The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2023, 04:16 AM

Ken, the pizza I am talking about is a frozen one from Walmart! So not on the same level as a true Chicago or New York style from a pizzeria.. I have always hated frozen pizzas but Chris recommended to try these pies from Wally world and I did and like them. Best frozen pizza I think I've had- .
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Ken, the pizza I am talking about is a frozen one from Walmart! So not on the same level as a true Chicago or New York style from a pizzeria.. I have always hated frozen pizzas but Chris recommended to try these pies from Wally world and I did and like them. Best frozen pizza I think I've had- .
So just for added info, the pizza we've been talking about is a true Chicago born pizza, originating from a Chicago tavern. The family the recipe originated from, and who started the frozen pizza production, still owns the company to this day. I think it's a pretty cool story!

"In 1923, Mary and Vincent Grittani owned a small tavern on 31st Street in Chicago, Illinois, along with their daughter Loretta and son-in-law Nick Perrino. When a homerun from a nearby baseball game was hit through the tavern's window, they decided to rename the tavern Home Run Inn. In the 1940s, Mary Grittani developed the pizza recipe that is still being used today. Home Run Inn began selling frozen pizza in the 1950s, selling them in just the Chicago area.[size=8333px] [/size] In 1986 and 1996 frozen pizza manufacturing plants were constructed, one in Chicago and the second in Woodridge, Illinois. Home Run Inn is now distributing their Chicago frozen pizza to over 30 states.Home Run Inn has nine restaurant locations, four locations in Chicago and five in the Chicago suburbs.[size=8333px] [/size]In October 2019, the company announced the opening of their new restaurant next door to its original location on 31st Street in the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago.[size=8333px]"[/size]
Old January 2nd, 2023, 08:18 AM

Good morning guys,

Got up this morning with a weird feeling, having a hard time wrapping my head around it being a new year. Where in the hell does the time go??? Mild here this morning, 54° at 1000, but very foggy and drizzly. We're supposed to get some substantial rain this afternoon and evening.

Well my wife had a great start to the New Year with her furniture sales, selling 2 table and chair sets, and a decorative foyer/living room display type table over the past 3-days. Sure wish she'd sold this stuff prior to Christmas, she might have splurged on a nicer present for me!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old January 2nd, 2023, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Old January 2nd, 2023, 05:51 PM

Looks delicious Norm! My vote is for the one with the whipped cream, except you need more whipped cream!
Old January 2nd, 2023, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

The two w/ no (fresh) whipped cream demonstrate what's underneath the (fresh) whipped cream.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:36 PM

Gotcha! I love blueberries. Blueberry pies, muffins, and pancakes, I could eat everyday.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:07 PM

Better late than never. Just out of the oven, fresh strawberry and cream cheese turnovers with a light glaze icing! Just delicious!
Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

What a nice surprise letting Tiger out this morning, it was so warm! Of course that's because it's going to rain later but hey, it's January and temps are in the 70s. I'll take what I can get. My former compadre's up north are about frozen by now.

Yesterday I got the Chev out of the hangar and the roof propped up a little. Very pleased with those accomplishments. Now I need to get it to the house. My plan is to get that guy going by June. We'll see. This is one plan I really need to stick to.

So there's this house I've been driving past for the last 17 years, and never gave it a second look, and maybe about a year ago I went past and the garage door was open and there was a first gen Barracuda. All the tires were flat, about an inch of dust on it. I looked up the house and the same guy has owned it since 1977. Looks like the car has been sitting there that long. Well, from then on the garage door was open all the time and then one day new garage doors were installed and I didn't see it any more. Long story longer, I went past this weekend and people were working in the garage and the door was up and I saw the car. I was afraid it was gone. It probably will be soon, different cars are there now and the house has new garage doors and a new roof, and a dumpster out front that they are thowing all this stuff in. I'm guessing dear old dad departed and the kids are cleaning the place up. I have no idea who these people are, nor would I stop to ask about the car. I just like driving past and seeing it.

Good start to the day, so far. I hope we get out before the rain starts, but I have a few things I can do inside. I gotta change all my dates that I use. The wheel assembly actually expires, who would have thought that.

Have a good day everyone.

Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:37 AM
Always room for one more

Well that didn't take long. My robot is down. There's some sensor in the floor that tells the arm when the jig is raised to the correct height, but the sensor is tango uniform so the arm won't swing over. Works fine for the other side. Ah well, the proper department has been notified.

My robot guy said he wasn't trying to be lazy, but he couldn't build any wheels. I asked him if he could get out the torque wrench and do them by hand. Nope, he's not doing that. Hm.

Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:45 AM
Jeff

Happy New Year.

Delayed 3 things from last year into this year.
  1. Dryer dead... heating element broke again. Trying a new supplier this time.
  2. Wheels and tires on older son's Equinox. Huge improvement in ride quality from the Discount Tire-only brand that were on it to the General Altimax RT45's. Stupid tech at Discount lied about resetting the TPMS's, so I did that as soon as we got home.
  3. Rotors and pads on the Lacrosse. Not happy that the OEM rotors had defects in the casting, because they should have had plenty of life left.
Should have researched how to do brakes on a car with electric park brake (EPB) ahead of time. Also, don't rely on first couple of internet searches, because the answer you're looking for is likely going to be easier than what you find right off the bat. We're all used to compressing the caliper without having to do anything "special." Well, if your car has EPB, you need that motor to be backed off on the caliper. That's done by using a scan tool, using the procedure coded into the brake ECU, or by unhooking the electrical connector on the motor and rigging a 9-volt battery to run the motor backwards. After doing one of these three things, you can then compress the caliper so that you can put on your new pads and rotor. Thank you GM for having your brake supplier write software code to do this without a scan tool!

Red thread locker on caliper bracket bolts added lots of time to the job, too. No bloody knuckles, though. Ah, and 18mm sockets for those bolts. Guess which size is not commonly included in socket sets? Luckily, I had ONE that was part of the tools I inherited from my father-in-law. I have decided that I am going to invest some funds into my tools this year, to add more 1/2" drive sockets to the collection, and also a couple of breaker-bar length ratchets.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - Several years ago I decided fighting was no longer worth the effort and bought long-handle 1/2” breaker bars.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 09:09 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jeff - Several years ago I decided fighting was no longer worth the effort and bought long-handle 1/2” breaker bars.
Yep, that's why I'm going to be on the hunt at either garage sales, or just pony up and buy new tools. I was reading some reviews of HF impact sockets that are not encouraging (burrs on inside of sockets that prevent them from going on a 1/2" ratchet). I'm not a heavy wrencher, but I want to have the right tools to do the job from now on. I'd say at 51, it's about time, eh?

I'll also check my Dad's stash. Mom certainly doesn't need the tools, and as the only son, I'm sure my sisters won't care if I call dibs. Dad significantly downsized his tools in the past 10-20 years, though. I recognized some of his tools as being older than me, and also some that I had purchased for him over the years as gifts. Unfortunately, no big collection of sockets, though. Even into his 70's, that old pipefitter hand and forearm strength allowed him to get by on jobs that I can't match when I'm working. 😁
Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:44 PM
Always room for one more

I don't remember asking my brother or my sister if they wanted any of my Dad's tools. I just have them. I'm the only one who ever used them anyway. Lots of that stuff is older than I am, as they belonged to my granddad, and who knows who else.

We were about 30 off today and the lead was pissy. Hey, maybe if he would come around now and then he'd have a better idea what's going on, instead of being blindsided at the end of the day. He said we were starting at 4 tomorrow, and when asked if it was for overtime or 4 to 12, he just walked off. I'm thinking of having blue flu tomorrow. Phuque him.

Got home from work and sat down for a minute. Was getting ready to leave for Mom's and it poured down rain. Got over here and had dinner and was cleaning up in the kitchen and whoosh huge downpour again. Supposed to rain all night until about 10 tomorrow morning.

Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:51 PM

Spent the better part of my day hauling and carrying furniture. Wife found a really good deal on a table and 6 chair set that some folks were selling as part of an estate sale. When we got there, they also had a beautiful antique bedroom set that included a bed headboard and footboard, tall chest of drawers, and a low chest of drawers with a mirror. No way in hell we could get it in one trip. So, it took the better part of 5-hours with the driving to get it all home and inside. Sounds like fun doesn't it!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Old January 3rd, 2023, 07:19 PM

Been gone for a couple weeks on holiday, some replies,

Norm/Jim, perhaps you were thinking of the Manfred Mann song Quinn the Eskimo? Ha ha ha.

Norm, a roku fire stick and an hdmi demodulator will get that CRT streaming for about 80 bones. Edit: what Chris said. I need a modern TV.

All, I may need a whirlpool like Norm's some day soon.

Mike my grandma broke her hip at 100, and they tried rehab, but she wasn't there enough any more to get it and retain it. Soldiered on for 9 more months and passed on.

All, condolences to lost ones. I heard constipation got the King of Rock and Roll and he died on the *******, Norm. (Edit: Mike beat me to it)

We don't recycle **** (literally or metaphorically) in Evansville, or at least, most of us don't.

I had high toilets put in my house during the renovation.

Both my 72 GM cars with quadrajets take about ten seconds to fire from long sitting. I don't think that melts any starter stuff.

Nice ice pics. That looks cold.

My mom made black eyed peas for new years. I could pass on them. No cornbread or greens, she's a Hoosier farm girl by training.

I have a lot of my granddad's tools. They need derusted.

I like all pizza.

Jeff, Toyota does not want those bolts coming out, hah. I need to get a large breaker bar for water heater anode.

There, caught up.

Went home for a couple weeks. Hung out a lot with both Dad and Mom at their houses, some with my siblings. Fixed a 67 Bronco's fuel pump issues, did not get a Honda Big Red's fuel issues fixed. Dug out my dad's sprinklers. He needs major dock and shed work after the second FL hurricane. Cooked a lot with Mom. Made cheesecake, macaroni, yankee ribs, a squash dish, scalloped potatoes, chicken scallopeni, fettuccine alfredo, chicken parmesan, tapioca, custard, and probably some other stuff too. Fixed a pistol, looked at lots of knives and straight razors, and ammo, and found all my Boy Scout stuff. Had two good Christmas meals. Got two new M-65 style field jackets in my size again and had the sleeves hemmed by Mom to fit right. Drove some 2200 miles. Met Rickw30 at his place some 15 miles from my dad's house and bought parts and hung out. Took Mom's beagle to the beach. I rented a Dodge Charger GT and was happy with it. It was cold for a week, then warm. Missed the Christmas Snowstorm Chris got. House did fine here without me.

Drained water heater last night, the drain faucet is not as fast as it used to be. I tried to blast it open with house pressure for only some improvement.

Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:35 PM

Just curious, what did fix did you to the pistol? Old habits are hard for me to get over. On a side note, I reloaded 50 K Hornet for the Old Man, shoots squirrels with a 1885 low wall Winchester still at 96...Tedd
Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:52 PM

John,
My 14” breaker bar didn’t do it for the anode rod on my newly purchased heater. I wanted to ensure it was loose enough to be easily removed in the future before installing the heater, and OMG that thing was tight. I wailed on it with the air impact at 120 psi for 10 minutes before it finally came loose. No way the average homeowner would ever get that thing loose. I reinstalled it to “snug” with a hand ratchet; no leaks and it came out easily at the next inspection interval.
Old January 4th, 2023, 02:22 AM
Running On Empty

I've changed an anode maybe 7-8 times in my life - they're all same. I suspect torque is ~400 lb-ft when they leave factory/assembly manufacturer & I'm pretty certain each I've removed had pipe cement on threads. I use a breaker bar with a very long hollow steel pipe (as extension) over the breaker bar. I've changed anode on my current H2O water x3 times over past 20 years using my electrical conduit bender. The heavy gauge steel pipe unscrews from the curved bender (business) end & makes short order for anode removal and re-installation. In combination it yields ~3' breaker bar.

Old January 4th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Running On Empty

The large bolts employed to fasten the shear pins/hinges of a wing to the fuselage on large commercial/military aircraft have a torque value of ~ 2,000 lb-ft. There are other applications (think skyscrapers, spanning cable bridges, etc.) with torque values I believe exceed 2,000 lb-ft. For these type applications they employ a torque wrench driven by a hydraulic ram. The largest I've personally seen was a (hydraulic ram) torque wrench ~8' - 12' in length to fasten wings nuts/bolts which secure the wings to fuselage of the C-141 military aircraft during major isochronal inspections.
Old January 4th, 2023, 04:01 AM
Running On Empty

John - You cooked some fine meals with your Mom & Dad happy you had a very enjoyable visit/trip.
Old January 4th, 2023, 05:28 AM

John Actually we dohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I used this stuff for the first time spring of '22, and will be using it again this year. I found that it worked better than Scott's brand, although it has no weed control in it.
Old January 4th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Good morning guys,

I knew it was very nice out here all day yesterday, but I wasn't getting much enjoyment out of it moving furniture most of the day yesterday. Apparently, we set an all time high temperature record for January 3rd, 72° F! Bottom dropped out during the night and I don't think it's supposed to get over 45° today.

Staying with the weather theme, I'm seeing on the news where another one of those Bomb-Cyclone type storms is coming onshore to California and they're going to get hammered, on top of already getting substantial rain over the past week or two. We've read Tedd's posts about the rain he's had recently (not really sure exactly where he's at), and I know he's in the mountains, so I'm hoping this next major round does not cause flooding or mudslide problems for him in his area.

My wife is on a roll, she may have sold another piece already. A lady is coming to look at it at 1100 today.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old January 4th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

Old January 4th, 2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Show off, I hope you gain 10-lbs!
Old January 4th, 2023, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Show off, I hope you gain 10-lbs!
Old January 4th, 2023, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - That strawberry/cream turnover you had looked awfully damn good.
Old January 4th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

Sold my '87 Fender American Stratocaster...down to one acoustic 6-string Ibanez.
Old January 4th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Chris I've been wondering myself about Norms Air Force jacket
Old January 4th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Yes, it still fits.
Old January 4th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Suggestion: Why don't you change your Vista Cruiser original Post #1 to read $25,000. I believe you'd be better off capturing a viewer's attention right out of the gate. If they're not interested at $35,000 it's doubtful they'll read threw all the posts to finally arrive at a price of $25,000.
Old January 4th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Tedd, the pistol is a 4 barrel set Dan Wesson .357. We ordered a new wrench last time around, the barrel was jammed on, so the 'fix' was disassembly and serious cleaning of deposits in all 4 barrels and reassembly. Interesting assembly, you screw the new barrel in till it bottoms out on a feeler gauge of 6 thousandths off the cylinder face, then put the shroud on, then a nut on the front of the barrel to hold the shroud, and tighten enough to lock it all up without murdering the feeler gauge, then pull gauge. This allows space in between forcing cone and cylinder, but also allows the barrel to stop somehow so you can tighten nut against it without spinning the barrel. I put the shortest barrel on it for better storage.
Old January 4th, 2023, 03:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Turned out to be a nice day, sunny and warm. We had lots of rain yesterday, and last night, and early this morning. Gonna be nice a couple days and then rain again. WTF. But we can't use water outside during the day because we're in a drought.

Set the alarm for the regular 4am, texted the lead that I was staying home, and went back to sleep until almost 10. Geez this is a bad habit I'm getting into. Used to be I couldn't stay in bed past 8. Well, look at all the money I'm saving. If I don't get up by 7 and out the door, it's too late for Awful house.

John glad you had a good trip. I'm guessing you flew to Florida? I often wonder what my relationship with my Dad would be if he were still around, or where I'd have ended up.

Jamesbo wait until April Fools and put $10K on the VC and see how much interest you get.

So you have to use a cheater bar on your breaker bar to change the anode in the water heater? Apparently the water heater manufacturer thinks that thing is going to hold the house together. The nuts that hold the wheels on the big planes are around 400ft lbs. We use a 4 foot torque wrench to loosen/tighten them.

Took Mom to the doctor this afternoon. It's been two weeks since surgery and the doctor said everything is healing up nice. Gave her some tips for getting around and getting stronger.

Okay, gonna get cleaned up in the kitchen a little then watch a little TV then go home and hit the sack. Since I wasn't at work today I don't know the latest shitty rule the lead has come up with, so I can go in at 6 like normal and not worry about it. Hm, I wouldn't really worry about it anyway. Have a good evening everyone.

Old January 4th, 2023, 03:31 PM

Norm Tanks for the suggestion DONE
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:02 PM

Dan Wesson is unique in their ease of barrel swaps and 6 thousands is just about what most revolvers are set at, more and you get excessive powder and bullet spit (if alignment of cylinder isn't exact). Tedd
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Apparently the water heater manufacturer thinks that thing is going to hold the house together.
Yeah, that’s what my impression was as well.
Old January 4th, 2023, 06:27 PM

I'm in the middle of the monsoon as I type, a little scary. The rain doesn't bother me much, but the wind gusts are very worrisome as trees will up root pretty easily with the rain we have had, besides I live in a forest, so there is no shortage of trees around the house. The good, It's right on the edge of being cold enough to snow, but so far not much whiteness. If you look at a map of northern California and find Chico, I'm about 30 miles east off hwy 32. Past the little town of Forest Ranch, about 7 miles. Come on up, the coffee is on...Tedd
Old January 4th, 2023, 07:09 PM

John - Glad you had such a nice holiday break with your folks!

Norm - Thanks for the compliment on the strawberry/cream cheese turnovers. As usual, wifey gets all the credit, I'll let her know. To my surprise they were even delcious re-warmed this morning in the microwave. Also glad to hear you sold your guitar!

Mike - Really happy for your Mom and you that she got a good progress report from her Doc!

Tedd - Hope things don't get too hairy up there in the deluge! I'll definitely take a gander at where you're located, thanks!

My wife did sell that piece the lady was coming to look at this morning. It was this one.

She bought this piece for $15 and sold it for $600, not a bad profit! This is the one that could be worth as much as $1,600 in pristine original condition.

Just got back about an hour ago from a visitation for a 9-year old little girl who lost her 4-year battle with cancer. She was the Grand-Niece of my wife's best friend in Highschool. So sad, it just makes me ill to think of what her parents, siblings, and the rest of the family are going through!

I hope you guys had a great day!
Old January 4th, 2023, 07:23 PM

Tedd - I checked out your location on Google Maps satellite imagery. Very pretty country, and that Hwy 32 looks like it would be a blast to ride on my motorcycle!