The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well my friend is back home. I took him to the airport this afternoon and saw him off, and he called a minute ago to say he landed and they were on the way home. We had a good visit, even though we were working. I really, really resent having to do something because someone who isn't paying my taxes has their knickers in a bunch.

It's been beautiful all weekend and up to now. Since I haven't been at work I keep thinking it's the weekend, but tomorrow is Hump Day and we're well on our way to the next weekend.

So we are back to normal here in the Greater Stockbridge Area and I gotta get the house back to normal and go to bed early tonight for work in the morning.

Norm I don't know about all that, I'll have to wait until the first time I fire this thing up and time everything. Aside from the long startup time, periodically during my use the screen will freeze, the cursor won't do anything, and everything just hangs. It's takes up to a minute for everything to start working. In my experience, when a computer starts that game it's time for a new one.

Chris I had a neighbor once who had an early Demon. Plum Crazy, black vinyl top, black interior, bench seat column shift. He bought it when he was a kid. He said he almost didn't buy it because he didn't think the column shift was cool. He said he was so glad he did buy it because the whole car was cool and the column shift was a non issue soon after he bought it. One of those keep it forever cars.

Okay gonna start the wind down process. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 20th, 2021, 03:58 PM

Snow eh? That "cold front" passed through here and dropped the temps from the mid-90s to the low 80s. We're back up to 90 again, but another "cold front" will pass through and drop us to the low 80s in a couple of days. Y'all in the center of the country will likely get more snow out of that one, too.
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I had a neighbor once who had an early Demon. Plum Crazy, black vinyl top, black interior, bench seat column shift. He bought it when he was a kid. He said he almost didn't buy it because he didn't think the column shift was cool. He said he was so glad he did buy it because the whole car was cool and the column shift was a non issue soon after he bought it. One of those keep it forever cars.
Mike - I completely agree with the point you're making. The discussions with enthusiasts at shows or cruises that I was referring to usually center around someone stating to me that my car can't be a real 4-4-2 because it doesn't have a manual 4-speed. Then when they see the automatic shift on the column that usually enforces their belief even more. I've had these discussions so many times I started taking documentation to events just to prove to guys that Old's actually made more auto trans 4-4-2's in 1967 than they did 4-speeds. These discussions don't annoy or aggravate me, it's actually kind of fun to educate folks on the brand. The only time it's really aggravating is when I have to educate a so called "judge", which has happened in two of the four judged shows I've had my car in to date. Now I try to be near my car when the judges come around just in case they doubt it's a legit 4-4-2. The most fun thing about my car to date is that out of all the events I've been to so far, my car is the only 67 4-4-2 that's been there. I've seen several 65's and 66's, but no 67's, and in this case it's pretty fun to stand out in the crowd!
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

Norm I don't know about all that, I'll have to wait until the first time I fire this thing up and time everything. Aside from the long startup time, periodically during my use the screen will freeze, the cursor won't do anything, and everything just hangs. It's takes up to a minute for everything to start working. In my experience, when a computer starts that game it's time for a new one.
What did you say your computer was like four or five years old? Highly unlikely you need a new computer unless you don't want to fix the one you have - your call. The most likely culprit is a program you have loaded on your computer and/or a device driver which is incorrect, outdated, incompatible with your OS. Look at your programs/applications and see which program you have never used and start deleting programs. It's not the computer most likely. Most likely you have a funky programs and/or application/hardware driver which is causing the computer to hang.

What OS is installed on your computer? Laptop, tablet, desktop PC?
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Y'all in the center of the country will likely get more snow out of that one, too.
Kenneth - I sure as hell hope not! I sure hope this is Winter's last hurrah, it's putting a damper on my springtime fun. There's supposed to be a "Cars, Coffee, and Donuts" event at a well respected performance and restoration shop about 50-miles South of me this coming Saturday. Really hoping this weather moves out and I can go down there for an enjoyable morning of car talk.
Old April 20th, 2021, 05:24 PM

Looks like you'll be safe from more snow, but you might need to bring an umbrella.

Old April 20th, 2021, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Looks like you'll be safe from more snow, but you might need to bring an umbrella.

Kenneth - That's really wild you pulled up the extended StL forecast for me, thank you. I say it's wild because I literally just got done looking at our extended forecast on the "AccuWeather" site. It showed pretty much the same thing, not really any chance of snow after Thursday, but a high chance for rain Friday and Saturday. Right now I'm not too optimistic about a car event early Saturday morning. AccuWeather was actually showing a high chance of thunderstorms Saturday. If it happens it happens, if not, there's a whole lot of summer and events coming up.
Old April 21st, 2021, 03:39 AM

Hey guys. A really good day in barn yesterday, friend came over and we put box back on frame. Later I put rear fenders on, good to finally see progress. Today I plan to put taillights and tailgate back on, then put in the seat I got from a 03F250.
No we never got any snow in the last few days, it was cold enough though. Our lake neighbors, who have their house down south of Detroit near Toledo did get some though there. If it warms back up in the next few days I plan to get out my boat, so then I can get out the Olds, that will be good!

Old April 21st, 2021, 05:14 AM

Looks GREAT Greg
Old April 21st, 2021, 05:42 AM

Greg - Wow, you're rolling now, you have made some real progress! ​THAT'S REALLY SHARP! Continued luck with your efforts.
Old April 21st, 2021, 08:38 AM

Looking good Greg. Speaking of snow, it was putting down a few flurries awhile ago, coating the lawn, but it has already dissipated.
Old April 21st, 2021, 09:20 AM

Good morning guys
My wife woke up around 4:00 am with chills, a fever of 99.5, and severe muscle aches after getting our 2nd Moderna shot yesterday. She's a pretty tough gal, and I know she's really feeling bad if she even mentions she's not feeling well. She's crashed out on the reclining couch with a blanket wrapped around her right now. As for me, at least so far, I've got no symptoms other than a slightly sore arm at the injection site. I'm going downstairs to do my lifting workout here in a minute and that will work that soreness out of there.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 21st, 2021, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day out but windy and cold. Precursor to rain this weekend. Ah well, can't be nice always.

Work was good. We drug it out till the end and still were 6 wheels short. This after the lead brought donuts and gave us a pep talk. I had to go see my insurance man after work. That was relatively painless.

Greg the work looks great. Can't wait to see it finished. I like the color.

Norm this is a laptop. When I started it up from cold this afternoon it took over a minute to go from screen saver to white screen. Then almost a minute to bring up the click bait screen, then about 20 seconds until the address bar would work. When this was new [I don't remember when, several years ago] it was rather quick.

Chris I'd love to build a 4 door cutlass with all the 442 stuff on it, console, gauges, rally wheels, etc. Some of the stuff you could get on a 4 door anyway, but how funny would it be to see the looks when they see a 4 door with a cutout bumper. Hey a scooped hood and trunk wing. I'd fit right in with all the other cars that have them and shouldn't.

I didn't sleep too good last night and I'm beat tonight. So I'm gonna watch a couple episodes of MASH and then hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 21st, 2021, 04:44 PM

Hi everyone.
Chris I'd love to build a 4 door cutlass with all the 442 stuff on it, console, gauges, rally wheels, etc. Some of the stuff you could get on a 4 door anyway, but how funny would it be to see the looks when they see a 4 door with a cutout bumper. Hey a scooped hood and trunk wing. I'd fit right in with all the other cars that have them and shouldn't.
Mike - Your build description reminds me of a few VC's I've seen with 442 badging, 442 style hood w/scoops, and even a wing. Crazy shi+, some would say blasphemous! Still better than a Chebby though! Have a good evening!
Old April 21st, 2021, 05:06 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - In your first post you stated:
The first powerup of the day it takes almost 15 minutes to come on and be useable.
In your last post you stated:
When I started it up from cold this afternoon it took over a minute to go from screen saver to white screen. Then almost a minute to bring up the click bait screen, then about 20 seconds until the address bar would work.
I don't find anything you said which resembles it taking almost 15 minutes to come on and be usable. I don't know what a click bait screen is and what address bar are you referring to? Address bar where - in a Browser?
Old April 21st, 2021, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

Hey Greg - I really don't want to have to search your previous threads for something you can simply answer.
What size engine & engine manufacturer is in your truck?
Is the engine installed in the truck?
What type transmission & engine manufacturer is in your truck?
Is the transmission installed in the truck?
Old April 22nd, 2021, 02:00 AM
Running On Empty

Donating a pint of my Claret @ 9:00am.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 04:12 AM

Port is the liquor for boys
Claret for men
But he who aspires to be a hero Must drink Brandy

[Stolen form forgotten poet]
Old April 22nd, 2021, 04:23 AM

Norm, the truck is fully functional, I took it back apart last fall. It was supposed to be a "patina" truck at first, basically because that is cheapest. I bought it as a basket case with unknown history. I have wanted a 6cyl stick truck for years. I put a 300 6 from a 85 F150 and 5spd trans from a 92 F150 in it , along with disc brakes in front ,etc. It drives great, but after driving it around a few years I realized it needed to be better. There was no window or door seals and boy did it rattle! So winter of 2020 it came back apart, doors fixed, new windows, etc. Then reassembled, now winter of 21 took off box, fixed rust in rear, and in process of putting back together. Then winter of 22 I plan to take apart front sheet metal, fix rust and reassemble. Finally probably in winter 23 plan to paint the whole truck.
You can check out my thread if you want, but it is too long, but look at the beginning and see what I started with, see link below.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ase-build.html
Old April 22nd, 2021, 04:57 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Norm, the truck is fully functional, I took it back apart last fall. It was supposed to be a "patina" truck at first, basically because that is cheapest. I bought it as a basket case with unknown history. I have wanted a 6cyl stick truck for years. I put a 300 6 from a 85 F150 and 5spd trans from a 92 F150 in it , along with disc brakes in front ,etc. It drives great, but after driving it around a few years I realized it needed to be better. There was no window or door seals and boy did it rattle! So winter of 2020 it came back apart, doors fixed, new windows, etc. Then reassembled, now winter of 21 took off box, fixed rust in rear, and in process of putting back together. Then winter of 22 I plan to take apart front sheet metal, fix rust and reassemble. Finally probably in winter 23 plan to paint the whole truck.
You can check out my thread if you want, but it is too long, but look at the beginning and see what I started with, see link below.
Greg - I am honestly blown away with your work. You have fantastic dedication - huge undertaking and excellent work. Way to go.

Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:10 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I got to thinking about your situation. You're most likely annoyed/frustrated & just want the laptop to "work" - you're not interesting in the troubleshooting aspect - the damn thing should just work & if you have to spend tons of time you'd rather just get another one. I'd hate to see you toss out $$ for (most likely) something which, IMO, is going to be quite easy to resolve for free. These type issues are so bloody easy for me to resolve, but the issue with assisting someone on a forum, via text, e-mail, etc. is labor intensive especially if you aren't familiar with how to do this stuff. For me, this stuff is a snap. I installed global network monitoring & management software on some of the largest organizations in the world and a client (your PC) computer is about the simplest it gets.

Are you running Windows 10 OS (Operating System) by any chance?

I'm happy to setup a Remote Desktop session from my home PC desktop to your laptop and you can just kick-back and watch as I troubleshoot your problem(s) & resolve your issue(s). It's very simple. We can talk on the phone, you can tell me the issue, watch me troubleshoot and get you back to the happy place.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:12 AM

Greg, You've taken a bucket of bolts and made something of it

GREAT work
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:14 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'd be surprised if there were any bolts on that truck to work with. Heck, there was hardly any metal left on that truck.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

I'm happy to setup a Remote Desktop session from my home PC desktop to your laptop and you can just kick-back and watch as I troubleshoot your problem(s) & resolve your issue(s). It's very simple. We can talk on the phone, you can tell me the issue, watch me troubleshoot and get you back to the happy place.
Norm - Ding, ding, ding, ding ding! I think your analysis of Mike's situation is spot on! So nice of you to offer your personal time and expertise to help a fellow member! You're A#1 in my book! I hope it works out.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Finally probably in winter 23 plan to paint the whole truck.
Greg - I checked out your build thread. Damn man, you got skills! Great job so far and she's gonna be a beauty for many years to come when finished. Thanks for posting on your progress.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 06:21 AM

That truck though!! WOW.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:45 AM

Damn Greg, youv'e done a lot with that truck. Great job.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 01:57 PM

Good afternoon guys,
My wife was feeling much better this morning after a rough 24-hours after our 2nd vaccine shot on Tuesday. I had nothing except for slight soreness at the injection site and it was gone this morning.

We went to pick up a dresser this morning that my wife is going to use as the base unit for a lighted hutch left over from another project. Nice here today, full sunshine, but kinda cool with a high in the high 50's. Supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday, so it's not looking good for the "Cars, Coffee, and Donuts" cruise-in event on Saturday morning.

There is a local car show that will probably be kinda small, at a small private Catholic School a week from Saturday if we have good weather. It's only about 10-miles south of me, down where my oldest daughter lives now. I'm definitely going to that if we have a decent weather day.

Need to get out and mow yet today sometime. Right now with the cool weather plus the sunshine it needs it every 4th-day, and with rain in the forecast the next two days if I don't get out there tonight I'll have a mess come Sunday.

Well, I hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 22nd, 2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got out a few minutes early today and came home and did nothing. That's okay, it was nice to not be under the gun for anything. It's nice here today, the wind has died down and it's sunny. A little cool for my liking. Just turned the heat back on in the house, something I didn't think I'd have to do again.

Norm I may have exaggerated a little. That one day it did indeed take 15 minutes for the computer to power up, somedays not as long, but other days yes, I turn it on and then go do something else. You are right, I want this thing to work and not have to work on it. The click bait screen, as I call it, is the first page that comes up when I turn it on, it's I think MSN, and it has all the "news" stories about what we should be up in arms about, what the Royal family is doing, how much I can save if I had X insurance, etc. The address bar is where you type in what page you want to go to. Yes this is Windows 10. Thanks for the offer of linking to my screen, but I think right now it would be a dull session because it works right most of the time. If it gets any slower we can do that, provided I haven't thrown it out the window by then.

I slept good last night but was tired all day. Early to bed again and hopefully tomorrow will be packed with energy. Being Friday, and payday, I should have some extra get up and go. No real plans for the weekend, just keep working at the shop in between rain showers.

Okay, gonna clean up a little then relax. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 22nd, 2021, 02:52 PM

Thanks for your nice comments on truck, guys. It really has been a learning experience and I have a lot to learn.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - No worries, buddy. BTW, what you're referring to as "click bait" is far, far past the operating system (Windows 10) firing up. That "click bait" screen is your Internet Browser (Edge, Mozilla, Fire Fox, etc. - whatever you're using). Heck you may have IE (Internet Explorer) loaded and using it which may be causing an issue. You may not be up-to-date on your Windows 10 Updates, as well. You mentioned Defragmentation - it shouldn't be interfering as it runs in the background all day on Windows 10, but you may not have it configured correctly. Really very simple stuff. If you need anything let me know - I'll check out your laptop for you.

Establishing the session is a snap in Windows 10 (Quick Assist).
Hold the Windows Key and the Control (Ctrl) key down, then press Q. In other words, Win + Ctrl + Q. The easiest way to find Quick Assist is to search for it in the Search Bar.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-21f6a9040bf3
Old April 22nd, 2021, 05:37 PM
Running On Empty

Unseasonably chilly and very windy - brrrrrrrr.
After donating a pint of my Claret, I began working on the sash window (despite the weather). For some odd reason I was taken over with a serious case of being tired - not exhausted, but seriously tired. I probably hadn't drank enough water. None-the-less, I took a 3.5 hr nap. That appears to have reset my clock.
Going to be chilly again tomorrow - especially at tee-time. Buggers!
Old April 23rd, 2021, 11:57 AM

Chilly, Feels like it's about time to go buy a Christmas tree

Old April 23rd, 2021, 12:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was, work. We dawdled all day, was ready to finish up around 1030, and of course our lead left early, and the bad lead came and said, we are in desperate need of A330 mains. We need to do three of them before we leave. Now, it's no secret that we've been short 330 mains for awhile, so what does the bad lead do? Makes sure they are the last wheels to come through. I'm sure in his mind he looks like a hero getting these wheels out in the nick of time. He really just looks like an idiot. We left about a quarter after 12. It was a toss up about the Awful house, guess what I decided?

Beautiful here and sunny and a little warmish-coolish. Gonna hit the tag office in a minute then go over to the shop and do probably not much. Well, put my new tags on anyway. Gonna rain tomorrow all day they say. Maybe I'll fire up the tractor and go make piles of stuff.

Norm I do have Microsoft Edge and Windows 10. Actually I was happy with Windows Vista like I had years ago. My best computer ever was a "custom" built one by some shop in the late 90s that was Pentium 2 and dial up. It was slow but didn't give me any trouble for years and years.

Chris I saw your comment on the other thread about the judges not knowing what a Cutlass Supreme 442 equipped was. Maybe if you just called it a 442 it would be easier on you. The Amphicar people think they are so funny when they tell everyone their Amphicar is half car and half boat. They go to the DMV and say this, and every time they are told, oh if it's a boat you have to go to the DNR. Then they back pedal and say it's a car that acts like a boat. And they get stuck in the same loop. I never, ever say my car is half boat. In fact, the Amphicar is an automobile, and nothing but an automobile. The fact that it swims in the water has nothing to do with the type of vehicle it is. When the DMV asks me, what is an Amphicar, I say, it's German. The trouble I have is the VIN is the same as someone's horse trailer and they keep wanting to tell me it's a trailer. Sheesh.

Tiger saw some bug go between the floor boards on the back porch and now wants to go out and dig at the floor. That bug is long gone but he persists. That and there's a bird that's built a nest inside an old non-working grille that's on the porch, and he tries to flip open the lid to get at it. Sometimes this guy can be quite a pain. I may need to relocate the bird, he just won't leave it alone.

Okay tag office. Friday! Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old April 23rd, 2021, 12:30 PM
Running On Empty

Played like poop - 43/43 - but the weather turned out very nice.
James - I hear you about the Christmas tree it was like that here yesterday. That sour cream on the side is hilarious.
Mike - you don’t need a new laptop, I need to fine tune it for you and put on the correct Ad Blocker for you & you’ll think you went to heaven. You should let them register the Amphicar as a trailer - less money.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 12:35 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris I saw your comment on the other thread about the judges not knowing what a Cutlass Supreme 442 equipped was. Maybe if you just called it a 442 it would be easier on you. The Amphicar people think they are so funny when they tell everyone their Amphicar is half car and half boat. They go to the DMV and say this, and every time they are told, oh if it's a boat you have to go to the DNR. Then they back pedal and say it's a car that acts like a boat. And they get stuck in the same loop. I never, ever say my car is half boat. In fact, the Amphicar is an automobile, and nothing but an automobile. The fact that it swims in the water has nothing to do with the type of vehicle it is. When the DMV asks me, what is an Amphicar, I say, it's German. The trouble I have is the VIN is the same as someone's horse trailer and they keep wanting to tell me it's a trailer. Sheesh.
Mike - You're right, probably would be easier on me. I actually enjoy educating spectators on the brand. What I don't enjoy are guys posing as "Judges" that don't know crap about anything except Chevys or Fords. Not a big deal, I don't lose any sleep over it, comes with the territory of having a car that is more unique than than your average run of the mill Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 05:55 PM
Always room for one more

Here's one. I bought a Dodge van from a church in North Carolina several years ago, with the intention of shipping it over to Australia. It was to be our gang bus, so everyone could go to our show at the same time, we could pile in anything we wanted, and we could also enter it in the show(it's a Chrysler show) as we've never seen a Dodge Maxivan there. Long story short the van still resides with me. I never did anything with it, and now I need it to be registered. Imagine my surprise when I got to the DMV and realized the church people never signed the back of the title! DMV person gives me a long list of hoops to jump through to get a bonded title. I don't see myself doing all that. I think I will look them up and call and see if I can mail them the title back and let them make it right. I'm sure a donation would help things along. I'd rather give them a few bucks than some insurance company.

Chris if you wanted to be really correct just list it as a Cutlass Supreme. I'd say the 442 option package would be the same as saying, oh, power windows. But of course the uninformed will ask what those orange numbers mean on the side of the car.

Norm that's funny. "What do you mean I'm not driving a trailer? Can't you see the horses in the back seat?"

Question for any entomologist out there. My legs are all bit up from walking through the underbrush and leaves and whatnot over at the shop. Painful, irritating, don't want it to happen again. If I work out in the rain tomorrow will the ants and chiggers and ticks not bite me? I hate being out in the rain but if that's what it takes to not get hundreds of little bites on my legs, it might be an option.

Okay time to finish laundry.

Old April 23rd, 2021, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The rain does not bother chiggers & ticks. They’ll be out plenty. Powdered sulfur works good.

EDIT: Also, wrap rubber bands, tie the bottoms of your pants tight with string, rope or a Velcro tie wrap.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 23rd, 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2021, 06:05 PM

Question for any entomologist out there. My legs are all bit up from walking through the underbrush and leaves and whatnot over at the shop. Painful, irritating, don't want it to happen again. If I work out in the rain tomorrow will the ants and chiggers and ticks not bite me? I hate being out in the rain but if that's what it takes to not get hundreds of little bites on my legs, it might be an option.
Mike - Good luck with your title fiasco! As for the bug bites, wouldn't the simple answer be to spray your boots and pant legs down good with Cutters or Deep Woods Off bug repellant?
Old April 24th, 2021, 01:54 AM

Mike, The higher the DEET. content the better the bug spray
Back when the ark was drying out and I was a camper, After spending all day in the woods, We'd bathe in the lake with Octagon soap. Worked like a charm