The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2021, 03:40 AM

Speaking of deserts

One of my favorites is Strawberries Romanoff

Mike, Glad you ditched the little 'r"
Old April 7th, 2021, 03:53 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'm not going to say a word about your spelling - I promise.
But that dessert would taste great if I were deserted in a desert.
Old April 7th, 2021, 04:01 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time @ 8:30 am - I'll play in the 9-hole shootout @ 5:00 pm, as well. I need to re-glaze the old six glass pane windows in my old unattached garage over the next several weeks. I'm not going to remove them just re-glaze in-place. It's the small stuff like this which defines 'retirement'.
Old April 7th, 2021, 04:03 AM

Norm

On Monday I was 15' off the green in 2 on a par 5 and shanked it into a greenside bunker. I have more impotent things to concern my self with
Old April 7th, 2021, 04:09 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...15' off the green in 2 on a par 5 and shanked it into a greenside bunker.
Oh no. I now have a mental image to carry me through the par 5s this morning. I've done it myself as you surely must know - makes you wonder how we can love this game. I can't recall, they have a ProAm game today at the Master's?
Old April 7th, 2021, 05:38 AM

Good morning guys,
Mild here this morning at 63 degrees, with a high of 74 forecast in the early afternoon, and some severe thunderstorms in late afternoon and early evening. Tomorrow behind the front will be cooler with more steady showers.

No big plans for today. My step-daughter, her 3 and 1-year old little girls, and her latest boyfriend are coming into town from Colorado Springs on Thursday to visit, and to have a 1st birthday party for the 1-year old. They will stay with us a couple of days, and with other family members during their week here. Although it pains me to say it, I honestly am not looking forward to their visit. I feel this way because this child does not treat her mom (my wife) very well, usually only choosing to communicate and be a part of our lives when she wants or needs something. It is not a healthy relationship, but I can't say anything, because I don't want to jeopardize what little access my wife already has to the 2 granddaughters. This kid needs a swift kick in the ****, and a crash course in "adulting". Sometimes family dynamics can be such a joy!

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 7th, 2021, 05:57 AM

Chris, I didn't mention this after our Easter lunch at my daughter in laws BUT, They have one 3 year old child and enough CRAP [read toys] to fil a Toys are us 5 times. I've never seen so much plastic junk wall to wall and all over the floor in the basement play room. You can find a plce to sit or walk for all of the stuff

It really made me sick thinking about some poor kids who hardly have anything

But like the dutiful husband I am. I kept my mouth **** and jes bit my lip
Old April 7th, 2021, 06:16 AM

But like the dutiful husband I am. I kept my mouth **** and jes bit my lip
I'm right there with ya buddy! Silence is often the best option!
Old April 7th, 2021, 06:25 AM

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Wish I'd learned that one years before I actually did.
Old April 7th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
A closed mouth gathers no feet. Wish I'd learned that one years before I actually did.
Yep, me too!
Old April 7th, 2021, 06:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

What a rare treat to go to the Awful house in the middle of the week. Today I'm gonna spend most of the day at the shop. Then back to work tomorrow.

Jamesbo like I said, she doesn't deserve the big R. Like Chris' family member, she deserves a swift kick. Eh, I'm done with her.

Chris the table and chairs looks nice. All it needs is a nice glass top cut to the shape. When I was growing up we had this huge antique dining room set that we never ate at. Maybe once a year if we had company. When we did eat there we kids weren't allowed to spill anything. Imagine telling that to children under 10. Besides that my Mom had about ten layers of table cloths and the required "pretty" plastic covering. But I think out of fear we never did spill. I remember one time my Mom spilled something and we kids laughed and my Dad yelled at us for laughing. I think he just liked yelling.

What makes the strawberries "Romanoff?" Some sort of booze I'm guessing. Hey nothing wrong with that.

Well, daylight(and calendar days) are burning. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old April 7th, 2021, 07:05 AM

Mike, Ya soak the strawberries In Cointreau or Grand Mainer
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris the table and chairs looks nice. All it needs is a nice glass top cut to the shape.
Thanks Mike, I'll pass on your compliment. I agree with you on the glass tops, especially if you have young children, they're a life saver. Attached picture is an oak antique claw foot table and chairs my Mom refinished +50-years ago that I inherited. Note the glass top my Mom had made prior to us starting to use it as our everyday dining table. The table top still looks like the day she finished it, despite us kids! She was a smart woman!

Old April 7th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Speaking of deserts
Since you brought it up:

Not quite as warm as it was (high 90s) the past several days, but still warmer than it's supposed to be this time of year.

Old April 7th, 2021, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Since you brought it up:

Not quite as warm as it was (high 90s) the past several days, but still warmer than it's supposed to be this time of year.
Kenneth - That's still really warm! We had 3-days of low 80's before today which is about 15-degrees warmer than it should be in early April. It's low 70's today with a strong front approaching, and only supposed to be 60 tomorrow behind the front. This is what we have on the way this evening. Strong potential for damaging storms, our older dog will be terrified!

Old April 7th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Yikes, that looks ominous!
Must be what passed through here yesterday, we had VERY strong winds, but they died down last night. It's called an "Arizona cold front" when the temperature drops down into the 90s.

Last edited by Fun71; April 7th, 2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old April 7th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Always room for one more

So today I assembled a "portable garage" around one of the cars. It doesn't say anything about needing two people but another person would have been awesome. I have another one to do but at least now I know what to look forward to. I'm beat. Came home and took a shower and I think I'll hit the sack. I don't think two extra hours of sleep will be wasted.

So here's a question for any botanists on the forum. What is a good, hearty, won't grow above 4 feet, flowers, and loves Florida shrub to plant?

Tomorrow after work I have a few errands to run. Getting a battery for the tractor is one of them. The battery is right up front on that thing but I had to take half the tractor apart to get it out. How did they think that was a good idea? And to think John Deere and I come from the same place.

Okay that's it for me. Have a good evening everyone. Absolutely gorgeous here I should sleep outside.

Old April 7th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Any dwarf Rododendron grows well in Florida. Check out dwarf Azaleas (Rododendrons) like the George Taber' Azalea. They're perennial, easy to care for & don't mind full sunlight. At any rate, dwarf Azaleas aren't a bad selection. They can continuously be trimmed to 3'.

https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl....bs/azalea.html
Old April 7th, 2021, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
So here's a question for any botanists on the forum. What is a good, hearty, won't grow above 4 feet, flowers, and loves Florida shrub to plant?
Well, my aunt and uncle on the Texas Gulf Coast were unable to get anything to grow taller than a deer's mouth. Didn't matter what they planted.
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:05 AM

Well yesterday I worked on truck and sort of got into a big funk for no reason, really.. I know there is no hurry to get this old truck done for the year, but in my mind it's a project that needs completed. Really bums me out when I find I need to do something over that I thought was done-(body work). Anyway about 4 I closed up shop, took a shower and started drinkin'. Walked over to neighbors with a few beers. He and his wife came back over to our house and all 4 of us went up to the neighborhood bar and had a few more and some burgers. Weather was really weird, it started thundering and lightning, than heavy rain. The rain was warm like in August. Really neat, took me out of my funk. Last night it stayed warm. Today I am going to go back over and work on truck again. All my life I have been a wrench type guy, easy for me to R&R engines, brake jobs, mechanical stuff on cars, but never did body work, painting, etc. So I bought this old basket case truck and figured I would learn the body side of automotive work, then after some learnin' I would attempt a high dollar car like 57 Nomad or W30 , etc... Now I'm pretty sure I will never do another rust repair/ paint job. It's a exercise in frustration!
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Mike, X 2 on Azaleas They're real easy to root and make a pile more Pride of Mobile, George Taber,T here are a slew of different kinds

Old April 8th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
So I bought this old basket case truck and figured I would learn the body side of automotive work, then after some learnin' I would attempt a high dollar car like 57 Nomad or W30 , etc... Now I'm pretty sure I will never do another rust repair/ paint job. It's a exercise in frustration!
Greg - When I read the part of your post about the rust repair/ paint job, I automatically thought of my wife's refinishing projects. She had never done any type of furniture refinishing before she decided she would give it a try. She does try to research and read up on whatever she is trying to do, watches YouTube videos, etc., but sometimes it just doesn't turn out the way she expected it to, and she has to back track and start over. She's finding out the pro's know tricks, have special tools, and have years of experience that allow them to get it right the 1st time. The back tracking can be an expensive proposition because some paints and other necessary materials ain't cheap, and then there are the frustration and burnout factors. Sound familiar? You sound like a pretty talented guy and you'll get there with your truck. Take your time and enjoy the journey, it's a hobby right, you don't want to make it a job. You're really going to enjoy that old truck when you're done!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 8th, 2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - That 1953 five window GMC Truck I owned in the mid-1970s while in the USAF didn't need a great deal of body work but it sure seemed it was taking me forever. Mechanically, I had it running tip-top shape (brakes & engine were a breeze to work on) & I had just finished with the second wet sanding & priming when someone made me an offer to purchase - so, I took the offer. Performing body work on that truck was my first time - I can relate to your frustration & anxiety; but, hang in there man. You're doing a great job! I'm not sure I'd attempt more body work - for me it was a lot of work. Your payoff, not necessarily in monetary terms, will be exhilarating once it's finished. Make sure your refrigerator is performing optimally - ice-cold beer helps to reduce the anxiety. Hang in there.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:21 AM
Running On Empty

I sucked A$$ playing pasture pool yesterday - both in my morning round and in the 9-hole shootout. I need to relax - my down swing is far too fast. I think I shanked six or seven shots yesterday. It's like I'm possessed with demons or something. I spend time on the range working on my game and then shanks? What is wrong with me? That's not really a question I want any of you to answer, there isn't enough time in the day for me to read all of your answers!

So, today I'm opting for remaining at home and leisurely attending to re-glazing window frames & whatever else doesn't involve thinking about golf.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:26 AM

Norm, When you're at the range try Placing a ball just outside the ball you are going to hit When you swing [and don't hit the outside ] ball the "S" word will be gone

The S word is evil
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:29 AM
Running On Empty

James - That's a good suggestion. I recall seeing a video using that technique.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:29 AM

Greg, Try to look at it as if you are eating an elephant. One bite at a time
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:39 AM

For you non golfers, What Norm and I were talking about is the dreaded shanks, When you hit the ball with the hosel of the club and it shots dead right [ for right hand golfers] It is the curse of every golfer but even the pros occasionally [very occasionally ] do it

\\

even Tiger can do it

Old April 8th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Norm - I wish I could provide some good advice on your golf swing, but I'm the last person you want advice from in that department. I think you already put your finger on it though in your original post . . . RELAX . . . slow, slower, slowest . . . half as hard, twice as far. Good luck!
Old April 8th, 2021, 06:16 AM

James and Norm - James' post of the Tin Cup clip reminded me of this. I don't remember if I ever mentioned this before, senioritis and all, but one of my 1st cousins on my Mom's side is a PGA club/teaching pro, his name is Jon Jaress, and he was a stand in and hit golf shots for Costner in the movie. When the movie was being filmed, my cousin was the head pro at Tubac Golf resort about 45-miles south of Tuscon where many of the desert golf scenes were shot. My cousin told me some pretty crazy stories about after hours parties that were held while they were shooting there, including one that involved Craig Stadtler and a golf groupie getting pulled over in a golf cart on the highway by an Arizona State Trooper.
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Running On Empty

James posted a picture of a golf cart girl from his club one or two years ago. Maybe she could help me get rid of my shank (or something).
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Norm, I'm surprised you're not on the range
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Running On Empty

Old April 8th, 2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James posted a picture of a golf cart girl from his club one or two years ago. Maybe she could help me get rid of my shank (or something).
She might be able to help, but you'll have to weigh what she might get rid of, versus what you might get!
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:26 AM

I choose door #1, suggested by James, I've suddenly developed a problem with my swing!
Old April 8th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Running On Empty

I suspect ‘The Walrus’ capable of massive shenanigans.
Whatever year I marshaled the Wells Fargo Championship in Wilmington Nick Faldo came zinging by on a practice day towards the end of the day on my hole drunk as a billy goat whooping and hollering driving an electric golf cart.
Old April 8th, 2021, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Now I'm pretty sure I will never do another rust repair/ paint job. It's a exercise in frustration!
I hear ya. When doing the paint job on my car in a friend's garage, he was moving in a couple of days so we had to finish fast, and I hand sanded the entire vehicle 5 times in one night because the paint wasn't going on right. I was so glad it was a convertible and didn't have a roof to sand!
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:06 AM

I really enjoyed these

https://wallythekat.tripod.com/A_Pag...ydesdales.html
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Me too! I think most of the really good ones were made prior to Anheiser Busch being bought out by InBev. The facility I worked at was kitty-corner across the street from the SE corner of the Anheiser Busch complex which was huge. On the NW side of the complex was a stables where they kept several Clydesdales on-site for folks to visit when they took the brewey tour. If you passed by the stables on the sidewalk you could see the Clydesdales inside through open windows that had bars on them.

You can also see the Clydesdales at Grant's Farm, a National Historic Site, being the former home and property of Ulysses S. Grant when he lived in St. Louis, and now part of the Anheiser Busch estate. In addition to being the permanent home of the Clydesdales, the property is also a game preserve. The property can be toured by the general public but you have to have reservations and there is a $15 parking fee.
Old April 8th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work went along great today. Last night I did indeed get to bed early, slept well, and got up probably 20 minutes before my alarm. Not rushed at all, it was a good day all around. After work I took Tiger to have a heartworm test and to get new medicine. How long have I been going to do that? Everything was fine and I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Also went to get a battery for the tractor, but by the time I got to the place they were closed. Then an hour to get home, sheesh. There isn't anyplace that's easy to get to around here, and the ridiculous traffic doesn't help.

Found a place I want to go look at, in Roopville. It's a modular, which doesn't thrill me, but it's 10 nice, square acres that would be perfect for an enormous shop. My new agent is going to call me later to set up a time to go see it.

I toured the Anheiser Busch place when I was a kid. I didn't like it because it smelled. The horses were fun. This would have been mid 70s. Everything was made of copper. Sometime in the 70s or 80s my uncle worked for a local bottle company called Huesing, and their big thing was Bud. I figured they just spelled the name wrong on the side of the car. Anheiser, Huesing, it looked the same to me.

So I'll clean up a little in the kitchen and I think it will be another early night. Hopefully we get out of work by noon tomorrow and it doesn't rain and I can get some things done. It didn't rain here like they said it would, in fact it's beautiful out. If I would have known that I would have taken today off as well.

So one more! Have a good evening everyone.