The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Serious question

Is anyone else married to a lady that enjoys watching men beat the slop out of each other. Cinderella Man [I think] is her all time favorite movie.
James - I had to look that movie up, I can't believe I haven't seen it, sounds like one I would really like. It is definitely not the kind of movie my wife would enjoy. My wife hates to see verbal or physical altercations, regardless of the sexes involved in the altercation. She might just divorce me if I actually clocked someone. I get scolded just for getting sideways with someone, even if I'm completely justified. She just hates conflict. Guess she's the epitome of being a lover, not a fighter.
Old April 15th, 2021, 08:37 AM

Though I am not married, I dated a gal many years ago that despised boxing. I used to watch Tuesday Night Fights back in the day, and she just hated it. So, I did not push it on her, nor attempt to watch when we were together.
Old April 15th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Jeff

I think it depends on if the woman is interested in sports, although my wife definitely has more of a preference towards hockey, especially when the Red Wings are good. Sadly, it's been a while. She does like a good fight, though, but typically only when it's a championship bout.
Old April 15th, 2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I think it depends on if the woman is interested in sports, although my wife definitely has more of a preference towards hockey, especially when the Red Wings are good. Sadly, it's been a while. She does like a good fight, though, but typically only when it's a championship bout.
Jeff - If that's true, my wife is definitely an anomaly. She loves football, hockey, baseball, and basketball, but could care less about boxing.
Old April 15th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well surprise surprise. Got out of work by 130 today. Start time this morning was 5am for those interested in an hour of overtime. I wasn't. The washer was cranked up to warp speed and we zipped off half the wheels of the day before first break. Then it went back to a snail's pace. My workwith said he thinks the lead hasn't figured out how to pace the washer to the amount of time the eddy current machines take. I said that's absurd. The shop has had that same machine for 30 years, someone would have figured it out by now.

The house is as ready as it's going to be, for my friend tomorrow. His plane gets in at 230, so I'll come home and take care of Tiger then head back up to get him. Now I'm hearing rain for the weekend, I sure hope they're wrong. If so I'll get out my slicker and rubbers.

Jamesbo I think I saw that movie on the airplane back when. I didn't remember it until I looked it up, and remembered Russell Crowe as the lead character. Not a fan of boxing, or Crowe, so I wonder why I watched it. Probably a long flight.

Ran and got a few things we'll need for the weekend, then mowed part of the yard. It's beautiful out. Hope work tomorrow is agreeable to us leaving early. No mention of starting early tomorrow.

Okay everyone have a good evening.

Old April 15th, 2021, 04:54 PM

Good evening guys,
Was sunny and cool today with a high of 60. More of the same tomorrow and then rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Didn't really do squat today other than my normal workout and a few odd chores.

My wife sold another table and chairs set today. This one for $550, she had $150 in it plus her time. The buyer is supposed to come get it tonight.

Kinda bummed about the weather forecast this weekend because there was a huge car cruise planned for Saturday only 15-miles north of me on South Lindbergh, which is a local street name for part of old Rt. 66. This particular area has been a prime cruising spot since the 50's, with several historic sites. Monday is looking like our nicest day all next week with a high around 68 and almost no chance of rain so I'm planning a ride with one of my regular riding buddies, not sure where we'll end up going yet.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening.

Old April 16th, 2021, 02:10 AM

Chris, Ax your bride if I can borrow sum money. Her talent is making a good living. Congratulations

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:00 AM
Running On Empty

James - Does the 442 stay at the lake or in ATL?
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:29 AM

Norm, It used to move back and forth. Lately, The Vista Cruiser is at the lake and the drop top 442 is down here

Has Sergio had to climb any live oaks?
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:31 AM
Running On Empty

James - Gotcha. I didn’t know you had a VC, as well. Nice. What year is the VC?
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:34 AM

69 See above [or below] the pic of the H/O

The Super model loves 69

It's pretty different 15" SS II ,455, buckets, center console tilt wheel, trailer hitch , air shocks and the PO put an enormous Woofer in the well below the 3rd seat. Only problem is ya need to carry 2 10 gallon gas cans to get anywhere
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:42 AM
Running On Empty

Great VC - I love them. “TwoCanChew”
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:53 AM

I drove it up the mountain not too long ago to Play Water Fall. Didn't car much for the course, pretty views but it soooooooooo wet you ball plugs in the fairway and ya need a Labrador retriever to find the sucker

167 yard par 3 with a 210 foot drop. The 'signature waterfall is right below the tee box
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Running On Empty

Agree. Scenic view - not really a testament to the game of golf.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:26 AM

Love the Vista, James. But no gas tank in it? Or ya jus talkin about **** porr mileage? Yesterday I went over and painted boards for bed floor with bed liner. That is some nasty stuff and seems to fly off in big globs and stick to me! Then has to wear off in about 2weeks.
I broke a Craftsman socket and ratchet the other day, was wondering if someone would warrantee them. Went into a Ace Hardware and saw they sold Craftsman and said they would exchange them, so good deal. Wow that brought back a bunch of memories! I had just started as a mechanic at Montgomery Wards in about 1981. I needed a fairly comprehensive set of tools and had no money. I went to Sears and applied for a Sears charge card, I really had no credit history, but I was approved and bought a $500.00 set of tools in 2 upright tool boxes! That was really the start of my credit! Both of those tools that finally broke were part of that set, I used to engrave all my tools with my name when I worked as a mechanic, and those were engraved. I guess it was a good investment, lasted 40 years and replaced for free. I see the ratchet is a different style but better than nothin... We'll see. Take care guys.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:32 AM

Chris, Ax your bride if I can borrow sum money. Her talent is making a good living. Congratulations

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
James - Thanks for the compliment on my wife's skills, I'll pass it on. I didn't even post any pictures of that set, I kinda figured you guys might be getting a little tired and bored with me bragging on her. Only a 13-day turn around on that set from the day we got it until it sold.. Safe travels north!
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Indeed, I wore out a Craftsman box-end wrench, took it to my local Ace last year & they exchanged it for a spiffy new one - no questions asked.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:42 AM
Jeff

That's great to know that I can pop down to my local Ace Hardware for Craftsman stuff.

Sears charge card: introduction to building credit for many a person back in the day. I almost said, "I never had one, though," but the truth is I did! By the time I was ready for my first credit card, Sears had created the Discover Card.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:47 AM

I drove it up the mountain not too long ago to Play Water Fall. Didn't car much for the course, pretty views but it soooooooooo wet you ball plugs in the fairway and ya need a Labrador retriever to find the sucker

167 yard par 3 with a 210 foot drop. The 'signature waterfall is right below the tee box
James - Love the VC! As for the golf hole, beautiful view, crazy hole. We have a course about an hour south of me with alot of terrain with multiple of what I'd call "gimmicky holes" like that. Almost impossible to play a course like that the 1st time trying to make club selections on holes like that!
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:54 AM
Running On Empty

My first credit card was a Master Charge CC ~1972 or 1973. I owned a 1968 VW Super Beetle rolled it twice over on its side and once end-over-end down a farmer’s hay field with my GF in it. We were in a community college treasure hunt race. Anyways, I needed a car went to bank they gave me $500 credit. I bought a red 1965 Dodge Dart with a 1/4 black vinyl top. Next CC was a Sears Roebuck & Co. CC.
Old April 16th, 2021, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I broke a Craftsman socket and ratchet the other day, was wondering if someone would warrantee them.
Take care guys.
Greg - Great story about the Craftsman tools. I got a Craftsman 100-piece combo set in a single large metal toolbox as a highschool graduation present from my Dad in 1977. I still have the toolbox and most of the tools. It has 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 drive ratchets, but the 3/8 broke a long time ago, I need to see if I can find someplace like you did that will swap it out. Also have a larger size Craftsman hunter's folding knife that I broke the tip off of cleaning an elk in CO. Would like to see if they'll replace that too if they even make any like it anymore.
Old April 16th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Jeff

I have come across a couple of small stand-alone Sears stores still open "out in the wild." Greg may have seen the one in West Branch, MI, being not so far away in Harrison. I am trying to think of where I saw the other one, I swear that was up north last summer, too.
Old April 16th, 2021, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I have come across a couple of small stand-alone Sears stores still open "out in the wild." Greg may have seen the one in West Branch, MI, being not so far away in Harrison. I am trying to think of where I saw the other one, I swear that was up north last summer, too.
Hey Jeff - I did a search for Sears stores in the StL area after my post this morning and apparently there is a Sears outlet about a 1/2-hour from me that carries primarily appliances and tools. It was hard to tell how many tools they actually had in stock in the store because the store website search engine sucked. Worst case scenario, if I went there they should be able to order the replacement tools I need??? I also know the Lowes near me carry a large selection of Craftsman tools, but I'd bet I'd have a tougher time getting them to honor the Craftsman lifetime warranty.
Old April 16th, 2021, 09:46 AM

Greg, it has an 18 gallon tank but with the 455. It doesn't get you very far.

Interesting question. Does Lowes replace broken craftsman tool. Last time I just took them to Sears and no questions ask. Gave me a reconditioned one not brand new
Old April 16th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think all bets are off in regards to Craftsman tools these days. It might be whatever the particular place you're standing in feels like that day. I don't believe Sears owns the Craftsman brand anymore. Used to be Kobalt tools at Lowes were made by the same people and had the same warranty. I also got a Craftsman tool set for high school graduation. To date that is the best present I have ever gotten. Over the years that set has gotten mixed in with other tools but once in a while I see a piece and recognize that it was in that set originally. Makes me smile.

We were busy at work all morning. The guys in back ran the washer like there was no tomorrow. We were on track to spin 132 wheels, but ended at 110, for whatever reason the leads reduced the number. I didn't mind, I was out of there by 11. Ah, so it can be done.

I have had the pleasure of seeing the Vista Cruiser up close and personal. But I've never seen the convertible. I wanted to pay homage to the back seat. Jamesbo didn't you get the VC in California? Did you drive it back or have it shipped? Some simple math says if you drove you would have used 139 gallons of gas.

Well my friend gets on the plane in Mississippi in about a half hour. I think I'll leave for the airport when the plane is supposed to touch down. It will take him at least a half hour to get out front, no need for me to be there early and just circle the airport multiple times.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. I have a few more things to do to get ready for company.

Old April 16th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Greg, it has an 18 gallon tank but with the 455. It doesn't get you very far.

Interesting question. Does Lowes replace broken craftsman tool. Last time I just took them to Sears and no questions ask. Gave me a reconditioned one not brand new
James - I'm really surprised the VC only has an 18 gallon tank. With many families using them for vacation vehicles I would have thought they would have put at least a 20 or even a 25 gallon tank on them. Heck, my 4-4-2 even has a 20 gallon on it, and I need every gallon.
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I think the capacity had something to do with where the tank is located. It isn't under the back of the car like a regular car, it's tucked inside one of the back quarters. Although I think the footwell/ trunk floor just forward of the back bumper would be an excellent place for an auxiliary tank, sort of a Vista Cruiser ER if you would. Extended Range.

My friend didn't make his flight. Being on a buddy pass means you are lower than a snail's tail on the pecking order. Next flight out, which is it for the day, is at 430. He -should- make that one.

It's absolutely beautiful out. A little cooler than days past but I'm certainly not complaining. Hm. Tiger is telling me that it's break time.

Old April 16th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I think the capacity had something to do with where the tank is located. It isn't under the back of the car like a regular car, it's tucked inside one of the back quarters. Although I think the footwell/ trunk floor just forward of the back bumper would be an excellent place for an auxiliary tank, sort of a Vista Cruiser ER if you would. Extended Range.

My friend didn't make his flight. Being on a buddy pass means you are lower than a snail's tail on the pecking order. Next flight out, which is it for the day, is at 430. He -should- make that one.
Mike - Thanks for explaining about the tank on VC's, I didn't know that, learned something new! I sure hope your buddy makes the next flight!
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Running On Empty

FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:

We will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we’ll replace it if we have the product. If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569)."

Maureen Wallace, Lowe's
Old April 16th, 2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
FULL STATEMENT FROM LOWE'S CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS:

We will honor all lifetime warranties no matter where the CRAFTSMAN hand tool was purchased. We ask that customers bring in the item, and we’ll replace it if we have the product. If we do not have the product, customers can call the Customer Care Hotline (883-331-4569)."

Maureen Wallace, Lowe's
Norm - Thanks for researching that, very nice of you. Thank you very much!
Old April 16th, 2021, 02:18 PM

I have a mix of Craftsman & S-K tools. I bought my first socket set (S-K), when I was 18, in order to work on my '68 Delta Custom. Bought them at Meijer's. Greg, remember when they sold tools and car parts? Frequently bought Craftsman over the years as needed, but slacked off a bit when they moved the Sears store further away. I bought my S-K's for the most part from a local tool and equipment supply store which has been around for decades. The last tool of note that I bought was a S-K torque wrench from said shop. Not sure what to buy now a days as S-K went through an ownership change with some turmoil and a move. According to the old timer at the tool supply store, the quality went downhill. Craftsman are now Chinese made. They are of thicker stock, but that is because they use a cheaper alloy. I have a Snap On ratchet, but that **** ain't cheap. I bought a Craftsman tool chest about 35 years ago, which I gave to my brother when I moved in 2016 (lack of space in the new garage), but kept my Kennedy, which I bought around twenty years ago. Got my second Moderna shot today, so far, just a sore arm. Oil change on the Hyundai, and a quote for the brakes. These have about 50,000 miles on them, and only need pads and the rotors turned, unlike my previous GM vehicles where I had to replace the pads and rotors every 36,000 miles. Flowers and a card for my niece. her husband is now at Mercy hospital here in town, in the room next door. 6-8 weeks of therapy before they go home, then more once they are released. Chris, I have no problem with pics of your wife's projects. She does good work, and the pieces always look impressive when done.
Old April 16th, 2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Flowers and a card for my niece. her husband is now at Mercy hospital here in town, in the room next door. 6-8 weeks of therapy before they go home, then more once they are released. Chris, I have no problem with pics of your wife's projects. She does good work, and the pieces always look impressive when done.
Dan - Thanks for the update on your neice and her husband. Glad to hear they are doing ok and were able to move him to the same hospital as her. I will be saying a few prayers towards their continued recovery.

Thanks for the kind words about my wife's work! Well, you said you didn't mind,, so here's a few pics of the set she sold yesterday. I'm pretty proud of her!!

Old April 16th, 2021, 03:32 PM

Chris, very nice. help the color blind guy out. What color is the checker board covering on the chairs?
Old April 16th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - She did a nice job on refinishing that (what I would call a) kitchenette set. It reminds me of the same type kitchenettes on nearly all my aunt & uncle farms - of course theirs would be worn from daily use.

Dan - Thanks for the update I wish them well.

For some reason they made me the hole captain for the Shotlink operators on Hole #5 (Par 5). Which is essentially just managing six operators - no biggie. I have two very nice young men (cousins ~20 y.o & 23 y.o) attending Clemson working together at the Fairway Long position - they've never worked (Volunteered) for a PGA Tour event before. Their grandparents have a home here on HHI. They're quite excited about being inside the ropes & so up close w/ the players. Today one remarked to me "Norm, look how many people are following this group". I think it was Sergio's group. They work w/ me again for the final day Sunday - they'll really enjoy the galleries Sunday. Nice to see very nice young folks enjoying themselves.
Old April 16th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Chris is probably eating dinner. Addressing your question - the checkers are light brown & white.
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Dan - Chris is probably eating dinner. Addressing your question - the checkers are light brown & white.
Yep, Norm's correct on the colors of light brown and white checkered. We were actually out at Dollar General Store picking up a few items. Thanks for the compliment on my wife's work, I will pass it on. Your description of it looking just like the sets in your relatives farmhouses is exactly like I described it to my wife, I called it "farmhouse style". Nice that you're working with some good guys. Doesn't surprise me they put you in charge though!
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Dan - I will add further the table top is multi-colored being a mixture of light gray, light brown, and tan, created by randomly layering the different colored paints, and then protecting the surface with satin polycryllic.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 17th, 2021 at 04:22 AM.
Old April 17th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Mike, I had the VC shipped from California . I bought it from a guy that restores Facel Vegas. Ringo Starr was the only person I've ever heard of that owned one. ( unless you have one in yourj stable)

Old April 17th, 2021, 12:38 PM

Chris, the chair covers look light gray & white to me, the table did until you provided the close up pic, which appears mostly gray, but I can detect a bit of tan in there. I have a co worker who is also color blind, and he mentioned one time when his wife asked him an opinion on fabric that she was looking at, he responded "we have been married 29 years, and I'm still color blind". I got a laugh out of that. My poor mom, the only one besides my sister who wasn't color blind, had myself, my brother and my dad, all at different times, adjusting the color on the ol' Zenith. He, he.
Old April 17th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My poor mom, the only one besides my sister who wasn't color blind, had myself, my brother and my dad, all at different times, adjusting the color on the ol' Zenith. He, he.
Dan - Not funny that all you guys were color blind, but funny the way you put it about your mom coming into a room and seeing the color on the TV all jacked up!