The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

Hopefully Greg is sleeping in this morning after having a fault-free leisurely cruise to Indianapolis. Chris is most likely helping his wife move restoration pieces. James has donned a pair of water skis and is practicing his 'side slide' & 'back wrap' maneuvers while Mike (the Valiant hero) moves & covers yard carnage. I'm digging a hole.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Think it's going to be hot today. Yahoo. Awful house was a good time, but didn't stay too long.

My neighbor was poking around at my shop the other day with a friend and the friend wanted the Barracuda parts car. There isn't much left of it. My neighbor called me and said he wanted it to put back together. I think the guy is crazy but he's adamant, So I'm gonna take it over to him today, he's only a couple miles away. Heck, I could use a little money to put towards something else.

A friend of mine is coming this afternoon to help me get some things out of the dogmobile. What's it been, three weeks that I went to Daytona and got those two engines? I've finally had enough of them being back there. I'm gonna put them in the living room, because the habit I've had with spare engines is they get left out side and then fill up with water. Counterproductive.

Other than that, I have some of my Mom's patio furniture that she finally wants back, I'm going to clean it up and then put a new blade on the lawn mower. Maybe wash a car after 4. Sounds like a full day.

Jamesbo there's a guy that just joined the forum that has a convertible that looks just like yours. Don't know if it has the same storied back seat.

Chris good luck with the car show.

Okay gotta get things moving. Have a good day everyone.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:35 AM
Always room for one more

The Valiant Hero. I like that. I'm sure I'm the only one who likes Valiants that much. Are you digging these holes by hand or do you have apparatus? Apparati?

Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:12 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Waving an ax. Hole #2 nearly complete.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 10:02 AM
Running On Empty

Images demonstrating a perspective of why I'm building the fence. Owner's of the garage are good people, but I still prefer my privacy.

View looking towards garage from my home.

View looking towards my home from garage.

View looking towards my home from garage.

View looking towards garage from my home.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 22nd, 2021 at 10:08 AM. Reason: sp
Old May 22nd, 2021, 10:11 AM
Running On Empty

Trending in a positive direction...

Bricks, Blocks & Rocks (#57)

Concrete

Carnage

Hole #1 with rock

Hole #1

Hole #3 roots

Hole #3

Hole #3 with rock
Old May 22nd, 2021, 11:54 AM

Norm, is your gate and the tree on your property line? Just curious as to why you are putting the fence on this side of the tree. I think that when you are done that it is going to look impressive. My back aches just from the thought of doing that much digging and concrete work. Wasn't always that way. Off to buy a squirrel baffle to keep the furry s.o.b.'s away from the Oriole feeder, and some hanging plants as well.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
Always room for one more

Good work Norm, I thought I asked you when you put the gate in if you were going to do a fence and you said no. Times change I guess. The fence will look nice.

Got that parts car delivered to the guy's house. He has a huge shop next to his house and does custom car work there. I met him some years ago when my neighbor took his Camaro over there to get touched up. Nice guy. Even had some lunch over there.

Nice and hot out. I know pretty soon Kenneth will come on here and say, I don't know why you wish for hot. I say the same thing to people who wish for snow. Really pretty day here though, I'm going to get a few things done outside.

My friend is coming over in a little while to help with the stuff in the dogmobile. That will be a relief getting that out of there. It's shaping up to be a pretty good Saturday.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, is your gate and the tree on your property line? Just curious as to why you are putting the fence on this side of the tree.
Dan - The gate & the tree are on my property - just inside my property line by ~1' - 2'. The tree is just about (but not quite) right smack dab in the middle of where a straight line fence should go if I attached it to the gate column. I could get by with erecting the fence on the other side of the tree (as suggested) but it would be a monumental amount of work setting a fence that close to the tree - the fencing span(s) would be far too long & removing any tree roots that near the base of the tree would require large amounts of dynamite (which I'm not opposed to - but I'd prefer to save the tree).
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I thought I asked you when you put the gate in if you were going to do a fence and you said no. Times change I guess.
Mike - Yeah, I guess it's a fence - let's call it a fence - it's more like a wall to be honest with 8'H columns and fencing 7'H. When I think of a fence I generally think more along the lines of enclosure fencing. It was not my original intention to put up this fencing, but there's too much traffic along that side of the garage - you're correct, times change.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:53 PM

Nice and hot out. I know pretty soon Kenneth will come on here and say, I don't know why you wish for hot. I scay the same thing to people who wish for snow. Really pretty day here though, I'm going to get a few things done outside.
It's very nice here, too. A cold front blew in and the high is gonna be only 88* . WooHo!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:53 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - My 68 year old back is not in the shape it was as a teenager; yet, I'm a believer in the notion that atrophy diminishes happiness and contributes to less longevity (well, in theory at least). I like the notion of use it or lose it & the more oxygen I can get delivered to the blood I think the better off I'll be in maintaining a modestly working back longer in years (that's the theory anyways).
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:17 PM

Good evening guys,
Mike - Glad you made a sale on the Baracuda and got it delivered ok! Norm - You've definitely been working your butt off, but it looks like you're making good progress.

I had a really nice time at the car show. It was hot, probably a high around 87 or 88 because it's still 85 right now at 6:00. Luckily, I found an end spot near a grassy border in the restaurant parking lot where the show was being held. The couple that parked next to me brought a shade canopy and pitched it in the grass and offered me a spot under it with them.. i was sure thankful for that!

Tons of really nice cars there and a wide variety, unfortunately for Mike there, were not as many nice Mopars there as usual. The couple that offered me a spot under their canopy did have a really nice Dart though, you'll see it in the pictures. Probably at least 200 cars there and they were only giving out a "Best of Show", Runner-up Best of Show, and 3rd and 4th place trophies, there were no classes, all cars and trucks competed against each other. No hardware for me, but like I said I had a great time speaking with all the owners and spectators, and my car got alot of interest. Here's several pics:

Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:20 PM

Here's a few more pics guys:

Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:24 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Glad you had a nice time. That shade canopy was nice to hide under. Great pictures! I like them all. Good showing.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Glad you had a nice time. That shade canopy was nice to hide under. Great pictures! I like them all. Good showing.
Thanks Norm, you're right, that canopy was a godsend! Don't know how I got a duplicate of the Mercury Comet Caliente in the download, but I'm not taking it out!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 22nd, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:34 PM
Running On Empty

But....this is so wrong!

Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:41 PM

But....this is so wrong!

Yes, that's pretty damn creepy!

Now what was done to this Cutlass is just plain wrong! Check out the engine bay!

Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:46 PM
Running On Empty

I was looking at that Cutlass and even zoomed in on it to see if I could make out what was under the hood. It appears like he's readying it for a future version of 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome'. Those wheels are ghastly.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:54 PM

I was looking at that Cutlass and even zoomed in on it to see if I could make out what was under the hood. It appears like he's readying it for a future version of 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome'. Those wheels are ghastly.
I talked to the owner, a younger guy, probably late 30's, works at a restoration and speed shop in the area. It's a supercharged Chebby LS engine in it, and you're right those wheels are ghastly, and the matte black paint is just plainly fugly! Blasphemous!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

What in the world is under the hood of that Cutlass? The large black tubular hose looks to be forced air induction from the radiator fan cowling into what? I can't see a topside to a internal combustion engine (I certainly don't see any carburetors). WTH

Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I talked to the owner, a younger guy, probably late 30's, works at a restoration and speed shop in the area. It's a supercharged Chebby LS engine in it, and you're right those wheels are ghastly, and the matte black paint is just plainly fugly! Blasphemous!
Ah, an LS. Oh well!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 05:11 PM
Always room for one more

As far as all those stuffed animals go, I think they belonged to his boyfriend. Lots of cool pictures Chris, thanks for posting them up. I think my favorite, aside from the 67 442 of course, is gonna be that first Chevelle. Love that color, though I'm a little biased. My first Cutlass is that color. Oldsmobile called it Reef Turquoise. I don't know what Chevy calls it but it's beautiful.

The place I was at today with the Bcuda the guy had a 70 Cutlass Supreme up on the lift. They were doing new exhaust. It was a 350 car, maroon with a black vinyl top and black SSII wheels, cutout bumper and auto parts store straight chrome tips. Also in there was a 67 Corvette that HAD a 427 tripower that was getting an LS put in, "so it was more driveable." Bullshit I say. It was driveable when it was new, go get a Mustang and make it driveable. I was told the 427 that came out was sold off "too cheap." Well, it's his car he can do what he wants. He gave this guy a lot of money to do the swap.

Got all the stuff out of the dogmobile. Went and got Arby's for our supper, I told Tiger we'd have something special tonight. Well, Arby's is special to him. Rather pleased with what all I got accomplished today. Tomorrow won't be as big of a deal, we're doing two hours over on Monday morning so the wind down period will start early and I'll try to hit the sack around 6. I'll be in inspection next week, so at least I'll get out a little early every day.

Okay think I'll pop in some MASH.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

I guess it's time to call it a day on a very funny off-beat up-note. We've all read his posts. I can't think of anything funnier than to read this post and call it a day! ROFLMAO Who the hell is he talking to?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1500-a-155650/
Old May 22nd, 2021, 05:44 PM

As far as all those stuffed animals go, I think they belonged to his boyfriend. Lots of cool pictures Chris, thanks for posting them up. I think my favorite, aside from the 67 442 of course, is gonna be that first Chevelle. Love that color, though I'm a little biased. My first Cutlass is that color. Oldsmobile called it Reef Turquoise. I don't know what Chevy calls it but it's beautiful.

The place I was at today with the Bcuda the guy had a 70 Cutlass Supreme up on the lift. They were doing new exhaust. It was a 350 car, maroon with a black vinyl top and black SSII wheels, cutout bumper and auto parts store straight chrome tips. Also in there was a 67 Corvette that HAD a 427 tripower that was getting an LS put in, "so it was more driveable." Bullshit I say. It was driveable when it was new, go get a Mustang and make it driveable. I was told the 427 that came out was sold off "too cheap." Well, it's his car he can do what he wants. He gave this guy a lot of money to do the swap.
Mike - I have to agree with you, that Chevelle was awfully pretty! I'm right there with ya too on the 427 tri-power to LS swap, WTH, who in their right mind trades a 427 tri-power for an LS. Any vintage big block is drivable when it's built and tuned correctly! I just hate seeing guys do that to such classic cars!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 05:49 PM

I guess it's time to call it a day on a very funny off-beat up-note. We've all read his posts. I can't think of anything funnier than to read this post and call it a day! ROFLMAO Who the hell is he talking to?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1500-a-155650/
OMG, what in the hell was that??? That boy much have just harvested some shrooms! Is he being serious, my head's still spinning!!!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

I have a different take on things regarding vehicles, boats, etc. During my youth (1960s - 1970s) many of my friends, and in particular many of my first cousins were into stock car racing - a lot of stock car racing - I mean every single weekend stock car speedway racing. There remain hundreds of transmissions, engines, chassis, bodies, rear-ends, wheels, etc., etc. in one barn alone on just one of my cousins' family barns - not to mention the dozen or so stock cars hidden in various barns to this day. A normal weeknight for them was to tear out one engine & replace it with another in several hours (a couple cases of Holiday beer returnables made these jobs easier) - it didn't necessarily matter what car it came from. The same with boats.

Today, as I look back on my 1967 442, 1972 442, 1967 Dodge Dart, 1968 VW Super Beetle, 1965 Opel Kadette Rallye Sport (to name several), it would never have occurred to me at the time there would come some day in my life when I would own a "classic". A vehicle which I had previously owned is now considered a classic. Some things I don't admire/like about what some people do to their vehicles, but I really have no qualms about what someone does to the car they own. So, it really doesn't bother me to see anyone cutting up old cars to be honest. Several of us used to put together $100 - $300 cars (which would now be considered classics) just to enter them in a Friday night demolition derby & completely destroy them.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
OMG, what in the hell was that??? That boy much have just harvested some shrooms! Is he being serious, my head's still spinning!!!
There is a history to this young man & (I believe) his brother (or similar relation - cousin?). Sometimes it's like a tornado reading his posts.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:22 PM
Always room for one more

The brother died a few years ago, this joker I've read puts on the psycho act because he thinks it sells more parts. I think he's a tool.

Norm I think people can do whatever they want with their cars as well. But when you and your cousins were cutting up racecars they were not valuable antiques. In my opinion the value of that Corvette has gone waaay down, especially since the original motor is gone. He will probably say the value has gone up, because if how much he spent. And, he can't even say he did it. Gee, I guess anything is possible FOR SOMEONE ELSE when you have enough money.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - So, you think that's what's going on? I honestly can never figure out WTH he is doing - really peculiar - like a nut case.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:04 PM

Some things I don't admire/like about what some people do to their vehicles, but I really have no qualms about what someone does to the car they own.
Norm - I read your sentence above 5-times, and it sounds like you're contradicting yourself within the same sentence???

Also, it would not bother me in the least to see someone swap out an engine or an entire drive train in an '80 Chrysler Cordoba or a '76 Ford Pinto, guess what I'm saying is there are classics, and THERE ARE CLASSICS. I don't want to come across as a car snob, plenty of parts on my car that aren't OEM, but to me there are just some cars that I hate to see lose their originality.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:16 PM

Mike - So, you think that's what's going on? I honestly can never figure out WTH he is doing - really peculiar - like a nut case.
If the poor guy really has mental issues, I feel sorry for him! If he's putting on some kind of act to perpetrate some type of scam, I wish there was some way to expose him! It's hard to believe that if most of his posts are similar to that one, that anyone would buy anything he's peddling. How could you believe anything he's saying when he comes across like that??? Sad either way!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I can see where you believe it's a contradiction; but, I don't think it is. I may not like something, but it's fine with me if an owner does what they want with their own car even if I don't like it or don't agree with it. Some people paint their houses an intrepid color which I don't like, I wouldn't do the same but I have no issues with people painting their homes whatever color they choose. They only need to please themselves, not me.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:23 PM

Chris - I can see where you believe it's a contradiction; but, I don't think it is. I may not like something, but it's fine with me if an owner does what they want with their own car even if I don't like it or don't agree with it. Some people paint their houses an intrepid color which I don't like, I wouldn't do the same but I have no issues with people painting their homes whatever color they choose. They only need to please themselves, not me.
Gotcha, I see where you're coming from now, and I'm of the same belief.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:53 PM

Hopefully Greg is sleeping in this morning after having a fault-free leisurely cruise to Indianapolis.
Yes, hopefully Greg made it to Indy safely! He had said he'd try to post some pics of the journey but we haven't heard from him. Maybe he's having issues with local Wi-Fi or his mobile data??? I'm guessing he'll post a bunch when he gets home.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 08:08 PM
Always room for one more

Norm some other people said they see him on facebook and he isn't nearly as incoherent. Douchebag comes to mind. Chris there was another thread not long ago where this guy tried to pull a fast one on someone and got called out. He went into freakzoid overdrive to throw people off. No one was having it.

So the guy that went with me today owns the trailer I was using, and when I dropped him off and the trailer, he showed me his latest acquisition. A 1922 Chevrolet. Remarkably good shape. I want to own a car when it's 99 years old, so I can own it when it turns 100. Sounds like it would be cool. I see cars that are well over 100 when I'm at the museum, but to actually have one at my house... I'd have a party.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 10:59 PM

Chris, nice pics, thanks for posting.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, nice pics, thanks for posting.
You're

Dan - You're welcome, glad you enjoyed them!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 06:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Had a nice visit with a couple of the guys, now it's time for the regular Sunday routine. Walmart. Got a few things to take care of today then off to bed early.

And that's that. Beautiful out. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 07:59 AM

Norm, "A pair of water skis" I learned to slalom when I was 9.

BTW nice holes did you have to permit the project

Chris, Nice pics, thanks, Like the lady said when she kissed the cow " It's all a matter of tatse"