The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2022, 07:10 AM

Norm, Another note about Hogs, when they get to selling weight you sell no matter what the price is, Russian Roulette of raising hogs
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:28 AM

Norm - Trust me when I say I am well aware of contractor vs. subcontractor relationships and liabilities having managed multi-million dollar contracts for the Feds that involved a host of subcontractors. I have a contract with the Roofing Company to do the described work, without damage to any other property at my residence. That is why companies are Bonded and Insured correct? I sincerely believe my Roofing Company is totally liable for the damage to my driveway, and would be held liable if I were to sue them for the damage. They in turn, would then have to get their compensation from the subcontractor.
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Trust me when I say I am well aware of contractor vs. subcontractor relationships and liabilities having managed multi-million dollar contracts for the Feds that involved a host of subcontractors. I have a contract with the Roofing Company to do the described work, without damage to any other property at my residence. That is why companies are Bonded and Insured correct? I sincerely believe my Roofing Company is totally liable for the damage to my driveway, and would be held liable if I were to sue them for the damage. They in turn, would then have to get their compensation from the subcontractor.
yep
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
yep
HA! Take that Norm! Oh, sorry, got carried away. I certainly hope it is this easy, however I'm sure the contractor will try to get out of it. Another scenario, someone comes back with a pressure washer and removes the stains.

Chili dogs for lunch today, how lucky am I.

Old October 6th, 2022, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
HA! Take that Norm! Oh, sorry, got carried away. I certainly hope it is this easy, however I'm sure the contractor will try to get out of it. Another scenario, someone comes back with a pressure washer and removes the stains.
I just have a normal gas powered pressure washer. I went out to my driveway as soon as the delivery guys left yesterday. First I wiped up the excess fluids, then I put a thick layer of x3 Ultra Stength Dawn detergent on all the spots, then worked it into the spots with stiff wire brush. Then, I let them sit for an hour, and then power washed with the highest psi nozzle. Much better, but did not remove the stains. Multiple iterations might help, or I was thinking muriatic acid?
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:50 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, Another note about Hogs, when they get to selling weight you sell no matter what the price is, Russian Roulette of raising hogs
Of course you do...it's necessitated. You can only handle so many swine & these farms are tiny. With 60K+ swine farms in the U.S. the average swine farm maintains ~5,000 - 7,000 swine. Pork bellies baby.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 6th, 2022 at 07:55 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:52 AM
Running On Empty

I agree - you are, in fact, correct.
Old October 6th, 2022, 07:54 AM
Running On Empty

Culligan man here & gone...my work day can begin.
Old October 6th, 2022, 08:05 AM
Running On Empty

I was thinking muriatic acid?
Muriatic acid (HCl - Hydrochoric acid) will/can remove the stains depending on how deep they have already migrated into the concrete; but, HCl works by dissolving the lime contained w/in the concrete mix. You'd have to use a ton of HCl to remove any significant amounts of lime, but the simple answer is yes to muriatic acid.
Old October 6th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Muriatic acid (HCl - Hydrochoric acid) will/can remove the stains depending on how deep they have already migrated into the concrete; but, HCl works by dissolving the lime contained w/in the concrete mix. You'd have to use a ton of HCl to remove any significant amounts of lime, but the simple answer is yes to muriatic acid.
Norm - Thanks for confirming. I'm assuming the same strength as would be used to clean a concrete pool or patio surface would be safe without damage to the driveway???
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:12 AM

Hi guys. Down in tampa for redcross, tryimg to use phone nptgood see if thos works
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:14 AM

Looks like that works. It's been it's been very chaotic weather is great down here now we are going to Daytona Beach from Tampa I personally have not been in to see any of the huge damage like there is at Fort Myers I'm thinking I'll never do another one of these things it's just not in my wheelhouse. Hope you guys are doing well when I get back I'll try to get on my laptop and actually update you a little bit
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Looks like that works. It's been it's been very chaotic weather is great down here now we are going to Daytona Beach from Tampa I personally have not been in to see any of the huge damage like there is at Fort Myers I'm thinking I'll never do another one of these things it's just not in my wheelhouse. Hope you guys are doing well when I get back I'll try to get on my laptop and actually update you a little bit
Greg - It looks extremely chaotic and difficult down there from all the coverage I've seen on TV. Again, good on you for doing what you can to help those in need. Be safe and we'll talk to ya more when you're home!
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Running On Empty

Chris, yes.
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:24 AM

Chris, yes.
Tanks!
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Running On Empty

Up & down, up & down, clean, caulk, up & down, caulk, paint, up & down, up & down. Gorgeous day - for painting? I ain’t right in the head.
Old October 6th, 2022, 09:46 AM

Up & down, up & down, clean, caulk, up & down, caulk, paint, up & down, up & down. Gorgeous day - for painting? I ain’t right in the head.
Tough job, you should sleep well tonight! I'd trade ya in a heartbeat. With Monty injured, both dogs freaked from all the noise, and the Wife stressed to the max because of the dog situation, I'd love to leave, but then I wouldn't be allowed back in! Just sitting here in silent support, and carrying Monty up and down the steps to the backyard when he needs to go. Really, really hoping and praying he hasn't torn something completely. He is putting a little weight on it, but not much!
Old October 6th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Running On Empty

I'd trade ya in a heartbeat.
OK Bring it.
Old October 6th, 2022, 10:17 AM

OK Bring it.
Old October 6th, 2022, 10:38 AM

Here ya go Norm

Old October 6th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Running On Empty

I hear ya Jim - better eye contact.
Old October 6th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Jeff

Chris, if you're not already aware... look for dog food or supplemental treats that have glucosamine. The Simply Nourish brand of dry food has an adult blend that contains it, so I mix that in with a another bag of food. Keeps our pug's joints happy, and adds a pep to his step. We saw almost immediate results with our dog.
Old October 6th, 2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, if you're not already aware... look for dog food or supplemental treats that have glucosamine. The Simply Nourish brand of dry food has an adult blend that contains it, so I mix that in with a another bag of food. Keeps our pug's joints happy, and adds a pep to his step. We saw almost immediate results with our dog.
Jeff - Good tip, thanks! We've already got Maggie (the other one) on glucosamine tabs for her chronic rear hip issue. We think (guessing really) that Monty's current issue is a muscle or tendon/ligament strain, but it might also be a joint issue, so it probably wouldn't hurt to start him on the glucosamine too, just in case it's a joint issue. Monty has been the picture of health until his recent issues. He's the thin, very muscular, athletic one of the two, and weren't expecting him to come up lame!
Old October 6th, 2022, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

I gave my other dogs glucosamine in their food every day. I haven't started Tiger on that yet. Speaking of the other dogs, they would have come unglued when I had my roof put on, so I took them to board for the day. They never heard a thing. Chris how old are the dogs? Could be they are just wearing down.

Got out of work at 235. The lead kept on about finishing and I thought, if you wouldn't have been pontificating for 40 minutes we'd be done by now. We're working Saturday but not Sunday. Works for me.

Norm I've got some rotten siding on the house but I don't have any scaffolding. I think if I park the big truck next to the house I can reach it from a ladder.

Time to relax.

Old October 6th, 2022, 03:15 PM

I gave my other dogs glucosamine in their food every day. I haven't started Tiger on that yet. Speaking of the other dogs, they would have come unglued when I had my roof put on, so I took them to board for the day. They never heard a thing. Chris how old are the dogs? Could be they are just wearing down.
Mike - Monty's 6, which is middle aged for a Bulldog. Maggie is only 4, but she's a chunky one, which doesn't help her hip issues any. We're trying to get some weight off her to help her. It's going slow, but she's lost about 4-lbs now and we think we're seeing improvement. Bulldogs are susceptible to hip dysplasia just like German Sheperds.
Old October 6th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Norm I've got some rotten siding on the house but I don't have any scaffolding. I think if I park the big truck next to the house I can reach it from a ladder.
Mike - You have a death wish?
Old October 6th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Mike - You have a death wish?
Made me think of this episode

Old October 6th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Made me think of this episode
Love it.
Old October 6th, 2022, 06:33 PM

That show will always put a smile on my face no matter what kind of day I have had.

"Keep your stick on the ice" Ay
Old October 6th, 2022, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
That show will always put a smile on my face no matter what kind of day I have had.

"Keep your stick on the ice" Ay
"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"
Old October 6th, 2022, 06:49 PM

Old October 7th, 2022, 04:25 AM

Good morning guys,

Well, sort of. Woke up at 4 and could not get back to sleep. Tossed and turned until 4:30 and got up. Guess I shouldn't be bitchin because I used to be up at 4:30 every morning when I was still working, but it's been easy to get used to sleeping in until 6:30 or 7:00.

Roofers were just getting done and packing up as the sun was setting around 6:30 yesterday evening. The guy that was supposed to be my Project Lead, and who did my estimate, never did make it to my place yesterday, but his Dad, the company owner, was there all day from 0700 until they left. He didn't ask for the 1st installment payment, and I didn't offer, and there was no further discussion about the driveway, yet. There really was no time for a walk around because we were already losing light. They did do a good job from what I could see of cleaning up the job site before they left. I'll go out later this morning and get a thorough look at the roof, and do a close inspection for nails in the backyard. They did sweep the area with the large heavy magnets before they left. A different crew is supposed to be back on Monday to do the gutters and downspouts. I'm going to ask the Project Lead to be there to do a final walk through with me and take pictures.

Taking my wife to her oldest daughter's house this afternoon so she can have a sleep over with our two granddaughters tonight. Her daughter is going to bring her home Saturday morning because I am still planning on going to a car show. I am hoping Monty shows at least some improvement with his lameness today, and still hoping it's just a strain/sprain.

Enough of my rambling, hope ya'll have a great day!
Old October 7th, 2022, 04:47 AM

Headed Norte. Have a great weekend Olds friends and Hoping Monty improves
Old October 7th, 2022, 05:03 AM

Jim - Thanks for the well wishes for Monty, and wishing you safe travels north!
Old October 7th, 2022, 06:07 AM
Jeff

Chris, after the job is done, keep an eye on your downspouts for stray nails coming down. I had my roof done around '17, and I'm still finding nails coming out of the downspouts. Those plastic accordion extenders really hold on to them, and it didn't even occur to me to dump them out until this summer.
Old October 7th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The overtime people signed a lot of wheels and we worked towards a reduced number. So we're about to depart. Can't beat that. I might get something done today.

Something I need to try is to revitalize a 5 year old battery. I bought a battery for the first blue Suburban at the time I got one for the pickup, and never started it. So it's been sitting dead for a long time. I'm wondering if I gave it a slow charge if it would come up and be viable. That would save me about a hundred bucks but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work. We'll see.

Norm don't worry, I'll set the parking brake.

Okay gonna prepare to depart. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old October 7th, 2022, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, after the job is done, keep an eye on your downspouts for stray nails coming down. I had my roof done around '17, and I'm still finding nails coming out of the downspouts. Those plastic accordion extenders really hold on to them, and it didn't even occur to me to dump them out until this summer.
Jeff - Another great tip! However, the roofer is coming back on Monday next week to replace all the gutters and downspouts. I ought to be good to go. Insurance is only covering the gutters and downspouts on 2 sides of the house that were exposed to the prevailing wind at the time of the hail storm, but I am having them replace them all so they don't look odd, faded vs new.
Old October 7th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Norm don't worry, I'll set the parking brake.
Good deal...no worries then.
Old October 7th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Chicken glazed in a mixture of soy sauce honey, garlic. With rice broccoli and pears
Old October 7th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - It looks good. That's an interesting combination. Nice. It's something I would normally not think of creating.