The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2023, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

Just got back about an hour ago from a visitation for a 9-year old little girl who lost her 4-year battle with cancer. She was the Grand-Niece of my wife's best friend in Highschool. So sad, it just makes me ill to think of what her parents, siblings, and the rest of the family are going through!

I hope you guys had a great day!
It's stuff like that that makes me wonder about my faith. It doesn't weaken it, and I don't know how to take comfort in saying that there's a greater plan nor do I think that any man is qualified to explain that to me more than I am to myself, but I realize there is so much that I will never understand about what I believe.

The only solace I get is that, as I get older, the questions that I felt I had to eventually answer to be a good Christian in life and at death are questions to which I am not expected to have the answers.
Old January 4th, 2023, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
The only solace I get is that, as I get older, the questions that I felt I had to eventually answer to be a good Christian in life and at death are questions to which I am not expected to have the answers.
^^^x2^^^
We are incapable of understanding, that is why they call it Faith!
Old January 4th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Tedd - I checked out your location on Google Maps satellite imagery. Very pretty country, and that Hwy 32 looks like it would be a blast to ride on my motorcycle!
Or a Miata, BMW Z3 a close second. I forget how stunning it is till I take someone who hasn't been on it before. We often take long trips to see different sites when we live surrounded by just as pretty or unusual places near home. I still like to travel though...Tedd
Old January 5th, 2023, 03:56 AM

Well another Red Cross deal the other night. Gal had a fire in her house. Damaged a wall and ceiling but fire dept got it out. So she and family left place. Inhabitable. Decided to go back to get some stuff and found house was back in flames, by time FD got there 2nd time , house completely destroyed!! It reignited- happens a lot I've heard. House was paid off- no insurance!!! Geez..... Red Cross does a lot of good things you never hear about, one being the "small" catastrophes like this. She gets a "client assistance card" to help with immediate expenses. Such a sad story about the 9 year old, Chris. Rainy here all snow is gone- getting to be a muddy mess.
Old January 5th, 2023, 04:01 AM
Running On Empty

That's terrible. A home w/ no mortgage (paid off = assuming they owned title) and no insurance. Argh! You may save a few bucks not having to pay for home insurance, but look what happens now? Wow. That's terrible.
Old January 5th, 2023, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Or a Miata, BMW Z3 a close second. I forget how stunning it is till I take someone who hasn't been on it before. We often take long trips to see different sites when we live surrounded by just as pretty or unusual places near home. I still like to travel though...Tedd
Tedd - I had the opportunities to visit CA for business many times between 1998 - 2004, working with engineers from the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) in Pasadena and engineers from British Aerospace and Engineering (BAE) in San Diego when I was working on a Space Shuttle Mission that was flown in 2000. We didn't have alot of spare time for sight seeing on those trips, but I did enjoy both of those areas. I did get to meet Bill Walton on the boardwalk in San Diego when we wandered upon him coming out of a shop there. Getting to northern CA is still on my bucket list, it looks beautiful!
Old January 5th, 2023, 04:59 AM

Greg - Very sad about the family losing their home! I know you don't look at it this way, but you should be proud of your efforts in trying to help make a positive difference during someone's time of need, very commendable!
Old January 5th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Work is laughable. Yesterday, when I wasn't here, things were slow. According to every worker, the flow of wheels was next to non-existant. They were short quite a bit of the number. Today, the lead lectures us about not working hard enough, and when someone pointed out that the rail was dry most of the day, the lead said no, it wasn't, and continued on like it was everyone's fault up here. You know what we used to say in my other department? Eight then skate.

Greg good on you for helping those people. That is odd and ashame the place caught again and was destroyed. I actually know a few people who don't have insurance on their homes. You gotta do what you think is right. Insurance on either of my houses is rather high, I can see why it gets dropped when you don't absolutely have to have it.

Chris that's too bad about the little girl. I pray the family can get through it in one piece.

Well, breaktime. I've actually done pretty well this morning, despite not having a lot of wheels. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old January 5th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Yeah, they have those billboard advertisements around here that say: "Food, Rent or Gas, What do you pay?" - or something like that. She said she had house insurance but then house was broken into, Ins Co. paid theft claim but then raised premiums so high she couldn't afford so she let lapse... Really sad.
Old January 5th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris that's too bad about the little girl. I pray the family can get through it in one piece.
Mike - I hope your work situation improves, there's certainly nothing fun about having to go into a place everyday that you know is going to be a PITA!

I think the little girl's family will be fine after some time. I did not know any of the people there before I got there, but of course after meeting my wife's childhood friend, I spoke with her and her father for quite awhile. The family appeared to be a large, close-knit group, and I'm sure their grief will fade with time.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 5th, 2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old January 5th, 2023, 08:40 AM
Always room for one more

Eh Chris I don't mind coming in every morning. This is an easy gig and I don't stress over the drama. It's true, things would go smoother if the lead didn't get so pissy about things. I'm sure the family has done most of their grieving a long time ago.

I walked past the roll up door a little while ago. Bright sunshine. Gonna be fairly warm today, I'll take it. Rain next week.

Went to lunch with 19 wheels. I don't know what the others have done, I suspect similar. The lead just walked around looking at all the people not working, 7 minutes after lunch ended. I feel another lecture. Bring it.

Old January 5th, 2023, 10:19 AM
Running On Empty

Went to lunch with 19 wheels.
Why would you go to lunch with 19 wheels? Friends couldn't join you?
Old January 5th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Always room for one more

Norm that's funny. Don't lose your day job.

Old January 5th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Why would you go to lunch with 19 wheels? Friends couldn't join you?
"Wheels" are code for co-workers, management are "Tools"!
Old January 5th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Always room for one more

That's a good one Chris. I signed off 19 wheel/tire assemblies prior to lunch. I went to lunch they did not. Actually I didn't go to lunch, I stayed at my desk.

So I don't think I told you guys about these two puppies I saw out walking around without collars. One is a male GSD(beautiful sable) and the other a female tan boxer. Couldn't stop when I saw them and wished I could have all afternoon. Today I saw them on my way home from work. The GSD was in traffic! The boxer was on the side of the road. So I turned around and stopped. The GSD ran off. The boxer stayed a few yards away and woofed at me. The Shepherd came close to the truck, not knowing I was sitting there, and ran back when he saw me. They both went up the hill and disappeared into some brush. No way I could follow them. But this tells me no one is looking for them, it's been several days. My heart aches for these puppies. Maybe they got scared and bolted with the noise on New Years. Or maybe, like so many shitty people around here, they got dumped off and now have no home. Neither has a collar. They are both in good shape, if not a little thin. Since I know they are hanging out in the same place, I'm going to keep treats in the truck and see if I can get them to come over. I don't know what I'll do with them but they can't be out in traffic.

Okay cleaned up in the kitchen a little and now I'll sit down and relax. Early to work tomorrow, which is okay because it's going to be nice and I want to do outside stuff tomorrow.

Old January 5th, 2023, 04:27 PM

Mike - I hope you can capture one or both of those poor pups! Just in case you do, it might be be worth researching in advance the location of the nearest "No Kill" shelter near you, unless you already know? Just a suggestion.
Old January 5th, 2023, 04:52 PM

Yep Mike, as Chris sz I think you should call animal control. They should be able to catch the dogs and get them a home. I've been in the same situation as you before. See a stray and stop to pick them up but can't. The worst thing I can imagine is to see a dog hit by a car. That wouldn't just ruin my day, it would ruin me for 6 months or so....
Old January 5th, 2023, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yep Mike, as Chris sz I think you should call animal control. They should be able to catch the dogs and get them a home. I've been in the same situation as you before. See a stray and stop to pick them up but can't. The worst thing I can imagine is to see a dog hit by a car. That wouldn't just ruin my day, it would ruin me for 6 months or so....
Greg - I beg to differ with you, depending on the practices, rules, and regulations of the local Animal Control in your area. A dog picked up by Animal Contol in our area opens up a substantial possibility for the dog to be euthanized if they are not claimed by the owner or adopted within a specific period of time. The Animal Contol facilities around me do not have the resources (boarding and dollars) to hold strays or abandoned dogs for very long. So sad, but true. This is why I suggested that Mike contact a "No Kill" shelter or organization if he captured the pups, and many of these types of organizations will also come and try to capture the strays if they are hanging in the same area.
Old January 5th, 2023, 11:26 PM

Back from the monsoon, more like in between one storm getting ready for the next one. This is the first time I have had electricity in three days, phone is dead, house is cold, hopefully fridge stuff is still good, the road in is now free of fallen trees and there is no snow, all rained off.

I now know what it is like to be in a hurricane, quite scary and the feeling there is nothing you can do to change anything. At about 4 AM, there was a huge gust of wind followed by this roar of what sounded like broken boards coming down the deck outside my bedroom slider. I figured I lost the deck from an uprooted tree, turned out a couple of plastic deck chairs got free of their moorings and tumbled and rolled about 35 feet down the deck, sounded like a herd of elephants, pretty much a sleepless night. Getting ready for the next one in two days, if it is as bad as this one the flatlands will be flooded... Tedd
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:06 AM
Always room for one more

Happy 4o'clock Friday everyone.

I'm guessing this is going to be the norm, starting early on Friday. I don't particularly care for it but nobody asked me.

So this is weird. I get in the pickup this morning, the dome light comes on, but when I turn the key everything goes dead. I'm thinking loose battery cable but I certainly wasn't going to put any time into it in the dark, and having to get to work. So I took the car with the bad brakes. I haven't driven the car in weeks. Kinda weird.

It's funny, not really, the Henry County Animal Shelter will euthanize animals but not on any schedule. When the place is full, then the ones there the longest have to go. But I've seen where dogs have been there for months. Now, Clayton County is a high-kill shelter. Every Thursday they take a percentage and that's that. They have a lot of volunteers and all they seem to do is try to keep dogs from getting it. Very high stress I'm sure.

After work I was planning on getting the car on jackstands and starting the brake job. Now I'm going to be working on the truck. Sheesh it's always something.

Well good Friday to you all.

Old January 6th, 2023, 03:08 AM

Greg - I beg to differ with you, depending on the practices, rules, and regulations of the local Animal Control in your area. A dog picked up by Animal Contol in our area opens up a substantial possibility for the dog to be euthanized if they are not claimed by the owner or adopted within a specific period of time. The Animal Contol facilities around me do not have the resources (boarding and dollars) to hold strays or abandoned dogs for very long. So sad, but true. This is why I suggested that Mike contact a "No Kill" shelter or organization if he captured the pups, and many of these types of organizations will also come and try to capture the strays if they are hanging in the same area.
I agree, Around here there is just one animal control by the county, but they have a almost zero euthanasian. Only ones I have heard of in last few years were biters or sick. Course this may have changed after Covid- I've heard that more pets are being turned in now. I guess that just boils down to what each local situation is. No I don't want to see any stray get put down. - Ate another Chicago Inn Pizza last night. This one a pepperoni and sausage- really good. Wifey got it at Krogers, that's good cuz we aren't a fan of wallys.
Old January 6th, 2023, 03:23 AM

Tedd, wow that sounds pretty hairy! I think I told you about our trip thru California on Coastal road north of Fort_____. UGH memory loss I can't remember the name of the city or the 2 highways that essential become 1. Is it 101 and 1?? Anyway it was April 2017 and we kept seeing signs that the inner road would be closed, so we assumed the other coastal one wasn't affected, until we got to the actual road closed sign and had to turn around. A little scary- raining like a SOB. The road closure was cuz of mud slides. Anyway had to go back south maybe 60 miles to get back to Fort _____. Stayed in a Motel 6 and next morning out to I5 and North again. Well I hope your power comes back and no damage to your place.

Old January 6th, 2023, 05:57 AM

I guess that just boils down to what each local situation is. No I don't want to see any stray get put down. - Ate another Chicago Inn Pizza last night. This one a pepperoni and sausage- really good. Wifey got it at Krogers, that's good cuz we aren't a fan of wallys.
Greg - I knew you wouldn't want to see any stray put down just because someone was too lazy or uncaring to care for it. For the life of me I can't understand why people just dump off the poor things to fend for themselves when there are plenty of places that will take them and try to find good homes for them. Really glad you enjoy the pizzas and that you can get them at Krogers. My parents used to shop at Krogers, but we do not have them here in Missouri, at least not in the St. Louis area. All our other larger grocery stores are much more expensive than Walmart.
Old January 6th, 2023, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Back from the monsoon, more like in between one storm getting ready for the next one. This is the first time I have had electricity in three days, phone is dead, house is cold, hopefully fridge stuff is still good, the road in is now free of fallen trees and there is no snow, all rained off.
Tedd - Now that I know where you're at, I've been keeping an eye on what you've been getting. Sounds like it got pretty dicey, and that does make for sleepless nights. Sure glad you're power's back on though and you can take the chill off! Batten down the hatches before the next round and stay safe pardner, we'll be saying a few prayers it ain't too rough for ya.
Old January 6th, 2023, 06:13 AM

It's funny, not really, the Henry County Animal Shelter will euthanize animals but not on any schedule. When the place is full, then the ones there the longest have to go. But I've seen where dogs have been there for months. Now, Clayton County is a high-kill shelter. Every Thursday they take a percentage and that's that. They have a lot of volunteers and all they seem to do is try to keep dogs from getting it. Very high stress I'm sure.

After work I was planning on getting the car on jackstands and starting the brake job. Now I'm going to be working on the truck. Sheesh it's always something.
Mike - Sounds like you're on top of how the Animal Shelters in your area operate, good for you! Good luck with the truck!
Old January 6th, 2023, 06:18 AM

Greg - I knew you wouldn't want to see any stray put down just because someone was too lazy or uncaring to care for it. For the life of me I can't understand why people just dump off the poor things to fend for themselves when there are plenty of places that will take them and try to find good homes for them. Really glad you enjoy the pizzas and that you can get them at Krogers. My parents used to shop at Krogers, but we do not have them here in Missouri, at least not in the St. Louis area. All our other larger grocery stores are much more expensive than Walmart.
I like Schnuck's, but, damn, they like their prices.
Old January 6th, 2023, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I like Schnuck's, but, damn, they like their prices.
John - I agree 100%, they are very nice stores, and you'll pay through the nose for it! Another large St. Louis area chain are the Dierbergs stores, maybe even a little more upscale than Schnucks, and even more expensive! AiYiYi! There are also the bargain basement type grocery stores like Aldi's and Save-a-Lot, but then you don't have the selection of well known Brand Name products like you do at Schnucks, Dierbergs, or Walmart. As much as I don't like going to Walmart, they are by far the cheapest place to shop for Brand Name groceries, and there is a huge selection.
Old January 6th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Jeff

John - I agree 100%, they are very nice stores, and you'll pay through the nose for it! Another large St. Louis area chain are the Dierbergs stores, maybe even a little more upscale than Schnucks, and even more expensive! AiYiYi! There are also the bargain basement type grocery stores like Aldi's and Save-a-Lot, but then you don't have the selection of well known Brand Name products like you do at Schnucks, Dierbergs, or Walmart. As much as I don't like going to Walmart, they are by far the cheapest place to shop for Brand Name groceries, and there is a huge selection.
Aldi's in-house brands I have found to be nicely comparable to name brands. We wind up braving Wallyworld when we're up north. Oh, the dregs of humanity that grace that store!

I'm sitting here chuckling about two of those store names. Schnucks I would always refer to as Schmucks, and Dierbergs just begs to be screamed DIERBERGS!! with a German accent. 🤣

Old January 6th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Aldi's in-house brands I have found to be nicely comparable to name brands. We wind up braving Wallyworld when we're up north. Oh, the dregs of humanity that grace that store!

I'm sitting here chuckling about two of those store names. Schnucks I would always refer to as Schmucks, and Dierbergs just begs to be screamed DIERBERGS!! with a German accent. 🤣
Jeff - I agree with you there are many in-house brands at Aldi's that are comparable to Brand Names, just depends on the item and individual's palate.

Funny you said that about Dierbergs, because the name Schnuck is of German origin too! Lots of areas in St. Louis with a high concentration of folks of German heritage. How's this for another one, Fogelbach, my wife's Maiden Name!
Old January 6th, 2023, 12:12 PM
Running On Empty

We have two grocery stores in the metropolis (2800 pop.) I reside - a Food Lion & a Piggly Wiggly. The Pig sucks dried donkey turds. The Food Lion isn't much better, they have a better selection (most of the time) but the store is pathetically operated by their personnel - I hate them both. I do the majority of my shopping (in particular my grocery shopping) over-the-bridge ~7 miles (Morehead City, NC) near to where I play pasture pool (M,W,F) at either Harris-Teeter or Lowe's Foods. I just dropped off shipment of the guitar I sold.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 6th, 2023 at 12:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Old January 6th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Norm - Looks delicious, I love that type of pasta salad. Vinegar/oil type dressing? Roma tomatoes? We usually eat it as a side with some type of meat, but I could make a whole meal of it. One of the simplest meals I know is pasta, butter, and Parmigiano cheese, which I can easily make a meal out of!
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Norm Did you know Harris Teeter Piggly Wiggly and Big Star are going to merge into BIg Wiggly Teeter
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Running On Empty

Love it Jim....
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Pesto, Roma Tomatoes + Parmesan
Old January 6th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

1808 hours (ET)...my best stuff will be displayed

Old January 6th, 2023, 01:58 PM

Jeff, Yep that is the same Wallys I am talking about in Prudenville. I don't think our Walmart is quite as bad as the big ones in Atlanta- St Louis areas as our other friends. My wife has always liked Kroger best as she used to work at the one in St Johns. No Kroger near here though. She also likes Meijer better than Wally.
Old January 6th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Jeff, Yep that is the same Wallys I am talking about in Prudenville. I don't think our Walmart is quite as bad as the big ones in Atlanta- St Louis areas as our other friends. My wife has always liked Kroger best as she used to work at the one in St Johns. No Kroger near here though. She also likes Meijer better than Wally.
Greg - I would like to clarify my dislike for going to Walmart. I love the variety and pricing of Walmart, especially the fact that you can get just about anything you need there under one roof. What I hate, are the higher than average number of rude and ignorant people that frequent it!

Thanks for mentioning Meijers, I couldn't think of it yesterday. It's probably the most popular grocery store in Battle Creek, but we don't have them here in StL.
Old January 6th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Always room for one more

I'd love to shop at Publix but I'd go broke. We had a store up home, Jewel, that had everything and wasn't priced in the stratosphere. I miss going there. I liked Winn Dixie before they all turned into Food [something].

I think the lead is trying to get people to dislike him. He started out at 4 with the battle cry Let's get done! We finished up around 10, cleaned up and were ready to go. He comes out and says put your stuff up we can't leave this early. He comes back a few minutes later and says "someone else" doesn't want us to leave before 11. I call BS on that. Because then he left after that. About ten minutes before 11 the other lead comes and says go home.

Fiddled with the pickup after I got home. Loose negative battery cable. I didn't find it all that loose, but it's what solved the problem. I'm leaving the wrench in the truck in case it comes loose again. Glad it was that simple.

Old January 6th, 2023, 02:42 PM

Fiddled with the pickup after I got home. Loose negative battery cable. I didn't find it all that loose, but it's what solved the problem. I'm leaving the wrench in the truck in case it comes loose again. Glad it was that simple.
Mike - I'm glad it was that simple, good deal!