The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2021, 01:53 PM

Mike, I've got one sitting near the jeep trailer. I was gonna use it to water sum dogwoods we planted in the cemetery but now we use a 50 gal plastic drum on the bed of the Gator

Come on up, I'll buy ya a pizza fer lunch

Old June 26th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Always room for one more

Pizza? You know what pushes my buttons. Jeep trailer, firewood, man that gas can must be made of gold.

My other thought was to get an old fire truck. Fill the tanks on it and use the fire hose to wash the car. Although the pressure coming out of that is so high it would probably push the car onto its side.

Thanks Norm. We have tanks of water at work, for what reason I'm not sure, and people will dump five or six boxes of baking soda in there and it just stays in a lump in the middle of the tank. I guess it needs to be stirred up a little.

It is beautiful out, wish I had something to do outside tonight. I might run over to the shop for a minute, see what's going on over there. Maybe go talk to my neighbor.

Okay see ya.

Old June 26th, 2021, 03:38 PM

Humidity high as hell here as well. Been raining cats and dogs for the last couple of days, that should get rid of the drought conditions that we had. Chris, have you talked to your sister in B.C.? nasty weather in her neck of the woods, some small tornadoes in Mecosta and Ionia counties awhile ago. Several tornado warnings to the S.E. of me over by Lansing and Flint.
Old June 26th, 2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Humidity high as hell here as well. Been raining cats and dogs for the last couple of days, that should get rid of the drought conditions that we had. Chris, have you talked to your sister in B.C.? nasty weather in her neck of the woods, some small tornadoes in Mecosta and Ionia counties awhile ago. Several tornado warnings to the S.E. of me over by Lansing and Flint.
Dan - Thanks for giving me a heads-up about the nasty weather around B.C., I haven't talked with my sister this week, I'll give her a call here in a few minutes. I did see in my Google Feed there was some severe flooding on I-94, and other major highways and roads over by Detroit. The pictures looked pretty bad with a lot of abandoned vehicles in the water!
Old June 26th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Hi guys,
Storming here now with lightning, heavy rain, and moderately high winds. I hate to hear the thunder because Monty has a complete meltdown when the thunder starts.

My wife made one of my favorites for dinner tonight, Fettuccine Chicken Alfredo and homemade crescent rolls! The woman's got skills!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Old June 26th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Chris, I'll be right over Thunder or not

I jes hope ya got some parmesan Reggiano cheese left fer me
Old June 26th, 2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I'll be right over Thunder or not

I jes hope ya got some parmesan Reggiano cheese left fer me
James - Come on over, no shortage of Parmesan in this house. Wife and I both love it on all kinds of things so we buy a 2-pack of these industrial size (24oz) jars at Sam's, plenty to go round for all you guys!

Old June 26th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

Arrived via U.S.P.S. today. Cooking w/ James week, I guess.

Old June 27th, 2021, 02:57 AM

Norm, I see a French dip in your near future. I also use it in beef stew and vegetable beef soup

Chris, I think ya got enough for a few days. If ya want a REALLY rich Hors d 'oeurvre Take sum of your extra parmesan Mix in sum mayo and , put marinate artichokes hearts on a toast point , glop of mayo cheese mixture on top and toast it for a sec in de oven, YUMMY but rich

stock pic

The golf club is tossing sum Adirondack chairs so, I'm gonna snag a few and haul them up to the lake " One man's trash, is another man's treasure"
Old June 27th, 2021, 05:19 AM

Chris, I think ya got enough for a few days. If ya want a REALLY rich Hors d 'oeurvre Take sum of your extra parmesan Mix in sum mayo and , put marinate artichokes hearts on a toast point , glop of mayo cheese mixture on top and toast it for a sec in de oven, YUMMY but rich

The golf club is tossing sum Adirondack chairs so, I'm gonna snag a few and haul them up to the lake " One man's trash, is another man's treasure"
James - The Hor d'oeuvres look tasty, we'll have to try those. We usually don't keep marinated artichoke hearts in the house, probably because the only thing we use them for is Italian salad, but we both like Italian salad so I don't know why we don't keep some in the fridge more often??? I like Adirondack style chairs, nice bit of luck snagging a few from the club!
Old June 27th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain during the night, not a lot of it but everything is now wet and messy. The sun is out so maybe it will dry up. Good visit at the Awful house this morning.

Jamesbo I love Adirondack chairs. Not real easy to get out of. I had a couple of the plastic ones and they got brittle and cracked. I saw a guy make one out of a pallet.

Chris even though it's been years since I had my dogs, I still feel a little edgy when it rains or thunders. They absolutely came unglued and there was nothing that would calm them. Tiger couldn't care less, and barely lifts his head when we get thunder. Go figure.

Well it's Walmart in a few minutes then I don't know what I'm doing. Still need to decide if I'm going in early for overtime tomorrow. I don't know what I'll be doing at work, I haven't been in inspection for weeks. I think I'm going to get my qual back this week so I'll probably be stuck there for weeks making up time. I certainly hope not.

Hope everyone has a good day. This week will start a new month.

Old June 27th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris even though it's been years since I had my dogs, I still feel a little edgy when it rains or thunders. They absolutely came unglued and there was nothing that would calm them. Tiger couldn't care less, and barely lifts his head when we get thunder. Go figure.
Mike - You're right, "Go figure". Monty comes unglued with loud outdoor noises, especially bad for him are thunder and fireworks. Maggie who is from the same bloodline, a generation removed, could care less, she could sleep through a Tornado! I don't understand it.
Old June 27th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Taught an Appleseed clinic yesterday, ate big dinner with fellow instructors, then came home, took shower, and passed the hell out for close to 12 hours.

Today I will unload my van which has been a refugee on my driveway for the past week, then I will move it to its temporary home in a storage unit, then run home. Not looking forward to wiggling it in there, or running home.
Old June 27th, 2021, 08:36 AM

Good morning guys,

It's 77 degrees right now at 1030, with 96% humidity, sticky like gorilla glue! It rained earlier this morning (thankfully without more thunder), and we're supposed to have multiple waves come through throughout the afternoon and evening. It's not gonna be much of a day for doing anything outside. Just glad I got my mowing done yesterday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old June 27th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Always room for one more

So Koda you are literally going to run home. Hm.
Old June 27th, 2021, 08:51 AM

So Koda you are literally going to run home. Hm.
Yeah, it's two miles and was part of my 5 mile loop a couple years ago. I did 2 marathons in 2018 but have gotten back to fat since then.

It is amazing how disrespectful people are to fat men in my age demographic. Men talk down to you, women ignore you, and you're viewed as incompetent in your field because you look incompetent at staying in shape. I need to get back to being in shape for many reasons, and, although I hate that game I just mentioned, if I have to play it, I want to play to win.
Old June 27th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Taught an Appleseed clinic yesterday...
Koda - I believe you're talking about basically the same Marksmanship course as I went through with the N.R.A. when I was a teenager? IOW, you're not talking about making something from Appleseed are you?

I went through all the qualifications & graduated through the ranks for long rifle finishing at Distinguished Expert. Until I began the course I never really knew how good I was at shooting. Although, my father began taking us hunting at a very early age. The NRA Marksmanship course(s) were fun - it gave me something to look forward to each week at the National Guard Armory.
Old June 27th, 2021, 09:22 AM

Norm, yes, Project Appleseed is one of a few programs that does a weekend course of teaching the historical events of (mainly) Patriots' Day that started the Revolutionary War in 1775, and teaching "loop sling" field marksmanship of how to shoot standing, seated, and prone out to 400 yards. I believe the Marines still use it. NRA, CMP, and us use about the same thing.
Old June 27th, 2021, 11:47 AM

The chairs are kinda chewed up on the front legs, But I can fix that and repaint Green. Free is Free. It reminded me of being a kid when I when I saw them behind the chemical building. I asked if they were gonna toss them. " I don't know you need to ask Joe. Joe, I don't know you need to ask Fred." Kinda like go ask your mother vs Go as your father

Old June 27th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo if that's the worst of it you've got some nice chairs. Fresh coat of paint does wonders.

Damn Koda. Being a car company engineer is a tough gig. If people think you are dumb because you are fat, they'd think I was dumber than a box of rocks. Luckily in aircraft maintenance, no one is safe and we make fun of everybody. (That is somewhat going away because now some people have feelings.)

I haven't gotten squat done. I went over to the shop to talk with my neighbor, and three hours later we had talked about everything except what we were supposed to. I didn't make it to mail my letters, I didn't make it to Walmart, I just came home to start the wind down process. This guy is awesome and great to talk to, but whenever we get together you can kiss the rest of the day goodbye. I supposed that's good, in a way.

Okay gonna call my Mom in a little bit then hit the sack. I'm going to set the alarm for 2 so I can get up for overtime, but if the dog wakes me up after 1 then I'm not going in. Because when I get back in bed I never really get back to sleep and then I'm tired immediately when I get to work.

So have a good evening everyone.

Old June 27th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

James - I believe those chairs are going to be fine for the lake place. A little creativity on fixing/mending worn out areas & you'll be sport'n!
Old June 27th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

...people have feelings...
Say what?
Old June 27th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Jamesbo if that's the worst of it you've got some nice chairs. Fresh coat of paint does wonders.

Damn Koda. Being a car company engineer is a tough gig. If people think you are dumb because you are fat, they'd think I was dumber than a box of rocks. Luckily in aircraft maintenance, no one is safe and we make fun of everybody. (That is somewhat going away because now some people have feelings.)

I haven't gotten squat done. I went over to the shop to talk with my neighbor, and three hours later we had talked about everything except what we were supposed to. I didn't make it to mail my letters, I didn't make it to Walmart, I just came home to start the wind down process. This guy is awesome and great to talk to, but whenever we get together you can kiss the rest of the day goodbye. I supposed that's good, in a way.

Okay gonna call my Mom in a little bit then hit the sack. I'm going to set the alarm for 2 so I can get up for overtime, but if the dog wakes me up after 1 then I'm not going in. Because when I get back in bed I never really get back to sleep and then I'm tired immediately when I get to work.

So have a good evening everyone.
I think it's more of a societal thing. I took off 80 lbs in 2013 and was amazed at how differently the world treated me. Most of it came back, so a-running I shall go. Ran the almost 2 miles back from the storage center for the first time this year. It's a start.

The unit isn't the problem for getting the van in, it's that the other side is too close. I shall ask them for one of the few with a direct shot. I'll cell phone in a picture here.
Old June 27th, 2021, 05:45 PM

Old June 27th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Running On Empty

John - Room to spare in that storage locker!
I have a question - which I've never thought about previously until I thought about you storing the van. Are storage facilities rated for the type of materials you're allowed to store? I'm thinking primarily in terms of combustible materials - like gasoline in the van, or any motor vehicle. Do you have to disclose this information to the storage facility & they separate combustible materials from things like household goods, etc.?
Old June 27th, 2021, 07:25 PM

They wanted to know I had insurance (car or homeowners) and I told them it was a car. I think there's a TON of insulation in the roof, the unit was cooler than the outside at 5pm. I don't think they'd be cool with lots of gasoline, or gunpowder, or other chemicals.

The mean green machine pulled 16.7 MPG over 120 miles at 55 mph road cruise. Not bad for a 4.11 rear and a 302 V8 Ford. It only wanted 7 gallons of gas.

All that's going in there is the van, I intend to drive it at least once a month. Car show in a week, I'll take it.
Old June 28th, 2021, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have a question - which I've never thought about previously until I thought about you storing the van. Are storage facilities rated for the type of materials you're allowed to store? I'm thinking primarily in terms of combustible materials - like gasoline in the van, or any motor vehicle. Do you have to disclose this information to the storage facility & they separate combustible materials from things like household goods, etc.?
Norm, I've seen many with a bollard placed square in the middle of the entrance to prevent any cars/boats to be stored [ don't know about motor cycles] I can only guess it has something to do with local fire codes

Off to smack whitey at 1st light
Old June 28th, 2021, 04:13 AM

I would be worried about the "Comprehensive" insurance coverage on the vehicle if Koda has it on his van. I'm not saying they don't exist, because you can get insurance on anything if you pay enough, but most policies I've seen will not provide comprehensive coverage against fire, theft, etc. unless the vehicle is kept on your personal property.
Old June 28th, 2021, 04:40 AM

Norm and John (Koda) - Speaking of Hunter/Gun Safety Courses, I have a story. My 1st trip to Colorado Elk and Mule Deer hunting was the fall of 1989. At that time even Out-of-State Elk and Mule Deer licenses could be purchased over the counter at local sporting good stores in Colorado, so I thought I was good to go. When we got to Gunnison we stopped to purchase our tags and supplies before heading up into the mountains to our hunting cabin. When I stepped up to the counter to purchase my Bull Elk and Buck Mule Deer tags, and produced my driver's license, the clerk asked, "Do you have your Hunter's Safety Card or Certificate?" I said No, I'm 30-years old, I took that course in 1971 in Michigan. Well it turns out that any out-of-staters had to produce a Hunter's Safety Certificate if you were born after a certain date and I fell into that category even though I was 30-years old. Luckily, there was a Colorado DNR field office in Gunnison and I went there to plead my case, telling them I had taken the course, but did not have proof with me. The Officer I dealt with offered to call the Michigan DNR to see if they had a record on file of me having taken the course. As it turned out, the 1st year Michigan had records for Hunter's Safety courses was 1971, the year I took it, and they faxed a copy to the Officer in Gunnison and I was good to go. Helpful Officers on both ends, and a stroke of luck, or I would have been SOL!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 28th, 2021 at 04:43 AM.
Old June 28th, 2021, 05:47 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yes, you were very fortunate, indeed.
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:03 AM
Running On Empty

Before I head out for golf, I'm going to clean a test spot of bricks on my first brick column to get a feeling of the concentration of 35% (by weight) Muriatic Acid solution it's going to take to clean the mortar from my bricks. First column nearly complete.
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Running On Empty

Five percent (by weight) is a nice working solution. So, I'm going with a 5% (by weight) HCl (Muriatic Acid) solution. Time to hit the links - tee time 1100 hrs.
Old June 28th, 2021, 08:59 AM

James, I've seen those bollards.

Chris, it's got a collector's car policy. I will inform them it now lives there shortly.

Hunting wise, I was born 5 years too late and now I must use a hunter's safety certificate for all sorts of licenses.

Old June 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM

James, I've seen those bollards.

Chris, it's got a collector's car policy. I will inform them it now lives there shortly.

Hunting wise, I was born 5 years too late and now I must use a hunter's safety certificate for all sorts of licenses.
John - Right now I'm using Hagerty for my '67 4-4-2, and I seem to remember that when I was researching what company I wanted to go with (Hagerty, American Collector, Grundy) they all had statements to the affect the vehicle had to reside on your property/residence. I hope they don't give you any grief or try to jack your rate through the roof! Last thing you need right now is someone adding insult to injury!

Missouri doesn't require me to produce a hunter's safety certificate to get any of my licenses here, but that doesn't surprise me because this state seems to be pretty backward and behind the times on many issues, JMO. I have saved that faxed copy of my record sent to Colorado in 1989 though. I hunted out there 15 other times since then, with most of those times being during the late September black powder elk season. I love being out there that time of year for many reasons. It's still nice enough to tent camp, the elk are still up really high and you're more likely to catch them in rut and bugling, and I enjoy the challenge of taking a bull with open sighted black powder. Colorado does not allow scoped rifles during their black powder season.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 28th, 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old June 28th, 2021, 10:21 AM

Storage units are AOK by American Collector's, just lock the door and tell them the address. So I did, after an anonymous previous phone call to make sure storage units were ok. Gotta cover your ***.
Old June 28th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Storage units are AOK by American Collector's, just lock the door and tell them the address. So I did, after an anonymous previous phone call to make sure storage units were ok. Gotta cover your ***.
Good deal, glad you got that covered!
Old June 28th, 2021, 12:16 PM

. Time to hit the links - tee time 1100 hrs.
Norm, Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun

Chris I hope you shoot a 50 cal Hawkin rife Like Jeremiah
Old June 28th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

James - My club does not open until 1100 hours on Monday (someone hasn't been paying attention).

EDIT: 40/40 I believe this is about my 20th round of 80 in the past three months.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 28th, 2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: EDIT.....EDIT......EDIT
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Norm, Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun

Chris I hope you shoot a 50 cal Hawkin rife Like Jeramiah
James - Are you asking if I have a 50 cal Hawkin like Jeramiah, or if I can shoot a 50 cal Hawkin as well as Jeramiah??? Well, the answer is neither. I used to be able to shoot with open sights really well, but after developing near sight issues in addition to far sight issues, it's difficult to focus well on open sights and a distant object. I can still hit a pie plate at 100 yds. though, and that's all I need. Here's a pic of my 3 big game rifles.

Top to Bottom: Thompson Center Scout 54 cal blackpowder, the short carbine style makes it a great mountain rifle; Knight Revolution 50 cal blackpowder in stainless and synthetic stock, more accurate to greater distances than the Scout; Remington Model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag with Bausch & Lomb 4x10 scope that I wouldn't trade for any other brand or cal.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:16 PM

James - My club does not open until 1100 hours on Monday (someone hasn't been paying attention).

EDIT: 40/40 I believe this is about my 20th round of 80 in the past three months.
Norm - The column bricks look great cleaned off! Most of us wish we could shoot 80 on our best day! Even when I was in my 30's and used to play 2 or 3 times a week I only broke 80 once (79), and probably shot 80 less than a dozen times over >10-years.