The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2019, 12:09 PM

Mike, A 1st class guy like yourself needs a 1st class tractor. You know to bush hog weeds around you hanger
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. The fattest of the loudmouths was back but he was surprisingly quiet. We struggled all day to get our work done and didn't make it. The lead wanted people to stay late but it's chiro day for me so I left. The biggest thing hampering our success was about a dozen A350 main wheels. The word was they are a hot ticket item and they all had to go out no matter what. I can't imagine they were all needed today. And why didn't we get them earlier in the day, instead of after lunch? They take about a half hour to air up so each tire is a burden on the operation.

Allan I'm afraid my pressure washer privileges have now passed. My neighbor has(had?) one and his wife seems to be giving everything to her son. If Tony knew that he'd probably roll over in his grave. I'm going to use the bubbling scrub brush at the car wash and then the pressure wand. If that doesn't get them then they deserve to stay on there.

Greg I think a lot of people, such as I, would have done the exact same thing. Glad you're not hurt. Not a bright spot to put those shut offs. Actually the shredded tires for the mulch is a clever idea. Won't ever degrade. Of course it would have been nice if you'd have known that up front.

Marc I'd love to have a Minneapolis-Moline Comfortractor. Plow the field and then drive to town.

Okay my appointment is a little earlier today so I'm off to get ready. Jamesbo I'll see your message in a minute.
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Old May 16th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

That's it. Hard to believe such a beautiful and functional machine had such poor sales. Eh, what do people know.

Still nice out. No rain in sight. Tomorrow is Friday. Love it.
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Greg!!!!!!
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

The placard reads "Ahead Of It's Time"? WTH is that thing?
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:10 PM

Norm,

It's a Minneapolis Moline Comfortractor. The idear [like Mike said[] is plow you field, drive to town [with you wife [dog] in the extra seat

I have no idear how ya keep the sucker clean after plowing

But After putting out round bales for years with my Massey Ferguson, in the rain, The rear tires splash mud all over every where So in my case, it would be put out hay, go to car wash, drive to town
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Always room for one more

Norm the idea was that it could double as a car. It had a passenger seat, wipers, a heater, and it was "styled" rather than a boring looking tractor with chrome and trim. And it went 40mph so you could drive it like a car. And it cost 2100 bucks and that's why they only sold a few. But it was like a second car so I would think the farmers would think it was a bargain. What would a tractor AND a car cost in 1938?
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, I just read several articles regarding that 'thing'. It's 'weird'.
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Oh no, not again...

At $2100 they were almost triple of what you could have bought a basic Chevy or Ford at the time. So they were incredibly expensive, and that contributed to the poor sales. $2100 put them in Cadillac or Lincoln territory. Farmers in the Late Depression tended to be very frugal, most were deep in debt or cash poor by then, so a tractor like that was out of the question. So most who had any money left in 1938 went out and bought the closest thing to it, the Model U and put the rest down on a cheap Ford or Chevy, or if they were really suckers for punishment, a Plymouth. Plus, the ride wasn't the greatest, they tended to ride like...tractors. At top speed handling was a bit hairy, and over the roads of the day, probably bumpy as all hell. It was probably a good thing that most roads in rural North America were pretty crappy until well after the Second World War, you didn't encounter hot-rod 32 Vickies when you were plodding along between craters in your Comfortractor. The top speed of 40 made the ride a potentially all-day ordeal, depending on how remote you actually were. There were also some weight issues, some of the rickety road bridges couldn't handle the weight.
I didn't know there were any left in captivity; I thought they'd all been scrapped years ago. Good to see they saved the odd one. I'd love to see one, and it would be cool to drive one.

I like the old M M tractors, I learned to drive on a mid-50s model U. You could lug that engine down to less than 100 RPM, and it would still pull.
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Oh no, not again...

Kyle, I'm on the north side of 16, in the "Industrial Heartland". I work at a funny place called Sherritt in Fort Saskatchewan. Been there for 33 years. My background is Process Operations, it took them 25 years to teach me to be a good operator, and now I teach others. Funny you should mention H2S; I just taught an H2S awareness course today, along with SCBA/SABA (Self-Contained Breathing Air) A full day of standing in front of people is exhausting. And then swinging packs on and off, yeah, with my flu, it was fun. I'm pretty burned out.

Allan, yes, that flu just hasn't really or totally gone away. Just when I think it's gone, something else occurs. That's why I'm beginning to wonder if it's something else, 2 months is weird.

Greg, glad to hear that you're all right, but...Jeez... How many times do I have to talk about crappy ladders and the dangers of a < 6 foot fall....

Mike, considering all of the interesting vehicles you've found or own, I'm surprised you don't have a Comfortractor.

Got tomorrow off, so a nice 4 day long weekend. The wife and kid take off to Saskatoon tomorrow for a couple of days, I have the place all to myself...glorious!
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:23 PM

Well, I burned a sick day, which I abhor, but i was still getting stomach cramps, and throughout the day a headache and sinus pain. I'm beginning to think noro-virus rather than food poisoning. The Dr.s office did call back today telling me to drink plenty of fluids. They also said that I could come in. I said if it doesn't clear up after today, then I would.
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

It's always a crap shoot determining the pathogen unless you have a lab workup performed to identify 'the bug'. I believe Norovirus is now responsible for >50% of all food-borne illnesses making it a leading contributor to what is generally referred to as food poisoning. Norovirus infection generally clears w/in 3 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/symptoms.html

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 16th, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:49 PM

Oh wow that's a cool tractor/car. Never seen one of those before. Must be worth a few dollars to purchase one of those if you can find one.

Marc,
Fort Sask, know where that is. Lol I used to do my grocery shopping at Safeway there when we were doing a pipeline from Namao to Redwater a few years back. Fort Sask a busy little town. And one of our safety officers, Todd his name lives there too.
Gotta love tossing on the scuba gear, so much fun!!!

Well hope the rest of you get better soon, sucks being sick.

Well more of my ingredients came in today for Kelvin's build, so excited about that. New tires as well today, things are coming along with his project.
Juggling alot of projects right now. Lol Motor on the go, working on the flower bed, start planting gardens this weekend, tuning up the lawnmowers, digging a 8x15 pit tomorrow to bury water tanks for the wife's garden and hope to place some swamp mats for a temporary pad for my garage that am to move.

So much easier being at work!! Lol

Have a great PM gentlemen, cheers
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Oh no, not again...

Kyle, I grew up in the Fort and have lived in the area all my adult life. PM me Todd's last name, I might know him. I was just at that Safeway last night. It hasn't changed a bit.In fact, some of the same cashiers are still there from when I used to have a house in the Fort 10 years ago.
Today with the training, only watched one space cadet cold-**** himself with the SCBA, and one guy almost passed out on me when he forgot to turn on the SCAT bottle on his SABA when I turned off the air on him. Stood there turning blue until I ripped the mask off his face. I warned him it was coming too...Some people's kids...Today was a light day, usually there are more.

Amazing how it actually is a pretty small world, I might have stood in the same checkout line as you did, ever see a very tall, somewhat bigger, older person with glasses on in the Fort? Probably was me...
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Kyle, I grew up in the Fort and have lived in the area all my adult life. PM me Todd's last name, I might know him. I was just at that Safeway last night. It hasn't changed a bit.In fact, some of the same cashiers are still there from when I used to have a house in the Fort 10 years ago.
Today with the training, only watched one space cadet cold-**** himself with the SCBA, and one guy almost passed out on me when he forgot to turn on the SCAT bottle on his SABA when I turned off the air on him. Stood there turning blue until I ripped the mask off his face. I warned him it was coming too...Some people's kids...Today was a light day, usually there are more.

Amazing how it actually is a pretty small world, I might have stood in the same checkout line as you did, ever see a very tall, somewhat bigger, older person with glasses on in the Fort? Probably was me...
Its in a handy location where it is and Ukrainian Tire just a bit down from there. Was very handy for me, was a quick slip in and out of town from there.
You just never know, amazing how you come across people.
Yes, common sense isn't common any more!!!!! But it is kinda funny watching their eyes tho when there is no air!!! Or do I have a bad sense of humor?? lol
I always turn the valve on before I put the pack on, not fighting to find the valve.

Todd is in his late 30's. Used to race bikes, was up there in the race bike world. His wife does safety too, she from Newfoundland and has legs for days. She is tall, like 6'2" tall!!!
From what I recall, he's been there for years. So odds are you might know him or at least crossed paths. Will PM you his last name
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:33 AM

mawn'in

Headed norte to werk on Das Boat, I'll report back how things unravel

Gotta ger her ready fer the season, new gas, put the batteries back in [been on a trickle charger all winter] Fix the cover with the PVC contraption

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotta love today's society. How do they treat a nice looking shiny car?? The Malibu went to work yesterday and parked in its usual stall (long way from everyone else in the employees parking section) and some asshat keyed the whole passenger side of it. My son didn't see it till he was filling up with gas on the way home because that's the side the gas tank is on. I know it had to happen either yesterday or Wednesday because I had cleaned the glass on Monday and Tues. Wednesday it rained...Anywho, I called the Insurance last night and they were really good with everything. They're treating it as (properly) vandalism and have already made an appointment at a claim center for me, and will have Enterprise call to schedule a replacement car while it's in getting repaired. Going to today to get a quote and claim number, as well as file a police report. That car is going to be hard to match the color properly; it's Gold Mist metallic.

Should I be excited it's a long weekend here in Canada starting tonight??? Something says not really. Only thing that is a little out of place is big oil hasn't jacked the price of fuel, yet. Maybe by the time Memorial Day in the USA rolls around they'll get with it?....
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Gotta love today's society. How do they treat a nice looking shiny car?? The Malibu went to work yesterday and parked in its usual stall (long way from everyone else in the employees parking section) and some asshat keyed the whole passenger side of it. My son didn't see it till he was filling up with gas on the way home because that's the side the gas tank is on. I know it had to happen either yesterday or Wednesday because I had cleaned the glass on Monday and Tues. Wednesday it rained...Anywho, I called the Insurance last night and they were really good with everything. They're treating it as (properly) vandalism and have already made an appointment at a claim center for me, and will have Enterprise call to schedule a replacement car while it's in getting repaired. Going to today to get a quote and claim number, as well as file a police report. That car is going to be hard to match the color properly; it's Gold Mist metallic.

Should I be excited it's a long weekend here in Canada starting tonight??? Something says not really. Only thing that is a little out of place is big oil hasn't jacked the price of fuel, yet. Maybe by the time Memorial Day in the USA rolls around they'll get with it?....

What in the Fox Creek!?!?!?!? Some 1 keyed your car!!!! What is wrong with people??
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:36 AM

What A-holes. Why do idiots pull that ****? Hopefully the body shop can make it look like new again Allan. Well, going to get ready for work, stomach still not A-1. Haven't shaved since Tuesday, so gotta take care of that. Looks like a rainy weekend, so mebbe I'll just sit back and watch the Mecum auction. Norm, I never knew that the noro-virus was a food borne illness, I just assumed that it was a variety of the flu. Learned something new.
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning Guys:
Sorry about the Malibu Allan. That aggravates the hell out of me. People that do stuff like that deserve a kick in the nads. Good luck with getting it fixed.
I think yesterday was probably close to a recent record in number of posts. I am sure some of you that have been here longer have probably seen more activity, especially when Sandy was here. I worked on the big trailer yesterday. I had a board in the floor that needed replacing I had to cut a piece of flat steel to go over where a couple board had the carriage bolts pull out and started buckling up. Then I bought some angle (the stuff with the holes in it0 and a 2x12 and make a tailgate. That is in preparation for hauling dirt for yard work. I don't think I have posted since the guys came and replace the 19 window panels. Man what a difference. I think I got a pretty good deal for $3,000. It beat the heck out of paying probably $30,000 to replace all the windows in the house. My wife is very happy with the results. Lucy and I just got back from our morning walk, I have one little place on the trailer I need to weld on and will get that done shortly. I have to get the Mig welder in the driveway and get my 25 foot extension cord out to get it done. I was going to get about 1/2 yard of river rock for a couple spots in the yard but I am guessing that may wait until next week. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so there goes another car show.
Have a good day my friends.
Glenn
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day today at work. No big tires and we finished around noon or a little after. For whatever reason there is going to be a big push for wheels next week, one reason might be that it's AMT Day Thursday so that takes away from time doing work. AMT is Aircraft Maintenance Technician. They renamed us from "mechanic" one year instead of giving us a raise. Said it would give us more respect and credibility in the industry. I suspect the raise we were supposed to get went right into the director's pocket. Anyway AMT Day is on or around the birthday of Charles Taylor, the Wright Brothers' mechanic and regarded as the first airplane mechanic. So vendors come set up and pretend to give us a deal on tools, there's food, music, a good reason not to work. I'll probably see some guys I haven't seen in a long time, that will be good.

Allan that sucks about the car. Did the boy cut someone off in traffic and they followed him? Any chance do you think that someone parked next to him and just drug their cart against the car unknowingly or otherwise? I would say that the insurance company should pay to have the whole side of the car painted so it doesn't look so much like a patch job.

I had planned on going to Nashville to see the Lane Motor Museum tomorrow. But I don't think I will. It's going to be nice all weekend and I'd like to (try to) get something done. I haven't heard that the museum is going out any time soon, and admission is only 12 bucks. I'll go some time when it's raining.

Glenn it used to be two days tops for a page on the thread here. We achieved that earlier this week I think but these days it's out of the norm. I'm re-rethinking that car in Waxahatchie, it's a lot of money for what it is, but then again, there isn't anything around here so who knows.

Okay gotta get going to see what's what. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks guys, I'll know more shortly.
Mike - No, nothing like that. He's one of the most careful and polite drivers on the road. He absolutely doesn't engage in anything that can cause road rage. This was plain and simple vandalism. Looking at the key marks, they are in deliberate patterns, so no accidental rub by a cart. The area he parks is exclusive for HD employees. Although it doesn't rule out another employee, that's extremely unlikely as he's very well liked by everyone in the store. Most probable it was some asshat walking through the parking lot. I wouldn't be surprised if other cars were also vandalized. And yes, they likely will have to do the whole side of the car to make it look proper. They guarantee that if there's any issues with the repair, it would be fixed free as long as we're insured with them.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well well well, $1800.00 to fix. Insurance is picking up most of it; I just have to pay the deductible. I booked the car in for early June. It will take a week to dismantle, sand, paint and reassemble. I was impressed with the body shop; turns out it's one of Edmonton's premiere shops owned by Fix Auto. Run by an entrepreneur named Desmond Ross. His former company before expanding to this shop was called 'Auto Details'. Marc might be familiar with the name. I don't give the rental back unless I'm happy with the repair. You can bet I'll be checking for paint match in the sunshine before signing off on it, and I have a pretty good eye for color match/blends.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Always room for one more

That doesn't seem so bad for that amount of work. Might get with Home Depot and review the security cameras. Might not get any money out of it but you might see who did it and get them arrested. Check that, they will get themselves arrested.

Did some puttering around on a couple cars. Just as I walked in I heard thunder. The sky clouded up but no rain. There's supposed to be rain in the area this evening but I don't think on the south side.

I looked around the internet for a Comfortractor. Not much to be had, with only 125 made 81 years ago. The last one that sold at auction went for 200K. That's 5000 for every one mile an hour.

Dinner.
Old May 17th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Oh no, not again...

Allan, sorry to hear about the Malibu. Once caught a kid keying a 1960 Invicta I had in the CT parking lot, snuck up on him and slammed his head into the tailfin. Knocked him out cold, and left him lying there. He never knew what hit him. That was when I was 18 and a lot quicker, the Invicta was my first "vintage" car. Nowadays if a person did that they'd end up getting thrown in a ditch and shot for beating on a kid, the little bugger deserved it and I hope if he wasn't brain damaged, he thought twice about doing it again. Haven't heard about that shop, let me know how that guy works, I still need some pinstripes on my Wildcat.
Old May 17th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - there's no security cameras there. Sad. I'm filing a police report anyway just so they can add to their stats about where stupid people commit vandalism. The insurance agent told me that could be charged as a criminal offence if they ever got caught in the act or fessed up. I agree, based on the processes in body shops and air borne paint booths, that's a decent price for all the work they have to do.

Marc - thanks. I loved that story about the Invicta. Sounds like something in my wish list.... I'm expecting the work to be top notch and I won't accept less. If it turns out I'll pass that along. I don't know if they do painted pin stripes. That seems to be a dying art. You were talking about painted stripes weren't you??
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Evening gentlemen, seems like all been busy.

Allan,good news your car is been taken care of.

Marc, that's hilarious!!!!

Took the wife out on a date this afternoon, went to the garbage dump with quad and trailer. Lol
Yeah we simple minded people. Lol

Ordered more ingredients for Kelvin's build today.
Cant wait to see my wife's eyes when they show up, or on second thought, not maybe not. Lol

Fixing odds and ends, may have her riding mower up and running tonight.

Anyways, cheers boys!!!!!
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:02 PM

Marc, heh, heh. Served him right.
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:21 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Hope you're feeling better.
Allan - What a PITA dealing w/ that B.S.
Marc - I always enjoy a good story when a **** knocker gets what's coming to them - instant karma. Well played, well played.

They are having the 46th Annual Morehead City Chapter AACA Antique Auto Show today. It's just over the bridge from my place on the way to golf, so I'll drop by to check out some classics for a little while. It isn't a large event - I live in the boonies. There might be around 40-50 cars. I used to go to the Iola Car Show for a couple of days each year in July when I lived up North. That place is huge and an awesome display of classics.

Everyone has their own battles w/ the elements - the battles differ depending on where we live. Residing on the coast of the Atlantic it's a constant maintenance battle w/ mold, mildew, algae, pine pollen, salt air & the hurricanes. My home has overlapping 1"x10" center-cut pine siding. I could use my pressure washer, but if you increase the pressure to remove the stuff, there is more of a tendency to remove the paint. And, just tossing cleaning solvent at the siding doesn't really do much of a very good job so I hand wash the siding w/ a brush. I have several varieties of long extension wands & brushes. The white rain gutters turn very dark with mold, mildew growth. Hurricane Florence (last September) knocked the dog doo-doo out of our area and I have tons of growth. I don't do this every year - maybe about every three-four years. I'm about 1/3 finished. Brushing down the man-cave over the past seven to eight years has revealed the paint on the frame of the door is now turning to chalk and coming off. I've removed the paint and now refinishing w/ a supposed top-of-the-line Valspar metal (oil of course) paint. It's doing a great job. Needs x3 coats but protects and finished nicely. One more coat on one side - I better get at it.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 18th, 2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Surprise surprise for me, my favorite server is back at the Awful house. She took a job at a school and now they are done for summer so she's back for a couple months.

Marc how funny would it have been for someone to happen past a dude passed out on the ground with no car around after you drove off. Bet he had a heck of a headache when he woke up.

Here in the Greater Stockbridge Area our main nemesis is the pollen in the spring. It's humid as can be in the summer but I haven't noticed a lot of mold over the years.

Gonna head to the junkyard in a minute, then go put spark plugs in the black truck. I'll have to look to see if it needs its oil changed. I'd have to unhook the trailer and bring it over here for that.

Well have a good Saturday everyone. It's beautiful out here today.
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

The long weekend has arrived in Canada. Nice and quiet here this mawnin, just the way I like it. Yard work today and planting some flowers after I do a little soil conditioning. Maybe grill some burgers for dinner...
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Running On Empty

About 20-25 classics at the AACA - not one Oldsmobile.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:20 AM

Morning all,
Yep like Allen said, May long weekend here.
I have been having a long weekend for 6 weeks,
and it feels great!!!

Plugging away with projects, so far behind think I am ahead. Finally started on the riding mower. New
tires, welding the muffler back together. Now change the solenoid.

All have fun day, cheers
Old May 18th, 2019, 10:58 AM
Always room for one more

Nothing to write home about at the junkyard. One thing of note, I've never seen a Mini Cooper at the junkyard, and today there were three. I did see one Aura, but it didn't have any wheels. I need one, as my Mom took it out on the curb at the post office one day. Now there's a hammer at speed and I don't like it. Trouble is, all the Impala's and Grand Prix's that were there were 16" wheels and I need a 17" . No G6's there.

Nice and hot out. Gonna go mow the yard. I got plugs for the black truck and went over there, but can't find a feeler gauge. I'm not so trusting as to think the plugs are gapped at the right width, so I'll find my feeler gauge today and put them in tomorrow.

So here is a story that amuses me. My sister bought a Honda Civic, I don't know when 10 or more years ago, just your run of the mill Civic. It ended up with her youngest daughter as her car. It went to California for awhile and now is in Maryland. Being the typical Illinois car, it is rusted up to its windows. Also, it has about a million miles on it. My niece doesn't want to get rid of it, as it's been the only constant in her life for a long time. She's married to a loser and it's finally dawning on her. But the car is always there. Her young son has health problems, but the car is always there. She has to have the heat on full blast to keep it from overheating. Things are starting to not work. She won't get rid of it, though she did get a new car so her son has something safe to ride in to the hospital. My sister has talked her into giving it back, and she will fix everything that's wrong with it and I don't know if she'll keep it or give it back to my niece, but it won't go away. My sister called me asking for advice, and she said, I thought if anyone would understand all this you would. Ah, finally a little understanding from my family. I'm thinking I'll drive the truck up there and haul it home one weekend soon.

Norm are there any classic Oldsmobiles? I know the AACA was going to expand their list of true classics, but I don't know what all they include.

Okay gotta do something.
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Well, finally shook whatever is was that plagued me. Just a little sinus annoyance today. Mike, I don't think that Olds has any recognized Classics. the closest that there was, is the Reo Royal Cloud. Not technally an Oldsmobile, though we consider it one of us. I've yet to see a Viking. Gotta be rarer thatn hen's teeth.
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Always room for one more

Boy am I sore. After walking an hour at the junkyard on uneven rocks, I mowed most of the yard on uneven ground. I can barely move.

I was bored this evening and didn't have the gumption to move the couch so I could watch a movie, so I looked over some early pages of the thread here. Weren't we talking about this a little while ago? Saw some names I haven't seen in years. I should go look to see when I signed on.

So I took the dogmobile to the car wash today. Same as before, most of the bays were closed. But I did get into one and started putting in my quarters. The high powered spray was very weak and it pulsed. It didn't even get the brake dust off the wheels. The bubbling brush barely eeked out anything, much less bubbling soap. I don't think I got any bugs off the front of the car. The windshield did little better. So for $4 I got a lot of aggravation. It did teach me one thing, not to go back there.

My sister was going to call me tonight to talk about the car but I guess she forgot. She can be a little scatter brained at times. My friend who just lost his dad is about to lose his dog. A 110lb Yellow Lab. Poor guy has no use of his back legs anymore. I said, I had a dog I carried around, helped go to the bathroom, hand fed, just go with it. My friend is assured they will have to put him down on Monday. He's going to lose his mind.

Time for a snack and then hit the sack. No mowing tomorrow. Crap, I didn't dig out my feeler gauge. Eh, it can't be too far. Good night everyone.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:40 PM
Oh no, not again...

Enjoying a very quiet long weekend on my own, just me, no one else, the only ***** around is the cat or the Wild-***** in the garage.

Went out for breakfast today, took the Electra, it was a bit too cool to drop the rag and too warm to keep the windows up, so yeah, windows down, fresh air, - nice. After a brutally long winter, it was nice. Went and saw the guys from the coin club and the watch club, - learned a few things, bought and traded a few others, and then went home.

Picked up something interesting for all you Americans out there, - a Franklin Pierce presidential campaign token, dated somewhere around 1852. It's brass and in just about mint shape, - which it should be because it was only in use for a very short time and then forgotten about. It might become the genesis of another numismatic (coin) article, I have to see what I can find. Also picked up an English (used in N. America as well) 1/2 penny from 1745 in extra-fine (2 steps off "mint"). It's scarce because most ended up getting worn down to blanks. Got both pieces cheap, managed to get an early 2 Reichsmark (1st **** coinage issue, severely downsized and not popular) Martin Luther coin and a 1937 E 5 Reichspfennig coin thrown in on the deal. Not a bad haul for $50. Catalog on all of it is at least 3 times that.

Tried to charge up the self-starter on the law mower, unfortunately that's had the biscuit. Have to buy a new battery, and I probably should do an oil change too. That's tomorrow's jobs before I cut the lawn for the first time. It'll be another excuse to drive an old car around.

All in all, a pleasant and very nice and quiet weekend....Have a good Sunday!
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"I've yet to see a Viking. Gotta be rarer thatn hen's teeth."

Dan, Rick Winn who is president of the National Antique Olds Club of America and is a member of NTOC has a Viking. I have never seen it and it is stored in a warehouse with several other cars, all Oldsmobiles. I don't know if Rick knows how many Oldsmobiles he actually has. From what I understand, the Viking is a very complete car.
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Not one Oldsmobile of any denomination - Vintage, Classic, Antique, Historic - nada. I really only wanted to 'stop-by' and check things out. As I was looking for a parking spot on the street a couple folks thinking I was registered for the event were waving me into the entrance for the event. I was sort of hoping there might be a Cutlass I could poke around.

Thinking about your niece's relationship w/ that Civic reminds me of a friend in H.S. (Elgin, IL) who bought a Vega somewhere around 1971/72. By the end of the first year of ownership the front fenders were already rusting, by the end of the second year both front fenders had large spots of rust protruding through the metal. At some point the next winter, I recall seeing our H.S. friend's car cruising about town with one of the front fenders literally flapping in the wind as we watched it driving around town. Evidently one of the fender brackets/mounts had rusted/broken; and, there was barely any metal left on the tops of each fender. I don't recall but I don't believe the original Vega had any inner fender wells - the harsh winter road salt continually bathing the underside of each fender w/ salt deposits caking underneath. One day several of us were snooping about a salvage yard looking for parts for several of our cars when we spotted that same Vega parked in the salvage yard. It was like there was barely anything left of the car. Well, our H.S. friend bought himself an even better car - he had thought - a Ford Pinto. He was crazed. Several months later he said he just had to have that Vega back it meant so much to him. He did, in fact, buy that Vega back from the salvage yard and by this time we were pretty much all moving on in our lives but that H.S. friend, as I recall, started his own Body Shop and I really never stayed in touch w/ him after that. Maybe that Vega was his first full body-off rebuild - who knows.