The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Happy Birthday Chris. Hope your day is a success.

And that's all I got so far. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Mike - Thanks! Glad to hear your week ended on a high note with another early out! Hope you have a great weekend!
Old November 20th, 2020, 02:29 PM

Old November 20th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
James - Is it just me, or could he have been Jack Nicholson's great, great, grandpa???
Old November 20th, 2020, 05:00 PM

Well guys, I've had a great birthday, and all your birthday well wishes were much appreciated! We will continue the celebration tomorrow at my youngest daughter's house. My oldest daughter and her husband and little boy will be there too. I'll get to see both daughters and all three grandsons which will be great. I had thought about maybe canceling this get together because of the Covid situation, but I haven't seen them in awhile and thought it would be nice to see them now in case things continue to get worse and any Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers are just totally out of bounds. Even though they don't work directly with Covid patients, both daughters are nurses in a hospital setting every day, and one son-in-law is a paramedic/firefighter so they're definitely at higher risk than most of the general public.

On a completely different topic, I found a really beautiful 1965 Olds Dynamic 88 hardtop coupe in Laurel Mist with white interior that I just love. I shouldn't even be allowed to look at car sites because I have zero space to store any more toys, unless we moved the daily driver to the driveway, and that would end the discussion right there with my wife. This car is a true survivor, with only 19,800 actual miles. It was in climate controlled dry storage for 29-years, put there by a woman who inherited.it from her mom and couldn't bear to part with it. A collector bought it in 2019 and only replaced necessary seals that had dried out.. It is a true time capsule car. I'm wracking my brain to figure out how I might be able to finagle this situation. All I can come up with so far is to sell at least one of my bikes for more garage space, and to offset some of the price of the car. I'd have to sell my Yamaha, because there's no way I'm giving up my Indian. Gonna have to think this one out thoroughly and objectively, because emotionally I really love the car!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old November 20th, 2020, 07:18 PM
Always room for one more

Chris don't fight it. If you like the car buy it. If your wife fusses, tell her you bought it for her. As for selling a bike for the room, don't I remember you having sliding glass doors into your walkout basement? A bike would go in the family room down there very easily.

Well I wanted to stay up later than this, but then I figured that anything past 8 is late, so I'm good with that. We can sleep in tomorrow, too. Tiger will probably want to get up around 4 or 5, then we'll go back to bed for a little while.

Have a good night everyone. Beautiful out, if it were warmer I'd drag the air mattress out onto the back porch.

Old November 20th, 2020, 08:03 PM

Chris don't fight it. If you like the car buy it. If your wife fusses, tell her you bought it for her. As for selling a bike for the room, don't I remember you having sliding glass doors into your walkout basement? A bike would go in the family room down there very easily.
Mike - Appreciate the pep talk on potentially buying the car. Just for clarification, my wife would never complain about me buying another car if I really wanted it. What she would have a problem with is "her" car being relegated to the driveway, especially in the winter, and I can't say I can blame her there. As for storing a motorcycle in the basement, believe me when I say if I could, they'd both be down there right now. There is no space to maneuver an 800 lb. bike for a straight on shot at the door as small as the walkout patio is, it's absolutely impossible. I'll post a pic of the geometry ot the area tomorrow so you can better see what it's like. Nice thought though!
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:20 AM

Nice round Norm, I've forgotten [If I ever knew] What kind of sticks are in your bag?
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Mike - Appreciate the pep talk on potentially buying the car. Just for clarification, my wife would never complain about me buying another car if I really wanted it. What she would have a problem with is "her" car being relegated to the driveway, especially in the winter, and I can't say I can blame her there. As for storing a motorcycle in the basement, believe me when I say if I could, they'd both be down there right now. There is no space to maneuver an 800 lb. bike for a straight on shot at the door as small as the walkout patio is, it's absolutely impossible. I'll post a pic of the geometry ot the area tomorrow so you can better see what it's like. Nice thought though!
Mike - I think you'll be able to see from these two pics that there's no way I could get a big touring style bike up to and through the walk-out door without re-engineering the retaining wall and creating some type of ramp where you could drive straight up to the door. I've never measured the width of the front fairing on my bikes or the width across the back from outside of saddlebag to saddle bag, but they very well might be too wide for the door anyway.

Old November 21st, 2020, 04:17 AM
Running On Empty

Nice round Norm, I've forgotten [If I ever knew] What kind of sticks are in your bag?
James - A full set of Callaway X-20 (3 through PW), 56° Cleveland Wedge, Tour Edge 63° Lob/Sand Wedge, Tour Edge 52° Gap Wedge, Mizuno ST200X Driver, Mizuno ST200 3W, Odyssey Blade Putter.
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:43 AM

No 1 iron?
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:45 AM
Running On Empty

No 1 iron?
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:48 AM

Hi guys, Chris I know how it is when looking at a neat old car. They are almost magical!! But it.s funny, it seems after you own them a while they become just my old car, complete with the flaws. I'm just sayin' that after having 4 old vehicles at one time I realized that the "magic" was gone. I wanted a Hot Rod Mopar in the worst way ever since I was a 10 year old, ( my Dad sold cars back in the sixties at a Chrysler dealership). Anyway after getting a 65 Coronet and building a 496 Wedge with 3.91 gears etc I realized it was not for me at all. I sold the car and really never regretted it. Then years later I bought a rough 70 Vista cruiser on ebay. (Ebay, easy chair, and Black Velvet are a bad combination), Ended up selling that one and all the parts I had accumulated for it at a loss when we moved. Anyway my advise is don't buy another unless you are absolutely 100% sure..

Loading it after after being sold.

Really did have a lot of fun with this one. You'd be surprised how many thumbs up and honks you get when all loaded w 3 grandkids and dog in the back w granny and bebah in front!! Way more than you get in a sharp old convertible! But glad it is gone.

Used to be my tractor!!

This is one of my beautiful granddaughters (one of the ones who rode in the vista at about 8 years old) with my old truck, I really do enjoy this truck - not worried about scratches.. And of course I love my grandkids!
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:53 AM

Good morning guys,
Norm - I'm out of touch with the latest in high tech golf equipment, but know enough that Calloway is still making some of the best stuff out there. I was not familiar with Mizuno being in the high end/high tech driver game? I'm sure all your clubs are top notch, well worth the investment for how much you like to play!

Cool, dreary, and raining here, and were supposed to keep getting periods of showers throughout the day. Glad we just decided to have a pizza party this afternoon instead of planning to grill.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Norm you may be good, but you ain't God or Jack Nicklaus! LoL 😆 🤣 😂
Old November 21st, 2020, 05:22 AM

Norm [I hope ] knows I messing with him

Greg, I love my Vista Crusier but ya need to carry 2 jerry cans in the back. 455 and 18 gallon tank just isn't enough
Old November 21st, 2020, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Rogers;1295258]Hi guys, Chris I know how it is when looking at a neat old car. They are almost magical!! But it.s funny, it seems after you own them a while they become just my old car, complete with the flaws. I'm just sayin' that after having 4 old vehicles at one time I realized that the "magic" was gone. I wanted a Hot Rod Mopar in the worst way ever since I was a 10 year old, ( my Dad sold cars back in the sixties at a Chrysler dealershi Anyway after getting a 65 Coronet and building a 496 Wedge with 3.91 gears etc I realized it was not for me at all. I sold the car and really never regretted it. Then years later I bought a rough 70 Vista cruiser on ebay. (Ebay, easy chair, and Black Velvet are a bad combination), Ended up selling that one and all the parts I had accumulated for it at a loss when we moved. Anyway my advise is don't buy another unless you are absolutely 100% sure..
[QUOTE]

Greg - Thanks for the words of wisdom, speaking from your experience. I believe it's easy for most folks to impulse buy when they see something they really like. Fortunately for me in this case, there are obstacles in the way like the space issue that are forcing me to really think this one through. Last time I checked, you can only drive one to a show or a cruise-in right? I only drove my 442 about 950-miles this past summer, do I really need another car that sits 95% of the time, yet still requires maintenance, plates, insurance, and taxes (we have a personal property tax we have to pay each year on every vehicle you own here in Missouri)??? I'm already paying yearly taxes on the Hyundai, my truck, the 442 and two motorcycles! This is starting to get real, and I'm seeing your wisdom more and more! Here's a couple of pics so you can see what caught my eye, the car is pretty damn pristine for a true survivor car. I'm not going to name, names, but I had one of known "experts" on this site look at the complete set of pics of the car and he told me the car looks to be 99.5% original from everything that he can see. P.S., car does come with the complete set of original wheels and hubcaps that are all in excellent condition.

Old November 21st, 2020, 05:46 AM

Chris, What I should do is go sit in a corner until the urge goes away.

BTW, She's a beauty
Old November 21st, 2020, 06:54 AM

Chris, What I should do is go sit in a corner until the urge goes away.

BTW, She's a beauty
James - I probably just need to pull out copies of my Personal Property Tax Statement and my Classic Car Insurance statement, frame them, and put them up on the wall near where I plug my tablet in. Then, every time I go to pick up my tablet to look at car stuff I'd be reminded of all the "special" extras that go along with owning another one!!!
Old November 21st, 2020, 06:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out, and cold. Hasn't rained in a long while. Don't miss it. Wish it would warm up a little but I think we are beyond that now.

Chris, those obstacles are mere hindrances. You can change the door so the bike will fit through it, and the wall is easy since it's short. Piece of cake. Then you could put in a little turn table like the car is sitting on and just ride into the living room, push a button, and it turns so you can ride out. I don't see a problem

Remember that house I went to look at? I'm gonna buy it. We hashed out a deal and closing is just before Christmas. I figure it will take a good couple of months to get everything moved out of my house, and everything else will go to the shop. The shop I'm not so worried about because I own it and don't make any payments.

Didn't stay too long at the Awful house this morning. None of my friends were there and it was fairly busy. No need to take up space when others could use it. I may go back for lunch because I'm trying to catch up with a guy that goes in usually around 1130 or so. We'll see.

Okay have a good day everyone. Gotta look around and take stock of what's about to happen.

Old November 21st, 2020, 07:13 AM

Good morning everyone

Remember that house I went to look at? I'm gonna buy it. We hashed out a deal and closing is just before Christmas. I figure it will take a good couple of months to get everything moved out of my house, and everything else will go to the shop. The shop I'm not so worried about because I own it and don't make any payments.

Okay have a good day everyone. Gotta look around and take stock of what's about to happen.
Mike - That's great about your home purchase! I bet you're excited, as well you should be. I'm happy for you! My oldest daughter just bought a house and is moving from their home near downtown St. Louis out to the country down near me. They're closing on 21 December. Already having a 2-year old, with another on the way, they don't want the kids to grow up and go to school in that urban environment. She used to have a 10-minute drive to work on side roads to the largest St. Louis hospital, now she'll have a 45-minute drive.
Old November 21st, 2020, 07:18 AM

Congratulations Mike, Let me know if you need any help moving, So, I can set up a conflict
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:13 AM
Running On Empty

Dollars to donuts says an Awful w/in 15’ of Mike’s new house purchase sealed the deal.
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Now that's moving bails in style, baby! Love the Vista Cruiser.

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
70 Vista cruiser
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:40 AM
Running On Empty

Good morning guys,
Norm - I'm out of touch with the latest in high tech golf equipment, but know enough that Calloway is still making some of the best stuff out there. I was not familiar with Mizuno being in the high end/high tech driver game? I'm sure all your clubs are top notch, well worth the investment for how much you like to play!
Chris - My irons are ~15 yrs old. The other stuff in the bag is much newer; and, I just bought a new full-size bag ~3 weeks ago. My previous bag was a Sun Mountain C-130. It lasted ~15 years. I have ~4-5 walking/carry bags but they aren't very handy for anything more than walking with just clubs. Since I have a push cart and walk all the time, I really needed another full-size golf bag.
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:43 AM
Running On Empty

Honestly, I don't think I'm very good - I would say I'm an average golfer in all respects.
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

Norm [I hope ] knows I messing with him.
Yeah....right....oh sure. Just like Jon (rocketscientis) is messing with everyone. LMFAO
Old November 21st, 2020, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

...do I really need another car that sits 95% of the time...???
No

Walk away. Then send me the amount you would have spent so I can go to Africa on a safari.

What you said was "need". What you [probably] meant to say was "want". You need your health, you need food, you need shelter, you need to pee & poop.
As Indira Gandhi said at some point (I'm paraphrasing): Mankind should live by what he needs rather than what he wants. (Or some such B.S.) At any rate, I have some things I want, but definitely don't need them.

Old November 21st, 2020, 11:41 AM
Always room for one more

Actually there is no Awful house in Warm Springs. They are conspicuous by their absence so I asked a friend of mine and he said no one will sell them property. The closest one is I think a 30 minute ride.

So I did go back to AH and I did see my friend. We had a nice chat. I figured I'd have lunch while I was there, but no one came to take my order(nor did I ask) so I came home and fixed a PBJ.

Was sorting through some things earlier, think I'll go back to that. One of the reasons I stayed in this house so long is because I never wanted to go though all this crap and move it. Hm, guess what I'm about to do. I should just back up a big dumpster to the front door.

Okay see ya's.

Old November 21st, 2020, 12:01 PM

Mike, I've lived in the same house since 1976. Last year I got the biggest construction dumpster I could and filled it up in a few days. I can't tell anything is gone
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:48 PM

Honestly, I don't think I'm very good - I would say I'm an average golfer in all respects.
Norm - It's all relative right? The scores I see you regularly posting it looks to me like you're somewhere around a 6 to 8 handicapper. To me and a whole bunch of other folks, thats some damn good shootin!
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:51 PM

No

Walk away. Then send me the amount you would have spent so I can go to Africa on a safari.

What you said was "need". What you [probably] meant to say was "want". You need your health, you need food, you need shelter, you need to pee & poop.
As Indira Gandhi said at some point (I'm paraphrasing): Mankind should live by what he needs rather than what he wants. (Or some such B.S.) At any rate, I have some things I want, but definitely don't need them.
Norm - All so true, can't argue with any of that!
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Mike/James - I am not a hoarder - never have been. Between the two of you I'm cracking up.
Chris - I'm trying to get down to a 2 or 3 handicap. Lots of work.
Mike - Congratulation on the purchase of your house. Way to go. Happy for you, man! Have them pour a concrete pad & have them erect a 60' x 40' out-building before you move in. You might just as well have them install a lift while they're at it.
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:22 PM
Running On Empty

My day began @4:30 am - coffee, headline news for about one hour then out to the man-cave to change the oil on the F250 diesel. I was met w/ a stripped out oil drain plug. That's right, the same garage who last changed the oil when they did all the work. Then, I found two pieces of fan shroud cowling that was not attached/secured. A normal 45' oil change now had to wait until a local parts store opened @ 7:30 am.

Now I'm checking the concrete I poured for the new newel post. It's still soaking wet. WTH? Now I'm digging out stones & sand to ~8" below ground & removing about 1/2 of what I previously poured. None if it set. I worked on a concrete crew for two summers during college, and I've poured thousands of pounds of concrete & mortar in my lifetime. Turns out I used the last of an 80lb bag of Sakrete Concrete mix I had in the garage & I guess it was very, very old - maybe 4-5 yrs old. I should have known better. Now, I'm @ Ace Hardware buying a 40lb bag of Quikrete & finishing the removal of the rest of the bad pour. I didn't have to reset the newel post it remained secure but not set in embedded concrete.

Now I'm back to the automotive parts store to grab an oil pan drain plug. I cleaned & reamed the oil pan drain plug hole threads and thankfully the new drain plug works flawlessly. We all know this could have been far worse had the oil pan threads been stripped as well. I finally finished what I thought was going to be a rudimentary oil change 5 hours later. What I thought was going to be simply adding & caulking the new top cap on the newel post turned out to be another concrete pour.

Quite the day. Argh.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 21st, 2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:25 PM

Congrats Mike. I'd help ya move but, I'm way up here in the North country, so no can do. Just in case ya get the urge to fly me down to help...my back is shot, and you would have to leave me at the awful house until you was done. Nice, but cool day here today. Used a gift certificate from the company to pick up some meat from the butcher's that they normally use. I thought that I would check out the filet mignon, but two 8oz. cuts were $30 bucks. I didn't want it that bad, so I bought some ribeyes, thick cut bacon, and a couple of bacon wrapped chicken breast. Changed the oil in my snow blower, and drained the oil into a plastic coffee can, upon entering the garage, whoops! there it goes on the floor and on one of my suede leather boots. Put oil dry down, and tried cleaning the boot with go jo, didn't seem to work too well, followed up with dawn dish soap (hey it works on oil soaked wild life), not much of an improvement. It's currently sitting in the bathtub, but I may have to put it out in the garage as I can't get the petroleum smell out of it. Dang it, they are comfortable casual boots that I really like, and are only about 3 years old. (Rockports).
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...cleaning the boot with go jo, didn't seem to work too well, followed up with dawn dish soap (hey it works on oil soaked wild life), not much of an improvement. It's currently sitting in the bathtub, but I may have to put it out in the garage as I can't get the petroleum smell out of it. Dang it, they are comfortable casual boots that I really like, and are only about 3 years old. (Rockports).
Dan, buy three or four of those small containers of Baking Soda. Do it right now. The sooner the better before the oil sets completely and begins to dry. Literally pour an entire container of Baking Soda onto your boot. Take a toothbrush and scrub as much of the material as you possibly can with the toothbrush & Baking Soda. You're right to have started soaking the boot - warmer water is better, of course. But the Baking Soda scrub will assist enormously. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 21st, 2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Another trick - maybe not so much of a trick, per se. In particular if the Rockports fabric is a synthetic, you can spray w/ WD-40 - oil removes oil. Then continue with the Baking Soda regime until the odor is gone and more stain is removed.
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:54 PM

Good evening guys,

Norm - Quite the day you had! Could always be worse right, don't have to look far these days to find someone whose having a much worse day than yourself.

We had a great visit with the kids and grandkids this afternoon. Great pizza, cold beer, and my wife made homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing, all YUM!!! Here's a few pics.

Left to Right, Son in law Justin, youngest daughter Blaire holding Keegan (2), me in back, Gabe (7), Son in law Mike holding Ollie (2), oldest daughter Taylor expecting new grandaughter in March

Bob the.Builder (aka Keegan)
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - It sounds like you had a great day. Homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing? OMG, OMG.
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:22 PM
Always room for one more

Norm, the place already has a 30x50 building with two roll up doors. There's room to expand and you bet there's going to be a lift.

Chris that's a good looking group you got there. I second Norm's take on things. Glad you decided to get together.

Been watching Minnie Pearl videos on Youtube. Man do I miss her. Not many celebrities I give two shakes about, but I would have loved to have met her, as cousin Minnie or as Mrs. Cannon.

I baked a chicken kiev tonight. When I lived at home my Mom would buy these chicken kiev's that I'd pop in the microwave and eat as my dinner before I'd head off to work. Hadn't had one in years. So I asked her about them and she got me a box with two in it. I was all ready to pop it in the microwave and I see big warnings on the box. Do Not Microwave! The chicken isn't cooked so the microwave wouldn't work. Strange having the oven going, that doesn't happen very often.

Feels like a movie night. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Old November 21st, 2020, 04:32 PM

Mike, That sounds great- happy for ya, buddy! Norm, I hope your threads in the oil pan are good enough. Mine weren't in my 300 6. That had 1/2 20 threads, your newer Diesel probably has something metric. I'm sure you can get a oversize one if you need to.