The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2020, 04:48 AM

James and Mike, Did you guys get the 4" of snow? Saw it on the news. We live basically in the country and really always have. A couple years ago we drove to Florida and of course went thru(around) Atlanta. We left Florida on the way back in 2 cars (my son drives 84- 9 miles over - I drive 70) all we worried about/planned for was when we would go thru Atlanta. Wife and I went thru about 10 am- drove about 35-55 only came to a complete stop once. Can't remember when they went thru. Anyway that is some city! If you go thru at a high traffic time you will pay for it! So it pays to plan for it.
-- Where is everyone?? I guess we lost Allan? Jouni? I enjoy just hearing about what's up with you guys and sometimes venting about things cuz I know you guys won't tell! Well, have a good day, Olds Friends!
Old February 9th, 2020, 05:10 AM
Running On Empty

All buildings of any type are built on top of the soil here in Carteret County, NC. The soil (nearly 100% fine sand loam, zero slope, 1' - 8' above MSL, extremely poor drainage, acidic, very hard water >11.5) is saturated w/ water at a depth of ~2' below surface. If you built a building >2' below ground surface, it would pop out of the soil like a cork in water. Albeit, no basements or sump pumps.
Old February 9th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Here are sum driving tips for your next trip thru Atlanta

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comme...ve_in_atlanta/

https://www.wsbradio.com/rf/image_md...to.2936526.jpg
Old February 9th, 2020, 07:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cold but the sun is trying to come out. No we didn't get snow on the south side. I don't think it actually got cold enough to snow. Fine by me.

Might mess with a couple light maintenance things on the cars today. I've had the truck at the house all weekend, and haven't done a thing with it. So I'll go swap back out for the car so I'm ready for work tomorrow.

Jamesbo I'm patently against the self checkout anywhere. The price doesn't go down for them not doing as much, and they're not paying me to do their job. I need to do a better job of choosing what time I go in there.

Okay gotta do something. Have a good day everyone.

Old February 9th, 2020, 07:45 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The best time to shop @ WalMart is 3:00 AM.

53F today, 72F tomorrow - very mild winter, thus far.

What an awesome time to be piloting a Boeing 747-436 into a 260 mph jet stream @ 35K feet heading to the UK. Ride it baby!
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Can any of you sump pimp experts tell me what the 3/16" holes is for
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Running On Empty

James - I can only assume it's an atmospheric inlet. Since it's in the drain pipe, you'd want to have a minimum of 1 atmosphere of pressure w/in the drain pipe to ensure movement of the fluid contents in the drain pipe - much like a storm/sewer line from a drain contained w/in a home except you're not installing a vent, per se. Actually, a vent is a misnomer here but that's what most would call it. It's actually an inlet to allow 1 atmosphere of pressure w/in the line.

EDIT: In addition, the fact they want the hole level w/ the top of the pump indicates the pressure needs to be above the top level of the pump. This will assist/ensure the contents of the drain pipe moves. For obvious reasons you wouldn't want the hole below the top level of the pump.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 9th, 2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:23 AM
Running On Empty

Personally, I think they both do a modestly poor job of the reasoning. It's whatever you care to call it - but it provides one atmosphere of pressure to (1) prevent an air lock and (2) move the contents (under one atmosphere of pressure) out the drainage pipe.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 9th, 2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Can any of you sump pimp experts tell me what the 3/8" holes is for
James - It's OK I've been called worse than a pimp.
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:55 AM

Well I drilled it. Seems to me. It's going to pump water back into the well
Old February 9th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

I think what it's actually going to do is equalize the pressure if I understand it correctly. I may have provided an inaccurate picture of the one atmosphere of pressure in my previous post. Since it is not a system free from air (e.g. the propeller propels the water, yes, but the 'system' is not free from air - therefore, the propeller is actually pushing air and liquid into the drainage pipe). If it were completely void of air entering the system, perhaps the hole would be of no benefit. I kind of liken it to the propeller on a boat. If you were to back up the boat really fast, then attempt to go forward really fast - you'd experience a dead zone - a zone void of water which was instead replaced with air from the propeller. Since the intention is to move a liquid (water in this case) rather than air, you need to evacuate the air in order to move the liquid medium. If you were sitting in a boat with the propeller spinning in air, you'd get no water cooling the engine although the propeller is spinning like a champ.
Old February 9th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Well, The snow is gone [ melted] and rain on the way tomorrow.

No smacking whitey tomorrow.

Me thinks I'll get Mr. Helper to bust up some concrete in the basement floor to make a deeper well..I've already done the hard part. He just need to get the chunks I left out and dig down enough to add a 5 gallon bucket.I can make a sloping cement patch around it and toss the new sump pump in the bucket. I've already cut the new pipe [with new check valve ] and mocked up the whole thing.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 10th, 2020, 06:58 AM

Sooooooooooooo, Mr. Helper axed "What we gonna do today [before he arrived via text]

I said." I got a new pump"

I neglected to add we gotta bust up concrete with a sledge hammer

I'm well schooled in management

Old February 10th, 2020, 04:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cows and flat rocks. That's what we have here. Even got a little thunder earlier. Friday is supposed to be nice. And it's almost Friday...

Jamesbo how did Mr. Helper like your job today of busting up concrete? Was he pleasantly surprised that you held that bit of information until he arrived? I don't mind busting up concrete. Sort of like chopping wood, I find it very therapeutic.

Norm I thought you made up that whole spiel about the 747 until I heard on the news this morning a British 747 just set a record of flying from New York to the UK, and indeed British's customer number with Boeing is 36. But wouldn't he be going with the Jetstream instead of going into it, since he was going east?

Work was slow, we finished up after 2. I suspect it will be that way all week. The lead comes to me today and says he's not going to be there Wednesday, so I'm in charge. I said, you know no one is going to listen to me. He said yes they will. I suspect it will be a day full of problems. I asked him if I could fire anybody. Nope.

Okay trying to nurse this fire along, not having a lot of luck. I may just go to bed. Hope the week started good for everyone.

Old February 10th, 2020, 05:48 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I guess it depends on your perspective. You'd never want to be going 'into' a jet stream in the manner you're considering the idea of going 'into' a jet stream. You always want to get 'into' a jet stream in the direction of the jet stream. So, as I said (above):

"What an awesome time to be piloting a Boeing 747-436 into a 260 mph jet stream @ 35K feet heading to the UK. Ride it baby!"

The jet stream was 260 mph moving from West>East. The big bird (747-436) slipped into the jet stream and took if for a ride - heading to the UK.
Old February 10th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - BTW, day before yesterday I was reviewing some winds-aloft data (I hold a fixed-wing single-engine PP license - I'm a freak - you probably know this by now). Anyways, winds-aloft data is typical for any aviator to review when writing a flight plan. I review winds-aloft data not because I actively fly any longer, but because winds-aloft data provides the best indication of global and regional weather patterns for an extended period of time. Back to day before yesterday, I noticed the winds-aloft were expected to be 200 mph @ 35K feet. That is not significant, but it's up there. Yesterday morning I heard the winds aloft (jet stream) had reached a significant 260 mph and thought - oh yeah, that'll reduce the time heading over the Atlantic Ocean. Then, shortly after I heard someone made it in 4'56" beating the old record of 5'15" - cool stuff. I think their ground tracking was 801 mph and their airspeed reached about 850 mph? I don't recall - but that's going for a ride baby.
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Is anyone following the Stanley Cup Final playoffs? I haven't seen this guy on the ice yet.

Old February 10th, 2020, 11:58 PM

removed
Old February 11th, 2020, 02:28 AM
Running On Empty

removed

Say what?
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:37 AM
Running On Empty

James - Not certain what your link (URL) is supposed to represent. You can't post an email address as a link (URL) to a website - it's malformed.
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:37 AM

Norm, it was bill Murray at pebble beach chasing a bad putt that he caught and back handed in.

Mike my dentist needs a new Porsche so I'm going to buckhead. He gets a free oil change with a referral
I gave him your name
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:41 AM
Running On Empty

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/us/bi...rnd/index.html
Old February 11th, 2020, 04:39 AM

Oops, the email was cc from a family ordering a marker ( headstone) sorry. I REMIOVED THE address
Old February 11th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

41/40
Old February 11th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Good round, I wanta cha down in the 70's

Well, bucket beautiful sealed in sloping concrete floor, new 1 1/2 pvc run,, glued and strapped to the ceiling

And of course the )^)_)*(^(^_)*)(^% pump is defective

Back to Lowe's

" Nothing difficult is ever easy"
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:58 AM

Cooler but no rain yet

Norm, Sorry, I jes haveta ax. Why in the wild wild world of sports does one need a new flex plate cover> That's one of the few parts I've never lost

Old February 12th, 2020, 05:06 AM
Running On Empty

James - Fair enough question for sure. Directly after I purchased the vehicle, I had it up on jack stands for a 'look-see'. I wanted to review the state of the torque converter and low & behold it was quite easy to visualize as the LH-side of the flex plate cover was missing. It was missing as if someone had cut a line directly up the flex plate cover near the starter to gain access or for whatever reason. At any rate, as the seller of the flex plate cover, Brandon, indicated the flex plate cover he is selling is metal. My 1971 CS flex plate cover is plastic. I'm sure that was why it was cut (by someone) because it was easy to cut for whatever reason they needed to cut off the LH-side of the cover. I fashioned a replacement to the LH-side made from a laundry detergent plastic container and painted it black but there still remains a modest gap where air carrying dust, grime, dirt, water, etc. can enter the bell housing/flex plate. So, finding an all metal direct-fit flex plate cover will resolve my issue.

The torque converter, BTW, on the car looks to be brand new.

Off to play a little pasture pool this morning - tee time 9:00am. Trying for the once again elusive 70's game. Windy but mild outdoors. Winds are 16 mph - 20 mph. Temps about 55F.
Old February 12th, 2020, 06:15 AM

I've seen lots of GM cars back in the day with the torque converter cover gone or mangled. I remember one time as a 16 year old, I was driving my folks' 69 Cutlass on a gravel road that was graded up and I ran over the bump and then the car made a hellish racket. I brought it home and my Mom wouldn't let me attempt to jack it up and see what it was. Had to wait till my Dad came home and he paid the local gas station to take it off and repair it. Yeah mine on the 71 is plastic, I think the 69 was steel.
-- Hows it goin' guys??
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Hows it goin' guys??
Not too bad! The cover on my '71 was plastic as well.
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Running On Empty

41/42 Argh!
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:56 AM

Norm, Ya don't seem near as resigned to the fact that you;re never gonna make the tour as I am

That's agood score

Even the great don't score lower ever day
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Warm out. Cloudy but no rain, I'd say that's a success.

Work was okay. I was the go-to guy today, but funny no one came to me. I don't mind. Nothing broke, there was no orchestrated work slowdown, and we in fact finished right after lunch.
Going tonight to see a place on an airport, 6000 square foot hangar with a 400 square foot "apartment." Sounds okay to me. The trouble will be that it's an hour from work, and there's an association that will keep tight reigns on the whole place, which I am not going to put up with. Eh, we'll see. Six thousand feet sounds awful inviting.

Okay gotta get a couple things done before I leave. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 12th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Running On Empty

James - I don't think it was a bad score considering a steady 20 mph wind gusting to 25 mph. Playing in windy conditions is always a challenge getting there in GIR and putting with the wind makes it challenging.

Mike - Did you already ask them about Tiger?
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:58 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Not too bad! The cover on my '71 was plastic as well.
I would have been fine w/ a plastic flex plate cover. I reviewed several aftermarket plastic flex plate covers but they weren't exactly the same - more of a universal type fit across Chevy, Olds, Buick, etc. - some you needed to modify etc. So, this one being metal is a bonus, IMO, and I'm no longer a teenager so I don't anticipate going airborne over railroad crossings and running through cornfields.
Old February 12th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Running On Empty

James - I have to tell you though. I am launching the ball better now than I ever have been able to launch and compress the ball - it is very, very sweet. I'm not quite performing w/ good consistency but I'll tell you - I am launching the ball better than I have ever been able to launch/compress the ball. It feels fantastic.
Old February 12th, 2020, 12:08 PM

Norm, That's great the consistency will soon follow I'm sure.

A golf pro [ much smarter than me] once told me, Trying to hit it hard before hitting it solid is the kiss of death. Occasionally, I forget and have to prove his point, Good solid compression feels almost as good as a new glove. Or a hard body virgin [take your pick]

Old February 12th, 2020, 12:13 PM
Running On Empty

I always prefer the hard body virgins over a new glove - call me old fashioned and/or vintage, but some things appeal to me more than a new golf glove. And, you're 100% spot-on regarding hitting it hard. I am always needing to slow the cadence of my back swing and down stroke; and, when I do it's such a sweet delivery hitting the ball solid.
Old February 12th, 2020, 12:17 PM

Mike, FYI most parking spaces are 180 square feet [ not including to and from lanes]

I sure as heck would ax the HOA about outside storage
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:56 PM
Always room for one more

So I saw the place and I can tell you, 6000ft under one roof is damn glorious. A few problems. The living space was smaller than a tiny house. The mechanical room, which you pass through to get into the hangar, was flooded. But most importantly, the HOA specifically says you cannot live in a hangar or its attached apartment. And as for Tiger, several rules concerning fences that never would have worked.

Jamesbo, parked bumper to bumper, door to door that's 33 cars. Just how many do you think I have? Luckily some of the property is wooded so I could hide some in there.

So the search continues. Passed a defunct Chevy dealer on the way, how nice would that be. Big glass room up front, huge service department with multiple lifts, a wash area, my realtor said nope.

Old February 12th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I was wondering just how the hell you expected to live in a 400 sq ft living area.