The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2022, 10:13 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I was following that 442 Chevelle grille.
Old September 15th, 2022, 10:33 AM
Running On Empty

Old September 15th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Greg, I'm headed to Purestock this weekend. Tedd, sorry to hear about your cousin's place. Norm, looks pretty yummy. I priced filet mignon last Christmas, and even with a $25 gift card from my employer for the meat shop, it was still too much.
Old September 15th, 2022, 01:33 PM

Norm - That is a prime filet, pre and post-cooked, nicely done, I'm sure it was tasty.

Tedd - Sorry for your cousin's loss, that's horrible, I hope things work out OK for him!

Got up and went to the garage and got all 4-wheels polished on the car. I had got a text yesterday from one of my best friends, who retired from the same place I did, reminding me that the work picnic was today. I had forgotten all about it, as I hadn't put it in my online calendar. After I finished the wheels, I came in and did my workout and then got ready to go to the picnic. Went to the picnic from 1100 until about 1430. It was nice, they had hamburgers, bratwurst, and hotdogs, with baked beans, potato salad, and cole slaw. I took a few barley pops to wash all the good food down. There were 5 or 6 other retirees and a few other close friends still working there that I hadn't seen in 2 or 3-years that were really nice to see. Glad I made the time to go!

I'll finish the car up in the morning, probably not an hours work left at most. Weather looks good for the car show during the day Saturday, then the Festus Mayor's Cruisin Main Street event early Saturday evening. Two events in the same day, sounds great after last weekends washout.

Old September 15th, 2022, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

Caulk, sand, prime, caulk, sand, caulk, prime, up/down, up/down, down/up, mix paint, stir paint, clean brush, top coat, more prime, caulk, sand, up/down, clean brushes, more paint, up/down, down/up….somewhere there’s a theme here.
Old September 15th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I haven’t bought filet in quite some time. My tongue dropped to the floor when I looked at the price.

Chris - It was delicious.
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:01 PM

Norm, I use butter and use a grill

Have you ever used "Steak paint' [basically beef fat juices with salt.pepper,.garlic powder or other spices of your choice brushed on as soon as it comes off the grill [or out of the oven]
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Have you ever used "Steak paint' [basically beef fat juices with salt.pepper,.garlic powder or other spices of your choice brushed on as soon as it comes off the grill [or out of the oven]
Many times...
Old September 15th, 2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Ray - Elected to implement your suggestion.

Perfect.
you even made a drip loop.
Old September 15th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Perfect.
you even made a drip loop.
I had a drip loop in the original fascia location. The frieze board will be far more removed from inclement weather compared to the fascia. Good suggestion.

Old September 15th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

Scheduled my 5th SARS-CoV-2 (Pfizer-BioNTech Bivalent COVID-19) vaccine injection (“updated booster,” which contain two messenger RNA (mRNA) components of SARS-CoV-2 virus: one of the original strain of SARS-CoV-2 and the other one in common between the BA.4 and BA.5 lineages of the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2) for tomorrow evening @ 6:30pm.
Old September 15th, 2022, 07:22 PM

That sucks, Tedd, do we need to pass the hat?

Never heard of steak paint, sounds intriguing.

Been spending the last two nights editing Thunder & Lightning and waiting for a part for my Chevy. Part arrived, so off I went. I had to cut plastic off the original shroud to turn it into a heavy duty cooling option shroud. Didn't like doing it, and I did not do it all that well, but it works. A three core Harrison has the same passenger tank as the four core, but the same driver tank as a two core. In other words, when going from 2 to 3 core, the driver's side tank is the same dimensions, but the passenger's side is thicker. So, I wanted for repro 4 core rubber cradles. Put those in on the top and bottom of the passenger side cradles, plopped the radiator in, got it finally seated right, and ran into a problem, which was the bowed in condenser from the wreck in the 80s contacted the new third core of the radiator, as a 2 core uses the back 2/3rds of the tanks, and the 3 core uses the whole width. Essentially, the radiator core front was now 3/4 inch forward, and the condenser barely touched, up high, center.

I did some redneck engineering and shimmed the top brackets for the condenser out 1/4 inch with two thick washers a piece on each bolt on each bracket, and that staged the top of the condenser enough for them to be right next to each other at closest point. Mounted top plate, shroud, trans cooler lines, hoses. I took the hose spring out. I am the slightest bit concerned about the molded curve in the top hose being just under enough to get on the radiator. The hose is not kinking, just slightly flexed at the top radiator port. Put the battery back in, bolted down, connected cables.

I need to put coolant in, and connect the one heater hose I am using as a vent and a secondary fill and clamp it, and put the cap on. Maybe a couple zip ties here and there, then done. I'll top off all fluids and begin test drives. It may need a can of R134A.

Last edited by Koda; September 15th, 2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old September 15th, 2022, 07:32 PM
Running On Empty

John - Sounds like a busy task fashioning modifications. Glad you were able to accommodate it all. Hope it all works out.
Old September 16th, 2022, 03:44 AM

John, looks good, Norm also looks good, Tedd so sorry to hear about the fire and loss of your cousin's place. Geez those fires!! Man.... Dan hope you have fun at the Pure Stock Drags. I enjoyed them, how many years ago was that I met you there? Seems like last year but prolly 5 years ago or more- time flies... Alright, you guys post those great recipes and pics of food, as I am eating my cold left over pizza and hot coffee, Breakfast of Champions! Not so bad really.....
Old September 16th, 2022, 04:50 AM

Heading norte

Getting there. This can sit for a while. No rain in the forecast

Old September 16th, 2022, 06:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's been so beautiful out when I leave for work the past few days. How nice to walk out and see stars and the moon.

This morning the wheels have been zipping past. We're on track to leave rather early. I asked why we can't work like this every day. The response was, we need an incentive. I thought our paychecks were the incentive.

Norm that looks scrumptious. Truly. (kind of references a movie...)

Don't know what I'll do after work today, but tomorrow after work, which I hope doesn't last too long, I need to take Mom to the store and get everything ready for me to be gone for a few days. I'm really looking forward to going to Reno next week. Been over a year since I was there last.

Some shindig in the hangar today. End of summer thing I guess. Probably cold Chick fil A's and drinks. Eh, it's free.

Okay hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old September 16th, 2022, 06:25 AM

Mike, Tell me more about soft top Blazer's frames twisting?
Are they not boxed like convertible frames?
Old September 16th, 2022, 07:03 AM

Koda, no need to pass a hat, the digs were insured for a million and a half, he has two other sheds he could move into if he doesn't move to Tennessee. He is in no need for food stamps.

Makes me hungry just reading these posts, that dead cow really looks good... Tedd
Old September 16th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I don't really know anything about the Blazer soft tops, but they are not like a convertible. The frame detaches from the body and the vehicle becomes topless. It's probably like those tent-like awning things people sit under at car shows. I'm envisioning the messing with the frame to be like the Brady Bunch putting up a pup tent.

Old September 16th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hm, I stand corrected.

Now, this looks like an aftermarket top, so it might be different.

Old September 16th, 2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Koda

John - Ingenious mods and nice work! That looks like the "Ultra-Wind Tunnel Shroud", maybe ya should market it!
Old September 16th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Good morning guys (but not morning by much),
Been busy since I got up, this is the first I've sat down. Got out to the garage and finished detailing the car. Put everything away and then thought I'd better check how many miles I've put on this thing since I last checked the oil. Well, it had been 493-miles since I last checked it and topped it off. So, being safe rather than sorry, I decided to check the oil, which is not the simplest of tasks because of obstructions in the way of a straight pull of the dipstick. Main obstructions are brake lines and distribution block that are directly in the way of a straight pull by hand.

I showed my wife the situation when I first got the car, and being the great engineer and fabricator she is, she fashioned me this handy dandy tool that allows me thread the tool thru the brake lines and hook onto the dipstick ring from up top, then holding onto the dipstick tube with my left hand so as not to put pressure on the tube, I can then pull the dipstick up thru the maze of brake lines until the dipstick ring is past them and pull it the rest of the way by hand. John, you would be proud of her.

Well, the oil level turned out to be only 4 to 6oz low. So I topped it off. It had been using/losing about 1/2 Qt. every 500-miles. But since the rear main seal leakage has essentially stopped with consistent driving, and I was able to fix the minor leak around the oil pressure sending unit it lost much less in 500-miles than it has before, which is good because it's not burning much at all.

Weather looks perfect for a car show tomorrow at a church about 25-miles from me, and gets over around 3pm, and then I'm headed to the Festus, MO Mayor's Cruisin Mainstreet event that is only slightly out of my way home. Should be a great car day!

We have a birthday boy in the house today, and it ain't me. Monty turns 6 today, and he is still full of **** and vinegar most of the time, and in great health. This is a good sign because the average lifespan of English Bulldogs is only 8 to 9-years, although many can live to be 10 to 13. I am thinking he will easily live to be 10 to 13-years old. I dread the day he passes, because my wife will be an absolute mess (me too probably). Here's a pic of him when he was still with the breeder and too young to even come home with us yet, but we had driven 200-miles to Springfield, MO to check him out. Now tell me, who would not immediately fall in love with this little guy. He melted our hearts that day, and has been a constant source of joy, mischief, amusement, and love since.

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 16th, 2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old September 16th, 2022, 10:58 AM

Chris, that's a nice extension.

The Monte Carlo shroud, 70-72, is a 70 Chevelle shroud with a tunnel stapled on to get back to the engine.

As you know, your brakes are not stock on that car, and that is what is in the way. Interestingly enough, cruise control that year called for a longer oil stick to clear the speed controller, which was right there.
Old September 16th, 2022, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, that's a nice extension.

The Monte Carlo shroud, 70-72, is a 70 Chevelle shroud with a tunnel stapled on to get back to the engine.

As you know, your brakes are not stock on that car, and that is what is in the way. Interestingly enough, cruise control that year called for a longer oil stick to clear the speed controller, which was right there.
John - Thanks, I'll let her know you liked her fabrication, it works like a charm! Ya, I know the brakes aren't stock, as well as alot of other stuff. If I ever have the need to have the brake lines replaced or worked on, I'm going to have the lines and that distribution block relocated out of the way. The brake set-up is the only thing I don't like very much on my car. I'd rather have manual drums all around than having to depend on that damn vacuum collection system working properly.
Old September 16th, 2022, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Nice job with the window sill and boarding - looks good.

Not much time to read posts - heading out for my BiValent booster.
Old September 16th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

I can already feel SARS-CoV-2 sub-variant B.5 inoculation kicking some booty baby...
Old September 16th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Mike, Tell me more about soft top Blazer's frames twisting?
Are they not boxed like convertible frames?
And convertibles with boxed frames will twist and bend. When I jack up the front of my car, I can't open the doors because the frame bows enough to jam them in place. I can't imagine taking it over an uneven boulder field as what one could do with a 4WD Blazer.
Old September 16th, 2022, 05:54 PM

About Blazer frames, I think they are basically shorter pickup frames. Pickups get no support from the body- there is a 1 inch or so gap between the box and cab.
Old September 16th, 2022, 06:27 PM

Greg, I think that was three years ago. I sent Chris an email a couple of days ago inquiring if he was going, but got no reply. I'll be heading there solo, as my buddy called earlier and cancelled.
Old September 16th, 2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Greg, I think that was three years ago. I sent Chris an email a couple of days ago inquiring if he was going, but got no reply. I'll be heading there solo, as my buddy called earlier and cancelled.
Dan - Surely you're talking about a different "Chris" than me, because I never received an email from you? I wouldn't be afraid to give out my email address to any of you guys, and would certainly respond if I got something from you. I'm just confused???
Old September 16th, 2022, 08:37 PM

D
an - Surely you're talking about a different "Chris" than me, because I never received an email from you? I wouldn't be afraid to give out my email address to any of you guys, and would certainly respond if I got something from you. I'm just confused???
Sorry about that. Yes a different Chris from White Cloud, Mi. He met Greg as well that time. He has a '68 W30, a '68 442, and a '68 Cutlass S, all four speed, Lansing built cars.
Old September 16th, 2022, 11:04 PM

Poured in antifreeze tonight, leaked from thermostat housing seal, so I pulled the top hose and saw it was leaking from the gasket to the intake, so I used the NOS radiator's NOS drain petcock and emptied half out and detensioned the alt and removed the bracket and pulled the housing and I think I had the thermostat not in the notch. Maybe.

New gasket, more sealer, back together. I am adding coolant up to block level before the alternator goes back on, though, in the morning, to make sure it's holding this time.
Old September 17th, 2022, 01:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning 4am!

A little bit of overtime never hurt anybody. What frosts me is having to stop at red lights when there is no other traffic around. Otherwise once I'm in the bunker it's like we're in a void that knows no time.

Jamesbo I guess I didn't get what you were asking. I don't know anything about the frame the body sits on. And evidently I don't know anything about the soft top, either. Kenneth I'm always afraid if I lift the car with the bumper jack or from the side the frame will bend and not go back. I always use a floor jack in the middle of the end I'm lifting. Oddly enough, on a Corvair(and VW) you put the jack just before the back wheel and both wheels come off the ground.

Guess I'll get to work. We had a lot of wheels all ready to go, besides the 9 he wanted after we finished yesterday, so we shouldn't be here too long. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 17th, 2022, 02:08 AM

Norm inspires me once again.

Happy birthday Monty

Old September 17th, 2022, 03:16 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Looks delicious.

Left arm sore from booster injection - usual small annoying knot. Club championship tee-time 11:20am. Swinging a golf club will work out that soreness is short order. Going to cut out that area of rotting wood where two pieces of fascia meet before heading to the club.

Old September 17th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Running On Empty

Well, that entire length of fascia from ridge to overhanging eave needs to be replaced quite honestly. There's wood but I wouldn't call it good wood. I don't know, I might be calling it by the incorrect term. It's really like an exterior rafter (1 3/4" thick x 8" high). I didn't measure it but between the two boards I suspect the length runs 30'. Whatever it's called, it should be replaced. And when it's replaced it really should have several purlins for bracing, IMO. I'd have to lift the roof sheathing along the entire length to replace and that's not going to happen by the current owner. I'll be on the other side of the grass when the next owner makes that decision.

I cut out a 24" length of board I'll replace. That should give me enough decent wood to arrest any further weathering in that area and provide additional needed support. I did a roof R&R 20 years ago and replaced any bad sheathing I found. The edge didn't look that bad or I would have replaced it. Some things you miss & they fail to catch your eye. Oh well, I'm not rebuilding an entire roof but instead addressing maintenance items. This roof is an add-on roof above an add-on addition (40' L x 20' W) which was traded out (in like payment) by the previous owners who owned the automotive service garage next door many years ago. One of those I'll build your addition for X-amount of $$ in your automotive service garage. This was probably during the 1940s/50s. Folks around here had most of their farm implements, machinery, tractors, trucks, cars, etc. serviced by this garage. The guy(s) who built this addition really didn't do a very good job. The spanning of the rafters are incorrect, the sizing (length) of the rafters are incorrect, I could go on.

Well, there's a little white ball with 388 dimples on it waiting for me to knock it about...
Old September 17th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Kenneth I'm always afraid if I lift the car with the bumper jack or from the side the frame will bend and not go back. I always use a floor jack in the middle of the end I'm lifting.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I put the floor jack under the front frame crossmember and lift both front wheels off the ground, then put jack stands under the frame on each side. That results in the frame flexing enough to jam the doors so either they won't open, or if they were open before the car was lifted, they won't close. It's kinda scary to think the car is bending that much.
Old September 17th, 2022, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

44/50 What a miserable blowup game. Eh, $hit happens. Gorgeous weather to play golf. I might have picked a better night (last night) to have been inoculated w/ the bivalent booster. No arm soreness - but a slight headache and feeling pretty dog tired - not completely exhausted, but I'm tired. I recall my first three injections (two regular + one booster) I had absolutely no issues. The fourth injection (2nd booster) was absolutely not severe or even severe, yet it did knock the dog poop out of me for one full day. The remainder of the day will be spent on the davenport rejuvenating my old tired whipped a$$. I have no plans for working on the roof prior to tomorrow's tee time @ 8:40am.
Old September 17th, 2022, 04:49 PM

Norm good call on the house renovations
' a man's gotta know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Dinne tonight

Old September 17th, 2022, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Norm good call on the house renovations...' a man's gotta know his limitations" Clint Eastwood.

Fine looking skewer you have there, Jim.