The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2020, 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

Greg, as Dan suggested if you are in a completely metal building, FM reception can be an issue & you may need to run a wire outdoors.
With regard to your antenna though. If you only have one wire coming out of the antenna port (or whatever you wish to call it) from the radio that is fine. The point here is you need to fashion the antenna into the letter "T".

This can easily be accomplished by taking another piece of wire and splicing the current wire into the middle of the new wire to form the letter "T".

The point here is this. To catch (filter or trap) FM signal, you need to capture the greatest number of waves per unit time (frequency) not the amplitude of the wave. Amplitude being the height of the wave & Frequency being the number of waves per unit time.
AM = Amplitude Modulation; FM = Frequency Modulation

AM is simple to trap/filter because it's only interested in the height (size) of the wave regardless of the number of waves per unit time (frequency).
FM is more difficult because you want to capture the greatest number of waves per unit of time. To do this, a long horizontally tethered wire is appropriate to capture FM waves.

Additionally, AM signal transmits in the MHz range while FM signal transmits in the KHz range (less than AM). But AM signal travels all around objects, while FM signal is primarily line-of-sight. Generally, FM signal does not travel as far as AM signal. There are 10,000 Khz in 1 Mhz.

Make the new single wire as long as you possibly can achieve. This will allow you to capture the greatest number of waves per unit of time (frequency). Do not allow either the new single wire or the current single wire to contact any metal and do not place this new "antenna" on the side of a metal building. It will negate the effect of capturing FM signals. Keep it as far away as possible from your metal building (if you have in fact a metal building). For some reason I thought you had a wooden pole barn. At any rate, you still might be able to capture the FM signal inside your building. If not, perform the exact same operation anywhere outside of the building - i.e. create a wooden "cross" and tack the FM antenna to the wooden "cross".

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 26th, 2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old February 26th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Carbon copy day today. Was nice for a little while but then got cloudy, now the sun is out but it's windy and cold. Good night to crank up the stove.

Went to the eye doctor after work. Now I can't see $hit. Puffs of air in my eyes, lights coming from every which

way, and she dilated my eyes. Okay now off you go! Glad I don't go there very often.

Norm that's a lot of science. Greg does the radio have a disc player or something in it? Just play recorded music.

I must be losing my touch. Two cars I'm interested in are seemingly out of reach. The first is a Valiant in Ohio. The guy is driving through Tennessee to pick up a new car, and I asked if he'd bring the Valiant and I'd meet him. I was going to send him the money. Well I forgot and now it's too late and he's not bringing the car and I won't be home next weekend and then I'll be on vacation. Second is a Cadillac in Florida. Answered a craigslist ad, guy gets right back to me and says he'll send more pictures. He doesn't do it, I email to remind him and ask a question, never hear from him again. He starts a new ad with a number to text. I text him, nothing. WTH. He keeps updating his ad so he hasn't sold it, what a loon.

Okay time to wind down. We are now over the hump. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 26th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...what a loon.

Old February 26th, 2020, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

39/43 It was 70°F today, slight drizzle in the morning for ~45', drizzle stopped, the entire course was fogged-in. Couldn't even see the 18th green from the fairway over the marsh. So, I hit a provisional. Turned out my ball was in fact on the green ~20' from the pin.
Old February 26th, 2020, 04:50 PM

The barn is painted wood and the lean to on it is covered in pole barn steel, then the whole roof is steel- so lots of steel there, for sure. I will try making the tee. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2020, 11:05 PM

Damn it Jamesbo, I had the chimp/penguin joke in my head at work today. Chuckled to myself a bit, I don't think anyone noticed, or they thought that I might be a bit off, and decided to steer clear.
Old February 27th, 2020, 01:25 AM

I think Mike may have replaced the chimp/seal joke with Miss Brewer. He;s flexible like that

Hit a few range ***** yesterday jes ta see if I remembered how ta do it

Was gonna try to play today but the wind is howling and it;s in the mid 30's

Speaking of Loons, Does anyone beside me have something that everyone one gives them .Like when a friend or family member is in a gift shop and they see one they think of you and buy it as a gift. For me it's bears, for my cousin it's loons, for another friend it's John Deere Tractors, Pretty soon ya can't move for all the crap people think you;re in love with

Spose ta have lunch with sum high school friends today

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 27th, 2020, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I think Mike may have replaced the chimp/seal joke with Miss Brewer. He;s flexible like that

Hit a few range ***** yesterday jes ta see if I remembered how ta do it

Was gonna try to play today but the wind is howling and it;s in the mid 30's

Speaking of Loons, Does anyone beside me have something that everyone one gives them .Like when a friend or family member is in a gift shop and they s ewe one they think of you and buy it as a gift. For me it's bears, for my cousin it's loons, for another friend it's John Deere Tractors, Pretty soon ya can't move for all the crap people think you;re in love with

Spose ta have lunch with sum high school friends today

Yeah, ya gotta be careful what you say around friends and family. My buddies wife sort of liked pig dodads that would go on a shelf or such. Soon all her friends got her pig stuff at garage sales flea markets,etc. Wife and I like loons figurines cuz we live on a lake. I really love the real ones- love their calls they make in the middle of the night. Oh geez, I hope spring gets here soon... sigh....
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:36 AM

My sister collects cow figurines, me, just dust. Gotta move around more.
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:42 AM
Running On Empty

My mother was a garage sale junky. Some of the things she'd collect were mind boggling. We had several sheds stuffed w/ garage sale "finds". Dad used to say how we would soon have another garage sale of our own to sell the garage sale "finds" our Mom was collecting. It's a never-ending battle.

Although, I suspect the same can be said regarding men & our propensity to collect/save items which will never see the light-of-day.
Old February 27th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another copy/paste day at work. My wall guy left at 1230 so I didn't do anything until 2 when we left. It was kind of nice.

Sunny here but cold. Nothing to do this afternoon so I'll just hang out. Maybe start the stove early.

I paid off the dogmobile a couple weeks ago, and got the title in the mail. Also got a refund check from the bank since they gave me an extended payout and apparently they got my check before the end of it. My refund? $1.44 It probably cost them more to generate the check, and it will certainly cost me more to drive to the CU. Well, I'm done with those clowns.

My Mom did the garage sale thing for years. But she didn't collect doo-dads, it was stuff we actually used. I got a lot of my clothes and toys from garage sales, stuff for the house, whatever. We weren't poor, but my Mom is endlessly "frugal." Garage Sale-ing can be quite the science.

Jamesbo nothing can replace the chimp joke. But, Liz Brewer makes for an excellent supplement.

Okay gonna go do nothing. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 28th, 2020, 06:10 AM

Headed norte,

Before I could get out the door a family called [ better than when I'm on the road]

so I'm headed norte draftee I meet wit this family't

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old February 28th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow yet again today, but unbeknownst to me we had a reduced number, and all of a sudden we were done. Can't beat that. Awful house was quiet for a change when I got there.

Dogmobile and Aura both need the oil changed, and the Aura needs the trans fluid changed. Got a couple errands to run so I'll pick up all the stuff and have at it tomorrow.

It was sunny out when I left work but now it's cloudy. The sun made it seem not so cold. Now it's just windy. I think my big boy pants are in the laundry.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Really gotta make this one count, it's the last one to myself for quite awhile.

Old February 29th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Always room for one more

Wow busy day for everyone.

Changed oil in two cars today and spent about 5 minutes looking the 57's brake lines. It was late and I just didn't feel like messing with them. I'm pleased about the oil changes.

Beautiful here, but windy. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow then rain Monday.

The wood I've been trying to burn the last three nights just won't catch. It must have been soaked in fire-be-gone. I've been tempted in the past to use lighter fluid on the firewood but I've read that's a big no-no. Also I can't use Presto Logs. Don't know why.

Okay gonna pop something in the machine and veg out in front of the TV. Haven't done that in a while. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Old March 1st, 2020, 05:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hello? Is this thing on?

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Work starts tomorrow.

Old March 1st, 2020, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:10 AM

As usual came home to meet 2 families

I need to leave town more often.It's good for business

Rain again so no golf

I need to find another day to play Monday ain't working out so good\

Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:15 AM
Running On Empty

Tee time 11:00am.

Super Tuesday for me tomorrow.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:18 AM

Yeah, not a lot of conversation lately... All is well here. Haven't done much in barn lately- been pretty cold. Actually yesterday was a nice day in the 40's and sunny. Wife and I took at ride up to Houghton Lake going the back way, using "unmaintained" roads- they are small county roads that are a little better than 2 tracks but aren't plowed in the winter. Kinda fun- very muddy yesterday as the snow was melting. Saw a strange site when we came around a bend. There was a dog running down the road towards us with a pickup truck about 30' behind the dog. We pulled over and let them by. It was like the guy in the truck was taking his dog for a walk with his truck! The dog was used to it and it was similar to how a dog goes ahead of his people when going for a walk without a leash. Only this walk was a run.
-- Wife and I been going up to the township hall which has a Gymnasium and walking around the gym for excercise about 3-5 times a week. Today our neighbors are going to go and will pick us up at 9. I HATE it! It's so boring but I can feel it is good for us and we feel better. I walk what I feel is a rapid pace for 40 laps. I think that is about 2 miles. Been doing it for about 3 months now and I guess it is getting a little easier but still sucks. OK have a good one guys!!
Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Pretty heavy rain this evening. Funny, it started out sunny this morning then went down hill quick. But, we're in a drought...

It seems sitting at a desk in a shop is a safety-sensitive position. Got called for a drug test today. And at 730am I'm getting the company's version of a breathalyzer test. Really 730? Good thing I didn't have a 5th of Jack for my breakfast. Sheesh. After 26 years of having drug tests that came back negative, I wonder why they waste their money on me anymore. Am I going to start having a problem after all this time?

Greg I used to walk 4 miles every day. I walked around the lake so there was always something to see. I eventually stopped because without any sidewalks, a pedestrian is a target. I've had things thrown at me, people pretend they're going to swerve and hit me, people laying on their horns as they pass, I finally had enough but now I'm fat again.

Lead is on vacation so guess what. Everyone slowed down to a crawl. Didn't come close to finishing. I expect the same every day this week. My wall guy turned out what we needed. Going in an hour early tomorrow, not sure if it's to clean up for today or to get a jump.

Well have a good evening everyone. I'm hitting the sack. Stove is not cooperating, I'm out.

Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

I played like hammered whale $HIT today.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

I was just assigned to work the #1 Handicap Hole (#8) @ The RBC Heritage. I'm working the fairway landing zone, Th, F & Sunday's final round - each day 01:00 PM - 07:00 PM.

http://media.islandpacket.com/static...ide/hole8.html
Old March 3rd, 2020, 03:14 AM

More rain

Gotta try and mark a grave [for digging] between shower

Mike, Glad ya passed again. One would think they would know you better by now

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I was just assigned to work the #1 Handicap Hole (#8) @ The RBC Heritage. I'm working the fairway landing zone, Th, F & Sunday's final round - each day 01:00 PM - 07:00 PM.

http://media.islandpacket.com/static...ide/hole8.html

I think Pete Dye must have alot of stock in railroad tie company. I've played a few of his courses [Harbor Town and Atlanta national] and think they need to add sum windmills to the other goofy stuff he builds

Old March 3rd, 2020, 03:24 AM
Running On Empty

Time for me to hit the voting poll. Super Tuesday Baby!
Old March 3rd, 2020, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Time for me to hit the voting poll. Super Tuesday Baby!
Yes, Vote early and often

Old March 3rd, 2020, 03:57 AM
Running On Empty

Yes, Vote early and often
Done! Voting Poll is 1/2 mile from my home.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 03:59 AM
Running On Empty

Old March 3rd, 2020, 04:16 AM
Running On Empty

I think Pete Dye must have alot of stock in railroad tie company. I've played a few of his courses [Harbor Town and Atlanta national] and think they need to add sum windmills to the other goofy stuff he builds.
Does Mike buy direct from Pete? Of course, Pete passed away in January, but Mike may have stockpiled.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 04:23 AM

Haven't been to Harbor Town in a while but Atlanta National has enough rotten ties to keep Mike's entire neighborhood warm and polluted
Old March 3rd, 2020, 01:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Must have rained like the dickens during the day but it was (almost) dry and warm when we walked out. Finished up around break this afternoon then sat around for an hour.

I only had the one railroad tie and Greg and Dan shamed me into not using all of it. I can only imagine how smoked up the neighborhood would be if I burned a new one.

Norm what's with the squirrel shot in your mouth? Is that a bowl or a lamp shade on your head? Just feeling funky?

I fired up the air compressor when I got home and put air in all the tires that were low. That was a lot of tires. That's my work for the day. I was going to take Tiger to get his shots but I think I'll wait until tomorrow so better people are working at the Awful house.

Time for the evening meal. Even though it isn't evening yet. I was tired all day because I didn't sleep well, again, and got up an hour early. I'll be in bed early for sure tonight.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 3rd, 2020, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - This state has been guilty of gerrymandering for a very long time. Finally, in December, 2019 new (hopefully equitable) boundaries were established by a three-judge panel. I haven't done a due-diligence deep-dive as I probably should if I intended to follow this landscape more thoroughly - but the state has been guilty for a very long time. The squirrel shot is nothing more than my defiance of the good-old boy network having established political favoritism for one party versus the other.

The object is a colander.
Old March 4th, 2020, 05:50 AM

More rain

Ark is coming along nicely

Old March 4th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

More rain

Ark is coming along nicely

Be careful of those you allow on-board.
Old March 4th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Running On Empty

Mar 8, 2020 - Daylight Saving Time Starts

Old March 4th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold and rainy. I'd be excited about Daylight Saving Time but that just means it will be raining an hour later. I think we should change our clocks once a month so it's always light out at 9pm.

So Norm what does the colander represent? It looks a little Doc Brown-ish. Do you know what this means? It means that this damn thing doesn't work at all!

Took Tiger to get a couple shots today. Boy all they see when I walk in the door is dollar signs. I must be on the upper tier of the price list. Then we went to Awful house. I'll go there if I have to go out during the week but Tiger rarely goes. But he was a good boy so I told him we'd go.

Gas is below $2. Like .001 cents but hey it is for sure. I know it won't last long, there must be some law that says the oil companies are required to milk the hell out of us. I filled up the dogmobile so at least that's one thing done for our trip this weekend. At any time the price will go up about a quarter, last time it was below 2 bucks it was there about three days.

Okay time to start winding down for the evening. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.

Old March 4th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You're brilliant! It is indeed - Back To The Future with this ridiculous gerrymandering which doesn't work.
Old March 4th, 2020, 10:02 PM

"Mar 8, 2020 - Daylight Saving Time Starts" And we lose an hours sleep.

Old March 5th, 2020, 03:37 AM

More rain, We havem[t had 4 day w/o rain sinice December
Mike Did you see these kids blocking I 285/

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/wild-video-shows-drivers-doing-donuts-i-285-shutting-down-traffic/4DBJZWE6JFDHJDNBZIY3JLCHOE/

The "official' city rain gauge says 25 inches of rain in 2020

Old March 5th, 2020, 08:12 AM

I see I passed thru atlanta a month early.
Old March 5th, 2020, 09:47 AM