The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2023, 01:57 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Thanks. I'm feeling better, already. Sleep certainly helps. I think I'll head off & get more.
Old December 31st, 2023, 09:20 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a good trip yesterday. Long day. Had a nice visit, though short, with my friends, got the car loaded up and hit the road back. Got home around 830. Went to pick up Tiger and got stuck watching that goofy Daniel ODonnell on TV. Mom loves that guy. Anyway slept good and got up late this morning.

We just got back from the Walmart lunacy so now I need to get the groceries put away and then I'm going to mess around with that car this afternoon.

Jamesbo that's odd that the military people would want you to throw up pasta.

Chris I've been washing my hands when I return from Walmart for years.

Norm hope you're feeling better. Even if you're sick it's still fun to be in your jammies all day.

Okay a quick lunch then off to play Corvair. Nice here. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old December 31st, 2023, 09:33 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Thanks. Jammies it is.
Jim - No soup in the house, picked up chicken noodle, vegetable beef & chunky clam chowder from grocery store.

I'll most likely use a test kit to test for COVID-19 after lunch sometime. I don't have a consistent nagging cough, no head rush of snot (caused by a cytokine storm), very mild headache after awakening which subsides, and no chills - definitely nothing like the chills you get when struck w/ the flu - I know that feeling all too well having been raised in the Great White North. My muscles seriously ache for some time and I think I'm more tired than usual. I think it's a combination of being an old geezer & fighting "sumpin". I've been sleeping alot which is a serious benefit of being retired as I know how absolutely miserable it is to have work responsibilities when fighting the flu, rhinovirus and I can't image what it's like fighting COVID-19 struggling to maintain your mental & physical wits.

Finished Band of Brothers last night. I want to follow-up with the sequel stuff which Dan suggested. I have Spectrum + Netflix; therefore, not sure what's available to me - I'll see.

Happy New Year to Everyone.
Old December 31st, 2023, 09:39 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - Glad you had a safe trip with no issues! Show us a pic or two of the new Corvair when you get a chance.

Cold (38°) and gloomy here, but at least no precip in the forecast. Couple of good NFL games on today that I plan to watch after I get my workout done, which I'll be starting here in a few minutes. The two College Semi-Final games are on tomorrow, and they should both be great ones. Of course I'm pulling for Michigan over Alabama. Go Blue!

Hope ya'll have a great New Year's!

Old December 31st, 2023, 11:44 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Good deal. The Pacific is on Netflix
Old December 31st, 2023, 12:02 PM

I have a warped sense of humor and had to chuckle at reading this after the posts about spaghetti.
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
chunky clam chowder
Old December 31st, 2023, 12:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have a warped sense of humor and had to chuckle at reading this after the posts about spaghetti.
Very good...
Old December 31st, 2023, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

I have five SARS-CoV-2 Antigen test kits:

x1 by BOSON (2 tests ea.) = x2 tests
x2 by iHealth (2 tests ea.) = x4 tests
x2 by Abbott (2 tests ea.) = x4 tests

I'm going to perform the Abbot test.
Old December 31st, 2023, 03:19 PM
Running On Empty

Results = Negative

I don't believe I exhibit any hallmark SARS-CoV-2 infection symptoms. I'm going to suggest I have what we commonly refer to as a "bug". Most likely some rhinovirus infection I suspect, I don't exhibit any RSV infection symptoms & I don't exhibit any Influenza infection symptoms.
I'm going to submerge myself into an exceedingly hot Whirlpool then watch the deer feast on their gifts while I watch The Pacific.
Old December 31st, 2023, 03:50 PM
Always room for one more

Well the neighbors were late starting in on their whooping and carrying on. It was twenty after 6 when they started with guns and fireworks. That's okay, they will more than make up for it all evening.

So I went to move stuff around in the basement. While I was doing that I had the big mower on charge so I could move it from in front of the door. Got the basement moved and swept, then it was time for dinner. So if we don't get rain tomorrow I'll get the car off the trailer. No idea what it's supposed to do.

Norm I'm glad you don't have the croup. Maybe a nice hot toddy about the time of the apple drop and you'll have an easy time getting to sleep.

Well I hope everyone has a nice New Years and the year ahead is good to everyone. New Years Eve has never been a big deal to me. My big thing when I was a kid was I'd listen to the WLS yearly countdown of the 100 best songs, while dusting my model cars and rearranging my bedroom. Mom will probably want to go to bed early so I'll go home and go to bed just because I don't have anything better to do.

Onward 2024!

Old December 31st, 2023, 04:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Brilliant idea on the hot toddy - that may be the ticket this evening. We listened to WLS/WCFL all the time in the 60s. Remember well when Lujack moved from WCFL>WLS>WCFL>WLS - it was hop scotch w/ Lujack. Larry Lujack & Joel Sebastian were my favorites.

Evidently either the town or someone has big stuff since I just heard some booms going off. I suppose there will be town fireworks scheduled for this evening. I don't mind. Tomorrow, I'll most likely fire off several 12GA shells into the outdoors from the interior of my 17,000 cubic foot (40'x30'x14') man-cave - it creates a nice boom. I'm happy to celebrate another year on this side of the grass.
Old December 31st, 2023, 04:16 PM

Still daylight here. Started medicating the girl dog already in preparation for the evening noise. Hopefully she’ll be out long enough, but you never know how late some folks will stay up and make noise.
Old December 31st, 2023, 04:28 PM

Results = Negative
Good deal Norm! I'd bet you're right about it being a "bug" of some sort, there's alot of those going on around here.
Old December 31st, 2023, 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good deal Norm!

Old December 31st, 2023, 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Thought you'd enjoy this...

Old December 31st, 2023, 06:07 PM

Been gone for two weeks. Left a light on in a cupboard, it is LED and seemed to be no issue. House powered up fine. Another computer case fan is on the way out; this PC dates from 2018 on this install, and the case dates from 2013. I need to rebuild/refurb.

Spent two weeks in Florida with family. Helped parents and siblings with stuff, mostly my dad. Bricklayer, pipe digger, auto mechanic, varmint sniper, cook, dog entertainer, chauffeur, and audio/visual system technician.

Have had my usual rental ride for the trip, a current year Dodge Charger. Current record for the trip of 841 miles is 11.75 hours. That is 71.5 mph average overall on a route including Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville metro areas and the Monteagle Plateau. Stopped for a total of about 30 min over two **** and sandwich breaks, one planned fuel stop, and one that was needed at the end as I was driving too spiritedly to make it up in two tanks, although I did it going down two weeks ago. Top speed 104, cruised at lower 80s, did pass once on break down lane. A friend thinks I am a slow driver, she just only sees me in 50 year old cars I have to maintain. Rentals are a different ballgame. I recommend Uniden fuzz busters. It was a perfect day for driving, and I had no issues in any metro area or on the mountain. I pretended that Atlanta HOV lanes were only restricted during the week, so I used them heavily.
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:11 PM

I enjoyed reading of your exploits, and was especially amused by one of your Dad’s specializations.

Originally Posted by Koda
dog entertainer
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve never purchased a desktop PC. I’ve always built my own PCs, most operating as network servers.

Sounds like a nice trip, John. Any Indian River citrus brought home?
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:20 PM

Been gone for two weeks. . . . . . Spent two weeks in Florida with family.
John - Glad to have ya back! Glad ya got to spend the Holidays with family. I'm sure they appreciated your help. Cannonball Run on the way down and back, sounds like fun!
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I enjoyed reading of your exploits, and was especially amused by one of your Dad’s specializations.
I’ve never purchased a desktop PC. I’ve always built my own PCs, most operating as network servers.

Sounds like a nice trip, John. Any Indian River citrus brought home?
Oh, these were all mine, Ken. I'll get a picture of the pup here.

Norm, the guts on this one are Asus, Intel, and Nvidia. Case is an old Antec Ultimate Game 3 case. I like it because of the ton of 5.25 bays. I may refurb this.
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:23 PM

Entertaining the dog.

Edit: No citrus, Norm, but got some persimmon pulp.

Thanks, Chris.
Old December 31st, 2023, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

Don’t know whose cabinets I’m using, ASUS MoBos, Seagate SS internal drives, assload of Corsair RAM, 750 W fans, int/ext LAN cards, ext, HDDs, Nvidia 64 bit 32 MB GPU cards, 64 bit W11 OS. I wish I had WiFi on the MoBo, I’ll do that on next MoBo upgrade. Use my own Motorola modem w/ WiFi and configurable firewall which I configure UDP/IP traffic/filters and mask my ext. IP. Of course, my internal LAN is private and unreachable from the public ext IP address.

Persimmon pulp - making your own crusts?
Old December 31st, 2023, 07:03 PM

Entertaining the dog.
Cute pup, what is his/her name and how old? We always had a couple Beagles at our home when I was growing up that we would rabbit hunt under. The last two I remember having were Tom and Jerry, it sure was fun watching them run, great memories with my Dad and Brother!
Old December 31st, 2023, 11:39 PM

Well we made it past 12:00 with minimal canine trauma as the fireworks exploded in the neighborhood. Had the TV volume way up as we watched a few movies, then after the blonde one hit the sack I cranked up 80s and 90s hard rock to drown out the outdoors booms. Drowned out the fireworks for the hounds and brought me back to my comfort zone. Good times.
Old January 1st, 2024, 07:33 AM

Old January 1st, 2024, 07:36 AM

Old January 1st, 2024, 07:45 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That looks absolutely delicious. Are they buttermilk cornbread buns? I don't own a single bread bun baking pan. Does that bread bun baking pan accommodate seven buns?
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:13 AM

Corn bread sticks http://https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pil...%3DPba0Ok9YrHU

Last edited by Jamesbo; January 1st, 2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:35 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Sorry, that URL link you posted is useless.
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:37 AM
Running On Empty

I did find a seven impression (mold) pan though. I never knew they existed...cool.
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:39 AM
Running On Empty

The Pacific Episode:3
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:39 AM

https://southerncastiron.com/classic-cornbread-sticks/
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:14 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I like that recipe.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:24 AM

IMHO IN THE PACIFIC The marines look more like the kid that they were
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
IMHO IN THE PACIFIC The marines look more like the kid that they were
They were definitely young. I guess my Dad was 18. I'm not sure he knew how fortunate he was to have survived as many theater campaigns as he did - he always said "...it was my job". I mean he was all over the place, not only did he begin to disembark troops (USS Anne Arundel) on Omaha Beach on "D-Day" at 0646, but they sent him to Algeria, North Africa, Pearl Harbor, Guam...hell, he was all over the place. Neither of my two brothers can really put any of this in perspective & frankly held zero interest in what he had endured. I have all his decorations, certificates, etc. He was one very, very lucky mother ******.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:59 AM

Chris, that is Isabella, Izzy, or Iz, 4 year old spayed bitch beagle. We joke that Izzy stands for Istheremorechicken? Dog is 100% food motivated, easily distracted, and kind of dumb. On the other hand, she is a sweet, good natured dog. Mom got her for a companion and wanted a classic dog she remembered from her youth, but, she DID get a hound, and hounds care about food and interesting smells, in that order. She's kind of comical in how she stands up to some things, and is petrified of others. She is a tri-color beagle, and the black makes her look better.
Old January 1st, 2024, 01:46 PM

Chris, that is Isabella, Izzy, or Iz, 4 year old spayed bitch beagle. We joke that Izzy stands for Istheremorechicken?
Thanks John, she looks like a sweet pup! I'm sure your Mom doesn't spoil her at all. LoL

Our's must have celebrated a little too much last night!

Old January 1st, 2024, 03:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful first day of the year. I slept in, lollygagged around, went to Awful house, then got my car off the trailer. Took three of us to get it up there, but just me to get it down. Not fun. I'll unhook the trailer tomorrow.

So speaking of Awful house, seems early this morning a customer got in a scuffle with the chef and pulled out a gun and shot him. He must have had trouble with the window, too, because one was broke and had plywood up. The shooter split before the cops got there, but I'm guessing the chef will give him up.

I've decided not to go see that car tomorrow. I already have a dark blue convertible and I could spend money on it instead of yet another mouth to feed. I texted the guy and said I was sorry but I had decided to do something different. He seemed okay, just said thanks for letting me know. So now I have the day off tomorrow. I should do something to make it count.

John is that you in the picture entertaining the dog? She looks rather relaxed. I used to have lists of things to do when I went to Florida. Now there are no lists, because I have a running list that I do every day.

In typical Swan Lake fashion, there were fireworks and guns going off all evening yesterday, and about 5 minutes before midnight it sounded like war was going on for about 20 minutes. I got home around 1230 and some idiot was shooting a rapid fire gun down the street from me, until almost 1. I'm surprised there aren't more people get hit by falling bullets because I know these clowns aren't smart enough to use blanks. The best news is Tiger was unaffected by any of it.

Norm that was enjoyable indeed. Each time I watched it.

Okay I'm late for MASH. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old January 1st, 2024, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

So speaking of Awful house, seems early this morning a customer got in a scuffle with the chef and pulled out a gun and shot him.
Wow, is that Awful House in a sketchy part of town, or is the food just that bad! Seems pretty frickin radical to shoot someone just for poor food or service??? Wondering what the rest of the story is???