The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2020, 09:16 AM

I installed a new Master cylinder on my Toronado. The new one is still a single reservoir, but it has a bleeder on the front. Brakes feel as good as ever, I also went for a cruise to run the tank empty before putting in some fresh ethanol free premium. Its getting close to hibernation time for vintage cars around here.
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:17 PM

Well summer has not loosened its grip on us yet. Typically the temp drops around the third week of October, almost like someone flips a switch and the heat is turned off. But until then ...

Old September 26th, 2020, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

I’m certain I don’t envy your electric bill, Kenneth.
Old September 26th, 2020, 05:16 PM

Good evening guys,
Norm - How was your golf game today?
Our trip to the zoo was nice, sunny and low 80's. The kids really seemed to enjoy it. My 7-year old grandson Gabe wanted to see everything, so grandma and grandpa took him to several additional exhibits while my daughters rested with the 2-year olds. We walked pretty consistently for 3-hours. Pretty pooped but it was worth it to see them having fun outdoors after so many places have been closed down all summer.
Hope everyone is having a relaxing evening.
Old September 26th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good evening guys,
Norm - How was your golf game today?
Score=83, meh. Gorgeous day. Tee time 8:59AM tomorrow.
Old September 26th, 2020, 05:51 PM
Always room for one more

Beautiful evening out. A little humid but light clouds, not bad.

Had a look at the Mercedes A arm mounts today. No cracks. That's good, but the correct thing to do is put in the fix anyway. Looked it up, well past my capabilities. Not sure the car is worth all the hassle if there's no problem.

CW for years I've rebuilt all my master cylinders. Until last year I tried to rebuild the mc on the Vista Cruiser. I got it back together and still wouldn't bleed the back brakes. Had it apart and back together several times, each time I'd get the little plastic washers in a different order. I eventually thought that was the problem. I believe the problem is the proportioning valve slider has moved to cut off fluid to the back. Anyway, I'm going to get a new master since I don't trust that the parts are correct inside, nor can they be at this point.

Norm I thought the lower the score the better in golf. Eighty-three is not low enough? Are you using left handed clubs?

Old September 26th, 2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Score=83, meh. Gorgeous day. Tee time 8:59AM tomorrow.
I'd take an 83 any day and twice on Sunday. Better shooting tomorrow!
Old September 26th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Running On Empty

I am not worthy!

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I thought the lower the score the better in golf. Eighty-three is not low enough? Are you using left handed clubs?
Mike & Chris - I might use some left-handed clubs tomorrow!

My game was fair; albeit, meh. My average score over my most recent 21 games = 82. Par = 72; therefore, I've been shooting on average 10 over par.
My CH (Course Handicap) from the white tees = 6. Which means I should be playing +6 to par, or 78. My most recent 10 games have been 80, 79, 79, 83, 77, 81, 79, 83, 79, 77 (avg. = 79.7). My CH is determined from the average of my 10 lowest scores of my 20 most recent scores.
I was hoping to play a better game. I need to start more relaxed. It seems it takes me about 5-6 holes to figure out I am not Dustin Johnson! I need to play more like Fred Couples.
Old September 26th, 2020, 07:00 PM

Mike & Chris - I might use some left-handed clubs tomorrow!

My game was fair; albeit, meh. My average score over my most recent 21 games = 82. Par = 72; therefore, I've been shooting on average 10 over par.
My CH (Course Handicap) from the white tees = 6. Which means I should be playing +6 to par, or 78. My most recent 10 games have been 80, 79, 79, 83, 77, 81, 79, 83, 79, 77 (avg. = 79.7). My CH is determined from the average of my 10 lowest scores of my 20 most recent scores.
I was hoping to play a better game. I need to start more relaxed. It seems it takes me about 5-6 holes to figure out I am not Dustin Johnson! I need to play more like Fred Couples.
Norm - I wish I could play that well. I couldn't touch those scores, even when I played quite a bit, and was 20-years younger. I was however the same as you in that I would usually play better after the first 4 or 5 holes. I know exactly what you mean about too much nervous energy.. My short game always gave me fits, especially my sand play which was always an adventure!
Old September 26th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Well, they were off on the weather forecast, hit 69° not the 80° that they were predicting. The guy that was supposed to cut down my yews, never showed up or called. so I'll have to find someone else.
Old September 27th, 2020, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I didn't realize the guy was supposed to cut down yews, since you previously had only mentioned someone was going to take care of some brush. Yews have a very interesting history from soft bows, to lutes & poison yew tinctures. Did the guy know he was going to be cutting down yews?

Tee time 8:59AM. Slow down Norm - slow down.
Old September 27th, 2020, 07:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Sunny-ish, not hot. Things seem to be unusually damp. Must be humid.

Gotta figure out this Saturn today. Apparently this was an issue some years ago and there was a recall done. I don't remember my Mom taking the car in for that, I'll have to ask her. She probably won't remember. She drove that car for 11 years and when I had it at her house this last time, she said, oh I've never seen that car before. I said Mom, this is YOUR car. Oh.

Not much else. I'll worry about other things when the car is sorted. Walmart this afternoon, yay. Norm good luck on the links.

Have a great day everyone.

Old September 27th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Good morning guys,
Mike - Good luck getting your Saturn fixed.

Bright blue sky and 73 out right now, it's supposed to get up to around 82. Just got done changing the oil and filter in our daily driver, a 2016 AWD Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. It's been a good car so far. I actually get about 25 mpg around town and almost 30 mpg on the highway. I've always thought that was pretty good for having AWD on demand, and as roomy as it is.

Not sure what else I'm going to do today yet. It's so nice out I hate to waste the day by not getting out on one of my bikes or taking the car out while I still can. Would like to watch a little football, my favorite sport, but I haven't looked to see who's going to be on the tv yet.. My wife's busy with her refinishing project, so I'm as free as a bird right now. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 27th, 2020, 09:20 AM

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...50&FORM=VDRVRV
Old September 27th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Always room for one more

You know Jamesbo, I got called out on account of your tie once.

So it's Saturn 1, Mike 0 . Crawled under and I couldn't see jack. According to the NHTSA website my car has 0 open recalls. I'm going to call GM tomorrow and see if it was actually taken care of. So it's Dogmobile to work in the morning. I'm not going to mess with this. I'll have it hooked to a garage if I have to fix it, or to whatever GM place around here does Saturn.

So for the rest of the day, I'll paint trim and clean off my desk. Sounds fun. See ya.

Old September 27th, 2020, 09:47 AM

You know Jamesbo, I got called out on account of your tie once.

Sorry Mike, I don't understand
Old September 27th, 2020, 12:59 PM

Hi guys,
Finally decided I'd take the 442 out for a spin just cruising around locally for about and hour and a half. Beautiful out, and just cool enough to stay comfortable with the windows down. It was a nice drive. From riding my bikes I've determined that 45 mph is the magic speed. If your keep the vehicle under 45 mph, you hardly have any bug splatter to clean up, seems to work well with the car too. I didn't want to spend hours cleaning bug grime when I got home so I made sure I took it easy. There's another car show close by next weekend and one the weekend after that, I'm hoping to make it to both if the weather's nice.

I have to take my truck in tomorrow mornimg for all the repair work it needs to pass the state inspection. He said they'd only need it two days, guess we'll see. Riding on Wednesday with a good friend from work who was a groomsman in our wedding. We're probably going all the way to Arkansas again, but via a different route. The most scenic riding is south and southwest of St. Louis. It starts getting much more rolling and rural not far from our house.
Well I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend and great week!
Old September 27th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Running On Empty

I played like hammered whale $HIT, the diarrheic rusty nuggets of *** ham from a whale. What a day. Argh.
Old September 27th, 2020, 03:19 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old September 27th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Exactly my day...
Old September 27th, 2020, 04:25 PM

I played like hammered whale $HIT, the diarrheic rusty nuggets of *** ham from a whale. What a day. Argh.
With a description like that, it must have been really ugly. Were you hearing "You can't always get what you want" blaring in your ears? Good thing is tomorrow is another day, and another game!
Old September 27th, 2020, 04:31 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old September 27th, 2020, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

With a description like that, it must have been really ugly.
Chris - I nearly whiffed my tee-shot on two separate holes. I chose my description carefully to ensure absolutely no one might think I gained any enjoyment from my pathetic display of hacker golf.
Old September 27th, 2020, 05:21 PM
Running On Empty

I found the lumber yard on one occasion today. My three wood almost followed the ball to the same lumber yard.
Old September 27th, 2020, 06:02 PM

I found the lumber yard on one occasion today. My three wood almost followed the ball to the same lumber yard.
Norm - I was teeing off one day on a hole with a huge lake that started only 20 yards in front of the tee box. After my 4th tee shot found the water, I let my driver fly. I couldn't throw my driver any better than I could hit my tee shot, it missed going in the lake by about a foot, fitting right.
Old September 27th, 2020, 06:04 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - I was teeing off one day on a hole with a huge lake that started only 20 yards in front of the tee box. After my 4th tee shot found the water, I let my driver fly. I couldn't throw my driver any better than I could hit my tee shot, it missed going in the lake by about a foot, fitting right.
Now that's funny right there!
Old September 27th, 2020, 09:37 PM

Norm, I told him when I called, so he knew. He called today while I was at work. If he would have showed up on Saturday, it would have been dry, but now thew forecast is rain for most of the week. Mike, what's the problem with the Saturn? Dream, I have a '17 Santa Fe Sport. Normally aspirated 2.4L. My mileage is about the same, if I behave, and keep the speed @ around 70mph it'll get 29-30 mpg. With mixed rural two lane and highway, I can get 31-32 mpg. I am going to see what the Santa Cruz truck is going to cost when it comes out, and if it will have a V-6. I may consider buying one.
Old September 28th, 2020, 02:12 AM

Now that's funny right there!

X 2, Sounds like a John Daley or Sergio performance

Chris, I need to sell you golf ***** . When you're lying 8 from the tee it's time to move on NOT re load.

I can't afford to toss a $300.00 driver in the drink

Norm, No question, it's a humbling game

Some days ya jes have ta "Be the Ball"

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:47 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I can't afford to toss a $300.00 driver in the drink Norm, No question, it's a humbling game.
James - I can't afford to toss any club into the drink and honestly I'm not the type who rants, whines, moans, curses, and tosses clubs around on any missed shot. Those who act in this manner drive me nuts. Seriously, no amateur golfer is good enough to behave in that manner.
Old September 28th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, I told him when I called, so he knew. He called today while I was at work. If he would have showed up on Saturday, it would have been dry, but now thew forecast is rain for most of the week. Mike, what's the problem with the Saturn? Dream, I have a '17 Santa Fe Sport. Normally aspirated 2.4L. My mileage is about the same, if I behave, and keep the speed @ around 70mph it'll get 29-30 mpg. With mixed rural two lane and highway, I can get 31-32 mpg. I am going to see what the Santa Cruz truck is going to cost when it comes out, and if it will have a V-6. I may consider buying one.
Dan - My 2016 Santa Fe has the 2.4L in it also. I'm getting the exact mileage figures you're quoting. They're nice vehicles for the money and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old September 28th, 2020, 05:36 AM

X 2, Sounds like a John Daley or Sergio performance

Chris, I need to sell you golf ***** . When you're lying 8 from the tee it's time to move on NOT re load.

Have a great day Olds friends
James - That was the only time I ever lost it on the course. What can say, it was a "Tin Cup" moment. Pride and then frustration got the better of me.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 28th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old September 28th, 2020, 09:26 AM

Norm, Chris, I'm not judging y'all. You can do as you please as far as I'm concerned

Chris, I may have axed you if I could play through after the 3rd wet ball
Old September 28th, 2020, 10:02 AM

Norm, Chris, I'm not judging y'all. You can do as you please as far as I'm concerned

Chris, I may have axed you if I could play through after the 3rd wet ball
James - Never thought for a moment that you were being judgemental buddy. Wouldn't have minded at all if you asked to play through, I would have deserved it at that point!
Old September 28th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Hey guys - Just got in from trying to put Indian OEM vinyl wind deflectors on the front highway bars of my Chieftain. Ugh!!! They're supposed to snap easily around the top and bottom of the bars with 5 snaps on the top of each bar and 4 snaps on the bottom. I got all the snaps on the left side snapped except the last one on the bottom. I then started in on the right side and only got the first two on the top snapped before getting stuck on the third. I tried for another 20 minutes till my hands had no strength anymore and said screw it! I have absolutely no idea why they made the fit that tight. The vinyl stretches a little, but not much. With tight quarters it's hard to hold one side with one hand, and try to stretch and snap with the other. I may ask my wife for a second set of hands to hold the side with the snap in place while I try to stretch and snap the other side. That will definitely be another day, sick of it right now, and it really ticks me off because Indian is really proud of their damn accessories.
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, Chris, I'm not judging y'all.
I never thought for a minute you were judging. I thought you were having fun - Timmy. My names Danny. You take drugs Danny? Every day. Good.
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Awesome out. Hot-ish, not humid, this is what it's supposed to be.

Was in inspection today, and will be the whole week. My workwith is off a couple more days so I had to work with the other guy. He is so bad at this gig that I won't sign any of his work. He also cries like a little bitch because he has to work more than his allotted 5 days. But it's okay for him to take off and let other people fill in for him. Eh, the inspector I like is out with us this week, and he's training a new guy, who I worked with years ago in the hangar. He's a good guy and will do well.

Chris are the wind deflectors specific for each side? Maybe you have them reversed? I had a Harley many years ago, they were the same way with their accessories. The saying was that H-D meant Hundred Dollars. Because that's at least what you spent on anything.

If I remember this correctly, the floppy things on the tops of golf shoes are called spats. In Australia, fender skirts are called spats. That's my golf contribution.

Gonna take it easy tonight and maybe hit the sack early. The pressure is off, Monday is over. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 28th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Running On Empty

Hey guys - Just got in from trying to put Indian OEM vinyl wind deflectors on the front highway bars of my Chieftain. Ugh!!! They're supposed to snap easily around the top and bottom of the bars with 5 snaps on the top of each bar and 4 snaps on the bottom. I got all the snaps on the left side snapped except the last one on the bottom. I then started in on the right side and only got the first two on the top snapped before getting stuck on the third. I tried for another 20 minutes till my hands had no strength anymore and said screw it! I have absolutely no idea why they made the fit that tight. The vinyl stretches a little, but not much. With tight quarters it's hard to hold one side with one hand, and try to stretch and snap with the other. I may ask my wife for a second set of hands to hold the side with the snap in place while I try to stretch and snap the other side. That will definitely be another day, sick of it right now, and it really ticks me off because Indian is really proud of their damn accessories.
I'm going to suspect the vinyl is modestly thick - at least it's thick enough you've been tugging & pulling on it and it hasn't ripped or the snaps haven't given way. There are several options you can try - basically in any order you feel the most comfortable.
(1) Boil enough water to fill a container with the boiling water & a deflector. A five gallon bucket works great. Place then entire deflector in the very hot water. The vinyl will become quite pliable and much easier to install.
(2) Use a heat gun, obviously from a slight distance, and warm the vinyl.
(3) Place the deflectors into the oven around 150°F - they're not going to burn up - you just want to uniformly warm them up.
(4) Place them in direct sunlight for an extended period of time if it's still warm enough where you are.

My preference is the hot water immersion. It uniformly heats the entire deflector and makes the entire deflector pliable. The water will not hurt the vinyl and readily evaporates.
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Oh sad day... Put away the Olds for another winter nap. Lotsa moth *****, remove battery and put in basement. It's really a bummer, but a normal fall ritual...
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

I talk to many people who live in the town of Havelock directly up the road from me ~20 miles. It is the home of MCAS Cherry Point. Over the past 20 years I have resided here, I have not met one single person either native or otherwise who knows the meaning of a Havelock.

Game has returned to normal = 80
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris are the wind deflectors specific for each side? Maybe you have them reversed? I had a Harley many years ago, they were the same way with their accessories. The saying was that H-D meant Hundred Dollars. Because that's at least what you spent on anything.

Gonna take it easy tonight and maybe hit the sack early. The pressure is off, Monday is over. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Hi Mike,
Yes, the wimd deflectors are side specific. The snaps and an Indian logo face the rider so I know I had them on the correct side. Good suggestion to check though!