The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2024, 02:54 PM

Summer is upon us. Time to hibernate indoors for the next 4-5 months.

Old June 5th, 2024, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

That's just insane
Old June 5th, 2024, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
That's just insane
Happens every year for a 4-5 month stretch. Dunno if I can take this when I get old.
Old June 5th, 2024, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

I can't imagine how you'd take it when you get old living in a high humidity area. I would think the dry air heat would be far more tolerable than the stifling humid air heat. Ensure you pad your savings account well in either case.
Old June 5th, 2024, 04:23 PM

How many heat related fatalities occur in high humidity areas? We had 650 last year in my county alone.
Old June 5th, 2024, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

How many heat related fatalities occur in high humidity areas? We had 650 last year in my county alone.
No idea. You'd certainly have to view the data from a per capita age related perspective. I think there's a fair number of geezers in your county?
Old June 5th, 2024, 05:10 PM

That's a good point. This is where the Midwest comes retire - literally.
Got me to wondering about the numbers as well. Growing up I never heard that anyone died due to summer temps and high humidity - it was miserable, yeah, but not deadly.
Did a search of the local news stations and I found this. 875 total in Arizona. Wow!

Old June 5th, 2024, 05:25 PM

I was thinking that Arizona probably has a comparable number of geezers as Florida.
Florida is fairly hot and humid, and most of their geezers are from the Northeast and aren't really accustomed to heat and humidity.

Arizona population = 7.4 million with 1.3 million over 65.
Florida population = 22.6 million, with 4.6 million over 65.

So Florida has over 3x the amount of geezers than Arizona.

Arizona had 10x more heat related deaths than Florida.

So it ain't completely age related.
Old June 5th, 2024, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Wow is right - that's substantial.

Percentage Distribution of Heat-Related Deaths,* by Age Group — National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2018–2020 from CDC.

Old June 5th, 2024, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

Florida geezers comprise 20% of the Florida population
Arizona geezers comprise 18% of the Arizona population
Old June 5th, 2024, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

What a great report. Greatest majority of all heat related deaths? Drug-caused substance abuse - specifically Methamphetamine. More specifically Methamphetamine use among homeless.

2022 Heat Deaths Report
Maricopa County, Department of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology and Informatics
Old June 5th, 2024, 07:00 PM

On the news just now they reported that 45% of 2023 heat related deaths were homeless people. No info on ages.

I should say we have reports of healthy young people who die of heat issues - mountain bikers, hikers, high school athletes at practice - so it’s not just an age related thing.
Old June 6th, 2024, 04:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a wall guy starting about 430 and I signed 10 wheels on OT. That ain't bad. Now on regular time I've signed 7 since 6. That ain't great. Eh who cares. Since this continues to be the norm, apparently no one else cares, either.

Had some rain overnight but it's nice out now. Took Mom to the doctor yesterday and we have to go again today. And we have to go again on Monday. That seriously cuts in to my small amount of time after work.

Kenneth. Oh Kenneth.

John do you think the company wants you to go, but doesn't want the hassle of firing you, so they are trying to **** you off so you'll leave? If you left Big T would you work for another automaker? Would you stay in Indiana? Would you sell your pickup?

Okay time to walk down to the roll up door. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old June 6th, 2024, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I can't imagine how you'd take it when you get old living in a high humidity area. I would think the dry air heat would be far more tolerable than the stifling humid air heat. Ensure you pad your savings account well in either case.
Im stuck in the south with the golden handcuffs. I have about 13 years to go to get my pension. Our plan, if possible is to have a uhaul packed on my last day of work.
Each year i seem to loose more and more of my abilty to handle the heat. Every time we travel we have a secondary agenda of checking out every town we go to. Still undecided.
Old June 6th, 2024, 07:40 AM

What a great report. Greatest majority of all heat related deaths? Drug-caused substance abuse - specifically Methamphetamine. More specifically Methamphetamine use among homeless.

2022 Heat Deaths Report
Maricopa County, Department of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology and Informatics
You're right Norm, great report. I think this sentence jumped out at me the most, "Drug use was a primary cause of death in more than 80% of heat associated deaths involving drug use."
Old June 6th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

John do you think the company wants you to go, but doesn't want the hassle of firing you, so they are trying to **** you off so you'll leave? If you left Big T would you work for another automaker? Would you stay in Indiana? Would you sell your pickup?

Mike, Toyota is conflict averse, so they will never fire anyone "salaried" unless it is criminal or immoral. Line guys can get fired for clearly breaking rules. I don't think they are trying to get rid of me, but I do think they will treat me poorly and not care. Imagine a used push mower that you leave outside, feed bad gas, and never add/change oil. It dies when it dies. That's me.

I don't want to do production engineering any more. Too many unethical managers and demanding production members. The job is not hard even though I was moved; it's just the people that suck. So, I would not work for another car company, or even do engineering any more. I think I will stay in Indiana. I will keep the truck but might not buy another Toyota preferentially over other brands; they'd be considered equally.
Old June 6th, 2024, 12:51 PM

Went in and got the implant this a.m. Went pretty quick. As my dental doesn't cover orthodontal, I assumed that I would pay 100%, but fortunately I was wrong. Insurance paid $1597.00 out of a $2200.00 bill. Quite pleased, though I am now out of coverage for the year.
Old June 7th, 2024, 03:12 AM

Dan, I just had a new crown at my cost of $965.00. Couple days after it was done I felt roughness on my tounge. I wondered what is wrong with new crown? Little later eating some Fritos and a piece broke off- off the old crown next to the new one!! So now in for another crown!! I have no dental insurance as it is optional and it seemed a losing deal, when going in for only preventative stuff. Wish I'd had it this year!
Weather's been pretty good here, I've been painting inside of the old travel trailer. Olds still hasn't been taken for a ride- maybe today. Old truck has been out.
Old June 7th, 2024, 04:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I was thisclose to not coming in early. Actually woke up a few minutes before the alarm, and thought, geez I'm just not feeling it. I continued on. And of course now I'm sitting at my desk and can't keep my eyes open.

I probably need a crown, but I'm not going in. The broken tooth doesn't cut my tongue -that- bad. Every time I say, heck I'm an adult, I can do the dentist now, I think nah I'm still traumatized.

Matt what does that mean, golden handcuffs. I wouldn't mind living in Tennessee. Though it would be a long commute. Honestly I don't know where I'll end up. My sister will always be in Florida I think, my brother will be in St. Louis area, I can see me doing a full circle and going back to where I'm from originally, Moline IL. but there's that nasty component called bitter cold winter. They don't get the snow we got in Chicago but the Mississippi River likes to flood quite a bit in the spring and that screws up everything.

Supposed to be nice this weekend. I'm gonna try to move the convertible. The back wheels are locked up, probably from me parking it a long time ago with the parking brake on. I'm gonna lift it up and see if backing off the star wheel will do anything. If not I'll get those car dollies and put on the back wheels and use a come along to get it up on my trailer. If that doesn't work I'll call a wrecker. Hm maybe I'll call a wrecker first.

Eight wheels on overtime. Slow start to regular time. Eh, I just want to take a nap. Maybe I'll walk down to the roll up door then stop for some pop on the way back. I hate being this tired.

Okay have a good Friday everyone.

Old June 7th, 2024, 04:53 AM

Golden handcuffs:. Trapped by job that pays too well..

In my case I work in a pretty niche industry doing a pretty cool and easy and enjoyable job. it's super stable and pays well and I get a pension. I get it, I am super lucky to have this position. My wife and I would like to move somewhere cooler, but really cannot justify giving up what I've got. I'll have my 30 years done when I am 59.

Its fine though, we are preparing and we'll be ready to move as soon as I can retire.
Old June 7th, 2024, 07:11 AM

My issue, and some would say it is a nice issue to have, is I really don't have to work any more to support myself. I play the market pretty well.

While I do have some local friends, I am pretty much in that town because of the job. I'd like to try to write fiction, but that can be done anywhere. The issue is that work is most of my interaction with people. I read reddit some, and one of the big things that some of them do (and it seems that reddit is usually fully of angry people) is that they go zero contact and cut toxic people out of their lives. That is a very popular thing to do; never to work with folks, or accept some of the blame, but to just cut them out.

The sad thing is that some people will do this, and then report back "hey, I cut all the toxic people out of my life and now I am alone." and it still sucks for them. I will lose a lot of activity and contact with people without that job, and it will be up to me to stay active socially, regulated schedule, and talk to people. It's a little worrisome.
Old June 7th, 2024, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Weather's been pretty good here, I've been painting inside of the old travel trailer. Olds still hasn't been taken for a ride- maybe today. Old truck has been out.
Greg - Great to hear from ya, but sorry about the crowns, that's a bummer. I bet you get alot of looks and thumbs-up when you're out in the old truck, love it! Now, get that Olds out and show it off, its a beauty too. Hope you and the rest of the family are enjoying the summer.
Old June 7th, 2024, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
My wife and I would like to move somewhere cooler, but really cannot justify giving up what I've got.
Matt - That's a huge question to think about isn't it? I used to think I would like to get away from the mid-Summer heat and humidity here in St. Louis when I retired. I got to travel alot for work, and see alot of places. My conclusion was, if the weather and/or scenery was significantly better than the St. Louis area, the cost of living is going to be crazy high. I've acclimated some to the heat of the St. Louis summers now, and my personal thought is the months of May, June, September, October, and November are pretty damn nice. Since the kids and grandkids are established here now, I can't see us going anywhere, and I'm good with that now. I certainly will never miss the climate of Michigan where I grew up, just too damn cold, for too damn long. Good luck with your planning and decisions!
Old June 7th, 2024, 10:19 AM
Running On Empty

The week (June 7-16) of mayhem has begun. The 66th annual Big Rock Tournament begins in ~8 hours. With a paltry total purse of ~$6,000,000 & a top prize of ~$3,000,000 it draws a crowd of people and boats. Entry fee(s) run ~$2,500 to ~$40,000 depending on which & number of categories an entrant has registered. The usual deep pocket suspects have registered (e.g. Michael Jordan [[url=https://www.superyachtfan.com/yacht/catch-23/]Catch 23] & many of the NASCAR boys from the Mooresville, NC area). These aren't your average/typical holiday weekend cruisers. Many of the boats are ~70' - 90' in length.

Let the games begin.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 7th, 2024 at 10:46 AM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

Three to four days ago I replaced all the cleats (16, 8/shoe) on my Skechers golf shoes from the bag of cleats I had on-hand. Yesterday (1st time I wore the Skechers) & was happy w/ the new cleats & I was striking the ball quite well. Half-way through my round I'm in the golf cart & think the ***** of my feet seem like they're slipping. I look down to discover I'm missing ~12 cleats - all had broken off. Evidently, that rubber they make the cleats with (for this brand "Champion", at least) hasn't much longevity. I generally replace cleats 3-4 times/golf season.

I have several golf shoes - some use one style cleat others a different style cleat. I have only several of the evidently bad golf cleats remaining.

Today wasn't the greatest day to head to Dick's Sporting Goods (see above Post #54544), but I managed the traffic. Traffic was I'd say about an easy 20 - 30 times more dense than normal (see above Post #54544). Add to it the weather is gorgeous, it's a Friday, tourists abound. I settled in quickly for what I knew was going to be far, far longer than normal drive to Dick's Sporting Goods. It was entertaining to watch those impatient drivers bobbing, weaving & racing to get 10' ahead of the car in front of them. So, there was the added benefit of being entertained by imbecile drivers. A normal 1/2 hr. trip turned into a 2 hr. trip (I had to get coffee at the grocery store). Doubtful I'll do anything outdoors today & exceedingly doubtful I'll go anywhere unless required. I am playing 18 tomorrow, Saturday & Sunday, but the course is ~7 miles from my front doorstep in the completely opposite/opposing direction w/ no traffic.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 7th, 2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 12:38 PM

My wife and I would like to move somewhere cooler
By "cooler" do you mean "more hip" or a lower reading on the thermometer?

I noted it was 95º on my drive in to work at 8 am this morning, and summer hasn't really started yet. I've been having some AC issues with the DD vehicle, and this morning I noticed it works well when it's "only" 95 degrees. It's when the temp is 110-ish that the AC doesn't work so well.

Last edited by Fun71; June 7th, 2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 12:43 PM

It was entertaining to watch those impatient drivers bobbing, weaving & racing to get 10' ahead of the car in front of them. So, there was the added benefit of being entertained by imbecile drivers.
Norm, that's every day going to and from work for me. Much worse in the winter when schools (ASU and others) are in session and all the snow birds are here.
Or when there's spring training games.
Or bowl games.

Last edited by Fun71; June 7th, 2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 01:20 PM

Greg, the crown comes next, probably later this year, or early 2025. I go back for a progress report in Sept. so, we'll see. I figure if they let me, that I'll wait until January when my benefits renew. My last crown was just over $1100.00, but insurance covered half.
Old June 7th, 2024, 01:29 PM

Definately temperature wise.

The places we have been which we like the most are the Pacific Northwest, east tn and North Carolina. Everywhere has faults and compromises

We are still keeping an open mind New trips coming soon are Roanoke Virginia and then Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota

looking and exploring is part of the fun. As of right now in Memphis it is too hot for me. I will basically find stuff to do inside until September

I have a big shop but can’t keep it cool with 2 1 ton window units

By "cooler" do you mean "more hip" or a lower reading on the thermometer?

I noted it was 95º on my drive in to work at 8 am this morning, and summer hasn't really started yet. I've been having some AC issues with the DD vehicle, and this morning I noticed it works well when it's "only" 95 degrees. It's when the temp is 110-ish that the AC doesn't work so well.
Old June 7th, 2024, 01:38 PM

I will basically find stuff to do inside until September
Similar here, but it's not until late October when the temperature finally drops below 100. Halloween is always uncertain if you'll be sweating or not.
Old June 7th, 2024, 02:41 PM

The week (June 7-16) of mayhem has begun. The 66th annual Big Rock Tournament begins in ~8 hours.
Norm - Initially I thought you were announcing a local golf tournament, but now I'm guessing it's a fishing tournament from what I saw on the links provided. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of info at those links in regard to how the tournament is actually structured Did? Did you ever participate when you still had your boat? Would have loved to go offshore fishing with you when you had your boat.
Old June 7th, 2024, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Every weather station/news outlet is reporting the massive heat bubble over the SW U.S.A. I don't envy either your heat or your traffic.

Dan - They should have put a temporary on the implant post which should hold you off for the crown until January. I'd wait. My implants were same regarding insurance. Major work my insurance pays 50% including crowns.

Greg - Thought you (and the folks from the Great White North) might find this noteworthy: Polaris Celebrates the Launch of a First-of-its-Kind Off-Road Electric Charging Network for Outdoor Enthusiasts in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Matt - If I had to do it all over again, I would have moved into the Smoky Mountains. Less oppressive humidity than down here in the Piedmont, and certainly less than the NC coast. Weather in the Smoky Mtns. is awesome.

Chris - The largest boat I've owned equipped well enough to handle offshore fishing was a 26' open-cockpit C-Dory. While it's capable of handling moderate seas 40 miles offshore, it isn't really a safe vessel - one I would consider sea-worthy if seas become rough w/ 9' waves. That's risking too much. Stupid people die in those circumstances. I routinely would go 25 miles offshore in the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico is very tolerable out 40 miles from shore - Atlantic Ocean offshore from Cape Hatteras - no. I've fished in a fair number of various tournaments but absolutely nothing compared to Big Rock Tournament.
Old June 7th, 2024, 04:35 PM

Chris - The largest boat I've owned equipped well enough to handle offshore fishing was a 26' open-cockpit C-Dory. While it's capable of handling moderate seas 40 miles offshore, it isn't really a safe vessel - one I would consider sea-worthy if seas become rough w/ 9' waves. That's risking too much. Stupid people die in those circumstances. I routinely would go 25 miles offshore in the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico is very tolerable out 40 miles from shore - Atlantic Ocean offshore from Cape Hatteras - no. I've fished in a fair number of various tournaments but absolutely nothing compared to Big Rock Tournament.
Norm - I belive I saw at least one pic of the C-Dory you had. That was a beautiful boat. When my brother was the Commander of the entire southern half of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan's DNR, one of his patrol Officers had a 26' personal boat that he kept at the Marina in South Haven. My Dad and Brother would regularly go over and fish with him. They would primarily go out fishing for Skarmania (pics), a strain of Steelhead said to be the hardest fighting fish pound for pound in Lake Michigan. One of the times when I was up there, I went over there with them. It was extremely windy that morning and 7' waves, but we went out anyway, much to my chagrin. I was amazed we even got over the breakwater in the harbor, it looked like a frickin tidal wave coming over it. Then when you were out on the open water, when you went to the bottom of a swell, you couldn't even see the shore anymore. I did not like that. The nail in the coffin was when a large wave broke over the rear transom and drowned out one of the dual Honda 175hp motors. The owner was able to get it started again and decided we'd better get to shore. We didn't get even one fish on. The most miserable fishing trip I've ever been on. I like to think I'm hard to scare, but I was scared that day, and not ashamed to say so, I didn't like it one bit! I will say this about my Dad, on any given day, if anyone was going to catch a large fish, or alot of fish, it was going to be him. He was a natural outdoorsman, hunting or fishing, he just made it look easy! Sorry for the pic quality, they're pics of old hardcopies.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 7th, 2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I used to somewhat routinely go out in the Gulf of Mexico w/ waves approaching 9' - not often, but w/ some frequency. The hallmark of a good boatsman/captain is identifying (1) wave period & (2) wave frequency. I'd say most of your typical weekend warriors owning a boat don't pay attention to either. I've measured some wave periods in the Gulf of Mexico of nine to ten seconds. That's a lifetime as a mariner. I'd gladly approach 9' waves w/ a 10 second period. You will seldom find any wave period >two to three seconds anywhere in the Atlantic around here. My Dad's ship took on a 100' tidal wave in WWII traversing the Pacific Ocean on the way to Philippines. IIRC, the boat pitch that day was ~65' just prior to ~30' - 35' water awash deck.
Old June 7th, 2024, 05:35 PM

Chris - I used to somewhat routinely go out in the Gulf of Mexico w/ waves approaching 9' - not often, but w/ some frequency.
Norm - That's wild your Dad's ship took on a 100' tidal wave! I'm sure experience and knowledge are critical factors in navigating various conditions in different sized vessels on big water. The guy captaining our boat was an experienced DNR Officer who worked on Lake Michigan almost every day, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing, at least until the one large wave drowned out one of the motors. "Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Old June 7th, 2024, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - A 100' wave is not uncommon in the open waters of the oceans. They're not rare, they're not common but they happen with some frequency. Aside from those caused by obvious volcanic activity when a mountainside falls into the ocean, most are caused by underwater landslides resulting from an earthquake at sea (which is a very common occurrence).
Old June 7th, 2024, 06:29 PM

I have to admit, I did not know 100' waves are not uncommon. However, I am a Geologist, by education at least, did you really think I wouldn't know the part below???

Aside from those caused by obvious volcanic activity when a mountainside falls into the ocean, most are caused by underwater landslides resulting from an earthquake at sea (which is a very common occurrence).

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 8th, 2024 at 06:06 AM.
Old June 8th, 2024, 03:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here we are at Big D for overtime. Had a pretty good start, lot of wheels ready to sign. The operating system is acting funny this morning. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's dog slow. Two hours in and I've already got 11. That's pretty good.

Matt that pretty much sounds like me. I'd like to get out of Atlanta but I couldn't make anywhere near what I do now. At this point I'd hate to start over. I'd really like to go out west. I like the rugged, desolate look. I'd have to go hang with Kenneth for a few days in the summer before I'd do that. I say I like the hot weather, not sure I'd like incinerate. I'd really like to go to Reno.

So joy of joys I got the hood open on the blue van yesterday. I was ready with the ziz wheel, but I took the doghouse off and could reach forward with a screwdriver and trip the latch. I took several inches with the swaged end and reattached it to the latch and ran it to the side, and secured it with tape. Now I have an outside hood release. Don't think anyone will bother it. Eventually I'll get a cable assembly and put it all back proper-like.

Gonna start in on front shocks for the pickup this afternoon. The shocks, tires, alignment need to get done soon because I need to take it to Ohio next month. Gosh wouldn't it be great if I could give it a wash. I haven't washed that truck in years. It's almost fuzzy now.

Okay almost time for breakfast. The lead was around to get everyone's biscuit order, they should be here soon. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old June 8th, 2024, 04:11 AM

Norm, thanks for that link. Free to use?? Hell yeah. Who knows how this electric car-etc stuff is gonna turn out.
Old June 8th, 2024, 06:48 AM

Mike - Glad you were able to get the hood open on the van! Good luck with the shocks on your pickup.

Woke up this morning to a steady rain, and it's supposed to rain on and off all day today, tonight, and into tomorrow morning. At least there hasn't been any high wind or lightning/thunder, so Monty is doing ok. The only local car events this weekend were all scheduled for today, so that ain't happening for me this weekend.

I've been putting off doing oil changes on both the daily driver Hyundai and my truck. I really need to get to Walmart and pick-up oil and filters for both and get them done before it gets any hotter outside. Walmart is such a zoo on the weekends, maybe I'll shoot for running down there later tonight or really early tomorrow morning?

Wife is doing another one of those Mud Events tomorrow with her daughter and oldest granddaughter. This one is designed to be a fun, family oriented event and not a hard core obstacle course challenge like the others she usually does. I hope they have fun, slogging thru mud for several hours is not my idea of fun.

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!