The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2020, 04:07 AM

--Hi Guys, CW, I want to say just go to the salvage yard and find a 67-69 Toro and see what it uses and get parts off it. But of course there are no Toros in yards anymore!! But if you could, you could look at the setup. A factory designed package would be best. Maybe if you know someone near enough to you with one you could at least look at it, or could see one at a car show, etc. I've heard some real horror stories of people buying stuff on line that fits all,etc. Let your post get some more replies- I agree it is a great idea. If you have ever had the brake pedal go down easily on a single system after a brake hose blowout you will never forget it.
-- My buddy who fell off roof came back from hospital couple days ago. He was really scared he may have never made it out of hospital. Anyway he is home and his wife is taking good care of him. Now it's just healing. He is a active 68 year old who rides his bike for long 50 mile rides at one time. I just hope he can get back to all that- hopefully he wont be racked with arthritis all over.
Old November 13th, 2020, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Hi Guys,

-- My buddy who fell off roof came back from hospital couple days ago. He was really scared he may have never made it out of hospital. Anyway he is home and his wife is taking good care of him. Now it's just healing. He is a active 68 year old who rides his bike for long 50 mile rides at one time. I just hope he can get back to all that- hopefully he wont be racked with arthritis all over.
Greg - That's great your buddy's home and on the mend. I hope he gets back to where he was soon. It sucks the older we get the longer it takes for even minor injuries to heal, let alone what happened to him!
Old November 13th, 2020, 05:06 AM

-- If you have ever had the brake pedal go down easily on a single system after a brake hose blowout you will never forget it.
YEP!

I've gotten some great info so far. This place is great.

Have a terrific day guys.
Old November 13th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Greg,

Glad you pal is on the mend. Let's pray for 100%

Headed norte,

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old November 13th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Modern Chris Craft Production

Dan - I was perusing the Garage Kept Motors classic car site and came across this 1990 reproduction of a 1930 Chris Craft Model 103 for sale. Is this the type of Chris Craft reproduction that is made where you work? IMHO, the most beautiful pleasure boats ever made. They're only asking a paltry $90K for this one!

Old November 13th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning eveyrone.

Did great at work. The number up front was 85 and we only had to inspect 75. We were done by 930. I swung by the Awful house on the way home but they were jam packed. I might go back in a little bit for lunch, and see a couple guys I haven't seen in awhile.

Beautiful out. A little chilly. Might do some yard work since it isn't supposed to rain for awhile.

That's a beautiful boat. I always say I want a boat, but I've had one and didn't do anything with it. Sort of like camping trailers. Eh, nice to look at.

CW if you have too much money you could call Wilwood and get a complete custom system. I saw where Leno had an Imperial that needed brakes, and Wilwood created a custom system just for that car. Say what you will about Leno, he has a cool collection and takes good care of everything.

So far the weekend is open. I'm sure I'll come up with something to do. Might try to have a little fun. Fun what's that?

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old November 13th, 2020, 09:43 AM

Chris, that is a sweet boat, but we made new fiberglass boats, 17' to 41'. After Chris Craft shut down, one of my former boss's ( Merle Cook) went on to start a company that built reproduction wooden Chris Craft boats like the one that you have there. That may be one of them. They were high quality and not cheap.
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Here is their website. They moved into the old Chris Craft factory where I worked. https://www.grandcraft.com/ I looked for news articles pertaining to the company in Holland, Mi. He is not mentioned, weird as they had a news feature with him back when they started it. As he was a manager, and not the foreman in my dept., perhaps his role was different than I remember at Grandcraft.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 13th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old November 13th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Very happy to hear your friend is home & on the mend!
Chris & Dan - I love Chris Craft vessels. The only vessels my friends parents had as I was growing up were Chris Craft. Superior quality & workmanship. Dan, glad you made a full recovery after having been distracted by my pictures.
I've owned a modest number of vessels in various size ranges over the years. But, you know which type I've come to admire the most as I've put on some years? One of those sweet riverboat salons - just something to meander about in canals, rivers, etc.
The tail end of Eta passed just offshore from us here on the Crystal Coast of NC. It rained lightly the entire night and cleared up early this morning. The sun wasn't out, but the weather was mild and comfortable. 41/42 this morning. Tomorrow, I'm playing with three other friends in a Toys-4-Tots tournament at a different course. Tee time 10:00AM.

This was my last vessel. A 25.5' C-Dory (made in the state of Washington). They make a nice vessel.

Old November 13th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Good evening guys,

Dan - The pic I posted is a real Chris Craft, it's only a reproduction from the aspect that it's a reproduction of a previous 1930 model. I checked out the website for the company started by your former coworker and those boats look like high end craftsmanship too.

Norm - That is a beautiful boat too! I used to do alot of inland fishing and had many different boats through the years. When I was married to my girl's mom, we had a two bedroom cabin on stilts directly on the bank of the Current River near Doniphan, Missouri only a couple of miles from the Arkansas line. When we bought that place I sold my BassTracker fiberglass bass boat and bought a 20-foot aluminum flat bottom, semi-V, Shoal Runner powered by a 350ci inboard jet. Just the ticket for shallow water river fishing. It only displaced 5-inches of water sitting still and I could literally run in 3-inches of water if up on plane. Lost the cabin and my boat in the divorce, and haven't had a boat or fished since.
Old November 13th, 2020, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
20-foot aluminum flat bottom, semi-V, Shoal Runner powered by a 350ci inboard jet.
Well that got me to drooling all over my keyboard.
Old November 13th, 2020, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
YEP! I've gotten some great info so far. This place is great. Have a terrific day guys.
CW - I see where Joe has made short-order of fixing you up. Good deal!
Old November 14th, 2020, 07:07 AM

Good morning guys,
Just plain miserable out here right now at 42 degrees and a heavy rain that's supposed to last all day and into the evening. I mowed yesterday for what was hopefully the last time. I mowed as much to mulch leaves as I did to actually cut the grass. No big plans for today, maybe just watch a little college football if there are any interesting games on, and check into "The Masters" from time to time to check the leaderboard. I hope everyone has a great day!
Old November 14th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah how nice to sleep in. Almost 8oclock. Got up and hit the Awful house. We just got back. Very pretty out. A little cool for my liking but no rain so that's good.

I think I'll run down and have an informal look at a place I like. It's about an hour and a half from here. It would be an hour's drive to work but it's a nice house, lots of covered parking, a few acres, I could really get into it. I used to drive an hour to work.

Chris just remember an inch of rain equals 10 inches of snow. Cold and rain, good TV day.

By the way, I'm looking for a hood for a 60 Valiant if anyone has one laying around.

Well have a good day everyone!

Old November 14th, 2020, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris just remember an inch of rain equals 10 inches of snow. Cold and rain, good TV day.

Well have a good day everyone!
Mike - You're right, I'd much rather have the rain than snow. I have a hard time sitting inside all day though. Maybe I'll go out to the garage and piddle around a bit later if I get too stir crazy. I hope the property you go to check out exceeds your expectations. Give us a scouting report when you get back if you have a free moment. Good luck!
Old November 14th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Running On Empty

I ran into a friend who I haven't seen in several years who now resides in the same community as the golf club I played today for the Toys-4-Tots tournament and we had a nice visit. He didn't recognize me at first when I pulled over to chat, which eventually led us to his home for a longer chat. He asked where I got the car. I told him Pablo gave it to me.

Absolutely gorgeous golf weather - 67°F, 3 mph breeze. I like riding around in one of those golf carts. Sweet.

Old November 14th, 2020, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I ran into a friend who I haven't seen in several years who now resides in the same community as the golf club I played today for the Toys-4-Tots tournament and we had a nice visit. He didn't recognize me at first when I pulled over to chat, which eventually led us to his home for a longer chat. He asked where I got the car. I told him Pablo gave it to me.

Absolutely gorgeous golf weather - 67°F, 3 mph breeze. I like riding around in one of those golf carts. Sweet.
Norm - Nice hat, did you get that from Pablo too? Love your car, a real beauty! Was the golf tournament a 4-man scramble format? I always thought those were alot of fun to play in.
Old November 14th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. Yes, a 4-man scramble. Good fun.
Old November 14th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

What a lovely day for a ride today. Not hot, sun was out, no asshat's in traffic(for a change), it was nice all day. It was still a nice day coming home but I was tired.

First drove past a property I wanted to see, I didn't think I'd be interested and that was confirmed when I went past. Seven acres but oddly shaped, and what I thought was odd was the driveway was an easement down the side of the neighbor's property going to one street, but it almost was a flag property with a good portion of its own going down to another street. Plus it was a modular and plus it had no covered parking plus it was not very well situated amongst the other houses. Glad I stopped by.

Second stop was to see an ancient camping trailer. I don't want it to camp in, more of a static thing to mess around with. I was told in an email it had been moved in the last couple years. I think it's been sitting for 40 years. Actually a solid body but the inside was toast as was the floor. I was afraid to walk too far in. Gonna keep looking.

Finally got to the place I really wanted to look at. The house is nothing to look at, and is sort of weird, read dated, inside, but the shop buildings in back were very nice and the yard is huge! Maybe two chain link acres in front and the balance of the 4 1/2 acres in back with woods all around. I didn't get out of the car. The place is vacant but without an appointment and agent along, I pretty much didn't need to be there. Long driveway I went up, loved the place.

I wanted to do a time trial from that place up to my work, to see how long it would take during "perfect" conditions. Daylight, easy traffic, that sort of thing. Didn't work out. My phone went dead just as I was getting there, so no map aid, I had to stop for gas, I stopped so Tiger could have a potty break, construction and detours, and semi trucks all damn day on two lane roads. At least I'd be on those roads before the chickens got up.

Very nice day. Long drive, I think I was gone 6 and a half hours. Tiger as usual was awesome and it was much better having him along as company than him sitting home by himself. If I go back with my realtor he'll have to stay home.

Norm I really like that car. Usually not a fan of Bamboo, but your's seems a little more yellow. Like custard. The wheels are excellent. Is the top brown vinyl or more of a canvas, like a Mercedes? I love custard btw.

Okay I'm already in my jammies and I think I'll relax tonight and watch a movie. Chris the phone dinged with your post just now so I'll see that in a minute. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 14th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That third/final place you got to doesn't sound too bad. Nice acreage and covered out buildings. I like (love) custard, as well. Yes, the color of the CS is more towards custard than yellow. The tonneau cover is a vinyl. It's that one year only (1971) Sienna color.
Old November 14th, 2020, 07:09 PM
Always room for one more

Actually Norm I was talking about the folding top, the hood as the English would call it. The whole thing that covers your noggin when it's raining.

Old November 14th, 2020, 07:15 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The folding convertible top is a brown canvas top like a Mercedes. The Brits call the glass in a car windscreens.
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:04 AM

Sounds like a nice cruise, Mike. Norm- love your car! Basically the same car as mine but looks completely different because of the color. Nice!! They really are nice cruisers aren't they?
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:18 AM
Running On Empty

Hi Greg - Thanks. After having rebuilt the entire suspension last winter I remain with pretty sloppy steering - looser than a goose. I actually made an adjustment to the steering box twice and I finally realized I made that adjustment incorrectly. The play exists in the steering column through the rag joint coupler down to the steering box. I was making adjustments to the that lockdown bolt into the steering box while the car was on the ground finding nothing I did tightened it up. I think I’m supposed to have both wheels off the ground to make that adjustment. My mistake probably made it worse having created more play! Argh. At any rate, I’ll be addressing the steering and additional MAWs this winter and do it properly. If I find the steering box is beyond adjustment, I’ll look further into a replacement. Most of the stuff this winter will be cosmetic and long-term maintenance items.

Gorgeous day - 74F. Yard & landscaping day today. The new newel post is painted and dried. Need to put the concrete diamond blade on the Milwaukee hand saw and get ready to cut out the concrete to receive the new newel post.
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:39 AM

Sounds like a nice cruise, Mike. Norm- love your car! Basically the same car as mine but looks completely different because of the color. Nice!! They really are nice cruisers aren't they?
Greg , Norm, Kenneth,

Looks like all you guys have beautiful 71's, so I wanted to share this article with you. It was sent to me by a gentleman by the name of John Bumb, who used to own the car, and is a member of the Archway Oldsmobile Club here in St. Louis. I got to know Mr. Bumb by reaching out to him via his contact info listed in a classified ad he is currently running on this site for a "70 Aegean 442". I'm not sure if he's sold that car yet or not. I had reached out to Mr. Bumb for two reasons, first just to introduce myself because I intend to join the Archway Olds Club someday, and second because I was curious whether the two primary restorers of this 71 were located locally here in the St. Louis area. Turns out the two guys primarily responsibile for doing the restoration on this car are local, and Mr. Bumb was kind enough to provide me with their contact info. I had been searching for awhile for competent local Oldsmobile restoration experts because I may invest some more bucks in my car at some point down the road. Anyway, thought you guys would enjoy the pics and story behind this car.

Old November 15th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Thanks for a great article.

Mike, I used to have a 45 minute commute on the freeway and it wasn't bad for a 40 mile trip. I also went to school at the U of Minnesota Twin Cities. That was a 90 minute commute to go 20 miles. yuk!

I got some seriously good advice so far on switching to a dual res master cylinder. I love this place.

Am I correct that Chris Craft was/is a Wisconsin company?
Old November 15th, 2020, 08:04 AM

Nice boats, We have alot of older wooden boats on my lake, They have wooden boats shows that I like to go look at them but that's as close as I want to get

I'm striving for low maintenance

I went to School with one of the daughters of Rybovich ]At the time I had no idea what a Rybovich boat was. But for an XL lady she always dated a studd I guess some people knew

https://www.michaelrybovichandsons.com/

My Mantra is
If it flies floats or fornicates, You're better off renting

Wish I had followed my own advice

But I had a Donzi and now a Whaler,
Old November 15th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
Thanks for a great article.

Am I correct that Chris Craft was/is a Wisconsin company?
CW - Glad you enjoyed the article. Chris Craft started in Algonac, Michigan on the northeast side of Detroit. The only reason I know is because I'm originally from Michigan. I believe they also had a location in Holland, MI over on the west side of the state near Lake Michigan.
Old November 15th, 2020, 08:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Supposed to rain a little but the sun is out and it's comfy so maybe the rain will bypass us. That would be a good thing because I need to work on the dogmobile today.

Slept in and then went to Awful house. Had a bite and talked with some friends. One thing I found out is Warm Springs GA doesn't want an Awful house so they won't sell them any land. Hm, I may have to reconsider this whole thing.

Think I'll do my weekly trip to Walmart now and get that out of the way, then get busy with the dogmobile. Changing trans filter and whatever fluid is in the pan. I installed a drain plug in the pan and that helps a little, but it's still a big mess and a big pain.

Okay have a good Sunday everyone.

Old November 15th, 2020, 08:38 AM

I liked the article about the 1971 442, all except the part about the "3:23" rearend.

It really irks me when folks can't get that right, especially in a professionally published magazine such as that. It's a 3.23:1 rearend, or shortened to 3.23. It's a ratio - 3.23:1, as in 3.23 turns of the driveshaft to 1 turn of the axle shaft. Can you imagine a car with a 3:23 gear ratio? Talk about a dog off the line.

Well it appears that summer just won't release its grip on us. Another week of sweating while walking the dogs.

Old November 15th, 2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I liked the article about the 1971 442, all except the part about the "3:23" rearend.

Well it appears that summer just won't release its grip on us. Another week of sweating while walking the dogs.
Kenneth - I can't believe those kind of temps are hanging on this long for you guys, unbelievable! On the 71' 442 article, I notice the car has SS1 wheels on it. I would have thought 71's would have had SS2's, or were both types available?
Old November 15th, 2020, 09:14 AM

I would have thought SS III
Old November 15th, 2020, 09:24 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Most people are lazy dumb phuques for the most part and are either clueless regarding any form of math education or just too lazy to fact-check information - in fear that may require actual work. Imagine how many people in our country cannot perform simple multiplication and/or division. These people have no idea what a fraction is. They don’t know the numerator from the denominator or which is divided into which. Imagine these same people trying to get their head around the fact a ratio is a fraction. Imagine more importantly they have even the faintest clue what a ratio is. You’re expecting an awfully lot from the illiterates.
Old November 15th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Always room for one more

My understanding is the all chrome SS1's are correct for 71, and the ones with the trim rings are correct for 70

Walmart was not the cesspool it normally is today. Got in and got out, no grief and no stupid people. Hm, I wonder if I was actually at Walmart.

The nice day has given way to clouds and mist. I think it will be an inside afternoon.

Old November 15th, 2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
My understanding is the all chrome SS1's are correct for 71, and the ones with the trim rings are correct for 70
Mike is correct, all chrome SS1's without trim rings were available on the 71's, as well as SS2's and SS3's. The page at the following link shows all 3 varieties were available on 71's:
http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/superstock.htm
Old November 15th, 2020, 10:30 AM

Chris, thanks for the article- good read. Norm, I had a gearbox rebuilt for my Cutlass by Chip at Chips Power Steering. It was rebuilt to the 12.7 ratio supposedly. It is much quicker than the original box and not sloppy at all. Though it still isn't like a late model rack and pinion set up. I had a 72 Cutlass parts car that I took out the steer box and sent to Chip, that way I still have the original box up in the attic of the barn and also it made it a one day affair to put in the quicker box (after I got it back). I say it was supposedly made to the 12.7 ratio because to be truthful, I really don't know what ratio it is as they were supposed to be variable ratio. Anyway seems like it is supposed to be like a box from a late 70's Trans Am. I have also heard that these cars like a lot more Caster than the original settings if it has newer radial tires. Mine is set to original setting but if I get it realigned I may see about adding more caster.
Old November 15th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Thanks that’s good info. I’ve followed numerous threads RE: steering boxes, mftr, ratios, under steering, caster etc. it will take me a concerted effort once I get it back on jacks. I had the alignment shop add extra caster when I rebuilt the suspension and front end. Not certain it was done exactly as I specified. One thing is for certain though, I have I’d say ~3” of free play in the steering column. The rag joint has no free play at all. Free play appears to be in the steering box.

I also want to paint my door arm rests both sides. I have absolutely no clue how that’s done. I mean I certainly know how to mask & paint, but I’m clueless on any type of paint for that type application. I am not going to buy new arm rests/door panels for faded worn paint or dye or whatever it is. I’m hoping others have painted these things before and can provide recommendations regarding prep & paint.
Old November 15th, 2020, 11:37 AM

For any of you guys that haven't been following "The Masters", former two time champion Bernhard Langer became the oldest golfer ever to make the weekend cut at 63 years old. Not only that, he finished at -3, well above many of the young bucks in the field. Don't know about you guys, but it gives me inspiration to Keep On Keepin On!!!
Old November 15th, 2020, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

Tiger shot my normal Par 3.
Go DJ!
Mize performing well.
Old November 15th, 2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tiger shot my normal Par 3.
Go DJ!
Mize performing well.
I have a whole new appreciation for Tiger's game with him shooting a "Septuple bogey 10" at #12. AiYiYi