The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Anyone need any black walnuts, This is tree #1 I'm predicting a cold winter [judging from the nut crop]

Have a great day Olds friends

Old October 15th, 2020, 08:52 AM

Greg, good to hear that your wife came back negative for covid. We had a confirmation at plant 4 where I work, about a half mile from the plant that I work in, so they are getting intensive with the questioning again when we come in everyday. Jamesbo, at my old house the neighbor had a black walnut tree right against the property line, it got to be a pain in the fall to try and find them in the leaves and chuck them aside for the squirrels before cutting the grass and mulching the leaves. They blended in for this color blind guy, and I wasn't always successful in finding all of them. Gets a bit hard on the blades.
Old October 15th, 2020, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful again today. Love it. Just like fall...

Work was good. Sounds like it will be better tomorrow. My friend is flying in and staying with me over the weekend and we're going to work on the Corvair, so I can take it to the Corvair show in Daytona Beach next month. Hopefully we can get a couple other projects done as well.

Greg I'm glad your wife doesn't have the croup. Hope whatever it is she gets over it quick.

Jamesbo I took a bunch of acorns down to my Mom's when she lived in Avon Park(Florida) and the squirrels didn't know what they were, and didn't want anything to do with them. Odd.I wouldn't want one of those walnuts to fall on my head.

Went out to the car this afternoon with my new grommet, which was quite a bit softer than the others. It came with an installation kit. I was able to pop the grommet in with my fingers, no need for the installation thing or plyers, and it took literally two seconds. Popped the cable back on the shifter and all is well. The battery is still dead and that's one of the things I want to take care of this weekend. Makes me feel like a dumbass messing with those other kits for so long. Well, now we know.

Okay almost ready for company. Tiger likes this guy so we're golden. A couple more things to get ready, and then hit the sack. It's been a long week.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old October 15th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Glad you got it, Mike!
Old October 15th, 2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Beautiful again today. Love it. Just like fall...

Work was good. Sounds like it will be better tomorrow. My friend is flying in and staying with me over the weekend and we're going to work on the Corvair, so I can take it to the Corvair show in Daytona Beach next month. Hopefully we can get a couple other projects done

Went out to the car this afternoon with my new grommet, which was quite a bit softer than the others. It came with an installation kit. I was able to pop the grommet in with my fingers, no need for the installation thing or plyers, and it took literally two seconds. Popped the cable back on the shifter and all is well. The battery is still dead and that's one of the things I want to take care of this weekend. Makes me feel like a dumbass messing with those other kits for so long. Well, now we

Have a good evening everyone.
Mike - Glad you were able to get the Saturn fixed! My Dad used to have a 4-door Corsair for a few years. Ralph Nader was not wrong when he made a huge stink (no pun intended) about the exhaust fumes being a danger. We always had to have the windows down an inch or two just to be able to stand it in the damn thing. The only saving grace was it went well in the snow during those Michigan winters. I don't know if all the automatics were like this, but I remember the shift lever being on the dash!
Old October 15th, 2020, 07:44 PM

Hey Mike, what year and model Corvair do you have?

The first car I ever drove was my Mom's 1967 4 door Corvair. I had such plans for that car, but being a 14 year old with no resources none of those grandiose plans ever cam to fruition (no surprise).
Old October 16th, 2020, 01:11 AM

I know it's not as thrilling as Hump day But today is :Food Friday: and sum'in flung a crav'in on me for shrimp and sausage Jambalaya

Old October 16th, 2020, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I know it's not as thrilling as Hump day But today is :Food Friday: and sum'in flung a crav'in on me for shrimp and sausage Jambalaya

James - Damn, that looks so good, set another plate!!!
Old October 16th, 2020, 04:16 AM

Since Norm is on a sabbatical

Does anyone else know how to change pics wording? I saw this pic in another thread and since I've never had an Alero, I need it change to 442. I see [hopefully] a poster in my future
Old October 16th, 2020, 05:22 AM

Good morning guys,
Brrrrrrr! 30-degrees and a heavy frost at 0700. Way too cold, way too early for this neck of the woods. Hope everyone has a great day!

Old October 16th, 2020, 07:16 AM

Never mind I got a kid [ of course] at the golf club to do it in about 15 seconds. Here for all my olds friends to keep
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:42 AM

Well, It looks like I'm gonna have to keep dis thread alive

Beef Bourguignon

Warm de tummy

Old October 17th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Wow Chris, it looks like it is colder in St Louis than up here! I haven't seen hard frost here yet, there has been some frosty roofs though. Wife is feeling better and made some Chili today- man it is good on a cold rainy autumn day. Yep it has beans in it, that's the way I've always had it though it may be not really "Chili" - sure tastes good!! Got boats put away in barn- ugh that does suck, but it was a beautiful summer here. See Ya's!
Old October 17th, 2020, 02:27 PM

We had another 100+ day yesterday, which brings the total for this year to 145. Supposed to be in the mid-upper 90s all next week, though.
Old October 17th, 2020, 04:47 PM

Hi guys,
Went to what I'm sure was my last hurrah car show today from 0900 - 1430. It was pretty out, sunny and 70, but pretty windy. It was at a huge church about 25-miles from me. Big turn out, lots of entrants and spectators. The church parking lot was so huge they had enough space to have cars parked in every other space in most cases which was nice. They only had 2 car classes, pre-1980 and 1980 and up. I couldn't believe it when I actually placed 3rd, got a tiny trophy and $50. Here's some pics:

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 17th, 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

James - The kid forgot the question mark & I reduced the black & background.

Old October 17th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

That is identical to the jambalaya I make. It takes me 2+ hours to make the roux. Is that a picture of the jambalaya you made or a canned internet picture?

Old October 17th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Congratulations on the trophy & gas money. That is a nice '67 4-4-2. Nice pictures, for sure.
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Rogers;1287118]Wow Chris, it looks like it is colder in St Louis than up here! /QUOTE]
Greg - Yes, just plain cold all day yesterday. It was still pretty chilly this morning when I headed out for the show, but about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday morning. My sister in Battle Creek just posted some pics of heavy snow falling in the UP, I think she said around Houghton. Yuk, unless you have snowmobiles or are a skier.
Old October 17th, 2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Congratulations on the trophy & gas money. That is a nice '67 4-4-2. Nice pictures, for sure.
Thanks Norm, sincerely appreciate the congrats and compliment on the car.
Old October 17th, 2020, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the pictures, I'm getting a kick out of seeing folks wearing long pants and jackets. Good to know it's fall somewhere out there in the world.
Old October 17th, 2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Thanks for the pictures, I'm getting a kick out of seeing folks wearing long pants and jackets. Good to know it's fall somewhere out there in the world.
Kenneth - You're welcome for the pics. It was 41 when I headed out for the show at 0830 this morning. What was worse was there was a steady 20 mph wind, with higher gusts. It was just plain cold for the first couple of hours. Luckily I took enough clothes and was able to be comfortable.
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Worked on the Corvair all day long. The project was to replace transmission mounts. Thought it would be a fairly straight forward job, nope. Got one old one out and the other one loose, but can't get it out of the crossmember. My friend did some a long time ago and he couldn't remember if he had to take other things apart. I can't find my assembly manual so about 830 we finally called it a day. Working by flashlight is not a great idea. He's going home tomorrow so the job will remain unfinished.

We're going to back out of the Corvair show and instead I'm going to his house and help him organize his shop and tools. I didn't have a good time at the show last year, and even though he and his wife were going to be there this year, there wouldn't be a lot for us. So there goes my one show this year. The car won't be ready and the last time I went to that show with a non-Corvair I got so tired of the little snide remarks. So the hell with them.

Chris looks like a nice show. Congratulation on placing. Actually if it were a horse race you would have showed. The jambalaya looks awesome. Norm I don't think the question mark is required, merely optional. Makes sense both ways to me.

Okay I'm beat. Off to bed. Hope everyone had a good day.

Old October 17th, 2020, 11:08 PM

Chris, nice car and congrats on the prizes. There is a Chrysler dealership about 40 miles south of me, that has been family owned for several decades, they have a collection of Mopars, and one of them is a 440 barracuda like the one that you took a pic of. Same color combo. They took it to Purestock a few times, but I don't remember what times that it ran. Thursday morning, they had snow in the U.P. in Marquette. It later turned to rain.

Last edited by 1969w3155; October 17th, 2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old October 18th, 2020, 03:29 AM

Chris, Nice pics. Thanks for posting. Now could I borrow 25 bucks until Tuesday

Mike, I'm a mite confused [what's new?] I thought you have a Corvair with a V-8 in it

Norm, Stock pic [but looks like mine] My arm would fall off If I stirred Roux for 2 hours Why so Long?

Just to give you a chuckle, My phone was in selfie mode and I couldn't figure out how to change it. I went to Tractor supply to get sum new lynch pins for my Tractor and axed a kid stocking shelves of dog food for sum help and Voila

I'm old and blind and deaf

About the only thing I'm capable of is picking up walnuts

stock lynch pin pic
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:15 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You'd think an R&R of transmission cross-member bolts would be a simple deal - what a bummer. I see your point, I doubt the question mark is really needed. You should post a list of every vehicle in your inventory along with each vehicle's status. It's hard figuring out what vehicle you're talking about and what's in each one.

James - I'm not completely sure why it takes me 2+ hours to make my roux. Part of it I suppose is mental, but I've always used the raw juice (au jus) of the meats as base for any roux I've ever made - in particular jambalaya. There are several methods to do this - one of the easiest is to take some of the meat (crayfish, shrimp, flounder, sausage, venison, etc.) run it through a blender until it's a paste, then press the meat through a cheesecloth to capture the au jus. It certainly rivals other types of roux.

Regarding chili. I always thought the original chili was made with nothing more than beans. Beans have their origin in Central & South America, much like the original Maze (corn) called Teosinte. My own suspicion is chili originally contained only beans (plus other stuff like tomatoes, green peppers, etc.). It's surprising to note both tomatoes and peppers originated in Central & South America, as well. My suspicion on origin is based on the notion chili-con-carne is named specifically as chili with meat. Why else name something chili-con-carne if the origin was anything other than chili? Even chili-sin-carne implies a chili without meat. In any case, I make my chili with beans & meat (preferably venison), but I do love the way the Texans make their stringy all beef meat chili, also. To me, it's more like a stew than a chili.
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Good morning Olds friends,

Mike, Dan, and James - Thanks for the compliments on my car, and the congrats on placing. With all the Covid cancelations this summer it was only my 3rd judged show. In each of the first two shows I was in a class of Stock 1960 - 1969 cars and didn't place at either. In yesterday's show I was in a class of all cars pre-1980. With that being the case, I didn't think there'd be a chance in hell of placing. I was completely and utterly surprised! In any case, that's not why I go. I go for the camaraderie of talking with other enthusiasts about their cars and mine. One of my favorite myths I have to debunk at shows or cruise-ins, is when someone tells me my car can't be a "real 442" because it doesn't have a 4-speed manual transmission. I've gotten that at least once at every event I've been to.

No big plans for today, unless momma has plans for me that I don’t know about yet??? Probably just watch a little football if there are any games on that I'm interested in, and spend some time playing with our dogs. This is the time of year when our bulldogs actually can go out and play in the backyard without overheating.

Hope everone has a great day, and coming week!
Old October 18th, 2020, 07:01 AM

Norm, The fancy smancy restaurant the Super Model werks at [ in the vernacular[ makes steak paint they brush on the steaks when the come off the grill/broiler out of au jus with a little garlic salt added Me, I like the hotel d' maître butter
Old October 18th, 2020, 07:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well, I thought I had sent off my friend. We got up early, went to the airport, and I dropped him off and was headed to the Awful house. He called and said they wouldn't let him check in. His ID didn't match his flight information. His name "was" Kenneth Randy, and in typical southern fashion went by Randy. But his mother, for whatever reason, gave the name Randy for his Social Security card. Now that he's getting ready to file for SS, they said he had to change his name so it's officially Randy, and drop the Kenneth all together. So when I set up the buddy pass it automatically went to Kenneth, since that what it was before. When he flew out of his tiny airport in the middle of nowhere they didn't put much thought into it, but here in the big city... So I came home to set up a whole new pass and since he missed his other flight his new flight is at 330. I'm going to go back up there and pick him up and we'll do lunch or something. Ah well, drama and more drama. So much for getting anything done today. Eh, I don't mind. We can hash over more ideas as to what will get the car fixed.

Norm, I'll give you the cliff notes of the fleet. Dogmobile runs great, needs AC fixed. Truck runs great, needs rear brakes. Everything else, toast.

Kenneth the Corvair is a 65 Corsa convertible. Hasn't had the best of maintenance over the years but it runs like a champ. Needs paint, needs interior, but first I need to figure out where water pours in behind the dash when it rains. Other Corvairs that I have are a 65 Corsa with a mid engine V8 and big car Powerglide, a 66 Corsa coupe that was a turbo and now is a single 4bbl 140, and a 67 4 door 110 automatic. Also a 66 Corsa coupe that was smashed flat by a tree, and the cab of a 61 Rampside.

Alright it's back up to the airport I go. Been waiting for Tiger to come back in. He won't be happy that I'm leaving again, wish I could take him with me. Hm, no reason I can't. Okay see you guys later.

Old October 18th, 2020, 07:47 AM
Running On Empty

James - Steak Paint or Head Waiter butter both sound good to me!

Y’all are seeding my brain. I believe I see numerous cooking events developing in the near future. It may be time for me to put on a couple pounds of winter lard on my bones. That cobbler Kenneth spoke of somewhere above is high in the agenda. I love homemade cobbler with a scoop of rich vanilla ice cream. OMG
Old October 18th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Donation address for bitcoin to this forum?

Hello.
I've spent a few years here with my 70 442(now sold
Thanks to everyone here I sold it without having to troll all over the internet and lamestream social media.
I would like to donate to this website/forum but can't find a link to such.
Namely who would be the owner/leader. I am sure someone can reply with such info or post a BITCOIN address one can donate to officially support classicoldsmobile.com.

Anyone else here that doesn't know about bitcoin, learn it before you invest and Don't get fooled into the other thousands of crypto projects out there. HODL

Cheers!
Old October 18th, 2020, 12:23 PM

Jamesbo any nice sunny but cold photos you could add while I am scrolling p798
Old October 18th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
and a 67 4 door 110 automatic.
That's what Mom had, except it was a three speed manual trans, bench seat up front.

Norm, if it took everyone 2+ hours to make a roux, Cajuns would give up cooking. I make both wet and dry roux and I doubt it ever took more than 30 minutes, and that was when I was making a bunch of dry roux for stocking the pantry. If I have jars of dry roux on hand, I can get a pot of gumbo going in no time.

Talking about this is making me hungry for some crawfish etouffee.
Old October 18th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

My friend finally got back home. I went and picked him up, went to Malone's for lunch, then I dropped him back. He made the second flight no problem and then texted me when he was on his way home. I said if that didn't work I'd call in to work tomorrow and drive him home. He said really that's funny, he was going to rent a car and drive home himself. Glad neither one of those had to happen.

Kenneth your mom's car was probably a 500. Although some Monza's had a bench seat. Mine is a Monza, bucket seats and air conditioning. Pretty fancy for an entry level car.

AH, are you simply asking how you can make a donation to the site with your crypto-currency, or is that a thinly disguised advertisement for the crypto-currency? Either way you could probably contact the site administrators by clicking the Contact Us button at the bottom of the screen. I'm originally from the Quad Cities, Moline to be exact.

What's with the big advertisement under the last post on the page? IB suddenly running out of money?

Okay time to wind down for the evening. Hope the week starts out good for everyone.

Old October 18th, 2020, 03:31 PM

Kenneth,

All this talk about cooking flug a crav'in on me fer sum BBQ shrimp a la Paschal Manales in "The Big Easy' throw out the shrimp [jes kidding] an jes sop the French

bread ins the au jus [read butter]
Old October 18th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

All donations can be made directly to my bank routing number. Please send PM if interested.
Old October 18th, 2020, 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

I'm not sure how anyone else is fairing on the Internet but this weekend has been chaos for Internet service - constantly up & down the entire weekend - very, very annoying. I suspect it's the result of overloading the network (Internet) routing servers & digital cross connects. Every large metropolitan city has a SONET ring and many have two SONET rings with double redundancy, but with so many students and businesses working remotely and from home, it's doubtful the servers can handle this much traffic.
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Hi guys,
Many of you guys who regularly respond to this thread seem to have a pretty substantial knowledge of automotive mechanics. The 400ci motor in my 67 442 has a pretty aggressive cam in it for a street motor, to the point where it was necessary to add a vacuum collector to operate the front disc brakes that were added. My question is, does available vacumn affect idle speed? My car idles pretty rough when first started, but seems to be just right after it warms up to around 120 degrees or so. I'm wondering if the cold idle issue is a function of vacuum needing to build up in the collector, or simply just the car being cold natured combined with the aggressive cam? The car has a Mallory HEI ignition and Holley 800cfm carb. Here are the cam specs in case it helps you answer the question:
- .496 intake lift / .520 exhaust lift
- 300 degrees advertised intake duration / 310 degrees advertised exhaust duration
- 224 degrees intake duration @ .050 / 234 degrees exhaust duration @ .050
- 112 degrees lobe separation
Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions.
Chris
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm not sure how anyone else is fairing on the Internet but this weekend has been chaos for Internet service - constantly up & down the entire weekend - very, very annoying. I suspect it's the result of overloading the network (Internet) routing servers & digital cross connects. Every large metropolitan city has a SONET ring and many have two SONET rings with double redundancy, but with so many students and businesses working remotely and from home, it's doubtful the servers can handle this much traffic.
Norm - We have Spectrum (the old Charter) internet. We started experiencing slower speeds and intermittent outages about the time when schools were starting back, so I think what you're saying is a totally plausible theory.
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

Yes available vacuum affects idle. You should adjust your Holley carb A/F mixture for the highest achievable vacuum using a vacuum gauge. Whatever you get will be the highest achievable. It could be as high as 20”Hg or as high as 14”Hg. My suggestion is to ensure your vacuum is adjusted to the highest available vacuum you can achieve by making the appropriate adjustments to your A/F mixture.