The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2023, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Just make sure if you get a Subaru and the wife drives it that she is prepared to get hit on by women.
Definitely true if you drive one of these...

Old March 26th, 2023, 08:30 PM

I’ve read about that Subaru “connection” online and have to wonder if it’s a regional thing. Lots of “regular” folks here in AZ have Subarus and we have quite a “diverse” population but I don’t see Subarus as the vehicle of choice. Gotta say I see more families and outdoor oriented couples with them around here.
Old March 26th, 2023, 09:25 PM

You should have to live with the hairdresser thing with Miatas. Of course none of those people have ever driven one...Tedd
Old March 26th, 2023, 09:48 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Fun71
I’ve read about that Subaru “connection” online and have to wonder if it’s a regional thing. Lots of “regular” folks here in AZ have Subarus and we have quite a “diverse” population but I don’t see Subarus as the vehicle of choice. Gotta say I see more families and outdoor oriented couples with them around here.
Subarus is popular here by hunters and horse people but also known as one of the best
4wd cars for winter driving so regular people have them to. We have had our Subaru for
6 years now. Before the Subaru my wife had an BMW , also called "the arab car" here
because BMW are popular to muslims.

Last edited by GCH; March 26th, 2023 at 09:53 PM.
Old March 26th, 2023, 10:12 PM

“Arab car”. Now that’s funny to me as we don’t see the Arab connection over here where it’s more of a perceived wealth(status) thing. It’s an interesting geographic perspective.
Old March 27th, 2023, 02:36 AM

I am getting very close to taking on the Mike philosophy NEVER SELL ANYTHING AND LIVE LONGER. Let my heirs deal with the nut cases End of rant
Old March 27th, 2023, 03:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thunder and rain all night, and also this morning driving in to work. But it's going to clear up and be nice the rest of the week. That's cool.

You're right Chris I had forgotten a generation in there. Still confused. If they are charging the granddaughter with conspiracy, why haven't they charged the ex/new boyfriend? The granddaughter had to have someone to conspire with. Yes I know this isn't your dogfight.

Jamesbo you know what they say(who's they) He who dies with the most toys wins.

It's not a secret I'm no fan of foreign cars. But, if someone held a gun to my head and made me buy a new one, it would be a Subaru. Because if you spell it backward it says You are a bus. And because they give money to dog places. And if women will hit on me, so much the better.

I see I got the slow wall guy today. Maybe if I take some valium it won't bother me as much.

Okay things are getting going. Hope everyone has a good start to your week.

Old March 27th, 2023, 03:24 AM

Mike, Where do I send my resume to become your executor. I need a Amphi and a Dukw. Ill make you mine and you can help the Super Model toss my life time of collecting $hit in the trash
Old March 27th, 2023, 04:02 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I'll come over and 5S everything.

Old March 27th, 2023, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo I'll come over and 5S everything.
Now that's hilarious. You are gonna need a BIG shovel
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:25 AM

Mike, unless you have radical surgery, "Subaru women" will not want you.
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:47 AM
Jeff

Work friend had the oil consumption issue, which quickly nosedived into a significant loss of engine power on his Hyundai. Wound up getting a new engine, and I think it was close to or perhaps just over 100k miles. I wouldn't own anything made my HKMC (Hyundai Kia Motor Co) or Stellantis. Ford's recent track record has not been very good on their new vehicle launches, which just reinforces that you should never buy the first year of a new model launch, especially if drivetrains are new.

At least with my GM vehicles, I know to expect timing chain replacement on the 3.6 somewhere between 100-150k miles. Perhaps longer interval if I stick to the 3k miles oil changes. One thing I always tell people is to ignore that engine oil life monitor, and stick to 3k miles and synthetic.
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:56 AM

Good morning everyone.

You're right Chris I had forgotten a generation in there. Still confused. If they are charging the granddaughter with conspiracy, why haven't they charged the ex/new boyfriend? The granddaughter had to have someone to conspire with. Yes I know this isn't your dogfight.
Mike - Realize I am just guessing at this point. I think the Police believe the granddaughter conspired with the ex and new boyfriend to lure my BIL's son to the apartment, but their evidence is weak and/or circumstantial. So the Police have arrested the granddaughter first in hopes of getting her to flip on the other two for a plea deal that might even involve no jail time at all. Like I said, I'm totally guessing at this point. I don't know how old the granddaughter is, other than she is at least driving age (16), but she may still be a minor in the eyes of the law.
Old March 27th, 2023, 08:22 AM

16 year old girl threatened with women's prison will fold like a wet newspaper.
Old March 27th, 2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
16 year old girl threatened with women's prison will fold like a wet newspaper.
John - Just talked to my Sister this morning. I was able to find out the granddaughter is 18-yrs old, still out on bond, and is not cooperating with authorities, yet??? My Sister said the granddaughter was so high at the funeral (last Friday) that she was slumping over in her seat and pretty much incoherent. Total speculation on the part of my Sister, but they suspect the Ex-wife and boyfriend are keeping her drugged up and close-hold to ensure she doesn't talk? Who knows what to believe at this point, other than I'm sure these folks that are involved are not your highest class of citizens in any respect!
Old March 27th, 2023, 09:38 AM
GCH

“Arab car”. Now that’s funny to me as we don’t see the Arab connection over here where it’s more of a perceived wealth(status) thing. It’s an interesting geographic perspective.
Many BMW has been imported from Germany to Sweden , here is a pic of our "old" 523i -99 with 170 hk
straight six cyl and manual transmission. Very comfy car and a good quality interior ,seats. This model
was very common back in the days and several friends drove these 5 series. We maybe buy another
BMW in the future

Old March 27th, 2023, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - Just talked to my Sister this morning. I was able to find out the granddaughter is 18-yrs old, still out on bond, and is not cooperating with authorities, yet??? My Sister said the granddaughter was so high at the funeral (last Friday) that she was slumping over in her seat and pretty much incoherent. Total speculation on the part of my Sister, but they suspect the Ex-wife and boyfriend are keeping her drugged up and close-hold to ensure she doesn't talk? Who knows what to believe at this point, other than I'm sure these folks that are involved are not your highest class of citizens in any respect!
Chris I am a loss for words. All kids make mistakes. Its the life ruining ones ya worry about
Old March 27th, 2023, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Many BMW has been imported from Germany to Sweden , here is a pic of our "old" 523i -99 with 170 hk straight six cyl and manual transmission. Very comfy car and a good quality interior,seats. This model was very common back in the days and several friends drove these 5 series. We maybe buy another BMW in the future
Hey, that's my kind of car.

Here's my Swedish car. I totally love it.
2.5 liter (5-cylinder) turbocharged, intercooled, 300 horsepower, Borg Warner 6 speed manual transmission, all wheel drive, active suspension, Brembo brakes. This thing is a blast to drive, is extremely comfortable, can carry 5 people and a lot of cargo at the same time.

Last edited by Fun71; March 27th, 2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 27th, 2023, 12:56 PM
GCH

Hey, that's my kind of car.

Here's my Swedish car. I totally love it.
2.5 liter (5-cylinder) turbocharged, intercooled, 300 horsepower, Borg Warner 6 speed manual transmission, all wheel drive, active suspension, Brembo brakes. This thing is a blast to drive, is extremely comfortable, can carry 5 people and a lot of cargo at the same time.

Very nice Volvo Kenneth , blue is one of my favorite colours .
Old March 27th, 2023, 02:13 PM

Chris, you do have a ten year/100k mile warranty on your car. Kenneth & Glen, both of those cars would do well on Bring a Trailer. Jeff, with my Saturn Aura, i was doing the 3k synthetic oil changes, and thought that i was being ****, so i went to 5k, guess what? I was down 2qts. at about 4k. The catalytic converter catches that, and I never saw it coming out the tailpipe. If I would have kept it. it would have been $2500.00 to replace the timing set. That was 2017, and I had 127k on the odo, and that was when I decided to get away from GM. Picked the wrong replacement.
Old March 27th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, you do have a ten year/100k mile warranty on your car.
Dan - Yes, the 10yr/100k Powertrain Warranty for original owners only. Although aren't the engines now a lifetime warranty because of that one recall awhile back. I can't remember exactly how that read and what was actually covered under the "lifetime" part???
Old March 27th, 2023, 03:06 PM

Dan/Greg - Either of you guys know anything about the quality of Top Line/Hylift-Johnson lifters made in Muskegon? I have a line on a good deal on a set of .921 dia hydraulic lifters for my '67 400ci. I've started stockpiling a few parts, especially ones that are getting harder and harder to come by, and .921 lifters are getting more and more scarce.
Old March 27th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hm Aura's burn 2quarts every 4000 miles? I guess I have that to look forward to. My car only has 86. I hope it's long gone by the time I'd reach 127. By the way, which engine was that?

Beautiful out. Gathered up a few things in the basement to put out for the trash. I need to get down there on a nice spring weekend and clean everything up, sweep real good, and start organizing whatever it is I want to put down there. Got lots of room.

Speaking of BILs, Greg how's yours?

I'm getting the evil eye. Someone wants his supper.

Old March 27th, 2023, 03:51 PM

Mike, my BIL is doing sorta OK. He has pain, but still enjoys doing things. Thanks for asking.
Old March 27th, 2023, 05:14 PM

Kenneth & Glen, both of those cars would do well on Bring a Trailer.
Yeah, folks on the Volvo forums are always discussing the prices these R models are pulling in. The manual transmission vehicles are extremely popular - there are many auto to manual conversions being done due to the scarcity of factory manual trans vehicles. My V70R is fairly rare as in the 2006 model year there were only 377 with manual transmissions shipped to all of North America.
Old March 27th, 2023, 05:35 PM

Hi guys
What's been going on with my BIL and the death of his son reminded me of another crazy story I have never told you about. A couple years ago my wife and I sat down to watch a 2-hour Dateline special titled "Sex, Lies, and Murder". I swear to God this story is true. The story is about a guy from a prominent family in a well-to-do Detroit suburb that contracts the family's handy man/gardener to kill his wife so that he can openly carry on his relationship with his BDSM mistress. In the underworld of the BDSM community he was known as "Master Bob" and he had a BDSM dungeon in the basement of a local nightclub! As we started watching the story, and they started talking about this guy's BDSM lifestyle, my wife said to me, that guy is really sick and creepy. By this time, I had put 2 and 2 together and replied, you know what is really creepy, I lived in our college Frat house with him for 2-years. "Master Bob" was in fact Bob Bashara, Detroit native and Albion College graduate, and Sigma Chi Fraternity brother with me from '78 - '80. You talk about a creepy, uneasy feeling, yikes! After the handy man/gardener had killed Bashara's wife by strangulation at Bashara's direction, Bashara then tried to put a hit on the handy man/gardener but was found out before the deed could be done. Bashara was tried and convicted of conspiracy to commit murder on the handy man before being convicted of murder in the death of his wife, and was sentenced to life in prison for her death. Here's a link to just one of the many stories you can find out on the web about "Master Bob" Bashara. How's that for a crime story hitting close to home!
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...al/3394847001/

Old March 27th, 2023, 05:50 PM

. Although aren't the engines now a lifetime warranty
Chris, lifetime warranty only if the engine fails due to rod bearing failure. One of the mechanics at the dealership told me last year (while his boss was busy) that if my engine fails, to make sure that it has oil in it, near the full mark. They were told by Hyundai, if the oil was low on the dipstick that they would not cover it. just another way to get around the class action lawsuit settlement. Mike, the 3.6L engine. The early ones were know to use oil. Chris I don't have an answer to your lifter question. At one time they were part of Sealed Power. I happen to drive by there last year, and couldn't tell if they were in business. Perhaps manufactured elsewhere now a days? I'll email my buddy, and see if he has any info.
Old March 27th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Chris are they an older set that someone has? if so, they should be good. They made quality lifters years ago, and were an OEM and aftermarket supplier. I had heard that they closed, then were bought out and re opened, just don't know the current status.
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:00 PM

Chris I don't have an answer to your lifter question. At one time they were part of Sealed Power. I happen to drive by there last year, and couldn't tell if they were in business. Perhaps manufactured elsewhere now a days? I'll email my buddy, and see if he has any info.
Dan - Thanks for the info on the Hyundai motor. I talked to a representative from Top Line/Hylift-Johnson today to verify the part number and application and he told me they are still made at a plant in Muskegon? Still would like to know if anybody has any real world knowledge about the quality, so if your buddy knows anything I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Chris are they an older set that someone has? if so, they should be good. They made quality lifters years ago, and were an OEM and aftermarket supplier. I had heard that they closed, then were bought out and re opened, just don't know the current status.
Dan - I don't know how old they are, they are being advertised as NOS, but no info as to date of manufacture. The seller gave the correct part # and applications for the lifters, one application being for '67 400ci motors. They look new in the pics, but no pictures of original boxes/packaging. Thanks again for additional info!
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:13 PM
Running On Empty

"Master Bob" time line w/ complete history:

Psycho For Love: Robert Bashara charged with the murder of his wife, Jane Bashara; He has already pled guilty to solicitation of her murder

Chris - How many times did you visit that BDSM chamber w/ Bob?
Old March 27th, 2023, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
"Master Bob" time line w/ complete history:

Psycho For Love: Robert Bashara charged with the murder of his wife, Jane Bashara; He has already pled guilty to solicitation of her murder

Chris - How many times did you visit that BDSM chamber w/ Bob?
Well, the answer to that would be none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the approximately 2 and 1/2-yrs I knew him in college, I didn't think he was a bad or sick individual. He kind of came across as the large, amiable oaf. If anything, he was a little too friendly in my opinion, going overboard to try and impress folks, especially women, which wasn't going.to happen. Not that I'm any prize, but this guy was not a handsome dude, and I never knew him to have any kind of steady relationship with a woman during the time I knew him. He sure turned out to be one sick puppy!
Old March 28th, 2023, 03:18 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time 9:30am ~90 miles from here @ Cypress Landing Golf Course. I think I played there once (last year).
Old March 28th, 2023, 04:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good start to the morning, beginning with getting up a few minutes early. Nice ride to work, good start at work.

Dan my car has the 3.5 . It puzzles me why they'd have two engines so close to the same size. Mine actually runs nice(it needs plugs) and it really moves. No oil problems yet.

Chris how bizzare. Did you know his wife? It doesn't matter if Bob is good looking or not, he'd have on the leather mask.

So, taking Mom to the doctor after work. Taking the truck for its clutch on Wednesday. Taking Mom to the doctor on Friday. I don't mind taking her places but when she has things twice in the same week, it cuts down drastically on the time I have to do my own stuff. And of course it will rain on Saturday.

Lots of nose wheels coming. We'll be busy for the next little while. Have a good day everyone.

Old March 28th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Good morning everyone.
Chris how bizzare. Did you know his wife? It doesn't matter if Bob is good looking or not, he'd have on the leather mask.
Mike - He was 1-yr ahead of me in college, and he graduated in 1980. I never saw him after that, and the murder did not happen until January, 2012. I never knew his wife.
Old March 28th, 2023, 06:38 AM

Good morning guys,

Certainly is Spring here, and the rain just keeps on coming. It's rainy again now and supposed to continue until about noon. If it dries up in the late afternoon or early evening I need to get out and mow a little. The lawn is in that stage where some patchy areas are significantly longer than the rest and need to be knocked down.

No big plans for today, or the next few days.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old March 28th, 2023, 08:03 AM

We have rain forecast for tomorrow so that should hit you a day or so later.
Old March 28th, 2023, 08:12 AM

We have rain forecast for tomorrow so that should hit you a day or so later.
No doubt, they're calling for more rain on Friday. Could mess up my car plans on Saturday again, but I hope not!
Old March 28th, 2023, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Dan/Greg - Either of you guys know anything about the quality of Top Line/Hylift-Johnson lifters made in Muskegon? I have a line on a good deal on a set of .921 dia hydraulic lifters for my '67 400ci. I've started stockpiling a few parts, especially ones that are getting harder and harder to come by, and .921 lifters are getting more and more scarce.
Dan/Greg - The lead on a good deal for the lifters described in my post above is now a mute point! Before plunking my money down, I did some more due diligence looking into the site where the advertisement was listed. It appears the website is suspected to be a scammer site as determined by a couple of watchdog groups. Something wasn't sitting right with me about the way some of the information was worded on the site and that kept me digging. I hate Phuqueing Scammers! Again, another story of if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't true!
Old March 28th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tee-time 9:30am ~90 miles from here @ Cypress Landing Golf Course. I think I played there once (last year).
And, I played like a twice rented mule...