really has put a damper on things. Saturday I'm going to Florida. Sunday is Walmart day. Monday is a holiday. I might end up taking a day off next week and going up there and just be back by the time I'd be off work.

Lots of people came in for overtime this morning. I was not one of them. Quite a few wheels have been built already so I hope that means a 2oclock departure this afternoon. Don't really have any plans for this afternoon but I like not being here.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old December 28th, 2023, 04:21 AM

Matt, that door looks excellent! Such a joy when things come together aint it?
Old December 28th, 2023, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Matt, that door looks excellent! Such a joy when things come together aint it?
I hate doing body work, and Im just learning, but man.... paint may be the biggest change you can make to a project.
I have all new parts for those doors. It is a huge pile of parts just to put some windows in.
Im alternating energy between the truck and my 64
Old December 28th, 2023, 07:17 AM

Im alternating energy between the truck and my 64
Whew, 2 major projects going at the same time, you sir, are a glutton for punishment! Good luck with both!
Old December 28th, 2023, 07:56 AM

Mike - Here's a pic with all 3 of the new construction homes in view. They were constructed in order from L-R in the pic.

Old December 28th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Running On Empty

Sorta damp, overcast w/ moderate temp. ~59°F & 9mph winds. Received a proper soaking of ~3" rain yesterday. Toss out more deer corn then a tee-time @ 12:30PM.
Old December 28th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Sorta damp, overcast w/ moderate temp. ~59°F & 9mph winds. Received a proper soaking of ~3" rain yesterday. Toss out more deer corn then a tee-time @ 12:30PM.
Chilly (38°), overcast, and damp here at 1020. No more rain/snow in the forecast for today, but it's not supposed to get above 42°, pretty typical for this time of year. No big plans around here today. Might take Momma out for dinner if she wants, but she's pretty engaged with her interior painting project. I've offered several times to help, but she says it's her joy, so more power to her.