The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2021, 03:25 PM

Good evening guys,
Sam's Club trip went well this morning. Got there early at 0900 and they weren't busy yet, and we were home by 1100. Got a boatload of meat and produce, and of course impulse bought a bunch of snack type crap. I also buy several cases of flavored water and cases of soda there. Since we had all that fresh meat the wife left a couple of slabs of Sirloin out for dinner and I grilled them on the Weber for dinner, nothing I like any better than some good grilled steak!

Right now I'm debating on whether to get out and mow, I'm not feeling it right now because I'm stuffed from dinner. However, I'm planning on leaving for that cruise-in around 2:30 tomorrow afternoon, and I don't think I'm gonna want to be out messing with the yard tomorrow. Plenty of time to decide, probably get out there in an hour or so and git'r done.

I hope everyone had a great day and is looking forward to nice weekend.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 05:19 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I assumed when I was at NAPA that she meant standing the rotor on edge and measuring, ie the diameter. Now I wonder if she didn't mean lay it flat on the table and measure up. Jeff I don't have the truck at home so I can't go out and see its build date, but if this were the case, could I do my own EO and get the bigger rotor, even if my truck came with the smaller one? We're talking about a tenth of an inch. I suspect the issue would have been with the middle hole, the 90mm one has a bigger middle hole. She didn't say anything about a different lug pattern. It's a 2500HD with 8 lug wheels.

Such a pretty night. Sometimes I wish I could sleep outside. I used to sleep with my glass doors open in my bedroom, but when I got dogs they would jump up at the slightest noise. I'm not sure Tiger would pay any mind to that but my terribly high quality screen doors over the years have warped and would let half the town's worth of bugs in.

Now, as Mr. Krueger would say, That's it for me! Thank you George! Good night everybody!

Old June 3rd, 2021, 06:55 PM
Jeff

Sorry, Mike... I couldn't fathom a guess as to what would drive the different sizes. I've been out of the parts catalogue look-up biz for too long. Aside from looking up my own stuff, it's been since sometime in '96. You may be able to look it up online to determine the difference.
Old June 4th, 2021, 04:41 AM

--Going to be getting hot here next couple days, going down to oldest son's place for middle granddaughter's graduation and open house, that will be fun going to stay a couple nights. Bought a new to me 2015 Ski Doo snowmobile yesterday, it is a cream puff, I almost wish it would snow, so I could ride it.. NAH, not really...
-- For years in seemed like year, engine, and model would be enough to get parts. Remember the pictures in front of section on each brand car in the Motors and Chilton manuals? I guess that was for when you took a Olds over to a small shop for a repair, they could look at the pic and verify it was a 1965 Cutlass or what ever.. I remember Fords were notorious for needing the manufacture date to get correct parts, and of course in the 70's when you might have a Buick engine in a Pontiac or OMG! A Chebby in a Olds! It seems usually safe now a days if you have the VIN you will be Ok.
Old June 4th, 2021, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Going to be getting hot here next couple days, going down to oldest son's place for middle granddaughter's graduation and open house, that will be fun going to stay a couple nights. Bought a new to me 2015 Ski Doo snowmobile yesterday, it is a cream puff, I almost wish it would snow, so I could ride it.. NAH, not really...
Greg - Congratulations on the grandaughter's graduation, have fun at the graduation/open house! Great that you found a well taken care of 2015 Ski Doo, new toys are always fun! When you have the time after you get home, post a couple pics of the new machine for us.
Old June 4th, 2021, 05:16 AM

Good morning guys,
Full sunshine and a high of 85 forecast for today. I got out and mowed yesterday evening so all my time is my own today, other than taking care of the pups' needs while my wife is cleaning house for our neighbor this mornimg. Planning to leave for the cruise-in around 2:30. I should have some pics for you guys this evening or tomorrow morning. If they have the vintage firetruck again this time I'm going to take a closer look at it for Norm to determine exactly what make it is.

Hope everyone has a great day and start to their weekend
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I understood everything you related to regarding parts, manuals, etc. I think some manufacturer's did a much better job than others in terms of 'how' they wrote a parts/service manual. In the 60s/70s I used Chilton's almost exclusively. There are some good things which can be said for relating parts to a VIN. I remember when I bought my 2003 F250 new in 2003. When I first began working on it on my own (after the warranty period ended) it became very easy to get the correct part using only the VIN - saved a great deal of guess work.

Chris - I'd be interested in finding out more about the fire truck. I have visions of old fire trucks for some reason - maybe my youth - who knows; but, I like old fire trucks (esp. the old R.E.O. fire trucks). Fire trucks (in particular) but train locomotives as well are interesting in their nomenclature. Was anyone else more or less indoctrinated with the notion/idea electrical devices were called 'motors' while non-electrical (combustion) devices were called 'engines'? Maybe it was just me, but I recall as I learned how to maintain and address issues on various devices motors were electrically driven while combustion driven devices were called engines. It seems to me fire trucks were most often called fire engines and the fire stations were called Engine Companies. Similarly with trains - locomotive engines not locomotive motors. Although, in the case of trains, times have certainly changed with many locomotives actually being powered by electricity as opposed to petroleum. The only petroleum (diesel) used on many train locomotives is to power the generator(s) which supply the electricity for the train. Oh well, enough of that non-sense for now - it's been raining non-stop for ~16 hours and it doesn't look like it will abate for at least another 24 hours. Lots of flash flooding of local areas occurring.
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Greg - I understood everything you related to regarding parts, manuals, etc. I think some manufacturer's did a much better job than others in terms of 'how' they wrote a parts/service manual. In the 60s/70s I used Chilton's almost exclusively. There are some good things which can be said for relating parts to a VIN. I remember when I bought my 2003 F250 new in 2003. When I first began working on it on my own (after the warranty period ended) it became very easy to get the correct part using only the VIN - saved a great deal of guess work.

Chris - I'd be interested in finding out more about the fire truck. I have visions of old fire trucks for some reason - maybe my youth - who knows; but, I like old fire trucks (esp. the old R.E.O. fire trucks).
. . .
Similarly with trains - locomotive engines not locomotive motors. Although, in the case of trains, times have certainly changed with many locomotives actually being powered by electricity as opposed to petroleum.
Norm - I will definitely take a closer look at the fire truck if it's there. I think it belongs to one of the sponsor groups, an Elks, Lions Club, or similar type group. There may even be a show or info sign for it which I will take a pic of if there is one.

Speaking of locomotive diesel engines. My grandpa and one of my uncles on my Dad's side worked most of their adult life at the Eaton Valve plant in Battle Creek. One day my grandpa gave me a scrap valve from what he told me was a diesel locomotive motor. The thing was huge! The head on that thing was the size of a softball, and I remember the stem being about a foot and a half long.
Old June 4th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Well, I finally got around to hanging 4 screen doors. I have 2 sets, I going out to the deck [pictured] and the other side goes down some steps towards the garages. My old ones had about had it. The new doors came with new hardware but if I had used it, it would have looked like poop on a white rabbit. So I reused the old handles, hinges, hooks etc.

Old June 4th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Running On Empty

James - Are those wood frames or metal?
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I remember Fords were notorious for needing the manufacture date to get correct parts
I remember having to ask the owner if the engine was a "351 W" or a "351 M" and they would ask "what's that?". I would reply "351 Windsor or 351 Modified" to which they would reply "Oh, it's not modified, it's a stock engine".
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:03 PM

Neither vinyl, And they are Chinese POS BUT seeing how water splashes off a deck, they won't rot. I got them at Lowe's. My old ones were wood and rotted out on the bottoms. They came with vinyl hardware but on an old farm house door it really didn't gee and haw
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Running On Empty

I was just curious. I like the design. Nice choice.
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:23 PM

Norm, They are 20 footers. But happy wife happy life
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

James, understand. I like them. With both opened there's ample space when most of the time you're just using one anyways - unless, of course, you're the size of Hulk Hogan.
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Running On Empty

Now you have me wondering. Are they the simple spring returns or pneumatic - or, possibly those new hinged return type?
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:44 PM

Right on one side [left on the other] opens for normal ingress egress opposite side [stationary ] has T-strip and foot bolts top and bottom. The hinges are spring loaded. 99.999% of the time the stationary stays closed
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

Nice! Mike picking up your old ones for firewood in his house this winter?
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:58 PM

I wish but I can give him enough fire wood to take him to Y 3 K
Old June 4th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Phoenix - No Thanks!

Old June 4th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out, overcast so it isn't too hot. I keep hearing about rain and we keep not getting any. I think with sustained temps like Phoenix the firewood would light itself.

So the entire group suffered from I Don't Give A **** today. We were about 20 wheels away from being done and they took lunch. We finished up after 1. Though they were 95% main wheels, and the big ones that take a long time to fill. Eh, I'm done for the weekend. Overtime tomorrow is to paint the safety stripes on the floor. No thanks.

I started in on the truck's brakes. I took a front wheel off and the pads are about 1/8. I thought, this could get me another couple months. Then I thought, nah, I might as well change them now then I won't have to worry about them. Big mistake. Got the two bolts out and hammered on the caliper, and it moved maybe a half inch. Now it won't move in either direction. The rotor can turn so nothing is bound up. I have a claw hammer, a small ball peen hammer, and a giant dead blow. Not enough room to really get a good swing. Apparently I wrongly assumed that these brakes would be just like the A Body brakes only bigger. I'm missing something that I don't know about. I suppose I could put the wheel back on and slowly drive to the mechanic and pay him to do them, as well as pay the dumbass fee. Which I deserve. Or I could keep waling on it until "the cows come home." Boy I'm happy I started this. And I still need to do the back ones. I've never done rear disc brakes, I'm sure that will be as much fun.

Chris have fun at the show tomorrow. Greg have fun at your son's house. I've wanted to get a fire truck for awhile now, but I have no real reason to have a fire truck. "Because" is my only reason and it's good enough for me. The truck I want is a 60s-70s American LaFrance.

Okay don't know what to, but I'll do something. Get out the baseball bat maybe.

Old June 4th, 2021, 04:59 PM

Yeah, it was in the 90s on my drive in to work this morning at 8 am. Bleh.

That drop down to 100 degrees on Tuesday is called an Arizona cold front.

Phoenix - No Thanks!

Last edited by Fun71; June 4th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, I finally got around to hanging 4 screen doors. I have 2 sets, I going out to the deck [pictured] and the other side goes down some steps towards the garages. My old ones had about had it. The new doors came with new hardware but if I had used it, it would have looked like poop on a white rabbit.
James - Chinese POS or not, I love the farmhouse look of those doors, I would like them on my home!
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:25 PM

Good evening guys,
Well, the cruise-in this afternoon/evening was great, lots of cars and spectators.. Found a great place to park near a shade tree where I could put my chair when not up looking at other cars. My buddy with the 66, 427 tri-power Vette met me there and we had a nice visit. The only bummer was the vintage Fire Truck was not there, sorry Norm, maybe it will be back next month! There was a nice crop of Mopars and AMC's just for Mike. I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it may have been a white 1957 (I think) Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, there's a pic of it, it was pristine.

Learned some new automotive history. There were two Mercury pickup trucks there,, a 40's model and a 50's model. I had never seen a Mercury pickup before. Apparently, from talking with the owners they were only sold in Canada. In Canada, Ford dealerships were separate from Lincoln/Mercury dealerships, and most of the time small towns would only have one or the other. So if a particular town only had a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, Mercury made pickups during the 40's thru the 60's so folks in those small towns with only Lincoln/Mercury dealerships would have access to trucks. Pretty neat.

Enjoys the pics!

Mercury Pickup

57 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Very rare color Vette, my buddy is a huge Corvette guy and he said this was the 1st time he had ever seen this color in person.

My buddies '66 Vette behind my car, I should have taken a better pic of it

Old June 4th, 2021, 07:38 PM

There was a place near my work called 57 Heaven which I think was owned by the fella who started Hot Rod magazine. Anyway, he had one of every 57 vehicle and that is where I first saw a Mercury pickup truck. Didn’t know Mercury had made trucks before I went there (around 2004) with the AZ Olds Club.

That place was awesome. The first vehicle you saw through the door was a red ‘57 Corvette convertible but you went right past it as if it was a Camry due to all the other vehicles you hardly ever see out in the world.

Last edited by Fun71; June 4th, 2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
There was a place near my work called 57 Heaven which I think was owned by the fella who started Hot Rod magazine. Anyway, he had one of every 57 vehicle and that is where I first saw a Mercury pickup truck. Didn’t know Mercury had made trucks before I went there (around 2004) with the AZ Olds Club.

That place was awesome. The first vehicle you saw through the door was a red ‘57 Corvette convertible but you went right past it as if it was a Camry due to all the other vehicles you hardly ever see out in the world.
Kenneth - That would be a cool place to visit! Wouldn't it be something if someone created a Mega Car Museum that had one of every American made model from say 1950 through 1975, now that's something I'd pay good money to spend a couple days in!
Old June 4th, 2021, 08:52 PM
Always room for one more

Pics look nice Chris. My pick of the litter is the first one, the 68 GTX. One of these days I'll get to a car show again.

I feel a little better about the truck's brakes tonight. Other Eric sent me a video on changing the front brakes, and I discovered the error of my ways. I also discovered the pads I bought are the wrong ones. I'll swap them out tomorrow and get this all taken care of. What's funny is the back ones are the ones that really need attention, and the front ones turned out to be okay. Hm.

Kenneth I thought 57 Heaven was in Missouri. Maybe there's two? Actually I heard the one in Missouri went out. In 2007 I went to Tulsa to watch them dig a Plymouth out of a time capsule that was planted in 1957. The town ran a contest where people could guess what the population would be in 50 years. The guy that got closest actually died in the 70s so his spinster sisters got the car. It was a disaster. Word was the guy from 57 Heaven wanted the car so bad he offered the sisters 300K for it, but they had already been swindled by a snake oil salesman in New Jersey. "Wouldn't your brother love to see this car all shined up with my new elixer?" The 57 Heaven guy had actually brought along a Plymouth that was the twin of what the time capsule car looked like before it was entombed.

Always fun staying up late on a Friday. And I get to sleep in tomorrow. But not too long, I need to get to the Awful house, I haven't seen those guys for quite awhile. Hope everyone has a good night.

Old June 4th, 2021, 10:30 PM

Greg, yep it's gonna be a bit warm, but not Kenneth's "warm". I'll be able to enjoy the warm weather for just a bit, as I took Mon-Tues off from work. The bad is colonoscopy prep on Sunday, and the outpatient on Monday. I like old fire trucks as well, I think that they are just a cool vehicle. The door stlye looks good Jamesbo, and that deck looks like a place to hang and catch a breeze. The red Charger looks pretty sweet, and that is a '57 Eldo Biarritz. The Panama yellow Vette is a winner as well. I knew about the Merc trucks because I subscribe to Hemmings, though I can't recall if I ever saw one in the flesh.
Old June 5th, 2021, 02:05 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Awesome pictures, great showing. Thanks for sharing. Regarding Lincoln-Mercury dealerships. Canada was not the only country to separate Ford from Lincoln-Mercury. The U.S.A. separated Ford from Lincoln-Mercury, as well. They were merely dealership franchises. The majority of dealerships were, in fact, Ford Lincoln-Mercury but the two could be and were separate franchise entities. I worked for one right after high school - owned by friends of mine. McGrath Buick, Honda, Winnebago & Lincoln-Mercury dealership. As I recall, there were minor restrictions for sales & service and of course there were incentives (e.g. sales buy-down financial floor plans for number of vehicles purchased, displayed, sold, on hold, etc.). The dealership was very large in comparison to most all other dealerships back in the 1960s & 1970s, occupying two city blocks in downtown Elgin, IL. The McGrath Buick dealership could sell Honda & Winnebago on the same property and display vehicles in the same showroom(s). The Lincoln-Mercury dealership had to remain a stand-alone entity separate from Buick, Honda & Winnebago. Therefore, the Lincoln-Mercury dealership had its own stand-alone sales showroom, sales lot and service/parts department. The dealership also had its own body shop, of which as you'd expect, they could work on any vehicle on the planet.
Old June 5th, 2021, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
James - Chinese POS or not, I love the farmhouse look of those doors, I would like them on my home!

Chris, They are really that bad, I just prefer real wood. which is why this 1896 farm house is a maintenance nightmare

Nice pics, thanks fer sharing

Mike, Glad ya got it figured out
Old June 5th, 2021, 06:19 AM

Good morning guys,
Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the pics from the car cruise! There may be more this evening if you're not bored to tears with them. I'm headed to another cruise event this afternoon! The Mayor's Office in the small town of Festus (I always think of Gunsmoke), about 10-miles south of me, is having a big cruise event this afternoon starting at 2:00. Apparently they have it every year around this time, and from speaking with several folks who have been there, it is very popular and well attended by cars and spectators. They have it on Main Street and in surrounding business lots bordering Main Street. I'm going there first, and then, depending on what the scene's like there, I may head on down to the cruise in DeSoto (vintage Texaco Station) at the DQ there that starts at 4:00. The trip to DeSoto is totally up in the air at this point. My same buddy with the '66 Vette is meeting me again today in Festus, should be a fun day, although it will be a warm one.

Have a great day everyone!
Old June 5th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept in a little then got up for the Awful house. Saw a couple of guys and found out another guy I know is in dire straits. He's 80-something and the bus driver for his church. He had the bus at his house and for whatever reason was up on the roof of it and fell off. Broke his back, and severe head injury. He went to the local hospital and then they life flighted him downtown to Atlanta Medical Center. Doesn't look good for him.

Anyway in a minute I'm going out to get brake pads for the truck and then get back into that mess. I'm confident I can get this done with relative ease, now that I know what I'm supposed to do.

Nice out, a little humid but doable. Overcast. Wish I had a car show to go to...

Have a good Saturday everyone.

Old June 5th, 2021, 07:25 AM

Mike - Sorry to hear about your friend's horrible accident, he will be in our prayers. Good luck finishing up the brakes, I hope you're able to wrap them up today!

Man, there's got to be some shows going on in your neck of the woods now, you just need to search for them online and get out there!
Old June 5th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I've invoked upon you the responsibility of garnishing as much fun as you can - on my behalf - since, I apparently measure fun in a very wicked manner & I am having a difficult time cruising about other than short trips to the club to knock a little white ball around. Has this really become the epitome of my life? Have fun on your cruises today. Sounds like a good time.

Mike - Ouch. What a horrible accident. I certainly am thinking of your friend & hope things come out for the better for him. Good luck with the brakes - you got this.

I shot a laser for my columns & squared them off on each pad to establish my starter course this morning. The first column ties into the gate. My stick level laser has a 90° orifice, as well; which, takes no time to find the true straight & level 90° offset to the gate from the column(s) line. The CBUs (Concrete Block Units) are now established & I hand-set a couple courses of brick to determine if I'm happy w/ the mortar gap & to establish a template for my (brick) wall stays when I begin laying course. Wall stays will be incorporated probably every third CBU course.

1st Column To Gate

CBUs squared off on each pad

Wall Stay(s) Template

Mortar Gap(s)

Time for some breakfast.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 5th, 2021 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling - who cares
Old June 5th, 2021, 08:10 AM

Chris - I've invoked upon you the responsibility of garnishing as much fun as you can - on my behalf - since, I apparently measure fun in a very wicked manner & I am having a difficult time cruising about other than short trips to the club to knock a little white ball around. Has this really become the epitome of my life? Have fun on your cruises today. Sounds like a good time.
Norm - I'm trying, and having a great time so far with my car. It's still pretty new to me, as well as the cruise-in and show scene. It may get old hat and boring after awhile, but I'm loving it right now. My car gets alot of attention at events because you just don't see '67 4-4-2's around here. Although there has to be some in this area, I have never see another one yet at an event, and I've been to a fair amount of large ones now. I've seen every other year of 1st and 2nd generation 4-4-2's, but nary a '67! It's always fun to talk with guys who want to know about your car. You have a gorgeous car, you need to get it out to some events to show it off, unless that's just not your thing.

Man, I'm constantly amazed at your skill set! I can't wait to see the finished wall, it's gonna look great! Great progress and good luck moving forward!
Old June 5th, 2021, 09:55 AM

The weather forecast shows 107 degrees today and that ranks as “moderate” heat.

Old June 5th, 2021, 10:29 AM

Mike. I hope that your friend pulls through. Norm, ya gots talent. Speaking of old fire trucks, does anyone remember the '50's B movie with the giant octopus? I think that it was one of Harryhausen's ( I'll have to look it up) stop action type movie. Anyway besides having four '54 Oldsmobile as cop cars, there was also a late 1920's firetruck featured near the end. Corny movie that my brother and I watched as kids, though it popped up on one of the classic channels about 12-15 years ago. I hope to check out some cars on Tuesday, as the Back to The Bricks road tour is coming here. It is a rolling car show that the organizers of Back To The Bricks have early every year to bring attention to the big show in August, in Flint. They were here in 2017, just have to watch for rain that may be coming about then.

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 5th, 2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old June 5th, 2021, 10:39 AM

Heh, heh, I can't believe how many of his movies that I watched while growing up. I didn't know that Mighty Joe Young was one of his.

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 5th, 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old June 5th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Always room for one more

Well, rain. Got my brake pads and got the truck taken back apart, and it starts raining. So I get the truck put back together and it stops raining. That was my chance for the day, I'm not playing yoyo with a tire assembly that weighs as much as me. Eh, it's break time anyway who cares.

So remember a couple weeks ago I said my neighbor and his friend were poking around my shop, and the friend said he really wanted the parts car Barracuda and wanted to restore it? I really didn't want to sell it but my neighbor said hey it will be a few dollars to put towards another project. Since it was sitting on his trailer I figured he wanted the trailer back, so I figured what the heck, I still have xx number of projects. So I took it over to the guy, he gave me a few bucks, and that was that. Today I'm looking on marketplace for Valiants(because I'm the Valiant Hero) and what pops up but a yellow 68 Barracuda for 2500!! That's more than quadruple what he gave me for it. It's all cleaned up, you can tell he just pressure washed it right where I dropped it on the driveway. The loose trim that was on the inside I assume went in the trash. So now I'm thinking that my neighbor took him to my place to pick something out so he could make money off me. I'm sure he'll get a cut of what it actually sells for. Now, I don't mind if a friend is looking around my place when I'm not there, but holy hell talk me out of something to make money off me? Even if my neighbor wasn't in on it, how shitty of that guy to do that. How can I ever talk to my neighbor again, if I asked him he'd deny it either way. My God, how despicable.

All the goodies I brought home from my Mom's went in the freezer, and I ate what I left out during the week. So I think I'll get pizza for my dinner. Might even forego MASH for the evening and put in a movie. I'm on Season 9 of MASH, almost done.

Old June 5th, 2021, 02:09 PM

That was flat out dirty Mike. I'd like to throw in a few four letter enhancers, but that was despicable!