The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2023, 12:10 PM

Put chicken on the grill tonight, stepped away, forgot I left it on high. Came back several min later to a bad situation, grill was superheated and lots of fire. Got the gas off and tank away from it and realized that this reactor was melting down, so I put a kitchen extinguisher on it and got it down enough I could start working on it with water. Grill stand collapsed in the process and it was a plastic fire by then, so I hauled it apart from the stand and got them both put out. Salvaged the grates and the drip pan, then cleaned up the area. Eating pasta for dinner.
But, more importantly, did you save the chicken? Mike, they included most of the info for those blades. I thought that they were Pratt Whitney Govt. blades, but they are not, so the FBI won't be knocking on their door, just representatives from the local constabulary force. They are also not 3k blades, i was thinking of the 8665, which is a larger blade used for the F-35 and therefore the Govt. and their like would be involved. I also talked to our guy who found them on ebay. He informed me that we have a bigger issue with someone in the higher-ups concerning our blades and airfoils that he unconvered. He could not elaborate any further. Chris, both of your bikes look pretty nice, a lot of oil for a motorcycle. Maybe Yamaha should have built the engines for our Hyundai's. Norm, I left my Weber kettle grill at my last house, should have brought it with me. I bought a Charmbroil, complete garbage, didn't last a couple of months before it started leaking propane and flames behind the burner control panel. A dangerous piece of crap. My next gas burner will be a Weber.
Old April 12th, 2023, 12:40 PM

For a gas grill, I have a Kenmore 5 burner stainless steel model with a side warmer burner that I got in trade for a bottle of Scotch. Quite a story to go with that grill.

My neighbor picked it up on the side of the road during bulk trash pickup. He wanted to use it for little league tailgating, but it was too difficult to get in and out of the bed of his truck so he bought one of those shallow round briquet jobs that was easier to load and unload. We were talking one day and the neighbor across the street wheeled a very nice, new looking stainless rotisserie grill to the curb. The two of us just looked at each other and asked what was wrong with it, she said it wouldn't stay lit and she was done with it. So we figured it was a simple regulator or valve issue, and started rolling it across the street. My neighbor said let's roll it to your house. I told him it was way, way too big for my needs, so we rolled it into his back yard, and the one he picked up on the side of the road (and was sitting next to his gargantuan built in grill) moved into my back yard. I gave him a bottle of Dewars 12 year old for it.

The Kenmore gas grill doesn't get used much any more as the wife bought a Traeger wood pellet grill, and we use that almost exclusively these days.
Old April 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, both of your bikes look pretty nice, a lot of oil for a motorcycle. Maybe Yamaha should have built the engines for our Hyundai's.
Dan - Thanks for the compliment on the bikes. That amount of oil is not extraordinary for most large cruiser/touring bikes, most use 5 to 6-quarts. Part of the reason why they use so much oil is that in many cases that same oil is also used to lubricate the wet clutch and transmission. I wish I had that Yamaha engine in my Hyundai. Guys on the Yamaha forums rave about it as being "bulletproof" and there are many guys on there that put well over a 100K-miles on them without a rebuild, which is alot for a motorcycle. Mine has never used a drop of oil between oil changes. I do use the best quality Valvoline full synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil in it.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 12th, 2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old April 12th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Always room for one more

I'm not much for grilling out. My Dad had a Weber kettle for years and years. Mom didn't like it for some reason, and after Dad died it sat under the porch until we moved, about 14 years. It was rusted beyond belief and went in the trash. Funny, the cover never deteriorated.

Beautiful evening. Rain now every day until Monday. Put gas in the truck this evening so I could drive it to work in the rain. It was down pretty far and took 29.5 gallons out of a 34 gallon tank. That was a robust 94 bucks. Geez.

Old April 12th, 2023, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Put gas in the truck this evening so I could drive it to work in the rain. It was down pretty far and took 29.5 gallons out of a 34 gallon tank. That was a robust 94 bucks. Geez.
I have noticed that gas has really jumped up here within the last week. Today 93 Octane Premium is all the way up to $4.15/gal.
Old April 12th, 2023, 05:26 PM

I still have a “real” BBQ pit that I inherited from Dad. It was made by a pipe welder in South Louisiana in the 80s. A 13” diameter iron pipe, 20” long, 1/4 round top opening lid, shelf on each end, on a 24” tall x 2” pipe to a 14” round base with wheels. The thing must weigh 150 pounds. It’s a fantastic charcoal grill; these days I mostly use it as a smoker with a pellet filled smoke tube. It’s fantastic for that application.
Old April 12th, 2023, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I was wondering about that too. The rental house I lived in on the Texas Gulf Coast had drywall in the attached one car garage. From what I recall, the house was built in the 1950s, and I never noticed any issues with the drywall.

Can you expand on that?
If you don't seal a garage interior wall shared with the house, moisture can get there, so it has to be an exterior house wall there.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
But, more importantly, did you save the chicken? Mike, they included most of the info for those blades. I thought that they were Pratt Whitney Govt. blades, but they are not, so the FBI won't be knocking on their door, just representatives from the local constabulary force. They are also not 3k blades, i was thinking of the 8665, which is a larger blade used for the F-35 and therefore the Govt. and their like would be involved. I also talked to our guy who found them on ebay. He informed me that we have a bigger issue with someone in the higher-ups concerning our blades and airfoils that he unconvered. He could not elaborate any further. Chris, both of your bikes look pretty nice, a lot of oil for a motorcycle. Maybe Yamaha should have built the engines for our Hyundai's. Norm, I left my Weber kettle grill at my last house, should have brought it with me. I bought a Charmbroil, complete garbage, didn't last a couple of months before it started leaking propane and flames behind the burner control panel. A dangerous piece of crap. My next gas burner will be a Weber.
The chicken died.

For a gas grill, I have a Kenmore 5 burner stainless steel model with a side warmer burner that I got in trade for a bottle of Scotch. Quite a story to go with that grill.

My neighbor picked it up on the side of the road during bulk trash pickup. He wanted to use it for little league tailgating, but it was too difficult to get in and out of the bed of his truck so he bought one of those shallow round briquet jobs that was easier to load and unload. We were talking one day and the neighbor across the street wheeled a very nice, new looking stainless rotisserie grill to the curb. The two of us just looked at each other and asked what was wrong with it, she said it wouldn't stay lit and she was done with it. So we figured it was a simple regulator or valve issue, and started rolling it across the street. My neighbor said let's roll it to your house. I told him it was way, way too big for my needs, so we rolled it into his back yard, and the one he picked up on the side of the road (and was sitting next to his gargantuan built in grill) moved into my back yard. I gave him a bottle of Dewars 12 year old for it.

The Kenmore gas grill doesn't get used much any more as the wife bought a Traeger wood pellet grill, and we use that almost exclusively these days.
I researched the Coleman RoadTrip, realized a new one is too expensive, and the wrong kind of grill for what I am doing, so I bought a cheap Huntington from Rural King and will put it together. Also bought two extinguishers.
Old April 12th, 2023, 06:58 PM

Regarding extinguishers, after reading about the horrible mess that the dry chemical ones leave behind, I bought a CO2 extinguisher. It leaves no mess, is refillable, and can be used to ward off a bee attack by freezing the bees right out of the air. I kid you not, the bee attack was a serious consideration. Not quite up top the level of "how do I clean all this dry chemical powder out of my classic car after use" but it was one of the things to ponder.

Oh yeah, drywall in the garage. Thanks for the explanation. It made me remember that the wall shared with the house didn't have drywall but the other ones did, so that follows what y'all are saying and those old timer house builders in the 50s knew what they were doing.
Old April 12th, 2023, 07:35 PM

It made me remember that the wall shared with the house didn't have drywall but the other ones did, so that follows what y'all are saying and those old timer house builders in the 50s knew what they were doing.
Kenneth - Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are saying the opposite of what John did? I believe John said that any interior wall of the garage that is opposite any interior wall of the home had to be finished to lessen the transfer of heat/cold/humidity to the interior of the home. That scenario is Building Code for new homes where I am. In addition to that, here any garage wall that contains electrical has to be finished.
Old April 12th, 2023, 07:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Kenneth - Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are saying the opposite of what John did? I believe John said that any interior wall of the garage that is opposite any interior wall of the home had to be finished to lessen the transfer of heat/cold/humidity to the interior of the home. That scenario is Building Code for new homes where I am. In addition to that, here any garage wall that contains electrical has to be finished.
Chris - Let's be honest here. Your wall is NOT finished. The ONLY drywall on that wall is where I can see a light switch. Albeit, the wall is not "finished" you only have drywall where there's an electrical "device".
Old April 12th, 2023, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Let's be honest here. Your wall is NOT finished. The ONLY drywall on that wall is where I can see a light switch. Albeit, the wall is not "finished" you only have drywall where there's an electrical "device".
Norm - Not true. The entire garage wall that borders the interior of the home is insulated, drywalled, and taped. Here's a pic to prove it. In the pic you saw and commented on, that part of the garage wall is opposite the outdoors.

Old April 12th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I was referring to the wall in your image and which you stated the following:

In addition to that, here any garage wall that contains electrical has to be finished.
Albeit, the wall in your image is NOT finished in drywall.
Old April 12th, 2023, 08:12 PM

I dunno what code a 1950s built house had. This place had two parallel paper wrapped wires on insulators in the attic. How’s that for code?
Old April 12th, 2023, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I was referring to the wall in your image and which you stated the following:

Albeit, the wall in your image is NOT finished in drywall.
Norm - OK, maybe I could have made my original statement with better clarity. In the picture with the motorcycle in it, the portions of the garage wall where there are electrical wires, switches, or outlets must be covered with drywall per Building Code.
Old April 12th, 2023, 08:45 PM
Running On Empty

The three story duplex I owned/renovated in Milwaukee was built 1901 & was wire **** & Tube. It took me more than a couple weekends to re-wire that baby to code. Most states this is illegal - there remain some states where it is legal. Often times you'll still find **** & Tube in agricultural barns.
I remember all my Mom's families (sisters/brother) with farms in Wisconsin had two-party phone lines. Always confused me as a young'n - two rings for the barn, one ring for the house; but, they shared the same two-party line with their nearest neighbor 1.5 miles down the old dirt road - which was another one of her brothers - two rings barn, one ring house UNLESS the other house (her brother) was already engaged in a conversation then you just had to wait for the line to open.

Old April 12th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Running On Empty

I dunno what code a 1950s built house had. This place had two parallel paper wrapped wires on insulators in the attic. How’s that for code?
The home I currently own & reside was built 1931 and had several varieties of old fabric wrapped wiring some w/ paper some w/o. The "issue" with the wiring in this house wasn't so much the wiring itself (which I did replace), but the manner in which things were wired - they followed the *****-nilly protocol - any wire will do. Lighting tied to electrical circuits, circuits overloaded, I could go on. This electrical upgrade wasn't a two weekend job, either. I created I think maybe 7-8 dedicated independent polarized circuits separating duplex/outlets from lighting, dedicated single breaker circuit for refrigerator, dishwasher, television duplex outlets, dedicated duplexes for computers/servers, power supplies, etc. 240V electric range/oven, clothes dryer - based on load capacity. You'd be surprised how the lights no longer went dim each time an appliance was turned on.
Old April 13th, 2023, 03:06 AM

Norm My exs father sold his mothers house with wiring like that and gave the PMM [Purchase money mortgage/owner financed] note to my ex I never could get her to become the loss payee on the insurance policy Ya just cant fix stupid
Old April 13th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Day 1 million with the robot broke. I think it will get to that. We're minus a mechanic today so I'm getting wheels from his wall guy. I'm at over 20 long before lunch. Makes me look like I'm doing a lot.

I realized that my garage has (poorly done) drywall. I'd like to cover it all up with FRP.

Chris since someone went to the trouble of finishing the drywall on the front wall why don't you paint it?

Norm why did you take those pictures? Because it was so odd it was worth keeping them? Or because you thought some time in the future you'd be having an internet discussion about that very topic?

One more to go. Have a good day everyone.

Old April 13th, 2023, 07:19 AM
Always room for one more

One million days is approximately 2739 years. One million days from today it will be the year 4762. Jamesbo will the cemetery be filled up by then?

Old April 13th, 2023, 08:46 AM

Good morning everyone.
Chris since someone went to the trouble of finishing the drywall on the front wall why don't you paint it?
Mike - In all honesty, it's not that important to me because it's just the garage, and laziness.
Old April 13th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Running On Empty

Norm why did you take those pictures? Because it was so odd it was worth keeping them? Or because you thought some time in the future you'd be having an internet discussion about that very topic?
Mike- They're canned stock images from the Internet.
Old April 13th, 2023, 09:26 AM

O. Jamesbo will the cemetery be filled up by then?
Does that mean the Cast of Spartacus is gonna buy some lots
Old April 13th, 2023, 09:37 AM

My last house had the fabric wrapped wiring as well. I had a window a/c unit in the living room, and I had to shut it off to use the microwave in the kitchen, otherwise it would trigger a breaker, which meant going downstairs to flip it back on, and trying again.
Old April 13th, 2023, 10:39 AM

Chris I have sum posters of Ladies playing with fire hoses etc you're welcome to if ya wanted to hide the drywall seams ,
Old April 13th, 2023, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris I have sum posters of Ladies playing with fire hoses etc you're welcome to if ya wanted to hide the drywall seams ,
Only if you throw in a cemetery plot, because it probably wouldn't be long before I needed one.
Old April 13th, 2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Only if you throw in a cemetery plot, because it probably wouldn't be long before I needed one.
My mother harasses me to have less beer signs and animal heads in my house because "a girl will be turned off." My thoughts are, if you're that shallow that that bothers you, and that arrogant that you think you can dictate my decor in my house to me after a date or two, then I am better off without that sort of girl in my life. On the other hand, once one becomes married, decor is a joint decision. Until that day, which, to be fair, will probably never come, I will decorate as I see fit. I think I am at 100 beer signs now.
Old April 13th, 2023, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My mother harasses me to have less beer signs and animal heads in my house because "a girl will be turned off." My thoughts are, if you're that shallow that that bothers you, and that arrogant that you think you can dictate my decor in my house to me after a date or two, then I am better off without that sort of girl in my life. On the other hand, once one becomes married, decor is a joint decision. Until that day, which, to be fair, will probably never come, I will decorate as I see fit. I think I am at 100 beer signs now.
I have to give my wife some credit, sports memorabilia, car signs, motorcycle signs, hunting trophies, no problem whatsoever. I know where the line is, and pictures of scantily clad or naked women on display is definitely on the wrong side of her line. I can easily live with that.
Old April 13th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Old April 13th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

Old April 13th, 2023, 03:59 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Koda

Old April 13th, 2023, 08:10 PM

Funny song.

So, grill burnt down Tuesday night, I went to Rural King last night and bought a Huntington cheap grill. Tonight I mowed the front and side yards and then repainted my building outline and the utilities buried paths so I can mow tomorrow and still have it be there. As it got dark, I assembled this thing. It's missing one spring pin, but I got it together and lit it off. This thing is CHEAP, but should last a few years.
Old April 13th, 2023, 08:11 PM

Old April 14th, 2023, 02:10 AM

Got a double hitter today, then headed norte Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old April 14th, 2023, 03:57 AM

Wow I have tried to post twice in the last 2 days. Both times it got lost- Geez. Around here code is 5/8" drywall (Fire blocker) on a wall in attached garage between house and garage. I got the 09 F150 home and am checking it out. It looks like one of those 4x4 trucks that had all the dodads added (20" tires/wheels, fender flares, etc) then just drove into the ground... Dirty, etc. I will try to post a pic.
Old April 14th, 2023, 04:28 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Good luck w/ your double hitter - I hope they show up.
Greg - Looking fwd a pic of the new beast. I'm in e-mail hell myself right now w/ GoDaddy. Yikes.
Old April 14th, 2023, 04:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Our early Fridays were abruptly terminated yesterday. So it was 6am for me this morning. That means we work until 230, but I'm leaving at 12 anyway because I have to take Mom to the doctor at 2, and that just isn't going to work.

Chris you at least have to have the Farrah Fawcett swimsuit poster in the garage. When I was in 4th grade, I had the Tshirt. I wore it until you could read the newspaper through it. I bet the poster is available on the internet somewhere.

Slow this morning. I think our robot is going to be broken forever, not just 2700 years. Overtime and double time this weekend. Hope they have fun I won't be here.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; April 14th, 2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old April 14th, 2023, 05:03 AM

If everyone will send me $20.00 I start a square pool on when Mikes robot will be fixed. When/if it get fixed, the date of your square is the winner of the pool
Old April 14th, 2023, 05:13 AM
Always room for one more

I was right, the swimsuit poster is 11.99 at Walmart if you order online. And there's plenty of other places as well.

Jamesbo does one of the squares say "Never?" I'll take that one.

Old April 14th, 2023, 06:22 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim - Good luck with the funerals and safe travels north.

Greg - Good luck with the truck, anxious to see a few pics. How is the painting of your classic truck going? Will if be ready for Summer?

Mike - I was able to get my picture taken with this Supermodel almost 13-years ago, and I have it in my living room, on my phone, and in my wallet. It wasn't cheap, I'm still paying on installments!

Old April 14th, 2023, 06:55 AM

Mike, looks like she has her high beams on