The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2021, 09:23 AM
Running On Empty

I once purchased some fuel line (8’ to 10’) from a parts store. Guy cut off a 10’ piece put it on the counter, ringing up several items when I looked at the rubber fuel line and asked what is this for? He cut off a 10’ piece of vacuum hose line. Some people.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 09:45 AM
Jeff

I was so mad at myself, Norm. I know better, knew better... did it anyway. My buddy that is an old motorcross racer and mechanic just shook his head at me. "Yup, people don't realize how quickly those heat up and melt. I've fixed hundreds of those."
Old June 22nd, 2021, 10:15 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - I can relate. I am goofy enough not to pay attention to my own advice. I routinely (nearly every weekend) went fishing off the Florida Gulf coast for Red Fish. Just as the dolphins were heading out (from the shoreline) into deeper water (as the tide was changing) I'd cruise into the shoreline on-plane (drawing at the most 4"-5" of water). As the tide went out, w/ a No. 3 Johnson Gold Spoon at the end of my line, I'd fish the oyster bars after letting the boat come off-plane and dropping into only 2' of water. I never used a trolling motor, just scooted about with the lower-end unit of the outboard essentially dragging along the sand on the bottom for a couple of hours as I reeled them in. As you know, sand and impellers don't mix well. I quickly became acquainted with changing impellers far too often as the result of my bonehead fishing technique. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I did catch an A$$LOAD of red fish.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 22nd, 2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 10:23 AM

Went up to Terre Haute on Friday night to show grandma's house to realtor on Saturday. Huge windstorm came through 5am Sat morn and put a tree on the back of the house, and another through the living room and porch. It's been a busy three days, but I got the trees off and cut up and the missing wall temp construction covered and a tarp on the roof. Insurance guy coming on Thurs, could well be more than the policy to fix. I do have some buyers for the project, so it could end ok. The damage is horrific.

Edit: The garage stopped the back tree and did not squash my van. The tree fell the other way from the 442.

Car related damage picture:

Old June 22nd, 2021, 10:28 AM
Running On Empty

Koda - Ugh, you had and have a lot of work on your hands. About all you can do is tackle this crap head-on when it happens & get on w/ life. It could have been much worse. If I were closer I'd give you a hand.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 11:15 AM

I'm hiring it all done, I grabbed my old hardhat and boots and starting bossing vendors like I do at work. Thanks though. I figure I'm good for a while, had an uncle pass, an infected toe, and now this, so I ought to have my 'threes' done. I guess I can give one shock picture here. Tree removed by the time these were taken.

Old June 22nd, 2021, 11:28 AM
Jeff

Yikes. I have a huge maple about 10 feet away from my cottage, and while I don't wish for it to come down on it, it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing to happen -- as long as we aren't there if it does. Since it truly is a cottage (cheap early 70's paneling vs drywall), I'd come out ahead on having it fixed via a claim. I would not want the hassle of it, to be honest. Mother Nature sure does suck sometimes.

Old June 22nd, 2021, 11:30 AM

Koda - Sorry you're having to deal with all that, it looks horrible! Glad none of your vehicles were destroyed. I hope the insurance pays for most of it and good luck going forward!
Old June 22nd, 2021, 11:55 AM
Running On Empty

Aside from the horrific pictures of the damage - I like your Grandma's old place. A very classic design. I'm into older places.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Went up to Terre Haute on Friday night to show grandma's house to realtor on Saturday. Huge windstorm came through 5am Sat morn and put a tree on the back of the house, and another through the living room and porch. It's been a busy three days, but I got the trees off and cut up and the missing wall temp construction covered and a tarp on the roof. Insurance guy coming on Thurs, could well be more than the policy to fix. I do have some buyers for the project, so it could end ok. The damage is horrific.
Dang. Good luck with the repairs.

My sister's house, which was damaged by a falling tree during last year's hurricanes, is still under construction. She just a couple of days ago got the AC installed/repaired and discovered that the back part of the house has no AC due to crushed duct work, and due to the 'rona supply shortages, she's looking at 20 weeks until the materials will be available. That's just some AC ductwork!

Last edited by Fun71; June 22nd, 2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 02:06 PM

Koda, Sorry for the situation . I like your Ronald Reagan style [delegate]

Norm, Don't you think a bad Impeller would have cause the engine to overheat during his 45 minute boat ride?
Old June 22nd, 2021, 02:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago, not a bad ride all things considered. It's beautiful here, sunny, not hot, which is a 180 from what it was all weekend at my Mom's-rain. No idea what I'll be doing at work this week but hey, the week is half over and I haven't even been there yet.

Yes it was indeed my birthday yesterday. Thanks for the nice words everyone. Heard from a lot of people and had a really nice day. I've taken off work for my birthday for years. It was always depressing being there on my birthday so I figured, twist my arm to stay away...

Koda that's too bad about your grandma's house. I hope it gets fixed up good as new, and pretty quick. Glad the cars weren't smashed. I had a VW van sitting in the back yard one time and a tree fell on it. Wasn't that big of a tree but it hit the roof so hard all the glass broke and was pulverized. There was glass dust all over the ground and very few shards. That thing was flat. I wish I would have been smart enough to keep it and part it, but instead I sold it. Turns out I sold it for less than what I could have sold the trans for. Oh well. I thought I did okay at the time.

Okay so I'll do a little more catching up then a little bit to eat and then hit the sack. I know they're working early tomorrow but I'm not going in. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old June 22nd, 2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Ray, you ain't jes whistling Dixie. The boy can cook, play golf, repair electrical problems, fix roofs, lay bricks fix computers and do seismic research

I'm still werking on spelling and get crossed up putting my britches on in the mawn'in

I agree Guys ... Keep'r Go'n Norm it is nice to see a man with skills you have willing to pass on the wealth. Appreciated here.

Keith
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:26 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, Don't you think a bad Impeller would have cause the engine to overheat during his 45 minute boat ride?
Tough call. It's not like you keep your eye on a worn out impeller checking to see if it's working or not. Generally, they gradually (slowly) wear down until they can't move enough water into the engine & the engine begins to overheat. I believe Jeff's correct though, if you have an overheating issue on your 90 Honda, there should be an overheating warning alarm when/if the engine overheats - if the warning alarm is working, is hooked up & your 90 Honda has an overheating warning alarm. As I said, it's just something to consider. If you haven't had yearly routine examinations of your impeller it isn't a bad time to start - they do wear out. If the engine is basically overheating (essentially running hotter than normal) for extended periods of time, other service items are generally going wear faster, as well. This certainly depends on your boating style, how & where you are running in water. Tough call and as I said, impellers are generally on a routine maintenance check list. Did you check the plugs yet? Are they black like burnt toast, electrodes pitted & rough, any signs of rust/corrosion on them? I think you said you were checking those first.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
I agree Guys ... Keep'r Go'n Norm it is nice to see a man with skills you have willing to pass on the wealth. Appreciated here. Keith
Keith - Thanks. I haven't heard Whistlin' Dixie in ages, thanks for sharing. I hope things are well in Wisconsin - always a long winter's wait for the spring thaw and summer to arrive in Wisconsin.

This song honestly and best exposes my life's work ethic. Although, I don't party hard on Friday night's any longer.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 22nd, 2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Keith - Thanks. I haven't heard Whistlin' Dixie in ages, thanks for sharing. I hope things are well in Wisconsin - always a long winter's wait for the spring thaw and summer to arrive in Wisconsin.

This song honestly and best exposes my life's work ethic. Although, I don't party hard on Friday night's any longer.

https://youtu.be/VcXg8RrylII
You Bet " The only way to keep the candle burn'n is to out run the wind" Wisconsin here near the Dells has had a nice long spring, a warm/hot 90's spell for a bit, but not too muggy start into summer. Now a nice high pressure system with lows at night in the 50's and highs during the day forcasted for the next week or so, high 70's to mid 80's Perfect. Always liked the Belemy Bros. most lyrics have a nice play to words. Brooks and Dunn have always been good.
Enjoy
Old June 22nd, 2021, 10:33 PM

Damn, Koda, sorry for the damage that the storm caused. I am also a fan of architecture, is that Italianate? Haven't kept up on architectural styles since high school (45 years ago). Mike, a belated birthday. Kenneth, is there a local place that can fabricate the duct work for your sister?
Old June 23rd, 2021, 02:43 AM

Ray, you ain't jes whistling Dixie. The boy can cook, play golf, repair electrical problems, fix roofs, lay bricks fix computers and do seismic research

I'm still werking on spelling and get crossed up putting my britches on in the mawn'in
I hear ya brother....I'm in your shoes. Norm has many qualities...including ready to help out a fellow car guy in need.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 03:55 AM

Norm, Haven;t got back up to the mountains yet

My plan is

1] check plugs

2] Check fuel line to tank

3] Crank and check water egress from lower unit

Then go from there

Tanks for all your help

Now, Could ya help me hit a 1 iron?

Having Cuban with some ole college chums for lunch Trying to make miy mind up what I want. Ropa Vieja [ shredded pork in tomato base sofrito sauce ]or Enchilado de Camerones [shrimp in a garlic base sofrito sauce ]

decisions, decisions
Old June 23rd, 2021, 07:01 AM

Good morning guys,

Got a car question I would like to get everyones' opinion on. What lubricant do think is the best for these classic car latching mechanisms (hood, trunk, doors), hinges, and hood springs? Thanks in advance for any recommendations! I'm going out for a longer ride later this morning/afternoon, so I won't be around to comment on any suggestions until this evening.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 23rd, 2021, 08:02 AM

69W31, that is Greek Revival circa 1856. Meeting insurance dude tomorrow. I went from a adjuster who would not answer the phone, reassigned to a real adjuster who was fixing to come out there, then I sent photos in and they promptly uttered an expletive of their choice and bumped me to catastrophic claims. Will meet this high level adjuster tomorrow. Building is boarded and tarped now as of Monday, and the tree chunks should be off property by now as well.

James, bad gas sucks. I siphoned out my 442 last year, and it looked like turpentine and smelled like it too.

Dream, you want a monolithic grease, not lithium suspension. Grease around the shiny spots, latch contacts, spring pivot points. The metal itself should be painted or phosphated and not need lube except at contact points. Grease will stay put, oil won't. Wheel bearing grease will do fine, just don't make a mess. Less is more. Norm, I am sure, can comment about the pitfalls of lithium grease sitting as it is stuff suspended in water; if it falls out of suspension, you have water being held against the metal. It's a great lube for today, but not for longevity, in my judgment.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 08:19 AM

69W31, that is Greek Revival circa 1856.
165 years old! Hope that they can repair/restore it. Is it in a historic district, or on a historic registry?
Old June 23rd, 2021, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

James - I can show you how far you can throw a one iron if that'll help you any?

39/43 this morning. 9-Hole Shootout @ 5pm - hoping to keep my streak alive. 66°F overnight - gorgeous weather.

Chris - I use a waterproof grease for the applications you're wanting to grease i.e. door hinges, hood hinges, etc, etc. In fact, I use the same grease as the image below in exactly the same container. I cut a hole in the top of the lid of the container, I insert an inexpensive 4" bristle hair paint brush ($0.50 - $1.00) through the hole in the lid and the brush remains a resident in that tub of grease which sits on a shelf. Whenever I need grease, I simply grab the brush from the grease tub and easily apply strokes of grease to parts. A very handy manner to store lubricating grease you're not using from a grease gun & the brush makes it a snap and very easy to apply light amounts of grease and reach nooks & crannies.

Old June 23rd, 2021, 12:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man this is the first time in eons that we stayed till the bitter end. Our lead was not there today, big surprise, and the bad lead walked over about twenty after two, said a couple words, walked away. So we were all watching our clocks and at 230 exactly walked out. The bad lead just looked at us. Of course his guys were long gone. Eh, that's what we're paid till. My wall guy this week is the slowest one, and it drives me bonkers.

Chris I use white lithium grease in a rattle can. A little spritz here and there and you're good to go. The little straw helps direct the grease right where you want it, no overspray, no muss no fuss. I used to drive a 79 Suburban. The hoods on that style Chev are notorious for bending in the middle when you go to shut them. I kept a can of that grease under the hood and every time I opened the hood I'd spray a little grease on the hinges. That truck just sits now but to this day the hood opens and closes like buttuh.

It's beautiful out. I've got a couple errands to run. Rain tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying, Hump Day!

Old June 23rd, 2021, 01:38 PM
Jeff

James, again I have a D'OH! moment... if you have a steady stream of water shooting out of the motor, then the impeller is fine -- that is the Captain Obvious check! If it spurts, the impeller is on it's last legs and I wouldn't personally run the motor until replaced.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 02:05 PM

Hey guys,
Koda, Norm, and Mike - Thanks for the grease recommendations. All would probably work fine, main point is to get some lubricant on the contact surfaces. Koda, the resto is still pretty recent (2016), and the components are painted or coated with no rust so it's pretty easy to see where the contact is being made.

Went for about a 285-mile ride on 95% 2 lane back roads to Clearwater Dam south of me near Piedmont, MO. Beautiful day for a ride, sunny and about 75 when I started, and about 85 when I finished. It starts getting very "Ozarky" just south of me, very hilly and wooded with lots of great scenery, and the roads are twisty which I like.

Perfect evening for grilling so I'm gonna fire up the old Weber here in a little while and throw a bunch of Sirloin on there and Momma will make the sides. I'm making myself hungry, I need to go get started.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old June 23rd, 2021, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

9-Hole Shootout not so good - DFL

The entire day tomorrow looks fantastic for laying brick & working outdoors - very, very comfortable temperatures w/ no rain forecast.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:11 PM
Running On Empty

Full Moon tomorrow, but it sure is bright in the sky tonight. I'm always interested in what they call/name particular full moons.
The Next Full Moon is the Strawberry, Mead, Honey, Rose, Flower, Hot, Hoe, or Planting Moon, Vat Purnima, Poson Poya, the LRO Moon, and a marginal Supermoon. The next full Moon will be on Thursday afternoon, June 24, 2021, appearing opposite the Sun in Earth-based longitude at 2:40 p.m. EDT
Source: https://scitechdaily.com/dont-miss-t...rmoon-of-2021/

I'm calling it the hot hoe planting moon - makes sense to me.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm calling it the hot hoe planting moon - makes sense to me.
Planning on "Workin on your Night Moves" are ya?
Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:58 PM
Always room for one more

I've been thinking about your boat Jamesbo and it could very well be the plugs. If they motored around the lake leisurely for 45 minutes, it was probably running fairly rich. A carb runs richest at idle. When he neared the dock and reduced power even more, it could have loaded the plugs up for good.

You asked about Clyde. I haven't heard much, last week we saw his son in the Awful house and he said he was in pain but otherwise getting along. We'll hear something. If he gets better we'll hear from Clyde himself, and if he takes a turn, we'll hear from the son. Thanks for asking.

I stayed up well past my bedtime to finish watching the final episode of MASH. It was like two hours long. I had only seen it once. So that's it for the entire series. Now what am I going to watch?

Okay good night everyone.

Old June 23rd, 2021, 07:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Now what am I going to watch?
Mike - Do you have Netflix? Watch "Shameless"
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:02 AM

Hi guys, Tuesday it was cold felt like 45-50. Even had to turn heat back on for a day. It was 63 in the house, I would have been ok but wife was too cold. Wednesday was nice, about 70 something and today looks great so far. Tuesday we had a goose round up on the lake. It is all legal and approved with the Michigan DNR, It was quite a spectacle, I'll try to get a pic or two. We rounded up 60 geese. If you have them around you will know what a mess they are. They sh*t like crazy. There were 46 of them on my yard when we came back from a boat ride, we shooed them off and I picked up a half a 5 gallon pail of their droppings in my yard. They are beautiful, fun to watch and sound cool but are so dirty, their sh#t is so nasty and sticks to your foot- It's bad. Anyway they will be relocated- not killed.
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:14 AM

Goose Round Up. Boats "Rounding them up" at public boat landing.

Snow fence set up so once geese are on land they will "herd" up like cattle do. But it is not easy, they don't want to go.

And off they go to somewhere else. A total of 60 geese.
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:23 AM

Greg, Cool pics, I pity the guy that has to clean that trailer

They used to be kind rare around here but now, they're like Tribbles

Old June 24th, 2021, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Tuesday we had a goose round up on the lake. It is all legal and approved with the Michigan DNR, It was quite a spectacle, I'll try to get a pic or two. We rounded up 60 geese.
Greg - Great story and pics, thanks for sharing! The small lake I lived on had a small number of geese that would come back every year, maybe 6 - 8. Your right, even that number can make a mess on your bank if they hang out very long. The other critter that can make a wreck of your bank in a hurry is a muskrat. I remember more than once my Dad mowing with the push mower down by the waters edge, and suddenly one of his legs would go through the sod up to his knee or deeper in a muskrat den. Of course he'd be soaked, muddy, and pissed as hell. We would shoot every one we got a chance to.
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:04 AM

Good morning guys,
Looks like we're entering into another unstable, wet weather pattern all the way through next Tuesday with a 50% - 60% chance of thunderstorms everyday. This sucks because there are two shows this coming weekend, one Sat. and one Sun., I would like to make it to. I'm more interested in the one on Sunday because it's in the nearby town of Columbia, IL where one of my best friends lives. Guess I'll just have to see how the weather plays out.

I got some great suggestions from you guys on grease and application techniques yesterday, and thanks again! I have another question today, this one about tires. I have still been debating putting the extra set of 235/60/15 BFG T/As on Old's SS1's (1st pic) on my car. These came with the sale, and I knew the previous owner had them prior to the restoration in 2016. The wheels and tires look pristine, and there is a ton of tread left on the tires. I even checked the tires with an intense light source and magnifier for micro-cracks in the tread base and sidewalls and see none. I decided I had also better check the date code on the tires, and the second picture is what I found. Now if I'm reading the date code correctly, the "1807" means the tires were manufactured the 18th week of 2007. I don't know how they could be that old, doesn't seem possible? Am I correct on the date code, and do you think I would be creating a potential dangerous situation running them on the car???

Side note, the 235/55/17's currently on the car are showing a date code I believe of "4212" (3rd pic) which I also find hard to believe because they were supposedly purchased in 2016 according to the previous owner, and I have never caught him in a lie about any of the info he gave me about the car. Same scenario with these tires, they look fine and lots of tread left, what say you on these, should I be concerned???
Thanks in advance for your opinions on both sets of tires, much appreciated!

EDIT, ADDITIONAL INFO - Since I posted this earlier, I have been researching and reading multiple source articles on this subject, this is the info that stuck out to me, and which I'm seeing from more than one source: "The rubber trade association, as well as Michelin and Continental, said tires can be safely used for up to 10 years, provided the tread is not worn and there is no visible dry rot.May 31, 2017". I might have answered my own question, but I'm still interested in your opinions.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 24th, 2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old June 24th, 2021, 09:04 AM

Greg, no fun with the geese, they are problem at Veteran's Memorial Park here, because of all of the crap. Looks like the rainy season is upon us, rain forecast through next week. I was planning on going to the Gilmore for the Olds and Orphans car show on Sunday, but it will be rained out. Chris use your best judgement on the tires, my buddy has T/A's on his '68 442, they are 7-8 years old, and in excellent condition. He is debating on whether or not to replace them, but doesn't have that tire info that you posted above.

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 24th, 2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old June 24th, 2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris use your best judgement on the tires, my buddy has T/A's on his '68 442, they are 7-8 years old, and in excellent condition. He is debating on whether or not to replace them, but doesn't have that tire info that you posted above.
Dan - Thanks for the response. I'm trying to use good judgment, but it might just give me a stroke to have to throw out +$600 of great looking tires just because of their age!
Old June 24th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Better day at work. Things moved right along, and we finished up about a quarter after 12. Of course we then sat for two hours. I think I'll go in for overtime tomorrow morning, no real reason just because.

Awesome day out. Great temperature and it's overcast. I'm going to mow in a little bit. Apparently the rain has been pushed back to I don't know when. So good, it will be a nice weekend.

Chris I'm one that usually gets as much as I can out of my tires, but I don't think even I would use those tires from 2007. Tires break down internally and I wouldn't trust them on a road trip. Maybe around town? They'd be good rollers. Once I had a stack of old tires for my blue van. I said, I'll use up these tires then get new ones. I had four different tires on the van and they were all old and cracking, so one night I was out on the expressway. I kept hearing what I thought were rocks hitting the bottom of the van. I also noticed there were no cars around me, they were all keeping a good distance. Sure enough, all of a sudden BLAM! The tread lets loose on the right rear and flaps the quarter panel to death. The noises I heard were chunks of the tire coming off before the final blow. After that, all my old tires went to the scrap pile. I mentioned that here, it was a few years ago, and Jamesbo scolded me.

Greg we have those geese on our lake, they are a disaster. A few years ago we had hundreds and the worst part was that so many people fed them they didn't ever leave. It gets cold in Georgia but not cold enough long enough to send them packing. And you can't shoot them, they are protected. So we had someone from the DNR come out and round them all up(they forgot a few), and we said what are you going to do with them? They said, take them to a big field and let people shoot them. Hm.

Norm I have access to Netflix and occasionally go through it, but I never see anything that looks interesting to me. I guess I will go back to Starsky and Hutch.

Okay off to mow. What fun that will be.

Last edited by slantflat; June 24th, 2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old June 24th, 2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris I'm one that usually gets as much as I can out of my tires, but I don't think even I would use those tires from 2007. Tires break down internally and I wouldn't trust them on a road trip. Maybe around town?
Mike - Thanks for your opinion buddy, much appreciated!