The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2024, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I’m exhausted just thinking about your day.
Norm - You're spot on! You've probably figured out by now that I NEVER skip my daily workout unless there's a major event or I'm on death's door sick. Well this evening when I got home, I was absolutely beat and had zero motivation to workout. All I wanted was a warm meal, a cold beer, and soon a warm bed.
Old January 17th, 2024, 08:56 PM

I need to get off my *** and lose more weight.

Tired of the cold. Guess I have to go in to the plant tomorrow. They're rolling out an updated return to office plan, reestablishing core hours and days. This mainly affects headquarters people as those of us at the satellite offices already work most days from the plant. I think I worked from home some 10 or so days last year out of a nominal 250 so I am way ahead of the 60% they want peoples' asses in chairs onsite in this new plan.

One benefit of cleaning out two relatives' houses in the past decade, along with having a dad wanting rid of some office and home furniture is that I have had to purchase one bed, one recliner, one sofa, and one office chair to completely furnish my house. All tables, non-upholstered chairs, cabinets, shelves, and desks have been acquired along the way, along with two couches and a bed from years ago. I have had to had refinished two tables, and several chairs mechanically repaired. I also built my own stereo and TV racks.

Put two of the three proofs into the H/OCA newsletter today. I had to do some research into comma usage for introductory clauses. I dumped a whole webpage of text into my style guide. I'll get the last proofing this weekend, slam it in, and fire that thing off to the printer before Monday.
Old January 18th, 2024, 03:10 AM

Chris, you are a lucky guy to have her. She wants you to be informed and values your opinion on the furniture, even tough you really don't give a ratsass, just want her to be happy. Sounds like she has more than paid for the new furniture from the proceeds from her refurbish jobs! John, That editing seems like a huge job! I know it has to be proper, it seems it is so much easier to speak than to print. Print has no expression, change in tone, etc. Whew, a heat wave here! Temp has doubled this morning from yesterday! From 6 to 12!!!
Old January 18th, 2024, 03:15 AM

Oh, one other funny thing, I was looking thru the new Hemmings Classic Car mag at a article about a green '67 Chevy K10. Looked at the picture captions and the owner of the truck is Greg Rogers!!! No not me. wow....
Old January 18th, 2024, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, you are a lucky guy to have her. She wants you to be informed and values your opinion on the furniture, even tough you really don't give a ratsass, just want her to be happy. Sounds like she has more than paid for the new furniture from the proceeds from her refurbish jobs!
Greg - Yes, I am very lucky to have her for sure. She certainly more than pulls her weight around here the way she takes care of our home and me. My bitchin yesterday was more a reflection on me than her. I'm not a fan of shopping of any kind, and 7-hours in a row to pick out a living room set pushed me over the edge. It's all good! 👍
Old January 18th, 2024, 07:19 AM
Running On Empty

Oh, one other funny thing, I was looking thru the new Hemmings Classic Car mag at a article about a green '67 Chevy K10. Looked at the picture captions and the owner of the truck is Greg Rogers!!! No not me. wow....
Greg - You checked in your storage barn to be sure?
Old January 18th, 2024, 07:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Was much warmer this morning when I left the house. 26* . Supposed to be 50 today it better hurry.

Generally I consider my wall guy a good wall guy, and he's a great guy anyway, but this morning he is dog slow. It's lunch time, and I have 6 wheels signed. I should have 20. Most of it is the lead isn't here. He disappears for long stretches and when he is here he's on his phone. I've adopted a I don't care attitude, which is bad but what am I going to do. I can't hold a gun on him and force him to work.

I was just telling a guy this morning that I needed a change of scenery. Then this comes up on the Humor thread. https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...TcGd2gBMcw8fxQ
How cool would that be to drive that guy. All the hot dogs you could eat. Lots of jokes about ketchup. Eh, the salary is a tad below what I make now.

I've tried all week to get to work on the bedroom project at Mom's. Today may be the day. She still hasn't cleared off the bed so once I get this second patch put in it's on to another project. Immediately she will start in on when are you going to finish that room?

Okay have a good day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; January 18th, 2024 at 07:56 AM.
Old January 18th, 2024, 10:05 AM

Well now we are getting freezing rain on top of the snow .
The light fluffy snow wasn’t too bad to drive on but this is insane slick. Cars are sliding off the interstate, back roads are a hockey rink The news says Davenport has 80 calls for jack knifed trucks and 50 calls on hold to get in the que for help.

We really we’re getting through it until this morning.

MLG&W kept the power on and Tdot is keeping the state routes plowed but that’s just the 2 main interstate loops and state highways. I’m unsure if our county has any plow trucks.

We watched a great documentary on MASH last night on Hulu.

Last edited by mattking; January 18th, 2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old January 18th, 2024, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

I was just telling a guy this morning that I needed a change of scenery. Then this comes up on the Humor thread. https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...TcGd2gBMcw8fxQ
How cool would that be to drive that guy. All the hot dogs you could eat. Lots of jokes about ketchup. Eh, the salary is a tad below what I make now.
In high school my very first car was a 88 celebrity Eurosport. I don’t know what made it a sport anything but it was black and had mag wheels

anyway. There’s a stop light that led to a two lane ramp onto the interstate. We were skipping school and I had a car load of friends. We lined up next to the wienermonile I put it in neutral and was revving it up. The wienermobile ignored me until I floored it going up the ramp At about 20 mph The back of the wiener squatted and he flew past us going up the ramp.

We all thought it was the coolest thing ever
Old January 18th, 2024, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mattking
Well now we are getting freezing rain on top of the snow . The light fluffy snow wasn’t too bad to drive on but this is insane slick. Cars are sliding off the interstate, back roads are a hockey rink The news says Davenport has 80 calls for jack knifed trucks and 50 calls on hold to get in the que for help. We really we’re getting through it until this morning. MLG&W kept the power on and Tdot is keeping the state routes plowed but that’s just the 2 main interstate loops and state highways. I’m unsure if our county has any plow trucks. We watched a great documentary on MASH last night on Hulu.
The way people drive today (including CDL) is utterly insane. I loved the original (1970) M*A*S*H movie which I saw at the Drive-In theater the week of its release. I loved the director Robert Altman. I enjoyed the entire MASH T.V. series, as well. Alan Alda was a great actor/director & he's still on this side of the grass at 87 yrs.
Old January 18th, 2024, 10:38 AM

Memphis really does have a lot of cool stuff going for it, and that ls why it is such a shame w have all this crime

we still have a working drive in. It has changed owners but never gone out of business. For the last dozen or more years they run a special drive in season from dusk till usually 3-4 am

Here is this years line up
Old January 18th, 2024, 10:45 AM
Running On Empty

I love Drive-In theaters. My parents used to go to the Drive-In theater maybe once/month - it was so much fun. Spent numerous occasions in the trunk or driving while others were in the trunk to bypass having to pay to get in during H.S. years. On USAF active duty I restored a 1953 GMC pick-up (~1975/76) in California. Found out it was a great Drive-In theater vehicle as I learned from many others w/ a pick-up you can pull in backwards into the parking ramp, take out the folding lounge chairs, &/or blankets to watch the movie(s) in the truck bed. Good times.
Old January 18th, 2024, 11:10 AM
Running On Empty

Perhaps it's been recent discussions of M*A*S*H, but last night I fired up one of my all-time favorites - The Blues Brothers. Not only do I enjoy the movie for it's directing/producing/acting credits but I was born in Chicago raised in Chicago & Elgin, IL. I recognize nearly every street where the movie was filmed - from Wheaton, IL through Chicago, Prospect Heights and beyond. Attended a H.S. trip to Joliet (IL) state prison (1967), hung out in Humboldt Park, watched many Second City films, saw many of the Second City actors walking back & forth through Wells Street, Maxwell Street & saw a lot of music at Buckingham Fountain, Grant Park. Hell, I dated the daughter of a V.P. of Sears who lived in Wheaton, IL (1972). I could only watch 1/2 the movie last night - had to save the second 1/2 for tonight. Little had I known many of these people I saw (Second City) would go on to become actors/actresses/musicians.
Old January 18th, 2024, 11:20 AM

Matt - Nothing worse than ice! Hope you don't have to be out in it too much!

Some good shows at the Drive-In, I especially like the June 22nd date with the Coen Brothers films!
Old January 18th, 2024, 11:26 AM

Perhaps it's been recent discussions of M*A*S*H, but last night I fired up one of my all-time favorites - The Blues Brothers. Not only do I enjoy the movie for it's directing/producing/acting credits but I was born in Chicago raised in Chicago & Elgin, IL. I recognize nearly every street where the movie was filmed - from Wheaton, IL through Chicago, Prospect Heights and beyond.
Norm - I'm sure you probably know this, but Groundhog Day was filmed in Woodstock, IL on the northwest side of Chicago. The only reason I know this is because I bought my Yamaha from a dealer (now defunct) there and they pointed it out. Love that movie.
Old January 18th, 2024, 11:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I'm sure you probably know this, but Groundhog Day was filmed in Woodstock, IL on the northwest side of Chicago. The only reason I know this is because I bought my Yamaha from a dealer (now defunct) there and they pointed it out. Love that movie.
I did know. So many of those movies by so many of those guys born raised in Chicago area were actually filmed in neighborhoods they all grew up in/around i.e. Harry Ramis, Bill Murray, Jim/John Belushi, Eugene Levy. The most notable guy I recall more than others was Gene Levy, I used to see him in many Second City productions and hanging around Grant Park/Humboldt Park. Probably so because of (1) his looks and (2) he was older than many of the others by several years.
Old January 18th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Running On Empty

Dad worked for AT&T (Illinois Bell Telephone Co.) 43 years - 1/2 that time in downtown Chicago the other 1/2 in West Chicago (Dad was born in Southern, IL). He had two hobbies each week - bowling & poker. Bowling was on leagues around our house (Elgin, IL) poker was generally around the Chicago area (Wednesday nights). Dad used to eat dinner at this place Fair Oaks Restaurant Wednesday evenings &/or other times - generally either by himself or w/ other poker players (AT&T work friends) before they headed to someones house for poker night. Two things: (1) Dad would often times see Bobby Hull & other Blackhawk players eating there - like regular Joes; and, (2) That restaurant was owned by Jim/John Belushi's Dad, Adam. Of course, no one knew or had any idea who the hell Jim &/or John Belushi were during that time period.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:05 PM

Two things: (1) Dad would often times see Bobby Hull & other Blackhawk players eating there - like regular Joes; and, (2) That restaurant was owned by Jim/John Belushi's Dad, Adam. Of course, no one knew or had any idea who the hell Jim &/or John Belushi were during that time period.
Cool story, thanks for sharing! 👍
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:08 PM
Running On Empty

I especially like the June 22nd date with the Coen Brothers films!
Lots of the dates look really good. Here's one for ya. I was an Exchange student in Europe summer 1969. I saw the original production of Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London. Tim Curry's first lead theatrical performance of his career was 'Woof'. Of course, Tim went on to become Dr. Frank-n-Furter in Rocky Horror Picture Show. I do in fact remember him pretty well in Hair. This was NOT a movie, but the full-blown theatrical performance. I was 16 years old. It was mind-boggling.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:17 PM

Not just the theatrical performance, but I'm sure the entire experience of being an Exchange Student in London at the age of 16 "was mind boggling"! I bet that was a wonderful experience!
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:28 PM
Running On Empty

Not just the theatrical performance, but I'm sure the entire experience of being an Exchange Student in London at the age of 16 "was mind boggling"! I bet that was a wonderful experience!
There were 250 of us. Five buses loaded 50 students/bus. The program fulfilled some portion of a pre-college/H.S. social studies curriculum of some sort. The program was entitled International Cultural Exchange. We had something like a 30 minute test/quiz every two weeks during the entire summer. Test/Quiz followed each stay in a different city. Stays in different cities generally lasted ~2 weeks - 3 weeks, during which time we'd travel also to various other culturally well known areas: Rome, Pompeii, Venice, Florence, etc.; Paris, Versailles, The Louvre; Austria, Germany & England. It was an eye-opener and in most cities you could drink alcohol at 16 yrs but our chaperones were very nosy, indeed.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:34 PM

Norm, I got some buddies that worked the EJE. It bypasses the rail traffic in and out of Chicago proper. I haven't been to Elgin, but I've been to Wheaton and Franklin IL.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:42 PM

Matt - Nothing worse than ice! Hope you don't have to be out in it too much!

Some good shows at the Drive-In, I especially like the June 22nd date with the Coen Brothers films!
Im home and not leaving until the thaw on Sunday.

We may hit the rocky horror pictures show night, and Maybe Goodfellas/ Taxi Driver.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mattking
Im home and not leaving until the thaw on Sunday.

We may hit the rocky horror pictures show night, and Maybe Goodfellas/ Taxi Driver.
Good deal! I see there's more bitter cold moving in again tomorrow night thru Sunday morning, not quite as cold as before,, but still single digits overnight Friday and Saturday here.

Old January 18th, 2024, 01:03 PM

Norm - Sounds like an incredible experience in Europe, something I would have loved. The only summer school I went to in College was when I went off to mandatory Summer Field Camp between my Junior and Senior years of undergrad. Albion College had been bequeathed a large ranch (Calwood Ranch) 17-miles northwest of Boulder, CO near the little town of Jamestown, and that was our Base camp. We also took multi-day excursions to other areas like Big Thompson Canyon, Garden of the God's, and Great Sand Dunes National Monument to do mapping projects/exercises. It was a fun time and I learned alot. The instructors would let us go into Boulder on the weekends. We'd usually buy some beer and hit the beach at the reservoir there near town to remember what good looking women actually looked like!
Old January 18th, 2024, 01:11 PM
Running On Empty

Going to be cold here, as well. Nothing like the cold being experienced elsewhere - cold, none-the-less. I think we average ~5 days/yr below 25°F. The wind-chill makes it feel colder, but I don't believe we've sunk below 25°F, as yet.
Old January 18th, 2024, 01:39 PM

I like what they did in Holland, MI (in the 1980s?) when they installed the nation's largest radiant heat system to melt snow at the rate of 1"/hr from heated water discharge from their electric station
this was also done in Grand Haven, Mi. a couple of years ago. Grand Haven is about 15 miles south of me, Holland, about 35miles. My grandparents lived In Anchorage during the '64 quake. They came through unscathed. Norm, I thought you were a cheesehead by birth. Amish dining set is ready to be delivered.
Old January 18th, 2024, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Mom is from Wisconsin (Dickeyville).
Old January 18th, 2024, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Spectrum Alert: Service Outage

No Internet for awhile.
Old January 19th, 2024, 04:44 AM

heading norte
Old January 19th, 2024, 05:57 AM

Norm, you said your dad was from southern Illinois? My dad was also. My grandparents lived in Johnston City. Familiar with that town? I used to go there for 2 weeks a summer and stay with them- great times!
Old January 19th, 2024, 07:01 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Dad was from Sainte Marie, Illinois. I'm not familiar w/ Johnston City. I recall he had cousins in Marion, Effingham & Newton. Dad's parents owned the Geltz Hotel, Sainte Marie. Sainte Marie is a tiny little village.
Old January 19th, 2024, 10:17 AM

Norm, you said your dad was from southern Illinois? My dad was also. My grandparents lived in Johnston City. Familiar with that town? I used to go there for 2 weeks a summer and stay with them- great times!
Greg - I'm familiar with Johnston City, not far south of Rend Lake where I used to fish sometimes when I still had my boat. It's about a 2-hour drive from me.
Old January 19th, 2024, 11:13 AM

Norm/guys - I had posted a day or two ago about the Geology Field Camp course I took in Colorado in the summer of '80. It got me thinking about whether I had any pics from my time out there? I could only find one, a hardcopy 8" by 10" group photo the College gave us at the conclusion of the course. The photo was taken at Chasm Lake which is at the base of the northern slope of Longs Peak. The photo was taken at the end of July, but you'll notice the snow still in the background on the slope, elevation 11,760'. Four of us, including me, were crazy enough to go for a dip for maybe 30-seconds, kinda like the Polar Bear Club! Not gonna say which one is me, you'll have to play "find Chris". You should have a "Field Day" with this one, pun intended 😜

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 19th, 2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old January 19th, 2024, 12:59 PM

New Living Room grouping just got here and the wife loves it. All's well!

Old January 19th, 2024, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - How many of those in your class went on to become roadies for Motley Crue?
Sofa ensemble looks comfy.
Old January 19th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Chicken persillade ( parsley, garlic, chives, evoo)
Old January 19th, 2024, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chicken persillade ( parsley, garlic, chives, evoo)
Jim - Never heard of it until I just looked it up and found Chef Pepin's preparation. Looks very tasty. Not sure about "evoo" - what's that?
Old January 19th, 2024, 02:06 PM
Running On Empty

Never mind. EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Old January 19th, 2024, 02:59 PM

Norm, I saw jacque make it and I thought I'd give it a try