The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Running On Empty

It was 93°F & 90% humidity. I haven't looked at cold/warm fronts (isobars), etc. & I only have heard 2nd hand from others & some local stuff thunder-boomers are going to be intermittent beginning tonight throughout the weekend. I hope we get plenty of the wet stuff. OK, time to cut rebar.
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:40 PM

Mike, Why did you ax about my Healey tag? inquiring minds

Dry as a popcorn phart down here
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Dry as a popcorn phart down here
I'm with you on that one! Speaking of what some refer to as colloquial Southern expressions there's a gal just up the ditch (ICW) from me who's a transplant from Louisiana & works in this old quaint little Southern restaurant\bar back in a slough of the Neuse River - the type w/ wood frame screen doors and mosquito netting surrounding an old porch. The first time I met her I was pleasantly surprised with her accent. Southerner's, I think, have a difficult time with corporate human resources since we all say to one another sweetheart, honey, baby, etc. Pleasant Southern terms which corporate America can't understand & terms instead "politically incorrect" and/or "intimidation" or, "hostile", or borderline "misconduct" - well, phuque corporate America's politically correct B.S. anyways. Well, this gal says to me "Whatcha gonna have sugar?" with the most delightful Cajun accent. She & I hit it off well each time I'm at that restaurant.

I cut the rebar. Tomorrow I'll make wire ties & pucks, wrap the rebar with ties and set the rebar on pucks. I've had more than enough fun for the day.

Old May 28th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Yowser. What an isobar map. Unbelievable how many high pressure systems and low pressure systems are moving across North America & colliding with one another - you don't see this mess very often - what a nightmare/disaster. The blue arrow depicts my location.

Old May 28th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I cut the rebar. Tomorrow I'll make wire ties & pucks, wrap the rebar with ties and set the rebar on pucks. I've had more than enough fun for the day.
Norm - Looks like you're making good progress! Nice job!
Old May 28th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Norm, Tell her ya want Lagniappe She will understand
Old May 28th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks, Chris.

James - I learned a new word 'Lan-Yap' - very cool.
Old May 28th, 2021, 11:23 PM

Mike, we don't make alloy wheels at my location. My guess is Ohio, where they make wheels for the trucking industry, but also OEM & aftermarket for the light truck applications. Planning out my meats for the weekend, rib eye steak, babyback ribs, and I'm thinking brats to round it out. I'll pick up flowers for the cemetery on Saturday. They put flags out by the office at the cemetery for us to put on the gravesites of veteran family members. They do have volunteers to put them on the gravesites, but they tend to miss a few.
Old May 29th, 2021, 03:10 AM

Got a little rain last night. Enough to settle the dust
Old May 29th, 2021, 04:25 AM

Good morning guys,

James - It's beening raining on and off here for 4-days, continuing our extremely wet Spring. Chilly (48) this morning at 0600 and light rain, just generally nasty. The rain is supposed to move out later this morning, with sunshine this afternoon thru Monday. Got to get out and mow this afternoon or early evening when the grass dries out.

On this Memorial Day weekend 2021, my condolences and sincere thanks go out to all my Old's friends who have lost friends or family members in the service of our country. I am blessed to live in the greatest country on this planet, and our men and women in uniform are a huge reason why we are!

Have a great day guys.
Old May 29th, 2021, 04:33 AM
Running On Empty

We have a no burn ban in effect along basically the entire Eastern Coastline of NC - at least my entire county is under a no burn ban.

As a veteran myself, I can appreciate all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Norm, Isn't no burn ban a double negative
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

James - How about this "no burn" ban.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:21 AM

How about burn ban
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

Filled my x6 five gallon gasoline fuel containers & thought I'd drop into Ace for a "look-see" since they keep sending me $5.00 off coupons. Sure enough, picked up a nice new concrete float trowel and found some excellent rebar stands @ 0.30 each - nearly identical to what I was going to fabricate but already done. Plus, they gave me a free (little) American flag on a wooden stick (~16" tall) - I stuck in the ground in the front of the house. Yesterday after golf I picked up my Husqvarna 223L gas trimmer from the shop (they installed a new carb/throttle/choke kit, etc.) and the traffic was insane. I believe this weekend is going to be filled with people around here.

James - Burn ban works even better! Are you heading Norte? I can only imagine the amount of traffic both on the highway(s) and boat traffic on the lake. The boat traffic here is going to be literally insane.
Old May 29th, 2021, 06:04 AM

Filled my x6 five gallon gasoline fuel containers & thought I'd drop into Ace for a "look-see" since they keep sending me $5.00 off coupons.
Norm - I've got to ask. Are you saying you filled six 5-gallon cans? Why so much gasoline???
Old May 29th, 2021, 07:41 AM

Norm Nope I don't do holidays including 4th of July

Not crazy about crowds or traffic
Old May 29th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yes, correct. Six five gallon containers.
Old May 29th, 2021, 08:37 AM

Chris - Yes, correct. Six five gallon containers.
Ok, I ain't gonna push on the "why so much" part, but I'm still curious???
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Running On Empty

Generator, riding mower, trimmer. If the power goes out I don’t plan to wait in line finding gas for a generator and I don’t fancy driving to a gas station each time I need gas for something. I was a Boy Scout - be prepared! 😂
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Running On Empty

James - Smart man. Why dampen your spirits surrounded by thousands of misfits on the road and drunken boaters. No place better than home. Food is better here, also!
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:16 AM

Generator, riding mower, trimmer. If the power goes out I don’t plan to wait in line finding gas for a generator and I don’t fancy driving to a gas station each time I need gas for something. I was a Boy Scout - be prepared! 😂
I hope there is no need for the generator! I probably only go through 7 or 8-gallons all season for mowing/trimming. With the way gas prices are going, guess I should count my blessings. Running 93 octane in both bikes and the 4-4-2 it may cost a fair amount more this season to enjoy my primary hobbies, but hey, ya can't take it with ya!
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:17 AM

I only have 3 and 1 5 gallon diesel [for the tractor]

Don't just just love the government gas spouts. One of my pet peeves
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful here today, after a night full of rain and thunder and lightning. When things dry out a little I've got some outside stuff to do. Mom said she didn't hear a thing all night. I don't know how she didn't.

Jamesbo I thought it might have been something clever. You said your goal for school was to get laid and get out. I knew a guy with a Corvette once, and his license plate frame said Do It In A Vette...If You Can . I suppose the name of the selling dealership is clever to the selling dealership.

Norm I can't stand the suspense! I want to see the whole thing done. It will look great. And will be there forever with as sturdy as you're making it. I'm of the notion that good fences make good neighbors.

Well after running all over town looking for breakfast, it's almost lunchtime. The list of things to do is long but they are all small things. My Mom thinks they will take me all day. We'll see. I do need to go get some paint and a few other things. That will be for the projects tomorrow.

Okay have a good day everyone. When is the actual Memorial Day? I'll have to look that up.

Old May 29th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Well, a couple days ago on Maggie's birthday I mentioned that we had got her two toys, one of which Monty had claimed as his. Now each of these stuffed toys were labeled as "Ultra Tough" for Large dogs, with a picture of a Rottweiler with one in it's mouth. They seemed very tough, made out of a very, very thick nylon fabric with heavy nylon stitching. Maggie originally chose the pink Pig, and promptly had the head chewed off in 15-minutes max! I've never seen a dog chew as hard as her. She gets something between her teeth and she grinds it like a damn Sawzall! We then had to take the pig away so she wouldn't eat the stuffing. Then the fight was on for the blue and black Shark Monty had chosen. Monty was guarding it with his life and repelling all attacks. He finally broke down and let sis join in the fun. The shark's still with us, but will probably have to head to the toy trash bin soon. I don't know where bulldogs rank in terms of chewing power, but it's got to be up there!

Monty guarding his shark! You can see the tail is already a little worse for wear!

With Maggie finally joining in, the shark never had a chance!
Old May 29th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Old May 29th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - That's some funny stuff right there. You'd make a good sports announcer. Love your dogs.

Mike - You are such a great guy for visiting your Mom as often as you do & addressing her maintenance needs. Kudos to you, buddy! The anticipation is going to run for some time Mike. Much like anything someone enjoys as a hobby, I enjoy this type activity especially when I know they're built correctly. I really hate half-A$$ED workmanship.

James - Those government gas spouts are gone on all my containers - they were the first things to get snipped off and modified. Several of mine don't have them - they're that old.

They're calling for some major thunder boomers this evening with severe storms as this front moves through - probably beginning ~8pm. We certainly need the rain.

Rebar raised & tied.

Old May 29th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Running On Empty

James - That's some great stuff. I remember Tillman from years ago when he was a puppy in training & learning on hard pavement. It's been some time since I watched his videos but I did catch a briefing when he passed away. What dedication from his trainer/owner, as well. Bombastic baby!
Old May 29th, 2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
James - Thanks a bunch for sharing that video, wife and I both watched it all. We've seen videos of bulldogs skateboarding and surfing before, but that is by far the best one we've ever seen!! We've actually tried to teach Monty, and he'll push and ride it maybe 10ft at the most, and then rapidly gets bored with it after a few tries.
Old May 29th, 2021, 10:51 AM

Chris - That's some funny stuff right there. You'd make a good sports announcer. Love your dogs.

Rebar raised & tied.
Norm - Thanks for the kind words about the pooches! Man, those columns won't be going anywhere, great job on the forms!
Old May 29th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Thanks for the kind words about the pooches! Man, those columns won't be going anywhere, great job on the forms!
Chris - Thanks. I could build a fence for much less cost - I'm actually (in reality) building more of a privacy wall I'd guess you could say. BTW, in case anyone who watched the video or saw images of my gate columns, the new fencing will have the same style cedar boards as I built for the gate(s). Each board will be separated from each other board by ~1" separation. The primary reason is to facilitate wind channels through the fencing otherwise there would be some extreme forces building up from wind - in particular, don't forget I reside in the land of hurricanes. My gate(s) I can actually lift & remove prior to a hurricane.
Old May 29th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Chris - Thanks. I could build a fence for much less cost - I'm actually (in reality) building more of a privacy wall I'd guess you could say. BTW, in case anyone who watched the video or saw images of my gate columns, the new fencing will have the same style cedar boards as I built for the gate(s). Each board will be separated from each other board by ~1" separation. The primary reason is to facilitate wind channels through the fencing otherwise there would be some extreme forces building up from wind - in particular, don't forget I reside in the land of hurricanes. My gate(s) I can actually lift & remove prior to a hurricane.
Norm - You have a beautiful home, I'd want a privacy fence also, to keep prying eyes from the auto shop away, and so I didn't have to see the traffic and commotion over there. Good choice!
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:02 PM

Ah yes, gas cans designed by a committee of idiots. I need to go to a couple of yard sales and see if I can find one or two of the old style cans. We have had 2.75" inches of rain since Tuesday night. It is needed, we are still 5" bolow average for the year. Now, if would only fall during the week for the rest of the year. Sunny and mild today, and a little warmer tomorrow and Monday (70ish). I was at the cemetery today with a fresh patriotic arrangement, and stoped to talk to a guy in his 50's near the closed office. He volunteers to put flags on the gravesites of Veterans, and he told me that the cemetery was a W.P.A. project, something that I never knew. There is a WWI cannon there that they want to restore. There is a group that had two of the same cannons restored for the Veterans Memorial Park, just a couple miles north of me. They did an excellent job. Hopefully the one at the cemetery will get restored as well. Thinking about watching Lawrence of Arabia tonight, been awhile, three hours long if I remember correctly, with a intermission in the middle. Gotta go make some BBQ sauce for the ribs.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155

Thinking about watching Lawrence of Arabia tonight, been awhile, three hours long if I remember correctly, with a intermission in the middle. Gotta go make some BBQ sauce for the ribs.
Hey Dan,
Sounds like you had a pretty nice day. Lawrence of Arabia, one of my all time favorites! Peter O'Toole's, Omar Sharif's, and Anthony Quinn's performances are all amazing. Very deserving of a Best Picture Oscar. Enjoy the movie and your ribs, those sound good!
Old May 29th, 2021, 06:33 PM

My boy [ US Army col retired,] told me the spouts on Jerry cans are referred to as "Donkey Dicks:"

I won't tell you what I call those )^_(*_&&%^*&()()_ government POS spouts

Norm, somewhere around here I've got a wire twisting/tying tool to tie rebar together I will never use again. If I find it it's yours
Old May 30th, 2021, 04:26 AM

Mike - You are such a great guy for visiting your Mom as often as you do & addressing her maintenance needs. Kudos to you, buddy! The anticipation is going to run for some time Mike. Much like anything someone enjoys as a hobby, I enjoy this type activity especially when I know they're built correctly. I really hate half-A$$ED workmanship.

James - Those government gas spouts are gone on all my containers - they were the first things to get snipped off and modified. Several of mine don't have them - they're that old.

They're calling for some major thunder boomers this evening with severe storms as this front moves through - probably beginning ~8pm. We certainly need the rain.

Rebar raised & tied.
Looks good Norm. Remember to tap forms while concrete is wet to get trapped air out and reduce honeycombs

Old May 30th, 2021, 04:42 AM

Dan, how is the couple that got in the motorcycle accident doing? I went from 2 places to one and so I have gas cans coming out my ears. Problem is they are all made up of pieces. I found that each brand of plastic gas can uses it's own thread/size. Usually a spout off one can won't fit another, but sometimes they will screw on , but not seal, so then you have a mess all over your quad or snowmobile, etc. I remember going to a swap meet and this guy was asking (and getting) big bucks for older plastic gas cans. He told me the new cans had the new govt. mandated spout that is a pain to use... I don't have any of those. Yet...
Yesterday went for a quad ride on the state trails with my buddy and his son in law and grandboys and his granddaughter's boyfriend. Son in law, 1 grandson and boyfriend were riding Husqvarna dirt bikes, FAST ones..., the rest of us on quads. There are basically 2 types of trails, the big ones used for snowmobiles in winter, and the narrow ones made for vehicles 50" wide and less. We were on the small trails, and I mean these are like riding on a roller coaster, real fun but danger around every corner, you are going within inches of trees, many times one on each side you have to squeeze thru. On a quad you only go about 10-15mph but can still wipe out. So, the 3 on the fast bikes were going like hell. The 2nd bike was the boyfriend, he wiped out and landed on the trail on his back. 3rd bike was a ways back and luckily saw him on trail and didn't hit him. After a minute or so the rest of us showed up on our quads. By time I got there, he was laying on trail wheezing and unconscious. We figure he hit one of the close trees knocking him off bike, then bike went a ways ahead and fell over, guessing that after he hit tree, helmet was pulled off, then he landed on trail on his back. After a couple minutes he came to but obviously had a concussion, he kept asking what was going on ?, and no he didn't get in a crash.... Called 911, it took about 30-45 mins for them to get there, They had a 6 wheel vehicle with a stretcher on it. They took him to hospital, he has a broken right arm, and maybe a ruptured liver, that was the last I heard, his brain is ok but took a big jolt and I'm sure he had a concussion. They were going to open him up and check the liver last I heard. WOW.. I felt so bad for the kid, well he has youth on his side and prolly will be just fine. Well, I guess youth was not on his side cuz prolly if he'd been older he would have been putting along like us old coots!
Old May 30th, 2021, 05:15 AM

Greg, That's awful. I hope the kid fully recovers There's alot to be said for old age and wisdom We can imagine what it's like to hit a tree better than the young ones
Old May 30th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Greg - x2 what James said! I'm really glad the kid was wearing a helmet!
Old May 30th, 2021, 07:31 AM

Good morning guys,
It's gonna be a real beauty of a day here today, full sun and a high around 70. Hoping maybe I can talk momma into going for a longer bike ride later this morning/afternoon.

I was thinking this morning about this question. What ever happened to the popularity of the Indy 500, and Indy car style racing in general? I remember many a Memorial Day weekend being at a family reunion at some State Park, with the guys gathered around a radio having a cold one and listening to the Indy 500. If we were home we'd have it on the TV. I loved seeing whether AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti would get another victory. I don't know the answer to this, but it it does bring back fond memories of Memorial Day weekends gone by. For Dan, Greg, and Jeff, we held a very high percentage of our family reunions (both sides of the family) at Yankee Springs Recreation Area on Gun Lake near Hastings. My family would also camp there alot during the summer, sometimes for 2 or more weeks at a time, and my Dad would commute to Battle Creek for work. Great memories!

Have a great day guys!