The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Hey guys,
Here's a couple pics of my wife's latest creation. This piece was originally the top part of a 2-piece china cabinet/buffet. She got the top china cabinet part by itself for free. It was originally dark brown with glass in the doors and glass mirrors on the back of the inside. She decided to put legs on it and make it it's own free standing china/display cabinet. She decided to make it farmhouse style via the color scheme, removing the glass from the doors and replacing them with chicken wire, and covering the back mirrors with textured woodgrain wall paper. The piece also has working interior lighting. I know I'm very biased, but I think the final product is stunning!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 16th, 2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 16th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hey guys,
Here's a couple pics of my wife's latest creation. This piece was originally the top part of a 2-piece china cabinet/buffet. She got the top china cabinet part by itself for free. It was originally dark brown with glass in the doors and glass mirrors on the back of the inside. She decided to put legs on it and make it it's own free standing china/display cabinet. She decided to make it farmhouse style via the color scheme, removing the glass from the doors and replacing them with chicken wire, and covering the back mirrors with textured woodgrain wall paper. The piece also has working interior lighting. I know I'm very biased, but I think the final product is stunning!
Nice job!
Old May 16th, 2021, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Nice job!
Thanks Norm, I'll let her know!
Old May 16th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Always room for one more

It was a fruitful couple hours at the shop today. Some time this week I'm gonna see if I can get 5 gallons of 100LL for the white DUKW and crank it up and move it. Walmart was its usual boorish self. Can something inanimate be boorish?

Chris that's an interesting take on the top of the china cabinet. I've seen people use the tops as upper cabinets in the kitchen. Quite versatile pieces.

Norm good show taking home the money. My Dad was a lefty and had a set of clubs. I don't know why he never played. I kept them around awhile because it was a novelty having left handed clubs. I went out a few times with some buddies and played and the first couple holes I could hit the ball straight and far. Then it went down hill and I could barely keep it on the grass. It isn't the game for me but I do like the transportation.

Jamesbo isn't that something you can put in your will, no eulogy longer than 2 minutes? Sounds like something Lewis Grizzard would talk about.

Work tomorrow. I'll be at my desk all week, so it will be getting out at regular time. But I'll be able to come home and do something and not fall asleep on the couch. I'll be so happy when the rest of the guys are up to speed and I won't have to do inspection but once every few weeks.

Well I hope everyone's week starts out good. Supposed to be nice all week, and there's no complaint from me. Good night everyone.

Old May 16th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Jeff

That's a nice repurpose of the hutch. I like it.

Brought my Dad home from the hospital on Friday. Went in with a brain bleed on Sunday (Mother's Day, 12 years after he had a major heart attack, also on Mother's Day), and we seem to have dodged a bullet. He had a cavernoma bleed, which resolved itself. Speech is rough at times, stumbling over a word or two, and fine motor skills with the right hand affected. I'm taking him and my Mom to live with my sister for the foreseeable future.

So, here's my short, brief pandemic rant. We're 15 months -- 15 MONTHS -- into this sh*t, and because people are still incapable of realizing that this virus is pretty bad, I wasn't able to see him at all while he was in there. We STILL have hospitals with a no visitors policy. NO VISITORS. Not even my Mom. Didn't matter that we had our vaccination cards with us.

Please, anybody that reads this thread that isn't vaccinated and refuses to wear a mask indoors or in close proximity to others -- reconsider. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Stop with the excuses and the what-if's.
Old May 16th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I do believe Walmart (itself an inanimate object) can be boorish since it's generally occupied by a denizen of poorly mannered neanderthal's wearing Walmart clothing they found in a back street alley dumpster. Why 100LL AvGas? Golf transportation can be fun - they're like go-karts.
Old May 16th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

Jeff - Sorry to hear of your Dad's recent health issue, but happy to hear it has resolved. I suspect the leaking blood was able to be absorbed back into the brain tissue. Regarding COVID-19 vaccinations - yeah, don't even get me going on that theme. Fort those who refuse I say to them "Bless Your Heart".
Old May 16th, 2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
That's a nice repurpose of the hutch. I like it.

So, here's my short, brief pandemic rant. We're 15 months -- 15 MONTHS -- into this sh*t, and because people are still incapable of realizing that this virus is pretty bad, I wasn't able to see him at all while he was in there. We STILL have hospitals with a no visitors policy. NO VISITORS. Not even my Mom. Didn't matter that we had our vaccination cards with us.

Please, anybody that reads this thread that isn't vaccinated and refuses to wear a mask indoors or in close proximity to others -- reconsider. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Stop with the excuses and the what-if's.
Jeff - Thanks for the compliment on the hutch re-purposing, I'll let my wife know.

Glad you appear to have dodged a bullet with your Dad, and though not ideal, I'm glad he has not lost a tremendous amount of function. I know the hospital situation must have been EXTREMELY frustrating. You may have heard me mention that both my daughters have their BSN and are nurses at different hospitals. I asked them about the "No Visitors" policy awhile back and they told me they thought it would stay in place for a long time because you kind of have to look at hospitals like you do nursing homes. So many of the hospital patients already have underlying health conditions or are immuno-depressed, so they just can't take the chance of the virus getting into the hospital. Sucks I know. I hope your Dad's rehab goes well and he makes a full recovery..
Old May 16th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Jeff

Yeah, my little sister is an RN, and my sister in law is a respiratory therapist. I understand fully why they wouldn't let us in, especially with MI's positivity rate being what it is. I should make it clear, I was not frustrated with the hospital's policy. I'm more frustrated by the lack of understanding by a certain segment of the population. Hell, I was talking with a German colleague based in Frankfurt recently, and she was shocked to hear that our restaurants and bars are open, and that so many of us have access to the vaccine. As of 2 weeks ago, Germany still had those businesses closed.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Old May 16th, 2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I really do like sun shine
You’d love it here then. It gets light at 4:30 am and doesn’t get dark until 8 pm.
Old May 16th, 2021, 09:40 PM

Chris, once again your wife's skills stand out. Nice job.
Jeff, Amen.
Old May 16th, 2021, 10:36 PM
GCH

Glenn - Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear your Fatbob is acting up because of the side stand sensor. Hopefully they can erase that function and it solves the starting issue. I always loved the sound of the older Harleys, but don't think I would have enjoyed the vibration of those older bikes.

Also good to hear your 98 is water tight. I think I've already admitted I don't want to take the chance of taking my car out in a steady rain if I don't have to. At least it's not a garage queen, I do take it out and drive it just for the joy of driving it. I put almost a 1000-miles on it last summer, and already about a 150-miles so far this summer.
Yes the vibration can be hard , had an Heritage TC 88B -02 with a carburator before the FB and
the balanced engine was great . Well , i avoid to drive the 98 or bikes if it rains but sometimes if happens.
Must say that your wife doing an awesome job on the furniture .

Old May 17th, 2021, 04:09 AM

Old May 17th, 2021, 04:29 AM
Running On Empty

James - Gorgeous picture. Looks nice & wide. Stay out of the sand, James.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Jeff, sorry to hear about your Pa, but sounds like all will be alright... Chris wife's skills are excellent! Had a great day yesterday, went down to old stomping ground and visited with a few old buddies. Took old truck and put about 200 miles on it, no troubles, still haven't decided if going to Indianapolis, I would be alone so not sure if I want to... I am hoping maybe Scott (Oldspackrat) will be there he lives in Indy... Take care guys.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, once again your wife's skills stand out. Nice job. Jeff,
Dan - Thanks, I'll pass pass on your kind words.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Must say that your wife doing an awesome job on the furniture .
Glenn - Thanks for the compliment, she'll really appreciate it!
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Jeff, sorry to hear about your Pa, but sounds like all will be alright... Chris wife's skills are excellent! Had a great day yesterday, went down to old stomping ground and visited with a few old buddies. Took old truck and put about 200 miles on it, no troubles, still haven't decided if going to Indianapolis, I would be alone so not sure if I want to... I am hoping maybe Scott (Oldspackrat) will be there he lives in Indy... Take care guys.
Greg - Glad your old truck ran well, and it's always fun to spend time with old friends! Thanks for the compliment on my wife's skills, she really does seem to have a knack for it. If you don't mind saying, when, where exactly, and what is name of the swap meet near Indy. I'd like to look it up and see what it's all about? It might be something I'd be interested in checking out? It's about 4-hours from me to Indy, pretty much a straight shot on 70E from StL. When I go home to Michigan I always go that way, take the 265N bypass around downtown Indy, and then hit 69N to Marshall to 94W to Battle Creek.
Old May 17th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Good morning guys,
Got up late for me this morning at 0800, but Maggie had got me up at 0330 to go outside. So I let her out, and I wait, and I wait, and I wait, and I call her, where the hell is she??? I have to go put some pants and a shirt on to go find her. Well, she's just sitting under the deck where I can't see her, just taking in the world at 0330 in the morning, Ugh!

We've been in an extremely wet and cool weather pattern for at least a month. Mid-60's for highs, and rain on what seems like over 50% of the days. It rained both days over the weekend and is raining steady again today, with a high of 67 projected. Looks like we may go straight from early Spring to mid-Summer. On Friday they're projecting a high of 87!

Wife's actual b-day is tomorrow. No special plans for it because we've already celebrated it 3 times with different groups of family members. No other big plans for this week. Looking forward to seeing that big ball of orange in the sky come Wednesday, seems like forever since I've been for a ride on one of my bikes.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old May 17th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Norm Tanks, That's 17 with the typical Fazio bunkers that you need a step ladder to enter and exit
Old May 17th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Running On Empty

I played my worst game of golf thus far this year. Don't ask - it sucked donkey dong. Playing six days in a row inclusive of the tournament has knocked the dog dick out of me.

I managed to place my order for the fencing materials today to be delivered tomorrow. They don't have any Type S Premix Mortar so I had to grab 38 60# bags from Lowe's this morning. Guess what I get to unload the remainder of the day. Argh. Time for nutrition before that workout.
Old May 17th, 2021, 01:34 PM

I played my worst game of golf thus far this year. Don't ask - it sucked donkey dong. Playing six days in a row inclusive of the tournament has knocked the dog dick out of me.

I managed to place my order for the fencing materials today to be delivered tomorrow. They don't have any Type S Premix Mortar so I had to grab 38 60# bags from Lowe's this morning. Guess what I get to unload the remainder of the day. Argh. Time for nutrition before that workout.
Norm - Doesn't surprise me you had a bad day after playing that many days in a row, the body and the mind are tired! I'm sure you'll bounce back soon if you don't cripple yourself with all those bags of mortar. Don't kill yourself!
Old May 17th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Chris, Norm is just bulking up like Bryson so he can hit 320 yard drives like me
Old May 17th, 2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Norm is just bulking up like Bryson so he can hit 320 yard drives like me
Can you get Norm a Sherpa to do all his heavy lifting and toting, I'm afraid he's gonna really mess up his golf game if he bulks up too much! Without all those winnings coming in how's he ever going to make ends meet??? LoL
Old May 17th, 2021, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

You guys crack me up. It took me longer to setup a platform (1hr) than it did to unload the pallet (30min). I need to ensure the mortar remains dry (over the next several months) so I setup the platform in the man-cave. It's about the same height as my truck bed so it virtually eliminates bending/lifting below the waist. I removed the tailgate, backed the truck in & made short-order of it. As I said earlier the remaining materials are supposed to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow I'll work on ensuring my mixer is up to the task, clean the electric motor as best I can, lubricate everything, etc. - fingers crossed.

Old May 17th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Was at my desk and we finished up before 2 and got out. Beautiful here. I went and puttered around at the shop a little while when I got home.

Found the guy that runs the gas pump at the little airport my shop is at, but I only had $12, so at 4.45 a gallon that got me exactly 2.7 gallons. That's okay. I want to put it in the white DUKW so the poor valves have a little lead to slam against. I can put regular pump gas in to fill it more. Didn't get to start it up today, it got too l late. I'll try it tomorrow.

Norm I see you've beat me to the 7:55 post. I'll see it in a minute. I'm gonna head off to bed in a minute. Slept all night last night without Tiger getting me up, I'm going to see if he wants to repeat that again tonight.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that's awesome. One time I bought a pallet of mortar when I was working on my wall at the lake. I went to Lowes and wouldn't you know someone had managed to get a pallet out into the aisle, and for some reason the store people were going to have to hand stack it back in the rack. They were so happy I was going to buy the whole thing they got the forklift and loaded it into the back of my pickup. Why they couldn't have forked it back into the rack I don't know, but it saved me loading it. By the way, I unloaded it four bags at a time in the wheel barrow, and pushed it, I'd say about 500 feet from the end of the driveway to the lake. That was not fun. Oh and I mixed it all in the wheel barrow with lake water by hand. That was fun.

Okay, now like I used to say when I had a CB in my bedroom and it was time to sleep, I'm 10-7 off the key.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:08 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - If you moved a pallet of mortar bags by wheel barrel 500' & mixed it all in a wheel barrel you worked your keester off! Nice job.
Mike's 10-7 I'm still 10-8.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:11 PM

You guys crack me up. It took me longer to setup a platform (1hr) than it did to unload the pallet (30min). I need to ensure the mortar remains dry (over the next several months) so I setup the platform in the man-cave. It's about the same height as my truck bed so it virtually eliminates bending/lifting below the waist. I removed the tailgate, backed the truck in & made short-order of it. As I said earlier the remaining materials are supposed to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow I'll work on ensuring my mixer is up to the task, clean the electric motor as best I can, lubricate everything, etc. - fingers crossed.
Norm - Nice job! Should have known you'd have a blueprint for how you were going to get all that mortar unloaded and stored with minimal damage to yourself! I sure would have loved to have had you working as a program manager on my team, always thinking 2-steps ahead!
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm that's awesome. One time I bought a pallet of mortar when I was working on my wall at the lake. I went to Lowes and wouldn't you know someone had managed to get a pallet out into the aisle, and for some reason the store people were going to have to hand stack it back in the rack. They were so happy I was going to buy the whole thing they got the forklift and loaded it into the back of my pickup. Why they couldn't have forked it back into the rack I don't know, but it saved me loading it. By the way, I unloaded it four bags at a time in the wheel barrow, and pushed it, I'd say about 500 feet from the end of the driveway to the lake. That was not fun. Oh and I mixed it all in the wheel barrow with lake water by hand. That was fun.

Okay, now like I used to say when I had a CB in my bedroom and it was time to sleep, I'm 10-7 off the key.
23 years or so and some miles as well, my old man had his 73 Econoline overloaded with quick-crete bags and brought it home. I unloaded it on the drive. He got another load. I then wheelbarrowed 4 at a time around the house, and we threaded behind, through, and above the cypress roots on our eroding little point for a thoroughly rough weekend making a seawall. So, I sympathize. Not sure I could do it as easily now.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - During my last career (tenure w/ Microsoft) program managers took me to lunch. I used to create Microsoft Project Gantt Charts for the sales force to employ on contract proposals. Since I was already familiar with the software, I simply sent my updated Gantt Chart(s) to the Program Manager(s) with my tasks already listed demonstrating workflow for them to roll-up into corporate.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:58 PM

Chris, swap meet is called Vintage Wheels Swap Meet its at the fairgrounds in Franklin IN. I don't think I will be going unfortunately.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:12 PM

Chris - During my last career (tenure w/ Microsoft) program managers took me to lunch. I used to create Microsoft Project Gantt Charts for the sales force to employ on contract proposals. Since I was already familiar with the software, I simply sent my updated Gantt Chart(s) to the Program Manager(s) with my tasks already listed demonstrating workflow for them to roll-up into corporate.
Norm - I was on the other side of the fence as the "buyer". Being a Govt. Contracting Officer Representative in my early days of Govt. contracting, I wrote the Performance Work Statements or Statements of Work to solicit goods or services from the commercial sector.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, swap meet is called Vintage Wheels Swap Meet its at the fairgrounds in Franklin IN. I don't think I will be going unfortunately.
Greg - Thanks, I just found the website and checked it out. Looks like it would be a good time and there is a car show too. I see that it is happening this coming weekend. I already have plans, so I can't go anyway. Maybe next year!
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - I was on the other side of the fence as the "buyer". Being a Govt. Contracting Officer Representative in my early days of Govt. contracting, I wrote the Performance Work Statements or Statements of Work to solicit goods or services from the commercial sector.
Chris, Gotcha - Well, I had SOW sent to me far too often. I was in the private sector then jumped into the public sector - every SOW I read originated @ JSOC. If it required Network Monitoring & Management it was tossed over to me to address. Unfortunately, once you reached some plateau (the ability to read, write & comprehend) they suspected you knew how to address a SOW. Well, they were correct, but it created tons of work for me. I was the Principal Consultant Engineer responsible for implementing the Management & Monitoring software (for any particular JSOC facility) & the manner in which these SOW got doled out was to send them to the engineers who knew how to implement the software and the tasks/timelines required. Afterwards, they'd review my SOW Gantt Chart to accommodate total bid proposal. Working on SOW really was very, very difficult to accommodate because it required very meticulous and granular thinking on top of what I was already tasked to perform. I do not miss my 24x7 work weeks in the least.
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:11 PM

Chris, Gotcha - Well, I had SOW sent to me far too often. I was in the private sector then jumped into the public sector - every SOW I read originated @ JSOC. If it required Network Monitoring & Management it was tossed over to me to address. Unfortunately, once you reached some plateau (the ability to read, write & comprehend) they suspected you knew how to address a SOW. Well, they were correct, but it created tons of work for me. I was the Principal Consultant Engineer responsible for implementing the Management & Monitoring software (for any particular JSOC facility) & the manner in which these SOW got doled out was to send them to the engineers who knew how to implement the software and the tasks/timelines required. Afterwards, they'd review my SOW Gantt Chart to accommodate total bid proposal. Working on SOW really was very, very difficult to accommodate because it required very meticulous and granular thinking on top of what I was already tasked to perform. I do not miss my 24x7 work weeks in the least.
Norm - I spent 18-years of my +35-year Govt. career in procurement, there's nothing easy about it for the Govt. or the contractor, especially when the product or service you're procuring is highly technical in nature. I think you can imagine the complexity of the SOW for the post processing of the radar mapping data collected during the Space Shuttle mission I told you about. It was a first of it's kind radar technology, used to map the world in 3D on a global scale. First we had to solicit for a contractor/s to build a prototype end-to-end system capable of processing the unique data into the desired products. Then, since two contractors (Boeing and BAE) both produced acceptable systems, there was a separate solicitation for the actual production work to see which contractor would provide the best bang for the buck, and would therefore get the bulk of the production contract. I wrote SOWs for both those procurements and sat on the evaluation board for each. Long days, long nights, long weeks, huge $'s at stake, and all the time knowing our fine men in uniform were counting on the final products to find and kill the bad guys.
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Running On Empty

If I discussed in a public open forum the work I performed for USSOCOM/JSOC I'd have Men In Black knocking at my door.
Old May 17th, 2021, 08:40 PM

If I discussed in a public open forum the work I performed for USSOCOM/JSOC I'd have Men In Black knocking at my door.
Believe me I know, the Space Shuttle mapping project is one of the few programs/projects I can speak openly about because it eventually ended up in the public domain. Even the highest fidelity data from that mission is now available for public order from the USGS's EROS Data Center due to its applicability to urban planning, flood control, natural disaster relief etc. The data is called Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) Digital Terrain Elevation Data Level 2 (DTED 2). It was nice to work on sort of a legacy project my kids and grandkids can actually read about in the history books.
Old May 18th, 2021, 02:34 AM

Norm...can I ask what your doing with all those bags of mortar mix?
Old May 18th, 2021, 03:04 AM

I love acronyms