The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2022, 05:54 PM
Always room for one more

Norm my dryer has multiple problems, and by the time I got them all fixed I'd be into a new dryer anyway. Just working towards it.

I actually abbreviate all that about the brass bra by ending with, in February.

Just got back from seeing Mom. I don't get it. She's having a lot of pain, the gastro stuff is back, and no one can seem to do anything about it. This hip business was supposed to help her, but so far it's been nothing but more pain and grief. And people keep asking when I'm going to have it done. Um, never.

No 60s until next Thursday. But it will warm up a little before then. Oy.

Think I'll collect Tiger and head home. Every day this week I was going to get up early and go to the Awful house. Didn't do it, I'd wake up and it would be more pleasant in bed than the cold house. Maybe tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 24th, 2022, 04:18 AM

Well, it's Christmas eve! Merry Christmas to you all! I'm gonna have to see if I can find "It's a wonderful life" on the tube tonight- love that show, though a bit to long in the middle. Plenty of snow here so Santa show be able to travel easily.
Old December 24th, 2022, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Just got back from seeing Mom. I don't get it. She's having a lot of pain, the gastro stuff is back, and no one can seem to do anything about it. This hip business was supposed to help her, but so far it's been nothing but more pain and grief. And people keep asking when I'm going to have it done. Um, never.
Mike - Try not to get too discouraged yet, it's only been 4-days since your Mom's surgery, and if she had a full hip replacement, that's a pretty major surgery and it takes the elderly longer to recover. Also, there are multiple newly introduced factors that could be causing the return of her gastro issues, the two that immediately pop into my mind are a change in her diet and her pain medication. It's going to take a little time, and some work on her part (PT), before she starts feeling better, and the pain gradually goes away. Don't abandon ship yet, encouragement is the best medicine you can give her right now! Wishing you both all the best!
Old December 24th, 2022, 05:31 AM

Merry Christmas Eve all!!

Greg mentioned wanting to watch It's a Wonderful Life this evening, such a classic! Me, I've got to get my Christmas fix by watching A Christmas Story. How could I not when the main character is named "Ralphie", and one of the famous quotes from the movie is, "Some men are Baptists, Some are Catholics, My Father was an Oldsmobile Man". Ya just gotta love it! After I was an adult, everytime I'd be back in Michigan at Christmas time, my brother and I would get together and watch the movie, have a few too many beers, and laugh our ***** off! It became a tradition that as a gag gift he would buy me a figurine depicting some scene from the movie. I have the house, the car, and all the characters in most of the iconic scenes that occur in the movie that go on display every Christmas. Certainly some of my most treasured possessions!

Merry Christmas from "Ralphie""
Old December 24th, 2022, 08:55 AM

Got the driveways done yesterday, everybody had a drift or two to clear out. My thumbs were stinging by the time that I got home, and i was in a rush to get my gear off and warmed up, so I hit the button for the the garage door, it started to close, and I went inside. A couple of hours later I put a bag trash out in the garage to take out when it gets a little warmer, and see that the garage door is wide open with snow on the first couple of feet of the floor. WTH? Hit the button, and it went about 6 inches before retreating back up, tried it a couple of more times with the same result, hit and held the button, and it closed. went out this am, and did not see any obstruction to the sensors. At least my blower was still there. Yesterday morning before work, my snow gauge showed 9" of snow on the ground, it still shows 9", Non stop snowing and blowing, just ain't accumulating there. I have a couple of drifts about hip deep and twenty feet long across the yard, and a small one right in front of the shed, where the doors are, where the gas can is located, of course. if I need to refill the blower, I'll have to grab a shovel to get to the shed. a lot of accidents in the area, and a chain reaction pile up in Ohio, not good. But wait there's more! temps to be in the mid to upper 40's by new years weekend. Go figure.
Old December 24th, 2022, 09:00 AM

Mike, tell your mom to hang in there things will get better, I've had 6 major joint replacements , some better than others, but all are less pain than what I started out with. Do her rehab like the doctors advise and don't cut corners. For me, I found that if I pushed as hard as I could stand early, my recovery was lots quicker in the end. Best of luck for your Mom.

As far as never getting a replacement, let your pain be your guide. There will be a time when you will be disabled to the point that it is just not worth not getting it done, your body will tell you. Been there done that. Cortisone does help me postpone operations, but it is a temporary fix with side effects and pain pills long term can be dangerous as we all know now. No easy answers, but don't give in...Tedd
Old December 24th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Had to build a fire next to the concrete well casing Even though its pack with insulation the main line coming out of the well froze A little fire wood + gasoline and am back in business [indoor plumbing]
Old December 24th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thought I heard of a 100 car pileup on I-94, Michigan?
Old December 24th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thanks guys. I just hate to see Mom in that much pain. I saw her briefly this morning and she was much better. There were doctors and nurses there all night helping her and she said she had a good night. I got there just as the nurse was going to help her take a shower. I don't need to be part of that process!

When I was driving this morning the radio guy said it was 10.4 degrees. Later he said it was 9. Not as much wind today but still damn cold. Tiger is not phased by the cold.

Jamesbo if you run out of gasoline I've used acetone to get the fire going. It even looks like sparklers on the 4th of July. Diesel works well also but smokes a little indoors.

Did the Awful house for an early lunch. My sister texted me and woke me up at 9. Uh, ya, um, I'm about ready to go see Mom. Just headed out the door. Uh huh.

Okay yesterday we got some sandwich stuff and I'm going to take it over and my sister will be there and that will be our Christmas Eve dinner. Sandwich stuff. Sounds good to me. Have a good Christmas Eve everyone. It's A Wonderful Life is one movie I've never seen. Gasp!

Old December 24th, 2022, 02:51 PM

Thought I heard of a 100 car pileup on I-94, Michigan?
Norm, I haven't seen anything on that. Did a quick search, but turned up nothing.
Old December 24th, 2022, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, I haven't seen anything on that. Did a quick search, but turned up nothing.
Hi Dan - I checked, as well & found nothing. I was listening to the news very early (maybe too early) this morning.
Old December 24th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Always room for one more

Just got back from seeing Mom. Went about 2, my sister and her husband went and we had ham and salami sandwiches for our Christmas Eve dinner. It was nice, actually, we just talked and relaxed. I think lots of people did that there. Tomorrow we're baking a lasagna and taking it and some other things for a nicer meal. She did a lot better today and felt like she'd have a good night. I'm so relieved.

It got up to a roaring 26 today, but back down in the basement tonight. Thirties next week up to 60s. Okay that was fun let's end this game.

Gonna hit the sack early tonight, maybe I can get up early for Awful house. I've fallen into a bad habit sleeping in every morning. It will be a rude awakening when I have to get up at 4 for work. I'm twitching just thinking about it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Old December 24th, 2022, 08:54 PM

It was nice, actually, we just talked and relaxed. I think lots of people did that there. Tomorrow we're baking a lasagna and taking it and some other things for a nicer meal. She did a lot better today and felt like she'd have a good night. I'm so relieved.
Mike - That's wonderful, I'm glad you all had a great day! 👍
Old December 24th, 2022, 11:05 PM

Mike, Moms progress is the kind of Christmas present you wanted merry Christmas Olds friends
Old December 25th, 2022, 04:30 AM
Running On Empty

Feliz Navidad
Old December 25th, 2022, 05:03 AM

Merry Christmas Olds' Friends!

We went over to my BIL's house yesterday afternoon, and to my youngest daughter's house yesterday evening, to take presents to all the Kids and Grandkids. Way too much good food, I know because I think I sampled everything! Just Momma and I here today, should be quiet, cozy, and warm with our fur babies.
Hope you all have a wonderful day and be safe!

Dawn and her brother

Grandma, Gabe, Grandpa, and Keegan
Old December 25th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Always room for one more

Vrolijk kerstfeest

Santa brought me a beautiful sunny morning. Yes I slept in again. I figured, all those times I couldn't sleep in, now I'm catching up. Awful house will be packed all day, I don't need to get into that mess.

Came over early to get some laundry done, my sister should be here in about an hour. Her husband flies back to Orlando this evening so we're going to eat sort of early. I don't mind.

Hope everyone has a nice day doing whatever you're doing. Things look good from here.

Vrolijk kerstfeest (Merry Christmas in Dutch)

Old December 25th, 2022, 08:32 AM
Running On Empty

Awful house will be packed all day, I don't need to get into that mess.
Mike - Smart move. I might be in the minority but I'm delighted Waffle House remains open 365 days of the year. IMO, for many folks across our country Waffle House is a staple to those less fortunate and provides warmth & food during a time when many have no families, few friends, limited incomes & get by on a paltry subsistence. Not that you, Mike, fit into any of these categories - it's just nice folks have a place for the holidays.
Old December 25th, 2022, 08:48 AM
Always room for one more

A lot of people get their Christmas dinner in the oven then go to Awful house for something while they wait. Yes a lot of people are alone and don't want to make a big meal for one. A lot of people say screw it, Awful house would be more fun than making a big mess at home.

It used to be the owners would pick a store and go work all day. Now that they're gone their children send holiday messages from European vacations. Hm.

If it was just me I might have gone in and just had a good time. On Christmas, the whole place is up for grabs, the customers and the employees. A big free-for-all.

Ah, Awful house.

Old December 25th, 2022, 11:27 AM

Mike did you put your clogs out on the front porch so Santa could fill them up with goodies [like scattered/smothered and covered has browns]
Old December 25th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - The Dutch celebrate Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas' Eve) December 5th.
Old December 25th, 2022, 01:38 PM

oops
Old December 25th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Watched "It's a wonderful life" last night. Yeah it gets too long in the middle.
Yesterday 3 of us guys went out on the first snowmobile ride of this winter. It was very cold, but if bundled up properly it is fun and comfortable. Only problem I have when it is really cold (aprx 15 above and lower) is my shield gets frosty and can't see well. That is frustrating. Did about 50 miles. You can spend big bucks on snowmobiling. I should get a fancy helmet with heated visor and the whole works but they are about $500.00. Where I live you can get a lot of snow or very little in a season. I can buy a machine and just go around here if enough snow, or I could trailer up to the Upper Peninsula, rent a lodge, pay gas up and back, have expensive machines for wifey and I and good helmets and suits( they can be $1000.00. ) So, I've been trying to do it on the cheap.
Hope Santa was good to ya. Oh wait, prolly not- you guys have been baaaaaddd....
Old December 25th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers

So, I've been trying to do it on the cheap.
Hope Santa was good to ya. Oh wait, prolly not- you guys have been baaaaaddd....
Is there a motorsport you can do cheap???
Hope ya had a great Christmas Greg!
Old December 25th, 2022, 05:34 PM
Always room for one more

Had a really nice time this afternoon. We baked a lasagna and took it up to Mom's place and garlic bread, and chocolate pie for dessert. Mom really enjoyed it. My sister and her husband left early so he could get to the airport, I stayed a couple hours more, got to talk to my brother, and just as I was leaving my aunt called. I'm here to tell you Christmas doesn't have to be fancy. We ate on paper plates and plastic cups and no one cared, the food was good and so was the company.

Greg please don't go getting all high falootin' with your snow gear. We like purple Elvis! I think we need a current picture. That's one movie I've never seen, It's a Wonderful Life. Another one I haven't seen, Miracle on 34th Street.

You know what I haven't seen in years? Charlie Brown's Christmas. Although I listen to Linus and Lucy all the time. That's probably my third favorite song.

Jamesbo I don't do anything Dutch. I don't know how my parents found out I was Dutch. I would like to visit over there. I can order wooden shoes off the internet. Maybe I'll do that to display proudly in my home.

Nice looking family Chris. Do you ever get everyone together, all sides of both sides, and have a big holiday bash? That would be a lot of people. The pups might hide for the day.

Well got cleaned up in the kitchen a little bit and I think Tiger and I will head to the house. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and we'll reset for the next one tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 25th, 2022, 08:40 PM

Mike - Glad you had a nice Christmas with your Mom and Sister!

Yes, we have joint get togethers with all the kids and grandkids from both sides at the same time, and you're right, it's a pretty big group, so we usually have those when it's nice enough for folks to be outside.
Old December 26th, 2022, 08:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and it seems a little warmer, but there's ice on the lake where it isn't so deep. Still winter.

Got plenty to do today. Groceries, a couple phone calls, go see Mom. My sister thinks she's going to fix dinner for me all week. I don't know why, she doesn't fix dinner for her husband. I realize she has to eat as well, but she feels obligated since Mom's been fixing dinner all this time. I said, I lived here by myself a long time, I'm not going to starve. Eh, who knows. She also says she's going to clean house.

So for you dog people, what can I put in Tiger's food that will clear up a mild skin condition? With it this cold his skin gets awful dry and he licks and bites and scratches. I don't want some expensive supplement and I have special shampoo, which I'm not giving him a bath now, I suppose I could look it up.

Okay off to a busy afternoon. Gotta end early so I can get ready for work tomorrow. Yick. I've really enjoyed sleeping in this past week and lollygagging around in the mornings. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old December 26th, 2022, 09:23 AM

So for you dog people, what can I put in Tiger's food that will clear up a mild skin condition? With it this cold his skin gets awful dry and he licks and bites and scratches. I don't want some expensive supplement and I have special shampoo, which I'm not giving him a bath now, I suppose I could look it up.
Mike - I wish I had some better answers for you. Monty has itchy skin issues, but the only real thing we've found that helps him much is the medicated shampoo baths, and that only helps for awhile. We can wash him in the tub, and because his coat is so short and fine he dries very fast. Completely understand why you don't want to try and bathe Tiger with the weather like it is. Good luck!
Old December 26th, 2022, 10:23 AM

Recycling day. I despise sorting cans/bottles/ correct kind of plastic
Old December 26th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Recycling day. I despise sorting cans/bottles/ correct kind of plastic
Jim - Personally, I don't like it either. However, our trash service makes it relatively easy here by providing a separate recycling can that is picked up on a separate day. Guess it's the least I can do for the environment and my grandchildrens' future, but it's "just another thing to have to do"!
Old December 26th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Chris, I'm all for saving the Orb but my stupid city has NO recycling except a glass dumpster at a near by park Trash is collected by pre madonnas [mafia owned companies] that wont pick it up if its not properly bagged and set where minimum effort is required to toss it in the truck Sooooooooooooooooooo I take it to the mountains where they have different bins for paper/cardboard/glass/aluminum / and No. 2 plastic As In sure you can imagine a couple of weeks [didn't go during Christmas] can leave one [me] with a good deal of recycle materials
Old December 26th, 2022, 12:31 PM
Running On Empty

Major heat wave here today - reached 43°F. Finished a tier of painting & tore down that tier of scaffolding, then applied a 1st coat from the next lower tier. Managed to pick up fallen limbs, twigs, etc. around the yard. Noticed one shingle "tab" was torn off, found it & cemented it back down. Monster pizza next.
Old December 26th, 2022, 12:37 PM

Our recycle bin is at the landfill or at the closer township hall on the 1st full weekend of the month. There are different sections- comingled- newspaper and cardboard. Most all of it is comingled. I wonder who sorts it. It must be a mess! But they make it real easy to do- basically no policing at all!!
Old December 26th, 2022, 01:16 PM

What i know about recycling wouldn't fill a thimble. The glass recycling dumpster down here is dump every color in the same bin. In the mountains its sorted buy glass color brown/green/clear I find it a little odd that the small mountain county has a more sophisticate recycling program than this fancy county I live in
Old December 26th, 2022, 01:19 PM

Sounds like I probably have it the easiest on this recycling business if you're inclined to do it. They supply the can, no sorting on my part (other than recyclables from trash), and I don't have to haul it. I am paying for it though as part of my City Water, Sewer, Trash bill.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 26th, 2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 26th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

I find it a little odd that the small mountain county has a more sophisticate recycling program than this fancy county I live in
Maybe a program the douche hole Beverly Hall had a say in forming or one of her 35 a$$ wipes?
Old December 26th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Maybe a program the douche hole Beverly Hall had a say in forming or one of her 35 a$$ wipes?
Sorry Norm no comprende
Old December 26th, 2022, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm getting a little too carried away. She was the Atlanta Superintendent of Education who was indicted for creating the testing score(s) scheme (along w/ 35 others). It was a huge debacle and really pissed me off. Unfortunately she died of breast cancer prior to trial. I was likening the recycling program of your fancy county with the type of shenanigans she pulled off thinking maybe she was involved (tongue-in-cheek).
Old December 26th, 2022, 02:37 PM

Norm Gotcha but in Fulton county We have so many crooks ya need a program to keep up. I [years ago] saw the tax assessor at the $100 window at the horse track. I wonder who needed a re evaluation
Old December 26th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Running On Empty

We have so many crooks ya need a program to keep up.
That's humorous. Good one.